PDA

View Full Version : Will North Dakota State Go Undefeated?

superman7515
October 4th, 2014, 08:35 PM
Is it unreasonable for me to question if the Bison will finish the season undefeated in MVFC play? Western Illinois was the only MVFC team that did not receive a vote in the last AGS poll and NDSU needed a 4th quarter rally on the road to win. Caveat, it's not like they were down by any large number and it was on the road, but as difficult as it is for any team to go undefeated in a season, the law of averages eventually catches up to you and every streak ends; NDSU's last loss was to Indiana State on 10/13/2012. They could still very well win the NC at the very end, not saying they are somehow not a contender or anything like that, but it does look like everyone in the Valley is dangerous. Will someone in the MVFC end the winning streak before the playoffs start?

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 4th, 2014, 08:40 PM
If the offense cannot curb the mistakes then the streak will end fairly soon.

3 turnovers and numerous drive killing penalties will not get it done. I think they will get the offensive 'kinks' worked out but it sure gives us fans some grey hair.

BisonFan02
October 4th, 2014, 08:41 PM
No, but the loss (or losses) need to be in the conference play and not postseason. :D

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 4th, 2014, 08:41 PM
I don't see them going undefeated. The MVFC if too good and the Bison definitely aren't at their '12 or '13 level....

I'm also starting to warm up to the idea of Villanova being #1. The Wildcats have been extremely impressive this season. They have a huge game in two weeks when the travel to W&M....

centennial
October 4th, 2014, 08:42 PM
Good probability. Team is good enough play calling needs to be better. To be fair WIU could probably be a playoff team outside of MVFC, CAA and maybe the BSC.

superman7515
October 4th, 2014, 08:45 PM
Team is good enough play calling needs to be better. To be fair WIU could probably be a playoff team outside of MVFC, CAA and maybe the BSC.

That kind of speaks to what has me questioning it. I'm not discounting NDSU at all, just get the feeling that even the "bottom" the Valley barrel can push many teams to the very end, so it would be difficult for anyone to come out unscathed.

Daved
October 4th, 2014, 08:47 PM
Nope---but chances are if they do lose one it won't be in the playoffs

skinny_uncle
October 4th, 2014, 08:48 PM
The rest of the league is better this year so it will be tougher to do this year than last. I don't see any doormats out there.

Bisonoline
October 4th, 2014, 08:49 PM
It wouldnt surprise me to drop one or two games with the way the o-line and d-line is playing. They have a lot of work to do.

Green1
October 4th, 2014, 08:49 PM
That kind of speaks to what has me questioning it. I'm not discounting NDSU at all, just get the feeling that even the "bottom" the Valley barrel can push many teams to the very end, so it would be difficult for anyone to come out unscathed.

UNI vs. Indiana St. Final score would be exhibit #1 for your argument.

RabidRabbit
October 4th, 2014, 08:53 PM
There's a whole another thread about how good the MVFC is this season. As WIU, who is still likely to be a doormat at the end of MVFC play, demonstrated today, there is a very low difference top to bottom in the Valley this season.

superman7515
October 4th, 2014, 08:54 PM

Eh, I already had Indiana State higher than UNI. Indiana State already had an FBS win and a win against a Top 25 team, neither of which UNI could claim.

Now I did have South Dakota State ranked above Illinois State, and they were farther apart on the AGS poll than UNI/Indiana St, so who knows.

skinny_uncle
October 4th, 2014, 08:57 PM
Eh, I already had Indiana State higher than UNI. Indiana State already had an FBS win and a win against a Top 25 team, neither of which UNI could claim.

Now I did have South Dakota State ranked above Illinois State, and they were farther apart on the AGS poll than UNI/Indiana St, so who knows.

There is a reason I never put any money on a Valley game.

IBleedYellow
October 4th, 2014, 08:58 PM
I'd like to see it, but I honestly think we have 1 or 2 loses on our schedule still. Most likely it will be a home game, too (I'm looking at you, Indiana State.) NDSU hasn't lost on the road since 2010 @ Eastern Washington, and I feel that road win streak won't die until next year when we play Montana @ WA Griz.

Red & Black
October 4th, 2014, 09:00 PM
I'd be suprised if they lost another game until playoff time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skinny_uncle
October 4th, 2014, 09:01 PM

I'll be surprised if they don't.

IBleedYellow
October 4th, 2014, 09:02 PM

This is opposite of what I'd say. We probably will lose a game before playoffs, then depending upon who will get drawn, we may not lose in the playoffs. The Valley teams will be harder than almost everyone other than Villanova.

Professor Chaos
October 4th, 2014, 09:03 PM
Nope, this team isn't nearly as balanced as last year's squad. The thing that made the 2013 Bison so good was they could struggle at a particular aspect of the game but they were good enough in all facets to cover up for that and expose weaknesses on the other side no matter where they were. This year, to this point at least, the offense really struggles to score against teams that can stop the run. They can pass the ball well until the field shrinks inside the red zone and the lack of a consistent run game forces them to settle for FGs.

Defensively, there were some serious holes up the middle in the run defense today against WIU. I tend to think those are more of a correctable mistake than the offensive deficiencies in the red zone but I highly doubt this year's NDSU squad will make it through the conference schedule unscathed with the inconsistent play we've seen on both sides of the ball to this point.

Lehigh'98
October 4th, 2014, 09:04 PM

Yes, UNI gave ISUb all they could handle today.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 4th, 2014, 09:05 PM
If the offense cuts down on the mistakes and plays more consistently, they could run the table. The defense is very good. They game up some big runs but still only gave up 10 points.

If they lose, it will not be against another team from outside the Valley that is not use to the style of play.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 4th, 2014, 09:07 PM
Nope, this team isn't nearly as balanced as last year's squad. The thing that made the 2013 Bison so good was they could struggle at a particular aspect of the game but they were good enough in all facets to cover up for that and expose weaknesses on the other side no matter where they were. This year, to this point at least, the offense really struggles to score against teams that can stop the run. They can pass the ball well until the field shrinks inside the red zone and the lack of a consistent run game forces them to settle for FGs.

Defensively, there were some serious holes up the middle in the run defense today against WIU. I tend to think those are more of a correctable mistake than the offensive deficiencies in the red zone but I highly doubt this year's NDSU squad will make it through the conference schedule unscathed with the inconsistent play we've seen on both sides of the ball to this point.

Esley missed quite a few gaps assignments in his reads. He got blown up a lot.

penguinpower
October 4th, 2014, 09:07 PM

I saw some vulnerability in them when they played Montana. Montana didn't have the linemen needed to beat them but some of the valley teams do. The thing about NDSU is that they tend to get those things fixed by the end of the season. Unfortunately for YSU we tend to face them right before playoff time and they are finely tuned by then. I agree with your observation. I think that they can definitely lose 1 or 2 Valley games this year, but I don't know who could get through unscathed either.

Red & Black
October 4th, 2014, 09:09 PM
This is opposite of what I'd say. We probably will lose a game before playoffs, then depending upon who will get drawn, we may not lose in the playoffs. The Valley teams will be harder than almost everyone other than Villanova.

Perhaps. Big Sky is way down this year and the CAA seems to only have 1-2 good teams as well. I still don't see anyone in the Valley beating NDSU this year. I think the WIU game was a bit of anomaly.

Drblankstare
October 4th, 2014, 09:09 PM
No the Valley is too good this year. A loss isn't the worst thing for this team either

SIUSalukiFan
October 4th, 2014, 09:11 PM
I'm not sure about the rest of the Valley but there is no way in hell SIU can win at Fargo next week.

IBleedYellow
October 4th, 2014, 09:13 PM
Perhaps. Big Sky is way down this year and the CAA seems to only have 1-2 good teams as well. I still don't see anyone in the Valley beating NDSU this year. I think the WIU game was a bit of anomaly.

Oh, I see what you're saying. I can understand why you'd say it that way, but I still think we are too vulnerable on offense currently where teams can almost make us one dimensional.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure about the rest of the Valley but there is no way in hell SIU can win at Fargo next week.

I'm already scared ****less about this game....

frozennorth
October 4th, 2014, 09:13 PM
seriously? I'm working under the assumption the streak ends next week

FargoBison
October 4th, 2014, 09:15 PM

The Dome has not been a good place for SIU. Even the Mertens led Bison team beat them there.

SIUSalukiFan
October 4th, 2014, 09:16 PM

NDSU's streak will continue. SIU can't beat the Bison anywhere.

skinny_uncle
October 4th, 2014, 09:32 PM
The Dome has not been a good place for SIU. Even the Mertens led Bison team beat them there.

We are 0-3 against the Bison in Fargo. The last time we beat them was 2009 in Carbondale.

SIUSalukiFan
October 4th, 2014, 09:37 PM
Oh, God! It's NDSU's Homecoming, too? The Bison will win by 30.

Bisonator
October 4th, 2014, 09:40 PM
Skinny dogs are doing a lot of sand bagging........

To answer the thread title, no very doubtful at this point. NDSU has not shown a dominance to be undefeated and there are too many good teams in the Valley to think anyone runs the table this year.

BisonFan02
October 4th, 2014, 09:40 PM
Do the Bison play McNeese next weekend or what? That tailgate is going to be awesome.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 4th, 2014, 09:41 PM

My thoughts also!!

SIUSalukiFan
October 4th, 2014, 09:41 PM
Skinny dogs are doing a lot of sand bagging........

I'm not familiar with that term.

BisonFan02
October 4th, 2014, 09:43 PM
I'm not familiar with that term.

FIFY

Egyptian, child eating dogs are doing a lot of sand bagging........

SIUSalukiFan
October 4th, 2014, 09:44 PM
FIFY

xlolx

dewey
October 4th, 2014, 09:57 PM
Like others have said right now the play calling is questionable, the penalties are killing them and each team puts more effort into trying to dethrone the three time defending National Champions than they probably do against most teams. However this team always finds a way to win and they believe they will find a way to win in each game.

Like others have said the 2013 NDSU team was unbelievably good at all aspects and still they struggled in a few conference games. I think they will lose a game along the way but I don't think it is next week. NDSU will be pretty fired up to take on a highly ranked Southern Illinois team for homecoming.

SIU had better have 8 or 9 guys in the box each time or NDSU will shove the ball down the skinny dogs throats like last year.

My early thought is NDSU 24-7 over SIU.

Dewey

skinny_uncle
October 4th, 2014, 09:57 PM
At least the Egyptian Dawgs are in first place in the Valley for one more week.

Houndawg
October 4th, 2014, 10:02 PM
Good probability. Team is good enough play calling needs to be better. To be fair WIU could probably be a playoff team outside of MVFC, CAA and maybe the BSC.

I said last week after WIU played SIU that WIU was not a bad team and I still believe that.

SIUSalukiFan
October 4th, 2014, 10:02 PM

That will be a nice note in the media guide next year.

The party ends in Fargo, though. Can we just forfeit and try to prepare for Youngstown State?

Houndawg
October 4th, 2014, 10:05 PM

I think everybody in the MVC will have a conference loss because its so hard to keep the emotion up and the MVC is deep enough that you will have a hard time winning without high emotion.

- - - Updated - - -

I think everybody in the MVC will have a conference loss because its so hard to keep the emotion up and the MVC is deep enough that you will have a hard time winning without high emotion.

BisonFan02
October 4th, 2014, 10:11 PM

The party ends in Fargo, though. Can we just forfeit and try to prepare for Youngstown State?

Would you guys stop acting like wet blankets! xlolx or is this our MVFC "pat each other on the back" time. :D

skinny_uncle
October 4th, 2014, 10:14 PM
The boys are just yanking your chain a bit, BisonFan02 (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/member.php?39134-BisonFan02) . Don't get bent.

SIUSalukiFan
October 4th, 2014, 10:14 PM
Would you guys stop acting like wet blankets! xlolx or is this our MVFC "pat each other on the back" time. :D

We're just conceding the obvious outcome. SIU is not in NDSU's class.

I think we can still make the playoffs, though, after losing to the Bison. I just pray we are in the opposite bracket.

Houndawg
October 4th, 2014, 10:15 PM
Like others have said right now the play calling is questionable, the penalties are killing them and each team puts more effort into trying to dethrone the three time defending National Champions than they probably do against most teams. However this team always finds a way to win and they believe they will find a way to win in each game.

Like others have said the 2013 NDSU team was unbelievably good at all aspects and still they struggled in a few conference games. I think they will lose a game along the way but I don't think it is next week. NDSU will be pretty fired up to take on a highly ranked Southern Illinois team for homecoming.

SIU had better have 8 or 9 guys in the box each time or NDSU will shove the ball down the skinny dogs throats like last year.

My early thought is NDSU 24-7 over SIU.

Dewey

If it's only 24-7 it will be a moral victory for the dawgs.

SIUSalukiFan
October 4th, 2014, 10:16 PM

Exactly.

skinny_uncle
October 4th, 2014, 10:18 PM

Quick.
Take a picture.
Missouri Valley Standings

TEAM
CONF
OVERALL

Southern Illinois (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/79/southern-illinois-salukis)
2-0
5-1

North Dakota State (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2449/north-dakota-state-bison)
1-0
5-0

Illinois State (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2287/illinois-state-redbirds)
1-0
4-0

Indiana State (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/282/indiana-state-sycamores)
1-0
4-1

Youngstown State (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2754/youngstown-state-penguins)
1-0
4-1

Missouri State (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2623/missouri-state-bears)
0-1
3-2

South Dakota State (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2571/south-dakota-state-jackrabbits)
0-1
3-2

Northern Iowa (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2460/northern-iowa-panthers)
0-1
2-3

South Dakota (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/233/south-dakota-coyotes)
0-1
2-3

Western Illinois (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2710/western-illinois-leathernecks)
0-2
2-4

BisonFan02
October 4th, 2014, 10:18 PM
The boys are just yanking your chain a bit, BisonFan02 (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/member.php?39134-BisonFan02) . Don't get bent.

We're just conceding the obvious outcome. SIU is not in NDSU's class.

I think we can still make the playoffs, though, after losing to the Bison. I just pray we are in the opposite bracket.

Exactly.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/54845543.jpg

SIUSalukiFan
October 4th, 2014, 10:22 PM
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/54845543.jpg

If he can play QB or LB or DB you are exactly right!

Lehigh'98
October 4th, 2014, 10:24 PM
If he can play QB or LB or DB you are exactly right!

Jesus is useless in the Fargodome. He can't audible due to crowd noise.

skinny_uncle
October 4th, 2014, 10:27 PM

You are from LeHigh. What do you know about football?

Lehigh'98
October 4th, 2014, 10:29 PM
You are from LeHigh. What do you know about football?

I know nothing. We have cancelled our season this year so we can focus on the MVFC meat grinder games...

SIUSalukiFan
October 4th, 2014, 10:30 PM

Exactly.

Sycamore62
October 4th, 2014, 10:54 PM
Didn't read the whole thread but college football has so many trap games. Some days every bounce goes the other way

BisonFan02
October 4th, 2014, 10:57 PM
I know nothing. We have cancelled our season this year so we can focus on the MVFC meat grinder games...

You guys have 1 game this year that is probably a MUST win....otherwise, Pard fans will probably never let you hear the end of it. xlolx

superman7515
October 4th, 2014, 10:59 PM
At least not for the next 50 years.

GoAgs72
October 5th, 2014, 12:35 AM
I think several Big Sky teams could threaten the Bison if the Wizard of Oz grants their wish of having a defense.

skinny_uncle
October 5th, 2014, 12:55 AM

Our next 6 games are against ranked teams. You have a better name than "the meat-grinder"?

Vitojr130
October 5th, 2014, 04:31 AM
Is it unreasonable for me to question if the Bison will finish the season undefeated in MVFC play? Western Illinois was the only MVFC team that did not receive a vote in the last AGS poll and NDSU needed a 4th quarter rally on the road to win. Caveat, it's not like they were down by any large number and it was on the road, but as difficult as it is for any team to go undefeated in a season, the law of averages eventually catches up to you and every streak ends; NDSU's last loss was to Indiana State on 10/13/2012. They could still very well win the NC at the very end, not saying they are somehow not a contender or anything like that, but it does look like everyone in the Valley is dangerous. Will someone in the MVFC end the winning streak before the playoffs start?

Honestly, it would not be shocking if they did lose a game or two. Everyone was expecting it going into the season. I'm more shocked that they have got through the first 5 games generally intact and undefeated. The valley is a tough conference and I still think we lose a game or two. Heck, Missouri St., a team that is traditionally bottom-half of the MVFC, ALWAYS gives us fits simply due to their scheming and play-calling style.

tl; dr; Yeah, most of us aren't completely delusional and believe NDSU will lose a game or two in the valley. However, we will still make the playoffs and have a deep run

darell1976
October 5th, 2014, 05:49 AM
I think several Big Sky teams could threaten the Bison if the Wizard of Oz grants their wish of having a defense.

September 2015, UND will try to make it 5-1 in the Alerus Center South.

X-Factor
October 5th, 2014, 05:58 AM
Our next 6 games are against ranked teams. You have a better name than "the meat-grinder"?
I have to agree, that phrase doesn't do enough justice :eek:

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 5th, 2014, 06:58 AM
September 2015, UND will try to make it 5-1 in the Alerus Center South.

I'll take 8 D2 titles and 3 FCS titles over a winning record vs UND in the FD any day.

Back on topic: The Bison won ugly yesterday. Good teams find ways to win. They are going to get everyone's best effort every Saturday.....good! The sky is not falling down for this team.

EWU gave up 614 yards and 53 points, is the sky falling for them?
Montana State gave up 694 yards and 56 points, is the sky falling for them?

Both won by 3 points.

Yes, the Bison could lose a game or two or three possibly but they could also run the table very easily. If they minimize their penalties for once on offense....look out. I suspect they will play like they did against Iowa State the rest of the year and they will be fine.

Lehigh'98
October 5th, 2014, 07:00 AM

Agreed, meat grinder is weak. I was quoting Bison. SIU will be walking through the shadow of the valley of death. Godspeed!!

semobison
October 5th, 2014, 09:25 AM
I will be happy as hell if we can get through conference play 7-1, battle tested and ready for a couple easy games in the first two rounds of the playoffs!!

centennial
October 5th, 2014, 09:54 AM
Agreed, meat grinder is weak. I was quoting Bison. SIU will be walking through the shadow of the valley of death. Godspeed!!
I would take WIU and SD over Fordham and Lehigh. And they are the bottom of the league.

Lehigh'98
October 5th, 2014, 09:59 AM
I would take WIU and SD over Fordham and Lehigh. And they are the bottom of the league.

I'm not being sarcastic here. I don't think Fordham could beat most teams in the Valley this year. Rest of the PL, not a prayer this year. We stink!! In fact, the reason I am spending so much time following the MVFC this year is because Lehigh is awful. Just having a little fun.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 5th, 2014, 09:59 AM
Will they? Maybe

Can they? Yes.

centennial
October 5th, 2014, 10:03 AM
I'm not being sarcastic here. I don't think Fordham could beat most teams in the Valley this year. Rest of the PL, not a prayer this year. We stink!! In fact, the reason I am spending so much time following the MVFC this year is because Lehigh is awful. Just having a little fun.
Fordam would be ranked 7-8th in the Valley depending on where you look. I would doubt they get more than 3, and that is giving them a lot of respect. The valley is rated higher than MAC, CUSA and Slumbelt.. right along with Mountain West.

Lehigh'98
October 5th, 2014, 10:06 AM
Fordam would be ranked 7-8th in the Valley depending on where you look. I would doubt they get more than 3, and that is giving them a lot of respect. The valley is rated higher than MAC, CUSA and Slumbelt.. right along with Mountain West.

Fordham has the talent to score points on some Valley teams. I'm not sure that would translate into wins against most of them though. Agreed it is most likely the best Valley season ever. Really suprised how strong the ISU's are. SIU too.

centennial
October 5th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Fordham has the talent to score points on some Valley teams. I'm not sure that would translate into wins against most of them though. Agreed it is most likely the best Valley season ever. Really suprised how strong the ISU's are. SIU too.
There isn't a lot after the Big 10 in the upper Midwest. MAC is more eastern and they don't win all the recruiting battles against us. Like the CAA the valley could also translate to an okay FBS if the schools make an investment.

Gil Dobie
October 5th, 2014, 10:20 AM
At the beginning of the year, many Bison fans had them marked down as a 2-3 loss team. That was before the Iowa St game. I just hope the Bison can survive the MVFC and make the playoffs. If they lose a game or two, that's okay, but if loss number 3 or 4 come up, the playoffs are in danger.

AmsterBison
October 5th, 2014, 10:28 AM

I've seen too many games in which NDSU plays like horse crap at Homecoming to think that NDSU gets much of a bump from that. NDSU had their 36-game unbeaten streak end on Homecoming. For another, NDSU is 53-37-3 (.586) in Homecoming games which might be good for some programs, but is considerably worse than NDSU's overall winning percentage (.629) and is much worse than NDSU's home win percentage (.728.) Basically, NDSU performs worse on Homecoming than any other home game.

No idea why this is. Many years, Homecoming is amateur hour in the stands though with fans making noise when NDSU is on offense or not making any noise if the game is closer than they'd like. It's kind of like a bar on New Year's Eve.

skinny_uncle
October 5th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Honestly, it would not be shocking if they did lose a game or two. Everyone was expecting it going into the season. I'm more shocked that they have got through the first 5 games generally intact and undefeated. The valley is a tough conference and I still think we lose a game or two. Heck, Missouri St., a team that is traditionally bottom-half of the MVFC, ALWAYS gives us fits simply due to their scheming and play-calling style.

tl; dr; Yeah, most of us aren't completely delusional and believe NDSU will lose a game or two in the valley. However, we will still make the playoffs and have a deep run

Playing in the Valley is pretty good prep for the playoffs.

semobison
October 5th, 2014, 10:42 AM
At the beginning of the year, many Bison fans had them marked down as a 2-3 loss team. That was before the Iowa St game. I just hope the Bison can survive the MVFC and make the playoffs. If they lose a game or two, that's okay, but if loss number 3 or 4 come up, the playoffs are in danger.

I agree! There will be very few easy saturdays in conference play this year.

IBleedYellow
October 5th, 2014, 10:50 AM
I've seen too many games in which NDSU plays like horse crap at Homecoming to think that NDSU gets much of a bump from that. NDSU had their 36-game unbeaten streak end on Homecoming. For another, NDSU is 53-37-3 (.586) in Homecoming games which might be good for some programs, but is considerably worse than NDSU's overall winning percentage (.629) and is much worse than NDSU's home win percentage (.728.) Basically, NDSU performs worse on Homecoming than any other home game.

No idea why this is. Many years, Homecoming is amateur hour in the stands though with fans making noise when NDSU is on offense or not making any noise if the game is closer than they'd like. It's kind of like a bar on New Year's Eve.

This. Homecoming is such a frustrating game because the fans that are only there because it's homecoming show up from no where. Just irritating as can be.

SIUSalukiFan
October 5th, 2014, 11:35 AM

Your Homecoming winning percentage will go up on Saturday. Book it.

Ivytalk
October 5th, 2014, 11:49 AM
No. NDSU will manage to drop a steaming bison deuce along the way somewhere.

AmsterBison
October 5th, 2014, 11:57 AM
Your Homecoming winning percentage will go up on Saturday. Book it.

hahaha! They could use your sandbagging skills in Fargo when the next flood comes.

BisonBacker
October 5th, 2014, 12:03 PM

NDSU will not go undefeated. We are going to be everyone's Superbowl and no this isn't an excuse it's a fact. There are several facets of this team that haven't been replaced from last years team. Specifically the following 2 on offense are huge.

1. We lost Ryan Smith who was Brock Jensens go to guy when we needed yardarge (especially 3rd down conversions). Carson doesn't have that guy yet. Vraa might be but he's out with injury right now and we didn't have him yesterday for a large portion of the game.
2. Oh Billy Turner we miss you. Yesterday WIU stacked the box and made Carson and NDSU a one dimensional team which nobody has done for a long time. Years past when he ran power more often than not it was to the left behind big number 77 billy turner. Billy is now playing for the Miami Dolphins. You don't find a Billy Turner at this level very often. He was dominant. Yesterday we could have used someone on our offensive line who could pancake his guy and get to the next level blocking for his running backs. We got stuffed. Every team in the FCS will have that game tape and watch how you shut down NDSU's run game. If we can't get that fixed not only will we not go undefeated we may very well have several in the "L" column.

I'm not saying it's the end of the world for NDSU but to expect any team to go undefeated is pretty much asking for the moon at any level of play. Just look at how many top ten teams in the FBS went down yesterday. It's tough to get to the top let alone stay at the top. NDSU has been doing it for 3+ years. Eventually the odds are going to catch up with you.

Lastly congratulations to Western Illinois. They have a hell of a defense. You can't just knock NDSU for not crushing them they are a good team "defensively" anyway. Offensively if they can get it on track they are going to be a tough out for any team in the valley.

BisonBacker
October 5th, 2014, 12:05 PM
One last thing to add to my last comment. We got WIU's best shot and we didn't play well (credit WIU) but how many teams have 3 turnovers and don't play well in general and still come away with a "W"?

penguinpower
October 5th, 2014, 12:07 PM
One last thing to add to my last comment. We got WIU's best shot and we didn't play well (credit WIU) but how many teams have 3 turnovers and don't play well in general and still come away with a "W"?

Youngstown did the same yesterday. Three turnovers, a blocked punt, a missed field goal, and a TD called back on a penalty that had nothing to do with the play.

SeattleBobcat
October 5th, 2014, 12:08 PM
I'll take 8 D2 titles and 3 FCS titles over a winning record vs UND in the FD any day.

Back on topic: The Bison won ugly yesterday. Good teams find ways to win. They are going to get everyone's best effort every Saturday.....good! The sky is not falling down for this team.

EWU gave up 614 yards and 53 points, is the sky falling for them?
Montana State gave up 694 yards and 56 points, is the sky falling for them?

Both won by 3 points.

Yes, the Bison could lose a game or two or three possibly but they could also run the table very easily. If they minimize their penalties for once on offense....look out. I suspect they will play like they did against Iowa State the rest of the year and they will be fine.

The "Sky" is definitely not falling for any of those teams, but they all have glaring weakness that will probably be a dagger to the heart once the playoffs commence.

EWU and MSU have the same knock, awful defenses, but both of their offenses are extremely explosive.

NDSU this year still has a stellar defense, perhaps the best in the FCS, but their offense is nowhere near as good as it has been in the past 3 years.

I could see any of these 3 making it to the final this year but I don't think they Win. In my mind Villinova has a complete package right now. I don't see them losing another regular season game or a playoff game for that matter.

Twentysix
October 5th, 2014, 12:37 PM

Honestly, I think a 9-3 NDSU is still seeded. 8-4 is still in. The precedent was set by SHSU. The three time defending national champion is being put in the playoffs, if we lose 6 games then we won't make it. 1 2 3 4 losses, I gurantee we make it no matter what the rest of the field looks like, 5 losses and we might STILL make it.

I think its pretty realistic a 10-2 NDSU still takes a top 2 seed. Again, precedent set by the committee when they gave 7 win SHSU a bye.

NDSU's 3 time repeat championships will be weighted into NDSU's overall record and NDSU's ability to generate $$$ in both FCS championship tickets and FCS playoff tickets. Is it fair? No. Will it happen? Yes.

Twentysix
October 5th, 2014, 12:42 PM
The next question everyone in this thread should ask themselves, what does the committee do if NDSU and ISUr are both undefeated come playoff selection time?

SIUSalukiFan
October 5th, 2014, 12:54 PM
The next question everyone in this thread should ask themselves, what does the committee do if NDSU and ISUr are both undefeated come playoff selection time?

That's like wondering what your financial planner is going to suggest if you win the Powerball.

marenlee
October 5th, 2014, 01:01 PM
The "Sky" is definitely not falling for any of those teams, but they all have glaring weakness that will probably be a dagger to the heart once the playoffs commence.

EWU and MSU have the same knock, awful defenses, but both of their offenses are extremely explosive.

NDSU this year still has a stellar defense, perhaps the best in the FCS, but their offense is nowhere near as good as it has been in the past 3 years.

I could see any of these 3 making it to the final this year but I don't think they Win. In my mind Villinova has a complete package right now. I don't see them losing another regular season game or a playoff game for that matter.

If you take a look at the 2011 and 2012 seasons you could probably take that statement back. There were plenty of games where the offense laid an egg, but they still won and ended up in Frisco both years.

semobison
October 5th, 2014, 01:10 PM
If you take a look at the 2011 and 2012 seasons you could probably take that statement back. There were plenty of games where the offense laid an egg, but they still won and ended up in Frisco both years.

Yep, the 2011 and 2012 teams were no offensive jauggernaut. Defense won those titles, add a good offense and we go undefeated in 2013!

Twentysix
October 5th, 2014, 01:11 PM
That's like wondering what your financial planner is going to suggest if you win the Powerball.

Isn't that the point of a forum full of armchair quarterbacks?

semobison
October 5th, 2014, 01:15 PM

The biggest turnover of the game was when WIU fumbled on our 10 yard line so the turnovers were basicly a wash! WIU can stop the run, give them credit. We got touchdowns our last two possessions when we needed them, give us credit!

SIUSalukiFan
October 5th, 2014, 01:16 PM

That really doesn't matter. NDSU just knows how to win ****ing football games. Take the last three matchups against Southern Illinois ...

2011 - In Carbondale, SIU held NDSU without a first down until LATE IN THE THIRD QUARTER before the Bison used a flea-flicker to set up the game-tying FG, then used an interception at the 50-yard line to score its lone TD of the day. Final score - NDSU 9, SIU 3.

2012 - In Fargo, SIU controlled the first three quarters of the game and led, 17-10, heading into the final 15 minutes but NDSU punched in two TDs - the last with five minutes to play. Final score - NDSU 23, SIU 17.

2013 - In Carbondale, SIU led, 10-7, at halftime, took the second-half kick and was driving for another score when Saluki QB Kory Faulkner injured his hand (he would wind up missing the rest of the season due to the injury). That drive ended in a missed SIU FG, then NDSU went crazy - scoring 21 points in the quarter. Final score - NDSU 31, SIU 10.

SIU was in position to win all three of those games yet wound up losing all three, and NDSU won the national championship in all three of those years.

The Bison are like Auburn was when Cam Newton was a senior - they can control any game they are in and always find a way to get the job done.

Until somebody thumps its ass the demise of NDSU is greatly exaggerated.

SIUSalukiFan
October 5th, 2014, 01:17 PM
Isn't that the point of a forum full of armchair quarterbacks?

No. :)

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 5th, 2014, 02:06 PM

I'll take it. A win is a win.

Polasek is learning how to call a good game, he will get better. What I want to see now for the SIU game is some WRs step up and make some plays. Looks like the true FR RJ is going to be Carson's go to guy now that Vraa is injured. There is a reason he got his RS pulled.....our WR corp is not too good outside of Vraa. Hopefully they use the TEs more now.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 5th, 2014, 02:08 PM
Will they? Maybe

Can they? Yes.

This here.

For all of the bitching about our play, the Bison are 5-0!

BisonBacker
October 5th, 2014, 04:28 PM
What part of give WIU credit didn't you understand?

ST_Lawson
October 5th, 2014, 05:21 PM
The biggest turnover of the game was when WIU fumbled on our 10 yard line so the turnovers were basicly a wash! WIU can stop the run, give them credit. We got touchdowns our last two possessions when we needed them, give us credit!

Yup, we seem to do really well on the ground on both sides of the ball (Baker had a career high 175 yards, and a TD...held Crockett to 79 yards when many people were predicting 150+). In the air...not so much (we gave up 256 passing yards and only had 68 yards ourselves). We also seem to have trouble going the full 4 quarters...2, maybe 3 quarters tops, then we just seem to give up. The better team won the game because they kept playing until the end. We're getting a lot better (even though our record may not show it this season because of how amazingly good the conference is), but I feel like we're maybe 1 year away from being really good again.

semobison
October 5th, 2014, 06:13 PM
This here.

For all of the bitching about our play, the Bison are 5-0!

You call it bitching, some of us call it giving credit to an opponent or constructive criticism!

NoDak 4 Ever
October 5th, 2014, 06:17 PM
You call it bitching, some of us call it giving credit to an opponent or constructive criticism!

Oh no, we have been doing a LOT of bitching.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 5th, 2014, 06:19 PM

I did give credit to WIU, they played a very good defensive game. My comment entails the message board fans and the complaining that we are not beating teams by 20-30 points like last year. I should have defined it better but you assume what I said is not giving props to WIU.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 5th, 2014, 06:20 PM
What part of give WIU credit didn't you understand?

BB: I have given credit to WIU. There is a lot of bitching about our play. Our play has been inconsistent on offense and I have given credit to Montana and WIU on their defensive play.

Houndawg
October 6th, 2014, 07:38 AM
Playing in the Valley is pretty good prep for the playoffs.

For whoever is still walking when its over..