PDA

View Full Version : Sports Network Top 25 Poll - Week 7

JMUNJ08
October 13th, 2014, 01:11 PM
Got my chuckle in so now its time for yours....

North Dakota State Bison (156)
6-0

Eastern Washington Eagles (4)
6-1

New Hampshire Wildcats
5-1

Coastal Carolina Chanticleers
7-0

Villanova Wildcats
5-1

Jacksonville State Gamecocks
5-1

Montana Grizzlies
4-2

Southeastern Louisiana Lions
5-2

Montana State Bobcats
5-2

Illinois State Redbirds
5-0

McNeese State Cowboys
3-2

Fordham Rams
6-1

Eastern Kentucky Colonels
6-0

Southern Illinois Salukis
5-2

William & Mary Tribe
4-2

Bethune-Cookman Wildcats
5-1

Chattanooga Mocs
3-3

South Dakota State Jackrabbits
4-2

Richmond Spiders
4-2

Northern Iowa Panthers
3-3

Youngstown State Penguins
4-2

Indiana State Sycamores
4-2

Charleston Southern Buccaneers
5-1

Sam Houston State Bearkats
3-3
NR

Harvard Crimson
4-0
NR

Others receiving votes: Sacred Heart 163, Delaware 138, Tennessee State 87, Southeast Missouri State 81, Liberty 54, Albany 35, Samford 33, Bryant 29, Missouri State 25, Central Arkansas 25, Western Carolina 21, Dartmouth 21, Northern Arizona 18, Jacksonville 18, Alcorn State 17, Bucknell 15, Grambling State 15, Western Illinois 13, Furman 12, James Madison 10, Presbyterian 9, Yale 7, South Carolina State 6, North Carolina A&T 6, Texas Southern 5, Wofford 5, Stephen F. Austin 4, Towson 3, Northwestern State 3, Alabama State 2, Stony Brook 1, Duquesne 1, Colgate 1, Cal Poly 1

Go Green
October 13th, 2014, 01:14 PM
Others receiving votes: Dartmouth 21 . . . Yale 7

Nice to see that TSN paid attention to last weekend's Ivy games.

bluehenbillk
October 13th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Too High: Montana, Bethune, Chatty

Too Low: Illinois St, E Kentucky, Richmond

JMUNJ08
October 13th, 2014, 01:22 PM
JMU ranked #45 in the country behind many teams with better resume's (limited to ORV): Albany (H2H win), Samford, Jacksonville, Alcorn State, Grambling St (4 wins all SWAC by avg of just 7 points) & Furman. Those are just the ones that have nothing standing up to even our pathetic results so far. At least we have 1 more vote than the Blue Hose and 7 more than the team we just beat by 55...

Grizalltheway
October 13th, 2014, 01:29 PM
Too High: Montana, Bethune, Chatty

Too Low: Illinois St, E Kentucky, Richmond

Outside of MSU, JSU has place absolutely no one.

Cocky
October 13th, 2014, 02:19 PM
Outside of MSU, JSU has place absolutely no one.
Chattanooga is ranked

Grizalltheway
October 13th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Chattanooga is ranked

I should clarify-it's fine if someone thinks Montana is too high, but I don't know why you wouldn't come to the same conclusion about JSU when you look at both teams' resumes.

REALBird
October 13th, 2014, 03:09 PM
This poll is always good for a chuckle. I guess when the Chuckleheads who vote for this thing continue to submit "Homer" votes it is what it is! I'd love to have the brain trust there answer some straight forward questions just to see whether they really watch football or just look at the box scores.

1.) With several MVFC teams ranked (7 to be exact) can you REALLY move a team out of the top 25 if they lose to another ranked team, considering they beat all comers (USD's lone loss excluded) in the non-conf. schedule?
2.) I'm not a fan of moving a team down based on a bad showing, or a close score.....BUT at some point does the SOS even matter to these guys? (See Missouri State, how do they get jettisoned from the polls on the heels of losses against ranked YSU, ranked SDSU and FBS Missouri, yet Sam Houston State keeps getting ranked when they've been spanked by the likes of Alabama State. Yikes!

At some point these guys need to pull their head out of their collective gluteus maximus' and accept....You ranked some schools high early on in the season, and although they've won some games. Those games may have been against inferior opponents. When you look at their SOS and WHO they played, are they really ranked accordingly?

