PDA

View Full Version : Samford Blowout Of Furman 45-0

SU DOG
October 25th, 2014, 05:07 PM
I even picked the Paladins to win this one - being the guru that I am. :) I was right about one thing, however, and that was when I said that Samford was the biggest waste of talent in the SoCon. This is a very talented team, but for some reason we have played like we were afraid to lose, rather than opening it up - until today. Eubank can throw and Hamilton can catch, Williams can run, and the O-Line finally played like they should. I'm sure that Paladin fans will say how young and injured Furman is and what a terrible game they played. Be that as it may, this was still the first time this year that I have seen the Dogs unleashed. Our defense fed off of the offense, and managed the first Furman shutout since Clemson in 1998.

Not meaning to gloat(well maybe just a little bit), and I know that realistically we are out of playoff contention, but isn't it fun when your team plays up to your expectations? I also know that Samford isn't really THAT good and Furman is nowhere near THAT bad.

CockyGeek
October 25th, 2014, 05:15 PM
It's cool... they'll still get several poll votes like they did last week, lol.

centennial
October 25th, 2014, 05:24 PM
Not sure if the Southern conference should get an at large this year. I had high hopes for Furman after last year.

kdinva
October 25th, 2014, 05:57 PM
don't worry, Furman......you get the Keydets next week to get better....

citdog
October 25th, 2014, 05:58 PM
BEST thing I have heard about Samford lately.

furman sucks

catamount man
October 25th, 2014, 06:23 PM
It's sad to see what has happened to Furman.

chattanoogamocs
October 25th, 2014, 08:48 PM
Not sure if the Southern conference should get an at large this year. I had high hopes for Furman after last year.

Only way it would happen would be for WCU to beat Chattanooga on Saturday and then both teams win out.

That would give WCU the autobid and Chattanooga would be 8-4 with a very good SOS (losses would be to 2 FBS teams, top 10 Jax St and WCU).

But the Mocs would once again be sweating on selection Sunday.

chattownmocs
October 25th, 2014, 08:56 PM
Chattanooga won't make it without the auto bid. As far as this game goes. Is furman still good furman fans. Any highlight plays to show us? Furman is 13-20 over the last 3 years. #elite

BisonFan02
October 25th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Chattanooga won't make it without the auto bid. As far as this game goes. Is furman still good furman fans. Any highlight plays to show us? Furman is 13-20 over the last 3 years. #elite

They also won a post season game and gave the Bison their toughest game of the playoffs last year. How many postseason appearances have you guys made?

dungeonjoe
October 25th, 2014, 09:59 PM
It's sad to see what has happened to Furman.
The river called denial has finally run dry and the sound of crashing arrogance is deafening in PurpleLand.

OL FU
October 26th, 2014, 07:01 AM
I even picked the Paladins to win this one - being the guru that I am. :) I was right about one thing, however, and that was when I said that Samford was the biggest waste of talent in the SoCon. This is a very talented team, but for some reason we have played like we were afraid to lose, rather than opening it up - until today. Eubank can throw and Hamilton can catch, Williams can run, and the O-Line finally played like they should. I'm sure that Paladin fans will say how young and injured Furman is and what a terrible game they played. Be that as it may, this was still the first time this year that I have seen the Dogs unleashed. Our defense fed off of the offense, and managed the first Furman shutout since Clemson in 1998.

Not meaning to gloat(well maybe just a little bit), and I know that realistically we are out of playoff contention, but isn't it fun when your team plays up to your expectations? I also know that Samford isn't really THAT good and Furman is nowhere near THAT bad.

I picked us also. Not so much because I thought we would win. More from the hopefulness that the way we played against CCU would continue and we would start the turn around like last year. There is only one way to name this. A butt whipping. In memory, I can't remember one that bad in a long long time. I could look it up, but I have no desire.

Kudos to Samford. you did everything right. We may not be the team to measure potential against, but I have a feeling if you would have played the entire season like that game, your record would be much different. Your defense covered well and your QB made great decisions. Even the few times we got pressure on him, he found the relief valve and delivered.

Furman - gawd. Unfortunately, the pass defense looked as bad if not worse that it did during the late 00s. We look like we were playing bend don't break that was always broke. Honestly, it looks like we might have a bigger issue. There was lots of optimism going into this game, that we were going to turn it around. The start of the game with the blocked punt for a TD, the long TD bomb on the first play from scrimmage by the Bulldogs, then the nice pass by Blaze that bounced out of the receiver's hands into the waiting Samford defender and the subsequent touchdown all within I think 7 minutes seemed to shake the team. They really didn't seem to have the drive to get it done outside of a brief period at the start of the second half. Not going to discuss the ad nauseam issue of injuries. They obviously have an impact but that don't explain the butt whipping we received in this game.

Once again, kudos to Samford. You looked really good.

- - - Updated - - -

don't worry, Furman......you get the Keydets next week to get better....

The unfortunately part of that statement is, after the first 4 games, my opinion was well at least we will beat VMI. Not so sure now.

- - - Updated - - -

furman sucks

For the first time in your life you may be right.

OL FU
October 26th, 2014, 07:03 AM
The river called denial has finally run dry and the sound of crashing arrogance is deafening in PurpleLand.

While you are in the pulpit this morning, ask the lord to help you be a little less sanctimoniousxthumbsupx

dungeonjoe
October 26th, 2014, 10:06 AM
While you are in the pulpit this morning, ask the lord to help you be a little less sanctimoniousxthumbsupx
You have heard it said "a prophet is not without honor except in his own country"xrotatehx

Reign of Terrier
October 26th, 2014, 02:26 PM
Ehhh, early this season when I was pointing out that furman had some problems offensively to work out after a poor showing against Mercer.

My criticisms were met with a listing of the teams Furman had beaten on a D1 level since the last time Wofford won a D1 game.

What's unfortunate is that Furman's losing streak to division one competition is now 2 games longer than Wofford's was, so the chickens have somewhat come home to roost there.

"I told ya so"s aside, Furman has a lot of injuries and injuries can derail a season, Wofford fans have experience with that, so I wouldn't jump on the "fire Fowler" bandwagon yet.

OL FU
October 27th, 2014, 05:26 AM
Ehhh, early this season when I was pointing out that furman had some problems offensively to work out after a poor showing against Mercer.

My criticisms were met with a listing of the teams Furman had beaten on a D1 level since the last time Wofford won a D1 game.

What's unfortunate is that Furman's losing streak to division one competition is now 2 games longer than Wofford's was, so the chickens have somewhat come home to roost there.

"I told ya so"s aside, Furman has a lot of injuries and injuries can derail a season, Wofford fans have experience with that, so I wouldn't jump on the "fire Fowler" bandwagon yet.

If anything I said hinted that I was for firing the coach, I said it incorrectly.

PaladinFan
October 27th, 2014, 07:01 AM

Do you really want to play "compare the records" with Furman? It'll take me until my 14th reason to say something other than "Championship."

Just for the sake of argument, imagine for a second if Jacob Husemann played only two quarters of football all season. UTC is mediocre, and that is with their All SoCon QB playing every game.

PaladinFan
October 27th, 2014, 07:14 AM
Furman sucked on Saturday. Worst showing in decades, probably. Injuries have little to do with a 45-0 loss. Furman fielded roughly the same team that nearly beat Coastal three weeks ago. The Paladins just didn't show up.

One cannot honestly evaluate Fowler at this point. This is the third year in a row he has had to play a ton of freshman and backups. Even Mercer has a more veteran team than Furman right now.

Injuries, I think, can explain some of the losses, but it does not explain Saturday's. Not showing up to play football is the only explanation for Saturday.

chattownmocs
October 27th, 2014, 07:21 AM
Do you really want to play "compare the records" with Furman? It'll take me until my 14th reason to say something other than "Championship."

Just for the sake of argument, imagine for a second if Jacob Husemann played only two quarters of football all season. UTC is mediocre, and that is with their All SoCon QB playing every game.

You can go about as far as you want, it wont change what is relevant. Not only is Furman a bad team right now, they are a bad program. I can imagine we wouldnt lose 6 in a row without Huesman. But Bennifield is probably better than any of your other QBs.