PDA

View Full Version : Delaware Football Losing Games and Fans

superman7515
October 10th, 2014, 03:16 PM
http://www.delawareonline.com/story/sports/college/ud/2014/10/10/rebuilds-delaware-football-losing-games-fans/17046469/

NEWARK – Harry L. Morrow is 90 now and no longer attends University of Delaware football games. So he listens on the radio from his Newark home.Last Saturday night, he called his son, who has gone to Blue Hens games since childhood. The surprise and disappointment were clear in his voice.

"He just said 'Kev, what happened?' " Kevin Morrow, now 56 and living in Harrington, said.

Harry Morrow was part of a chorus asking that same question after Delaware's 10-7 loss to Sacred Heart at Delaware Stadium.

Some weren't just referring to the game but to Delaware football in general, which also suffered a 62-0 loss at Pitt this year – the school's most lopsided in 93 years – and has been playing in front of dwindling crowds.

The Sacred Heart defeat, coming three weeks after the Hens needed two late touchdowns to avoid a first-ever loss to Colgate, was the latest reminder that Delaware football may not be, in the eyes of some, what it was or what it's supposed to be.

That would be a program that fills most of the 22,000 seats at Delaware Stadium and regularly imposes its will on visiting foes.

In recent years, expectations haven't always coincided with results. Disillusionment has become more apparent.

"It's just gotten more and more difficult going to games because you feel like they're going to implode," said Kevin Morrow, a U.S. Marine Corps and Air Force veteran who kept tabs on the Hens during a pair of recent tours to Afghanistan.

"I've come to expect that you don't know what to expect when you see Delaware play. They just don't have that killer instinct the way they used to."

Fans' disappointment is reflected in home attendance that has declined annually since 2006. A sluggish economy, increased game-day costs, including an unpopular season-ticket tariff, and a proliferation of televised college football options are among the reasons for the decline, say UD officials. Such declines have become common throughout college football, with students often among the hardest to attract to games.

Second-year Delaware coach Dave Brock shares the belief of many UD fans that the program is in need of an makeover, and he is engaged in that process. He termed the Sacred Heart loss "a very disappointing day for the program."

It came a week after one of the high points of his tenure – a 30-23 overtime win at James Madison in the Colonial Athletic Association opener.

Only improved play will convince any UD fans whose faith or interest may be waning, Brock said. He remains convinced the Hens are capable.

"Words are not worth a whole lot," Brock said. "I think you have to put a product on the field that the people have value in. We failed to do that on Saturday. I certainly don't think that was the case the previous week but, ultimately, you're judged week by week in what we do. We have to go out and play well this coming Saturday."

Delaware hosts Colonial Athletic Association newcomer Elon Saturday. Kickoff is at 3:30. Delaware has won just two of its last six CAA home games.

Delaware had actually won 22 straight games against nonconference visitors before the loss to Sacred Heart, which plays in the Northeast Conference.

But many UD fans had never heard of Sacred Heart, let alone knew where the school was located (Fairfield, Connecticut). Sacred Heart had lost its previous game to Bucknell and was viewed as a beatable opponent by the Blue Hens.

"The team and the program have been losing popularity," said Hockessin resident and long-time fan Frank Danberg, a 1972 UD grad, "because they're just not doing what they did in the past in terms of winning and being a contender for the playoffs."

'A shell of what it was'

While they inhabited just several rows in the East stands last Saturday, a group of Sacred Heart fans clad in the school's red colors were able to stand out through their vocal support, observed 1989 UD graduate Dave Mench, a Newark native who has also attended games since childhood. He suggested that never would have been possible as recently as five years ago, "when the stands were full."

It bothers him that the Delaware football experience now seems "a shell of what it was," he said, and wondered if a larger crowd may have provided the encouragement necessary to spark the Blue Hens to victory.

Average football attendance at Delaware Stadium peaked at 22,280 in 2004, the year after Delaware won the NCAA championship. It has declined annually since an average of 21,825 in 2006 down to 18,108 last year.

This year's average is 14,241 through three home games, though it was certainly negatively impacted by the Delaware State game having to be postponed on Sept. 6 because of thunderstorms. The game was played the next afternoon, going up against live NFL games...

Much more at the link.

