PDA

View Full Version : UR Spider Bus up for auction

DTSpider
November 7th, 2006, 12:41 PM
A pretty good story IMO

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?blobcol=urlmainpicture&blobheader=image/jpeg&blobkey=id&blobtable=MGImage&blobwhere=1149191551486&ssbinary=true

A busload of help
Parent to donate auction's proceeds to school's coffers
BY JOHN O'CONNOR
TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER
Tuesday, November 7, 2006

Ted Goloboski, father of UR senior Adam Goloboski, will auction off the "Spiders Web" bus and donate the proceeds to UR for its building fund.

An odd-looking school bus parked in a Villanova University student lot last Saturday drew eyes and ears.

Painted blue and white, accented with red Richmond Spiders logos, the bus' sound system sent music throughout the huge parking lot and across the street to Villanova Stadium, where UR and VU played that night.

The bus is expected to help Richmond build its on-campus stadium through an auction conceived by its owner, Ted Goloboski. He hopes to pass along the bus to another devoted UR football fan who likes to travel.

The Spiders Web, the vehicle's given name, over the past two seasons has become as much a part of Richmond football as blue helmets with the distinctive red spiders. Ted Goloboski is the father of UR senior linebacker Adam Goloboski.

Ted Goloboski, a contractor in Hereford, Md., acquired the bus prior to the 2005 season and has regularly traveled with a band of 20 or so friends to Spiders games, at UR Stadium, at other sites through the Atlantic 10 Conference, and elsewhere.

Ted Goloboski gained UR's permission to use the school's athletics logo, and said the bus is ordinarily operatedduring trips to Spiders games by a professional driver he hires. According to Ted Goloboski, the bus cost himroughly $15,000, including the purchase price, paint scheme, sound system, and interior modifications.

Adam Goloboski will play his final game as a Spider next Saturday at William and Mary. Ted Goloboski said he intends to auction off the Spiders Web following this season "with the stipulation that the new owner carries on the tailgating tradition" at Richmond games.

"Somebody else can enjoy it like we have," said Ted Goloboski.

He added that he wants to donate the proceeds from the auction to the building fund for the proposed on-campus football stadium at UR. The school is in the process of trying to raise $20 million for the project.

Brent Schneider, UR's assistant director of athletics/development, said "what we envision is doing something on our Web site" regarding the auction. It could be scheduled for soon after the completion of this season, or perhaps will be arranged in conjunction with Richmond's spring game, according to Schneider.

For more information concerning the bus auction, contact the Spider Club at (804) 289-8759.

Contact staff writer John O'Connor at [email protected] or (804) 649-6233.
This story can be found at: http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1149191550079&path=%21sports&s=1045855934844

AppGuy04
November 7th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Nice story, hope he gets something good for it

PantherRob82
November 7th, 2006, 01:30 PM
We used to have a school bus we travelled in. They are hard to keep up unless you drive them nonstop and do a lot of maintenance. Very cool story though.

GSUSpider
November 7th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Yup, I'm gonna miss riding in it. Honestly though, this bus has required very little to almost no maintenance over the last 2 years. FYI, it also comes complete with an xbox with 15 games, flat screen tv, dvd, stereo full surround sound and a bathroom. Trust me this is no ordinary school bus.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 7th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Yup, I'm gonna miss riding in it. Honestly though, this bus has required very little to almost no maintenance over the last 2 years. FYI, it also comes complete with an xbox with 15 games, flat screen tv, dvd, stereo full surround sound and a bathroom. Trust me this is no ordinary school bus.
I read the article this morning in the Richmond Times. Sweet!!!!!

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 7th, 2006, 07:25 PM

Dang... thats pretty sweet! Good luck!