PDA

View Full Version : If CCU wins out..........

Chants '07
November 7th, 2006, 08:06 AM
This has to be the year we get in!!

OOC wins against Wofford (@Wofford), S.C. State, and at the time #3 Furman, who have only lost to #1 App and the ACC's UNC.

The loss to Elon is really hurting. But after G. South took App to OT I feel a little bit better about that one.

What do you guys think? 9-2 we're in or out? I think even at 8-3 we should get a look, although we probably won't get in.

ButlerGSU
November 7th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Maybe but I wouldn't put money on it.

rokamortis
November 7th, 2006, 08:14 AM
I think we have a good shot at 9-2, but we have to get to 9-2 first. The next two games aren't gimmes and those teams are going to be ready to battle. Next stop Boiling Springs ...

OL FU
November 7th, 2006, 08:16 AM
The difficulty with that question is many times the winners of the auto-bid conferences are not the obviousl choices. For example, EWU winning the BSC last year. This year the SLC and PL are more than likely one bid conferences. That helps. The Big Sky may be one bid unless Montana State beats Montana. If the SoCon ends up being one bid ( God Forbid), you are definitely in at 9-2. MEAC just might put two in this year.

All things being as they should be, 9-2 with the schedule you played should get you in.

Chants '07
November 7th, 2006, 08:21 AM
The difficulty with that question is many times the winners of the auto-bid conferences are not the obviousl choices. For example, EWU winning the BSC last year. This year the SLC and PL are more than likely one bid conferences. That helps. The Big Sky may be one bid unless Montana State beats Montana. If the SoCon ends up being one bid ( God Forbid), you are definitely in at 9-2. MEAC just might put two in this year.

All things being as they should be, 9-2 with the schedule you played should get you in.

Yeah I thought about that as well. And as previously stated we have to get to 9-2 FIRST. We get the best shot of every team in the Big South week in and week out. This week is going to be KEY!! I really hope the guys don't look past GW with Chuck South looming next week.

My oh my what a good time we're going to have NEXT WEEK if we can pull out this win on the road THIS WEEK!!!

GW, YOU'RE NEXT!!!

Lehigh Football Nation
November 7th, 2006, 08:26 AM
IMO, win against G-W and Chuck South and you're in. You'd then have wins over two teams who spent time in the Top 25. But it won't be easy.

OL FU
November 7th, 2006, 08:28 AM
IMO, win against G-W and Chuck South and you're in. You'd then have wins over two teams who spent time in the Top 25. But it won't be easy.

One win against the #10 team:nod:

asu7
November 7th, 2006, 08:36 AM
you guys have to got to avoid the Late hiccup that you always get ... I see these last two games bein rough ... if you win em tho ... you should be in ... but I think a lot of it has to do with what FU does ... if FU wins out then it will be a bit tricky to get you in ... but anything is possible

Lehigh Football Nation
November 7th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Coastal has to be able to beat... the anti-Coastal....

Chuck
South
http://statsoverload.com/images/football/ncaadivisioni-aa/2379.gif

rokamortis
November 7th, 2006, 08:43 AM
you guys have to got to avoid the Late hiccup that you always get ... I see these last two games bein rough ... if you win em tho ... you should be in ... but I think a lot of it has to do with what FU does ... if FU wins out then it will be a bit tricky to get you in ... but anything is possible

I'm not sure you can characterize what happened last year as 'always'. It was a bad situation no doubt, but we had never been in the situation before.

Also, I don't think our fate rides on what Furman does.

rokamortis
November 7th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Coastal has to be able to beat... the anti-Coastal..Chuck South

Don't forget about Gardner-Webb.

OL FU
November 7th, 2006, 08:47 AM
I'm not sure you can characterize what happened last year as 'always'. It was a bad situation no doubt, but we had never been in the situation before.

I agree. Furman winning does not put you out of the playoffs. Furman losing makes it an even easier decision only because there is one less typical at-large team in the playoffs. Honestly. if you are 9-2 and Furman is 8-3, the argument could be made that Furman beat the teams that beat CCU. But in my opinion the head-to-head trumps that in this case and CCU should get in ahead of Furman anyway.

asu7
November 7th, 2006, 08:51 AM

personally I hope you get in and get to come back to THE ROCK ... I would much rather play you guys than some of these other teams to likely get in and play top seeds ...

