OVC - 1
Patriot - 0
Pioneer - 0
Southern - 0
Southland - 2

bjtheflamesfan
October 16th, 2014, 05:39 PM
At this point I believe it will come down to the series between CSU-CCU-LU:

If CSU beats CCU and LU beats CCU and CSU: Liberty gets the auto, CCU gets an at-large and CSU probably sweats out selection show
If CCU beats CSU and LU beats CCU and CSU: Liberty gets the auto, CCU gets the at-large and CSU is out
If CSU beats CCU And LU beats CCU but loses to CSU: CSU gets the auto, CCU gets an at-large and LU sweats out selection Sunday (probably misses out)
If CCU beats CSU and LU beats CCU but loses to CSU: I believe Liberty gets the auto and CCU gets an at-large
If CCU beats CSU and LU and LU loses to CSU: CCU gets the auto and CSU probably gets an at-large and Liberty is out

I'm pretty sure I don't have that 100% right but that's the best I can interpret

rokamortis
October 16th, 2014, 06:18 PM
BJ, you may need to figure Monmouth into the picture. I think CSU would be a very hard sell with the sub DI teams on their schedule.

I think if Coastal loses 2 games then we may be a bubble team even with 10 wins - there would be no really good wins unless Furman, A&T, or SC State come on really strong to end the season.

New Bucs Fan
October 16th, 2014, 07:47 PM
I think if the Socon got three in last year and we have beaten that conference like a drum last year and so far this year, that we should definitely get two in. As far as our non-DI teams, I think our game against Vandy and if we do well at UGA will balance those out.Easy way not to worry about it is win conference outright.

KPSUL
October 16th, 2014, 07:55 PM
I think if the Socon got three in last year and we have beaten that conference like a drum last year and so far this year, that we should definitely get two in. As far as our non-DI teams, I think our game against Vandy and if we do well at UGA will balance those out.Easy way not to worry about it is win conference outright.
I'm not sure if your advocating 2 at-large bids or 2 total conference playoff spots? The Big South's reputation is definitely climbing but a total of three teams from a 6-team conference is not likely.

centennial
October 16th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Haven't revisited this in a couple of weeks:

Big Sky - 2
Big South - 1
CAA -3
MEAC - 0
MVFC - 4
NEC - 0
OVC - 1
Patriot - 0
Pioneer - 0
Southern - 0
Southland - 2
This logic doesn't work for the NCAA. Hopefully you are right. For me-
MVFC- 4
Big South-1
CAA-2
OH Valley-2
Southland-2
Big Sky-2
MEAC- 0
NEC-0
Patriot-0
Southern-0
Pioneer-0

MTfan4life
October 16th, 2014, 09:33 PM
Haven't revisited this in a couple of weeks:

Big Sky - 2
Big South - 1
CAA -3
MEAC - 0
MVFC - 4
NEC - 0
OVC - 1
Patriot - 0
Pioneer - 0
Southern - 0
Southland - 2

The MEAC could very easily finish with Bethune, NC A&T, and SCSU at 10-2, 10-2, and 9-3 respectively. Considering a 9-3 SCSU team got in last season over an 8-4 Youngstown, I would be very surprised if the MEAC didn't get any at-large bids unless if two of the three really slip up.

New Bucs Fan
October 16th, 2014, 09:48 PM
2 solid ( at large and autobid) with third possible

Bisonwinagn
October 16th, 2014, 09:48 PM
The MEAC could very easily finish with Bethune, NC A&T, and SCSU at 10-2, 10-2, and 9-3 respectively. Considering a 9-3 SCSU team got in last season over an 8-4 Youngstown, I would be very surprised if the MEAC didn't get any at-large bids unless if two of the three really slip up.

Yes the MEAC always seems to get a phantom at large that nobody can explain.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 16th, 2014, 10:03 PM
Yes the MEAC always seems to get a phantom at large that nobody can explain.

It can be explained usually. Some just don't like the explanation. MTFan just gave a short explanation of it from last year for instance.

FargoBison
October 16th, 2014, 10:18 PM
There is no way the MVFC gets 4 at large bids.

The conference will be lucky to get 3 as it beats itself to a pulp.

centennial
October 16th, 2014, 10:48 PM
MEAC is rated at 11th out of 16 FCS on Massey. Their best team is supposedly better than South Dakota(last in MVFC). More than half the conference is no better than average DII and DIII's. Massey ranks 922 teams in college football. Savanah State for example is rated 560, Florida A&M is 429. Massey also rates 6 DII conferences as stronger than MEAC. Can anyone explain to me why the should be even sniffed for an at large?
To illustrate how ridiculous this is I want to compare this to the Big Dance. Roughly 1 out of 5 teams make the playoffs in both sports, giving SC State an at large would be the same as giving 29-30th(out of 39 listed by massey) conference an at large. I know this statement is a stretch but I cannot wrap my head around the political correctness BS.

kalm
October 17th, 2014, 07:01 AM

The best possible win on A&T's schedule is Elon who they already played. SCSU's best to date is a 2-4 Furman although they still have B-C remaining.

Not arguing with you here, but there will be several BSC, MVFC, and CAA teams on the bubble with worse records but wins against ranked opponents. It would again be unfortunate to see them bumped.

knucklehead
October 17th, 2014, 07:42 AM
BJ, you may need to figure Monmouth into the picture. I think CSU would be a very hard sell with the sub DI teams on their schedule.

I think if Coastal loses 2 games then we may be a bubble team even with 10 wins - there would be no really good wins unless Furman, A&T, or SC State come on really strong to end the season.

Yea, the Bucs would have to win the conference outright, Not getting an at large with that schedule.

knucklehead
October 17th, 2014, 07:48 AM
Is there a good source to see updated SOS #s on these teams?

rokamortis
October 17th, 2014, 07:51 AM

Thankfully many of the other conferences are down but the MVFC deserves more than they did last year and the OVC may as well. With other leagues being down I see the MEAC probably getting at least one at-large. So I don't think that means the Big South will get more than last year - especially with some of the schedules we have as we have to be able to make a convincing case.

With the 2 sub-DIs and 2 FBS presumed losses your schedule is already behind the curve. Campbell counts but I think will be discounted because they are non scholarship. So yes, the best way for you (or anyone in the BSC) to get in is just to win the conference. Of course that is always easier said than done - just go out and destroy PC tomorrow and we'll look forward to welcoming you to Conway next week.

Nova09
October 17th, 2014, 08:20 AM

Agreed. I'm not giving any commentary on the strength of the conference, just saying with remaining schedules and how wins will be distributed MVFC will end up with 2-3 at larges.

bjtheflamesfan
October 17th, 2014, 09:12 AM
Youre probably right but a win over CCU can help their case. If they pull an App State and knock off Georgia they get a major boost in the at-large discussion I would believe

TypicalTribe
October 17th, 2014, 09:30 AM

The biggest determining factor will be Illinois State and NDSU. They don't play each and if both find a way to go undefeated, there won't be enough wins to go around to get 5 teams in. However, if a couple of teams can knock them off and get those impressive wins on their resumes, then it's very likely that the Valley will have 4 or 5 teams in the field. There is still a scenario for 7 teams to get to 8 wins.

rokamortis
October 17th, 2014, 10:00 AM
If they pull an App State and knock off Georgia they get a major boost in the at-large discussion I would believe

Ya think? It would give them an extra DI win and would be the best FCS over FBS win this season and would probably be better than the App State win. Won't happen, but would probably be their ticket into the playoffs regardless of schedule.

FordhamFan
October 17th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Honestly I think it's as simple as the committee wants to look more politically correct (for lack of a better term) when they put in that extra MEAC team. I know the 5th MVFC team is better than the 2nd MEAC team. You know it. They know it. But it's just easier to turn away a team that came 5th in their conference rather than 2nd. It's kinda ********* but what can ya do?

kalm
October 17th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Ya think? It would give them an extra DI win and would be the best FCS over FBS win this season and would probably be better than the App State win. Won't happen, but would probably be their ticket into the playoffs regardless of schedule.

Meh...FBS games are meaningless and all about ego.

Twentysix
October 17th, 2014, 10:48 AM
The biggest determining factor will be Illinois State and NDSU. They don't play each and if both find a way to go undefeated, there won't be enough wins to go around to get 5 teams in. However, if a couple of teams can knock them off and get those impressive wins on their resumes, then it's very likely that the Valley will have 4 or 5 teams in the field. There is still a scenario for 7 teams to get to 8 wins.

I'd rather have the MVFC have the #1 and #2 seeds, than have 5 teams in, imo.

lionsrking2
October 17th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Honestly I think it's as simple as the committee wants to look more politically correct (for lack of a better term) when they put in that extra MEAC team. I know the 5th MVFC team is better than the 2nd MEAC team. You know it. They know it. But it's just easier to turn away a team that came 5th in their conference rather than 2nd. It's kinda ********* but what can ya do?

Personally, I don't think any conference should get five teams in, regardless of how good the league is. Three or four teams is plenty to represent conference strength. If you come in fifth, you don't deserve a playoff bid, period. Try again next year.

FordhamFan
October 17th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Personally, I don't think any conference should get five teams in, regardless of how good the league is. Three or four teams is plenty to represent conference strength. If you come in fifth, you don't deserve a playoff bid, period. Try again next year.

See, I hear that logic and all, but can you really argue a team like South Dakota State or Southern Illinois isn't better than SCSU? Their record doesn't show it but that's because they have to play 5 of the top 20 teams in the nation.

You make a good point, and how you see it is usually how it goes, but I would honestly rather see the better teams that have a real chance to make a deep run.

FordhamFan
October 17th, 2014, 11:15 AM
But at the same time, I guess nobody wants to just see the MVFC play each other again in the playoffs.

rokamortis
October 17th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Meh...FBS games are meaningless and all about ego.

The loss certainly is. If they beat the #10 team in the country in FBS that changes the dynamic.

kdinva
October 17th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Is there a good source to see updated SOS #s on these teams?

try this site:

http://warrennolan.com/football1aa/2014/sos

Mattymc727
October 17th, 2014, 11:19 AM

I agree here. While we all know a 5th best team in the FCS power conferences is often better than the 2nd best team in a lower one, thats just tough luck. Thats the benefit of being in a good tough contest, if you win it, you are pretty battle tested and ready for the playoffs. A conference with 5 teams in (Unless its a wacky year) is a bad look.

rokamortis

I think they may also want to try to keep the MEAC in the playoffs so they don't go the SWAC route. So they give them that extra team.

TypicalTribe

This simply isn't accurate. In the last 10 years, the MEAC has gotten an at-large just twice, both times when an SCSU team finished as co-champs with nine wins both seasons. Doesn't sound like any ulterior motives are in play.

lionsrking2
October 17th, 2014, 11:20 AM
See, I hear that logic and all, but can you really argue a team like South Dakota State or Southern Illinois isn't better than SCSU? Their record doesn't show it but that's because they have to play 5 of the top 20 teams in the nation.

You make a good point, and how you see it is usually how it goes, but I would honestly rather see the better teams that have a real chance to make a deep run.

Not arguing that point at all, but the fifth place team, in any league, had their chance to "make a run." I'd much rather see a broad representation from leagues around the country than what amounts to a replay of a particular conference's regular season. Maybe that's just me.

Mattymc727
October 17th, 2014, 11:21 AM
But at the same time, I guess nobody wants to just see the MVFC play each other again in the playoffs.

Bingo, and I dont like when UNH gets matched up with another CAA team in the playoffs, we already played those games. UNH has had to play Maine, Nova, and Delaware in the playoffs over the year, and they are always rematches.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 17th, 2014, 11:23 AM

The SoCon only got two teams in last year.

CSU18
October 17th, 2014, 11:27 AM
At this point I believe it will come down to the series between CSU-CCU-LU:

If CSU beats CCU and LU beats CCU and CSU: Liberty gets the auto, CCU gets an at-large and CSU probably sweats out selection show
If CCU beats CSU and LU beats CCU and CSU: Liberty gets the auto, CCU gets the at-large and CSU is out
If CSU beats CCU And LU beats CCU but loses to CSU: CSU gets the auto, CCU gets an at-large and LU sweats out selection Sunday (probably misses out)
If CCU beats CSU and LU beats CCU but loses to CSU: I believe Liberty gets the auto and CCU gets an at-large
If CCU beats CSU and LU and LU loses to CSU: CCU gets the auto and CSU probably gets an at-large and Liberty is out

I'm pretty sure I don't have that 100% right but that's the best I can interpret

Wow - that was a mouth full. I think I followed it, and I believe you're correct. Only way the Big South gets 3 is if CSU, LU, & CCU all beat each other and have a three way tie for the conference. Even then, I think it's a long shot. Monmouth could easily be a spoiler in this equation as well. I haven't followed them too close this year, but they don't appear to be a bottom dweller in the conference.

lionsrking2
October 17th, 2014, 11:28 AM
A conference with 5 teams in (Unless its a wacky year) is a bad look.

I agree, and also serves to depress playoff interest around the country.

knucklehead
October 17th, 2014, 11:29 AM
try this site:

http://warrennolan.com/football1aa/2014/sos
Perfect thanks. If you can read anything into records at this point vs SOS, I think the CCU, LU, CSU race is wide open. I've heard some say there is no way LU beats CCU in Conway. Right now I'm not buying it and reserve judgement till right before the game. Same can be said for any of these games.

rokamortis
October 17th, 2014, 11:30 AM
Wow - that was a mouth full. I think I followed it, and I believe you're correct. Only way the Big South gets 3 is if CSU, LU, & CCU all beat each other and have a three way tie for the conference. Even then, I think it's a long shot. Monmouth could easily be a spoiler in this equation as well. I haven't followed them too close this year, but they don't appear to be a bottom dweller in the conference.

50% of the conference in the playoffs would be a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

WestCoastAggie
October 17th, 2014, 11:36 AM
As a MEAC and OVC rep here, I am hard pressed to figure out a way to get the MEAC an At-Large Bid at this point. The OVC realistically will get one At-Large Bid unless a team like Tenn. State or SEMO can beat EKU.

Now if A&T was able to beat Coastal Carolina, the MEAC would have an At-Large bid easily but now A&T would have to not only win out, they would need some CAA and MVFC teams struggle to finish .500 in conference play or win 3 conference games.

There are two other MEAC teams in Morgan State and NC Central that can still beat Bethune-Cookman, A&T, win the Automatic Qualifier and force Betune-Cookman to At-Large Bid status. Morgan and NCCU play one another this weekend and the winner can win out and cause problems for those on the bubble.

Those in the MVFC better be rooting for Bethune or A&T, to a lesser extent, to win out.

lionsrking2
October 17th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Perfect thanks. If you can read anything into records at this point vs SOS, I think the CCU, LU, CSU race is wide open. I've heard some say there is no way LU beats CCU in Conway. Right now I'm not buying it and reserve judgement till right before the game. Same can be said for any of these games.

Football has always been about match ups ... you can compare all the scores in the world, but if on a particular night, one team has a couple of match up advantages they can exploit, they'll have a chance to win, regardless what the comparison scores tell us. That's on top of other factors such as injuries, illnesses, weather, luck (good/bad), etc.

FordhamFan
October 17th, 2014, 11:41 AM
I hear all of those points loud and clear. After thought, it makes much more sense to have that broad spectrum of teams across the country like stated before. It screws some good teams, but it's true, they had their chance.

Houndawg
October 17th, 2014, 11:45 AM
The best possible win on A&T's schedule is Elon who they already played. SCSU's best to date is a 2-4 Furman although they still have B-C remaining.

Not arguing with you here, but there will be several BSC, MVFC, and CAA teams on the bubble with worse records but wins against ranked opponents. It would again be unfortunate to see them bumped.

..and in SIU's, and possibly a couple of other MVC teams, case, no losses to unranked opponents.

Houndawg
October 17th, 2014, 11:48 AM

SIU@ISU, final MVC game...

Beachdude
October 17th, 2014, 11:48 AM

My thoughts exactly. Monmouth is the Wild Card in this equation. I look forward to the CSU game next week. Should be a good one. I hope you guys don't spoil our homecoming!

CSU18
October 17th, 2014, 11:50 AM
50% of the conference in the playoffs would be a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

I didn't think of it that way, and you're probably right. But, if somehow they end up in a three way tie and all in the top 20, I could see an outside (and I mean outside) chance that it happens.

Beachdude
October 17th, 2014, 11:52 AM

The LU game is always a tough one for us. Plus, we (Coastal) just seem to be playing more reserved than we did last year, not sure why. But if the Chant's will finally find their 'rhythm', then I think they take LU at home. If they are still sputtering, then anything goes.

CSU18
October 17th, 2014, 11:53 AM
My thoughts exactly. Monmouth is the Wild Card in this equation. I look forward to the CSU game next week. Should be a good one. I hope you guys don't spoil our homecoming!

It'll be a tough task for us for sure - especially after last year. The one thing I do like about CSU's approach is they don't let any game be "too big" for them. Hopefully that's the case next weekend and we play well, but for now I'm a little concerned about PC. They've apparently had a pretty good turn around from last season.

MTfan4life
October 17th, 2014, 11:56 AM

There have been years past where I would have agreed with you at this point. However, the historical evidence against that assumed common sense keeps piling up. Last season, the best win on SCSU's schedule was over a 7-4 NC A&T. Their second best win was over a 5-7 Morgan State. They still got in as an at large. Why would it be any different this year? This season, SCSU would have to beat BCU to get to 9-3. If they do and they don't get the autobid, I'd actually be surprised if they left them out considering they'd have an even better resume than last season.

bjtheflamesfan
October 17th, 2014, 11:57 AM
I'm not really buying stock in Monmouth at this point. their 4 wins are all fairly unexciting and their one loss is to an unranked Duquesne. I think CCU and LU at least win solidly against the Hawks

Thumper 76
October 17th, 2014, 12:13 PM
I hear all of those points loud and clear. After thought, it makes much more sense to have that broad spectrum of teams across the country like stated before. It screws some good teams, but it's true, they had their chance.

I thought the at larges were for the best teams that didn't get an auto bid? Maybe I missed something?

TypicalTribe
October 17th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Folks need to remember that last season was a strange year. We had Lafayette winning the Patriot at below .500, a bad Pioneer champ, a mediocre 3-way tie for the SoCon title, a strong OVC year, a mediocre CAA and an MVFC that beat itself up. Given that the committee didn't want to dip into 5 loss teams and with the Patriot, SoCon and OVC taking unexpected extra at-large bids, there wasn't much left to choose from.

RabidRabbit
October 17th, 2014, 12:52 PM
Recognize that to get 5 teams in, that 3 teams (at least) will be 5-3, and tied for 2nd or 3rd (depends on the 2 top teams). If choosing between SIU, SDSU, UNI and ISU(B) all with a 5-3 record, who do you NOT select?

I'm also a bit down about getting 5 and only 1 seed. That's not good for the league either, because teams out of the league will play each other in the 2nd weekend. If this were to happen, SDSU will get tossed to Fargo AGAIN!!!!xbawlingx

Houndawg
October 17th, 2014, 01:17 PM
Recognize that to get 5 teams in, that 3 teams (at least) will be 5-3, and tied for 2nd or 3rd (depends on the 2 top teams). If choosing between SIU, SDSU, UNI and ISU(B) all with a 5-3 record, who do you NOT select?

I'm also a bit down about getting 5 and only 1 seed. That's not good for the league either, because teams out of the league will play each other in the 2nd weekend. If this were to happen, SDSU will get tossed to Fargo AGAIN!!!!xbawlingx

that happens a lot already.

Nova09
October 17th, 2014, 01:35 PM
Folks need to remember that last season was a strange year. We had Lafayette winning the Patriot at below .500, a bad Pioneer champ, a mediocre 3-way tie for the SoCon title, a strong OVC year, a mediocre CAA and an MVFC that beat itself up. Given that the committee didn't want to dip into 5 loss teams and with the Patriot, SoCon and OVC taking unexpected extra at-large bids, there wasn't much left to choose from.

I don't think it's as much an anomaly as you think, it seems to be the new normal. Thats what happens when you try to find 24 playoff worthy teams and the eye test just doesn't think there are that many.

chattownmocs
October 17th, 2014, 02:47 PM

The socon wont get 2 bids and you havent even beaten the top two teams. try again.

32counter
October 17th, 2014, 03:41 PM
As we are all aware a few of the AQ winners from certain conferences are really not worthy to participate in the playoffs.Same could be said for the NCAA basketball tourney.Such a situation always knocks out better teams that otherwise would be at large participants.The best 24 teams don't always get in.

Cocky
October 17th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Last weeks loss by SEMO may have limited the OVC to one at large. SEMO will need to upset JSU or EKU and beat a better than record EIU Plus TSU. Tn State will not have a good enough resume to get a bid.

centennial
October 17th, 2014, 11:20 PM
I completely disagree with some posters who advocate the MEAC get an at large bid because its more interesting. The participation badges are the conference winners. Some of these have no business in the playoffs but rewards them for winning their respective leagues, that is fine. Outside of that the next best at larges should be taken, who cares if they are 4 of them from the CAA or the MVFC. What makes for good football is better games not participation games where one team is embarrassed.

lionsrking2
October 17th, 2014, 11:53 PM
I completely disagree with some posters who advocate the MEAC get an at large bid because its more interesting. The participation badges are the conference winners. Some of these have no business in the playoffs but rewards them for winning their respective leagues, that is fine. Outside of that the next best at larges should be taken, who cares if they are 4 of them from the CAA or the MVFC. What makes for good football is better games not participation games where one team is embarrassed.

I haven't read every post in this thread, but not sure anybody is advocating for a second MEAC school because it's more interesting ... for that matter, not sure anybody's advocating for a second MEAC school period. Just that hypothetically, if a MEAC school goes 10-2 or 11-1, with just one conference loss and finishes second, it's hard to justify putting in a fifth team from another conference over them. I hear ya if you think the fifth best team in the MVFC would destroy the MEAC No. 2 but that's conjecture. In this particular year, Bethune-Cookman will likely finish 11-1 while NC A&T will likely finish 10-2, with nine D-I wins and a one-point loss to Coastal Carolina. Not saying they're a lock, but if I was on the committee, I would vote for them over the fifth place team from another league. As I look at the MEAC standings, if the league finishes in a 3-way tie for first, I think it's a no doubter you take two.

FargoBison
October 18th, 2014, 12:21 AM
I haven't read every post in this thread, but not sure anybody is advocating for a second MEAC school because it's more interesting ... for that matter, not sure anybody's advocating for a second MEAC school period. Just that hypothetically, if a MEAC school goes 10-2 or 11-1, with just one conference loss and finishes second, it's hard to justify putting in a fifth team from another conference over them. I hear ya if you think the fifth best team in the MVFC would destroy the MEAC No. 2 but that's conjecture. In this particular year, Bethune-Cookman will likely finish 11-1 while NC A&T will likely finish 10-2, with nine D-I wins and a one-point loss to Coastal Carolina. Not saying they're a lock, but if I was on the committee, I would vote for them over the fifth place team from another league.

MVFC fans are still bitter about SC State over a 3rd MVFC team last year and probably rightfully so.

I do agree about the 5th team though, five teams from one conference is a bit much.

lionsrking2
October 18th, 2014, 12:41 AM
MVFC fans are still bitter about SC State over a 3rd MVFC team last year and probably rightfully so.

I do agree about the 5th team though, five teams from one conference is a bit much.

That's a different issue, and I have no problem with a third or even a fourth team (if deserving), though looking back to last year, I'm not sure which third MVFC team deserved to go. Not saying South Carolina State necessarily did either, but when the only two MVFC options were a 7-5 team and another who lost three straight to close out the season, it's hard to find firm ground to stand on IMO. I realize there are no layups in the MVFC but that's part of it.

kalm
October 18th, 2014, 07:28 AM

This, a 100 times this. The committee's responsibility should be to pick the most deserving teams regardless of conference. With scheduling and different scholarship levels, let's not pretend there's parity between conferences.

There are plenty of teams that challenge themselves with tough OOC schedules. For those in weaker conferences who desire to
hedge against not winning the auto bid, go out and schedule strong OOC opponents.

In defense of my friend Rocko, CCU has done this in scheduling two SoCon opponents and a pair of decent MEAC's, have taken care of business, and should be justly rewarded if they don't win the BSo.

Red & Black
October 18th, 2014, 08:28 AM
The MVFC won't get 4 AL bids, period, and right now I'd be surprised if the OVC got two AL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

semobison
October 18th, 2014, 08:45 AM
At large bids should be given to the best remaining teams, as long as they meet the criteria...period!

MTfan4life
October 18th, 2014, 10:10 AM

This happens to all the conferences, though. Look at last year when New Hampshire, Sam Houston, and Tennessee State all had to play conference rematches in the round of 16. It's gotten annoyingly inevitable.

kalm
October 18th, 2014, 10:13 AM
This happens to all the conferences, though. Look at last year when New Hampshire, Sam Houston, and Tennessee State all had to play conference rematches in the round of 16. It's gotten annoyingly inevitable.

I don't think it's that big of a deal. If the committee has the ability to avoid it, they should be the most important things are getting the right teams in and getting them seeded correctly. Some of the best NFL playoff games are between teams from the same division.

centennial
October 18th, 2014, 10:16 AM
I haven't read every post in this thread, but not sure anybody is advocating for a second MEAC school because it's more interesting ... for that matter, not sure anybody's advocating for a second MEAC school period. Just that hypothetically, if a MEAC school goes 10-2 or 11-1, with just one conference loss and finishes second, it's hard to justify putting in a fifth team from another conference over them. I hear ya if you think the fifth best team in the MVFC would destroy the MEAC No. 2 but that's conjecture. In this particular year, Bethune-Cookman will likely finish 11-1 while NC A&T will likely finish 10-2, with nine D-I wins and a one-point loss to Coastal Carolina. Not saying they're a lock, but if I was on the committee, I would vote for them over the fifth place team from another league. As I look at the MEAC standings, if the league finishes in a 3-way tie for first, I think it's a no doubter you take two.
Just want to post again what I posted before. 6-7 of their wins are against DII level opponents.

MEAC is rated at 11th out of 16 FCS on Massey. Their best team is supposedly better than South Dakota(last in MVFC). More than half the conference is no better than average DII and DIII's. Massey ranks 922 teams in college football. Savanah State for example is rated 560, Florida A&M is 429. Massey also rates 6 DII conferences as stronger than MEAC. Can anyone explain to me why the should be even sniffed for an at large?
To illustrate how ridiculous this is I want to compare this to the Big Dance. Roughly 1 out of 5 teams make the playoffs in both sports, giving SC State an at large would be the same as giving 29-30th(out of 39 listed by massey) conference an at large. I know this statement is a stretch but I cannot wrap my head around the political correctness BS.

lionsrking2
October 18th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Just want to post again what I posted before. 6-7 of their wins are against DII level opponents.

For the record, they're playing full D-I schedules with the exception of the usual non D-I most FCS schools play. It's your opinion they are "D2 level." Not saying you're opinion is wrong, but it's still an opinion. My opinion is you don't reward a fifth place team when there are other qualified teams who had successful seasons, even in "lesser" conferences.

Mattymc727
October 18th, 2014, 11:31 AM
Maine literally played UNH twice in a row last year. The last game of the season was @ UNH for the musket. Then Maine earned a seed and a bye, and then got UNH again at home. They had the same opponent, lost the first one, had a bye week to fix things, and then lost again at home.

knucklehead
October 18th, 2014, 08:03 PM
Apparently my wondering about how good csu really was with a 78 SOS had some merit

WestCoastAggie
October 18th, 2014, 10:10 PM
Morgan State beat NCCU. There are 5 MEAC teams with very legit chances to win the conference but Bethune is in the drivers seat being undefeated. If they win out, they get the Auto Bid. Morgan State can screw up everything if they win out.

smilo
October 18th, 2014, 10:13 PM
We'll be sure to destroy their spirits next week. =D
Wouldn't want to give that conference an extra bid.

TypicalTribe
October 20th, 2014, 02:33 PM
With another week under our belts, not sure much changed except the Big South got shakier.

Big Sky - 2
Big South - 1
CAA -3
MEAC - 0
MVFC - 4
NEC - 0
OVC - 1
Patriot - 0
Pioneer - 0
Southern - 0
Southland - 2

bjtheflamesfan
October 20th, 2014, 02:35 PM
CSU was on very shaky ground because of their schedule (even with the close game against Vandy) and the loss to PC doomed them in that regard. they pretty much have to win out and get the autobid

TypicalTribe
October 23rd, 2014, 09:01 AM
After taking a closer look at some schedules, I think a change is in order:

Big Sky - 2
Big South - 1
CAA -2
MEAC - 1
MVFC - 3
NEC - 1
OVC - 1
Patriot - 0
Pioneer - 0
Southern - 0
Southland - 2

When I look at the remaining schedules for MVFC teams, it's looking more likely that only 4 teams will avoid 5 losses, so I've bumped the conference down to 3 at-large bids. I knocked the CAA down to 2 as well with a 4th team looking unlikely at this point. The beneficiaries are the NEC, which is well-positioned for 2 bids and the MEAC, because I have a sneaky feeling NC A&T could get a look at 10-2. There's also a possibility of a 3rd Big Sky at-large, if Cal Poly can beat either Montana or Montana State and finish at 8-4.