PDA

View Full Version : Best AA RB?

Delaware Ghostrider II
November 7th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong....was Hershel Walker AA, but I myself think Westbrook has down real good in college and pros

Mountaineer
November 7th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Didn't Walker play at Georgia?

Peems
i think if we are talking strictly in college then most everyone will say that AP definitely is deserving. however some big sky backs could be mentioned as well. Charles Roberts anyone?

BlueHen86
Walker played at Georgia

dbackjon
November 7th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Archie Amerson of NAU - Payton Award Winner.

But, obviously, the best was Sweetness......

Retro
November 7th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Walter Payton didn't play in I-AA...

My homer vote: Henry Fields - Mcneese State - Mid 90's.

Adrian Peterson definitely one of the top 3 if not the best.

Mountaineer
November 7th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Adrian Peterson's "The Run" against Youngstown State.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftVLoFWZA7s

:bow: :bow:

ysubigred
November 7th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Walter Payton didn't play in I-AA...

Adrian Peterson definitely one of the top 3 if not the best.

Adrian Peterson Best I've ever seen. Single handedly kill the 99 YSU team in Chatty :bow: GSU fans post the video of AP picking up YSU's all American Smiley and tossing him out of bounds on his way to the end zone xsmileyclapx

Sam Adams
November 7th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Jerry Azumah (UNH), Westbrook (NOVA) & Marcel Shipp (UMASS) were pretty good. UMASS has another pretty good back right now in Baylark who has joined some elite company (Azumah & AP) :nod:

grizband
November 7th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Adrian Peterson Best I've ever seen. Single handedly kill the 99 YSU team in Chatty :bow: GSU fans post the video of AP picking up YSU's all American Smiley and tossing him out of bounds on his way to the end zone xsmileyclapx
He also killed Montana in Chattanooga the next year: cue "son of the run" memories here.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 7th, 2006, 10:43 PM

Geesh thats some peewee tackling skill right there!

PaladinFan
November 7th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Herschel Walker was out of Johnson County, Georgia. He, along with Erk Russell, were the essential components in Georgia's national championship in 1980.

JDC325
November 7th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Geesh thats some peewee tackling skill right there!

Not Pee Wee tackling trust me I saw him do that for four years. Ask Montana, UMASS, Northern Arizona etc etc etc and the rest of the SoCon if good tackling was even able to bring him down most of the time. Appy was the only team ever to legitimately hold him under 100 yards. (We still won that game)

Homer or not it is not even close it is AP and then you can debate about number 2 all you want.

UMass922
November 7th, 2006, 11:12 PM

That's a freaking Tecmo Bowl run. You're not supposed to be able to do that in real life. Wasn't that play nominated for an ESPY or something? Anyway, yeah, AP gets my vote too.

DB_Atlantic10
November 7th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Walter Payton - Jackson St. Althought I-AA had not been classified when he was there..... So, there may be some debate...although the SWAC is still the SWAC...

Retro
November 7th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Walter Payton - Jackson St.

Once again, Walter Payton didn't play in I-AA. There was no I-AA when he played.xcoffeex

DB_Atlantic10
November 7th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Once again, Walter Payton didn't play in I-AA. There was no I-AA when he played.xcoffeex How ironic... I added my comment as you were writing this....

seantaylor
November 8th, 2006, 12:26 AM
AP. Division 1's(A and AA) all time leading rusher by a good margin.

3rd Coast Tiger
November 8th, 2006, 12:54 AM
...although the SWAC is still the SWAC...

Hmmm with his SWAC background he sure did suck as a professional. :rolleyes:

How could I forget Jerry Rice was garbage too. :rolleyes:

When Payton and Rice was in the SWAC, the SWAC was on a totally different level. Most of you old heads should realize that.

Sam Adams
November 8th, 2006, 06:49 AM
Anyteam that Walter was on was by definition on a different level then at any time before or since.

SunCoastBlueHen
November 8th, 2006, 07:48 AM
I have seen both Peterson and Westbrook play live against the Hens. Peterson was very workman like, got his 100+ yards, but was far from spectacular. Westbrook, on the other hand, absolutely killed the Hens - running the ball, catching passes out of the backfield, and returning kicks. It is this multidimensionality that makes Westbrook the better back IMHO.

Of course, this is about the 250th time we have recycled this discussion. The GSU guys, joined by others from the So Con will argue for Peterson until they're blue in the face. The A-10 guys will tout Westbrook, Shipp and Azumah and other names will be scattered in from other conferences. The fact is that they were all excellent backs and we will tend to lean toward the player we saw in action more often.

LacesOut
November 8th, 2006, 08:53 AM
http://photos.imageevent.com/icdra/ebonyunion/icons/Brian%20Westbrook.bmp.jpg

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/ALKDFJBICMGA/west_121505.jpg

'Nuff said.

letsgopards04
November 8th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Joe McCourt (01-05) from Lafayette. I think that the drive in 03 against Lehigh sums up his awesomeness. A game where Glavic couldn't hit the braod side of a barn and Joe carried the offense down the field to take the lead.

mcveyrl
November 8th, 2006, 09:36 AM
That's a freaking Tecmo Bowl run. You're not supposed to be able to do that in real life. Wasn't that play nominated for an ESPY or something? Anyway, yeah, AP gets my vote too.

xlolx xlolx xlolx

Yea, not only was AP a great back (the greatest, IMO), but he also helped bring some good pub to I-AA.

GannonFan
November 8th, 2006, 11:09 AM
I go with Westbrook over Peterson - AP was a great back, no doubt, but Westbrook could do it all from running, to catching it out of the backfield, to even kick returns. I saw them both in person and Westbrook was clearly the more impressive and dynamic. But these are both in the top 5 of anyone's list.

Dallas Demon
November 8th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Joe Delaney, Northwestern State and KC Chiefs great. The guy was incredible.

Longhorn
November 8th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Westbrook...hands down...he was murder everytime we played JMU.

Peems
November 8th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Not Pee Wee tackling trust me I saw him do that for four years. Ask Montana, UMASS, Northern Arizona etc etc etc and the rest of the SoCon if good tackling was even able to bring him down most of the time. Appy was the only team ever to legitimately hold him under 100 yards. (We still won that game)

Homer or not it is not even close it is AP and then you can debate about number 2 all you want.

actually the semifinal game against furman in 01' he had less than a hundred.

JDC325
November 8th, 2006, 03:01 PM
actually the semifinal game against furman in 01' he had less than a hundred.

At that point it was not an issue and did'nt he battle some toe injuries and actually miss some games that year?

Peems
November 8th, 2006, 03:13 PM
he might of... but during his "tenure" didnt GSU only lose 7 games?

blueballs
November 8th, 2006, 04:13 PM
he might of... but during his "tenure" didnt GSU only lose 7 games?

That's correct. They were 52-7 with 2 NC's during his 4 years. He was first team AA all four years and set over 90 NCAA records. He set every meaningful rushing record there was and won like nobody else and was a leader and a role model. I really don't know what other criteria one could evaluate a college player on.

In the playoff game against Furman where he got held under 100 he got speared in the back (not a dirty hit, just part of the game) and had back spasms in the second half. He could barely stand up, let alone run.

Furman played great, deserved the win (although we handed it to them) but he was playing hurt big time in the second half.

Peems
November 8th, 2006, 04:17 PM
thats what i am most impressed with, the winning. while westbrook made the wildcats good he didnt put them on the same stratosphere as GSU. for that reason i pick peterson. though its not to say that GSU didnt have talent around peterson either.

Baldy
November 8th, 2006, 05:10 PM
1. Adrian Peterson - the most spectacular jaw-droppin' player to ever suit it up in I-AA.
2. Everyone else.

DB_Atlantic10
November 8th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Hmmm with his SWAC background he sure did suck as a professional. :rolleyes:

How could I forget Jerry Rice was garbage too. :rolleyes:

When Payton and Rice was in the SWAC, the SWAC was on a totally different level. Most of you old heads should realize that.

I wasn't putting down the SWAC...in meant the SWAC is still I-AA, but we know their contribution to the PROS yesterday and today... I grew up under the SWAC and could have played at Jackson St./MS. Valley State out of HS...way way way back in the day.......

cosmo here
November 8th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Joe McCourt (01-05) from Lafayette. I think that the drive in 03 against Lehigh sums up his awesomeness. A game where Glavic couldn't hit the braod side of a barn and Joe carried the offense down the field to take the lead.

Erik Marsh (15th) and McCourt (26th) give Lafayette two of the top 30 rushers in I-AA history. Marsh is one of four players with more than 1,000 carries . . what a beating that guy was taking, and giving out.

He and McCourt were both around 4.7 yards per carry, not exceptional, but they kept the chains moving. That's the kind of back the Patriot League seems to turn out, if they're phenomenal athletes, they're probably going somewhere else.

JohnStOnge
November 8th, 2006, 07:21 PM

I never was all that impressed with Fields. I thought he played on a real good team but I think Vick King was a much better running back. I think King was the best running back McNeese has had since it's been in I-AA.

Fields used to drive me crazy because, I think, he was slow getting to the hole. He would kind of hestiate. He had good speed so that if he did get in the open field he could do something. But he was not, to me, the kind of back that you could rely on in tough goal line, red zone, and short yardage situations.

Heck, I think that Jamie Leanord guy McNeese has right now is better than Fields was. A lot better, in my opinion. He seems to have good vision. He makes decisions quickly and hits the holes. To me, Feilds used to kind of pitter pattern around a lot and get whacked while he was deciding where he was going to go.

JohnStOnge
November 8th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Just as kind of an interesting note: Peterson has averaged slightly more yards per carry (4.7) in the NFL than Westbrook has (4.6).

Frankly, Peterson is one of those cases that's always perplexed me. It's a guy who has performed when they've given him the ball but for some reason people have decided he's a backup.

FUtilitspurple
November 8th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Not trying to slow down the praise of AP. I agree he's the best in 1-AA history. But Louis Ivory does hold the Socon records for most yards gained in 2, 3, 4, and 5 consecutive games and most yards in a season. This includes a conference record 301-yard performance that Adrian Peterson (along with GSU fans) probably remembers very well. In 2000, Ivory had as good a year as anybody in 1-AA history. Just throwin that out there.

SunCoastBlueHen
November 8th, 2006, 09:10 PM
The "best ever" running back does more than just plow the ball up the middle. He creates a multi-threat for defenses to adjust to on every play -that's what makes him more valuable to the team. Any of the Peterson supporters care to post the Westbrook vs. Peterson receiving stats?

blueballs
November 8th, 2006, 09:22 PM
The "best ever" running back does more than just plow the ball up the middle. He creates a multi-threat for defenses to adjust to on every play -that's what makes him more valuable to the team. Any of the Peterson supporters care to post the Westbrook vs. Peterson receiving stats?

Let's compare the three ultimate statistics: touchdowns, wins and titles.:p At the end of the day those are all that matter.

MR. CHICKEN
November 8th, 2006, 09:26 PM
PETERSON.....IS DUH BEST PURE RB/FB....TA EVERAH TROD ON TUBBY GRASS..........(WESTBROOK ALL PURPOSE)........BUT DELAWARE'S...DARYLL BROWN.......OURAH OWN WING-T FULLBACK.....AN' YANKEE CONFERENCE CAREER YARDAGE LEADERAH.....DURIN' HIS TIME......TALKIN' 'BOUT THUNDERAH...............AWK!

Retro
November 8th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Some stats to chew on.......

Career yard per game.., Minimum 2,500 yards and concluded his career.

1. Arnold Mickens - Butler 190.7 per game, 20 games.
2. Adrian Peterson - Ga Southern 156.2 per game, 42 games.
3. Aaron Stecker - W. Illinois 154.1 per game, 20 games.

MR. CHICKEN
November 8th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Some stats to chew on.......

Career yard per game.., Minimum 2,500 yards and concluded his career.

1. Arnold Mickens - Butler 190.7 per game, 20 games.
2. Adrian Peterson - Ga Southern 156.2 per game, 42 games.
3. Aaron Stecker - W. Illinois 154.1 per game, 20 games.

A. P. ....DAT'S...22 MO' GAMES....DAT D-CO-ORDINATORS HAD TA PLAN...TA DE-RAIL DAT TRAIN!.....(AGIN' DUH LIKES....O' APPY...PILGRIMS...FURBALLS...'GUINS....HENS...ALL DUH ELITE)......BRAWK!

ARNIES' 190.7.......YEAH BUT....IT WAS BUTLER MAN..........AWK!

GannonFan
November 9th, 2006, 09:28 AM
thats what i am most impressed with, the winning. while westbrook made the wildcats good he didnt put them on the same stratosphere as GSU. for that reason i pick peterson. though its not to say that GSU didnt have talent around peterson either.

Yeah, football's a team game - hard to judge a running back based solely on how his team did. Even the best running back only gets the ball 30-35 times a game, so that's maybe half of the offensive plays. And of course he doesn't play defense so he's only involved in maybe 1/4 of all the plays in one football game.

straightshooter
November 9th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Don't forget that Peterson rushed for more than 100 yards in 48 consecutive games (playoffs included), and 56 times in his career. Including playoffs, which the NCAA does for stats these days, AP had more tha 9,000 yards rushing and more than 100 TDs.

Westbrook was a better all-purpose back, since GSU didn't throw much at all, but when the game was on the line, no one has ever been better than AP. And when you consider that teams always loaded the box with eight or nine defenders and he still performed that way - he's got to be considered the best all-time.

89Hen
November 9th, 2006, 10:53 AM
It is this multidimensionality that makes Westbrook the better back IMHO.
I agree. Peterson was the best runner, but Westbrook the better overall IMO.

1. Brian Westbrook
2. Adrian Peterson
3. Jerry Azumah
4. Charles Roberts
5. Jamaal Branch

JDC325
November 9th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Not trying to slow down the praise of AP. I agree he's the best in 1-AA history. But Louis Ivory does hold the Socon records for most yards gained in 2, 3, 4, and 5 consecutive games and most yards in a season. This includes a conference record 301-yard performance that Adrian Peterson (along with GSU fans) probably remembers very well. In 2000, Ivory had as good a year as anybody in 1-AA history. Just throwin that out there.

One thing to consider is EVERY team we ever played absolutely knew he was going to get the ball, WE HAD NO PASSING GAME. Every team loaded up the box on every play and he still could not be stopped. No other RB on here had defensive coordinators planning a game around specifically around them period. No other RB mentioned matches his stats, highlights or RINGS!

89Hen
November 9th, 2006, 11:53 AM
RINGS!
Rings, shmings. Great that he has them, but GSU has rings with and without AP. Rings do not equal the best individual players. Look at the Brady/Manning debate right now. Brady has the hardware, but Manning is by far a better QB.

umassfan
November 9th, 2006, 11:56 AM
I agree. Peterson was the best runner, but Westbrook the better overall IMO.

1. Brian Westbrook
2. Adrian Peterson
3. Jerry Azumah
4. Charles Roberts
5. Jamaal Branch
Jamaal Branch over Marcell Shipp. I dont know about that one. :nono:

JDC325
November 9th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Rings, shmings. Great that he has them, but GSU has rings with and without AP. Rings do not equal the best individual players. Look at the Brady/Manning debate right now. Brady has the hardware, but Manning is by far a better QB.

xidiotx OK. Like I said he had the STATS, HIGHLIGHTS and RINGS. Clean sweep in every category you want to go and no way GSU wins those NC's without him ask any Montana fan on here! I would have a Brady, or Elway than a Manning or Marino any day of the week. Hard to wear stats on your finger.

SunCoastBlueHen
November 9th, 2006, 12:32 PM
No other RB on here had defensive coordinators planning a game around specifically around them period.

That's a bunch of BS. I would say ALL of the great RBs had to be game planned around. Particularly Westbrook because there were so many different ways to get the ball in his hands. As a matter of fact, he still causes game planning nightmares for DCs today. The Eagles offense is not the same without him and much more difficult to prepare for when he is in the lineup.

GannonFan
November 9th, 2006, 12:38 PM
xidiotx OK. Like I said he had the STATS, HIGHLIGHTS and RINGS. Clean sweep in every category you want to go and no way GSU wins those NC's without him ask any Montana fan on here! I would have a Brady, or Elway than a Manning or Marino any day of the week. Hard to wear stats on your finger.

Uh, the argument of the uninformed. So under your rationale, the best way to determine who the best was is to simply look at the number of titles the team won. Under that rationale, at pretty much every position on the field, a Georgia Southern guy would automatically be the best player at that position because his team or program has the most wins. GSU would have the best RB, QB, OG, OT, C, DE, DT, LB, CB, and safeties under that rationale. Who's the best WR of all time? Jerry Rice? Nah, no rings, can't be. Randy Moss? Nah, he just has the one ring and we all know that was a IA team anyway. No, the answer has to be Charles Johnson. For those of you who don't know who that is, that was the starting WR on those AP teams so he, by virtue of the rings, becomes the greatest AA WR of all time. Goofy logic.xidiotx

http://www.nicoles-funworld.de/windowcolor/farbvorlagen/goofy/GOOFY01.jpg

parr90
November 9th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Peterson also ran for 150 against a very good Georgia Defense that was determined he wouldnt continue his 100 yrd per game rushing streak against them.

parr90
November 9th, 2006, 12:49 PM
That's a bunch of BS. I would say ALL of the great RBs had to be game planned around. Particularly Westbrook because there were so many different ways to get the ball in his hands. As a matter of fact, he still causes game planning nightmares for DCs today. The Eagles offense is not the same without him and much more difficult to prepare for when he is in the lineup.

But Georgia Southern didnt throw the ball and teams knew exactly were
adrian would get the ball. All a defense had to do is line up and stop the run which didnt happen with him.

SunCoastBlueHen
November 9th, 2006, 01:12 PM
But Georgia Southern didnt throw the ball and teams knew exactly were
adrian would get the ball. All a defense had to do is line up and stop the run which didnt happen with him.

Georgia Southern ran the same offense before AP, with AP and after AP with great success. It was a difficult offense to prepare for and stop - period. Sure, they didn't throw the ball, but they ran it at you in 100 different ways.

Villanova adjusted their offense to find creative and varied ways to get the ball in Westbrook's hands. He was such a dymanic player that the offensive gameplan revolved around him.

Peterson was a great back for the GSU system. Villanova created a system to get the most out of their great back.

JDC325
November 9th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Uh, the argument of the uninformed. So under your rationale, the best way to determine who the best was is to simply look at the number of titles the team won. Under that rationale, at pretty much every position on the field, a Georgia Southern guy would automatically be the best player at that position because his team or program has the most wins. GSU would have the best RB, QB, OG, OT, C, DE, DT, LB, CB, and safeties under that rationale. Who's the best WR of all time? Jerry Rice? Nah, no rings, can't be. Randy Moss? Nah, he just has the one ring and we all know that was a IA team anyway. No, the answer has to be Charles Johnson. For those of you who don't know who that is, that was the starting WR on those AP teams so he, by virtue of the rings, becomes the greatest AA WR of all time. Goofy logic.xidiotx

http://www.nicoles-funworld.de/windowcolor/farbvorlagen/goofy/GOOFY01.jpg

Hello? Is this thing on? I also said STATS and HIGHLIGHTS. Of course rings dont matter alone but when he was the most important player in attaining those rings it does. I you dont think rings matter concerning a legacy then we will just have to disagree. I am not taking anything from Westbrook but GSU did not have to think of ways to get Adrian the ball no matter who we played or how any team tried to shut him down UGA, and Oregon included. Just as many yards came right up the middle into the teeth of stacked box defense as pitches to the outside. Adrian single handedly put the team on his back during the NC against Montana during the last TD drive WE DONT WIN THAT GAME WITHOUT HIM PERIOD thats why rings matter concerning AP. Not trying to be smart but to bad Westbrook does not have much playoff or NC game stats to compare.

89Hen
November 9th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Jamaal Branch over Marcell Shipp. I dont know about that one. :nono:
Why would I be surprised you came up with a UMass player for the list. :rolleyes: Shipp was great but I have Branch at 5.

JDC325
November 9th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Georgia Southern ran the same offense before AP, with AP and after AP with great success. It was a difficult offense to prepare for and stop - period. Sure, they didn't throw the ball, but they ran it at you in 100 different ways.

Villanova adjusted their offense to find creative and varied ways to get the ball in Westbrook's hands. He was such a dymanic player that the offensive gameplan revolved around him.

Peterson was a great back for the GSU system. Villanova created a system to get the most out of their great back.

Until this year:bawling: We have pretty much ran the same offense and yet no other back in our history really comes close to matching AP's numbers. We did not have to find ways to get him the ball it was handed to him with every team knowing that and yet he smashed every record and defense in front of him. There is no telling what his numbers would be if PJ went out of his way to get him he ball.

BTW
There were countless games where AP did not see the fourth quarter and sometimes the entire second half due to the fact he allready had nearly 200 yards and the games were out of reach. Was that the case for Westbrook? If AP played every minute possible his numbers would be atleast a third higher than what they are now. That is why its AP and then whoever.

GannonFan
November 9th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Until this year:bawling: We have pretty much ran the same offense and yet no other back in our history really comes close to matching AP's numbers. We did not have to find ways to get him the ball it was handed to him with every team knowing that and yet he smashed every record and defense in front of him. There is no telling what his numbers would be if PJ went out of his way to get him he ball.

BTW
There were countless games where AP did not see the fourth quarter and sometimes the entire second half due to the fact he allready had nearly 200 yards and the games were out of reach. Was that the case for Westbrook? If AP played every minute possible his numbers would be atleast a third higher than what they are now. That is why its AP and then whoever.

nova's run a similar offense ever since Talley's been their coach and no one at nova has approached Westbrook's numbers either. And if those games were always so much out of reach one has to wonder how many weeks GSU was playing quality competition. You're not insinuating that AP played a lot of patsies, are you? xlolx

As an aside, did you ever see Westbrook play in college?

SunCoastBlueHen
November 9th, 2006, 01:59 PM

OK. So we can agree that Peterson excelled in the GSU system and was the best ever in that one dimensional role. It was still one dimensional, however and that is why I think Westbrook was the best back overall. Peterson may have been the best runner, but a complete back has to do more than that which is why Westbrook is a starting back on Sundays and AP is covering kickoffs.

JDC325
November 9th, 2006, 02:15 PM
nova's run a similar offense ever since Talley's been their coach and no one at nova has approached Westbrook's numbers either. And if those games were always so much out of reach one has to wonder how many weeks GSU was playing quality competition. You're not insinuating that AP played a lot of patsies, are you? xlolx

As an aside, did you ever see Westbrook play in college?

No he and we were that good that is why we have those NC's. Yeah the SoCon was really weak to go along with the Pac 10 and the SEC.xlolx All those playoff teams were weak too. Please... and you say no one at Nova has approached Westbrook's numbers well his dont approach AP's.

JDC325
November 9th, 2006, 02:19 PM
OK. So we can agree that Peterson excelled in the GSU system and was the best ever in that one dimensional role. It was still one dimensional, however and that is why I think Westbrook was the best back overall. Peterson may have been the best runner, but a complete back has to do more than that which is why Westbrook is a starting back on Sundays and AP is covering kickoffs.

Not saying one is better than the other now in the NFL but AP is playing behind some very good backs and when he has got the chance he has done well. Excelled does not cover it when you own virtually every record.
One dimensional is more a testament to his skills. No way Westbrook could have got the yards AP has running right up the gut.

He did it all four years as well can you say that about Westbrook? You could not say Walter Payton award without thinking of AP not being the front runner his ENTIRE career not just one, two or three.

I guess at this point we will just have to disagree but it is clear in the STAT book, W's, playoff appearances, conference titles and rings who ACCOMPLISHED more anyway. The only tie I guess is Payton Awards.

89Hen
November 9th, 2006, 02:26 PM
One dimensional is more a testament to his skills.
:confused: That's perhaps the most odd statement I've seen this year. AP was flat out the best rusher in I-AA history. I think everyone has pretty much said that. But to not have to catch or block puts him at #2 for a lot of people, including me. To imply that it's crazy to have anyone besides AP at #1 is well, crazy.

JDC325
November 9th, 2006, 02:30 PM
:confused: That's perhaps the most odd statement I've seen this year. AP was flat out the best rusher in I-AA history. I think everyone has pretty much said that. But to not have to catch or block puts him at #2 for a lot of people, including me. To imply that it's crazy to have anyone besides AP at #1 is well, crazy.

I should have said records and stats not skills my bad. Nothing was created for him or contrieved just here is the ball now run over everyone one the way to the endzone. No screens or reverses just pure ability, talent and drive.

foghorn
November 9th, 2006, 02:38 PM

Suncoast, you are 100% correct. Westbrook was much more versatile than Peterson. As a matter of fact, just from the UD/GSU game alone, I thought that the GSU QB was more valuable to them than Peterson.
I'd also put Azumah and Shipp ahead of Peterson as better running backs than AP, as seen in Delaware Stadium.
It was discussed on Philly TV that a way to stop the Eagles is to put a 'spy' on Westbrook so he can't get those stat-inflating dumps by McNabb to him and make McNabb throw downfield. Seems to be working.
BTW, is Peterson still playing in the NFL? Hey, I'm sure he was an excellent RB, but no comparison to Westbrook, college or pro.:nono:

JDC325
November 9th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Suncoast, you are 100% correct. Westbrook was much more versatile than Peterson. As a matter of fact, just from the UD/GSU game alone, I thought that the GSU QB was more valuable to them than Peterson.
I'd also put Azumah and Shipp ahead of Peterson as better running backs than AP, as seen in Delaware Stadium.
It was discussed on Philly TV that a way to stop the Eagles is to put a 'spy' on Westbrook so he can't get those stat-inflating dumps by McNabb to him and make McNabb throw downfield. Seems to be working.
BTW, is Peterson still playing in the NFL? Hey, I'm sure he was an excellent RB, but no comparison to Westbrook, college or pro.:nono:

To bad his stats and ring fingers dont back that up. :nono:

GannonFan
November 9th, 2006, 02:42 PM
I should have said records and stats not skills my bad. Nothing was created for him or contrieved just here is the ball now run over everyone one the way to the endzone. No screens or reverses just pure ability, talent and drive.

Aw come on, are you now trying to say that GSU just ran a single wing offense and ran it up the gut all the time? Geez, you're only one year removed from the spread option and already your memory's getting foggy. The spread option is all about misdirection and keeping the defense guessing - that's why it's pretty much related to the triple option (which is incorrect as passing is a 4th option). It wasn't just smash mouth football - the QB (who IMO is the most important cog in that offense anyway - notice that GSU never won a title without a very good QB at the helm) makes all the reads and makes the ball handling play fakes that made that offense run. "Here is the ball now run over everyone" - please, that's revisionist history and you should know that. :nono: :nono: :nono:

foghorn
November 9th, 2006, 02:47 PM
To bad his stats and ring fingers dont back that up. :nono:
His current paycheck of $4M/yr. is proof enough for me.:D

JDC325
November 9th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Aw come on, are you now trying to say that GSU just ran a single wing offense and ran it up the gut all the time? Geez, you're only one year removed from the spread option and already your memory's getting foggy. The spread option is all about misdirection and keeping the defense guessing - that's why it's pretty much related to the triple option (which is incorrect as passing is a 4th option). It wasn't just smash mouth football - the QB (who IMO is the most important cog in that offense anyway - notice that GSU never won a title without a very good QB at the helm) makes all the reads and makes the ball handling play fakes that made that offense run. "Here is the ball now run over everyone" - please, that's revisionist history and you should know that. :nono: :nono: :nono:

Adrian was the fullback in the TO. Just as many if not more runs right up the gut for HIM. Leaving out two rings and and all the conference titles all we have to go on is opinion and STATS ...guess. So that make me 1-0-1 and you 0-1-1. I win peace out. xlolx

JDC325
November 9th, 2006, 03:01 PM
His current paycheck of $4M/yr. is proof enough for me.:D

Yeah but no rings there either.xlolx xlolx xlolx
I guess he will have enough money to buy one on Ebay one day.xlolx xlolx
Philly chokers or should I say pukers!!!xlolx xlolx xlolx
To bad all that "NFL talent" could not win the big one.
BTW what is there record right now with such a superb athlete like Westbroke on the team?xlolx xlolx

I did not know NFL experience or a paycheck counted in college stats either.xidiotx

GannonFan
November 9th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Adrian was the fullback in the TO. Just as many if not more runs right up the gut for HIM. Leaving out two rings and and all the conference titles all we have to go on is opinion and STATS ...guess. So that make me 1-0-1 and you 0-1-1. I win peace out. xlolx

Well, let's go stats then - the best I can find off of the NCAA site are the 2000 and 2001 stats, when both guys were juniors and seniors. If you have both the stats from their earlier years please put them up. Westbrook was hurt and didn't play in 1999 so I think he has stats in 1997 and 1998.

AP - 230 rushes 1361 yards 13 TD's I can't find anything on pass reception or yards and he didn't return kicks

Westbrook - 179 rushes 1220 yards 15 TD's 59 receptions 724 yards 5 TD's 1048 kickoff return yards 2 kickoff return TD's

AP - 261 rushes 1459 yards 18 TD's again nothing on pass receptions or kick returns

Westbrook - 249 rushes 1603 yards 22 TD's 59 receptions 658 yards 6 TD's 440 KOR yards 1 KOR TD

AP may have been the better career rusher (although not by that much really) but he pales in comparison to Westbrook as an all-around back. Westbrook was a leading receiver and kick returner as well as being the featured running back. And in the last 2 years of college, Westbrook was the better rushing running back of the two and again grossly eclipsed AP in terms of pass catching and kick returns. I don't see from the stats how you could possibly say that AP was a better all around RB than Westbrook, so does that put stats in Westbrook's favor now as well? As for opinion, heck, you're a GSU homer backing your own guy - I'm a UD fan who despises nova and couldn't root more against Westbrook in college - who has bias there? Like I said, show me the stats for both as freshmen and sophomores and then we'll talk, but it's quite clear, as upperclassmen, that Westbrook was significantly better statswise than AP.

GannonFan
November 9th, 2006, 03:12 PM
BTW what is there record right now with such a superb athlete like Westbroke on the team?xlolx xlolx

I did not know NFL experience or a paycheck counted in college stats either.xidiotx

Come on, man, save that for the smack board - stick to the discussion. :nonono2: :nonono2:

foghorn
November 9th, 2006, 03:14 PM

Please, I'm not an Eagle's fan.: smh :
As you know, stats don't tell the whole story and since I'm not a stats freak, I can't argue the relative, collegiate numbers game with anyone. I do know, however, that usually the true ability of a running back becomes apparent in the pros, where most offensive lines are similar in ability and technique. The better running backs usually demand, and get, the bigger checks. :p That's just how it is in this capitalist society.:twocents:

JDC325
November 9th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Please, I'm not an Eagle's fan.: smh :
As you know, stats don't tell the whole story and since I'm not a stats freak, I can't argue the relative, collegiate numbers game with anyone. I do know, however, that usually the true ability of a running back becomes apparent in the pros, where most offensive lines are similar in ability and technique. The better running backs usually demand, and get, the bigger checks. :p That's just how it is in this capitalist society.:twocents:

What is happening in the NFL has nothing to do with what they did in 1-AA football. Just because Westbrook sees the ball more or lives in a bigger house now does not change what they did in college. If that were true HOW did TO coming from UTC get so good. I guess since he is so good now he was the best in 1-AA.xidiotx I guess we need to redistribute the Payton awards since most Payton award winners did not excell in the NFL.xidiotx :twocents: :twocents: There is my four cents since money NOW makes your point more valid in regards of what happened in the past.xidiotx

GannonFan
November 9th, 2006, 03:26 PM
What is happening in the NFL has nothing to do with what they did in 1-AA football. Just because Westbrook sees the ball more or lives in a bigger house now does not change what they did in college. If that were true HOW did TO coming from UTC get so good. I guess since he is so good now he was the best in 1-AA.xidiotx I guess we need to redistribute the Payton awards since most Payton award winners did not excell in the NFL.xidiotx :twocents: :twocents: There is my four cents since money NOW makes your point more valid in regards of what happened in the past.xidiotx

Westbrook did win the Payton Award, when he and AP were seniors. Stick to the topic - I gave you the stats when they were juniors and seniors and Westbrook vastly outperformed AP - do you have their respective freshmen and sophomore numbers? As their careers went on in college, AP seemed to peak and even regress while Westbrook got better and better. Strangely, too, once AP lost the great supporting casts he had in those title years, his numbers slipped - hmmmm. Maybe it was the supporting cast around him earlier on that gave him those numbers? :nod:

MountaineerDrive
November 9th, 2006, 03:29 PM
When a fullback dive cannot be stopped, even when you know its coming time and time again, game after game, you are great. Most triple option teams have a fullback run for 150 one game, then 10 the next when they take that away and the wingback runs for 150, then 10 and the QB for 150 the time after that etc. AP couldn't be stopped week in and week out. It was uncanny. Bryant Westbrook is a more multitalented back no doubt, but AP didn't need to be multitalented because he was so dominant. Nearly every football coach in America would love to run it right up the middle of the defense and not have to worry about his running back catching passes out of the backfield and pass protecting. GSU could do that with AP...

GannonFan
November 9th, 2006, 03:31 PM
When a fullback dive cannot be stopped, even when you know its coming time and time again, game after game, you are great. Most triple option teams have a fullback run for 150 one game, then 10 the next when they take that away and the wingback runs for 150, then 10 and the QB for 150 the time after that etc. AP couldn't be stopped week in and week out. It was uncanny. Bryant Westbrook is a more multitalented back no doubt, but AP didn't need to be multitalented because he was so dominant. Nearly every football coach in America would love to run it right up the middle of the defense and not have to worry about his running back catching passes out of the backfield and pass protecting. GSU could do that with AP...

I'd agree with that if all they did was run it up the gut. However, that was just a portion of the offense and the defense had to respect the QB as well as the slot backs running the ball, not to mention the occassional pass. This wasn't the single wing where every play everyone knew AP was running the ball - he still only got 1/4 to a 1/3 of the touches on offense. Oh, and you need to take into account the offensive line then as well - there is no running game without an offensive line.

SunCoastBlueHen
November 9th, 2006, 03:35 PM

AP - 230 rushes 1361 yards 13 TD's I can't find anything on pass reception or yards and he didn't return kicks

Westbrook - 179 rushes 1220 yards 15 TD's 59 receptions 724 yards 5 TD's 1048 kickoff return yards 2 kickoff return TD's

AP - 261 rushes 1459 yards 18 TD's again nothing on pass receptions or kick returns

Westbrook - 249 rushes 1603 yards 22 TD's 59 receptions 658 yards 6 TD's 440 KOR yards 1 KOR TD

Clear advantage to Westbrook. What say ye JDC? You wanted to argue stats...

Go...gate
November 9th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Since we are only using the years since the I-AA founding:

Keith Elias (Princeton)

Rich Erenberg (Colgate)

Kenny Gamble (Colgate)

Brian Westbrook (Villanova)

Adrian Peterson (GSU)

I was also thinking of Ed Marinaro of Cornell, Dick Jauron of Yale and Hank Bjorklund of Princeton, but they were all pre-1978.

JDC325
November 9th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Clear advantage to Westbrook. What say ye JDC? You wanted to argue stats...

Like I said there were MANY of a games where AP did not even SNIFF the second half also he missed TWO games his Senior year due to injury. Dont take my word ask a playoff team like Northern Arizona, FAMU, etc etc I bet NOVA had Westbrook in every offensive play of the game and if AP had done that this debate would even bee less than a joke it allready is. xlolx WHY only the last two years did Westbrook Suck that bad his freshman and Sophmore year? We are talking ALL time not a junior and senior all star team. Hmm lets see I wonder what coach in their right mind would trade a two year star for a FOUR year star and two NC's.
We will not even take into consideration PLAYOFF STATS since even with ALL of Westbrooks talent Villanova made to how many NC games?

89Hen
November 9th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Like I said there were MANY of a games where AP did not even SNIFF the second half also he missed TWO games his Senior year due to injury.... Villanova made to how many NC games?
xidiotx xidiotx Yeah, don't let the stats fool you.

AP - 230 rushes 1361 yards 13 TD's... that's 5.9 per carry

Westbrook - 179 rushes 1220 yards 15 TD's... that's 6.8 per carry and 2 more TD's on 51 less carries

AP - 261 rushes 1459 yards 18 TD's... that's 5.6 per carry

Westbrook - 249 rushes 1603 yards 22 TD's .... that's 6.4 per carry and 4 more TD's on 12 less carries

That, plus 14 more TD's and 2,870 yards on catches and KO returns.

Shine those rings all you want. Kurt Rambis has five.

SunCoastBlueHen
November 9th, 2006, 05:17 PM

Westbrook - 179 rushes 1220 yards 15 TD's... that's 6.8 per carry and 2 more TD's on 51 less carries

Westbrook - 249 rushes 1603 yards 22 TD's .... that's 6.4 per carry and 4 more TD's on 12 less carries

Well, that settles it. The GSU faithful can still take pride in having the second best running back to ever play I-AA football. :D

JDC325
November 9th, 2006, 05:23 PM

What happened to the other two years? Oh those dont fit your arguement. :nono: I'll take FOUR years and TWO NC's GSU does not get without HIM to go please. AP was the MJ of our team the BULLS dont win crap without HIM niether does GSU. Nova did not win crapola with Westbrook except a CO conference championship.Oh those are not my words those are Jim Donnans the former head coach of UGA when comparing him to MJ. Like I said what were his stats in the Playoffs again against THE BEST competion in 1-AA? Oh he only made it once to bad. xcoffeex

BTW
What records does Westbrook Hold?

JDC325
November 9th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Well, that settles it. The GSU faithful can still take pride in having the second best running back to ever play I-AA football. :D

I guess if you only want two years and NOTHING but CO conference championship with the "best" "running" back in 1-aa. I would be more than happy to have the second choice..xlolx
Look up in the record book under running back in 1-AA you will see AP not Westbrook there.

http://www.ncaa.org/library/records/football/football_records_book/2005/2005_d1_football_records.pdf

Page 139.

Now you wanna talk ALL TIME STATS LETS GO THEN...YOU LOSE!

Please show me where Westbrook's name shows up ONE TIME. Where AP's shows up around 10!
Want me to totally embarass you and post ALL his records?

Jamaal Branch has a better arguement than Westbrook.

GAME .... SET ..... MATCH!

JDC325
November 9th, 2006, 06:22 PM
HMM... GOT REALLY QUIET WIN THE ALL TIME RECORD BOOK GOT DUSTED OFF!!xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

http://www.ncaa.org/library/records/football/football_records_book/2005/2005_d1_football_records.pdf

PAGE 139

89Hen
November 9th, 2006, 08:48 PM
AP was the MJ of our team the BULLS dont win crap without HIM niether does GSU.
You don't seem to know much about GSU football history. Are you even a GSU fan? :confused:

GannonFan
November 9th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Like I said there were MANY of a games where AP did not even SNIFF the second half also he missed TWO games his Senior year due to injury. Dont take my word ask a playoff team like Northern Arizona, FAMU, etc etc I bet NOVA had Westbrook in every offensive play of the game and if AP had done that this debate would even bee less than a joke it allready is. xlolx WHY only the last two years did Westbrook Suck that bad his freshman and Sophmore year? We are talking ALL time not a junior and senior all star team. Hmm lets see I wonder what coach in their right mind would trade a two year star for a FOUR year star and two NC's. ?

Seriously, dude, you need to read posts better than this. I already told you my stats come from the NCAA website, which only goes as far back as 1999, a year Westbrook didn't play due to a preseason injury. I asked you, if you wanted to talk stats, to see what you could find for the 1997, 1998, and 1999 years and all you do is bitch and moan about the stats I have. Like I said, the smack board is elsewhere if you want to have that kind of debate.

As for AP not sniffing the second half in many games, how about providing some actual facts to back that up? He seems to have had plenty of carries in at least his junior and senior years so I can't see how he sat out "many" second halves, unless you mean a game a year or so. Give us some actual numbers, like how many games he didn't play the second half, and then we have a discussion. Until then, you're just blustering and smacking. Come on, this could be a good discussion, step up and let's talk. :nod: :nod: :nod:

GannonFan
November 9th, 2006, 11:13 PM

A reference I'm sure is lost on him - but a great point though! :nod: :nod: :nod:

GannonFan
November 9th, 2006, 11:20 PM
I guess if you only want two years and NOTHING but CO conference championship with the "best" "running" back in 1-aa. I would be more than happy to have the second choice..xlolx
Look up in the record book under running back in 1-AA you will see AP not Westbrook there.

Page 139.

Now you wanna talk ALL TIME STATS LETS GO THEN...YOU LOSE!

Please show me where Westbrook's name shows up ONE TIME. Where AP's shows up around 10!
Want me to totally embarass you and post ALL his records?

Jamaal Branch has a better arguement than Westbrook.

GAME .... SET ..... MATCH!

Gee, you didn't read the whole thing, did you?

How about page 143?

Here, I'll save you the embarassment.

Westbrook - all time All-purpose Yards for one season
1998 (note, a year I didn't have before) - 1046 yards rushing, 1144 yards receiving, 192 punt return yards, 644 kickoff return yards.

Westbrook - all time All-purpose Yards for a career
9512 total yards, 4298 rushing yards, 2582 receiving yards, 343 punt return yards, 2289 kickoff return yards

Oh yeah, he also holds the record for total yards per game in a career at 216.2 per game.

What was that again about game, set, match???? You gotta hate it when you have your own resource material come back to bite you in the you know where! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

seantaylor
November 10th, 2006, 01:06 AM

How about page 143?

Westbrook - all time All-purpose Yards for one season
1998 (note, a year I didn't have before) - 1046 yards rushing, 1144 yards receiving, 192 punt return yards, 644 kickoff return yards.

Westbrook - all time All-purpose Yards for a career
9512 total yards, 4298 rushing yards, 2582 receiving yards, 343 punt return yards, 2289 kickoff return yards

Oh yeah, he also holds the record for total yards per game in a career at 216.2 per game.

What was that again about game, set, match???? You gotta hate it when you have your own resource material come back to bite you in the you know where! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Not really. That is not even a 10th of the records AP had.

HIU 93
November 10th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Y'all are forgetting someone. AP had a peer- a running back who played the same time he did, and in my opinion was just as good. My vote then is a tie. The afforementioned AP and Maurice Hicks of NC A&T.

PS- Walter Payton is the greatest collegiate running back EVER. Archie Griffin knows those two Heismans belong to Sweetness.

JDC325
November 10th, 2006, 08:28 AM
A reference I'm sure is lost on him - but a great point though! :nod: :nod: :nod:

AP= Majic Johnson for the Lakers. So no it was not lost on me it just is does not make sense.

JDC325
November 10th, 2006, 08:44 AM

How about page 143?

LAST I CHECKED THE RUSHING RECORDS WERE ON 139

Westbrook - all time All-purpose Yards :nono: for one season

ALL PURPOSE C'MON there is a reason that is not showing up in the RUSHING RECORD BOOK!

Westbrook - all time All-purpose Yards :nono: for a career

LET ME GUESS ALL PURPOSE YARDS AGAIN.:nono:

Sorry if PJ was not smart enough to risk his THE BEST RUNNING back in 1-AA history to injury retrurning kick offs and punts. Kick offs and Punt returns have nothing to do with RUSHING records. We are not debating the best punt returner. Our offense rarely passed all we did was run and their were THREE OPTIONS. So did Westbrook have to split his carries with THREE different players on every play or he get the ball everytime? I am not to familiar with what NOVA ran. The fact is AP name shows UP in the RUSHING RECORD book (PAGE 139) ten times more than Westbrook, OH THATS RIGHT HE DOES NOT EVEN SHOW UP ON THAT PAGE. He has numerous SoCon Championships and TWO NC rings. You can keep punt and kick off return numbers to yourself and those yards gained HAVE nothing to do WITH who was the best RUNNING BACK of ALL TIME.

If were are debating RUNNING BACK position PAGE 139 is where the TRUTH IS. Apples to Apples my friend only.

Go start a new thread on BEST PUNT RETURNER / KICKOFF RETURNER. Ap put all his numbers up RUSHING THE FOOTBALL WHICH I THOUGHT RB'S WERE JUDGED ON. Trust me if PJ was dumb enough to have AP returning punts and kick offs Westbrook's name would not be showing up and PAGE 143 either.

JDC325
November 10th, 2006, 08:47 AM
You don't seem to know much about GSU football history. Are you even a GSU fan? :confused:

I could document it since I watched every home game and several away games AP played in. Including THREE national championship games. Anything else you want to know about GSU can be found here!

http://www.gata.com/
http://www.georgiasouthern.edu/~rmikell2/football.htm
http://www.tscsports.com/
http://www.geocities.com/gasoutherneagle/other2.html
http://davebraddy.tripod.com/
http://www.georgiasoutherneagles.com/home.aspx
http://www.soconsports.com/

CURRENT
http://wtoc.com/Global/category.asp?C=78129&nav=menu89_4_2

blueballs
November 10th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Sorry if PJ was not smart enough to risk his THE BEST RUNNING back in 1-AA history to injury retrurning kick offs and punts. Kick offs and Punt returns have nothing to do with RUSHING records. We are not debating the best punt returner. Our offense rarely passed all we did was run and their were THREE OPTIONS. So did Westbrook have to split his carries with THREE different players on every play or he get the ball everytime? I am not to familiar with what NOVA ran. The fact is AP name shows UP in the RUSHING RECORD book (PAGE 139) ten times more than Westbrook, OH THATS RIGHT HE DOES NOT EVEN SHOW UP ON THAT PAGE. He has numerous SoCon Championships and TWO NC rings. You can keep punt and kick off return numbers to yourself and those yards gained HAVE nothing to do WITH who was the best RUNNING BACK of ALL TIME.

If were are debating RUNNING BACK position PAGE 139 is where the TRUTH IS. Apples to Apples my friend only.

Go start a new thread on BEST PUNT RETURNER / KICKOFF RETURNER. Ap put all his numbers up RUSHING THE FOOTBALL WHICH I THOUGHT RB'S WERE JUDGED ON. Trust me if PJ was dumb enough to have AP returning punts and kick offs Westbrook's name would not be showing up and PAGE 143 either.

PJ always had great return men like Bennie Cunningham, Earthwind Moreland and Ant Williams. there was never any need to put Peterson back there.

HensRock
November 10th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Best pure power runner: Adrian Peterson (Georgia Southern)

Best All-purpose back: Brian Westbrook (Villanova)

Both were Payton Award winners.

89Hen
November 10th, 2006, 09:26 AM
I could document it since I watched every home game and several away games AP played in.
OK, then please do. Please back up your claim that GSU without AP did nothing. It was a stupid comment and one that you need to be called on.

"AP was the MJ of our team the BULLS dont win crap without HIM niether does GSU"

89Hen
November 10th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Ap put all his numbers up RUSHING THE FOOTBALL WHICH I THOUGHT RB'S WERE JUDGED ON.
Ones that don't catch the ball, yes.

Note to coaches, stop throwing the ball to running backs, they are only supposed to rush the football.

BTW, no defense on why Westbrook's yards per carry RUSHING and # of RUSHING TD's were better in their final two years?

JDC325
November 10th, 2006, 10:15 AM
OK you did it lets talk RECORDS.

RUSHING RECORDS HELD BY AP IN THE REGULAR SEASON
THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE THE PLAYOFFS OR THREE NC GAMES. WHICH IS ONLY FAIR SINCE WESTBROOK COULD NOT GET THERE AS OFTEN AS AP.:D

HERE WE GO WITH PURE RUSHING RECORDS HOPE YOU HAVE ALOT OF FREE TIME!!!:nod:

1.RUSHING CAREER AP 6559 (98-01)

MOST YARDS RUSHING GAINED PER GAME
2. Three years AP 164.5 (98-00)
3. Four years AP 165.2 (98-01)

4. MOST GAINED BY A FRESHMAN SEASON AP /1932 /(98)
5. MOST YARDS PER GAME BY A FRESHMAN AP /175.6 /(98)
6. MOST GAMES WITH A HUNDRED YARDS OR MORE CAREER AP/ 40
7. MOST CONSECUTIVE GAMES GAINING A HUNDRED YARDS OR MORE SEASON AP /11/ (98-99)
8. MOST CONSECUTIVE GAINING A HUNDRED YARDS OF MORE CAREER
AP /36 /(98-01)
9. MOST YARDS GAINING A HUNDRED YARDS OR MORE BY A FRESHMAN
AP / 11 / (98)
10. MOST SEASON GAINING 1000 YARDS OR MORE AP /4 / (98-01)
11. MOST TOUCHDOWNS SCORED BY RUSHING AP / 84 / (98-01)
12. MOST TOUCHDOWNS SCORED PER GAME SEASON AP / 2.5 / (99)
13. MOST TOUCHDOWNS SCORED PER GAME CAREER AP / 2.0 /(98-01)

Oh if you think AP just got those yards getting the ball EVERYTIME you are wrong. He shows up TWO more times in the RUSHING record book in the section most yards gained by TWO players in the same season.

14. AP and Greg Hill (98) AP /1932/ GH / 1061
15 .AP and Greg Hill (99) AP / 1807 / GH /1084

MOST YARDS GAINED BY TWO PLAYERS SEASON RECORD SEASON
AP and Greg HIll AP and Greg Hill (98) AP /1932/ GH / 1061 same as 14.

16 total times AP's name shows up in the record book UNDER RUSHING
Whew hand cramping after that.xlolx

OH but wait lets look at PAGE 143 IN THE ALL PURPOSE SECTION does his name show up there as well lets see....:nod:

16. MOST POINTS SCORED PER GAME AP / 12.5 / (98-01)
17. MOST TOUCHDOWNS SCORED SEASON AP /29 / 999)
18. MOST TOUCHDOWNS SCORED PER GAME CAREER AP /2.07 /(98-01)
19. MOST TOUCHDOWNS SCORED BY A FRESHMAN SEASON AP / 26 / (98)
20. MOST TOUCHDOWNS SCORED BY FRESHMAN PER GAME AP / 2.4 /(98)

DRUM ROLL PLEASE

21. PAGE 162 CAREER POINTS PER GAME CAREER AP / 12.5 / (98-01)
WESTBROOK / 12.4 ONE TENTH SHORT OH WELL!!xlolx

Just for curiosity's sake lets look to see if he holds and playoff and championship game records against the best competition in the country...Well, well what do we have here.

22. NET YARDS RUSHING GAME AP /333/ (99) AGAINST UMASS THEY ARE AN A-10 TEAM RIGHT?
See what happens when he is left in during a whole game!
23 TOTAL RUSHING YARDS PLAYOFFS AP / 897 / (99)
24. POINTS 74 / AP / (99)
25. TOUCHDOWNS AP / 12 / (99)
26. CHAMPIONSHIP GAME AP / 247 / (99)
Good thing he was not is a passing offense and did not return punts and kicks also or we would be Debating AP and Mcnair best all time.

LIKE I SAID BEFORE GAME SIZET AND MIZATCH!!! :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh:

JDC325
November 10th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Ones that don't catch the ball, yes.

Note to coaches, stop throwing the ball to running backs, they are only supposed to rush the football.

BTW, no defense on why Westbrook's yards per carry RUSHING and # of RUSHING TD's were better in their final two years?

My bad for including ALL FOUR YEARS and did I say anything about his catches NO. I said you can keep his punt and kickoff returns for some other debate. Sorry we did not need to throw screen passes to him he just ran over people. Best two years I guess you win but for a CAREER not even in the same ball park. Fair or not AP got to prove his stuff in the Playoffs and THREE National Championship games against the ELITE of 1-AA football including alot of A-10 teams you might have witnessed one and HIS NUMBERS got better in those games over the regular season NOT worse. Big time player proved it over and over again in BIG TIME GAMES.

GannonFan
November 10th, 2006, 10:41 AM
My bad for including ALL FOUR YEARS and did I say anything about his catches NO. I said you can keep his punt and kickoff returns for some other debate. Sorry we did not need to throw screen passes to him he just ran over people. Best two years I guess you win but for a CAREER not even in the same ball park. Fair or not AP got to prove his stuff in the Playoffs and THREE National Championship games against the ELITE of 1-AA football including alot of A-10 teams you might have witnessed one and HIS NUMBERS got better in those games over the regular season NOT worse. Big time player proved it over and over again in BIG TIME GAMES.

Face it dude, he was a one year wonder - he put up gaudy numbers as a sophomore and then basically hit a plateau. Interesting too that as the talent on his team dropped off (they were stacked all around his first two years and then started to wane after that) so did AP's performance. You could argue that he actually regressed during his career. He was the product of a system that included a vastly more talented team than those that he faced - he was in the right place at the right time. He was a great back, but he got tons of support. I go with Westbrook - he was the Bugs Bunny of a team - he didn't have great support and he still put up great numbers. And he got better and better as his career went on. That's why you see AP with the Payton as a sophomore on an all-time great team and then see him eclipsed in his own conference the following year by Ivory and then ultimately the greatest all around I-AA back ever, Westbrook.

89Hen
November 10th, 2006, 10:42 AM
did I say anything about his catches NO. I said you can keep his punt and kickoff returns for some other debate. Sorry we did not need to throw screen passes to him he just ran over people.
You think a RB runs the ball period. I think the RB can run, catch and block. IMO Brian Westbrook was the best all-around RB in I-AA history. His stats from the final two years the two played would also indicate that he was perhaps even a better runner than AP too. More yards per carry, more TD's in fewer carries and when you throw in the receiving yards, he destroy's AP's numbers.

I think you have a little too much homer in you to even make this an interesting discussion. UD fans in general hate Villanova, so the same could not be said of me.

Season
3,026—Brian Westbrook, Villanova, 1998 (1,046
rushing, 1,144 receiving, 192 punt returns, 644 kickoff
returns; 329 plays)
Also holds per-game record with 275.1 (3,026 in 11)
Career
9,512—Brian Westbrook, Villanova, 1997-98, 00-01
(4,298 rushing, 2,582 receiving, 343 punt returns,
2,289 kickoff returns; 1,022 plays)
Also holds per-game record with 216.2 (9,512 in 44)

MOST TOUCHDOWNS SCORED
Season
29—Adrian Peterson, Ga. Southern, 1999; Brian
Westbrook, Villanova, 2001; Jamaal Branch,
Colgate, 2003
Career
89—Brian Westbrook, Villanova, 1997-98, 00-01

GannonFan
November 10th, 2006, 10:46 AM
I think you have a little too much homer in you to even make this an interesting discussion. UD fans in general hate Villanova, so the same could not be said of me.

Agree with that point - the homerism is overwhelming. And yes, I despise stinkin nova and Westbrook when he was there so to have me post as much as I have says a lot. And another factor is only seeing one of these guys ever play - without ever seeing Westbrook in action it certainly lessens a lot of the wow factor - I saw both AP and Westbrook play many, many times, and Westbrook just left your jaw open.

Maroon&White
November 10th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Just for curiosity's sake lets look to see if he holds and playoff and championship game records against the best competition in the country

I just remember him being outrushed by Shipp....

Shipp 244yds, 3 TD
Peterson 161yds, 2 TD

JDC325
November 10th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Face it dude, he was a one year wonder - he put up gaudy numbers as a sophomore and then basically hit a plateau. Interesting too that as the talent on his team dropped off (they were stacked all around his first two years and then started to wane after that) so did AP's performance. You could argue that he actually regressed during his career. He was the product of a system that included a vastly more talented team than those that he faced - he was in the right place at the right time. He was a great back, but he got tons of support. I go with Westbrook - he was the Bugs Bunny of a team - he didn't have great support and he still put up great numbers. And he got better and better as his career went on. That's why you see AP with the Payton as a sophomore on an all-time great team and then see him eclipsed in his own conference the following year by Ivory and then ultimately the greatest all around I-AA back ever, Westbrook.

Ok I guess his numbers in the playoffs were against vastly inferior teams as well all FOUR years. xlolx Westbrooks ALL PURPOSE numbers are scewed by punt and kickoff returns but AP still manage to score more than Westbrook NOT having the chance to score on punts and kickoffs. AP was injured his SENIOR year and missed the MOST of TWO full games and still was in NY for the Payton that I guess is a REAL drop off.xidiotx

26 RECORDS owned or shared by AP RUSHING and ALL PURPOSE makes me a HOMER than so be it.xlolx xlolx

SunCoastBlueHen
November 10th, 2006, 11:06 AM
=...but AP still manage to score more than Westbrook

MOST TOUCHDOWNS SCORED
Season
Colgate, 2003
Career

That's a false statement. You're getting killed in this debate, dude. You're just ignoring plethera of facts being thrown at you.

JDC325
November 10th, 2006, 11:10 AM
MOST TOUCHDOWNS SCORED
Season
Colgate, 2003
Career

That's a false statement. You're getting killed in this debate, dude.

MOST POINTS PER GAME CAREER AP 12.5 WESTBROOK 12.4

Page 220

SunCoastBlueHen
November 10th, 2006, 11:16 AM
MOST POINTS PER GAME CAREER AP 12.5 WESTBROOK 12.4

Page 220

You said "...but AP still manage to score more than Westbrook " not score more per game.

That margin is hardly a clear, defining difference anyway. :rolleyes:

JDC325
November 10th, 2006, 11:19 AM
PJ always had great return men like Bennie Cunningham, Earthwind Moreland and Ant Williams. there was never any need to put Peterson back there.

Exactly not to mention it would have been down right stupid to have him returning punts and kickoffs on a consitent basis. If he had this debate would be crazier than it allready is. God only knows what AP's ALL PURPOSE numbers would have been if he was the punt and kick off return man. :eek: :eek: :eek:

JDC325
November 10th, 2006, 11:29 AM
You said "...but AP still manage to score more than Westbrook " not score more per game.

That margin is hardly a clear, defining difference anyway. :rolleyes:

Concede we are spliting hairs, but Westbrooks points and yardage also included points scored returning kick offs and punts which has nothing to do with being a Running Back and I am not dismissing his catches out of hand. Dont know if it was alot but I know it was more than AP's.

Oh well I am done with this debate AP's 20+ (Majority Rushing) records to Westbrooks hand full are there to see and his talent translated into being the main factor in THREE CHAMPIONSHIP appearances and TWO RINGS and I garuntee you he would not trade those rings for any Payton awards or crowned by a bunch of half ass statisticians on a college message board.

GannonFan
November 10th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Exactly not to mention it would have been down right stupid to have him returning punts and kickoffs on a consitent basis. If he had this debate would be crazier than it allready is. God only knows what AP's ALL PURPOSE numbers would have been if he was the punt and kick off return man. :eek: :eek: :eek:

And that supposed increase in his all purpose yards is based on what exactly???? More homerism? Is there any credible reason why AP would've been a good returner? Heck, could he even catch a kick? We certainly never got any evidence of his ability to catch the ball, something that initially held him back in the pros btw. He was a fullback that ran between the tackles on dive plays - how that automatically translates into ability to run kicks back is, like I said, the province of unabashed homerism. :nono:

Stick with what he did do - if he could've done that as well I'm sure he would've been, especially considering GSU could've used that extra boost in their playoff losses while AP was there. :nod:

JDC325
November 10th, 2006, 11:35 AM
And that supposed increase in his all purpose yards is based on what exactly???? More homerism? Is there any credible reason why AP would've been a good returner? Heck, could he even catch a kick? We certainly never got any evidence of his ability to catch the ball, something that initially held him back in the pros btw. He was a fullback that ran between the tackles on dive plays - how that automatically translates into ability to run kicks back is, like I said, the province of unabashed homerism. :nono:

Stick with what he did do - if he could've done that as well I'm sure he would've been, especially considering GSU could've used that extra boost in their playoff losses while AP was there. :nod:

Not to many Playoff losses to mention while he was there considering we HAD THREE NC GAMES and it would be downright stupid to risk injuring your best player when you have good return guys to back him up. Either way why should punt and kick off return yards be factored in to a RB debate?xidiotx

Catches fine but STICK TO WHAT RB's do.

GannonFan
November 10th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Catches fine but STICK TO WHAT RB's do.

Well, Westbrook did it all so I was sticking to that. Can't help that AP couldn't do the same. xlolx

JDC325
November 10th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Well, Westbrook did it all so I was sticking to that. Can't help that AP couldn't do the same. xlolx

Correction wisely did not have the opportunity too and it has nothing to do with being a RB.

To bad Westbrook could not prove his greatness in the Playoffs or a NC against the best teams in the nation LIKE AP DID over and over and over again against ALOT OF A-10 teams INCLUDING YOUR TEAM. I guess we will never know if he could put up those kind of numbers AGAINST FOUR STRAIGHT TOP 16 teams in the country THREE YEARS IN A ROW because he NEVER DID. But I guess his numbers against New Haven are equal to AP's against Montana, and Youngstown in the playoffs. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

GannonFan
November 10th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Correction wisely did not have the opportunity too and it has nothing to do with being a RB.

To bad Westbrook could not prove his greatness in the Playoffs or a NC against the best teams in the nation LIKE AP DID over and over and over again against ALOT OF A-10 teams INCLUDING YOUR TEAM. I guess we will never know if he could put up those kind of numbers AGAINST FOUR STRAIGHT TOP 16 teams in the country THREE YEARS IN A ROW because he NEVER DID. But I guess his numbers against New Haven are equal to AP's against Montana, and Youngstown in the playoffs. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Actually his numbers are probably less than say AP's numbers against heavyweights like Fayetteville St and Johnson C Smith. xlolx xlolx

Like I said, and like the homer you are can't admit, is that Georgia Southern had a great team around AP and that, more than anything else, got the rings. Heck, that would have a great amount to do with the stats as well. As those players graduated and GSU came back to the pack, AP's numbers stagnated and dropped off. For such a great player, it's odd that his success was so ties to having superior talent around him. Westbrook was a team unto himself for nova - he was carrying the team while AP never had to. Big difference. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

JDC325
November 10th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Actually his numbers are probably less than say AP's numbers against heavyweights like Fayetteville St and Johnson C Smith. xlolx xlolx

Like I said, and like the homer you are can't admit, is that Georgia Southern had a great team around AP and that, more than anything else, got the rings. Heck, that would have a great amount to do with the stats as well. As those players graduated and GSU came back to the pack, AP's numbers stagnated and dropped off. For such a great player, it's odd that his success was so ties to having superior talent around him. Westbrook was a team unto himself for nova - he was carrying the team while AP never had to. Big difference. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Like I said AP proved his numbers where it matter MOST in 1-AA the playoffs and NC games AGAINST MANY COMMON OPPONENTS in the A-10 and the CREME OF THE CROP IN 1-AA. Fair or not Westbrook DID NOT. EDGE AP. Did not know you were such an expert on GSU when AP was there either. Yeah the talent really slack off his Junior year since GSU won a NC and his Senior year when we LOST to Furman who made it to the NC game. Yeah the talent around him really slacked off alot. Sure AP could not have one those rings alone but he was the MOST important piece of that puzzle and ASK MONTANA if GSU wins the SECOND ring without HIM. Or you can just judge for yourself. Feel free to post any hilight material you have of Westbrook in the playoffs against the best competition in 1-AA.....xcoffeex xidiotx Montana fans please look away. A run right up the gut in the rain and mud in the biggest game of the year against perinial powerhouse Montana TO WIN THE NC GAME. We can argue stats all you want, I still think if we are talking RB and not punt returner it is a landslide, ladies and gentlemen of the jury I present.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZnzHhcvLd0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Peterson_(Chicago_Bears)

I take my Homer opinion, 26 records (RUSHING NO PUNT or KICKOFF RETURN SkEWED YARDAGE), conference championships and two rings to be able to stand the test of time over some A-10 homers opinion with a couple of All Purpose records anyday of the week.

seantaylor
November 10th, 2006, 08:15 PM
I wouldn't even put Westbrook as the second best RB. AP's is COLLEGE FOOTBALL'S ALL TIME LEADING RUSHER. What else do you have to say? 40 straight 100 yard rushing games. Westbrook didn't even have 40 in his career.

89Hen
November 10th, 2006, 10:32 PM
AP's is COLLEGE FOOTBALL'S ALL TIME LEADING RUSHER. What else do you have to say?
That RB's are allowed to catch too. :deadhorse:

seantaylor
November 11th, 2006, 12:29 AM
That RB's are allowed to catch too. :deadhorse:

We don't throw the ball. How would he have put up big receiving #'s? This is like comparing Jerry Rice to Randy Moss, and wondering why Moss has so many more rushing yards than Rice. Dumb analogy.