PDA

View Full Version : Toreros Possible Playoff Prediction Probability...

Torero Tradition
November 6th, 2006, 04:58 PM
It's looking like a 75.8% chance of the Toreros making it into the big show. The I-AA playoffs. :D Toreros will be pulling for NDSU over Cal Poly and the Griz over UNC and MSU to help increase those chances.

Winners of 17 straight, and 25 of their last 26 games, the Toreros also stayed at No. 15 in this week's College Sporting News (CSN) Coaches Poll, and No. 13 in Don Hansen's Football Weekly Gazette Top-40 Poll. USD remains at 95th in this week's Sagarin Power Ratings for all I-A and I-AA programs, including 10th for I-AA programs.

TOREROS ON TV THIS SATURDAY
USD will put its No. 1 mid-major ranking and 17-game winning streak on the line this Saturday when they host the Dayton Flyers (1-5 PFL; 4-5) in a 6:05 p.m. contest that will air live on Channel 4 San Diego (Steve Quis & Ted Tollner).

A win Saturday would set a new USD record for best start to a season with 10 straight wins. The Toreros tied the current mark of 9 straight wins (1981 club) with last Saturday's win at Jacksonville. USD's 17-game winning streak is only matched by Ohio State among all I-A and I-AA programs, and its 18-game home winning streak is second only to Appalachian State (W24) among I-AA programs. The Toreros have also won 15 straight PFL contests.

Following Saturday's home game with Dayton, USD will have a bye on Nov. 18th. The Toreros will find out on Sunday, November 19th, whether they are selected to the 16-team NCAA I-AA playoffs. The announcement and bracket will be announced at approximately 1:00 p.m. (ET) on ESPNews. First round play for the play-offs begins on November 25th. Should USD not be selected, they would play at UC Davis on Nov. 25th, and represent the PFL in the Gridiron Classic on December 2nd at the site of the Northeast Champion.

PLAYOFF RESUME... UNDEFEATED with a win over Dayton and currently the USD Toreros are Top-10 in 18 different I-AA statistics, including 10 areas where they are either #1 or #2. USD ranks...
1st in total offense (500.13 yards per game);
1st in scoring offense (44.89 ppg);
1st in 3rd down efficiency (62.1%);
1st in scoring defense (10.8 ppg);
1st in turnovers lost (6);
1st in punt return yardage defense (0.25 ypg);
1st in pass efficiency defense (86.74 rating);
2nd in passing efficiency (177.26 rating);
2nd in passes had intercepted (2);
2nd in passing offense (295.0 ypg);
3rd in turnover margin (+1.22);
4th in fumbles lost (3);
5th in tackles for loss allowed (3.67);
7th in kickoff returns (24.27 yards per return);
8th in total defense (254.56 ypg);
9th in passes intercepted (13);
and 10th in net punting (35.33).

WHERE WILL USD BE IN THE GPI THIS WEEK?!?!?!?!?

Josh Johnson, USD's outstanding junior quarterback, earned his 5th PFL Player of the Week honor after setting a school-record with 470 yards of total offense in the team's PFL clinching victory at Jacksonville. Johnson put together the second-best single-game offensive performance in I-AA this season. He completed 30-of-43 passes for 384 yards and four touchdowns, and tacked on 86 yards rushing on 11 carries. Johnson's effort ranked second in single-game total offense, fourth in single-game passing yardage and 13th in single-game pass completions among all I-AA players in 2006. It also marked his 5th four-touchdown performance this season. The "Payton Watch" candidate continues to rank nationally in six I-AA statistical categories - 1st in points responsible for (24.89 ppg); 1st in total offense (334.2 ypg); 2nd in passing efficiency (176.3 rating); 3rd in total passing yards (2,480); 3rd in passing yards per game (275.56); and 10th in passing (20.33 completions per game). He is now 20-1 as a starter calling the Torero signals.

PAINT IT BLUE, TORERO BLUE!

THE BUZZ AROUND CAMPUS IS GETTING LOUD.... TOREROS EXCITED FOR THE PLAYOFFS!

shakdaddy3
November 6th, 2006, 04:59 PM
75.8% chance? how so?

Torero Tradition
November 6th, 2006, 05:01 PM
75.8% chance? how so?

I took a poll of random I-AA fans who had knowledge about what teams would be selected xlolx :rotateh: xlolx :rotateh: :nod: :nod: :D xlolx xlolx :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :eek:

OL FU
November 6th, 2006, 05:05 PM
I am beginning to want San Diego to make it. Only one way to find out:)

Guard Dawg
November 6th, 2006, 05:08 PM
If San Diego DOES INFACT MAKE IT IN, this years I-AA selection committee will be the biggest joke of all time.

shakdaddy3
November 6th, 2006, 05:08 PM
I took a poll of random I-AA fans who had knowledge about what teams would be selected
so you mean the 60.36% of fans [111 fans] in this thread that said neither you nor CSU would make the playoffs could be used?: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16086

Torero Tradition
November 6th, 2006, 05:10 PM
The unofficial poll of AGS has San Diego at about a 20% chance to make it in, that was based after the game from a week ago (before Jacksonville game)

San Diego was #10 in the GPI a week ago as well...

shakdaddy3
November 6th, 2006, 05:12 PM
The unofficial poll of AGS has San Diego at about a 20% chance to make it in, that was based after the game from a week ago (before Jacksonville game)

San Diego was #10 in the GPI a week ago as well...
so why the lie of 75.8% chance? sounds like USD propaganda to me...

nova @ #4 in the GPI didn't get picked before... GPI indicates, does not dictate

th0m
November 6th, 2006, 05:15 PM
With the Gateway and A-10 not giving 4 each as was projected earlier, but likely 5-6 combined, this opens up spots, especially if you look at the off years in the Patriot, SLC and even the Socon. Big Sky isn't doing too hot either.

