PDA

View Full Version : Will the Gateway take NDSU and SDSU?

BisonBacker
November 6th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Thoughts or comments on the possibility of NDSU and SDSU joining the gateway. Gateway fans what are your thoughts, would you like to see it happen or would you want a different addition and if so who and why?
Thanks

BillLuc1982
November 6th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Thoughts or comments on the possibility of NDSU and SDSU joining the gateway. Gateway fans what are your thoughts, would you like to see it happen or would you want a different addition and if so who and why?
Thanks

Hopefully both. It will make the Gateway the most competitive conference in I-AA football without a doubt! Maybe giving INSU the boot and sending them to the OVC would be a good idea. It would help INSU win more games.

texcap
November 6th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Hopefully both. It will make the Gateway the most competitive conference in I-AA football without a doubt! Maybe giving INSU the boot and sending them to the OVC would be a good idea. It would help INSU win more games.

It would probably raise the level of play in BOTH conferences!

shakdaddy3
November 6th, 2006, 11:37 AM
i think INSU would drop football before leaving the MVC or getting the boot from it... JMHO

crunifan
November 6th, 2006, 12:43 PM
I would love to add both NDSU and SDSU. I honestly believe that their inclusion into the Gateway would make us hands down to best conference in I-AA. Considering the fact that we have to play every team, that is one super difficult schedule.

Imagine playing Illinois State, UNI, Youngstown State, SIU, NDSU, SDSU, and WIU all in the same year. Let alone when Missouri State gets back on its feet.

redbirdtim
November 6th, 2006, 01:14 PM
It would be like the SEC of the I-AA. You would have to be a very special team (and likely favorite for the national title) to go undefeated in that brutal conference. Don't boot out Indiana St. though, better to have them on the schedule than have to put on a DII game. For teams though, might have to reconsider that I-A game if it's usually a loss.

Johnny5
November 6th, 2006, 01:18 PM
I for one would love to have NDSU and SDSU in the Gateway. We already know it is one of the toughest, if not the toughest conference in I-AA football. I welcome the competition, because it makes the conference and the games that much more exciting. I'd like to keep the trees in our conference, because well they are the trees.

birdsflyhigh
November 6th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Bring on the Dakotas!!! If NDSU and SDSU were to join the Gateway, the conference would be an absolute juggernaut! We'd be looking a GFC that could place 7 teams in the top 25 at any time. WOW!! :eek:

MSU will get back on track, and it looks like IN St. is starting to turn the corner a bit. The Sycs record might not reflect it, but they are MUCH improved over last year, and I honestly think IN St. would win their fair share of games in a weaker conference.

The Gateway becomes the SEC of I-AA? Couldn't agree more! :nod:

BearsCountry
November 6th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Add them it would be great for the conference.

Cap'n Cat
November 6th, 2006, 01:33 PM

Agree with Bill on all counts, esp. the INSU thing.

MplsBison
November 6th, 2006, 01:34 PM
I'd like to keep the trees in our conference, because well they are the trees.

Because it's a guaranteed win every year?

It's not like the ISU program can't win.

If they had the money and the support the other schools have, there's no reason to think top athletes wouldn't come to Terre Haute.

They just don't.

I'd rather see them put the money in bball.

BearsCountry
November 6th, 2006, 01:45 PM

If they had the money and the support the other schools have, there's no reason to think top athletes wouldn't come to Terre Haute.

They just don't.

You just want some way to get North Dakota in.

Chi Panther
November 6th, 2006, 01:49 PM
WKU is gone.....

I'd like to see NDSU, SDSU added. Then we are at 9 teams......and only need to get Charles Koch to get a I-AA program at WSU for a total of 10 teams.

IF the GFC can accomplish this......scheduling would become soo much easier......

penguin8797
November 6th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Take them both immediately! I have yet to hear a reason against it. They would make great additions to the conference and allow for playing 8 conference games per year with the net gain of one team to the conference, assuming the loss of WKy as a foregone conclusion.

FlyYtown
November 6th, 2006, 03:05 PM
I would love to see NDSU and SDSU join the Gateway.... but at the same time; if it occurs; YSU MAY need to look to move somewhere else...

In no time the travel costs and travel for our fans would be way too much..... and we may look another direction.... That is what I am hearing from the inside at least.

Nothing against NDSU or SDSU; but c-mon: Youngstown-OH to North/South Dakota: 3 Hour Flights or 2 Day Long Drives.

MplsBison
November 6th, 2006, 03:05 PM

Not at all.

We'll schedule UND non conference if we have to.

It's just the most logical choice to take the 2 top 10 DII schools that are also in our states if you're going to take NDSU and SDSU in the first place.

Witchita State and Drake would be easy choices as well, but neither has shown the desire.

MplsBison
November 6th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Nothing against NDSU or SDSU; but c-mon: Youngstown-OH to North/South Dakota: 3 Hour Flights or 2 Day Long Drives.

How long are the drives to Akron and Kent? :D

crunifan
November 6th, 2006, 03:07 PM
I would love to see NDSU and SDSU join the Gateway.... but at the same time; if it occurs; YSU MAY need to look to move somewhere else...

In no time the travel costs and travel for our fans would be way too much..... and we may look another direction.... That is what I am hearing from the inside at least.

You have a point. Cedar Falls is already far enough away from Youngstown, let along Brookings and Fargo.

BisonBacker
November 6th, 2006, 04:05 PM
You hit the nail on the head there. I don't know what the his deal is about them but he'd sell his first born to have them in the same conference xidiotx I don't know why Youngstown would feel like its a long trip. Do they currently bus to every game in the conference? They do have airplanes in Youngstown don't they?

FlyYtown
November 6th, 2006, 04:24 PM
You hit the nail on the head there. I don't know what the his deal is about them but he'd sell his first born to have them in the same conference xidiotx I don't know why Youngstown would feel like its a long trip. Do they currently bus to every game in the conference? They do have airplanes in Youngstown don't they?

Well we do and we travel by air to almost all our games; but still; our fans are our top priority..... And our airport: let's just say the name I have is to try to entice airlines to come out there. we have just 1!!!

btw: 2007 YSU SCHEDULE may have 7 home games!!
Current Non-Conf:
OHIO STATE
Stony Brook
South Dakota State

And with just 6 GFC Games, that means we will need 2 more!!! I Wonder who???

BisonBacker
November 6th, 2006, 04:28 PM
I asked a local sports guy that same question (if he knew if our AD was trying to schedule any Gateway teams) as we have some open dates. I have to think we will see some Gateway teams on our schedule next year. I would be suprised if we don't.

MplsBison
November 6th, 2006, 04:43 PM
You hit the nail on the head there. I don't know what the his deal is about them but he'd sell his first born to have them in the same conference

Not at all.

We'll schedule UND non conference if we have to.

It's just the most logical choice to take the 2 top 10 DII schools that are also in our states if you're going to take NDSU and SDSU in the first place.

I already answered that and it's not ture.

It's simply in the best reasonable interest of the Gateway with other schools likely to follow WKU's lead (most likely being YSU, ILSU, and MOSU).

And as I already said, Witchita and Drake would be easy choices if they had any interest.

NorthDakotaBison
November 6th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Where do you come up with this stuff?

Reed Rothchild
November 6th, 2006, 07:15 PM
I think the Dakota schools would be a great addition to the Gateway. It would eliminate a lot of scheduling problems that UNI has every year in trying to schedule another quality I-AA opponent in addition to the Gateway foes.

skinny_uncle
November 6th, 2006, 07:24 PM
The Dakota schools are the frontrunners with WKU leaving. Adding a team to the conference would definitely help with scheduling as we would only have to find 3 OOC games instead of the current 4.

BisonBacker
November 6th, 2006, 10:17 PM
I'd be curious if any Gateway fans know of any scheduling talk or if they could poke around or talk to someone at their respective school to see if they are planning on trying to schedule NDSU. I know SDSU already has two gateway teams I believe on the schedule for next year but NDSU does not and I'm pretty sure we have some open dates. Would be great to get a rematch game with Souther Illinois if they are available. Hopefully Gene Taylor our AD is working on some of this even though I know the football season is in getting close to playoffs but its fun to talk about it. I hope we do see membership in the Gateway in 2008, its just unfortunate this years team isn't eligible for the playoffs.

BisBison
November 6th, 2006, 11:01 PM
I really hope the XDSUs get into the gateway. Sounds great,:nod: the SEC of D-IAAxsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx . As for travel from Youngstown, what's the difference once you are in the air a two and a half hour flight vs. a three hour flight? :confused: I don't see much difference. It also guarantees you one home game per year. You may have to travel as far as the Dakotas for the additional OOC game anyway. Hell we went to Georgia, Texas, and Indiana for our OOC games this year.

Chi Panther
November 6th, 2006, 11:38 PM
I really hope the XDSUs get into the gateway. Sounds great,:nod: the SEC of D-IAAxsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx . As for travel from Youngstown, what's the difference once you are in the air a two and a half hour flight vs. a three hour flight? :confused: I don't see much difference. It also guarantees you one home game per year. You may have to travel as far as the Dakotas for the additional OOC game anyway. Hell we went to Georgia, Texas, and Indiana for our OOC games this year.

Lots of I-AA schools in the east......and they love their bus trips.......xlolx

Johnny5
November 7th, 2006, 01:36 AM

They just don't.

Nah I just like trees LMAO:thumbsup:

PantherRob82
November 7th, 2006, 02:22 AM
Looking forward to many trips to Brookings and Fargo. :hurray:

igo4uni
November 7th, 2006, 08:55 AM
It's simply in the best reasonable interest of the Gateway with other schools likely to follow WKU's lead (most likely being YSU, ILSU, and MOSU).

How do you know this??? Even if it does happen, it's years and years down the road. :twocents:

BisonBacker
November 7th, 2006, 11:07 AM
He likes to post stuff "matter of factly" and it is sometimes just way too funny.

PantherRob82
November 7th, 2006, 12:04 PM
If the SoCon raids the OVC maybe YSU goes back to the OVC to avoid trips to the XDSU's?

BearsCountry
November 7th, 2006, 04:27 PM
If the SoCon raids the OVC maybe YSU goes back to the OVC to avoid trips to the XDSU's?

xlolx

Johnny5
November 7th, 2006, 07:53 PM

If YSU were to leave the Gateway, which a few people seem to think possible it would be for a conference with an autobid. However, I don't see them going to the OVC, let's face it we left there for a reason...it sucks. As far as MPLSBison's guess that we will be moving up to IA, where do you get this information? It is not even remotely on the table for discussion by our trustees or anyone. Maybe it will happen in a few years, but definately not this soon. If they were to make the move it would have happened in the 90s when Marshall moved up...at this point we are a few years away from IA. If for some reason we were to leave the Gateway a good guess might be to look at the A10, because of the competition level and the autobid. However, that is a shot in the dark and like I said a guess. YSU will most likely stay in the Gateway unless something mutuall beneficial opens up, which has not as of yet.

MplsBison
November 7th, 2006, 08:09 PM
I didn't and have never said that YSU is moving. I merely said that aligning themselves with the rest of Ohio's public I-A teams (save Ohio State and Cincinnati) in the MAC would be their best option.

BisonBacker
November 8th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Same song from MPLSBison or should it be MPLSSUE?:nod: :nod: :nod:

Longnecker
November 8th, 2006, 05:26 AM
It was reported already that the void left in Western Illinois schedule by Western Kentucky leaving the Gateway will be filled by North Dakota State beginning next season. It will be interesting to see how many, if any, G'way ADs will take WKU as a non-conference opponent. I think WKU is going to have a difficult time coming up with games to fill their new schedule, especially with any teams from the Gateway. :D

BisonBacker
November 8th, 2006, 08:09 AM
It was reported already that the void left in Western Illinois schedule by Western Kentucky leaving the Gateway will be filled by North Dakota State beginning next season. It will be interesting to see how many, if any, G'way ADs will take WKU as a non-conference opponent. I think WKU is going to have a difficult time coming up with games to fill their new schedule, especially with any teams from the Gateway. :D

Where was this reported or was it just rumor? Please provide a Link if you have one.
Thanks

AmsterBison
November 8th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Where was this reported or was it just rumor? Please provide a Link if you have one.
Thanks

What do you want confirmed? That Western Illinois and NDSU are meeting next year? That was reported as being nearly finalized in the Fargo paper today.

The rest of it was just speculation on longnecker's part. I'm pretty sure he is right though - there doesn't seem to be much in it for Gateway teams to play WKU unless they get a home game out of the deal.

Khan4Cats
November 8th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Looking at the possibility of expansion and the also possibility of the A-10 getting 2 seeds because they don't have to play everyone in conference while we in the Gateway knock each other off:eyebrow: , I propose the following:

The Gateway Conference swallows the Great West Conference whole, not just the XDSU's. We then align the Conference into Quads:
West: Cal-Poly, UC-Davis, SUU
North: SDSU, NDSU, UNI
Central: MSU, WIU, IlSU
East: YSU, InSU, SIU

Each quad would play two other quads and amongst themselves, totalling 8 conference games. They would not play one quad. The schedule could then rotate every two years, thus you actually will play every team in the conference 4 times every 6 years and the teams in your quad every year. This way we could have a couple of teams every year go undefeated and get home playoff seeds, and probably get two more in as at-larges.:) :hurray:

Yeah right, we'd probably still beat the ---- out of each other.:(

NorthDakotaBison
November 8th, 2006, 02:40 PM
looks like the super-wac of the '90's

whatever happened with that?

oh yeah, it fell apart.

BisonBacker
November 8th, 2006, 02:54 PM
What do you want confirmed? That Western Illinois and NDSU are meeting next year? That was reported as being nearly finalized in the Fargo paper today.

The rest of it was just speculation on longnecker's part. I'm pretty sure he is right though - there doesn't seem to be much in it for Gateway teams to play WKU unless they get a home game out of the deal.

Sorry for asking, but when someone states something as a matter of fact its nice to have a link to see if its confirmed or just opinion. I hadn't read the forum today yet.

MplsBison
November 8th, 2006, 08:05 PM
How can you tell if someone is writing something "matter of fact" just by reading their post on a message board?

MplsBison
November 8th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Looking at the possibility of expansion and the also possibility of the A-10 getting 2 seeds because they don't have to play everyone in conference while we in the Gateway knock each other off:eyebrow: , I propose the following:

The Gateway Conference swallows the Great West Conference whole, not just the XDSU's. We then align the Conference into Quads:

Each quad would play two other quads and amongst themselves, totalling 8 conference games. They would not play one quad. The schedule could then rotate every two years, thus you actually will play every team in the conference 4 times every 6 years and the teams in your quad every year. This way we could have a couple of teams every year go undefeated and get home playoff seeds, and probably get two more in as at-larges.:) :hurray:

Cool idea. The only problem is that SUU is going to the Big Sky and UC Davis is going I-A.

Poly is staying I-AA, but there's no way they'd travel out to the middle of the country 2 times zones away 6 times a year. Nor would the rest of the Gateway go out there.

Bison05
November 8th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Cool idea. The only problem is that SUU is going to the Big Sky and UC Davis is going I-A.
Poly is staying I-AA, but there's no way they'd travel out to the middle of the country 2 times zones away 6 times a year. Nor would the rest of the Gateway go out there.

And you claim you dont talk matter of factly xidiotx xidiotx

MplsBison
November 8th, 2006, 09:00 PM
No idea what you're talking about.

Johnny5
November 9th, 2006, 12:45 AM

LMAO can we have the new castle school of trades instead of the trees?:thumbsup:

BisonBacker
November 9th, 2006, 04:43 PM
How can you tell if someone is writing something "matter of fact" just by reading their post on a message board?
Read the original post, then read mine, if you still need explanation well I just can't help you then.

JBB
November 10th, 2006, 12:13 PM

I was deep in the huddle with some great football fans last night, all familiar with the old NCC and converts to D1.

Nobody can figure und out. They let everybody leave them behind and now have nobody to play. They cant buy a big game with UNC, NDSU and SDSU gone. It deflated their sports bubble and they found out they are desperate to renew old rivalries. They burned bridges and lack allies.

The other side of the coin was how little the old NCC schools need them. The NDSU schedule is fantastic. The game against the Gophers was as big a game as NDSU has ever played including all the national championship games. Every game is interesting and the level of play is up.

Its a great day here in the GWFC and a dark day in the old NCC. SCSU and Mankato are really scratching their heads.

Everyone also agreed that there is no need to schedule them at all and it would be a bad move to help them into a conference we are in.

Thats the talk from deep in Central Minnesota. :thumbsup:

bison95
November 10th, 2006, 12:25 PM
I was deep in the huddle with some great football fans last night, all familiar with the old NCC and converts to D1.

Nobody can figure und out. They let everybody leave them behind and now have nobody to play. They cant buy a big game with UNC, NDSU and SDSU gone. It deflated their sports bubble and they found out they are desperate to renew old rivalries. They burned bridges and lack allies.

The other side of the coin was how little the old NCC schools need them. The NDSU schedule is fantastic. The game against the Gophers was as big a game as NDSU has ever played including all the national championship games. Every game is interesting and the level of play is up.

Its a great day here in the GWFC and a dark day in the old NCC. SCSU and Mankato are really scratching their heads.

Everyone also agreed that there is no need to schedule them at all and it would be a bad move to help them into a conference we are in.

Thats the talk from deep in Central Minnesota. :thumbsup:

That is a common thought down here near Omaha also. :thumbsup:

MplsBison
November 10th, 2006, 06:20 PM
That's pretty childish to me.

NDSU should take the high road and help out the state of North Dakota when possible.

JackTwice
November 11th, 2006, 05:13 PM
I strongly disagree MplsBison, I certainly hope that SDSU does little to help USD in their transition. They are both on their own. I hope they enjoy each other.

MplsBison
November 11th, 2006, 05:25 PM
SDSU also should show that they are a class act and take the high road. What's best for the state of South Dakota is what's best for both SDSU and USD.

skinny_uncle
November 11th, 2006, 06:15 PM
The way NDSU played today, we would love to have them in the league.

RabidRabbit
November 11th, 2006, 06:36 PM
SDSU also should show that they are a class act and take the high road. What's best for the state of South Dakota is what's best for both SDSU and USD.

What's best for the State of South Dakota and it's athletes is to have a top I-AA, Div. I school, plus a top D-II school. That way, the athletes of SD have programs and success in their respective divisions. USD selected to not jump earlier, and they're paying a "rock&hard place" price. They'll need to do what best serves their needs. If that includes moving to Div I, then SDSU will play them again. OOC for a while, but ultimately, after USD is up to speed, the schools may be in the same conference, but we'll have at least 5 years where that won't happen if SDSU/NDSU get into Gateway/MidCon combo.

Johnny5
November 12th, 2006, 04:01 AM
That's pretty childish to me.

NDSU should take the high road and help out the state of North Dakota when possible.

It is not their job nor responsiblity to do so. How would helping ND or USD benefit either program? It is my understanding that both programs made the decision to stay where they are, while NDSU and SDSU chose to move on. It is the business of NDSU and SDSU to do what is best for their students and programs. If that is doing what they are trying to accomplish that is fine. Unfortunately, where it is at now ND and USD are holding NDSU and SDSU back from their goals.:twocents:

WYOBISONMAN
November 12th, 2006, 07:34 AM
It is not their job nor responsiblity to do so. How would helping ND or USD benefit either program? It is my understanding that both programs made the decision to stay where they are, while NDSU and SDSU chose to move on. It is the business of NDSU and SDSU to do what is best for their students and programs. If that is doing what they are trying to accomplish that is fine. Unfortunately, where it is at now ND and USD are holding NDSU and SDSU back from their goals.:twocents:

You are right on target with that! The only way NDSU should help UND is if it is of benefit to NDSU.......

I like the way the Youngstown fans think!!

BisonBacker
November 12th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Johnny5 I agree with you and its nice to see someone from outside the NDSU SDSU / UND USD circle explain it to those who for whatever reason have this big hangup of we have to be in the same conference or we have to help them attitude. NDSU and SDSU have to do what is right for them. Thanks for your insightful and yet simple spot on explanation which I would think should be clear to anyone if they want to take of the rose colored glasses for a few minutes.

Gil Dobie
November 12th, 2006, 09:30 AM

Right On Johnny5. Maybe MB can tell us that Minnesota should help UMD, MMSU-Mankato and St Cloud become I-AA football schools and schedule all three each year. :eyebrow:

pantherseeker
November 12th, 2006, 04:31 PM
I dont think the gateway is goin to take SDSU or NDSU...i say that because both teams are still in the transition phase of 1-AA...if I'm correct...NDSU cant even go to the playoffs yet...dont get me wrong..NDSU is a very strong team in their CONFERENCE...but they aren't ready to step up and play excellent compition every week, like it is here in the gateway.

Bison05
November 12th, 2006, 04:36 PM
I dont think the gateway is goin to take SDSU or NDSU...i say that because both teams are still in the transition phase of 1-AA...if I'm correct...NDSU cant even go to the playoffs yet...dont get me wrong..NDSU is a very strong team in their CONFERENCE...but they aren't ready to step up and play excellent compition every week, like it is here in the gateway.

Huh? xidiotx First of all we would join in 2008, the same year will become playoff eligible. Second, we lost to big ten minnesota by 1, killed number #9 Cal poly and play in the toughtest conference according to the GPI. How can you say we wont compete in the GFC? I think you need to familiarize yourself with the Dakota State U's before you post something like this.

FargoBison
November 12th, 2006, 04:40 PM

Both teams are eligable in 2008, which would be the first year NDSU/SDSU would play in the Gateway not next year. NDSU is a top 4 team in the country I think we are ready to compete in the Gateway, I am not saying we would win the conference but I think NDSU would do quite well.

X-Factor
November 12th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Huh? xidiotx First of all we would join in 2008, the same year will become playoff eligible. Second, we lost to big ten minnesota by 1, killed number #9 Cal poly and play in the toughtest conference according to the GPI. How can you say we wont compete in the GFC? I think you need to familiarize yourself with the Dakota State U's before you post something like this.

Bison05, clearly this person is quite clueless if he thinks the Bison couldn't compete very well in the gateway every year.

crunifan
November 12th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Please, I never want to hear that the Great West is the toughest conference ever again. You have 5 teams. The Great West is good, but the Gateway and A-10 are tougher.

Sorry, I just know a kid that LOVES NDSU, and all he keeps talking about is how tough the Great West is an it makes me want to puke. Youngstown took out UC Davis, UNI took out SDSU. SUU sucks ass. That leaves Cal Poly and NDSU, and as far as I'm concerned the top two teams don't determine how tough a conference is.

[/rant]

SO ILLmatic
November 12th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Patty V was on during halftime of the SIU game. She was asked about the future of the Gateway and the possibility of expansion. She said that both NDSU & SDSU have been contacted and the soonest teams would be added is 2008. She said that the only problem with these two schools is the distance from some of the current conference members. In addition, she said that she would be happy with just 7 members, but at the same time the problems that non-conference scheduling always presents itself to Gateway teams.

skinny_uncle
November 12th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Bison05, clearly this person is quite clueless if he thinks the Bison couldn't compete very well in the gateway every year.
NDSU would be competitive. That is why we want them in the Gateway. The GWFC does not have enough members for an autobid even when they become eligible. We would love to have them join one of the most competitive leagues in the country. We aren't looking for a patsy. We need someone to replace WKU. Your program looks like the best fit.

NDSUFREAK
November 12th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Looking forward to many trips to Brookings and Fargo. :hurray:

looking forward to having you guys come to the FFD!:beerchug:

JackTwice
November 12th, 2006, 06:19 PM
CRIUNIFAN, I am going to start this by saying I don't know much about the Gateway other than YSU and UNI.

What you said about SUU is true but doesn't the Gateway have more than 1 bottom feeder? Also, both those games you referenced were in Gateway stadiums. This is the missing point about the GWFC. What makes it so tough is beside the 3 tough games you have in the conference you also have to play tough OOC games on the road. This year SDSU played at Montana, UNI, McNeese along with Poly and now NDSU. I am not sure there is a string of 5 games in the Gateway that is that tough. I may be wrong and frankly, I can't wait until we get to find out on 2008.:thumbsup:

pantherseeker
November 12th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Huh? First of all we would join in 2008, the same year will become playoff eligible. Second, we lost to big ten minnesota by 1, killed number #9 Cal poly and play in the toughtest conference according to the GPI. How can you say we wont compete in the GFC? I think you need to familiarize yourself with the Dakota State U's before you post something like this.

your talking like the gophers are good this year. Its not like your playing a top 25 team...we lost to iowa state by 1 point...and I'm really familiar with the dakota schools...I just think you need to familiarize yourself with the gateway...we put 3 teams every year in the playoffs....and make noise in the playoffs...

Bison05
November 12th, 2006, 06:43 PM
your talking like the gophers are good this year. Its not like your playing a top 25 team...we lost to iowa state by 1 point...and I'm really familiar with the dakota schools...I just think you need to familiarize yourself with the gateway...we put 3 teams every year in the playoffs....and make noise in the playoffs...

Do you really want to compare Iowa State and Minnesota? :eyebrow:
Believe it or not I am very familiar with Gateway teams and their history. Im also aware of how well NDSU would match up with Gateway school.

I could make a comment about UNI and an unamed dakota school but I wont.:nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2:

crunifan
November 12th, 2006, 06:48 PM
CRIUNIFAN, I am going to start this by saying I don't know much about the Gateway other than YSU and UNI.

What you said about SUU is true but doesn't the Gateway have more than 1 bottom feeder? Also, both those games you referenced were in Gateway stadiums. This is the missing point about the GWFC. What makes it so tough is beside the 3 tough games you have in the conference you also have to play tough OOC games on the road. This year SDSU played at Montana, UNI, McNeese along with Poly and now NDSU. I am not sure there is a string of 5 games in the Gateway that is that tough. I may be wrong and frankly, I can't wait until we get to find out on 2008.:thumbsup:

Youngstown State, Illinois State, UNI, and Southern Illinois are all ranked in the top 15. And are usually, very good teams. Western Kentucky traditionally is a top 25 team (although this is their last year). Western Illinois a a deceptively good team! Don't even look at their record as an idicator of how good they are, they are a great team. Missouri State is having a very down year (they changed coaches), but traditionally are a good team. Indiana State is the equivalent to SUU, and is very much a bottom feeder.

I am in no way trying to disrespect they Great West teams, but what I am saying is I believe it is harder to win the Gateway than it is the Great West. First of all, there are more teams to deal with. Second, I believe the teams are in general better in the Gateway.

This is in no way to discredit your OOC games. For the Great West has some pretty hard schedules. But I think it is not right calling the Great West the TOUGHEST conference in I-AA. So, overall, what I am saying, is that each individual team in the Great West would have a harder time in the Gateway than the Great West.

In that note, I really do hope that NDSU and SDSU are added to the Gateway, because that would make the Gateway that much better. And if that happened, I honestly think you could call the Gateway the toughtest I-AA conference.

I hope that makes sense.

penguin8797
November 13th, 2006, 07:34 AM
I think the Gateway is a very strong conference, but Indiana State has been awful since the beginning of time, and when has Missouri ever been any good? The top 4 teams are very strong this year, and WKU and WIU have some talented players and have been NC contenders/winner in the past, but this year they are average and have near 500 records to prove it. Adding the NDSU/SDSU schools would help scheduling and they appear to be quality programs. The drawback is the travel distance for teams farther east like YSU.

As far as YSU going 1-A, don 't hold your breath. I don't see it happening in the next 10 years. YSU cannot afford the budget required to maintain all the required olympic sports, unless something drastic changes they will stay in 1-AA, or should I say the "NCAA Football Championship Subdivision" as it is to be called after this year, which IMHO is retarded and no improvement whatsoever over calling it D1-AA.

WYOBISONMAN
November 13th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Bison fans just have to be patient and see what the Gateway schools want. If they want the Bison, that is FANTASTIC. If they choose to not invite us.....then we make the Great West Football Conference the best.

BearsCountry
November 13th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Up until this year, the Bears have been pretty competive in the Gateway. We might not win a ton of games but most are close. And normally we sweep through our non-conference I-AA games.

JBB
November 13th, 2006, 12:37 PM
UNI is out of the picture. Early season indications were clear that they would fade. Im surprised they lasted as long as they did. Maybe they can rebuild before next season? Lucky they got the D2 school this year and not The NDSU BISON. But hey every program has a down year. I just hope its not the begining of a downward spiral for the Panthers?

Admitting the Great Dakota Land Grants is a huge decision for the Gateway. timing is right so our first year of membership would be our first year of playoff eligibilty and full D1 membership. I hope its a go for us but if not Im with the others, The GWFC isnt a bad place to be.

BisBison
November 13th, 2006, 12:52 PM
UNI is out of the picture. Early season indications were clear that they would fade. Im surprised they lasted as long as they did. Maybe they can rebuild before next season? Lucky they got the D2 school this year and not The NDSU BISON. But hey every program has a down year. I just hope its not the begining of a downward spiral for the Panthers?

Admitting the Great Dakota Land Grants is a huge decision for the Gateway. timing is right so our first year of membership would be our first year of playoff eligibilty and full D1 membership. I hope its a go for us but if not Im with the others, The GWFC isnt a bad place to be.

I love the GWFC, but we need more teams. Now, with Montana State backing out of their home & home with us for next year, :bang: :bang: we are left with only 3 home games on the schedule at this point. I'm sure we'll get more but I don't envy Gene Taylor, what a headache this has to be for him. Makes the Gateway seem pretty attractive if it's offered.

MplsBison
November 13th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Now, with Montana State backing out of their home & home with us for next year, :bang: :bang: we are left with only 3 home games on the schedule at this point.

To hell with the Big Sky.

Assuming an 11 game schedule and 8 Gateway games in 2008, our NC schedule should be

1) UND
2) DI-A money game
3) A Texas Southland home/home for the TX players

Save the Montana beat down games for the playoffs.

BismarckBison
November 13th, 2006, 01:30 PM
To hell with the Big Sky.

Assuming an 11 game schedule and 8 Gateway games in 2008, our NC schedule should be

1) UND
2) DI-A money game

Save the Montana beat down games for the playoffs.

1) (UND) correction no UND but a non-conf D1-AA
2) DI-A money game

BisonBacker
November 13th, 2006, 01:50 PM
1) (UND):bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: correction no UND but a non-conf D1-AA
2) DI-A money game

Thank you for posting that. I added the head banging as it's my impersonation of MPLSSUE trying his damdest to get the whioux on our schedule. xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

pantherseeker
November 13th, 2006, 03:40 PM
I would like to see the dakota schools in the gateway...it would just make our conference that much better...I was just hatin earlier..lol...and plus NDSU has one hell of a dome...but its not better then the historic UNI-DOME!!!...NDSU has some of the best facilities in 1-AA...NDSU can just be cocky sometimes...like they created the game of football

MplsBison
November 13th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Thank you for posting that. I added the head banging as it's my impersonation of MPLSSUE trying his damdest to get the whioux on our schedule. xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

Stop trying to pretend as if there's actually a chance that UND will never be scheduled again.

It's a like a ostrich sticking its head in the sand.

Bison05
November 13th, 2006, 04:38 PM
I would like to see the dakota schools in the gateway...it would just make our conference that much better...I was just hatin earlier..lol...and plus NDSU has one hell of a dome...but its not better then the historic UNI-DOME!!!...NDSU has some of the best facilities in 1-AA...NDSU can just be cocky sometimes...like they created the game of football

You mean we didn't?:eek: :smiley_wi

NDSUFREAK
November 13th, 2006, 04:52 PM

http://cache.nmn.speedera.net/pics4/400/LY/LYBGOESFAWWUOBN.20050304211311.gif
https://www.nmnathletics.com/pics13/160/GG/GGQOXUKNFHESCCX.20040913224356.jpg

Sorry, but I would say that the FFD is the best dome in 1AA and that is just no lie.

JBB
November 13th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Und doesnt belong on our schedual. You dont see the NDSU athletic director and coaches trying to rebuild the bridges they burned.

When we started this transition we all wanted the Big Sky. Heck we didnt care less about the Gateway, it was a pipe dream anyway, and the Mid Con was ignored as well.

Right now its clear being in the Mid Con and a possible Gateway invite is a dream come true. Our programs are well matched to both conferences and they would be a lot of fun.

UNI is a familiar foe from the old NCC days and the rest of the bunch are all more than worthy company. You wont find a fan with more respect for the Gateway and its members than I am, and I cant wait to start play in the Mid Con.

NYSigma
November 13th, 2006, 04:59 PM
I think they should take them both. Keep all of those cold weather teams in one darn conference!!! I may surely be ignorant but anything Dakota sounds cold!!!! xcoffeex

WYOBISONMAN
November 13th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Realize too that many of us NDSU fans are rather sure that when UND is a DI counter, we will see them on our schedule........

crunifan
November 13th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Who cares about which dome is better?

The fact is both schools are EXTREMELY happy with their respective dome. And neither school would trade. So, let's just settle for both having damn good stadiums!

Bison05
November 13th, 2006, 05:26 PM

The fact is both schools are EXTREMELY happy with their respective dome. And neither school would trade. So, let's just settle for both having damn good stadiums!

Agreed:thumbsup:

No_Skill
November 13th, 2006, 06:14 PM

Wow. A reasonable suggestion. Forgive me, I'm just not used to that given some of our old rivalries.

AZJack
November 13th, 2006, 10:10 PM
What is the average attendance at a GFC game?

Hammerhead
November 13th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Last season, the Gateway averaged just over 10,000 per game. That figure should be about the same (if not higher) when NDSU and SDSU join.