PDA

View Full Version : The Citadel at Western Carolina, Mr. C's Official Game Thread

Mr. C
October 25th, 2014, 12:29 PM
It has been a long while since I've been to E.J. Whitmire Stadium in the quaint mountain town of Cullowhee, N.C. It is a beautiful, crisp, sunny day with the mountains colorfully clothed with bursts of orange, red, brown and yellow. With Western Carolina riding the wave of first place in the Southern Conference, today's game is expected to be played before a full house on homecoming day. Parking places are hard to find in the lots around the stadium. Mark Speir, the one-time recruiting coordinator who helped Appalachian State in a large way win three consecutive national titles, has started to see his hard work pay off at WCU with a 5-2, 3-0 record. After winning just three games in two years, the Catamounts are legitimate threats to win the SoCon auto bid.

The Citadel has struggled against a typically tough schedule and is 2-5 overall and 0-2 in the SoCon. The Bulldogs are coming off a tough 34-14 loss to Chattanooga last week. But the triple option should be an interesting challenge for WCU today.

On a side note, WCU plays Chattanooga next weekend at home in a game that could decide the Southern Conference and auto bid.

Mr. C
October 25th, 2014, 12:57 PM
And it is time to break out the sunglasses in the E.J. Whitmire press box. Don't leave home without them. The Catamounts have taken the field just minutes before kickoff.

Mr. C
October 25th, 2014, 01:06 PM
Citadel WR Brandon Eakins dropped a pass inside the WCU 20, but the Bulldogs have picked up a couple of first downs from QB Aaron Miller's runs to get into Catamount territory.

Mr. C
October 25th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Aaron Miller just hobbled off with a leg injury after getting another first down at the WCU 40.

Mr. C
October 25th, 2014, 01:10 PM
A holding call wipes out a big Bulldog gain and moves the ball back to the WCU 48, but the Catamounts are called for defensive holding on the next play to give The Citadel a first down at the WCU 38.

Mr. C
October 25th, 2014, 01:12 PM
The Citadel uses a dive play to get to the 28, but a fumble on the play is recovered by WCU's Christian Gill.

Mr. C
October 25th, 2014, 01:13 PM
A highlight film block by QB Troy Mitchell drew big cheers from the crowd on WCU's first play from scrimmage and a first-down gain.

Mr. C
October 25th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Cornerback DeVonta Delaney showed some good coverage to make an interception at The Citadel 8 to give the Bulldogs the ball back with 9:34 left in the first period.

Mr. C
October 25th, 2014, 01:21 PM
The Citadel seemed to snap the ball on the wrong count, leading to a busted play and a fourth-down punt. WCU gets the ball back at the Bulldog 48.

WCU QB Troy Mitchell has a big run to The Citadel 25, despite making the wrong cut into the secondary.

- - - Updated - - -

Terryon Robinson with the catch for WCU and a first ana goal at the 9.

Mr. C
October 25th, 2014, 01:23 PM
A play-action slant pass from Mitchell for a WCU TD with 5:25 left in the first period. WCU 7, The Citadel 0. TE Tyler Sexton with the 8-yard TD catch.

Smitty
October 25th, 2014, 01:23 PM
Looks to be the largest crowd at WCU in a while.

Mr. C
October 25th, 2014, 01:28 PM
Holding on the WCU defense on a big pass rush gives The Citadel a first down at the WCU 42.

Mr. C
October 25th, 2014, 01:31 PM
Looks to be the largest crowd at WCU in a while.
The stands appear to be completely filled.

- - - Updated - - -

The Citadel runs to back-to-back first downs on the option down to the WCU 17.

Mr. C
October 25th, 2014, 01:38 PM
6-yard option keeper for the TD for Citadel QB Aaron Miller. Two-point conversion pass from the spread formation from holder Dane Anderson to Alex Glover makes it Bulldogs 8, Catamounts 7 with 47.4 seconds left in the first period.

Mr. C
October 25th, 2014, 02:00 PM
The Citadel was about to score off a long dive play when WCU's Trey Morgan stripped the ball away at the one and Christon Gill recovered in the end zone for the Catamounts. Still 8-7 The Citadel with 10 minutes left in the half.

Mr. C
October 25th, 2014, 02:06 PM
Dropped TD pass by a wide-open TE Sexton for WCU

Mr. C
October 25th, 2014, 02:07 PM
WCU is forced to settle for a field goal from 32 yards out. Sigmon misses wide right.

citdog
October 25th, 2014, 02:10 PM
time to Whip Fannies

Mr. C
October 25th, 2014, 02:25 PM
With 12 seconds left in the half after dueling interceptions, Mitchell to Robinson gives the Cats a first down at The Citadel 13.

Mr. C
October 25th, 2014, 02:26 PM
Completions to the one. 6.8 seconds left after the Vincent catch out of bounds.

Mr. C
October 25th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Robinson juggles a potential TD pass on the final play of the half in the back corner of the end zone. Initially it was ruled a TD and then quickly changed. The Citadel 8, WCU 7 at halftime.

- - - Updated - - -

time to Whip Fannies
I knew I'd here from you today. Sloppy game by the two teams so far.

citdog
October 25th, 2014, 02:30 PM
SoCon Refs SUCK! The Catamounts had a field goal attempt stolen from them right there. This conference has GOT to get better officials.

Smitty
October 25th, 2014, 02:32 PM
SoCon Refs SUCK! The Catamounts had a field goal attempt stolen from them right there. This conference has GOT to get better officials.

I am glad you agree there. Nothing like running the clock down on an incomplete pass.

Millwoch
October 25th, 2014, 02:35 PM

2 bad calls on last 2 plays. One benefits western and next the dogs.

Mr. C
October 25th, 2014, 02:55 PM
24-yard TD run for Detrez Newsome to give WCU a 14-8 lead with 12:31 left in the third period.

5 plays, 70 yards for the Catamounts on the opening drive of the second half.

Mr. C
October 25th, 2014, 03:16 PM
14 play drive by The Citadel ends with a fumble and a WCU recovery at the Catamount 26 with 2:58 left in the third period.

citdog
October 25th, 2014, 03:19 PM
14 play drive by The Citadel ends with a fumble and a WCU recovery at the Catamount 26 with 2:58 left in the third period.

This game is being refereed as badly as I have ever seen and that's saying SOMETHING. These guys are out of position and seem to be just guessing.

Mr. C
October 25th, 2014, 03:21 PM
WCU respomds with a 43-yard TD burst from Newsome for his second TD of the day. WCU 21, The Citadel 8. 1:19 left in the third period.

Mr. C
October 25th, 2014, 03:22 PM
This game is being refereed as badly as I have ever seen and that's saying SOMETHING. These guys are out of position and seem to be just guessing.
The official observer for the SoCon is sitting behind me in the press box. Maybe he will be reading over my shoulder.

citdog
October 25th, 2014, 03:23 PM
The official observer for the SoCon is sitting behind me in the press box. Maybe he will be reading over my shoulder.

That linesman has been out of position all day and lacks the nuts to make a call and stick with it. You KNOW which one I'm talking about.

Mr. C
October 25th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Great one-handed catch by Glover for The Citadel at the WCU 25.

Mr. C
October 25th, 2014, 03:26 PM
13,323 attendance at E.J. Whitmire Stadium today — 10th largest crowd in school history.

Mr. C
October 25th, 2014, 03:30 PM
27-yard QB draw TD run for Aaron Miller of The Citadel. WCU 21, The Citadel 15, 13:41 remaining.

citdog
October 25th, 2014, 03:32 PM
27-yard QB draw TD run for Aaron Miller of The Citadel. WCU 21, The Citadel 15, 13:41 remaining.

GREAT run by Miller.

Right back in it.

Mr. C
October 25th, 2014, 03:44 PM
The officiating continues to raise questions. The Citadel fumbled the ball away, but was saved when the runner was ruled down. I had my glasses on the ball carrier and the ball appeared to be coming out while he was still airborne.

Mr. C
October 25th, 2014, 03:46 PM
A false start on fourth and short forces a Citadel punt. WCU ball at the 4 with 5:29 left. The ball was originally touched at the 15. Ouch again.

citdog
October 25th, 2014, 03:49 PM
A false start on fourth and short forces a Citadel punt. WCU ball at the 4 with 5:29 left. The ball was originally touched at the 15. Ouch again.

It's sad that these kids give such a GREAT effort on BOTH sides and these guys just mail it in.

Mr. C
October 25th, 2014, 03:52 PM
Back-to-back big runs for Ramsey, the final one going 20 yards for the TD for WCU. Western Carolina 29, The Citadel 15 with 2:27 left after a two-point pass play.

citdog
October 25th, 2014, 03:55 PM
Poor tackling by the Cadets. We pushed this WCU defense around all afternoon. That fumble after the 50 yard run was the difference. Nice win for the Catamounts but things continue to bounce their way. Those tend to even out as the season goes along.

proasu89
October 25th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Congrats Cats!

kdinva
October 25th, 2014, 05:55 PM
13,323 attendance at E.J. Whitmire Stadium today — 10th largest crowd in school history.

I'm looking for 15,000 + next week.....

catamount man
October 25th, 2014, 06:17 PM
CATS SWEET THE SOUTH CAROLINA SOCON TEAMS!!! 6-2, 4-0 in SoCon! GO CATS!!!

catamount man
October 25th, 2014, 06:22 PM
Poor tackling by the Cadets. We pushed this WCU defense around all afternoon. That fumble after the 50 yard run was the difference. Nice win for the Catamounts but things continue to bounce their way. Those tend to even out as the season goes along.

No offense but it's about time some things bounced our way. Your QB is all that BTW. Very impressed with Mr. Miller. Hope you boys win out the rest of 2014. GO CATS!

tenNesseeCat
October 25th, 2014, 09:50 PM
Good game plan by the citadel today! I think Huston has them headed in the right direction!

CID1990
October 26th, 2014, 07:04 AM
Thats all fine and dandy but right now we stink out loud.

dungeonjoe
October 26th, 2014, 10:41 AM
CATS SWEET THE SOUTH CAROLINA SOCON TEAMS!!! 6-2, 4-0 in SoCon! GO CATS!!!
Every cat has his day.

The Cats
October 26th, 2014, 04:13 PM
For a big part of the game, The Citadel was able to grind out those 3 to 5 yards gains on the ground. Keeping the WCU offense off the field and wearing down the Catamount defense, this was our worst fear from the Bulldogs. This strategy works, IF you don't turn the ball over somewhere during the drive - like the 1 yard line. I'd like to think the Catamount defense had a big part in those turnovers.

Like Mercer, the next two years could be big for the Bulldogs, if they can hold on to Houston. xnodx

ElCid
October 26th, 2014, 04:27 PM
For a big part of the game, The Citadel was able to grind out those 3 to 5 yards gains on the ground. Keeping the WCU offense off the field and wearing down the Catamount defense, this was our worst fear from the Bulldogs. This stragety works, IF you don't turn the ball over somewhere during the drive - like the 1 yard line.

No joke. We could have and probably should have won. I knew it would be a cat and dog fight but I think the two turnovers deep by the Dogs knocked it out of them. Plus the Dog's D is still giving up too many big plays. Our best D is to keep the ball but I guess even 35 minutes is not enough. We have kept the turnovers in check until this game. It was an exciting game to watch even if we lost. It was also fun to be in a stadium that was full. Plus it is always nice to see that HUGE WCU band. Congrats to the Cats. I will give the edge to Chatty next week, but a WCU victory is easily possible.

Catamount87
October 27th, 2014, 08:44 AM
"We should have won." Geez, we've heard that from Furman, Mercer, Wofford and now Citadel fans. Only once in all of those games has WCU been behind, 8-7 at half this past weekend against The Citadel. As the old saying goes "woulda, shoulda, coulda but you didn't".

tenNesseeCat
October 27th, 2014, 09:23 AM
We coulda, woulda, shoulda beat USF & PC, and put up more points/gave up less than we did in our wins!

OL FU
October 27th, 2014, 09:25 AM
"We should have won." Geez, we've heard that from Furman, Mercer, Wofford and now Citadel fans. Only once in all of those games has WCU been behind, 8-7 at half this past weekend against The Citadel. As the old saying goes "woulda, shoulda, coulda but you didn't".

Which Furman fan thought we should have won the WCU game.xeyebrowx Someone may have said it but I can recall who or why they would have.

Reign of Terrier
October 27th, 2014, 03:16 PM

The only people saying the should coulda woulda deal are the voices in your head.

For instance, Wofford lost fair and square to Western, but I'm sure if were to meet again it could go either way, just by virtue of how the big plays (or lack there of) determined the game

ElCid
October 27th, 2014, 06:12 PM

It was not a knock on Western, but on the shoddy ball handling of the Dogs. You guys played exactly like you needed to, but if those fumbles did not happen, two especially, we score both times. But you guys forced at least one of those maybe both and that is why you deserved to win. Freshman mistakes, hopefully they will learn. As for our Defense, I am not sure how the Dogs will fix it. That was too many yards. But when I think about it, the fact that you guys had 600+ yards and only scored 4 times makes me think we did something right on D, just can't figure out what that is yet.

Catamount87
October 28th, 2014, 09:49 AM
ElCid, I think both teams shot themselves in the foot often enough. That interception that Mitchell threw right to the defender with no a receiver in sight is a perfect example of us shooting. That false start penalty on 4th down is an example of y'all doing the same, as were most of the fumbles. The one fumble on the 1 yard line, give credit to the defender, Trey Morgan, what an outstanding defensive play to strip the ball. BTW, Gill should have downed that in the endzone and not tried to return it. That was another mental mistake that basically cost us 13 yards.

Anyway, it was a hell of a good game! One thing is for sure, the boys in light blue don't ever give up as long as there's time on the clock.

tenNesseeCat
October 28th, 2014, 10:15 AM
ElCid, I think both teams shot themselves in the foot often enough. That interception that Mitchell threw right to the defender with no a receiver in sight is a perfect example of us shooting. That false start penalty on 4th down is an example of y'all doing the same, as were most of the fumbles. The one fumble on the 1 yard line, give credit to the defender, Trey Morgan, what an outstanding defensive play to strip the ball. BTW, Gill should have downed that in the endzone and not tried to return it. That was another mental mistake that basically cost us 13 yards.

Anyway, it was a hell of a good game! One thing is for sure, the boys in light blue don't ever give up as long as there's time on the clock.

I know two of the fumbles and the int were all good defensive plays on our part. As you stated, Morgan punching the ball out and Gill there to pick it up was all about them not giving up on the play. One of the other fumbles along the sideline was forced because we had a handful of guys there trying to strip the ball and waiting to jump on the loose ball. From what i could see, the int was a pretty good throw from Miller. Morgan again made a good defensive play by undercutting the receiver. He's got some speed.

ElCid
October 28th, 2014, 10:03 PM

It was hard for me to see from my seat but as soon as he ran it out I thought what was he thinking he gave up 13 yards by running it out. The emotional roller coaster of that play did me in.