PDA

View Full Version : This Week's GPI

TypicalTribe
October 16th, 2014, 11:55 AM
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/articles/20141014gpi.htm

Some interesting discrepancies between computers and humans but the gaps are narrowing.

Have at it.

kalm
October 16th, 2014, 12:16 PM
The article states the Big Sky has two teams in the top 25 and then the list has EWU 2, Montana 14, and Montana State at 15.

Grizalltheway
October 16th, 2014, 12:21 PM
The article states the Big Sky has two teams in the top 25 and then the list has EWU 2, Montana 14, and Montana State at 15.

Counting is overrated.

Sycamore62
October 16th, 2014, 12:45 PM

I guess they are technically correct

Catbooster
October 16th, 2014, 01:13 PM
Maybe they're acknowledging that they have the Griz over-rated. xcoffeex

;)

skinny_uncle
October 16th, 2014, 09:30 PM
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/articles/20141014gpi.htm

Some interesting discrepancies between computers and humans but the gaps are narrowing.

Have at it.
Computers seem to be bigger fans of the Valley than humans.

Bisonwinagn
October 16th, 2014, 09:39 PM
Seems about right to me!!!

TypicalTribe
October 17th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Biggest reason is that humans are reluctant to make big changes in their polls while computers are not. Teams move up and down faster in the computer rankings, especially early in the season when the data points are fewer. Humans also hold tighter to their preseason assumptions.

FordhamFan
October 17th, 2014, 10:37 AM
Biggest reason is that humans are reluctant to make big changes in their polls while computers are not. Teams move up and down faster in the computer rankings, especially early in the season when the data points are fewer. Humans also hold tighter to their preseason assumptions.

+1...spot on there.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2014, 11:51 AM

Which is why the GPI probably should be released later, if at all, but that's just me.

robsnotes4u
October 17th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Which is why the GPI probably should be released later, if at all, but that's just me.

I look at it the opposite. Human polls shouldn't come out until week five or six

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Grizalltheway
October 17th, 2014, 02:14 PM
Or after 5 or 6 drinks.

Southern Bison
October 17th, 2014, 02:31 PM
Counting is overrated.

Apparently so is reading...it said 3 BSC teams when I clicked on the link.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 17th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Apparently so is reading...it said 3 BSC teams when I clicked on the link.

Yes dude, every week mistakes are pointed out on here and then they change later. AGS is often used as an editor for things on there.

thebootfitter
October 20th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Yes dude, every week mistakes are pointed out on here and then they change later. AGS is often used as an editor for things on there.
I hope you're collecting something for the service, Ursus! ;-)

ursus arctos horribilis
October 20th, 2014, 09:54 PM
I hope you're collecting something for the service, Ursus! ;-)

Of course. We are all collecting better information and critical thinking skills.xthumbsupx

I tell everybody that tries to run something around here to come correct and be willing to take a beating if you do not. Holy Christ the people around here are too f'n sharp to slip an inaccuracy by them and I have taken a beating several times when I've not paid close enough attention.

Crowd sourcing is great but this place is very good at crowd editing. xlolx

BisonFan02
October 20th, 2014, 09:57 PM
Of course. We are all collecting better information and critical thinking skills.xthumbsupx

I tell everybody that tries to run something around here to come correct and be willing to take a beating if you do not. Holy Christ the people around here are too f'n sharp to slip an inaccuracy by them and I have taken a beating several times when I've not paid close enough attention.

And the weekly beatings will resume until further notice...... xlolx

BucBisonAtLarge
October 20th, 2014, 09:58 PM

awesome comment

citdog
October 23rd, 2014, 01:51 PM
Why is typicaltribe posting this steaming pile of excrement every week? Is he being paid to do so?

TypicalTribe
October 23rd, 2014, 01:59 PM
Why is typicaltribe posting this steaming pile of excrement every week? Is he being paid to do so?

This thread is from last week. Someone else posted it this week. But, since you ask, I throw it out there for the sake of discussion and the data is useful to help evaluate teams.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 23rd, 2014, 02:03 PM

I can emphatically say that he isn't.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 23rd, 2014, 02:05 PM
This thread is from last week. Someone else posted it this week. But, since you ask, I throw it out there for the sake of discussion and the data is useful to help evaluate teams.

I appreciate your effort typitribe. Kepp up the good work brother.

citdog
October 23rd, 2014, 02:14 PM

you mean after all the mistakes are corrected? xsmiley_wix

TypicalTribe
October 23rd, 2014, 03:02 PM
you mean after all the mistakes are corrected? xsmiley_wix

I was the one who pointed out the mistakes.

citdog
October 23rd, 2014, 03:05 PM
I was the one who pointed out the mistakes.

I was speaking about it being useful. It's useful only as an example of how to not compile information.

TypicalTribe
October 23rd, 2014, 03:17 PM
I was speaking about it being useful. It's useful only as an example of how to not compile information.

How so, Mr. Wizard?

citdog
October 23rd, 2014, 03:36 PM
How so, Mr. Wizard?

Look at the end result. It is just a complete mess. How can a complete mess be useful?

- - - Updated - - -

How so, Mr. Wizard?

see the above carpetbagger

TypicalTribe
October 23rd, 2014, 03:54 PM
Please enlighten me on how it's a complete mess. What exactly do you have a problem with?

birdsflyhigh
October 23rd, 2014, 06:07 PM
Yeah, I love how someone can just throw out there that the whole idea of the Massey ratings (which average 42 different rating systems) is a complete mess. Massey is by FAR the best representation of where the CFB landscape is week by week. Guess some fans would just rather go with the TSN or Coaches poll which are both ridiculed on a daily basis here on AGS.

The people that have not recognized Massey as a worthwhile tool are like the climate change deniers. :)

kalm
October 23rd, 2014, 06:37 PM
Yeah, I love how someone can just throw out there that the whole idea of the Massey ratings (which average 42 different rating systems) is a complete mess. Massey is by FAR the best representation of where the CFB landscape is week by week. Guess some fans would just rather go with the TSN or Coaches poll which are both ridiculed on a daily basis here on AGS.

The people that have not recognized Massey as a worthwhile tool are like the climate change deniers. :)

They're paid by energy conglomerates to sit in front of a computer eating their own boogers?

thebootfitter
October 23rd, 2014, 06:39 PM

There is a distinction between Massey's composite matrix, which is a combination of several different computer rating systems and human polls, and his own computer rating system.