PDA

View Full Version : I-A contracts with I-AA teams

Ol Blue
November 6th, 2006, 07:01 AM
A couple of days ago I read a comment that stated that a I-AA team had a contract with a I-A team that paid different amounts for losing than winning. The statement was somthing like "If we lose we get X amount of dollars, if we win we get travel expenses only."

I was wondering if anyone knew of these kind of contracts and would like to comment on them....I'm curious.:eyebrow:

Husky Alum
November 6th, 2006, 09:15 AM
I think if the NCAA got wind of that they'd overturn it in a second. I can't see it being true.

Also, if I'm an alum of the I-AA school that signed it, I'd ask for the resignation of the AD right away. That's a total conflict of interest.

mcveyrl
November 6th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Also, if I'm an alum of the I-AA school that signed it, I'd ask for the resignation of the AD right away. That's a total conflict of interest.

No kidding. That definitely smacks of the "Major League" movie scheme!

ysubigred
November 6th, 2006, 10:48 AM
No way! When teams like Ohio State, Penn State, LSU, USC etc......... sign up 1AA teams they pretty much guarantee their team a "W" just by being a superior team. BUT, teams like Akron, Kent etc... who sign up 1AA's for a $$ game and take their lumps need to pay the man :)

Ol Blue
November 6th, 2006, 12:02 PM
The pay is usually in consideration for not having to schedule an away game at the I-AA school, which makes sense. The I-A school will have a big gate that the I-AA school would be unable to match. The money should not be in consideration for being an easy win.

The good thing about the I-A and I-AA schedules is that it will bring attention to the smaller school and challenge the I-AA to become more competitive throughout.

My guess is, if done correctly, the interest in college football will grow as more teams are added to the public perception....more t.v coverage, etc.

The contracts I've mentioned above would short circuit the process and make both divisions a joke.

Ol Blue
November 6th, 2006, 12:05 PM
The pay is usually in consideration for not having to schedule an away game at the I-AA school, which makes sense. The I-A school will have a big gate that the I-AA school would be unable to match. The money should not be in consideration for being an easy win.

The good thing about the I-A and I-AA schedules is that it will bring attention to the smaller school and challenge the I-AA to become more competitive throughout.

My guess is, if done correctly, the interest in college football will grow as more teams are added to the public perception....more t.v coverage, etc.

The contracts I mentioned in the original post would short circuit the process and make both divisions a joke.