PDA

View Full Version : Maine @ UMass

ChickenMan
November 8th, 2006, 07:46 AM
this could be a very interesting game. UMass is coming off a big win at UNH and could be facing somewhat of a letdown situation vs a 5-3 Maine team that is probably better than their record indicates. I still think that UMass is the best team in the A10 and maybe the best in I-AA... but if I were a UMass fan this Maine game would really concern me. Maine's defense is good enough to keep the game close and if UMass isn't really ready to play... they could get upset.

Dukie95
November 8th, 2006, 07:51 AM
All eyes are on this game in the A-10. While JMU fans are half-jokingly picking Maine to win on the CAA boards, we know deep down that it's UMass' game to lose, and they are rightfully favored to win.

Just don't take it personally when we all wear our Black Bear attire this weekend. :)

bandl
November 8th, 2006, 07:54 AM
All eyes are on this game in the A-10. While JMU fans are half-jokingly picking Maine to win on the CAA boards, we know deep down that it's UMass' game to lose, and they are rightfully favored to win.

Just don't take it personally when we all wear our Black Bear attire this weekend. :)
Why do you even have Maine attire?? :confused: I'll still be wearing my JMU gear while rooting for both JMU AND Maine! :cool:

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 8th, 2006, 07:55 AM
I'm looking to see how UMass handles a good defense... They really haven't been challenged in that way yet. UNH's D just isn't up to par, and even Navy's isn't quite as choking as Maine's is IMO.

BillLuc1982
November 8th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Go Maine!

BillLuc1982
November 8th, 2006, 07:57 AM
I'm looking to see how UMass handles a good defense... They really haven't been challenged in that way yet. UNH's D just isn't up to par, and even Navy's isn't quite as choking as Maine's is IMO.

Well, YSU scored 34 points against Maine and they could have done better. I hope Maine's defense improves, though :cool:

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 8th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Well, YSU scored 34 points against Maine and they could have done better. I hope Maine's defense improves, though :cool:

Point taken :bang:

ChickenMan
November 8th, 2006, 08:23 AM

wasn't that the season opener... a team can change quite a bit... for better or worse in two months.

PurpleandGold
November 8th, 2006, 08:27 AM
I'm pulling for Maine so we can dispense with the speculation as to JMU's seed should they win out, but quite frankly I'm more worried about a Villanova team that just offed Richmond and a Towson team that, should they beat Richmond, will be itching to down us to get to the playoffs. Both are road games for us...not gonna be a cakewalk.

BillLuc1982
November 8th, 2006, 08:27 AM
wasn't that the season opener... a team can change quite a bit... for better or worse in two months.

Yes YSU actually played kind of sloppy then. I'm pulling for you guys to beat UMass so YSU can get a seed!

bkrownd
November 8th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Maine has spoiled the parade before...

Dukie95
November 8th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Why do you even have Maine attire?? :confused:

Your package from MaineJeff must still be in the mail. :smiley_wi

PenguinPride23
November 8th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Go Maine, improve our SOS and open up a seed for us xprost2x

TSU84returntoglory
November 8th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Maine's D jumped all over us - sacked Schaefer 9 times and held us to 7 at home. We moved the ball a bit, but fizzled near the red zone. I was impressed with their size and speed. Since Schaefer missed the UMass game, all comparisons are off. He IS our team. :bow: Don't sleep on the Black Bears. UMass should win by 7.

Chi Panther
November 8th, 2006, 03:22 PM
BIG GAME!!!!:nod:

mainejeff
November 8th, 2006, 04:22 PM

1st game of the year on the road. They gave up 17 vs. W&M and 22 vs. BC and that's been about it.

Umass74
November 8th, 2006, 04:30 PM
UMass is second in I-AA scoring defense with 11.0 PPG.

Maine is tied for eight in I-AA scoring defense with 12.8 PPG

here . (http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2006&div=5&rpt=IAA_teamscordef&site=org)

DB_Atlantic10
November 8th, 2006, 05:31 PM
this could be a very interesting game. UMass is coming off a big win at UNH and could be facing somewhat of a letdown situation vs a 5-3 Maine team that is probably better than their record indicates. I still think that UMass is the best team in the A10 and maybe the best in I-AA... but if I were a UMass fan this Maine game would really concern me. Maine's defense is good enough to keep the game close and if UMass isn't really ready to play... they could get upset.

With seeding interest in mind, I'm sure UMass won't have a let down... if Maine wins, it will be an outright win......

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 8th, 2006, 05:47 PM
With seeding interest in mind, I'm sure UMass won't have a let down... if Maine wins, it will be an outright win......

This is the season for Maine... I'm sure the coaches are getting the team really prepared for this game.

Sam Adams
November 8th, 2006, 05:55 PM
This should be a good game. Maine is always a tough opponent. Its unfair to compare how they played in their opener versus the Penguins to the type of football team they are now. Maine will come ready to play football and UMass will have to do the same if they expect to win.

mainejeff
November 8th, 2006, 07:33 PM
UMass is second in I-AA scoring defense with 11.0 PPG.

Maine is tied for eight in I-AA scoring defense with 12.8 PPG

here . (http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2006&div=5&rpt=IAA_teamscordef&site=org)

Maine is:

#3 in Rushing Defense
#4 in Total Defense
#4 in Sacks
#4 in Tackles for a Loss

UMass is #13, #13, #27, and #63 respectively.

Maine here. (http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2006/Internet/ranking_summary/2006000000380.HTML)

UMass here. (http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2006/Internet/ranking_summary/2006000000400.HTML)

umassfan
November 8th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Maine is:

#3 in Rushing Defense
#4 in Total Defense
#4 in Sacks
#4 in Tackles for a Loss

Maine here. (http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2006/Internet/ranking_summary/2006000000380.HTML)

UMass here. (http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2006/Internet/ranking_summary/2006000000400.HTML)

You win and lose by points. Yardage means JACK!

mainejeff
November 8th, 2006, 08:47 PM
You win and lose by points. Yardage means JACK!

1.8 points difference? Did you play Youngstown and BC, or Colgate and Navy.......JACK?

You need yardage to score points.

bainsey
November 8th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Since we're talking points, let's look at scores from common opponents...

Villanova: UMass beat away 31-21, UMaine beat at home 20-7.
W&M: UMass beat at home 48-7, UMaine beat away 20-17.
Towson: UMass beat away 35-0, UMaine beat away 28-7.
Northeastern: UMass beat away 7-0 in a rainstorm, Maine beat 30-3 on a dry day at home.
Rhode Island: UMass beat 41-16 at home in decent weather, UMaine lost 3-0 in a road rainstorm.

Apparently, UMass has a bit more offensive firepower. But, they've never faced a D-unit like the Black Hole, and the Black Hole hasn't faced an offensive presence like UMass (except MAYBE BC). We'll see how each responds.

Already got my tickets on the 35... can't wait for this one!

FlyYtown
November 8th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Should be a good game!! Of course I would be delighted to see Maine win... Because then there is a shot we take the UMASS Seed!!!

Go YSU.. This game could be a good barometer to how the GFC and A10 are this year... remember 34-14!

umassfan
November 8th, 2006, 11:01 PM
Should be a good game!! Of course I would be delighted to see Maine win... Because then there is a shot we take the UMASS Seed!!!

Go YSU.. This game could be a good barometer to how the GFC and A10 are this year... remember 34-14!
Week one buddy week one. That seems almost like last year.

umassfan
November 8th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Since we're talking points, let's look at scores from common opponents...

Villanova: UMass beat away 31-21, UMaine beat at home 20-7.
W&M: UMass beat at home 48-7, UMaine beat away 20-17.
Towson: UMass beat away 35-0, UMaine beat away 28-7.
Northeastern: UMass beat away 7-0 in a rainstorm, Maine beat 30-3 on a dry day at home.
Rhode Island: UMass beat 41-16 at home in decent weather, UMaine lost 3-0 in a road rainstorm.

Apparently, UMass has a bit more offensive firepower. But, they've never faced a D-unit like the Black Hole, and the Black Hole hasn't faced an offensive presence like UMass (except MAYBE BC). We'll see how each responds.

Already got my tickets on the 35... can't wait for this one!

Also has Maine faced a D like UMass(besides BC)

umassfan
November 8th, 2006, 11:08 PM
1.8 points difference? Did you play Youngstown and BC, or Colgate and Navy.......JACK?

1.8 pts could mean the difference between a W and L. BC and Navy are very close in scoring average. BC scores 25.86 pts per game and Navy 25.11 so those two games are a wash. YSU and Colgate I have no arguement for though. Stony Brook after getting killed by the A10 average 21 pts a game now but im not sure about Shaw.

BDKJMU
November 9th, 2006, 12:19 AM
Maine is:

#3 in Rushing Defense
#4 in Total Defense
#4 in Sacks
#4 in Tackles for a Loss

Also UMass has had more lopsided wins, which might mean they've given up some mid-late 4th quarter TDs and yardage with backups in/ prevent d/letdown which would have added some to the opponents offensive stats, making the Umass d on paper appear a little less dominant than it actually is. Thats happened to JMU in 5 lopsided wins- JMU giving up close to 16 pts per game, but about a third of thats in garbage time. Haven't seen either team play, but me thinks UMass d is probably a little better.

umassfan
November 9th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Also UMass has had more lopsided wins, which might mean they've given up some mid-late 4th quarter TDs and yardage with backups in/ prevent d/letdown which would have added some to the opponents offensive stats, making the Umass d on paper appear a little less dominant than it actually is. Thats happened to JMU in 5 lopsided wins- JMU giving up close to 16 pts per game, but about a third of thats in garbage time. Haven't seen either team play, but me thinks UMass d is probably a little better.
You are right about giving up points late with backups in the game. Dont know how many to be honest but all that doesnt mean much. Just need to win on Sat.

Sam Adams
November 9th, 2006, 02:26 AM

WRONG! You only need points to score points.

Tribe4SF
November 9th, 2006, 05:21 AM
Haven't seen either team play, but me thinks UMass d is probably a little better.

I've seen them both, and UMass is better. On offense, UMass is much better.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 9th, 2006, 07:40 AM

If you woulda said touchdowns there I'd have thought you were John Madden...

mainejeff
November 9th, 2006, 08:05 AM

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Sorry that Maine's defense has been just as good as the UMass defense. Why can't you just admit it?

Now the offense on the other hand.......:(

mainejeff
November 9th, 2006, 08:06 AM
I've seen them both, and UMass is better. On offense, UMass is much better.

If you're a W&M fan, then I can see why you would think that. That was pretty early in the season though.

mainejeff
November 9th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Maine has allowed 27 points (5.4 points per game) in its last 5 A-10 games. They are getting very little respect for that.

BillLuc1982
November 9th, 2006, 08:14 AM

Exactly! The Pittsburgh Steelers' game vs. the Oakland Raiders this year proves that. As does the Steelers' game in 2002 vs. the Texans where they lost 24-6, even though they allowed a few yards. Turnovers also contribute to points. Usually turnovers make the big difference!

And may I add Steve McNair's 500+ yard performance versus YSU in the 1994 playoffs. Alcorn State still lost 63-20.