These guys make that BCS computer look like a genius. Carry on!

FargoBison
October 13th, 2014, 03:28 PM
Just repeat what I said from last week...Nova should be #2.

tomq04
October 13th, 2014, 03:47 PM
Montana and Montana state should be switching positions come next week me thinks.

Grizalltheway
October 13th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Montana and Montana state should be switching positions come next week me thinks.

Why is that? Do you think we're going to lose to Davis at home?xconfusedx

MTfan4life
October 13th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Got my chuckle in so now its time for yours....

North Dakota State Bison (156)
6-0

Eastern Washington Eagles (4)
6-1

New Hampshire Wildcats
5-1

Coastal Carolina Chanticleers
7-0

Villanova Wildcats
5-1

Jacksonville State Gamecocks
5-1

Montana Grizzlies
4-2

Southeastern Louisiana Lions
5-2

Montana State Bobcats
5-2

Illinois State Redbirds
5-0

McNeese State Cowboys
3-2

Fordham Rams
6-1

Eastern Kentucky Colonels
6-0

Southern Illinois Salukis
5-2

William & Mary Tribe
4-2

Bethune-Cookman Wildcats
5-1

Chattanooga Mocs
3-3

South Dakota State Jackrabbits
4-2

Richmond Spiders
4-2

Northern Iowa Panthers
3-3

Youngstown State Penguins
4-2

Indiana State Sycamores
4-2

Charleston Southern Buccaneers
5-1

Sam Houston State Bearkats
3-3
NR

Harvard Crimson
4-0
NR

Others receiving votes: Sacred Heart 163, Delaware 138, Tennessee State 87, Southeast Missouri State 81, Liberty 54, Albany 35, Samford 33, Bryant 29, Missouri State 25, Central Arkansas 25, Western Carolina 21, Dartmouth 21, Northern Arizona 18, Jacksonville 18, Alcorn State 17, Bucknell 15, Grambling State 15, Western Illinois 13, Furman 12, James Madison 10, Presbyterian 9, Yale 7, South Carolina State 6, North Carolina A&T 6, Texas Southern 5, Wofford 5, Stephen F. Austin 4, Towson 3, Northwestern State 3, Alabama State 2, Stony Brook 1, Duquesne 1, Colgate 1, Cal Poly 1

Who the heck is still voting for Towson??? TSN needs to release these ballots! There are so many other crimes on the list of receiving votes that I didn't highlight, but Towson? They just lost by 55 points to a team that isn't ranked. I really would like to talk to the people who still think Towson is a top 25 team, just to hear what their argument could be. xsmhx

Texas
October 13th, 2014, 04:05 PM
This poll is always good for a chuckle. I guess when the Chuckleheads who vote for this thing continue to submit "Homer" votes it is what it is! I'd love to have the brain trust there answer some straight forward questions just to see whether they really watch football or just look at the box scores.

1.) With several MVFC teams ranked (7 to be exact) can you REALLY move a team out of the top 25 if they lose to another ranked team, considering they beat all comers (USD's lone loss excluded) in the non-conf. schedule?
2.) I'm not a fan of moving a team down based on a bad showing, or a close score.....BUT at some point does the SOS even matter to these guys? (See Missouri State, how do they get jettisoned from the polls on the heels of losses against ranked YSU, ranked SDSU and FBS Missouri, yet Sam Houston State keeps getting ranked when they've been spanked by the likes of Alabama State. Yikes!

At some point these guys need to pull their head out of their collective gluteus maximus' and accept....You ranked some schools high early on in the season, and although they've won some games. Those games may have been against inferior opponents. When you look at their SOS and WHO they played, are they really ranked accordingly?

Just when the Big Sky circle jerk was dying a new one appears. Pull the bison meat out of your mouth and wake up.

Also we thumped ASU.

Cocky
October 13th, 2014, 04:08 PM
I should clarify-it's fine if someone thinks Montana is too high, but I don't know why you wouldn't come to the same conclusion about JSU when you look at both teams' resumes.

What about Coastal, EWU and UNH, too?

REALBird
October 13th, 2014, 04:31 PM
My apologies, that's right you lost to a D-II school at home. Very deserving of being back in the rankings. NOT!

Texas
October 13th, 2014, 05:25 PM
My apologies, that's right you lost to a D-II school at home. Very deserving of being back in the rankings. NOT!
Except for beating #5 team. Go cry more.

MVFC thread is calling you.
http://i.imgur.com/OHerIAP.gif

caribbeanhen
October 13th, 2014, 06:59 PM
Just repeat what I said from last week...Nova should be #2.

agree with this

No_Skill
October 13th, 2014, 07:13 PM
Except for beating #5 team. Go cry more.

MVFC thread is calling you.
http://i.imgur.com/OHerIAP.gif

Best gif ever. lol

robsnotes4u
October 13th, 2014, 07:21 PM

If you struggle with them like you did UND definitely. If the Griz are able to get into victory formation with 3 1/2 minutes left with 2nd and 3rd stringers no. So, to me, it isn't about whether you win or lose, but how you win or lose.

I have a term, from a friend of mine, I use when talking pool shots, and I will use it here. Brutally Honest. Be Brutally Honest with yourself on the percentages when deciding to run the table or play safe early. So Take off the glasses, be Brutally Honest (if your life depended on it) who would win today if the Griz played the Cats at a neutral site. If you can say the Griz, then they should be rated above the Cats, if not the Cats should be rated above the Griz.

Big_Fan
October 13th, 2014, 07:26 PM
Chattanooga is ranked

TSU was ranked until we beat them as well, and they had a really long home win streak

2 top 25 wins for a team that made quarterfinals last season...I think we are where we should be.

Coastal? Having watched them play, I really believe they would be in the bottom half of the OVC.

veinup
October 13th, 2014, 07:29 PM

You're not asking me, but I wouldn't be shocked were that to happen.

Grizalltheway
October 13th, 2014, 07:31 PM
If you struggle with them like you did UND definitely. If the Griz are able to get into victory formation with 3 1/2 minutes left with 2nd and 3rd stringers no. So, to me, it isn't about whether you win or lose, but how you win or lose.

I have a term, from a friend of mine, I use when talking pool shots, and I will use it here. Brutally Honest. Be Brutally Honest with yourself on the percentages when deciding to run the table or play safe early. So Take off the glasses, be Brutally Honest (if your life depended on it) who would win today if the Griz played the Cats at a neutral site. If you can say the Griz, then they should be rated above the Cats, if not the Cats should be rated above the Griz.

Tough to say at this point. The Griz D has been solid, but they haven't faced any prolific offenses yet. Same thing with the Cats and their offense. If they played right now I could see us winning a 31-28 type game. But, we play in late November, and the Cats have a history of playing great early then fading down the stretch.

Beachdude
October 13th, 2014, 07:59 PM
Coastal? Having watched them play, I really believe they would be in the bottom half of the OVC.

Coastal has been playing on about half it's cylinders so far this year, and we are still 7-0 and averaging 440 yards a game. If we do hit our rhythm this year, then I think you may change your mind.

robsnotes4u
October 13th, 2014, 07:59 PM
Tough to say at this point. The Griz D has been solid, but they haven't faced any prolific offenses yet. Same thing with the Cats and their offense. If they played right now I could see us winning a 31-28 type game. But, we play in late November, and the Cats have a history of playing great early then fading down the stretch.
I would say UND has a good defense, equally as good as Montana.

This week will help tell the story after two common opponents

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Grizalltheway
October 13th, 2014, 08:23 PM
You're not asking me, but I wouldn't be shocked were that to happen.

Davis is worse than NoCo, and we put them away after about 10 minutes at home.

But keep filling the sandbags if you wish.

kalm
October 13th, 2014, 08:25 PM
What about Coastal, EWU and UNH, too?

You can make cases for whether it's EWU, UNH, and Nova that deserve #2. But JSU's two ranked opponents are marginal and from weaker conferences. Coastal's resume is even worse. ISUr should probably be ranked ahead of both for that matter.

I know UNH is very banged up and we literally played without our QB, starting running back, two starting receivers, one starting corner, one starting linebacker, a starting safety, two starting d-lineman, a starting safety, and even our ****ing kicker (no joke) and are still able to win comfortably in a power conference.

Grizalltheway
October 13th, 2014, 08:29 PM
I would say UND has a good defense, equally as good as Montana.

This week will help tell the story after two common opponents

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
And MSU scored well below their average, at home, in that one.

I personally think it's more likely that MSU's defense will lose them games than UM's offense.

Cocky
October 13th, 2014, 09:18 PM
You can make cases for whether it's EWU, UNH, and Nova that deserve #2. But JSU's two ranked opponents are marginal and from weaker conferences. Coastal's resume is even worse. ISUr should probably be ranked ahead of both for that matter.

I know UNH is very banged up and we literally played without our QB, starting running back, two starting receivers, one starting corner, one starting linebacker, a starting safety, two starting d-lineman, a starting safety, and even our ****ing kicker (no joke) and are still able to win comfortably in a power conference.

Were banged up too. Playing without our starting RB, lost an OL for the season another OL has been hurt plus a few injured defensive players.

Doesn't really matter what conference a good team plays in and I don't think I would include the BSC with the power conferences. The MVC and CAA are way above the others from top to bottom. The BSC is closer to the OVC than to either of those conferences.

kalm
October 13th, 2014, 09:31 PM
Were banged up too. Playing without our starting RB, lost an OL for the season another OL has been hurt plus a few injured defensive players.

Doesn't really matter what conference a good team plays in and I don't think I would include the BSC with the power conferences. The MVC and CAA are way above the others from top to bottom. The BSC is closer to the OVC than to either of those conferences.

It matters a whole hell of a lot for many reasons. The BSC might be down a bit this year like the CAA was a couple of years ago but that doesn't diminish the weekly grind all that much. The MVFC, BSC, CAA, Southland, and what used to be the Southern are still noticeably deeper, with better athletes.

Big_Fan
October 13th, 2014, 09:42 PM

Call me a homer, but I don't think the BSC is very good. The OVC head to head record with the MVFC this season is horrid... Peay, EIU, and UTM all have losses to MVFC schools, but I think UTM and EIU would be undefeated if they had played Coastal's schedule.

JSU and EKU would be competitive against the top teams in the MVFC. Without Adams, I think JSU and EKU would both beat EW...EIU probably would. I think we would beat them badly.

Top to bottom, the MVFC is impressive. The CAA is tough, but not the MVFC. The Big Sky conference has offense, but outside of Montana, no one plays defense. The OVC is top heavy... I do think we are for real. Our DL is nasty, and our offense only slows down when we go conservative. The weather conditions at TSU affected us, but we still racked up over 400 yards against the #2 defense in the FCS. The #4 team in the OVC beat the #1 team in the Southland.

I wish the BSC played some OOC games against the OVC or MVFC.

Cocky
October 13th, 2014, 10:16 PM
It matters a whole hell of a lot for many reasons. The BSC might be down a bit this year like the CAA was a couple of years ago but that doesn't diminish the weekly grind all that much. The MVFC, BSC, CAA, Southland, and what used to be the Southern are still noticeably deeper, with better athletes.

I believe we have six teams on our schedule that have been ranked this year while you have four. Plus an OVC middle rated team beat what is the highest rated Southland team.

kalm
October 13th, 2014, 10:42 PM
Call me a homer, but I don't think the BSC is very good. The OVC head to head record with the MVFC this season is horrid... Peay, EIU, and UTM all have losses to MVFC schools, but I think UTM and EIU would be undefeated if they had played Coastal's schedule.

JSU and EKU would be competitive against the top teams in the MVFC. Without Adams, I think JSU and EKU would both beat EW...EIU probably would. I think we would beat them badly.

Top to bottom, the MVFC is impressive. The CAA is tough, but not the MVFC. The Big Sky conference has offense, but outside of Montana, no one plays defense. The OVC is top heavy... I do think we are for real. Our DL is nasty, and our offense only slows down when we go conservative. The weather conditions at TSU affected us, but we still racked up over 400 yards against the #2 defense in the FCS. The #4 team in the OVC beat the #1 team in the Southland.

Have you even looked at the the BSC vs. MVFC matchups recently?

Big_Fan
October 13th, 2014, 11:33 PM
Have you even looked at the the BSC vs. MVFC matchups recently?

Think we have acronym cross-wires.

Big South Conference.

Not Big Sky Conference.

That is why I was talking about Coastal.

I admit, I was shifting around from conference to conference, but I am down on the Big South. Their OOC games are either NEC, HBCU, or D2...with an occasional FBS loss thrown in. I really don't think Coastal is a top 10 team. They were better last season, hanging half-a-hundred on EKU... but EKU wasn't very good last year; we could have scored 100 on them.

I don't think Coastal would survive against a full slate of games against MVFC, OVC, CAA, or Big Sky teams.

I think our (or any really good) defense would make them one dimensional, and they give up way too many rushing yards.

I am excited about our chances to make a run in the playoffs. Our defense is seriously underrated. The stats reflect our loss at Michigan State + a lot of garbage time yards given up. The first half of the Chatty game, and the second half of the Murray game, were incredible defensive performances.

As for the Big Sky vs the MVFC, the Big Sky has a winning record against 3 teams from the MVFC, South Dakota, S Dakota State, and Illinois State. Dunno about recent records. Props to the Big Sky... good conference, but (mostly) miserable defenses this season. You guys have given up over 240 points this season already, with 5 games left. I would love a rematch this season (Preferably at home)... Adams or no Adams.

Twentysix
October 14th, 2014, 01:13 AM
Ok so I know I was hard on the AGS poll about the number of first place votes for Villanova, but 5th is really harsh in the opposite direction..

Houndawg
October 14th, 2014, 06:20 AM

xlolx

Impressive, but not tough.... got it..

JaxSinfonian
October 14th, 2014, 06:35 AM

Overall the two teams' schedules so far aren't very different, but there are differences. The best arguments for JSU's position and against Montana's position: 1) JSU has victories over two FCS opponents who are now .500 or better overall and .500 or better against FCS competition. Montana has no victories over FCS opponents who are at least .500 overall, and one over an opponent who's .500 against FCS teams. 2) JSU has healthy margins of victory, 24 points, against two of the FCS teams on its schedule; Montana has one double-digit margin of 25.

I'm not saying it's a winning argument, but it's the strongest one I can see based on the schedules. In the end it boils down to preseason rankings and week-to-week results relative to other ranked teams. JSU and Montana started out fifth and sixth in the TSN preseason poll, and their losses to this point haven't given pollsters enough reason to drop them far. Both are getting a pass from pollsters on FBS losses with Montana maybe even getting a smidgen of credit for a close FBS game; the Griz' loss to NDSU was enough to drop them a few spots, but not far. I'm not saying that's the right way for pollsters to rank teams, but clearly that's how many are doing it.

rokamortis
October 14th, 2014, 06:45 AM
Big_Fan, your homerism is impressive. I guess you are a bit defensive from the MVFC and CAA fans calling you guys weak and are already fighting for your playoff at-large chances. But back away from the Big South. The Big South has performed well against most of the conferences, including the SoCon who you think is deeper and better. Massey Composite has us listed as the 2nd best league. GPI did last week as well.

The Big South is stronger top to bottom than ever. It is doing well vs OOC competition. No need to attack us to try to prop yourself up.

kalm
October 14th, 2014, 08:27 AM
Think we have acronym cross-wires.

Big South Conference.

Not Big Sky Conference.

That is why I was talking about Coastal.

I admit, I was shifting around from conference to conference, but I am down on the Big South. Their OOC games are either NEC, HBCU, or D2...with an occasional FBS loss thrown in. I really don't think Coastal is a top 10 team. They were better last season, hanging half-a-hundred on EKU... but EKU wasn't very good last year; we could have scored 100 on them.

I don't think Coastal would survive against a full slate of games against MVFC, OVC, CAA, or Big Sky teams.

I think our (or any really good) defense would make them one dimensional, and they give up way too many rushing yards.

I am excited about our chances to make a run in the playoffs. Our defense is seriously underrated. The stats reflect our loss at Michigan State + a lot of garbage time yards given up. The first half of the Chatty game, and the second half of the Murray game, were incredible defensive performances.

As for the Big Sky vs the MVFC, the Big Sky has a winning record against 3 teams from the MVFC, South Dakota, S Dakota State, and Illinois State. Dunno about recent records. Props to the Big Sky... good conference, but (mostly) miserable defenses this season. You guys have given up over 240 points this season already, with 5 games left. I would love a rematch this season (Preferably at home)... Adams or no Adams.

Ahh…gotcha on the mix up.

I was significantly more impressed with you guys last year than South Dakota State who I think was still a pretty good team. You could indeed make a run.

As for Big Sky Defenses, yeah, there's not much being played outside of Missoula (who hasn't faced a great offense yet) and Grand Forks (who gave up a ton of yards to the two good offenses they've played - Montana State and Missouri State).

In our defense we have been beat up since week one. We're rotating 6 true freshman in on d-line so we're getting pushed around and can't create pressure, we were down a 5th year senior starter at linebacker, another starter at safety last week, and all of our corner's except one are freshmen and sophomores. The veteran linebacking corps looks slow and out of position covering for the d-line, and we can't blitz all that much because we're young in the secondary. Plus we've played two top 10 offenses in ISU and MSU, and a solid FBS offense in Washington. Goodness, even SUU is top 15 in passing offense. Thankfully we skip Sac State this year (another top 10 FCS offense).

End of excuse making and sob story...:D

If we get a few of our bullets back and as the youngsters mature, I still like our chances in the playoffs. Every year we here about how the Big Sky doesn't play enough D come playoffs...xcoolx

Beachdude
October 14th, 2014, 08:43 AM
Big Fan mentions how Coastal would do in the OVC. He is partially correct. Coastal has unfortunately been playing to the level of their opponents this year. So if Coastal were in the OVC, we would definitely be playing down to their level. :)

robsnotes4u
October 14th, 2014, 08:51 AM
Overall the two teams' schedules so far aren't very different, but there are differences. The best arguments for JSU's position and against Montana's position: 1) JSU has victories over two FCS opponents who are now .500 or better overall and .500 or better against FCS competition. Montana has no victories over FCS opponents who are at least .500 overall, and one over an opponent who's .500 against FCS teams. 2) JSU has healthy margins of victory, 24 points, against two of the FCS teams on its schedule; Montana has one double-digit margin of 25.

I'm not saying it's a winning argument, but it's the strongest one I can see based on the schedules. In the end it boils down to preseason rankings and week-to-week results relative to other ranked teams. JSU and Montana started out fifth and sixth in the TSN preseason poll, and their losses to this point haven't given pollsters enough reason to drop them far. Both are getting a pass from pollsters on FBS losses with Montana maybe even getting a smidgen of credit for a close FBS game; the Griz' loss to NDSU was enough to drop them a few spots, but not far. I'm not saying that's the right way for pollsters to rank teams, but clearly that's how many are doing it.

An issue you can not take out of a human poll is History (reputation). If it comes down to two teams, history will always win.
1. How hard is it to break into the top 25, and even more so the top 10 if you have never been there before?
2. If you have a good history, and you lose to a bad team you will not drop as much in a poll as the team with a bad history.

It is as if it is on the verge of Group Thinking, or Bandwagon effect

F'N Hawks
October 14th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Montana State is ranked too high. It's fine for now,based on record, but they are going to run into trouble as soon as the weather isn't 80 and sunny. Like usual. If you give up 600 yards of offense to Davis, you have major issues. Can't keep outscoring everybody.

Beachdude
October 14th, 2014, 09:15 AM
Montana State is ranked too high. It's fine for now,based on record, but they are going to run into trouble as soon as the weather isn't 80 and sunny. Like usual. If you give up 600 yards of offense to Davis, you have major issues. Can't keep outscoring everybody.

Exactly what I've been saying about Coastal as well. If they can get their Defense as potent as their Offense, then they will be a team to reckon with. In fairness, Coastal's D has really been banged up, with their top three players getting limited or no playing time the past three games. But it does need some work overall to be a solid team.

CraigS
October 14th, 2014, 09:17 AM

This is NOT a factual statement! Since then however, they did lose to the #2 ranked DII CSU-P, then rebounded to beat #4 McNeese St.....Sam has been hard to "rank" due to young players and new coaching staff...they played well against #2 EWU for 3 1/2 qts...looked terrible against CSU-P, then turned it around in the first 2 conference games...I think the current #24 ranking is fair...whereas I wouldn't have argued had they been in the 25-30 spots for a few more weeks to further prove they can be consistent.

robsnotes4u
October 14th, 2014, 09:30 AM

Why not?

Seeing those numbers, you’d probably expect overall scoring to drop as the mercury drops.
Surprisingly, that’s not the case. As Brian Burke at Advanced NFL Stats determined (http://www.advancednflstats.com/2008/01/cold-weather-effect-on-scoring.html) after analyzing scoring during the 2002-2006 seasons: “It doesn’t appear that cold weather reduces scoring.” Cold weather does, however, seem “to slightly enhance the spread between winner and loser by depressing the score of the loser.

http://freakonomics.com/2012/01/13/football-freakonomics-the-frozen-conundrum/

Grizalltheway
October 14th, 2014, 09:55 AM
Going back to 2009, the Cats have scored the following in late November/early December:

'09: 19
'10: 21, 17
'11: 10, 26, 13
'12: 16, 16, 16
'13: 14

Who knows, this year could very well be different, but there it is.

robsnotes4u
October 14th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Going back to 2009, the Cats have scored the following in late November/early December:

'09: 19
'10: 21, 17
'11: 10, 26, 13
'12: 16, 16, 16
'13: 14

Who knows, this year could very well be different, but there it is.

Did Prokup and this offense play in any of those games?

If I flip a coin 10 times and it comes up heads every time, what are the odds it is heads on the 11th flip?

Ok sir, you may step down, that is all

Grizalltheway
October 14th, 2014, 10:09 AM

If I flip a coin 10 times and it comes up heads every time, what are the odds it is heads on the 11th flip?

xlolx

Jesus, you are one insufferable MFer.

Let's take 2011 for example. Cats averaged 36 ppg, were ranked #1 in the country and their latest greates QB ever going into Cat/Griz, then promptly laid an egg and scored ten points. It was largely the same story in '12 and '13 in terms of dropoff in offensive production once Cat/Griz and the first round of the playoffs came around.

And I'm not sure what random probability has to do with a sport that is anything but random, but you keep on truckin' there, professor.

McNeese72
October 14th, 2014, 10:38 AM
This is NOT a factual statement! Since then however, they did lose to the #2 ranked DII CSU-P, then rebounded to beat #4 McNeese St.....Sam has been hard to "rank" due to young players and new coaching staff...they played well against #2 EWU for 3 1/2 qts...looked terrible against CSU-P, then turned it around in the first 2 conference games...I think the current #24 ranking is fair...whereas I wouldn't have argued had they been in the 25-30 spots for a few more weeks to further prove they can be consistent.

I think that Sam Houston has used their two open dates (the one before the Lamar game and the one before the McNeese games) very well. From what I saw, they are starting to put things together and get everybody (new coaches and new transfer players) all on the same page. With them not playing SLU, I wouldn't be surprised if they run the table on the rest of the season. May not happen but, if it did, it wouldn't surprise me.

As far as McNeese, we were and are still overrated. As I said last week, we still haven't beaten anybody good, yet.

Doc

F'N Hawks
October 14th, 2014, 10:42 AM

You can try and spin it all you want that "this year is different" but they are soft. They are a good team with skill but are going to get beat up again in the playoffs. The weather was windy and slightly cold vs. UND and they could barely get a yard rushing. Prokop had -18 yards rushing. Think about that for a minute.

CrazyCat
October 14th, 2014, 10:59 AM
You can try and spin it all you want that "this year is different" but they are soft. They are a good team with skill but are going to get beat up again in the playoffs. The weather was windy and slightly cold vs. UND and they could barely get a yard rushing. Prokop had -18 yards rushing. Think about that for a minute.

I just thought about it. Who won that game? It really should show you that even when this offense isn't in techmo mode that they can still win.

F'N Hawks
October 14th, 2014, 11:01 AM
I just thought about it. Who won that game? It really should show you that even when this offense isn't in techmo mode that they can still win.

Congratulations. Hopefully, you see a team of UND's caliber in the first round of the playoffs.

Grizalltheway
October 14th, 2014, 11:19 AM

The difference being that UND only averages 13 points a game. UM's defense ranks higher than UND's statistically, and our offense, while not great, has put up big numbers against mediocre to bad defenses.

kittiekop
October 14th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Big numbers? UM has scored over 30 twice this season; over 40 once - against their Div. II opponent. The other game over 30 point game was against Northern Colorado, a defensive juggernaut. Spin the offense how you want, its impotent. UM has been finding ways to win games - namely through their defense - but the John Madden rule applies: You have to score more points than your opponent to win.

robsnotes4u
October 14th, 2014, 12:03 PM
xlolx

Jesus, you are one insufferable MFer.

Let's take 2011 for example. Cats averaged 36 ppg, were ranked #1 in the country and their latest greates QB ever going into Cat/Griz, then promptly laid an egg and scored ten points. It was largely the same story in '12 and '13 in terms of dropoff in offensive production once Cat/Griz and the first round of the playoffs came around.

And I'm not sure what random probability has to do with a sport that is anything but random, but you keep on truckin' there, professor.

Did Prukop or this aggressive offense play in the previous years?

semobison
October 14th, 2014, 12:07 PM
Big numbers? UM has scored over 30 twice this season; over 40 once - against their Div. II opponent. The other game over 30 point game was against Northern Colorado, a defensive juggernaut. Spin the offense how you want, its impotent. UM has been finding ways to win games - namely through their defense - but the John Madden rule applies: You have to score more points than your opponent to win.

Or.... you can give up less points than you score. I like than angle better!

Grizalltheway
October 14th, 2014, 12:13 PM

Right, and we've done that in all but two games so far, just like the Cats. In my homerish opinion I'll take a good (we'll find out down the stretch if they're great) defense over a prolific offense and a defense that gives up close to 500 yards a game.

Grizalltheway
October 14th, 2014, 12:20 PM
Did Prukop or this aggressive offense play in the previous years?

No, but McGhee and another high-scoring offense, along with the same coach and much better defenses, did, with the same result every year.

Look, I already conceded that things could very well be different this year, but if I were a betting man, I'd put my money on their offensive numbers dropping as the business end of the season approaches. I could be wrong, I could be right. Let's play the games and see what happens. xcoffeex

robsnotes4u
October 14th, 2014, 12:29 PM

Yes, and I was at the Griz/Sioux game. The Griz had 42 rushing yards, and negative yards in the first half. After watching that game, I think the Sioux have the best defense in the BSC.

robsnotes4u
October 14th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Or.... you can give up less points than you score. I like than angle better!

lol. The beauty of the Bison. Too have both the three previous years. Have a defense that holds them. Add an offense that can score if needs be, or just grind out the clock and win. Jensen was a master of the clock, and QB draw. Balanced.

CraigS
October 14th, 2014, 12:36 PM
Well, I'll put the team out of the Southland in contention for a good run in the playoffs. With 5 in the top 40 / 2 in top 25 whoever it is will be fairly well tested....SELA ....McNeese falls to SHSU (some see as a let down) but SHSU was a relative unknown due to grads and new coach/system UCA and SFA playing decent...it will all come together soon.

uofmman1122
October 14th, 2014, 01:41 PM
You do realize that the Cats defense may be worse than UNC's, right?

You guys haven't stopped anyone this season, and three of the teams you've played put up more yards on your D than on their Sub D-1 opponents.

If UM can put at least 35 on the Cats, we'll win.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 14th, 2014, 01:55 PM
You do realize that the Cats defense may be worse than UNC's, right?

You guys haven't stopped anyone this season, and three of the teams you've played put up more yards on your D than on their Sub D-1 opponents.

If UM can put at least 35 on the Cats, we'll win.

If the Griz defense that I saw in the FD shows up every week now, they will win the BSC title IMO.

CrazyCat
October 14th, 2014, 02:00 PM
Anybody seen a horse ?

Grizalltheway
October 14th, 2014, 02:06 PM
Anybody seen a horse ?

xlolx

Hence the last part of my last post. We can sit here and jaw about numbers and stats all we want, but nobody knows for sure how things are going to shake out until it gets played out on the field.

<insert John Madden photo here>

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 14th, 2014, 02:10 PM
Anybody seen a horse ?

Dickinson State would score 40 on the porous MSU defense

GoAgs72
October 14th, 2014, 02:15 PM

I'm not sure I understand that one either. UC Davis has about one chance in a 100 of beating Montana right now.

CrazyCat
October 14th, 2014, 02:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss2hULhXf04

Sycamore62
October 14th, 2014, 03:09 PM
I've taken this year in stride and understand how ISUb's ranking could be where it was but how does #20 get beat by #15 by 2pts on a last second FG and drop 2 spots, while #15 jumps 5 spots?

I know this happens to everyone sometimes but I could see #20 drop 5 and #15 jump 2. not what happened

Edit: I left out that #20's starting QB didnt play due to concussion.