PDA

View Full Version : Military Classic of the South

citdog
November 6th, 2006, 05:57 PM
This Saturday in Historic Charleston, where the War for Southern Independence began, the most heated rivalry in all of I-AA and quite possibly the entire country will be renewed as The Citadel Bulldogs and The Virginia Military Institute Keydets (or kangaroos or whatever) will meet for the 65th time on the gridiron. The Citadel leads the series 32-30-2, and is looking for their third straight victory over Virginia's Marching Idiots. The Silver Shako will be awarded to the victor following the game.

I encourage all who are in driving distance to attend this game that is like no other.

Go DOGS!

Franks Tanks
November 6th, 2006, 06:08 PM
This Saturday in Historic Charleston, where the War for Southern Independence began, the most heated rivalry in all of I-AA and quite possibly the entire country will be renewed as The Citadel Bulldogs and The Virginia Military Institute Keydets (or kangaroos or whatever) will meet for the 65th time on the gridiron. The Citadel leads the series 32-30-2, and is looking for their third straight victory over Virginia's Marching Idiots. The Silver Shako will be awarded to the victor following the game.

I encourage all who are in driving distance to attend this game that is like no other.

Go DOGS!

No doubt this must be a great game, but I think the Lafayett-Lehigh as well as Harvard-Yale faithful may not agree with the statement thats it is the most heated I-AA rivalry :smiley_wi

citdog
November 6th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Have the student bodies at Harvard or Yale or Lehigh ever met in the middle of the field and slugged it out?

Linehawg
November 6th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Hey, you're not still holding that thing we did to your cheerleaders against us are you? (Honest officer, she LOOKED 18!)

Franks Tanks
November 6th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Have the student bodies at Harvard or Yale or Lehigh ever met in the middle of the field and slugged it out?

Lafayette-Lehigh yes to an extent, Harvard-Yale no those guys are too classy. Also military men fighting at mid-field? wow that is surpising how did they let that happen? Both corps must have got a serious ass whopping for that by their admin

citdog
November 6th, 2006, 06:29 PM
I think we might have added a battle streamer to the 7 we have from The War for Southern Independence.

catamount man
November 6th, 2006, 06:30 PM

Go DOGS!

Wazzup bro!!! Hated to miss you at the WCU-El Cid game. Good luck this week and hope you beat VMI.

go catamounts!!!

chiapet9
November 6th, 2006, 06:37 PM
so they're actually putting the military classic of the south back on the teams home fields. i must say - having the game in charlotte was quite nice. i do hope that vmi wins though - being the proud sister of a VMI alum (even though my two uncles are Cit grads.) go Keydets! hoorah!:smiley_wi

citdog
November 6th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Good Uncles don't let their Nephews attend VMI.

Go...gate
November 6th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Lafayette-Lehigh yes to an extent, Harvard-Yale no those guys are too classy. Also military men fighting at mid-field? wow that is surpising how did they let that happen? Both corps must have got a serious ass whopping for that by their admin

Actually, I believe the history of H - Y does include such "slugging at midfield" around the turn of the 20th Century. This also happened at Princeton-Yale and Princeton-Harvard (indeed, the Princeton-Harvard series was suspended for several years in the 1920's due to such hooliganism). Later, the 1947 Princeton-Penn game, a 17-14 Princeton upset over a powerful Penn team with Bednarik, Savitsky, et. al was marred by a post-game fight on the Franklin Field gridiron between several hundred PU and UP students which turned into a riot. To this day, Princeton and Penn request, and receive, substantial additional Police detail for their annual game due to this incident.

So, the moral of the story is that this stuff has happened throughout the decades in many of the nation's most heated college football rivalries. Nevertheless, GAME ON!!!!

Linehawg
November 6th, 2006, 11:15 PM

Be nice to the Keydets. Odds are you'll be working for one when you leave the military.xlolx

BULLDOG8180
November 7th, 2006, 12:03 AM

I guess her brother didn't get accepted and had to go to VMI.:D

BlueHen86
November 7th, 2006, 09:53 AM
I'd love to see this game someday, but it won't be this year. I've had several family members attend VMI dating back to pre civil war days. Charles Crockett, who 'Died on the Field of Honor' at the battle of New Market, is in my family tree.
As for this year, I think VMI will keep this game close, but the Citadel will win their third in a row in the series.

ysubigred
November 7th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Two of my SMI's I support from Fort Knox :) I was at VMI two weeks ago inspecting and they were gearing up for this one then :)

I love the atmosphere on SMI campuses :thumbsup:

chiapet9
November 7th, 2006, 08:43 PM
actually - my brother was accepted at both. vmi is a state school - therefore cheaper.

familiar with the 2001 acquisition of the Citadel Jeep by a certain group of VMI cadets?

Death Dealer
November 7th, 2006, 11:04 PM
I guess her brother didn't get accepted and had to go to VMI.:D

I was living in Charleston at the time, and one of my roommates during the year they let the first female into the Citadel was a Bellhop alum....he and all the other alums in Charleston (and there are many) had t-shirts made up that said:

Front: What? Women at the Citadel?

Back: What next? Men at VMI?

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx Great T-shirt!

citdog
November 8th, 2006, 09:02 AM
familiar with the 2001 acquisition of the Citadel Jeep by a certain group of VMI cadets?[/QUOTE]

Sure am, are you familiar with the 1998 on campus raid by the "Dirty Dozen" that painted a blue C on the middle of the VMI Parade Ground and painted the statue of Lt. Gen Thomas J. Jackson Citadel Blue?

chiapet9
November 8th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Sure am, are you familiar with the 1998 on campus raid by the "Dirty Dozen" that painted a blue C on the middle of the VMI Parade Ground and painted the statue of Lt. Gen Thomas J. Jackson Citadel Blue?

hmm...unfamiliar with that one. however - painting a couple things does not even compare to the fact that your Jeep was stolen - and brought back to VMI - where it was stored ON POST in a faculty members garage. anyway - my brother was one of the masterminds of the mission and made both trips to Charleston - one to get the Jeep...and one to return the Jeep. he was unfortunately not able to make it to the game (due to usmc drill requirements) so he was unable to ride out onto the field with the stolen property.

dungeonjoe
November 8th, 2006, 09:11 AM
How are the tickets for this game Citdog? any still available? I will be in Charleston this weekend on business and there is an outside chance I might go to the game.

El_Cid_99
November 8th, 2006, 09:27 AM
The 1998 "dirty dozen" raid was legendary. I was a cadet at the time. They also put bicycle locks on all the barracks gates and locked the corps in.

And dungeonjoe, there are still tickets available. The weather is supposed to be nice and warm for the game. Come on out!

citdog
November 8th, 2006, 11:22 AM
We'd love to have you Joe and with VMI's new offense and the gold helmets if you squint you might think it's Wofford!

dungeonjoe
November 8th, 2006, 12:52 PM
We'd love to have you Joe and with VMI's new offense and the gold helmets if you squint you might think it's Wofford!

i don't want to do that... the keydets might win!:rotateh: I will be pulling for my SOCon brothers

citdog
November 8th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Joe, if you can make it look for the largest Big Red (red SC flag) and come and share a frosty cold adult beverage with us.

Millwoch
November 8th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Get your tickets early...it is homecoming and should be a large crowd...you should be able to get a seat though...stadium holds 22000 and we are only sell 13-15 thousand per game this year. Tailgating should be the best of the year...all the alum will have their respective classes there throwing a few cold one back. have fun.

I hope there is a good showing from the Keydets....I am glad it is back to a home and home series. The Charlotte deal just didn't work out, mainly because the weather did not cooperate.

Beat the Hell out of the keydets

chiapet9
November 8th, 2006, 04:05 PM
can't make it this year - but will definitely be there with the whole fam when they come to Lex-vegas next year.

citdog
November 10th, 2006, 09:38 AM
the weather appears to be excellent and the 'Dogs are ready to show that we are still the REAL Military College of the South.

walliver
November 10th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Get your tickets early...it is homecoming and should be a large crowd...you should be able to get a seat though...stadium holds 22000 and we are only sell 13-15 thousand per game this year. Tailgating should be the best of the year...all the alum will have their respective classes there throwing a few cold one back. have fun.

I hope there is a good showing from the Keydets....I am glad it is back to a home and home series. The Charlotte deal just didn't work out, mainly because the weather did not cooperate.

Beat the Hell out of the keydets

No smack intended, but what happened to the missing 5000-7000 fans. Will they all come back when the renovations are finished?

citdog
November 11th, 2006, 09:21 AM
We hope so, it has been hard on us with the renovations, but when we get finished we will have as fine of a facility as there is in I-AA.

BEAT VMI

AZGrizFan
November 11th, 2006, 09:33 AM
so they're actually putting the military classic of the south back on the teams home fields. i must say - having the game in charlotte was quite nice. i do hope that vmi wins though - being the proud sister of a VMI alum (even though my two uncles are Cit grads.) go Keydets! hoorah!:smiley_wi

That must make for interesting family reunions. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

citdog
November 11th, 2006, 06:13 PM
The Bulldogs absolutely demolished the "Fake Citadel" today 48-21.

The coveted Silver Shako will remain where it belongs, between the Ashley and the Cooper Rivers! :hurray: :hurray: xsmileyclapx

ngineer
November 11th, 2006, 06:36 PM

YES!! Many times....I was there in 1970.:nod:

citdog
November 13th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Largest crowd of the season 17,594 which is more people than we have living Alumni, saw the game at General Johnson Hagood, CSA Stadium on Saturday.