Mr. C
November 7th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Considering the landscape of so few quality 9-2 and 8-3 teams this season, I would defintely put Coastal Carolina in, should they finish 9-2. They have played a good schedule for the most part and have a quality win over Furman. The Wofford win isn't chopped liver either. The Terriers are better than a lot of people realize. CCU definitely is a better pick than San Diego, Delaware State, Holy Cross etc.

rokamortis
November 7th, 2006, 08:55 AM
personally I hope you get in and get to come back to THE ROCK ... I would much rather play you guys than some of these other teams to likely get in and play top seeds ...

I hope we get in too. Can't say i'm really looking forward to a return trip to Boone, but hopefully we would be a little more competitive than last year.

rokamortis
November 7th, 2006, 08:58 AM
The Wofford win isn't chopped liver either. The Terriers are better than a lot of people realize.

Yeah, Wofford is the poster child team that is 'better than their record indicates'.

OL FU
November 7th, 2006, 08:58 AM
A lesson for teams that want fan's respect.

Two years ago if this thread had been posted ( And I am sure it was) , CCU would have been creamed by non-CCU fans ( And I am sure they were) due to a weak schedule.

One year ago, Same thing but a little less vigilence on the part of non-CCU fans.

This year, with improved schedule, RESPECT:nod:

rokamortis
November 7th, 2006, 09:01 AM
2 years ago we were hammered badly, deservingly so. our schedule was riddled with sub-DI and non-scholly teams.

Last year wasn't so bad - about half and half. The only great win was JMU and that ended up not being as great as it initially appeared. SCSU was a pretty good win too on the road. But what helped us greatly was the committee actually going on the record of saying if we had won out we were in.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 7th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Considering the landscape of so few quality 9-2 and 8-3 teams this season, I would defintely put Coastal Carolina in, should they finish 9-2. They have played a good schedule for the most part and have a quality win over Furman. The Wofford win isn't chopped liver either. The Terriers are better than a lot of people realize. CCU definitely is a better pick than San Diego, Delaware State, Holy Cross etc.

This year, this is definitely true. CCU can point to two quality wins against ranked opponents: Furman and Chuck South (should they win out). That's a pretty damn good 9-2 resume. Better than 8-3 Holy Cross or 9-2 Delaware State, both with no wins over Top 25 teams.

th0m
November 7th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Could be the year for them. They've scheduled up, and won some decent games. Would definitely pick you guys over USD, that's for sure...

MarkCCU
November 7th, 2006, 11:06 AM
If i said what I thought, I would be restating what is already posted. We have to go 9-2 to get in, we can't pysche ourselves out into thinking Gwebb and Charleston Southern will be easy wins. We've got everything to gain by being the best team we can be. And it's not as if defeating these two teams is impossible, we''ve never lose to Gwebb and have only one loss to Charleston Southern

rokamortis
November 7th, 2006, 11:08 AM
If i said what I thought, I would be restating what is already posted. We have to go 9-2 to get in, we can't pysche ourselves out into thinking Gwebb and Charleston Southern will be easy wins. We've got everything to gain by being the best team we can be. And it's not as if defeating these two teams is impossible, we''ve never lose to Gwebb and have only one loss to Charleston Southern

We lost to GWU our first year. We have 2-1 records against both of those teams and 3-1 against liberty and VMI. I'm hoping we make it 3-1 across the board.

Death Dealer
November 7th, 2006, 11:26 AM
You guys better win these next two games.....I really want to see another SC team in the playoffs, and I just feel like it's your year to get in....and with all the graduates this year, it might take you awhile to rebuild, particularly if you move to the SOCON soon.

rokamortis
November 7th, 2006, 11:28 AM
You guys better win these next two games......

Coming from a guy named Death Dealer - no pressure there :D

Chants '07
November 7th, 2006, 11:34 AM
My thoughts exactly Death Dealer. We've got A LOT of seniors on this team. I don't see us winning 8 games next year, maybe a conference title, but with a trip to Furman, S.C. State, and I think James Madison then Wofford and G. South in conway it's going to be a tough road.