Sader87
October 10th, 2014, 03:36 PM
I know this article is specifically about U Delaware but I think you could change the school's name with countless others at both the FBS and FCS levels (and some NFL teams to a degree) and have basically the same story.

Usual suspects/culprits: cell-phones/internet, big-screen TVs and availibility of multiple games and comforts of home, people are ovah-scheduled with families/work, not winning etc etc....list is ever growing.

There are outliers at the FCS-level: mostly out in the Upper Plains area (NDSU, Montana, Montana St), Liberty and maybe JMU on the East Coast but they are few and far in between.

I really don't see it getting bettah either sadly.

Engineer86
October 10th, 2014, 04:06 PM
I know this article is specifically about U Delaware but I think you could change the school's name with countless others at both the FBS and FCS levels (and some NFL teams to a degree) and have basically the same story.

Usual suspects/culprits: cell-phones/internet, big-screen TVs and availibility of multiple games and comforts of home, people are ovah-scheduled with families/work, not winning etc etc....list is ever growing.

There are outliers at the FCS-level: mostly out in the Upper Plains area (NDSU, Montana, Montana St), Liberty and maybe JMU on the East Coast but they are few and far in between.

I really don't see it getting bettah either sadly.

I always viewed Delaware as one of those that the local fans supported along with school and alumni supportand had constant sell outs or near. Less than dominant teams has hurt them.

Question, did/does Delaware's scheduling approach of not playing away OCC FCS games hurt them in anyway. Ie, quality home games and recruiting? Not sure, but it just seems that the program is sliding from it's very high level. Before this is taken as a shot at UD, it is not.

Kramden
October 10th, 2014, 04:07 PM
I would suspect with the rise of the NEC and athletic scholarships back at Patriot League Schools, we will see a dilution of talent across more Northeast Schools which might find similar roads that Delaware has been on.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 10th, 2014, 04:22 PM
"Win, and you get a lot of fans at Delaware. Lose, and they stop coming." #SavedYouAClick

Sader87
October 10th, 2014, 05:51 PM
I don't think it's all win and they will all come back though. Sure, ipso facto, winning teams will draw more than losing teams do but I don't think you'll see as "big" of crowds moving forward at either FCS or FBS games in general as you did in decades past.

Different world in so many ways: technologically, sociologically etc. than it was even 15-20 years ago. We posters here are sort of the "exception" rather than the rule at many FCS schools....the draw of a Saturday college football game doesn't have anywhere near as strong of a pull that it once did.

The NFL is going to run into this soon too I predict.

downbythebeach
October 10th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Delaware games aren't really that enjoyable to go to. They are football games and not really productions. All in all it just kind of feels old school. The college teams that are doing well have other things to entertain students than just football. For the record I'm not saying they should be like GA State and drop money from the rafters but at least do something to draw people.

Ivytalk
October 11th, 2014, 07:43 AM
Very interesting read from The News-Urinal Online. So students don't go because it's not as "fun" (thanks, Mr. Senior Mechanical Engineering Major), no "pregame revelry" (kudos, Ms. Unnamed Female Student), or they'd rather play with their smartphones. As other posters (or "postahs," as Sader87 might say) have said, it's not specific to UD, but endemic to FCS. That said, winning does help some, but you'd never know it from looking at Harvard's or Princeton's attendance.

Pards Rule
October 11th, 2014, 08:21 AM
Very interesting read from The News-Urinal Online. So students don't go because it's not as "fun" (thanks, Mr. Senior Mechanical Engineering Major), no "pregame revelry" (kudos, Ms. Unnamed Female Student), or they'd rather play with their smartphones. As other posters (or "postahs," as Sader87 might say) have said, it's not specific to UD, but endemic to FCS. That said, winning does help some, but you'd never know it from looking at Harvard's or Princeton's attendance.
Im looking forward to returning to the Tub when we start Delaware series. Was there ten years ago (already!?) in late November for the Pards first playoff game. Predictions as we entered that they would see us at halftime (leaving) didn't come true at all. Was in the balance until 2 minutes left.

mattyice718
October 11th, 2014, 08:42 AM
Many FBS programs are losing attendance as well and ADs everywhere are trying to find ways to rectify that. Rutgers is upgrading wi-fi in the stadium and their concessions to start.

caribbeanhen
October 11th, 2014, 08:47 AM
winning wont move the interest meter much at all if anything, and the AD Zaidy makes a mock reference to a student gazing into his/her smart phone, geez I can do that.... despite all the fancy talk about re invigorating the UD football fan base, they have no plan and have basically given up and said "it is what it is", despite all that Carib will be tuned in yet again for another lack luster Saturday..

DFW HOYA
October 11th, 2014, 08:53 AM

How much of that decrease is due to the product on the field?

Yes, when Harvard was drawing 25,000 a game in the 1960's, it was a different world--you didn't have ten games on TV, most Harvard families were in the Northeast and could drive to the game, and the other Ivy fan bases were more motivated to travel. Today, however, few would claim the product on the field is as good as it used to be.

That's the greatest threat to UD: perception. Playing Sacred Heart doesn't help matters.

Sitting Bull
October 11th, 2014, 09:01 AM
it's not specific to UD, but endemic to FCS.

Actually, it appears to be a problem throughout college football. There have been numerous articles on the problem in the last year citing places such as Georgia and Michigan State as examples of exactly the same issue. Students today just have so many other options.

Part of Delaware's problem is the current product. They are accustomed to dominating, not just winning. They built a lot of bandwagon fans over the years with that. It doesn't exist anymore.

Still, a lot of FCS programs would love to average in the 18,000 range.

Ivytalk
October 11th, 2014, 09:02 AM
How much of that decrease is due to the product on the field?

Yes, when Harvard was drawing 25,000 a game in the 1960's, it was a different world--you didn't have ten games on TV, most Harvard families were in the Northeast and could drive to the game, and the other Ivy fan bases were more motivated to travel. Today, however, few would claim the product on the field is as good as it used to be.

That's the greatest threat to UD: perception. Playing Sacred Heart doesn't help matters.

I really think it's a generational thing, Hoya. Harvard puts a much better product on the field now than it did 50 years ago, and it has a more national student body, but the younger generation just isn't that much into football. Current student attendance is down almost everywhere, because other things compete for the undergrads' time. The Internet is just one of those things. UD isn't alone in this. And for all the crap that Harvard and other Ivies take about their OOC schedules, bringing Army or Northwestern or Duke to Harvard Stadium wouldn't put more butts in the seats.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 11th, 2014, 09:43 AM
Let's get something straight: if Harvard played in the playoffs there'd be at least a 10% raise in attendance, because every game would mean more. It's hard enough to draw for OOC games when there's something at stake; for the Ivies, they are truly meaningless.

mattyice718
October 11th, 2014, 09:52 AM
Let's get something straight: if Harvard played in the playoffs there'd be at least a 10% raise in attendance, because every game would mean more. It's hard enough to draw for OOC games when there's something at stake; for the Ivies, they are truly meaningless.

Have to admit I never understood why the Ivies never wanted to compete for national championships. I know they decline every year because they do not want it to interfere with academics, but there always is one or two ivy teams that could make a deep run in the playoffs if they wanted to.

centennial
October 11th, 2014, 10:08 AM
But.. but.. most years the Ivy winner won't make it past the first round. However, I could quickly see them becoming the strongest FCS conference if the schools want to put money in it.

Ivytalk
October 11th, 2014, 11:32 AM

That's not my point, LFN. My point is that the decline in attendance is beyond playoffs. It's a fact that the students --future alums-- don't care as much about football as they used to. If the Ivies participated in the playoffs and, for the sake of argument, regular season average attendance rose from 8,000 (or whatever) to 8,800, what difference does that make? Channeling my inner Hillary Clinton here. And we all know that playoff attendance is a joke.

bulldog10jw
October 11th, 2014, 11:49 AM
Have to admit I never understood why the Ivies never wanted to compete for national championships. I know they decline every year because they do not want it to interfere with academics, but there always is one or two ivy teams that could make a deep run in the playoffs if they wanted to.

Interfering with academics is BS. That is a football only excuse. I really think when Ivy schools hire a new President, one of the interview questions is, "What is your view on college football?" The answer better be some version of, it's out of control and needs to be de-emphasized as much as possible.

superman7515
October 11th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Here's some information, including some "milestones" that are often quoted by people as the reason fans don't come to the games anymore.

Delaware Attendance (regular season only):

1998 Offseason: Crackdown On Tailgating - 1998 Homecoming resulted in 23 cases of alcohol poisoning requiring EMS transport to the hospital, some patients as young as 18. The emergency room of the state's Level 1 trauma center was shut down due to the sudden influx of patients requiring immediate intervention (for all the jokes we make, people can and do die from alcohol poisoning) and the state threatened the school with the withholding of funds. Delaware moves up some game times to 12 noon to reduce the amount of time for drinking before games.

1999: 20,372 (Record 7-4)
2000: 21,154 (Record 12-2, made semifinals)

Delaware Enacts No Re-Entry Policy (also premium parking for those donating $1,000 or more) - Another attempt to reel in the excessive alcohol use

2001: ? If someone can find the 2001 numbers, let me know and I'll update, I was unable to find it (Record 4-6)

Coaching Change - Keeler Hired

2002: 20,258 (Record 6-6)
2003: 21,163 (Record 15-1, won NC)
2004: 22,280 (Record 9-4, made quarterfinals)
2005: 22,177 (Record 6-5)
2006: 21,825 avg (Record 5-6)

Parking Price Increase (50% per game from $10 to $15)

2007: 21,801 avg (Record 11-4, NC appearance)
2008: 21,609 avg (Record 4-8, worst season in UD football history)
2009: 20,750 avg (Record 6-5)
2010: 20,684 (Record 12-3, NC appearance)

UDAF Mandatory Donations Implemented

2011: 19,018 (Record 7-4)
2012: 18,541 (Record 5-6)

Coaching Change - Brock Hired

2013: 18,107 (Record 7-5)
2014: 14,241 (Record 3-2; obviously still in progress, this only includes the first three home games)

dgtw
October 11th, 2014, 12:41 PM
So why do the Ivies participate in every other NCAA postseason tournament?

bkrownd
October 11th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Delaware games aren't really that enjoyable to go to. They are football games and not really productions. All in all it just kind of feels old school. The college teams that are doing well have other things to entertain students than just football.

I just puked all over my keyboard. Anyone who is not at the game for old school football should NOT be at the game AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UNH Fanboi
October 11th, 2014, 01:42 PM
So why do the Ivies participate in every other NCAA postseason tournament?

Because the other tournaments are at the highest level. It is beneath the Ivies to play in the second tier and likely lose to Directional U in the first or second round.

UNH Fanboi
October 11th, 2014, 01:55 PM
That's not my point, LFN. My point is that the decline in attendance is beyond playoffs. It's a fact that the students --future alums-- don't care as much about football as they used to. If the Ivies participated in the playoffs and, for the sake of argument, regular season average attendance rose from 8,000 (or whatever) to 8,800, what difference does that make? Channeling my inner Hillary Clinton here. And we all know that playoff attendance is a joke.

There has been a general cultural change that is more pervasive than just football. Part of it is people being busier with working longer hours and BS extracurricular activities, but I think there is just much less sense of community than there used to be. Nowadays people just spend time with close friends and family in their houses rather than go out and mingle with other people. Also, everything has to be scheduled now. Kids don't just go to each other's houses and play--they schedule play dates.

JayJ79
October 11th, 2014, 02:02 PM
There has been a general cultural change that is more pervasive than just football. Part if is people being busier with working longer hours and BS extracurricular activities

what makes those extracurricular activities "BS"? wouldn't football fall into that category too?

Ivytalk
October 11th, 2014, 02:05 PM
There has been a general cultural change that is more pervasive than just football. Part if is people being busier with working longer hours and BS extracurricular activities, but I think there is just much less sense of community than there used to be. Nowadays people just spend time with close friends and family in their houses than go out and mingle with other people.

You may be right about that, fanboi. It was heartwarming to see the big crowd at our local high school's homecoming on a rainy night last night. The community is not prosperous, but it supports the school athletic teams.

UNH Fanboi
October 11th, 2014, 02:06 PM
what makes those extracurricular activities "BS"? wouldn't football fall into that category too?

I don't think any particular activity is BS, but I think there has been a general trend of people doing things just for the sake of staying busy and putting stuff on their college resume.

superman7515
October 11th, 2014, 08:10 PM
Perhaps the media sharks are starting to circle...

http://www.newarkpostonline.com/sports/college/article_487d4de9-b202-5195-ae40-7163e66ed4fe.html

NEWARK, Del. — At Monday’s weekly football press luncheon, UD head coach Dave Brock was asked if there was anything he could tell the UD supporters that might help restore the faith in a fan base that appears to be slowly becoming unfaithful.

He was adamant in his response: “Words are not worth a whole lot. You have to put a product on the field that people have value in. We didn’t do that [against Sacred Heart].”

The Hens won Saturday, defeating CAA-newcomer Elon 34-24 in front of a season-high crowd of 19,476 on hand to celebrate Parents and Family Weekend.

Unfortunately, at least a quarter, if not more, of that crowd won’t step foot onto campus again until move-out day at the end of the fall semester. But for the rest of the fans forced to sit through last week’s 10-7 loss — which snapped a 22-game win streak at home against nonconference opponents — Saturday’s win was like putting in for a par on the 18th green after a bad round – you come back for more.

Of course, you have to be willing to ignore the fact that Elon is now 1-5 and until today had not scored more than 20 points in any of its games....

BlueHenSinfonian
October 11th, 2014, 08:28 PM
winning wont move the interest meter much at all if anything, and the AD Zaidy makes a mock reference to a student gazing into his/her smart phone, geez I can do that.... despite all the fancy talk about re invigorating the UD football fan base, they have no plan and have basically given up and said "it is what it is", despite all that Carib will be tuned in yet again for another lack luster Saturday..

Has there ever been a dominant program with an attendance problem? You look at NDSU, Montana, GA Southern (when they were FCS), App State (when they were FCS), Youngstown State when they were on a tear, etc, and they had no problems packing the fans in, and neither did we when things on the field were on the up and up.

Sure, there are more distractions these days, but putting together a consistently winning product on the field will bring people back. The women's basketball team was selling out games during EDDs last couple of seasons. If a dominant team can pack the house for women's BB, it can do it for football.

BlueHenSinfonian
October 11th, 2014, 08:31 PM
I just puked all over my keyboard. Anyone who is not at the game for old school football should NOT be at the game AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree. I'm not a fan of the video board and the piped in music. I like the fact that Delaware Stadium doesn't have enclosed luxury boxes (the BCC club excepted), fancy chairback seats, or other frivolity.

There are enough people in the area to pack the stadium for traditional hard nosed football. The program just needs to finish rebuilding and start dominating the conference and the league again to build up the buzz and the house will be packed.

Sader87
October 11th, 2014, 08:32 PM
The 1987 HC football team didn't have great attendance. Not bad, but I doubt we averaged ovah 15K or so. No BC home game that year either.

Apples and oranges to a degree....private school, small student body etc.

HailSzczur
October 11th, 2014, 08:44 PM
Has there ever been a dominant program with an attendance problem? You look at NDSU, Montana, GA Southern (when they were FCS), App State (when they were FCS), Youngstown State when they were on a tear, etc, and they had no problems packing the fans in, and neither did we when things on the field were on the up and up.

Sure, there are more distractions these days, but putting together a consistently winning product on the field will bring people back. The women's basketball team was selling out games during EDDs last couple of seasons. If a dominant team can pack the house for women's BB, it can do it for football.

Why'd you leave Villanova off that list? :D

Honestly, I hate seeing Delaware have attendance/program issues like this. Delaware was my first and one of my only real college football experiences (Maryland definitely, JMU sure, but not UPenn, Temple or Stony Brook). I have so many great memories of what college football should be like from going to a game at the Tub every other year. The tailgating, the size, the fans, the band, all of it was and still is to an extent enthralling. One of my earliest college football memories was my first game there back in 2000 as a 7 year old, even though we lost. Can't get down for the game this year, but I hope the game day experience picks back up a bit for the next time I'm down there in 2 years.

IBleedYellow
October 11th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Sucks seeing a traditionally good FCS school just drop away into mediocrity. :(

Go Green
October 11th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Have to admit I never understood why the Ivies never wanted to compete for national championships..

The rationales have evolved from the following:

1) We didn't want to support segregation by playing in bowls in the south.

2) We didn't want to support the abuses of big-time football.

3) We didn't want to support missed class time.

4) We have a strong tradition of not being in the post-season.

KnightoftheRedFlash
October 11th, 2014, 09:52 PM
I really think it's a generational thing, Hoya. Harvard puts a much better product on the field now than it did 50 years ago, and it has a more national student body, but the younger generation just isn't that much into football. Current student attendance is down almost everywhere, because other things compete for the undergrads' time. The Internet is just one of those things. UD isn't alone in this. And for all the crap that Harvard and other Ivies take about their OOC schedules, bringing Army or Northwestern or Duke to Harvard Stadium wouldn't put more butts in the seats.

And those FBS teams aren't traveling to Cambridge unless there is a possible anniversary of a stadium.

CHIP72
October 12th, 2014, 06:59 AM
I don't think it's all win and they will all come back though. Sure, ipso facto, winning teams will draw more than losing teams do but I don't think you'll see as "big" of crowds moving forward at either FCS or FBS games in general as you did in decades past.

Different world in so many ways: technologically, sociologically etc. than it was even 15-20 years ago. We posters here are sort of the "exception" rather than the rule at many FCS schools....the draw of a Saturday college football game doesn't have anywhere near as strong of a pull that it once did.

The NFL is going to run into this soon too I predict.

I don't entirely agree with this. The NFL probably will run into some of those issues, but one of the big differences between the NFL and college football is that in most cases attending an NFL game is a much more comfortable experience than attending a college football game. Many people, especially younger people, don't really care to sit on backless bleachers for 3+ hours, especially if they are going to be paying significant money for the "privilege" to do so. There's also the increasing perception as we become more and more connected media-wise (including the internet and social media) and regional differences in the U.S. become less and less distinct that some people think why should I invest in an amateur, non-top of the line product when I can easily watch the very top players play on my TV, computer, or smartphone?

A couple things that both college football and the NFL will increasingly have issues with are 1) length of games (and by definition more inaction during games) and 2) the cost of attending games. Both of these factors make attending games in person less attractive for many people.

Sitting Bull
October 12th, 2014, 08:38 AM
19,476 reported, near capacity, for yesterday's game vs Elon.

DFW HOYA
October 12th, 2014, 08:55 AM
The rationales have evolved from the following:

1) We didn't want to support segregation by playing in bowls in the south.

2) We didn't want to support the abuses of big-time football.

3) We didn't want to support missed class time.

4) We have a strong tradition of not being in the post-season.

Real reason:

5) Harvard and Yale don't want their "Game" to be minimized and the other six Ivy presidents won't stand up to them.

superman7515
October 12th, 2014, 09:53 AM
Added some additional info that I got (thanks JD) and included yesterday's attendance from Parent's Weekend...

Here's some information, including some "milestones" that are often quoted by people as the reason fans don't come to the games anymore.

Delaware Attendance (regular season only):

1998 Offseason: Crackdown On Tailgating - 1998 Homecoming resulted in 23 cases of alcohol poisoning requiring EMS transport to the hospital, some patients as young as 18. The emergency room of the state's Level 1 trauma center was shut down due to the sudden influx of patients requiring immediate intervention (for all the jokes we make, people can and do die from alcohol poisoning) and the state threatened the school with the withholding of funds. Delaware moves up some game times to 12 noon to reduce the amount of time for drinking before games.

1999: 20,372 (Record 7-4)
2000: 21,154 (Record 12-2, made semifinals)

Delaware Enacts No Re-Entry Policy (also premium parking for those donating $1,000 or more) - Another attempt to reel in the excessive alcohol use

2001: 20,504 (Record 4-6)

Coaching Change - Keeler Hired

2002: 20,258 (Record 6-6)
2003: 21,163 (Record 15-1, won NC)
2004: 22,280 (Record 9-4, made quarterfinals)
2005: 22,177 (Record 6-5)
2006: 21,825 avg (Record 5-6)

Parking Price Increase (50% per game from $10 to $15)

2007: 21,801 avg (Record 11-4, NC appearance)
2008: 21,609 avg (Record 4-8, worst season in UD football history)

Parking Donations Required - $100 donation required to purchase season parking passes

2009: 20,750 avg (Record 6-5)
2010: 20,684 (Record 12-3, NC appearance)

UDAF Mandatory Donations Implemented

2011: 19,018 (Record 7-4)
2012: 18,541 (Record 5-6)

Coaching Change - Brock Hired

2013: 18,107 (Record 7-5)
2014: 15,550 (Record 4-2; obviously still in progress, this only includes the first four home games)

Go Green
October 12th, 2014, 10:48 AM
Real reason:

5) Harvard and Yale don't want their "Game" to be minimized and the other six Ivy presidents won't stand up to them.

Your #5 and my #4 are different ways of basically the same thing. :)

Mattymc727
October 12th, 2014, 10:56 AM

Not sure if you can call it an attendance problem, but UNH over the last 10 years has been pretty dominant in the CAA and they did it basically without a stadium. I think UNH has averaged around 7-9k a year over their run. Nova is similar too.

Ivytalk
October 12th, 2014, 11:16 AM
And those FBS teams aren't traveling to Cambridge unless there is a possible anniversary of a stadium.

Well, the centennial year of Harvard Stadium was 2003, so they'll have to wait awhile.

bkrownd
October 12th, 2014, 11:57 AM
Not sure if you can call it an attendance problem, but UNH over the last 10 years has been pretty dominant in the CAA and they did it basically without a stadium. I think UNH has averaged around 7-9k a year over their run. Nova is similar too.

It's a New England thang. October is peak leaf-peeping and party seasons. November is rainy. I never went to rainy games after September, because cold rain and aluminum bleachers just do not mix well.

BisonFan02
October 12th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Mandatory UDAF donations and attendance plummets? Gee.....where am I starting to hear requests for a similar move?

DFW HOYA
October 12th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Mandatory UDAF donations and attendance plummets? Gee.....where am I starting to hear requests for a similar move?

Mandatory donations...Did that begin under the Muir administration or under Ziady?

superman7515
October 12th, 2014, 12:59 PM
Mandatory donations...Did that begin under the Muir administration or under Ziady?

It began under Muir. They were actually pretty happy with it at first. Season tickets dropped from 9,700 in 2010 to 7,950 in 2011, the year the mandatory UDAF donations were implemented, but the UDAF contributions increased from $1.2 million in 2010 to $1.5 million in 2011.

1,666 fewer fans per game and 1,750 fewer season ticket holders, but a $300k increase in donations.

jmufan999
October 12th, 2014, 01:06 PM

appreciate the shout out, but sadly, we have the same issue. attendance is down somewhat (our "announced" attendance is sketchy in my opinion) and many people leave at halftime.

MR. CHICKEN
October 12th, 2014, 01:52 PM
19832.......ANNOUNCED ATTENDANCE....IS ACTUAL TICKETS SOLD...WETHER YA SHOW UP OR NOT.......THE TURNSTILES AT UD..AREN'T COUNTIN'......BODIES.....SO WHEN THEY CLAIM 20,000...THE ACTUAL EGG-HOLES IN DUH STANDS COOD...BE WAY LESS.....HOWEVERAH 20,000 PAID.........AT YOU-DEE.......IFIN' YA WANT TA KEEP YER SEATS......WETHER YA PLAN TA ATTEND OR NOT......SEASON TICKET HOLDERS PAY FO' 'EM & AFF-LETIC FUND RANSOM......OR POSSIBLE TO LOSE YER SECTION/ROW/SEAT.......SO IN YEARS WE BAD......BUY 'EM AN' DON'T GO....KEEP YER SEATS....SO WHEN WE GOOD......YA KEEP YER LOCATION.......AWK!

Big Dawg
October 12th, 2014, 02:03 PM
We're facing the same problem in Tallahassee. FAMU's stadium used to be packed, but this year is probably the worst year for attendance for us in decades...this was also the first season in history that we've started 0-5(now 1-5)

Lehigh Football Nation
October 12th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Added some additional info that I got (thanks JD) and included yesterday's attendance from Parent's Weekend...

It's pretty comprehensive, but to me I see this pretty clearly:

2001-2010 Delaware above-average with the occasional FCS NCG run. Average attendance 20,000ish.

2011-now, Delaware tried to hold fans hostage for more donations and Delaware got mired in mediocrity on the field. Average about 18,000 instead.

This problem is hardly unique to Delaware. Look at how Tennessee has fallen since they've gone to mediocrity.