PDA

View Full Version : AGS Top 25 - How They Fared Week 8

superman7515
October 18th, 2014, 11:44 PM
First of all, for those of you that don't read the AGS Poll section of the forum, an important Public Service Announcement from this past Monday...

The poll was very late today. The mess I had to wade through this morning was just a bit much. I know all yiou guys appreciate the work that goes into this endeavor as you yourselves do a ton of work to just submit a ballot. YOU ARE the pinnacle of people putting out their opinion of where teams stand amongst each other.

Some of you are getting a little sloppy on submitting your votes though. Please, please do me a favor and take just a little bit more time before hitting the submit button to cast your vote.

Please start looking at your dang emails to check your own ballot and responding to me or the other fella when we inquire on something to do with your ballot.

You are the first line of defense to making sure there are no errors on your ballot. If you are not doing your job there then please start doing so. As I said earlier I spent a lot of time getting that emailer installed when I first did this thing so I'd really appreciate it if you make use of it.

If you vote on Monday morning that is great BUT doing so means you have to be spot on with your ballot because you are giving me the information with very little turnaround time. Do everything you can to not wait until Monday morning but if you do wait until you gotta come correct.

Now this does not apply to a lot of you and if it doesn't then don't take it upon yourself other than to take a look and use the information going forward when you are doing your ballot if it helps you out.

TL;DR - Tighten the F--- up! xlolx

Remember to please take an extra minute or two to double-check your ballots before hitting submit. You can really make a difference in easing things up a little on those who have to check every ballot line by line to make sure there aren't any duplicates or obvious cases of North Dakota State/North Dakota, South Dakota State/South Dakota, The Citadel/VMI... Okay, I can kinda understand that last one. The point being, if everyone takes two extra minutes to make sure they put teams where they want them and don't have any duplicates, then all of those minutes add up to hours saved by the guys pulling double-duty (for free) to pull this thing all together.

Off my soapbox now and back to your regularly scheduled program...

The top of the Top 25 seemed pretty chalk this week, still getting a good number of bye-weeks, but what losses did happen occurred mostly on the back half of the ballots. I know that 20-25 have been a real struggle for me personally this season, so feel free to give some suggestions.

For the most part, all of the games are complete. Still waiting on Stephen F. Austin, but with 85% of the precincts reporting, it looks like we can go ahead and project the Lumberjacks will win this game. Every other game already has a recap entered into the links, not just a box score, so that may be helpful to see some games. For example, Bethune-Cookman won the game 48-20 against Savannah State. Geez, that's a closer game than I expected... Oh wait, it was 48-7 when Savannah State scored twice in the 4th quarter against the backups. Always worth taking a second look at these things. Also, no moral victories, but William & Mary and Northern Iowa hung in to the very end against teams ranked above them. Not saying you can't move any of those three teams down if you want, it's your ballot, just pointing out that it may be a game worth looking into a bit more than just the final score.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgtKAORz8z6vdFhmQjEzWUxPZ1AtTERRT0pjYktFe UE&usp=sharing

For anyone who doesn't remember:
Green - Reached our magical seven D1 win threshold
Yellow - Must win out to reach seven D1 wins
Red - Can't reach seven D1 wins this season

Yes, I know it's not a hard and fast rule, but we've all seen that it does play a part. As always, if you see any errors, please let me know so that I can get that changed ASAP, and thank you for making "How They Fared" the number 1 tool on AGS for filling out your brackets each week.

JMUNJ08
October 19th, 2014, 12:22 AM
Not too many crazy changes with only EKU looking at tumbling with their first L... Toughest thing for me with Most Significant Loss. Heart breaker? Playoff back breaker? Sadly, many good choices...

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 19th, 2014, 05:45 AM
Nice work as always!!

rokamortis
October 19th, 2014, 06:21 AM
Great job - really helps me out.

One quick question, I probably saw this discussed before but is the Sagarin rating from last week? Will it be updated to show current rating?

MTfan4life
October 19th, 2014, 07:54 AM
Nothing against Stephen F. Austin, but watch out from getting blinded by their shiny 5-2 record. Their 4 division 1 wins are a combined 2-27 on the season.

superman7515
October 19th, 2014, 08:20 AM
Great job - really helps me out.

One quick question, I probably saw this discussed before but is the Sagarin rating from last week? Will it be updated to show current rating?

Yeah, as long as you see the asterisks beside it, that's to let you know those were the Sagarin rankings coming into the game. He doesn't update until sometime Sunday, and it varies so I can't always say "It will be done by 10 am" or something along that sort. I've seen him update as late as 4:00 EST on Sunday before.

UNH Fanboi
October 19th, 2014, 08:22 AM
Yeah, as long as you see the asterisks beside it, that's to let you know those were the Sagarin rankings coming into the game. He doesn't update until sometime Sunday, and it varies so I can't always say "It will be done by 10 am" or something along that sort. I've seen him update as late as 4:00 EST on Sunday before.

FYI, it's updated now.

dgtw
October 19th, 2014, 09:33 AM
Does the record against AGS Top 25 refer to teams in the top 25 right now or at the time the game was played?

superman7515
October 19th, 2014, 10:08 AM
FYI, it's updated now.

Sorry, went to breakfast with the family and didn't have time to update earlier.

superman7515
October 19th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Does the record against AGS Top 25 refer to teams in the top 25 right now or at the time the game was played?

It's the record against teams that were ranked at the time the game was played.

UNH Fanboi
October 19th, 2014, 01:25 PM
Sorry, went to breakfast with the family and didn't have time to update earlier.

No need to apologize! I know this is a lot of work for you, but it is an invaluable tool in keeping voters informed.

BEAR
October 19th, 2014, 06:27 PM
SLC recap for teams that are ranked or ORV.

McNeese wins.
SELA finally puts unranked Bears away with 6 minutes left in 4th quarter.
SFA rolls.
UCA struggles with yet another running QB. Will be lucky to get 7 wins.

Overall SLC looking mediocre. Maybe 2 teams in playoffs.

chattanoogamocs
October 19th, 2014, 06:59 PM
Of the two teams most likely to get votes in the SoCon...

Chattanooga was up 31-0 on the Citadel (scoring on their first 5 possessions) and then pretty much took their foot off the gas...trying to slow the game down and run as much clock as they could in the 2nd half...including a 9 1/2 minute drive that got down to the 5 yard line. The Mocs ran the clock on 3rd down, taking a delay of game penalty, and then ran out the clock out of 4th down as to not try and run the score up.

Western started quick and pretty much had a comfortable lead the whole game (there were a threatening moment or two by Mercer in the middle)...but overall WCU just slowly wore down Mercer throughout the game.

VUCats02
October 19th, 2014, 07:51 PM
Small point but nova played @W&M (spreadsheet says game was at nova)

superman7515
October 19th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Thanks, fixed it.

rokamortis
October 19th, 2014, 08:35 PM
Not too many crazy changes with only EKU looking at tumbling with their first L... Toughest thing for me with Most Significant Loss. Heart breaker? Playoff back breaker? Sadly, many good choices...

Perhaps I'm being a regional homer but i picked Chatanooga for win as I think it shows they are the dominant team in the SoCon this season. It isn't a huge win, but certainly a convincing one that I think shows the Mocs mean business this year.

I chose CSU as for the loss as I think they may be the only one to drop from the AGS top 25. I really didn't expect them to lose.
Side note: They always play up for us, now they are going to be pissed too that they let PC beat them. :)

chattanoogamocs
October 19th, 2014, 08:37 PM
Perhaps I'm being a regional homer but i picked Chatanooga for win as I think it shows they are the dominant team in the SoCon this season. It isn't a huge win, but certainly a convincing one that I think shows the Mocs mean business this year.

I chose CSU as for the loss as I think they may be the only one to drop from the AGS top 25. I really didn't expect them to lose.
Side note: They always play up for us, now they are going to be pissed too that they let PC beat them. :)

And even worse...to only score 3 points. Ouch.

mvemjsunpx
October 20th, 2014, 02:13 AM
Nothing against Stephen F. Austin, but watch out from getting blinded by their shiny 5-2 record. Their 4 division 1 wins are a combined 2-27 on the season.

No kidding. They have 5 wins, and the best one is Weber.

lionsrking2
October 20th, 2014, 03:10 AM
No kidding. They have 5 wins, and the best one is Weber.

Regardless of who they've played and beaten, SFA is still talented, very well-coached and much improved. I expect them to give us all we can handle in Nacogdoches next Saturday. I"m sure they'll be looking to make a statement.

JMUNJ08
October 20th, 2014, 08:41 AM

Was watching that on ESPN3. That game was like striking out with 8 girls at the bar after they each gave you a chance but you blew it...CSU really needs some convincing W's (multiple) for me to put them back in the poll...(I can't see from my email back but they may have been my pick as well)