I'm not sure if those teams are on the schedule for sure next year, but we are losing a lot of talent in this senior class.

bandl
November 7th, 2006, 11:37 AM
we''ve never lose to Gwebb
Yes you have, in 2003.

PantherRob82
November 7th, 2006, 11:48 AM
A lot of it plays into the autobid scenario. Like if UNI grabs the Gateway autobid, there will be one less spot available and the Gateway gets 3 teams instead of the possibility of just 2.

Death Dealer
November 7th, 2006, 12:14 PM
My thoughts exactly Death Dealer. We've got A LOT of seniors on this team. I don't see us winning 8 games next year, maybe a conference title, but with a trip to Furman, S.C. State, and I think James Madison then Wofford and G. South in conway it's going to be a tough road.

I'm not sure if those teams are on the schedule for sure next year, but we are losing a lot of talent in this senior class.

You know what I love about that though? It's not like it is a suprise to your AD that these guys are graduating. It's been coming for four years, and yet they still went out and scheduled a tough season! xsmileyclapx That's ballsy and what needs to be done to earn respect and build a strong program that grows and deserves to be a full participant in I-AA. :nod: Not all teams feel that way, obviously.:nonono2: :bang:

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 7th, 2006, 12:21 PM
I really think the Chants are on the path to the playoffs. Yes, a couple losses, maybe one, would knock them out, but there seems to be a great distance between the top teams and the rest. CCU is a team that is true middle of the pack I think, along with Maine, Richmond, WKU, UC-Davis, and maybe a couple more I am forgetting.

No way two years ago were people about to put CCU on par with the football teams, one of which is about to "move up" to I-A. Congrats on laying the foundation for a good program. Your team deserves to be in the mix of it at 9-2 and perhaps even 8-3 though that would be a much harder sell with a loss to either Chuck South or G Webb, neither of which will probably be in the field of 16.

Good luck these two weeks. You never know, somehow you may find yourselves in Harrisonburg sooner than you think! :smiley_wi

MarkCCU
November 7th, 2006, 12:46 PM
We lost to GWU our first year. We have 2-1 records against both of those teams and 3-1 against liberty and VMI. I'm hoping we make it 3-1 across the board.
we did? hmmm i don't remember...well i admit my error

Coastal89
November 7th, 2006, 12:53 PM

We don't get Wofford in Conway, they bought out last year to play WVU. That's why we got Mansfield. Also, SCSU isn't on the schedule. Winston Salem St. comes to Conway and 2 dates are still open.

Cincy App
November 7th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Coastal's odds are extremely good to make the field if it finishes 9-2 this year. I wouldn't consider it a lock yet though. For instance, the following teams will be in as at-large teams if they finish 8-3 or better:

(1) JMU
(2) UNH
(3) Illinois St
(4) S. Illinois
(5) Cal Poly
(6) Montana St (would drop UM to at large if they win on 11/18)

These teams are likely in if they win out:
(7) Furman (I know it can be debated whether FU or CCU should be in the field first - but I like Furman's odds better)
(8) Towson (would have to beat JMU and Richmond to close out year - would be hard to keep them out if they close like that)

Additional dangerous scenarios:
(9) UT Martin - a loss in their last 2 games would potentially allow a different OVC team to win the auto bid - then UTM takes away an at-large bid
(10) UNI could lose to SIU but still win the conference at 7-4. This would create the opportunity for 4 GW teams to be considered. A YSU win over WKU would prevent this.

Again, Coastal's odds are very good this year but they are still on the bubble until MSU, Towson, etc fall short. CCU will definitely be in before a 4 loss team or a mid-major. They also should be in before a 9-2 Delaware St team.

OL FU
November 7th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Coastal's odds are extremely good to make the field if it finishes 9-2 this year. I wouldn't consider it a lock yet though. For instance, the following teams will be in as at-large teams if they finish 8-3 or better:

(1) JMU
(2) UNH
(3) Illinois St
(4) S. Illinois
(5) Cal Poly
(6) Montana St (would drop UM to at large if they win on 11/18)

These teams are likely in if they win out:
(7) Furman (I know it can be debated whether FU or CCU should be in the field first - but I like Furman's odds better)
(8) Towson (would have to beat JMU and Richmond to close out year - would be hard to keep them out if they close like that)

Additional dangerous scenarios:
(9) UT Martin - a loss in their last 2 games would potentially allow a different OVC team to win the auto bid - then UTM takes away an at-large bid
(10) UNI could lose to SIU but still win the conference at 7-4. This would create the opportunity for 4 GW teams to be considered. A YSU win over WKU would prevent this.

Again, Coastal's odds are very good this year but they are still on the bubble until MSU, Towson, etc fall short. CCU will definitely be in before a 4 loss team or a mid-major. They also should be in before a 9-2 Delaware St team.

Also among your teams Cal-Poly is going to NDSU this week. That does not mean a loss but NDSU has to be favored in that one.

It would be an interesting pick between CCU at 9-2, Towson at 8-3 and Furman at 8-3. CCU wins the heads up against Furman gets some credit for losing only to top 25 teams and a good game against a bad I-A. Towson plays in one of the tougher conferences in I-AA but probably had the most favorable possible schedule in that conference. Also Towson beat badly by a ranked but low ranked Maine, beat by W&M with a losing record and (who else beat them, I can't remember probably JMU) I think Towson is out first and then CCU gets it by beating Furman

CSUBUCDAD
November 7th, 2006, 04:21 PM
CCU deserves serious consideration if they win out. They have faced the dragons this year and come out with only minor bumps and lacerations. Gotta have a load of respect for a program so young to go after the big boys like they have.

AndrewFU21
November 7th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Regarding FU vs. CCU, I'm not sure how much consideration the PSC gives to head to head. I seem to remember an 8-3 ASU team, having lost the head to head, getting a seed over a 9-2 FU team last year. Somewhat similar to a potentially 9-2 Coastal with a win over a potentially 8-3 FU team.

Anyway, if both win out, I think both will get in.

Chants '07
November 7th, 2006, 06:12 PM
One of ASU's 3 losses came to #10 LSU last year.

I know Furman lost to UNC, but UNC is no where near LSU!!

Dabnus Brickey
November 8th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Yeah, its always controversial. Why not a second tournament of the next 16? Kind of like...the NIT?

OL FU
November 8th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Regarding FU vs. CCU, I'm not sure how much consideration the PSC gives to head to head. I seem to remember an 8-3 ASU team, having lost the head to head, getting a seed over a 9-2 FU team last year. Somewhat similar to a potentially 9-2 Coastal with a win over a potentially 8-3 FU team.

Anyway, if both win out, I think both will get in.

I don't think that is comparable. Whether they should have or should not have. I think the committee viewed ASU's record as 8-1 and SoCon Champt who lost to a very good Furman team who lost to WCU and GSU:twocents:

I guess they short answer would have been , they had better look at head to head. :smiley_wi

SirApp
November 8th, 2006, 09:51 AM
yea, we were SoCon champs and only lost to one 1-AA...hence the seed.

If ya'll didn't lose to GSU or WCU, it would have been yours.

walliver
November 8th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Furman would win out over CCU because the Committee tends to stick with tried and true teams over newcomers (IMHO). On the other hand, there are not a lot of southern teams with realistic chances for at-large spot, and I suspect both teams would get in. The committee is supposed to pick the top 8 at-large teams, but I suspect there will be a lot of regional politics involved, too.

BeauFoster
November 8th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Yeah, its always controversial. Why not a second tournament of the next 16? Kind of like...the NIT?

Maybe the NCAA could institute an NIT-type tourney for Mid-Majors. That would go a long way to solving some of the problems that we have this year. There is talk of dividing up some of the other, lower divisions by the number of scholarships that they award, so why can't the CS do it? Mid-majors would be eligible for their tournament and if they want to play with the big boys, they can petition and adds scholarships and play a tougher conference schedule and then move up and be eligible for the "major" (for lack of a better word) playoff.

colorless raider
November 8th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Coastal has to be able to beat... the anti-Coastal....

Chuck
South
http://statsoverload.com/images/football/ncaadivisioni-aa/2379.gif
Win it for SJM!!:hurray:

AndrewFU21
November 8th, 2006, 12:54 PM
I don't think that is comparable. Whether they should have or should not have. I think the committee viewed ASU's record as 8-1 and SoCon Champt who lost to a very good Furman team who lost to WCU and GSU:twocents:

I guess they short answer would have been , they had better look at head to head. :smiley_wi

I think they are very comparable. Last year, they decided that ASU's loss to FU was trumped by them playing a tougher schedule and having a better overall resume. This year, if they want to be consistent, they will do the same with FU and CCU.

OL FU
November 8th, 2006, 12:55 PM
I think they are very comparable. Last year, they decided that ASU's loss to FU was trumped by them playing a tougher schedule and having a better overall resume. This year, if they want to be consistent, they will do the same with FU and CCU.

I think they decided that ASU's SoCon Championship trumped losing to Furman.

UMass922
November 8th, 2006, 01:30 PM
CCU definitely is a better pick than San Diego, Delaware State, Holy Cross etc.

I think even an 8-3 Coastal would still be a better pick than any of those teams. At 9-2, Coastal would be a lock. At 8-3, they'd still have a very good case, IMHO--they'd just need a little bit of help from the A-10, Gateway, Big Sky, etc.

UMass922
November 8th, 2006, 01:35 PM

I agree. I think more consideration should always be given to the team with the better overall resume. Head-to-head should be the deciding factor only if the two teams' resumes are deemed to be otherwise equal.

OL FU
November 8th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I agree. I think more consideration should always be given to the team with the better overall resume. Head-to-head should be the deciding factor only if the two teams' resumes are deemed to be otherwise equal.

I don't disagree conceptually but you have to look specifically.

CCU and Furman schedules are not that different in difficulty. Furman had a I-A and APP state. Furman's is probably stronger but not by an obvious measurement, so you have to look to the head to head.

windwalker
November 8th, 2006, 04:01 PM
I don't disagree conceptually but you have to look specifically.

CCU and Furman schedules are not that different in difficulty. Furman had a I-A and APP state. Furman's is probably stronger but not by an obvious measurement, so you have to look to the head to head.

According to Sagarin's poll SOS in ( ), I guess he thinks it is quite differnet.

Furman ( 162)
Coastal Carolina ( 201)

PaladinFan
November 8th, 2006, 04:40 PM
From what I see, Furman goes on the road against a good Coastal team, loses on a botched extra point play. That isn't the same as going up to WCU and playing like crud last year and losing by a couple touchdowns.

I think the committee wants to see the best field possible. I believe that puts in Furman and CCU. I also believe that puts Furman in over CCU, regardless of head to head.

IMO, both will get invited and CCU will either hit the road up to Boone or Greenville. UTM will most likely head to the other.

OL FU
November 8th, 2006, 06:13 PM
According to Sagarin's poll SOS in ( ), I guess he thinks it is quite differnet.

Furman ( 162)
Coastal Carolina ( 201)

I will say it before and I will say it again
Sagarin Shmagarinxlolx

Besides that Sagarin does not keep track of DIIs so our West Georgia game would not be in the rating

OL FU
November 8th, 2006, 06:15 PM
And in case any body is wondering I am a Furman homer, but I want to see a reasonable and understandable bracket. I like what I-AA does and want to see it as pure as possible, even though purity is not possible

keydet71
November 8th, 2006, 07:48 PM
CCU, weighing in late here....but IMHO, you win out this year & you are in. You may be playing in "timbuktu", but you'll be there. Just don't screw up the last two games.

AndrewFU21
November 8th, 2006, 08:56 PM
And in case any body is wondering I am a Furman homer, but I want to see a reasonable and understandable bracket. I like what I-AA does and want to see it as pure as possible, even though purity is not possible

Agreed. I think if you are going to include the 8 best at-large teams, both FU and CCU should be in, although the task for the committee is going to be tougher than ever this year, so it will be hard to fault them if somebody gets left out.

Death Dealer
November 8th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Agreed. I think if you are going to include the 8 best at-large teams, both FU and CCU should be in, although the task for the committee is going to be tougher than ever this year, so it will be hard to fault them if somebody gets left out.

Just better not be us!xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx