PDA

View Full Version : AGS Top 25 - How They Fared Week 6

superman7515
October 4th, 2014, 10:34 PM
After a boring Week 5, plenty of shake-ups in Week 6 to get the conversation going. NDSU has to come back against WIU, the only MVFC team that didn't have a Top 25 vote coming into this week. Eastern Washington still can't stop anyone, with a 3 point victory over perennial doormat Idaho State. Top 10 teams South Dakota State and Northern Iowa lose outright, one in a blowout. #5 Coastal Carolina needs double OT to edge a Furman team that AGS has written off in a down SoCon this year. Montana edges the North Dakota Average Joe's with a field goal as time expires... And that's just the Top 10!

Twelve of the teams between 11 and 40 lost outright, another five won by one score or less, and as of this moment, unranked Sacramento State is still hanging with #19 Montana State in the only game still in play on the spreadsheet this week.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgtKAORz8z6vdFJISU5tRkRFS2h3ekRaS3g3YlUzS nc&usp=sharing

As always, if you see any errors, please send me a note so I can get that fixed ASAP, and thank you for making "How They Fared" the number 1 tool on AGS for filling out your brackets each week. Looking forward to some good conversation before filling out my ballot, plenty of room for movement this weekend. I'm a blank slate, why does Team X deserve to be in my ballot?

superman7515
October 4th, 2014, 11:56 PM
All of the scores are updated and every link is to a recap with the exception of Montana State/Sacramento State because the game just ended and it's too soon for anyone to have written a recap. Should be one tomorrow morning though and I'll update the link then.

Enjoy.

robsnotes4u
October 4th, 2014, 11:58 PM
I don't do the poll but I am impressed with what you do

Fordham
October 5th, 2014, 06:22 AM
yep, thanks sup.

interesting week. I had one of those old school legendary high school football coaches (RIP) and I remember he always used to say that every season you'd have two games you play above your head, two games where you play much worse than you really are and the rest of the time you play like the team you really are. If you could win the games where you don't play up to expectations, you were in line for a potentially great season. That's why I'm not of the mindset to penalize any team who has a close conference win, even if it was against someone they were supposed to coast against. Now, if they start to have a pattern of games like that, it's different. Does that make sense? Interested if others have a different take.

I also have to get to work figuring out where the NEC teams fit in here.

again, thanks sup

superman7515
October 5th, 2014, 07:57 AM
Thanks guys.

Updated the Montana State/Sacramento State game from the boxscore to the recap now that it is available, so everything has a write-up attached now.

SDFS
October 5th, 2014, 08:13 AM
yep, thanks sup.

interesting week. I had one of those old school legendary high school football coaches (RIP) and I remember he always used to say that every season you'd have two games you play above your head, two games where you play much worse than you really are and the rest of the time you play like the team you really are. If you could win the games where you don't play up to expectations, you were in line for a potentially great season. That's why I'm not of the mindset to penalize any team who has a close conference win, even if it was against someone they were supposed to coast against. Now, if they start to have a pattern of games like that, it's different. Does that make sense? Interested if others have a different take.

again, thanks sup

The coached I played for said the same thing and I absolutely agree with your statement.

MR. CHICKEN
October 5th, 2014, 09:11 AM
yep, thanks sup.

again, thanks sup

19790.....EGG-ZAKLAH.......FINALLY...UH VOICE O' REASON....DUH CHICKEN JES' SHAKES HIS....COMB & WATTLES.....AT HOW....SOME POLL VOTERS R QUIK TA DROP....UH TEAM FO' UH CLOSE WIN...WHEN YA KNOW PRETTY MUCH...EVERAH SQWAD WILL HAVE SOME CLOSE SHAVES...DURIN' DUH SEASON....HEY EVEN DUH BIZONS.....GET NERVOUS...xnodx...COCK-UH-DOODLE-DOO!

UNH Fanboi
October 5th, 2014, 09:29 AM
19790.....EGG-ZAKLAH.......FINALLY...UH VOICE O' REASON....DUH CHICKEN JES' SHAKES HIS....COMB & WATTLES.....AT HOW....SOME POLL VOTERS R QUIK TA DROP....UH TEAM FO' UH CLOSE WIN...WHEN YA KNOW PRETTY MUCH...EVERAH SQWAD WILL HAVE SOME CLOSE SHAVES...DURIN' DUH SEASON....HEY EVEN DUH BIZONS.....GET NERVOUS...xnodx...COCK-UH-DOODLE-DOO!

All teams have off weeks and close games, but a close win against a bad team is certainly something that should be taken into account when ranking a team. You shouldn't necessarily drop a team drastically for a close win, but if there are other teams with similar resumes but more convincing wins, then maybe they should be moved ahead of the team with the close win. I don't believe in refusing to move teams down in polls until they lose. They goal of a poll should be to take all available information--including margin of victory and SOS--and rank the best 25 teams in order, not blindly move teams up and down from their preseason ranking as they win and lose. If there were another team that looked dominant so far, then they might deserve to be ranked ahead of NDSU right now. But since nobody else has really stepped up, and NDSU has overall still looked very good, I think they deserve to retain the #1 spot.

superman7515
October 5th, 2014, 03:45 PM
Bumping this back to page one for folks who are voting.

marenlee
October 5th, 2014, 04:20 PM
It's funny that the FCS top 10 nearly ended up like the FBS top 10 this weekend. Except the FCS teams managed to pull it together for the most part.

citdog
October 5th, 2014, 07:08 PM
yep, thanks sup.

again, thanks sup

The nec teams fit in. Outside the Top 25 is where they fit.

rokamortis
October 5th, 2014, 11:35 PM

New world order

BlueHenSinfonian
October 5th, 2014, 11:37 PM

Bryant is worth looking at. Quality wins over Maine, Stony Brook, and Bucknell.