PDA

View Full Version : William and Mary @ New Hampshire

Mattymc727
October 6th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Big CAA Match-up this week amongst two ranked teams. Game is on national-TV at 3:30PM (NBC SportsNetwork).

Everyone knows the drill, UNH is ranked higher, ten straight playoff appearences, 150 weeks in the top 25, but still cant beat the Tribe.

I cant make up my mind. Head says W&M always wins, heart says Cats pull this one out for some reason.

Either way it will be a nail-biter!!

BisonFan02
October 6th, 2014, 11:14 AM
Low scoring game favors W&M. UNH will need to put some good points on the board (yeah....thanks Madden :D )

ngineer
October 6th, 2014, 12:39 PM
Gut tells me UNH wins at home about 10. At Williamsburg a toss-up.

UNHWildcat18
October 6th, 2014, 01:17 PM
Yeah I know normally W&M could put out grandma's in wheelchairs and still beat us, but I think this year UNH is too good for W&M at home. 38-24.

Lehigh'98
October 6th, 2014, 05:26 PM
UNH is rolling right now. Regardless of history they win this handily 45-20

Uncle Buck
October 6th, 2014, 05:29 PM
UNH is the team to beat in the CAA this season in my opinion. I think UNH pulls away late to win comfortably.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Gordon Shumway
October 6th, 2014, 05:33 PM
I actually worry a little about QB. Vailas has been very good while Goldrich has been out, but I don't like the potential dynamic if Goldrich is cleared to go, and a borderline choice having to be made for a big game. I guess if I have learned nothing else, it should be to trust Coach Mac to do the right thing.

Tribal
October 6th, 2014, 09:49 PM
Tribe defense isn't as good as the one that shut out UNH in a 17-0 victory last year but I have to go with the team that has won 10 of the last 11.

W&M 27
UNH 21

#RisingTribe

Mattymc727
October 7th, 2014, 06:21 AM
UNH needs its Oline to continue to play well. The defense needs to create a turnover or two also.

I like UNH by a score for now....

UNH72Plus
October 7th, 2014, 09:18 AM
I've been admonished on another site for not mentioning WM's injury problems this year, but I'll stick my neck out and make a few more comments. WM is a bit of an enigma, on average they have been statistically out performed in almost every category and yet are still 4-1. Here's a few of the data:

First downs - 77/94
Net rushing yards - 667/882
Net passing - 802/1183
Pass completion % - 50.9/68.7
Sacks given up - 17/5

On the positive side, they've only turned the ball over 5 times and they've only had 19 penalties (UNH has had 31 penalties and 7 turnovers). Of course the bottom line is they have held their opponents to 68 point in their 4 wins.

UNH has had the advantage at QB with their two starters throwing for a combined 1419 yards, 10 TDs, and an average QB rating or 107.5 (WM's stats are 793 yards, 3 TDs, and a rating of 79). WM appears to have a very good kicker (10 for 11 inside 50 yards) while UNH's starting kicker has been questionable (3 for 5 inside 50).

I think the difference will be UNH's offense (#11 in total offense in the FCS vs WM at #102) playing at home in front of a Homecoming crowd.

WMTribe90
October 7th, 2014, 09:42 AM
I've been admonished on another site for not mentioning WM's injury problems this year, but I'll stick my neck out and make a few more comments. WM is a bit of an enigma, on average they have been statistically out performed in almost every category and yet are still 4-1. Here's a few of the data:

First downs - 77/94
Net rushing yards - 667/882
Net passing - 802/1183
Pass completion % - 50.9/68.7
Sacks given up - 17/5

On the positive side, they've only turned the ball over 5 times and they've only had 19 penalties (UNH has had 31 penalties and 7 turnovers). Of course the bottom line is they have held their opponents to 68 point in their 4 wins.

UNH has had the advantage at QB with their two starters throwing for a combined 1419 yards, 10 TDs, and an average QB rating or 107.5 (WM's stats are 793 yards, 3 TDs, and a rating of 79). WM appears to have a very good kicker (10 for 11 inside 50 yards) while UNH's starting kicker has been questionable (3 for 5 inside 50).

I think the difference will be UNH's offense (#11 in total offense in the FCS vs WM at #102) playing at home in front of a Homecoming crowd.

That's a fair analysis. Our defense to date has not been consistently dominant like last year. The defense has forced turnovers and come up with big plays, but also does a lot of bending. We're also giving up too many big plays (breaking). Injuries are part of it, but not the whole story.

