PDA

View Full Version : Gordie Lockbaum

TaTownBacker
November 8th, 2006, 11:29 AM
I must admit I have heard the legend, but I really know nothing about him. I am 27 so I was young when he was playing.

Was he really that good? What made him get the 3rd most votes for the Heisman? Any dance with the NFL? Thanks guys.

Ta TownBacker

AppStWill
November 8th, 2006, 12:40 PM
I don't remember his stats right off the top of my head, but I know he played nearly every down of the game......2 way player, and excelled on both sides of the ball & special teams.

UNHFootballAlum
November 8th, 2006, 12:44 PM
I played against him for one year. He played both way and was equally great at both. That is what got him noticed by the Heisman voters. He was never off of the field. As a defense you knew that he was the focal point, but you could not stop him and as an offense, you went away from his side of the field on passing plays.

ngineer
November 8th, 2006, 12:49 PM
I saw him play and was duly impressed. He was a very deserving Heisman candidate..:nod:

Uncle Buck
November 8th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Good article about him from back in '04. I was only in high school at the time he played but I certainly recall the name and accomplishments.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/articles/2004/05/02/a_familar_name_re_emerges?pg=2

GoGuins
November 8th, 2006, 01:03 PM
I remember his name, I too was in high school when he played. I remember him mentioned in the Heisman race

carney2
November 8th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Here are some stats and facts that I found about Gordie Lockbaum:

1987 - Tim Brown of Notre Dame won the Heisman; Lockbaum was 3rd.

1986 - Vinny Testaverde won the Heisman; Lockbaum was 5th.

1987 - Football News I-AA Player of the Year

44 TDs - All scored in only two years - his junior and senior seasons.

146 tackles, 4 sacks, 5 interceptions

He played (preseason only) with the Steelers and Bills

Go...gate
November 8th, 2006, 05:15 PM
The best football player on perhaps the greatest I-AA team ever - Holy Cross '87. (11-0-0, voted #1 in the polls. However, PL had a ban on post-season play at the time). I saw him play a couple times and he was a pleasure to watch.

Franks Tanks
November 8th, 2006, 06:51 PM
The best football player on perhaps the greatest I-AA team ever - Holy Cross '87. (11-0-0, voted #1 in the polls. However, PL had a ban on post-season play at the time). I saw him play a couple times and he was a pleasure to watch.

A true I-AA football legend, he was simply spectacular. Its hard to wrap your head around the fact that he really played both ways each and every play

TaTownBacker
November 8th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Sounds unbelieveable. I could barely survive a game where I played defense and special teams. Sounds like the type of guy who is good at any sport.

Ta TownBacker

Pard94
November 9th, 2006, 10:22 AM
I was in HS and watched him run all over Villanova on their field. He was a man among boys. Franks Tanks, you stole my avitar!

Pard94
November 9th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Upon closer inspection...i think they are different. nevermind.

Franks Tanks
November 9th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Upon closer inspection...i think they are different. nevermind.

Similar, mine is from the 2002 game it look like your is from circa 1998 if im correct?