Whether one of the coveted spots will be given to San Diego...only time will tell.

Torero Tradition
November 6th, 2006, 05:15 PM
There is at least a 75.8% chance of getting selected when you are ranked that high in the GPI based on past years performances of the GPI. :) I then used another formula taking into account the thoughts of AGS members as well as past Committee selection performance.

NOVA wasn't undefeated when they didn't get picked, either was UMASS or Wofford.

shakdaddy3
November 6th, 2006, 05:18 PM
There is at least a 75.8% chance of getting selected when you are ranked that high in the GPI based on past years performances of the GPI. :) I then used another formula taking into account the thoughts of AGS members as well as past Committee selection performance.

NOVA wasn't undefeated when they didn't get picked, either was UMASS or Wofford.
are your formulas like the sagarin ratings? if so, then they need to be thrown out...

please, i want to know where you really got that # from... give me the empirical evidence of a 75.8% chance of you guys making the playoffs... otherwise, please stop posting complete BS threads that do nothing but make people either hate you more or people that want to see your asses get handed to you on a silver platter with a torero head on it...

Torero Tradition
November 6th, 2006, 05:23 PM
The formula is not yet statistically significant and can't be proven to 100% based on the human factor of the I-AA selection committee. What I can tell you about the formula is that it takes into account GPI indicated fields and the teams that have been left out before, it also takes into account the unofficial polls that have been done on AGS in regards to San Diego making the playoffs. For those that hate San Diego you have about a 24.2percent chance that we will not make it... so cling to that :) In addition, the complete formula is like the regional rankings... it doesn't do a lot of good for the general public to know.

shakdaddy3
November 6th, 2006, 05:25 PM
The formula is not yet statistically significant and can't be proven to 100% based on the human factor of the I-AA selection committee. What I can tell you about the formula is that it takes into account GPI indicated fields and the teams that have been left out before, it also takes into account the unofficial polls that have been done on AGS in regards to San Diego making the playoffs. For those that hate San Diego you have about a 24.2percent chance that we will not make it... so cling to that :) In addition, the complete formula is like the regional rankings... it doesn't do a lot of good for the general public to know.
ok, just checking.. it's a made up number... congrats on that xidiotx

according to my findings, there is a 99% chance that USD won't make the playoffs with a +/- 1% human error factor...

Maverick
November 6th, 2006, 05:26 PM
All of that is well and good for your entertainment, but the single fact that is USD does not have a schedule worthy of playoff participation, no matter how many wins, win streaks, national rankings, statistical category rankings, etc. No matter how often it has been ignored or glossed over, the single fatal flaw for USD is the schedule that was set by the coach and AD.

Good luck against UCD and in the Gridiron Classic!!

Better schedules will lead to a realistic chance to be selected. And, you better hurry before your coach jumps ship to another school (which will probably be very soon!).

Torero Tradition
November 6th, 2006, 05:28 PM
The GPI is usually off by about one team every year in regards to the selection of at large teams in the playoff field. As of last week USD was indicated by the GPI to be in the field (ranked at #10), meaning they have about an 87.5% chance of actually being selected.

Torero Tradition
November 6th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Saragin takes into account strength of schedule... USD is currently ranked at #10 for all I-AA teams... the GPI also takes many factors into consideration and USD was in the top 10 as of last week....

shakdaddy3
November 6th, 2006, 05:30 PM
doubt it ;)

youwouldno
November 6th, 2006, 05:39 PM
I think the chances USD makes it are 10-20%, max. They would have the weakest schedule of any team ever admitted into the I-AA playoffs, and when you consider they would be an at-large selection, it would be by a large margin.

Torero Tradition
November 6th, 2006, 05:44 PM
This seems to be a strange year in I-AA football... maybe USD will set a few more records... adding the playoffs to their resume as an at-large selection

Eaglegus2
November 6th, 2006, 05:44 PM

Wake up Dorothy!!!!!!! Todo has left your arse in OZ.

Remember.......there is no place like home, there is no place like home for the playoffs because you haven't played any competion that gives you creditability.

Guard Dawg
November 6th, 2006, 05:49 PM
USD fans, please don't bring up the fact you beat a top 25 team in the GPI, Yale. they are from a weak conference as well, and i don't care that Yale is in first... they are a cupcake like your schedule. Go back to cupcake land and eat frosting you sugar coaters.

Peems
November 6th, 2006, 05:52 PM
so if USD makes it, who do you think they are gonna play?

shakdaddy3
November 6th, 2006, 05:58 PM
so if USD makes it, who do you think they are gonna play?
i would imagine they would play AT one of the top 2 seeds... then again, i imagine a sane world in which USD does not make it...

Torero Tradition
November 6th, 2006, 05:58 PM
If UM wins out I am 100% certain it will be the Grizzlies at high noon.
Do you want to play us? Would you rather we get sent to Appy State?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 6th, 2006, 06:02 PM
USD fans, please don't bring up the fact you beat a top 25 team in the GPI, Yale. they are from a weak conference as well, and i don't care that Yale is in first... they are a cupcake like your schedule. Go back to cupcake land and eat frosting you sugar coaters.

The Ivy League is not a weak conference. Anyone who follows the Ivy or sees them play knows that USD's margin of victory over Yale is impressive. I really wish the Ivy League had an auto bid into the playoffs because i think H-Y or P would give someone a real battle and could probably beat 5 or 6 teams that will be in the field of 16. Yale might finish 7-3 with games against Harvard and Princeton which might take some luster of the USD win. Either way Yale is better than any team in the bottom 3rd of the power conferences, even the A-10.

shakdaddy3
November 6th, 2006, 06:06 PM
The Ivy League is not a weak conference. Anyone who follows the Ivy or sees them play knows that USD's margin of victory over Yale is impressive. I really wish the Ivy League had an auto bid into the playoffs because i think H-Y or P would give someone a real battle and could probably beat 5 or 6 teams that will be in the field of 16. Yale might finish 7-3 with games against Harvard and Princeton which might take some luster of the USD win. Either way Yale is better than any team in the bottom 3rd of the power conferences, even the A-10.
um... no.. yale would have a tough enough time against INSU or Mizz St, let alone western illinois... and of course, they would be nothing against WKU, ILSU, UNI, YSU, or SIU... i'm should that bottom A10 teams would doo well against Yale.. boo hoo, play tougher teams if you want credibility...

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 6th, 2006, 06:09 PM
um... no.. yale would have a tough enough time against INSU or Mizz St, let alone western illinois... and of course, they would be nothing against WKU, ILSU, UNI, YSU, or SIU... i'm should that bottom A10 teams would doo well against Yale.. boo hoo, play tougher teams if you want credibility...

Yale could beat Villanova, Northeastern, URI, Hoftstra and William & Mary. Penn, who is 5-3 and lost to Yale, lost to 'Nova 27-20. Villanova is a middle of the road A-10 team .

Maverick
November 6th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Saragin takes into account strength of schedule... USD is currently ranked at #10 for all I-AA teams... the GPI also takes many factors into consideration and USD was in the top 10 as of last week....

Is that the same Sagarin who ranks the USD schedule at 231 out of 241 teams? Sagarin has Charleston Southern at 225 out of 241. Neither team should even be considered playoff worthy (even if they are "eligible" under NCAA criteria) with that type of ranking.

PS: Do you know that Sagarin takes the SOS into consideration, or does he actually just figure out the SOS and rank that separately?

JohnStOnge
November 6th, 2006, 06:11 PM
PLAYOFF RESUME... UNDEFEATED with a win over Dayton and currently the USD Toreros are Top-10 in 18 different I-AA statistics, including 10 areas where they are either #1 or #2. USD ranks...
4th in fumbles lost (3);

If you've seen my previous posts on the San Diego issue you know that I'd like to see them get into the playoffs to see how they'd do. But, c'mon. Why even post that kind of stuff? We all know there's no way they'd be ranked like that in all those things if they'd played...say...a Gateway or A-10 schedule.

JohnStOnge
November 6th, 2006, 06:12 PM
um... no.. yale would have a tough enough time against INSU or Mizz St, let alone western illinois... and of course, they would be nothing against WKU, ILSU, UNI, YSU, or SIU... i'm should that bottom A10 teams would doo well against Yale..

On the other side, in fairness, we really dont' know that.

shakdaddy3
November 6th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Yale could beat Villanova, Northeastern, URI, Hoftstra and William & Mary. Penn, who is 5-3 and lost to Yale, lost to 'Nova 27-20. Villanova is a middle of the road A-10 team .
so, yale beat a team by 3 that lost to a middle of the road A-10 team by 7...

wouldnt it be grand if the transitive theory of math was actually relatable to football?

JohnStOnge
November 6th, 2006, 06:14 PM

I could be proven wrong...but I don't think USD wants to play at either of those places in the first round. I think playing at either of those places carries the risk of getting a serious ego check.

Especially Montana. Some very, very good I-AA teams have been humiliated the tune of scores like 70 - 14 at Montana in the playoffs.

JohnStOnge
November 6th, 2006, 06:19 PM

wouldnt it be grand if the transitive theory of math was actually relatable to football?

Ok. Next year I really need to set up something to test you guys who doubt power ratings like Sagarin's to see if you can do better.

I've done that before on the I-A level. I've challened a talk show host who ridiculed Sagarin when I used it to discuss the strength of conferences. So the next year I randomly selected 60 I-A games involving major teams...the reason being to give him the benefit of the doubt by picking teams he knew about.

Then I called him each week when the games came up and asked him who would win, how much they would win by, etc. Sagarin's system beat him on both counts...correctly picking winners a higher percentage of the time and coming closer to the actual point spread than he did.

Next year, I'm going to do that with people on this board. And I invite you to participate.

UMass922
November 6th, 2006, 06:39 PM
The GPI is usually off by about one team every year in regards to the selection of at large teams in the playoff field. As of last week USD was indicated by the GPI to be in the field (ranked at #10), meaning they have about an 87.5% chance of actually being selected.

I would say it's more like they have a 99% chance of being that one team that the GPI gets wrong. No playoffs for the Toreros.

Peems
November 6th, 2006, 06:40 PM

no i would be more than happy for you to come to missoula in the middle of november. lets just say we would play with handcuffs and blindfolds.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 6th, 2006, 07:36 PM

Didn't i say they could? Based on how the two teams have performed this year i have to believe they could. Never said they would, just that they could. 5-4 Lehigh beat 'Nova at 'Nova this year. Lehigh lost to all 3 of their Ivy opponents this year, Yale, Princeton, Harvard.

AppGuy04
November 6th, 2006, 07:42 PM
This is the dumbest thread I have ever seen

grizband
November 6th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Dumber that the rest...?:bang:

AppGuy04
November 6th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Dumber that the rest...?:bang:

Made up probabilities, yes, dumber than the rest:bang: :nonono2:

Torero Tradition
November 6th, 2006, 08:48 PM
None of these numbers are made up...

Winners of 17 straight, and 25 of their last 26 games, the Toreros also stayed at No. 15 in this week's College Sporting News (CSN) Coaches Poll, and No. 13 in Don Hansen's Football Weekly Gazette Top-40 Poll. USD remains at 95th in this week's Sagarin Power Ratings for all I-A and I-AA programs, including 10th for I-AA programs.

USD will put its No. 1 mid-major ranking and 17-game winning streak on the line this Saturday when they host the Dayton Flyers (1-5 PFL; 4-5) in a 6:05 p.m. contest that will air live on Channel 4 San Diego (Steve Quis & Ted Tollner).

A win Saturday would set a new USD record for best start to a season with 10 straight wins. The Toreros tied the current mark of 9 straight wins (1981 club) with last Saturday's win at Jacksonville. USD's 17-game winning streak is only matched by Ohio State among all I-A and I-AA programs, and its 18-game home winning streak is second only to Appalachian State (W24) among I-AA programs. The Toreros have also won 15 straight PFL contests.

Following Saturday's home game with Dayton, USD will have a bye on Nov. 18th. The Toreros will find out on Sunday, November 19th, whether they are selected to the 16-team NCAA I-AA playoffs. The announcement and bracket will be announced at approximately 1:00 p.m. (ET) on ESPNews. First round play for the play-offs begins on November 25th. Should USD not be selected, they would play at UC Davis on Nov. 25th, and represent the PFL in the Gridiron Classic on December 2nd at the site of the Northeast Champion.

4th in fumbles lost (3);

Josh Johnson, USD's outstanding junior quarterback, earned his 5th PFL Player of the Week honor after setting a school-record with 470 yards of total offense in the team's PFL clinching victory at Jacksonville. Johnson put together the second-best single-game offensive performance in I-AA this season. He completed 30-of-43 passes for 384 yards and four touchdowns, and tacked on 86 yards rushing on 11 carries. Johnson's effort ranked second in single-game total offense, fourth in single-game passing yardage and 13th in single-game pass completions among all I-AA players in 2006. It also marked his 5th four-touchdown performance this season. The "Payton Watch" candidate continues to rank nationally in six I-AA statistical categories - 1st in points responsible for (24.89 ppg); 1st in total offense (334.2 ypg); 2nd in passing efficiency (176.3 rating); 3rd in total passing yards (2,480); 3rd in passing yards per game (275.56); and 10th in passing (20.33 completions per game). He is now 20-1 as a starter calling the Torero signals.

GOTOREROS
November 6th, 2006, 08:56 PM

4th in fumbles lost (3);

Great job ToreroTradition! Thanks for all those stats - even I learned some things about USD!

AppGuy04
November 6th, 2006, 08:57 PM
You are right, but they can easily be picked apart by 2 words: cupcake schedule

I think about half the teams in I-AA would have those numbers with your schedule, so that ain't saying much.

placidlakegriz
November 6th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Great job ToreroTradition! Thanks for all those stats - even I learned some things about USD!

Me to! If you have a cupcake schedule you can pad your stats!!!!!

Pard4Life
November 6th, 2006, 09:15 PM

4th in fumbles lost (3);

As supreme record keeper and sports statistician, I decree that ALL San Diego's statistics this season be followed by a *.

Yes folks, the damning * you all fear.

In this case * means 'padded' statistics... compiled after playing cupcake teams, DII opponents, and conference foes that lose to Division II teams regularly.

And yeah I had to double-take... San Diego in the same snetence as Ohio St. xlolx xlolx :rotateh:

Torero Tradition
November 6th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Please Check Saragin Rankings as well as GPI... how does San Diego get ranked so high and apparently "suck" ???? (even with that schedule?)

Torero Tradition
November 6th, 2006, 10:02 PM
I know a lot of teams who don't think Yale is a cupcake...

Peems
November 6th, 2006, 10:06 PM

thats classic.

cosmo here
November 6th, 2006, 10:07 PM

you played eight other games, can you focus on them 8/9ths of the time please

Torero Tradition
November 6th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Ask Lehigh fans what they think of the IVY league... please do tell

cosmo here
November 6th, 2006, 10:35 PM

yeah, they're good, especially when you play four of them along with a Patriot League schedule.

I think you already know what I think of the PFL and your nonleague schedule, you don't have to ask.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 6th, 2006, 10:37 PM

The Ivy League is very good. If their stupid administrations would just allow them to be the playoffs they would represent themselves very very well and i think in time could actually win a title. They recruit head to head with a ton of 1-A schools and get the ones who are more serious at looking at life without football. Harvard of '04 and JMU would have been an unbelievable game IMO. I think the PL, NEC, A-10 fans of the northeast are starting to buy into the Ivy League a little more these past couple of years.

I don't people are realizing how tough Lehigh and Lafayettes OOC schedules were. #18 Harvard, #28 Yale, #21 Princeton and Penn who the Pards played are all really good. Lehigh, Lafayette and Colgate always play the good Ivy's, the above mentioned. I wish the Ivy's would atleast play some of the mid level teams from the power conferences so the word can get out. I think from an educational standpoint Wofford, Furman, William & Mary, and Richmond would be a good place to start. Isn't Princeton playing Hampton or someone from the MEAC in the next year or 2.

BisonBacker
November 6th, 2006, 10:38 PM

Amen to that, What a joke of a schedule. If they get to the playoffs look for many IAA's to try to duplicate that cupcake schedule to try to make it to the playoffs. Could anyone duplicate that kind of a schedule? I mean really you have to really really work hard to conjure up a schedule like that. Its embarassing. I just hope that UCDavis gets that game with them and knocks that ego down to where it belongs. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Torero Tradition
November 6th, 2006, 10:42 PM
The Ivy League is very good. If their stupid administrations would just allow them to be the playoffs they would represent themselves very very well and i think in time could actually win a title. They recruit head to head with a ton of 1-A schools and get the ones who are more serious at looking at life without football. Harvard of '04 and JMU would have been an unbelievable game IMO. I think the PL, NEC, A-10 fans of the northeast are starting to buy into the Ivy League a little more these past couple of years.

Wow! :bow: So the IVY's could compete in the playoffs if allowed, San Diego could be allowed but yet they couldn't compete? So many double standards on this board. If San Diego beats an IVY it isn't a big deal, but if a Lehigh loses to 4 of them, it's not big deal either.

Torero Tradition
November 6th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Until San Diego moves to another conference, there really isn't anything they can do about their conference schedule. Yes... they had some weak games in the OOC schedule... i think most agree... but YALE isn't a cupcake and people should quit lumping them into that category. Truth be told, USD proved they belonged on that day.

cosmo here
November 6th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Wow! :bow: So the IVY's could compete in the playoffs if allowed, San Diego could be allowed but yet they couldn't compete? So many double standards on this board. If San Diego beats an IVY it isn't a big deal, but if a Lehigh loses to 4 of them, it's not big deal either.

Lehigh's record against the Ivy League over the last 10 seasons has been exceptional - like 80 percent or better. Let us know when you play more than one quality team in a season.

it's better to love and lose, than to never love at all :)

cosmo here
November 6th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Until San Diego moves to another conference, there really isn't anything they can do about their conference schedule. Yes... they had some weak games in the OOC schedule... i think most agree... but YALE isn't a cupcake and people should quit lumping them into that category. Truth be told, USD proved they belonged on that day.

again, Yale is one of nine teams that you've played so far. yet you spend 8/9ths of your time on Yale, the other 1/9th on how you can't change your conference schedule. :rolleyes:

Torero Tradition
November 6th, 2006, 10:47 PM
It's better to be in the playoffs than to never be in the playoffs at all :)

Torero Tradition
November 6th, 2006, 10:48 PM
again, Yale is one of nine teams that you've played so far. yet you spend 8/9ths of your time on Yale, the other 1/9th on how you can't change your conference schedule. :rolleyes:

Um, the other 8/9th's of the schedule experienced the same thing Yale did... what more can we say about the other 8/9ths of the schedule? San Diego is 10th in the GPI from last week and 10th for I-AA teams in the Saragin. They are in the Top 25 in all polls. PLAYOFF MATERIAL... i think so....

Mike Johnson
November 6th, 2006, 10:57 PM
If San Diego DOES INFACT MAKE IT IN, this years I-AA selection committee will be the biggest joke of all time.

No, not the biggest joke of all time. That must be reserved to all the posters who claim a team with the stats, record, and rankings to be a legitimate playoff contender has no chance to make it because they don't play in an elite conference.

Montana better not be overlooking them if they get in.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 6th, 2006, 10:58 PM
The only thing i can relate San Deigo to is if a team in the Sun Belt that crushed a team like Bosie State (Yale) and killed a bunch of MAC and sunbelt teams to go undefeated and want a chance for the BSC. They might very well be a great team but is there enough substantial game evidence to show they are better than a second or third place team from the SEC. I do feel bad for USD cause there's nothing you can do about it.

Torero Tradition
November 6th, 2006, 11:01 PM
No, not the biggest joke of all time. That must be reserved to all the posters who claim a team with the stats, record, and rankings to be a legitimate playoff contender has no chance to make it because they don't play in an elite conference.

Montana better not be overlooking them if they get in.

Mike, thanks for posting.... that thought process is clearly the minority on the board. That's why i keep bringing it up, how is it not possible that USD get in with all that info... ESPECIALLY a year in which there may be many 4 loss teams etc. The USD quarterback is also a Payton Candidate. USD will have many players up for post season awards. I just can't beleive that all these people think USD is a pushover... i think it is just frustration over the fact USD may get in, and their team might not.

GoAgs72
November 6th, 2006, 11:02 PM
UC Davis is only 4-5 for the season. Should be another cupcake team for the Torero steamroller since SOS doesn't matter.

Torero Tradition
November 6th, 2006, 11:04 PM
The only thing i can relate San Deigo to is if a team in the Sun Belt that crushed a team like Bosie State (Yale) and killed a bunch of MAC and sunbelt teams to go undefeated and want a chance for the BSC. They might very well be a great team but is there enough substantial game evidence to show they are better than a second or third place team from the SEC. I do feel bad for USD cause there's nothing you can do about it.

If a team is ranked in the top 12, then they are mandated to get a shot in the BCS.... while I-AA doesn't have the same guidelines, USD is ranked 10 in the GPI, clearly playoff indicated... as well as being 10th in Saragin and in the top 20 in most if not all polls. USD will also be undefeated if they win this week on selection sunday. How many highly ranked, undefeated teams have never been selected to the playoffs.... ANSWER=NONE

Guard Dawg
November 6th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Who does USD play this weekend.... I AM A BIG FAN OF THEIRS! I MAY EVEN GO BUY A SHIRT AND CHEER THEM ON THIS WEEKEND... GO WHOEVER IS PLAY THE tOREOS.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 6th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Who does USD play this weekend.... I AM A BIG FAN OF THEIRS! I MAY EVEN GO BUY A SHIRT AND CHEER THEM ON THIS WEEKEND... GO WHOEVER IS PLAY THE tOREOS.

Dayton Flyers, a school people know a football team that flounders in obscurity.....

UMass922
November 6th, 2006, 11:28 PM
I just can't beleive that all these people think USD is a pushover.

Believing that USD should not be awarded an at-large berth to the playoffs is not the same as thinking they are a pushover. Personally, I don't think they're necessarily a pushover. I really don't know how good they are compared to the elite teams of I-AA. But what it comes down to is how USD's resume stacks up to those of other at-large contenders. And I don't think it stacks up very well. Who knows, they might very well be better than some of the teams that will get in ahead of them. But I don't think there's going to be enough evidence on the table to make it clear that that's true. All the committee can do is compare teams with each other, and the reality is that there are going to be a number of teams who will have earned the same number of D-I wins as San Diego (eight, assuming the Toreros win out) against much more challenging schedules. Selections must be made based on evidence, not on hype and speculation.

Torero Tradition
November 6th, 2006, 11:32 PM
When i look at most teams schedules, i see 1-3 cupcakes on them as well... Okay, let's look at the previous #6 team Cal Poly... great wins against Fort Lewis (who?) Savannah State (CPU better win, but who are they?) and then picking the bottom feeders of the Big Sky?

Torero Tradition
November 6th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Dayton Flyers, a school people know a football team that flounders in obscurity.....

Dayton was really good a few years back....

Guard Dawg
November 7th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Dayton didn't even sniff the playoffs.. either will USD

FargoBison
November 7th, 2006, 01:44 AM
Bob Biggs, one of I-AA's finest coaches weighs in on USD's playoff hopes...

"I don't think their schedule is strong enough to warrant them getting into the playoffs, there'd be too much of an uproar by the I-AA coaches everybody would try to schedule that kind of schedule to try to get in the playoffs."

Click for the link (http://www.californiaaggie.com/media/storage/paper981/news/2006/11/06/Sports/Heartbreak.At.Toomey.Field-2441203-page2.shtml?norewrite200611070243&sourcedomain=www.californiaaggie.com)

BisonBacker
November 7th, 2006, 08:43 AM
One game against a questionable opponnent and the rest of your games against clearly poor opponents does not make you a playoff team enuff said. You can be on here till the end of time and your not going to change anyone's opinion on that. You clearly have not proved you belong and should not get an at large bid with that kind of schedule. It's just wrong.

BisonBacker
November 7th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Dayton was really good a few years back....
that's laughable xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
High school teams don't count :D

Torero Tradition
November 7th, 2006, 10:10 AM
When you find teams laughable, you over look them... and ON ANY GIVEN SATURDAY you never know. I sure hope USD isn't overlooking Dayton.

Black and Gold Express
November 7th, 2006, 10:28 AM
It's looking like a 75.8% chance of the Toreros making it into the big show. The I-AA playoffs. :D

Coach Harbaugh, is that you?? xlolx

DukesR4Real
November 7th, 2006, 11:13 AM
It might not be coach harbaugh himself, but someone who is drunk just like harbaugh

Torero Tradition
November 7th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Please explain why San Diego needs a reality check? It's not like the team is making up the rankings, undefeated"ness", polls, stats etc.

Maybe it is the many AGSers who need a reality check?

DukesR4Real
November 7th, 2006, 11:18 AM
4th in fumbles lost (3);

I think you left out strength of schedule. I know it should be a little bit higher in two weeks after USD knocks off Cal and USC but I am talking about right now...I think USD has a weaker schedule than Duquesne and that is really saying something

Torero Tradition
November 7th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Question... does Saragin ratings account for strength of schedule?

There are many teams out there who haven't even played a ranked top 15 team in I-AA. And some only because they had to via a conference game.
The examples are plenty of other teams playing crappy OOC schedules.
USD just happens to have a great team this year and actually be deserving of a playoff spot as a team. (based on their schedule??) I understand that people are antsy because USD might take away a spot from their school.

Go Apps
November 7th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Fri 9/1/2006 San Diego at Azusa Pacific San Diego 17-0
Sat 9/9/2006 Dixie State at San Diego San Diego 41-7
Sat 9/16/2006 San Diego at Yale San Diego 43-17
Sat 9/30/2006 San Diego at Davidson San Diego 50-21
Recap Stats
Sat 10/7/2006 Butler at San Diego San Diego 56-3
Sat 10/14/2006 Valparaiso at San Diego San Diego 68-7
Sat 10/21/2006 San Diego at Drake San Diego 37-0
Sat 10/28/2006 Morehead State at San Diego San Diego 44-21
Sat 11/4/2006 San Diego at Jacksonville San Diego 38-21
Sat 11/11/2006 Dayton at San Diego 9:00 PM
Sat 11/25/2006 San Diego at UC Davis

STOP THIS PLAYOFF TALK - THERE IS NO REASON TO EVEN CONSIDER SAN DIEGO, LOOK AT THIS HORRIBLE SCHEDULE - THERE ARE ABOUT 20 OTHER AT LARGE TEAMS THAT PLAYED SOMEBODY - HELL ANYBODY!!!

PAY YOUR DUES AND YOU GET AN INVITE - JUST ASK COASTAL CAROLINA

DukesR4Real
November 7th, 2006, 11:38 AM
I understand that people are antsy because USD might take away a spot from their school.

That seems to be your biggest comeback. In all reality though nobody is saying they are worried about USD taking their teams playoff spot. If anything, nobody here whose team actually has a chance at a playoff spot (USD not being one of these teams) isnt worried one iota about USD taking their team's spot. You just keep mentioning this so you feel better about yourself and about your teams absolute zero chance of making the playoffs.

Torero Tradition
November 7th, 2006, 11:38 AM
What 20 other at large teams do you think should be considered above San Diego?

Many people are considering USD for the playoffs and many already including them in their bracket predictions.

Many media outlets are talking San Diego and the playoff possibilities so why isn't there reason to consider San Diego...

THEY ARE 10th in the GPI for last week...
THEY ARE ranked 10th in the Saragin for this week!

Torero Tradition
November 7th, 2006, 11:39 AM
your teams absolute zero chance of making the playoffs.

If you think USD has a zero percent chance to make the playoffs you are not living in reality. :nod:

GrizFanIRAQ
November 7th, 2006, 11:46 AM
[QUOTE=Torero Tradition]It's looking like a [B]75.8% chance of the Toreros making it into the big show. The I-AA playoffs

Heres some other 75% stats for San Diego.

1) If you do make it....75% chance your gonna come to Montana:nono:
2) Nov 25 weather report.....75% chance of snow!!!:hurray: :hurray:
3) .....75% chance that the weather will be below 32degrees the WHOLE GAME:hurray: :hurray:
4) ....75% chance the wind will be blowing and drop the actual temps with wind chill factor to the single digits if not below zero!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Well, hope to see you up here real soon!!!:nod: :nod: :twocents:

BeauFoster
November 7th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Mike, thanks for posting.... that thought process is clearly the minority on the board. That's why i keep bringing it up, how is it not possible that USD get in with all that info... ESPECIALLY a year in which there may be many 4 loss teams etc. The USD quarterback is also a Payton Candidate. USD will have many players up for post season awards. I just can't beleive that all these people think USD is a pushover... i think it is just frustration over the fact USD may get in, and their team might not.

I am not worried about my team getting in and I don't want USD in. There is no reason to rehash it for the nth time, but the whold scheduling problem that would come in future seasons from some other teams trying to "recreate" a cupcake schedule the likes of USDs to impress the committee.

DukesR4Real
November 7th, 2006, 01:24 PM
If you think USD has a zero percent chance to make the playoffs you are not living in reality. :nod:

really great insightful rebuttal...you must be a lawyer in real life, a terrible lawyer at that.

Black and Gold Express
November 7th, 2006, 01:43 PM

I'm going to save this one for posterity, and we can revisit it on the 19th...

Guard Dawg
November 7th, 2006, 03:11 PM
I can't wait for the 19th... then i'm gonna let USD have it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whats a Torero
November 7th, 2006, 03:18 PM
I can't wait for the 19th... then i'm gonna let USD have it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh Boy......another cupcake on our schedule :smiley_wi

Couldnt resist. I'm not holding my breath for the Toreros to make it. The high ranking is probably where this interesting story ends.

GOTOREROS
November 7th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Oh Boy......another cupcake on our schedule :smiley_wi

Couldnt resist. I'm not holding my breath for the Toreros to make it. The high ranking is probably where this interesting story ends.

You're probably right. I will be jumping up and down if we get a bid, but am prepared for the bad news on the 19th. But, there is always a "chance".....

The only thing we can do is go out there and keep winning. It really is out of our hands whether we ge a bid or not. And if USD does get a bid, don't be angry with USD. Be angry with the committee....

Maverick
November 7th, 2006, 04:15 PM
USD fans also shouldn't be angry at the committee for being able to recognize a schedule that is near the very bottom. They should be angry at an AD and coach who put together a schedule of a D-II, NAIA, and half of its possible quality games after the selection day. When your conference is that weak, the aforementioned moves are the validation of why USD is not a playoff "worthy" team. USD's "unreality" show of winning big against a schedule that is better than only 9 other teams in D-I (as of this week) has yet to find a way to refute that one fact. This one fact overarches all of the rankings, polls, standings, statistical rankings, etc.

Torero Tradition
November 7th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Not arguing your points, but how do you explain all the rankings and polls in regards to San Diego?

Maverick
November 7th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Simple. Looking only at the numbers and not the context of gaining those numbers. The team that you beat to get those numbers has a place in that equation, but for many systems it appears that all of the numbers they crunch are not evaluated in terms of the opponent. Thus the gaudy numbers of USD were acquired against a schedule that is very near the bottom of D-I as calculated by Sagarin. Note Sagarin's explanations states that his two basic methods are based on W-L and MOV (margin of victory) and the final ranking is a combination of those results. His SOS is figured and ranked separately, but it is not used to "adjust" the rankings for level of competition. Not knowing enough about how to do that with his stats I can't tell you how one would go about that, but I do believe that not including the SOS in the calculations as well as in the GPI, rankings, and polls can result in an inflated ranking such as what has happened with USD, and to a much lesser degree Charleston Southern.

Torero Tradition
November 7th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Since USD has fallen from #10 to #13 in the most recent GPI, the teams chances of making the playoffs are now at 64.5% chance of making the playoffs.

Guard Dawg
November 7th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Looks like the Toreros have peaked and are now on the way down... back to reality.

Torero Tradition
November 7th, 2006, 08:23 PM
They are still playoff eligible... in at #13 this week and looking like an at-large pick.

Black and Gold Express
November 8th, 2006, 10:44 AM
They are still playoff eligible... in at #13 this week and looking like an at-large pick.

It's going to suck being you when you get the wake up call everyone but you foresees happening. You'll have wasted all this time and gotten your hopes up for nothing.

On some levels, you and your fellow USD fans will have my sympathies. But on the flip side, many of you have been so annoying that you're going to deserve every bit of anguish you get from not getting into the playoffs, and then some.

UNHFan99
November 8th, 2006, 11:20 AM
I think San Diego coaches got alittle excited because they were probably contacted to put a Bid in to host a playoff game. This got there hopes up and thats why they think if they win out they have a really good shot at making it. I still dont think they are in though. Just my :twocents:

MR. CHICKEN
November 8th, 2006, 04:00 PM
I am beginning to want San Diego to make it. Only one way to find out:)

DIG IT..FU..................LET 'EM IN...FEED 'EM....TA MONTANA...APPY.....UMA$$..........DAT WAY.............DEL. STATE.....GETS...DUH NEXT....."WOOFY"...........:nod:....BRAWK!

BigApp
November 8th, 2006, 05:40 PM
I'm still scratching my bald head trying to figure out why a recent Southern Cal grad cares soooooooooooooo much about San Diego?

Reminds me too eerily of that kid who came on here a few years ago, was all about the Wofford Terriers, and come to find out he attended the University of the South. Then *poof* he disappeared....

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 8th, 2006, 05:46 PM
I think San Diego coaches got alittle excited because they were probably contacted to put a Bid in to host a playoff game. This got there hopes up and thats why they think if they win out they have a really good shot at making it. I still dont think they are in though. Just my :twocents:

Good thought, and they can learn from it too... Next year put more DI teams on their schedule so that if it happens again they won't have a big ? beside their record.

Torero Tradition
November 8th, 2006, 05:57 PM
I'm not so sure USD's schedule for next year will be a lot different... it should be a little improved... but your not going to see a non-conference schedule of 4 big time I-AA schools.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 8th, 2006, 05:58 PM
I'm not so sure USD's schedule for next year will be a lot different... it should be a little improved... but your not going to see a non-conference schedule of 4 big time I-AA schools.

Just a schedule with all DI teams would be a good improvement.

Torero Tradition
November 8th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Agree... USD has to play their conference schedule... not getting around that... and their conference will usually fluctuate between the 1-4th ranked worst conference. They may have a contract with Asuza that is still good for a couple years. But if they just played one sub I-AA i think they would be fine. Schedule a couple IVY's, maybe an NEC then one big game with like a NDSU, CAL POLY or BIG SKY. Maybe that would do the trick... probably could only lose one game during the year if they hoped to make it in.

UAalum72
November 8th, 2006, 06:13 PM
But if they just played one sub I-AA i think they would be fine. Schedule a couple IVY's, maybe an NEC then one big game with like a NDSU, CAL POLY or BIG SKY. Maybe that would do the trick...
I doubt it. That might be an OK OOC for an autobid league, but you'll need at least TWO top I-AA scholarship games, plus the Ivy, and the NEC better not be St. Francis.

Guard Dawg
November 8th, 2006, 09:55 PM
If USD actually plays tougher teams next year... they won't be ranked has high... kind of a catch 22, I can see why USD wants to continually pad their win total, it's the only way they will get recognition

grizwin
November 9th, 2006, 01:51 AM
I WOULD LOVE to play USD in front of 18 thousand and everyone would be back in the stands with thanksgiving weekend over and a nice tune up and healing injuries YES I WOULD LOVE GRIZZZ vs usd in Missoula especially since usd team would have no idea about this type of atmosphere

monmouthhawk
November 9th, 2006, 06:48 AM
USD is a good team and could probably scare a couple of the big boys, but...

USD has not played a truly physically tough team like Montana. USD would lose the game and possibly hurt their best players.

GOTOREROS
November 9th, 2006, 09:05 AM
I WOULD LOVE to play USD in front of 18 thousand and everyone would be back in the stands with thanksgiving weekend over and a nice tune up and healing injuries YES I WOULD LOVE GRIZZZ vs usd in Missoula especially since usd team would have no idea about this type of atmosphere

Yes, I am sure the Griz want to play USD for a number of reasons. One of them might be that UM is 0-1 vs. USD lifetime. I am sure you guys don't want that glaring mark in your media guide much longer....

Pauly LB
November 9th, 2006, 09:22 AM
And to make it worse, USD plays yet another lousy team this week. The Dayton Flyers (Sagarin rated as the 228th "best" team in division one (out of 241 teams). USD's schedule is ranked as the 231st "most difficult" schedule meaning that ONLY 10 teams had easier schedules than USD.

Quite frankly, other teams that played real schedules that only finish with 7 wins and 4 losses deserve to play in the playoffs before USD.

Tostido tradition !!!

Guard Dawg
November 9th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Yes, I am sure the Griz want to play USD for a number of reasons. One of them might be that UM is 0-1 vs. USD lifetime. I am sure you guys don't want that glaring mark in your media guide much longer....

WHAT YEAR WAS THAT GAME PLAYED, LOL!

GOTOREROS
November 9th, 2006, 10:37 AM
WHAT YEAR WAS THAT GAME PLAYED, LOL!

Richard Nixon was Vice President - 1958! xlolx xlolx

Torero Tradition
November 9th, 2006, 11:20 AM
I don't think the Griz want any part of USD this year... :) :) :)
they might go to 0-2 against San Diego all time

Go Apps
November 9th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Where do you come up with your percentage - I would say you have it reversed

Torero Tradition
November 9th, 2006, 01:07 PM
The AGS unofficial poll has USD at about a 20% chance to make it in

IaaScribe
November 9th, 2006, 02:24 PM
You're really a fan of alliteration, aren't you?

Torero Tradition
November 9th, 2006, 02:43 PM
You're really a fan of alliteration, aren't you?

Not now nor never, nasty Knucklhead...

Guard Dawg
November 11th, 2006, 10:15 AM
I don't think the Griz want any part of USD this year... :) :) :)
they might go to 0-2 against San Diego all time

That would be the day, hell would certainly freeze over

Torero Tradition
November 11th, 2006, 10:23 AM
I can't wait for tonight.... USD Fever in San Diego!

Torero Tradition
November 12th, 2006, 04:33 AM
WOW, stadium was rocking, congrats to USD and non-scholarship football!

placidlakegriz
November 12th, 2006, 07:07 AM

Yea rightxidiotx

placidlakegriz
November 12th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Since USD has fallen from #10 to #13 in the most recent GPI, the teams chances of making the playoffs are now at 64.5% chance of making the playoffs.

:nonono2:Where do you get this garbage??

placidlakegriz
November 12th, 2006, 07:11 AM
It's going to suck being you when you get the wake up call everyone but you foresees happening. You'll have wasted all this time and gotten your hopes up for nothing.
On some levels, you and your fellow USD fans will have my sympathies. But on the flip side, many of you have been so annoying that you're going to deserve every bit of anguish you get from not getting into the playoffs, and then some.

xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx