PDA

View Full Version : AGS Top 25 - How They Fared Week 9

superman7515
October 25th, 2014, 11:20 PM
Remember to please take an extra minute or two to double-check your ballots before hitting submit. You can really make a difference in easing things up a little on those who have to check every ballot line by line to make sure there aren't any duplicates or obvious mix-ups. Last week we saw Morehead State where Montana State should have been and I still swear that the vote for Sacramento State was meant for Sacred Heart. Watch out for those Jacksonville/Jacksonville State, Montana/Montana State, North Dakota/North Dakota State, South Dakota/South Dakota State, and Georgetown/Prairie View A&M mix-ups. Okay, I can kinda understand that last one. The point being, if everyone takes two extra minutes to make sure they put teams where they want them and don't have any duplicates, then all of those minutes add up to hours saved by the guys pulling double-duty (for free) to pull this thing all together.

Off my soapbox now and back to your regularly scheduled program...

Three losses in the Top 10 this week, all three to unranked teams. Four more losses between #11 and #25, including Southern Illinois who will now need to win out to reach our magical 7-win threshold and sweat it out on Selection Sunday. Then another five losses for the teams ranked #26 to #40, well, tied for #39 this week.

For the most part, all of the games are complete. Montana at Cal Poly just finished, so no recap is available yet, but I've linked to the box score until such time as they write something up. Every other game already has a recap entered into the links, not just a box score, so that may be helpful to see some games. The NEC is wide open with six of the seven teams still able to make a run. Bethune-Cookman managed to drop from first to fifth in the MEAC and now we might see South Carolina State win the conference while NC A&T and BCU sit on 10-win seasons. What a difference a day can make.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgtKAORz8z6vdDE5Y2o3Rkx3NzNpWG5aVVhKa1E4S FE&usp=sharing

For anyone who doesn't remember:
Green - Reached our magical seven D1 win threshold
Yellow - Must win out to reach seven D1 wins
Red - Can't reach seven D1 wins this season

Yes, I know it's not a hard and fast rule, but we've all seen that it does play a part. As always, if you see any errors, please let me know so that I can get that changed ASAP, and thank you for making "How They Fared" the number 1 tool on AGS for filling out your brackets each week.

JMUNJ08
October 25th, 2014, 11:25 PM
Thanks Supe, if only the voting banner was working for me...

ursus arctos horribilis
October 26th, 2014, 12:05 AM
Thanks Supe, if only the voting banner was working for me...

The voting banner won't work until I turn it on which is not necessarily when Supey posts this up. It is on now though. When you see the post from AGS Poll announcing it's open then all banners/links etc. should work.

Catbooster
October 26th, 2014, 12:48 AM
Montana State should be at 5 DI wins.

MTfan4life
October 26th, 2014, 01:23 AM
If you're looking for a team to throw into the bottom of your poll take a good look at a deserving team who is getting very little attention.

Presbyterian is 5-3, but two of their losses are to FBS opponents. Their other loss is to Coastal Carolina. They beat Western Carolina who I'm sure will get on a lot of ballots. They were the first team to start Furman's domino downfall. They also beat Monmouth, who I know had a lot of Northeast Coast Bias people wanting to vote for them, especially considering they were one of the teams Lehigh lost to. Also, they beat Charleston Southern. They have an impressive list of wins and ZERO bad losses. I think they deserve a shot to enter the lower ranks of your ballot! xthumbsupx

(For SFA fans who saw me come in and discredit them last weekend, I apologize and have more ranking respect this weekend.)

WestCoastAggie
October 26th, 2014, 06:21 AM
A&T was up on FAMU 40-14 in the fourth qtr until the final play of the game. Their Starting QB threw for over 230 yards and true Sophomore Denzel Keyes got three touchdowns and 125 yards receiving.

The MEAC as a whole is showing improvement. Morgan State, Norfolk State and North Carolina Central can still win the conference.

ejjones
October 26th, 2014, 07:01 AM
A&T was up on FAMU 40-14 in the fourth qtr until the final play of the game. Their Starting QB threw for over 230 yards and true Sophomore Denzel Keyes got three touchdowns and 125 yards receiving.

The MEAC as a whole is showing improvement. Morgan State, Norfolk State and North Carolina Central can still win the conference.
Plus A&T, Bethune, and SC State as if today. Good stuff with 3 conference games remaining.

Professor Chaos
October 26th, 2014, 09:19 AM
Bump.

Picking the most significant win and loss this week was tough. There were a lot of big wins/losses around the FCS yesterday.

JMUNJ08
October 26th, 2014, 09:50 AM
Bump.

Picking the most significant win and loss this week was tough. There were a lot of big wins/losses around the FCS yesterday.

Agreed. I ended up picking who made the biggest jumps up/ down in my poll. Seems simple but alot went into re-evaluating entire schedules to date and seeing who changed my opinion the most, not necessarily the best upset.

paward
October 26th, 2014, 10:25 AM
This week required a lot of work. Hard to push some good teams out of my poll.

DaBizon
October 26th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Most significant loss has to be EWUs loss to Northen Arizona

MTfan4life
October 26th, 2014, 12:23 PM

What makes you say that? Both Montana and SELA had their stud quarterbacks in their road losses to unranked teams. Eastern Washington is missing the guy who was in the running to win the Walter Payton award. Why would their losing without their best player be more significant than others who lost even though they had their best players??

semobison
October 26th, 2014, 12:55 PM
What makes you say that? Both Montana and SELA had their stud quarterbacks in their road losses to unranked teams. Eastern Washington is missing the guy who was in the running to win the Walter Payton award. Why would their losing without their best player be more significant than others who lost even though they had their best players??

Because they lost to a team that lost to 2-6 South Dakota and 2-6 Northern Colorado! EWU was suppose to be head and shoulder's the best team in a weak Big Sky this year!

FargoBison
October 26th, 2014, 12:57 PM
Montana will be my most significant loss, that loss dropped them like a rock in my poll.

citdog
October 26th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Montana will be my most significant loss, that loss dropped them like a rock in my poll.

Cal Poly whipped the Griz with an offense that Montana has never been able to slow down much less stop except when they blasted pigs ass, ga on the way to the Title. I knew it would be close because of the fact that the Griz Db's were recruited to cover receivers in a conference where most of the teams want to throw the ball 50 times a game. Yesterday they had to get off of blocks and tackle and they just couldn't do it. Cal Poly went through them like **** through a goose.

superman7515
October 26th, 2014, 01:12 PM
All of the Sagarin ratings have been updated for each team to reflect the games played yesterday. Try to get your ballots in soon so they have time to get back to anyone with a problem.

MTfan4life
October 26th, 2014, 01:13 PM
Because they lost to a team that lost to 2-6 South Dakota and 2-6 Northern Colorado! EWU was suppose to be head and shoulder's the best team in a weak Big Sky this year!

Why is it that Northern Arizona can be judged on those two games, but NDSU can't be judged on the Western Illinois and Weber State games? Do you know why? Because it's extremely stupid to judge a team on 25 percent of their season. I know that you would NEVER judge the Bison on their two worst games, but you find it incredibly natural to judge others in the same way. Why is that?

semobison
October 26th, 2014, 01:22 PM
Why is it that Northern Arizona can be judged on those two games, but NDSU can't be judged on the Western Illinois and Weber State games? Do you know why? Because it's extremely stupid to judge a team on 25 percent of their season. I know that you would NEVER judge the Bison on their two worst games, but you find it incredibly natural to judge others in the same way. Why is that?

Because we won both of those games! Our offense has been a work in progress but the O-line is starting to come into its own. And...WIU is a pretty good team, but pretty good doesn't cut it in the MVFC!

FargoBison
October 26th, 2014, 01:23 PM
Without VA EWU is an average at best team, don't get why that result is a massive shock. Surprise yes, but it is a game they win easily with VA.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 26th, 2014, 01:23 PM

I think it's SELA. They were a preseason Top 5/10 team who will likely miss the playoffs imo....

EWU can win out and be fine.....

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 26th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Because we won both of those games! Our offense has been a work in progress but the O-line is starting to come into its own. And...WIU is a pretty good team, but pretty good doesn't cut it in the MVFC!

Good response!

Bison won those games even not playing their best.

Big_Fan
October 26th, 2014, 02:01 PM
I think the EW loss was significant.

When we played EW last season, our starting QB and RB sustained game ending injuries in the first half. Prior to that, we were giving them all they wanted, and JSU fans are quick to say that we would have beaten EW, had those key players not gotten injured. We learned our lesson, went out and got a QB with the same skill set as our starter. It looks like EW didn't learn the lesson from us, and their drop-off is large.

That said, I think we know what would have happened had the tables been reversed and they lost VA, while we kept our QB.

I don't think EW is a threat to win it all - even with VA playing. He doesn't suit up for them on defense.

semobison
October 26th, 2014, 02:08 PM
Good response!

Bison won those games even not playing their best.

I don't think we played poorly in those two games, I just think we are getting better. Our offensive line with almost all new starters this season is starting to dominate, which is a scary thing for the rest of our opponents. We still hang our hat on our defense though!

Southern Bison
October 26th, 2014, 02:23 PM
Don't be all butthurt because your home conference is weak this year and the "best" team got beat by a cellar-dweller.

If I were you, I'd be more concerned about the Griz loss.

kalm
October 26th, 2014, 02:28 PM

I'm not going to say NAU is great, but for some reason they started Kyren Poe in that loss against UNC and he threw 4 int's including two pick 6's. They really should be 6-2, and just like the Bison they too are capable of improvement. Regardless, they close the season with UND, SUU, Weber, and Davis. This loss will more than likely look less worse as NAU should finish at or near the top of the conference and in the playoffs.

dgreco
October 26th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Don't forget about Sacred Heart's loss. Losing to SFU yesterday completely killed their at-large hopes (even if they were small). SHU has to win out and need a few teams to lose if they want to make the playoffs in 2014.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 26th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Don't be all butthurt because your home conference is weak this year and the "best" team got beat by a cellar-dweller.

Why should he be? He, I, and a lot of others have said we are not that good this year so your little work at a jab there doesn't mean **** SB. We aint' surprised at that loss.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 26th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Cal Poly whipped the Griz with an offense that Montana has never been able to slow down much less stop except when they blasted pigs ass, ga on the way to the Title. I knew it would be close because of the fact that the Griz Db's were recruited to cover receivers in a conference where most of the teams want to throw the ball 50 times a game. Yesterday they had to get off of blocks and tackle and they just couldn't do it. Cal Poly went through them like **** through a goose.

I'd like you to go look at the number of times we've played this offense and our wins and losses against it instead of just repeating bull**** you've heard others say. Cal Poly did whip us yesterday but we've spent a lot od days whipping their ass as well so cut the idiocy with the greatness of the triple option against the Griz. If you need me to I'll point out which teams were Triple option against uss in a historical perspective so you can do the math. Also, in the Wofford game in 07...the Socon couldn't hold them down as well as we did. Our offense couldn't put up the necessary FG but our defense did better than you Southern boys did against something you see all the time.

Get better, I'd like to see less dumb.

kalm
October 26th, 2014, 03:29 PM

Which best team got beat by a cellar dweller?

McNeese75
October 26th, 2014, 03:50 PM
I believe Bennett of SELU was sidelined yesterday

cpalum
October 26th, 2014, 04:24 PM
I'm not going to say NAU is great, but for some reason they started Kyren Poe in that loss against UNC and he threw 4 int's including two pick 6's. They really should be 6-2, and just like the Bison they too are capable of improvement. Regardless, they close the season with UND, SUU, Weber, and Davis. This loss will more than likely look less worse as NAU should finish at or near the top of the conference and in the playoffs.

NAU is kind of a Jekyll and Hyde team from my point of view. On one hand they have lost to South Dakota and UNC on another they beat CP and EWU. .....they got EWU at home and without VA, it was a winnable game. Not a huge upset in my mind.

I have to disagree that "they (NAU) really should be 6-2" They really should be 3-5. Their Cal Poly win was one part great last drive, one part great crowd and one part gift wrapped TD from the officials who boneheadedly said their RB wasn't down when he clearly was. So from my perspective Cal Poly really should be 6-2 and undefeated Big Sky play.xrolleyesx

Cocky
October 26th, 2014, 06:36 PM
Thanks

Catbooster
October 26th, 2014, 11:45 PM
This thread needs to be on the first page..