PDA

View Full Version : Any Help?

UNH 40
November 6th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Does Northwesterns 21-7 win over Iowa this past Saturday help UNH in the playoff picture considering Iowa pounded Montana? Of course UNH has to win its last two, but I was extremely excited to see that Northwestern won and think that it does help UNH at least a little. Your Thoughts?

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 6th, 2006, 09:24 AM
If UNH looses any more games nothing will help them out... Can't have 4 losses. As far as the situation you stated. A win vs. a D-IA team is going to have about the same weight no matter how good they are. Win out, and theres a chance to make an at-large pick.

shakdaddy3
November 6th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Does Northwesterns 21-7 win over Iowa this past Saturday help UNH in the playoff picture considering Iowa pounded Montana? Of course UNH has to win its last two, but I was extremely excited to see that Northwestern won and think that it does help UNH at least a little. Your Thoughts?
winning your next 2 will help you more than northwestern beating anyone IMO

BillLuc1982
November 6th, 2006, 09:25 AM

UNH goes 8-3 = they're in
UNH goes 7-4 = with the lack of 8-3 teams, it could be a possibility. At least they beat a REAL TEAM unlike San Diego. I know that the selection committee would consider 7-4 teams from the Gateway or A-10 first.

Umass74
November 6th, 2006, 09:42 AM
If UNH wins out, I think they definitely get a playoff game .

Beating Maine would take the Black Bears out. Richmond is out for sure with their loss this week.

UNH's only rival in the A10 now is Towson, but the Tigers get JMU the last game of the season. I don't see them winning that game.

And I think the Wildcats are going to give whatever team draws them as an at-large bid a really, really bad time.:D

danefan
November 6th, 2006, 09:47 AM
No way can the committee take a 10-0 San Diego team over a 7-4 UNH team.

That would be a complete and utter disgrace and would set a horrible precedent. The committee would essentially be saying that you are better off scheduling a crappy IAA OoC schedule than scheduling a BigTen team and winning.

DB_Atlantic10
November 6th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Does Northwesterns 21-7 win over Iowa this past Saturday help UNH in the playoff picture considering Iowa pounded Montana? Of course UNH has to win its last two, but I was extremely excited to see that Northwestern won and think that it does help UNH at least a little. Your Thoughts?Win out and you're in...especially with at tough ranked Maine remaining..... Handle your business and keep the Santos Ball show rolling into the post season.

crunifan
November 6th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Well, Iowa sucks, so I would say no. Plus, Northwestern ALWAYS beats Iowa (in every sport, too). It pretty amazing, actually.

And isn't Iowa suffereing for a ton of injuries? Did Tate play that game?

DB_Atlantic10
November 6th, 2006, 09:54 AM
No way can the committee take a 10-0 San Diego team over a 7-4 UNH team.

That would be a complete and utter disgrace and would set a horrible precedent. The committee would essentially be saying that you are better off scheduling a crappy IAA OoC schedule than scheduling a BigTen team and winning.Trust me, if they go 7-4 they sit.. it may not be San Diego, but it won't be UNH....Also if they were to go 7-4, it would appear that they would be on a downward spiral, which is what UMass did last year when left out at 7-4.

UNH 40
November 6th, 2006, 10:49 AM
If UNH wins out, I think they definitely get a playoff game .

Beating Maine would take the Black Bears out. Richmond is out for sure with their loss this week.

UNH's only rival in the A10 now is Towson, but the Tigers get JMU the last game of the season. I don't see them winning that game.

And I think the Wildcats are going to give whatever team draws them as an at-large bid a really, really bad time.:D

Hopefully we can take care of task at hand, I really agree with your last statement. If they can get the magic back and get on a roll they are going to be a very tough draw for whoever gets them.

UNH 40
November 6th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Trust me, if they go 7-4 they sit.. it may not be San Diego, but it won't be UNH....Also if they were to go 7-4, it would appear that they would be on a downward spiral, which is what UMass did last year when left out at 7-4.

Oh without a doubt 4 losses and you are out of the picture unless you have someway managed to lose four games and win your conference. They really have to buckle down these next two weeks and fight there way in.

rcny46
November 6th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Hopefully we can take care of task at hand, I really agree with your last statement. If they can get the magic back and get on a roll they are going to be a very tough draw for whoever gets them.

Somehow,someway,they have to get Mike Boyle patched up and back in the lineup.

UNHFootballAlum
November 6th, 2006, 01:10 PM
They have to fix their play calling first before you can talk about the getting on a roll and giving a playoff team a bad time. If they can do that they should win out. Offensive play calling has not rhythm.

BlueHen86
November 6th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Hew Hampshire is a dangerous team. I think they have as much chance of winning the NC as anybody.
But, if they lose either of their next two I think they sit at 7 - 4.

UNHWILDCATS05
November 6th, 2006, 01:35 PM
They have to fix their play calling first before you can talk about the getting on a roll and giving a playoff team a bad time. If they can do that they should win out. Offensive play calling has not rhythm.

I couldn't agree with you more...
1. Horrible call to fake punt so early in the game and if you have to do it... you MUST make sure that the guy throwing the ball knows that he HAS to at least throw the ball no matter what... it is either a catch for a first down, an interception deep (like a punt), or at the very worst it goes back to the line of scrimmage instead of getting sacked for a huge loss.

2. They did not seem to want to leave the plays going towards the sidelines alone... when they got away from that and tried throwing actually down the field, and not towards the sides, everything was connecting

which leads me to my final point

3. The last play of the game was HORRIBLE... everything is working going down the field, but instead they try to get fancy and go towards the side again, with a quick shuttle pass that gets knocked to the ground.... Coach Mac HAS to come up with something better then that in that situation...i.e. throw it to BALL...

But a caveat to all this, as bad as the play calling was, there were plenty of chances for the actual players on the field to make things happen.. too many dropped passes, penalties.. blah blah blah.. it has all been said

Bobcat in NC
November 6th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Since we're talking in hypotheticals (which we all do so well), I'd like everyone's opinion on this: Let's say that the chips fall such that a 7-4 team is going to get an invitation (remember, I said hypothetical). Does New Hampshire, a team who has struggled quite a bit over the past several weeks, get in over Montana State, a team who has won 6 in a row as of Saturday? Does recent performance matter to the selection committee? Would a team who dropped their first 3 and then ripped off 8 straight wins get the nod over a team who won their first 8 and then dropped their last 3?

(Of course, Cat/Griz will make this entire question moot, as MSU will win and get the Big Sky autobid...)

Any input would be appreciated.

grizwin
November 6th, 2006, 01:58 PM
YA USD LOL. Speaking as a GRIZZZZZ fan we would absolutely LOVE to see USD come in for a visist in rd 1. That should tell yawhO I think should get in and its not usd GO TORREROS

Umass74
November 6th, 2006, 02:23 PM
I couldn't agree with you more...
1. Horrible call to fake punt so early in the game and if you have to do it... you MUST make sure that the guy throwing the ball knows that he HAS to at least throw the ball no matter what... it is either a catch for a first down, an interception deep (like a punt), or at the very worst it goes back to the line of scrimmage instead of getting sacked for a huge loss.

This is a no smack comment. The fake punt was a bad call. UMass had its regular defense in, not its punt return team. UMass was expecting the fake.

The punter (or the coaches) should have looked at the defense and called a time out. Once he ran the play, it was dead from the gitgo.

UNHFootballAlum
November 6th, 2006, 04:04 PM
IMHO a 7-4 UNH team gets in over a 7-4 Montana State team. Montana State loses to a DII team. All of UNH's loses are 1-AA. Hypothetically, of course

UNHFootballAlum
November 6th, 2006, 04:07 PM
That fake punt call was bogus. UNH had a little momentum and could have pinned UMASS deep I their own territory, but all it did was give all of the momentum to UMASS.

UNHWildCats
November 6th, 2006, 04:12 PM
lets assume UNH, Umass and UNH winout. If UNH was snubbed from the playoffs at that point being 8-3 and 2 of its losses to the #3 and #4 teams in the country would be ridiculous. Even if JMU or Mass lost another game there still top 10 teams. The good thing for UNH about the 3 losses are 2 came to very very good opponents.