Offensively, I think we are getting a little better each week. This is expected when you have a new starting QB that had virtually no game experience coming into the season. SBU game was best effort to date against a quality defense. Cluley was recruited by UNH and is a very good athlete that can run some. He has a strong arm and has shown good accuracy on his deep throws. The offense took a hit when we lost our senior captain and starting TE on the 3rd play from scrimmage at VT. But, the offense will only be missing one starting OL for Saturday. We've had success running the ball and have depth at RB. Biggest issue has been pass protection.

Biggest surprise and one of the main reasons we are 4-1, despite the stats above, is special teams play. We've been exceptional in all facets of kicking game. We'll likely be without our starting punter who was injured during the Lafayette game (roughed). If it comes down to FGs, I like our chances.

For some reason, WM always plays well against UNH and finds a way to slow down their offense. With two weeks to heal and prepare, I think the defense will play its first complete game of the year. If our offense doesn't turn it over, runs the ball effectively, and keeps TOP about even, I like our chances.

WM 27
UNH 24

Mattymc727
October 7th, 2014, 11:11 AM
Im hoping UNH doesnt play intimidated because they have lost 10 of 11 against W&M. UNH is on a roll right now, playing at home on homecoming too. UNH should be bringing the fight to W&M and just go out there and do their thing.

Put the past behind them and play Saturday's game like its the very first meeting.

I agree with another poster. UNH needs to play Vailas or Goldrich. Not both. If Goldrich isnt 100%, the answer is Vailas.

Sidenote: Looks like Steriti and Crossan will be back for Saturdays game.

Gordon Shumway
October 7th, 2014, 04:56 PM
I look at it this way....We broke the quarterfinal jinx last year, so why not the W&M jinx this year? :D

Ivytalk
October 7th, 2014, 07:14 PM
The Wildcat players better hope that the 3 hot chicks on campus are waiting for them after the game. Tribe by 7.

ZableNoise
October 7th, 2014, 07:37 PM
3 hot chicks? Must be a party school...

UNHWildcat18
October 7th, 2014, 07:53 PM
The Wildcat players better hope that the 3 hot chicks on campus are waiting for them after the game. Tribe by 7.

HAHA as a UNH student we are stacked with attractive women, our fraternity chapter at Harvard made sure to tell us when they visited. Harvard women though I picture as tall, fit with a small b cup and loaded with turtle neck sweaters.

Tribe4SF
October 8th, 2014, 04:17 AM
I look at it this way....We broke the quarterfinal jinx last year, so why not the W&M jinx this year? :D

You broke the jinx in 2012. We're working on a new one now.xnodx

Mattymc727
October 8th, 2014, 06:32 AM

Are you saying that HARVARD has more attractive chicks than UNH?????

Now out of all the things ive heard....

Tribal
October 8th, 2014, 10:03 AM
Some of the UNH-WM offensive stats should be more closely examined. We played VT, not Toledo and we played against the #1 defense in the FCS, not Richmond's D. We'll know more this Saturday.

#RisingTribe

Mattymc727
October 8th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Some of the UNH-WM offensive stats should be more closely examined. We played VT, not Toledo and we played against the #1 defense in the FCS, not Richmond's D. We'll know more this Saturday.

#RisingTribe

Who do you think has the #1 defense in the FCS? Statistically maybe for now, but its hard to claim any of your wins were against the best defense in the FCS.

Tribal
October 8th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Who do you think has the #1 defense in the FCS? Statistically maybe for now, but its hard to claim any of your wins were against the best defense in the FCS.
Stony Brook according to NCAA website statistics. Not my oppinion, just a fact.
How else am I supposed to measure who has the top defense?
#RisingTribe

Mattymc727
October 8th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Stony Brook according to NCAA website statistics. Not my oppinion, just a fact.
How else am I supposed to measure who has the top defense?
#RisingTribe

Well for one, their level of competition isnt top notch either. Sure they have a great defense statistically, but other than the Tribe.... Bryant, North Dakota, American Intl., Towson, and even Uconn dont exactly set the world on fire.

Im willing to bet there are a number of teams in the top 25 that can do better statistically with that schedule.

Does Stony Brook have a good defense? Absolutely..... Best in the FCS? Probably not

Mattymc727
October 8th, 2014, 11:39 AM
UNH Game notes are up:

http://www.unhwildcats.com/sports/fball/2014-15/files/UNH_fb_W-M.pdf

Mattymc727
October 8th, 2014, 11:48 AM
Everyone is aware of W&M's record against UNH. However heres an interesting streak working in UNH's favor:

UNH has won 17 of their last 18 at home and are 27-2 in their last 29 home games.

tribe_pride
October 8th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Everyone is aware of W&M's record against UNH. However heres an interesting streak working in UNH's favor:

UNH has won 17 of their last 18 at home and are 27-2 in their last 29 home games.

Very impressive.

Just looked and it appears that UNH has only 3 home losses since 2008. In 2012 to Towson and then in 2010 and 2008 to W&M. Only home (or any) win against W&M in that span was a 28-25 win over a 2-9 Tribe team in 2012. Time for the every other year 2014 home loss to happen

Catsfan90
October 8th, 2014, 04:11 PM
My favourite part about the past is that its over and done with. Anything can happen on Saturday. Win or lose, this will be an amazing game. To be honest, I'm tired of the blowout games UNH has won. With the exception of Richmond, the others were borderline boring. This won't be though.

Anovafan
October 9th, 2014, 03:41 PM
UNH is hard to beat at home! Somehow they always find a way to win. I'm rooting for W&M, hard to even say that, but I think UNH takes this one, 31-27.

TypicalTribe
October 9th, 2014, 03:55 PM
When you really dig into the numbers, the Tribe has been living off an unsustainable formula. In the four wins, they've been +7 in turnovers and their opponents have racked up roughly 40 yards more in penalties per game. These advantages have largely papered over the fact that the Tribe has largely been outgunned in the run of play. The offensive is neither efficient nor particularly productive, settling for field goals on 9 field goal attempts versus only 11 TDs in the red zone. And the defense, while opportunisticwith turnovers, has not shown an ability to stop teams consistently. W&M is racking up more than three sacks a game but has dishearteningly given up roughly the same. In short, this is not a team that has shown itself to be dominant in any particular area of the game, except maybe the kicking game. That's where hope lies for the Tribe. If they can control field position with their freshman punter and make UNH sustain long drives, then the opportunistic sack and turnover can keep them in the game. If not, and it becomes any kind of offensive game, i don't think Cluley & Co. can be productive enough to pull out a win. UNH 27 W&M 17

tribe_pride
October 9th, 2014, 05:41 PM
Think I read that Carpenter will be punting again as Windmuller (who is a Sophomore) may still be injured from the Lafayette game

Bogus Megapardus
October 9th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Windmuller (who is a Sophomore) may still be injured from the Lafayette game

Hey, the ball was tipped. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. xrolleyesx

As of Thursday -

New Hampshire (-7) vs. William & Mary

That's up from (-6) earlier in the week.

tribe_pride
October 9th, 2014, 07:18 PM

I was just making a comment that despite what TypicalTribe thought, Windmuller is likely out because he got injured in the Lafayette game. I wasn't placing blame.

Bogus Megapardus
October 9th, 2014, 09:28 PM
I was just making a comment that despite what TypicalTribe thought, Windmuller is likely out because he got injured in the Lafayette game. I wasn't placing blame.

I know, I know. I'm just carpetbagging here. xembarrassedx

Good luck in Durham - history is on your side.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 10th, 2014, 11:02 AM
How many WM fans making the trip north?

Mattymc727
October 10th, 2014, 06:43 PM
Cowell will be overflowing tomorrow. As of today, tailgating sold out and UNH students alone picked up 5000 tickets. Cowell as it currently stands seats 6500, so no doubt the stadium will be packed to the brim.

http://unhwildcats.com/sports/blog/2014-15/releases/46

Guess the new stadium cant come soon enough....

HailSzczur
October 10th, 2014, 09:59 PM
Rooting for W&M in this one so that:
1. we move up in the rankings
2. a win against W&M next week would look more impressive
3. we can win the CAA outright
:D

But sadly I think UNH by 7-10

Tribe4SF
October 11th, 2014, 05:47 AM
How many WM fans making the trip north?

About what we usually bring. Somewhere between 600 and 1,000.

See ya on Boulder Field!

wanm65
October 11th, 2014, 10:11 AM
A great day for Tribe football !

wanm65
October 11th, 2014, 10:15 AM

As of Thursday -

New Hampshire (-7) vs. William & Mary

That's up from (-6) earlier in the week.

A review of the video shows NO TIP. The ball went 47 yards in the air!

wanm65
October 11th, 2014, 10:16 AM
To win this one we need a whole game on both the D & O :D

wanm65
October 11th, 2014, 10:21 AM
What is the weather like?

wanm65
October 11th, 2014, 10:27 AM
Looks like partly cloudy at 54

wanm65
October 11th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Anybody know what channel the game in on in NOVA?

wanm65
October 11th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Anybody know what channel the game in on in NOVA?

Just found it FIOS 590 at 3:30

Mattymc727
October 11th, 2014, 10:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i3FIZ7YK40

Its Game Day!!!

This is gonna be a good one!

wanm65
October 11th, 2014, 11:09 AM
We need a complete game!

wanm65
October 11th, 2014, 11:11 AM
We need to score on the first possession

wanm65
October 11th, 2014, 11:13 AM
We need to score on the first possession

- - - Updated - - -

And the D needs to get a 3 & out

dwtime
October 11th, 2014, 03:19 PM
UNH up 15-0

dwtime
October 11th, 2014, 04:07 PM
UNH up 15-3 at the half

Mattymc727
October 11th, 2014, 04:12 PM
I cant tell if W&M offense is that out of sync or if UNH has a better defense than we thought. Tribe defense is keeping them in it for now. Tribe get the ball after the half.

dwtime
October 11th, 2014, 05:08 PM
Wow W&M commits a blatant interference and its not called on an INT? That was obvious.

dwtime
October 11th, 2014, 05:21 PM
Wow that was holding? Jeez refs making stuff up to keep W&M in the game.

dwtime
October 11th, 2014, 05:27 PM
Woooooooo Steriti puts the nail in the coffin!

- - - Updated - - -

UNH up 32-3 with less than 8 min left.

dwtime
October 11th, 2014, 05:43 PM
Beating W&W is sweet going into the bye week, but drubbing them out of town and getting that albatross off their back is even sweeter!

Mattymc727
October 11th, 2014, 05:44 PM
W&M looked like crap on offense, that was terrible.

dwtime
October 11th, 2014, 05:47 PM
its a final 32-3 UNH

Sitting Bull
October 11th, 2014, 06:07 PM
You sound like an ass but I thought UNH looked very solid today: big, physical and experienced. They are every bit top 4. Congrats on a good showing.

dwtime
October 11th, 2014, 07:27 PM
You sound like an ass but I thought UNH looked very solid today: big, physical and experienced. They are every bit top 4. Congrats on a good showing.

Who sounds like an ass?

kdinva
October 11th, 2014, 08:48 PM
didn't see this coming......thought it would be a 7-10 point margin.

Mattymc727
October 11th, 2014, 08:59 PM
Not sure if he was referring to me, I wasn't trying to be an ass. I was just pointing out how poor W&M was on offense, which they were, there is no denying that. UNH isn't exactly world beaters on defense and to only score 3 points isn't good at all. The QB play was poor and the play selection was also poor. That said, the W&M defense is very good and there are a lot of playmakers on that defense. UNH is on a bit of a roll right now, hopefully they rest up going into the bye week.

AsOne

LeadBolt
October 11th, 2014, 09:07 PM
Who sounds like an ass?

Congrtulations to the UNH football team on a very good outing and a solid drubbing of W&M. I just hope we didn't sound like you when we won 10 of the last 12.

wmmii
October 11th, 2014, 09:08 PM
Congrats to UNH, good game.

Tribe looked very poor at Q play and have to agree the play selection got away from the running game which is their strength in second half. Very disappointing play by the O.

Next weekend end will be tough with Nova coming to town....

Catsfan90
October 11th, 2014, 09:15 PM
Congrtulations to the UNH football team on a very good outing and a solid drubbing of W&M. I just hope we didn't sound like you when we won 10 of the last 12.
I think its great you bring up winning 10 of the last 12, lol at that comment. Does it make it feel better? Great spelling by the way.

UNH72Plus
October 11th, 2014, 09:50 PM
Great win for the cats, both the O and the D put in workman-like performances!

It was also nice meet some ardent Tribe supporters over breakfast. Hope you have a safe trip home.

dwtime
October 12th, 2014, 12:18 AM

Hey good luck against Nova next week. If you don't think drubbing is an appropriate verb maybe you should watch the tiddlywinks championships instead. And yeah your team has been an albatross to UNH for 10 of the last 12, so you go ahead and enjoy those last 10 while I enjoy this one Skippy.

tribefan40
October 12th, 2014, 07:05 AM
Stay classy New Hampshire. Very good team - most complete UNH team I've seen. With the remaining schedule you guys are a lock for a top 3 seed, will be interesting to see if NDSU or EWU slips up, UNH will be a terror at home. Good news for the Tribe is that the schedule softens after Nova, should give them some time to figure things out for the playoffs.

Gordon Shumway
October 12th, 2014, 08:06 AM
Well, that wasn't what I expected. But in all fairness, I'm not entirely sure what I was expecting. It was great to see the Cats play such a complete game on both sides of the ball in a big game. If that defense showed up every game, I'm pretty sure we could make another deep run in the playoffs.

As far as the recent history against W&M goes, I'm a glass half-full type of guy. I prefer looking at it as winning 2 of the last 3, rather than losing 10 of 12. :D

Good luck to W&M next week. I'll be rooting for you.

LeadBolt
October 12th, 2014, 08:12 AM
Well, that wasn't what I expected. But in all fairness, I'm not entirely sure what I was expecting. It was great to see the Cats play such a complete game on both sides of the ball in a big game. If that defense showed up every game, I'm pretty sure we could make another deep run in the playoffs.

As far as the recent history against W&M goes, I'm a glass half-full type of guy. I prefer looking at it as winning 2 of the last 3, rather than losing 10 of 12. :D

Good luck to W&M next week. I'll be rooting for you.

Good luck to New Hampshire and I hope you go a long way this year. You guys beat us like a drum, fairly and squarely and I hope you do well the rest of the way.

No problem with your team or your school, both of which are very good, my gripe is with dwtime's a$$h01e remarks earlier in this thread.

Gil Dobie
October 12th, 2014, 09:55 AM
It appears the CAA is a 2 team league, both UNH and Nova could run the table after seeing UNH beat a good William & Mary team like they did.

UNH Fanboi
October 12th, 2014, 10:07 AM
It appears the CAA is a 2 team league, both UNH and Nova could run the table after seeing UNH beat a good William & Mary team like they did.

We should run the table, but even with a relatively easy schedule going undefeated in conference play is very difficult. Maine usually gives us a tough game even in down years. And Stony Brook and Albany are pretty good and could be dangerous. We'll have a target on our backs and many of our opponents will be playing with nothing to lose. I remember when we beat eventual national champion Nova on homecoming and then lost to a mediocre UMass team the following week.

Mattymc727
October 12th, 2014, 10:51 AM
UNH could easily slip up somewhere, Im thinking at Maine to end the season maybe. However UNH should run the table to close out. Only two more road games, one is at Rhody...

dwtime
October 12th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Good luck to New Hampshire and I hope you go a long way this year. You guys beat us like a drum, fairly and squarely and I hope you do well the rest of the way.

No problem with your team or your school, both of which are very good, my gripe is with dwtime's a$$h01e remarks earlier in this thread.

So what exactly were my remarks that you didn't like leadbrain?

UNH Fanboi
October 12th, 2014, 12:29 PM
So what exactly were my remarks that you didn't like leadbrain?

Take it easy with the smack. Just move on.

Uncle Buck
October 12th, 2014, 01:08 PM
Be win for UNH, just solidifies my notion that the cats are the team to beat in the CAA. Looks like this one got away from W&M and UNH ran with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

ursus arctos horribilis
October 12th, 2014, 01:12 PM
Take it easy with the smack. Just move on.

Very solid advice.

Tribal
October 12th, 2014, 03:55 PM
Be win for UNH, just solidifies my notion that the cats are the team to beat in the CAA. Looks like this one got away from W&M and UNH ran with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
True enough. It's going to be a 4-5 team battle for a 3rd CAA team in the playoffs, one of which should be SBU.

Congrats to UNH for an impressive win. Very glad the UNH fans I know take the good and bad with pure class. Great school, solid APR, and an excellent football program. Good luck this season and we'll see you at Zable for some payback.

#RisingTribe

Uncle Buck
October 12th, 2014, 09:17 PM
True enough. It's going to be a 4-5 team battle for a 3rd CAA team in the playoffs, one of which should be SBU.

Congrats to UNH for an impressive win. Very glad the UNH fans I know take the good and bad with pure class. Great school, solid APR, and an excellent football program. Good luck this season and we'll see you at Zable for some payback.

#RisingTribe

SBU may have a playoff caliber defense, but that offense, ugh!

I think there is a lot of tough football left to be played, if I read correctly, Nova vs W&M will be huge.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk