PDA

View Full Version : Montana at UND

FargoBison
October 4th, 2014, 04:25 PM
15-15 game and UND is driving in Montana territory. 3 minutes to play.

BisonFan02
October 4th, 2014, 04:26 PM
Here comes the FG......

FargoBison
October 4th, 2014, 04:27 PM
Here comes the FG......

True freshman kicker....should be interesting.

BisonFan02
October 4th, 2014, 04:28 PM
That may have been the worst kick I have ever seen......

FargoBison
October 4th, 2014, 04:28 PM
Wow blocked....Kick had no chance.

BisonFan02
October 4th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Oh boy.........can Montana kick?

FargoBison
October 4th, 2014, 04:30 PM
Oh boy.........can Montana kick?

Not very well...

- - - Updated - - -

Going to be a field goal for Montana to win.

FargoBison
October 4th, 2014, 04:31 PM
35 yard field goal for the win...Timeout UND....

BisonFan02
October 4th, 2014, 04:31 PM
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FargoBison
October 4th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Montana 18
UND 15 FINAL

centennial
October 4th, 2014, 04:33 PM
LMAO!

Grizalltheway
October 4th, 2014, 04:33 PM
Well that was ugly, but a win is a win.

Vitojr130
October 4th, 2014, 04:35 PM
Well that was ugly, but a win is a win.

No worries, that's what I'm hoping for with the Bison today. We look like a dumpster fire.

nodak651
October 4th, 2014, 04:48 PM
our kicker held the ball on its ****ing side after a poor snap... ****!

darell1976
October 4th, 2014, 04:52 PM
UND's offense still bad, defense is awesome, special teams needs work. We are getting close. Last year blown out against UM, MSU, and EWU, this year lost by 11 to MSU, 3 to UM and maybe we can catch EWU napping.

putter
October 4th, 2014, 04:52 PM
God that was tough to watch. Our coaches need to start understanding how hampered our Offensive personnel is and coach around that. Smashmouth football will not work with this crew this year.

aces1180
October 4th, 2014, 05:31 PM
Sorry about Montana's QB getting hurt on a cheap play...No class.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 4th, 2014, 05:40 PM
God that was tough to watch. Our coaches need to start understanding how hampered our Offensive personnel is and coach around that. Smashmouth football will not work with this crew this year.

It seems obvious to us and most other fans I chat with. Since we don't know 1/2 as much as the coaches do on these things I wonder what the answer is...really...cuz this just doesn't make sense to me.

darell1976
October 4th, 2014, 05:42 PM
No way that hit on Johnson was a cheap shot. Roughing the Passer for more than 2 or 3 steps yes, but the defenders knee hit the leg of the QB forcing his plant leg to come down awkwardly is far from a cheap shot.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 4th, 2014, 05:51 PM
No way that hit on Johnson was a cheap shot. Roughing the Passer for more than 2 or 3 steps yes, but the defenders knee hit the leg of the QB forcing his plant leg to come down awkwardly is far from a cheap shot.

Agree with you darrel but the case can be made that the if the roughing hadn't happened the injury wouldn't have happened. I won't make that case because that defender was absolutely NOT trying to intentionally inflict injury there and it was just a freak play thing.

I will say though, UND is walking a very fine line here it seems with "attitude" and with the talent and good schemes you guys are running I am not sure why the "they gotta hate us" thing is being employed but if it works so be it. Just tough to respect when teams adopt that cuz it means your players (some) are going out of their way to be dicks and sometimes these things will be misconstrued as intentional and sooner or later they just become intentional.

aces1180
October 4th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Agree with you darrel but the case can be made that the if the roughing hadn't happened the injury wouldn't have happened. I won't make that case because that defender was absolutely NOT trying to intentionally inflict injury there and it was just a freak play thing.

I will say though, UND is walking a very fine line here it seems with "attitude" and with the talent and good schemes you guys are running I am not sure why the "they gotta hate us" thing is being employed but if it works so be it. Just tough to respect when teams adopt that cuz it means your players (some) are going out of their way to be dicks and sometimes these things will be misconstrued as intentional and sooner or later they just become intentional.

They had two cheap hits on Johnson in my opinion...And the one after the play was called dead and Montana got flagged on was ridiculous.

IBleedYellow
October 4th, 2014, 05:56 PM

Bisonoline has had many talks about this. UN_ is a team that would talk **** all day long even if we were kicking their ass. It's the culture up there.

darell1976
October 4th, 2014, 05:58 PM

Maybe its the attitude of being a laughing stock in the BSC (not to mention the FCS) in poor defense, now enter a defense with confidence, more talent, and better coaching. Yes the rough and tough "attitude" is getting to a point where they are taking stupid penalties and maybe Bubba will address that before the Portland State game. Last two opponents combined for 118 points last year, this year that total was 47, a hell of a turnaround. The fans can actually talk about how great our defense is playing, been a long time since we have done that.

darell1976
October 4th, 2014, 05:59 PM
Bisonoline has had many talks about this. UN_ is a team that would talk **** all day long even if we were kicking their ass. It's the culture up there.

Because the Bison would never do that.xsmhx

IBleedYellow
October 4th, 2014, 06:01 PM
Because the Bison would never do that.xsmhx

I will quote Bisonoline - "UNI was the team that was chippy, UND (you guys have a defense again, congrats) that would talk **** all game long and never do anything."

darell1976
October 4th, 2014, 06:03 PM
I will quote Bisonoline - "UNI was the team that was chippy, UND (you guys have a defense again, congrats) that would talk **** all game long and never do anything."

That was Muss's team. That team did **** when getting blown out. Bubba put the stop to that.

IBleedYellow
October 4th, 2014, 06:04 PM
That was Muss's team. That team did **** when getting blown out. Bubba put the stop to that.

Dude, BISONOLINE PLAYED IN THE '70s, your culture hasn't changed there in 40 years.

BisonFan02
October 4th, 2014, 06:04 PM

I can confirm that Muss was NOT the coach of the ______ when Bisonoline was in uniform. xlolx

darell1976
October 4th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Dude, BISONOLINE PLAYED IN THE '70s, your culture hasn't changed there in 40 years.
Thought you were talking about recently. Maybe Muss's dad was the coach.xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 4th, 2014, 06:08 PM
They had two cheap hits on Johnson in my opinion...And the one after the play was called dead and Montana got flagged on was ridiculous.

What happened?

Was JJ hit after the play? Cheap shot?

Screamin_Eagle174
October 4th, 2014, 06:09 PM
UND's offense still bad, defense is awesome, special teams needs work. We are getting close. Last year blown out against UM, MSU, and EWU, this year lost by 11 to MSU, 3 to UM and maybe we can catch EWU napping.

UND might slow us down, but that means we only score 30 or 40. UND doesn't have the firepower to score that much, even against our D.

darell1976
October 4th, 2014, 06:11 PM
What happened?

JJ through the ball and Ratell's knee hit JJ's leg (after the ball left, was called a roughing the passer) and JJ's foot came down awkwardly. No cheap shot!

- - - Updated - - -

UND might slow us down, but that means we only score 30 or 40. UND doesn't have the firepower to score that much, even against our D.

I give our offense maybe 10-20 points at most, our defense will have to play the best game of the year or it could end up like the UND-Missouri St game.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 4th, 2014, 06:11 PM
JJ through the ball and Ratell's knee hit JJ's leg (after the ball left, was called a roughing the passer) and JJ's foot came down awkwardly. No cheap shot!

oh, ok.....I didn't see the game but you have to give UND some credit for their defense. Looks lilke Bubba has really improved the defense.

IBleedYellow
October 4th, 2014, 06:18 PM
Like I said, I'm back to calling UND. They do actually have their D back.

darell1976
October 4th, 2014, 06:20 PM
Like I said, I'm back to calling UND. They do actually have their D back.

So are we called University _f N_rth Dak_ta? Since we have no O.

aces1180
October 4th, 2014, 06:20 PM
What happened?

He got hit twice after the whistle...One was called, the other was not...It knocked him out of the game.

Classless.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 4th, 2014, 06:30 PM

Don't disagree with you on that one at all. It was ridiculous. They were late hits but we all have those go against once in a while but it is the making that part of your game thing that would concern me were I a UND fan.

Green26
October 4th, 2014, 06:32 PM
oh, ok.....I didn't see the game but you have to give UND some credit for their defense. Looks lilke Bubba has really improved the defense.

What Darrel said is not accurate. The defender hit and pushed JJ late well after he had thrown the ball. The knee has little to do with the play; it was the push up high. Clearly a late hit. JJ's getting hurt on the play is why defenders aren't allowed to hit/push the qb well after the ball is thrown.

The worst missed call, and dirty play by ND, was when 2 defenders hit JJ hard after a delay of game penalty had been called. JJ just stopped, put his arms down, and stood there--and got clobbered. Then, the dumbass refs called a penalty on UM when a lineman gave a small push to one of the offending defenders who was still on the ground. Horrible missed call by the refs.

aces1180
October 4th, 2014, 06:34 PM
Don't disagree with you on that one at all. It was ridiculous. They were late hits but we all have those go against once in a while but it is the making that part of your game thing that would concern me were I a UND fan.

Yeah, it happens all the time...Both plays seemed malicious in this case, however.

- - - Updated - - -

What Darrel said is not accurate. The defender hit and pushed JJ late well after he had thrown the ball. The knee has little to do with the play; it was the push up high. Clearly a late hit. JJ's getting hurt on the play is why defenders aren't allowed to hit/push the qb well after the ball is thrown.

The worst missed call, and dirty play by ND, was when 2 defenders hit JJ hard after a delay of game penalty had been called. JJ just stopped, put his arms down, and stood there--and got clobbered. Then, the dumbass refs called a penalty on UM when a lineman gave a small push to one of the offending defenders who was still on the ground. Horrible missed call by the refs.

This is a much better description than I stated...and I agree 100%.

Green26
October 4th, 2014, 06:36 PM

Not accurate. The defender pushed JJ up high well after the throw. That is not allowed. The defender's knee barely hitting JJ had little or nothing to do with the play.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 4th, 2014, 06:36 PM

Those penalties suck. Refs miss the original penalty then catch the retaliation.

Green26
October 4th, 2014, 06:37 PM

Ursus, go look at the play again. That's not what happened. The defender pushed JJ up high well after the throw.

Green26
October 4th, 2014, 06:39 PM

- - - Updated - - -

I give our offense maybe 10-20 points at most, our defense will have to play the best game of the year or it could end up like the UND-Missouri St game.

Nope. Cheap shot. A push up high well after the throw. Should be called a late hit every time.

uofmman1122
October 4th, 2014, 06:45 PM
I didn't see either hit, but heard the one after the delay of game was about as dirty a cheap shot as you'll see.

SDFS
October 4th, 2014, 06:47 PM

The late hit on Johnson is unfortunate and the right call. Was his injury intentional - no it was a freak play. The other play, numerous players on both sides ran the play. It appears that some player heard a whistle others didn't. It was an extremely late whistle to stop play... and QB got hit. The whole play was handled poorly by the officials in my opinion. There we several officiating mistakes in this game not the best game for the crew. Later in the game, a play (movement on the offense) that should have be been blown dead was not stopped at all.

As far as the comments from the player, I thought it was a poorly worded comment. I have heard the coaches say that they want to be known as a tough physical defense that is not fun to play. They want to be aggressive and attack the offense. Taking the penalties that they did today cost them the game. Its simple, if they keep getting those type of penalties they will continue to lose. I am sure the coaches want to clean that up to win and would not agree with the comments from the player.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 4th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Ursus, go look at the play again. That's not what happened. The defender pushed JJ up high well after the throw.

I watched the play several times. He did push him, just as our guys have been touched up for that same ****. The point is it happens and it did not appear intentional other than a defender being caught up in the chase...but as I say if they want to walk that line then they are more likely to cross it into the cheap area and even more likely any hit even questionable will be seen as cheap.

It's not the kind of culture I'd want to see from my team if that is the road they are going down.

robsnotes4u
October 4th, 2014, 07:06 PM
Maybe its the attitude of being a laughing stock in the BSC (not to mention the FCS) in poor defense, now enter a defense with confidence, more talent, and better coaching. Yes the rough and tough "attitude" is getting to a point where they are taking stupid penalties and maybe Bubba will address that before the Portland State game. Last two opponents combined for 118 points last year, this year that total was 47, a hell of a turnaround. The fans can actually talk about how great our defense is playing, been a long time since we have done that.
Growing up a wrestler I look at it as a Dan Gable attitude. Iowa wrestled people harder than anyone else on the edge of the Mat his team's scored points when others were not thinking of it

Play until the whistle blows.. A lot like NDSU coaches say hold until you get called. You need to know each refs boundaries.. Hard nose football

ursus arctos horribilis
October 4th, 2014, 07:07 PM
The late hit on Johnson is unfortunate and the right call. Was his injury intentional - no it was a freak play. The other play, numerous players on both sides ran the play. It appears that some player heard a whistle others didn't. It was an extremely late whistle to stop play... and QB got hit. The whole play was handled poorly by the officials in my opinion. There we several officiating mistakes in this game not the best game for the crew. Later in the game, a play (movement on the offense) that should have be been blown dead was not stopped at all.

As far as the comments from the player, I thought it was a poorly worded comment. I have heard the coaches say that they want to be known as a tough physical defense that is not fun to play. They want to be aggressive and attack the offense. Taking the penalties that they did today cost them the game. Its simple, if they keep getting those type of penalties they will continue to lose. I am sure the coaches want to clean that up to win and would not agree with the comments from the player.

I hear ya and agree with it with one comment which I would bet you agree with. There is a good way to accomplish all that (NDSU/Montana/etc..) with inspired play and disregard the stupid cheap stuff and the incessant talk. The other way is to have a good defense but have them coming into a culture of cheap shot/late hit artists (Like Portland State) does it.

I hope you are right and Bubba checks some attitudes and focuses some folks cuz you guys could still cause some real havoc if you got it corralled and focused.

robsnotes4u
October 4th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Sat around Griz fans at the game today and not once was cheap shots even brought up

catbob
October 4th, 2014, 08:00 PM
Whistles aren't the only way for a play to be over. It isn't uncommon to have a play end with nobody blowing a whistle.

Silenoz
October 4th, 2014, 08:07 PM
Can someone explain the phantom missed field goal?

Go Big Sky refs

SDFS
October 4th, 2014, 08:20 PM
I hear ya and agree with it with one comment which I would bet you agree with. There is a good way to accomplish all that (NDSU/Montana/etc..) with inspired play and disregard the stupid cheap stuff and the incessant talk. The other way is to have a good defense but have them coming into a culture of cheap shot/late hit artists (Like Portland State) does it.

I hope you are right and Bubba checks some attitudes and focuses some folks cuz you guys could still cause some real havoc if you got it corralled and focused.

Agree with your comments, play hard to whistle.

SDFS
October 4th, 2014, 08:23 PM

Go Big Sky refs

Yes, that was odd... couldn't really tell on TV. Not sure what was going on.. UND has had that problem a couple of times - kicker and team thinks its good and refs say no.

taper
October 4th, 2014, 08:58 PM
Whistles aren't the only way for a play to be over. It isn't uncommon to have a play end with nobody blowing a whistle.

Bisonville's resident NCAA ref once said the only way a whistle legally ends the play is an inadvertent whistle, which is obviously avoided. The whistle is an easy way to *inform* all players that the play is over. Still your job to not have late hits.

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 4th, 2014, 09:15 PM
The play where JJ got hurt was not a "cheap ass" shot. Any Griz fan that thinks it was is a ****ing idiot it wasn't even a late hit. I was there and I watched it on a replay at my hotel. Montana fans are the biggest bunch of pussies when it comes to excuses. Every week it's the refs or the OC or the head coach. You ****ing idiots blame everything but the real problem. Execution

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 4th, 2014, 09:17 PM

Wrong they were bad calls and you are a ****ing idiot for thinking otherwise. You guys look like bigger idiots than usual with the always blaming the refs BS. Quit being a loser

MTfan4life
October 4th, 2014, 09:32 PM

Go Big Sky refs

I was on the ground on the Griz sideline at the 10 yard line near the opposite end zone when this happened. So, I had a pretty good angle watching the kick and I thought he missed it right away. The guy standing next to me thought he just made it, but I wasn't surprised when I saw the refs signalling "no good." It looked like it was one of those calls that could have gone either way because he definitely pushed it. You can't do that on a 21 yard field goal. You deserve for a borderline call to go against you when you do that.

And yes, the refs had a lot of shaky calls. However, a higher percentage of those bad calls helped out the Griz, so we Griz fans can't really complain about the refs in that game, imo. What was a pretty slow game for 50 minutes sure got pretty wild in the last 10. I was glad to see the Griz pull out the win.

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 4th, 2014, 09:33 PM
He did miss it.....only idiot fans would argue otherwise or blame the refs

robsnotes4u
October 4th, 2014, 09:36 PM
The two bad snaps by UND sucked.. One for a safety the other for a 20+ yard loss. Ouch

robsnotes4u
October 4th, 2014, 09:37 PM

Champions do not play the blame game, they take responsibility

El Griz
October 4th, 2014, 09:52 PM

Intimidation posts again alphagriz1. I would ask, but don't really care of what one of the many things you are making up for.

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 4th, 2014, 10:01 PM
Champions do not play the blame game, they take responsibility
And out idiot fans show why we haven't been Champions in 14 years

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 4th, 2014, 10:02 PM
Intimidation posts again alphagriz1. I would ask, but don't really care of what one of the many things you are making up for.
Suck a dick you excuse making moron

El Griz
October 4th, 2014, 10:21 PM
What is strange is I agree with you on most things. I believe cops are nothing more than revenue farmers. Not protecting the public at all. I believe NDSU is an incredible dynasty. Although other teams did that while reloading. We will see on NDSU reloading and making a run. I also wish that you personally could of got your hands on the criminal that created trouble for your family instead of the coward being safe behind steal bars. Yes, there are adults on the board that post their thoughts on the game. You have vast knowledge of the game and the board. The board could use your knowledge instead of being a demeaning f***.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 4th, 2014, 10:25 PM
Suck a dick you excuse making moron

He didn't make any excuses that I saw? I also wasn't maing any excuses but didn't see everything exactly as you did. For instance I couldn't tell the FG was not good, in fact it looked good from the poor camera angle we had. Then you see Mick having a coniption and you rightfully start wonder what the hell is going on?

So whatever your scorched earth thing is tonight I think it's a little misguided cuz there has not been much in the way of Griz fans making a bunch of excuses.

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 4th, 2014, 10:41 PM
No scorched earth I am just sick of our idiot fans making us look bad with "the refs screwed us syndrome" it's everyweek and it's what losers do.

Winners make plays regardless of what the refs do, play through it and quit making the few of us that get it...look bad.

It's really that simple

MTfan4life
October 4th, 2014, 11:38 PM
He didn't make any excuses that I saw? I also wasn't maing any excuses but didn't see everything exactly as you did. For instance I couldn't tell the FG was not good, in fact it looked good from the poor camera angle we had. Then you see Mick having a coniption and you rightfully start wonder what the hell is going on?

So whatever your scorched earth thing is tonight I think it's a little misguided cuz there has not been much in the way of Griz fans making a bunch of excuses.

I was surprised to hear how worked up Mick got about the field goal. Where he was standing, even if an attempt goes wide right, it might look like it went in. Like I said before, from 100 yards away with a pretty decent angle, two guys standing next to each other had opposite opinions. The UND guy thought it was good, and I thought it was inches right. If there was a neutral zone where it's neither good nor bad, it was right on that line. It truly was one of those coin flip scenarios where the side the call goes against really has no argument to complain.

Regardless of the situation, didn't the Griz win?

ursus arctos horribilis
October 5th, 2014, 12:46 AM
I was surprised to hear how worked up Mick got about the field goal. Where he was standing, even if an attempt goes wide right, it might look like it went in. Like I said before, from 100 yards away with a pretty decent angle, two guys standing next to each other had opposite opinions. The UND guy thought it was good, and I thought it was inches right. If there was a neutral zone where it's neither good nor bad, it was right on that line. It truly was one of those coin flip scenarios where the side the call goes against really has no argument to complain.

Regardless of the situation, didn't the Griz win?

Yes we did, why do you ask?

Houndawg
October 5th, 2014, 08:04 AM
Those penalties suck. Refs miss the original penalty then catch the retaliation.

One of the first things they teach you in high school.

veinup
October 5th, 2014, 10:04 AM
the play on which JJ got hurt wasn't "cheap" in my opinion. penalty maybe, but it wasn't cheap.

what sucked was watching MY QUATABACK get clocked after he heard the whistle blow and put the ball down. ****. i guess that's just the game, but **** man, that was ****ty to see.

SDFS
October 5th, 2014, 10:12 AM
the play on which JJ got hurt wasn't "cheap" in my opinion. penalty maybe, but it wasn't cheap.

what sucked was watching MY QUATABACK get clocked after he heard the whistle blow and put the ball down. ****. i guess that's just the game, but **** man, that was ****ty to see.

I agree, not real happy to see that happen. But, I think the officiating crew was late with the whistle on a couple of dead ball calls. If you watch the VOD you will see UND's QB gets dumped by Wagenmann on a very similiar play. One play was delay of game and other was illegal motion both dead ball calls. You shouldn't see the QB for either team being dumped on the ground with those types of calls.

veinup
October 5th, 2014, 10:27 AM
yup. refs sucked it up in this game. hurt both sides.

Houndawg
October 5th, 2014, 10:32 AM

He dials it back for the sensitive types at this forum, Oughta see him go on the other board..xlolx

BisonBacker
October 5th, 2014, 12:25 PM
So are we called University _f N_rth Dak_ta? Since we have no O.

No darell I have a new nickname for you. Well it's not really new but I'm going to suggest it be the official mascot if you can find something to go with it. UN_ will now be call the Moral's.

You'll figure it out :D

citdog
October 5th, 2014, 12:31 PM
I was impressed with the Fighting Sioux defense and it appears that the Sioux now have competent leadership. Things are looking up for the Sioux.

BisonBacker
October 5th, 2014, 12:32 PM
I was impressed with the Fighting Moral's defense and it appears that the Moral's now have competent leadership. Things are looking up for the Moral's.

I fixed it for ya!

JALMOND
October 5th, 2014, 01:10 PM
The other way is to have a good defense but have them coming into a culture of cheap shot/late hit artists (Like Portland State) does it.

??

It is true we have had a problem with penalties and such in the last few years, but to drag us in to this discussion by saying we have a "culture of cheap shot/late hit"s is stretching it a bit. I did not see the play live but I did see the replay on Root and, if that is the play in question, it was far from a cheap shot. Players do get hurt playing football. Just because a Griz player gets hurt does not mean it was "cheap".

To suggest one team has a culture of cheap shots and another team is "coming in" to a culture is plain wrong. You're better than that, ursus.

veinup
October 5th, 2014, 01:15 PM
when is zach wagenman going to make an "i want everybody to hate me" montage video

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 5th, 2014, 01:41 PM
I wish the Griz played like UND on defense. I don't mind all the "cheapshots" especially on the opposing teams QB. Not a fan of the protection rules so I can deal with a couple suspect shots if it sends a message.

veinup
October 5th, 2014, 01:48 PM
playing by the rules, however you may feel about them, is generally beneficial for a football team..

ursus arctos horribilis
October 5th, 2014, 02:00 PM
??

It is true we have had a problem with penalties and such in the last few years, but to drag us in to this discussion by saying we have a "culture of cheap shot/late hit"s is stretching it a bit. I did not see the play live but I did see the replay on Root and, if that is the play in question, it was far from a cheap shot. Players do get hurt playing football. Just because a Griz player gets hurt does not mean it was "cheap".

To suggest one team has a culture of cheap shots and another team is "coming in" to a culture is plain wrong. You're better than that, ursus.

J, I'm not trying to hurt feelings here but PSU, at least when they play us have been the cheapest bunch of players I've witnessed for about the past ten years. I obviously don't carry a flag against PSU and have made that statement very rarely but it is what I have seen as have many others.

The first thing citdog said after last years game was "Is PSU always this cheap?"

Sorry man, not trying to take shots at you guys but it is there.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 5th, 2014, 02:05 PM
I wish the Griz played like UND on defense. I don't mind all the "cheapshots" especially on the opposing teams QB. Not a fan of the protection rules so I can deal with a couple suspect shots if it sends a message.

That's one way to look at it. Another is I'd much rather my team played disciplined solid football within the rules generally. A lot like say the 2001 Griz D or the Bison D's of the last few years.

It's not easy to respect another teams D when you cover it up with that gangsta mentality if you ask me.

You are comparing it to a punchless effort it would appear and that's not what was being advocated.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 5th, 2014, 02:08 PM
That's one way to look at it. Another is I'd much rather my team played disciplined solid football within the rules generally. A lot like say the 2001 Griz D or the Bison D's of the last few years.

It's not easy to respect another teams D when you cover it up with that gangsta mentality if you ask me.

You are comparing it to a punchless effort it would appear and that's not what was being advocated.

BTW, I am not saying UND was cheap, they were not. They had one that was a little over the line but it's real, real possible the whistle wasn't heard so I can definitely go with that as an explanation.

What I'm saying is it looks to be getting close to the edge and one hopes it get reined in a little bit.

robsnotes4u
October 5th, 2014, 02:13 PM
BTW, I am not saying UND was cheap, they were not. They had one that was a little over the line but it's real, real possible the whistle wasn't heard so I can definitely go with that as an explanation.

What I'm saying is it looks to be getting close to the edge and one hopes it get reined in a little bit.
Imo if you are not playing close to the edge, and you need to test the refs to find where the edge is, you are not playing hard enough.

It is always easy to nit pick as someone watching or seeing a slow motion replay but remember these player have a different perspective at full speed

ursus arctos horribilis
October 5th, 2014, 02:16 PM
Imo if you are not playing close to the edge, and you need to test the refs to find where the edge is, you are not playing hard enough.

It is always easy to nit pick as someone watching or seeing a slow motion replay but remember these player have a different perspective at full speed

Which I've already said more than once. Nice you agree with me though.xthumbsupx

robsnotes4u
October 5th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Which I've already said more than once. Nice you agree with me though.xthumbsupx
+1:)

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 5th, 2014, 03:27 PM

What I am saying is I like it where its at.

I am not advocating personal harm here I am just saying with the way rules are "interpreted" instead of enforced I would lean the other way and see what I can get away with.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 5th, 2014, 03:40 PM
What I am saying is I like it where its at.

I am not advocating personal harm here I am just saying with the way rules are "interpreted" instead of enforced I would lean the other way and see what I can get away with.

Agree.

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 5th, 2014, 05:01 PM
do ya

Grizzlies82
October 5th, 2014, 06:32 PM
I was surprised to hear how worked up Mick got about the field goal. Where he was standing, even if an attempt goes wide right, it might look like it went in. Like I said before, from 100 yards away with a pretty decent angle, two guys standing next to each other had opposite opinions. The UND guy thought it was good, and I thought it was inches right. If there was a neutral zone where it's neither good nor bad, it was right on that line. It truly was one of those coin flip scenarios where the side the call goes against really has no argument to complain. Regardless of the situation, didn't the Griz win?

I was watching from about 800 miles away and initially couldn't tell if the kick was good. It was hooked quite tight to one side.
However a replay showed the kick was good. The upright was clearly BEHIND the ball as it went through the goal post.
I am never one to bitch about the refs. They make the calls (right & wrong) as they perceive them. In this case the ref got it wrong.
***** happens. Thankfully that bad call didn't change the outcome of the game.

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 5th, 2014, 07:15 PM
I was at the game and he missed it, not really any question about it, and I didnt need replay. Right by 4-6 inches

geaux_sioux
October 5th, 2014, 08:26 PM
You wanna talk bad officiating? UND at UNC in 2012, 4th and 1 late 4th quarter and we're going for it instead of kicking a 52 yard fg into a swirling wind. Last game of the year. We get stuffed. On Sunday we find out they had 12 men on the field for that play. Not a guy running off the field, but an extra guy in the box. That's how those seniors went out. Now that is bad officiating.

UNDColorado
October 6th, 2014, 09:40 AM
I do not post here much anymore but after reading through this thread I feel the need to go on record saying that I do not think the hit on Johnson was dirty. It was certainly unfortunate as it is never good to see anyone hurt and have to come out of the game. Ratelle took one step and then pushed him and I do agree with the flag but this was no different that any other roughing the passer penalty.

The reffing was bad for both sides. I can think of a couple very questionable calls that went against UND.

In the end Montana won because of our mistakes (multiple snaps including the late FG attempt).

biggame
October 6th, 2014, 11:42 PM
I was watching from about 800 miles away and initially couldn't tell if the kick was good. It was hooked quite tight to one side.
However a replay showed the kick was good. The upright was clearly BEHIND the ball as it went through the goal post.
I am never one to bitch about the refs. They make the calls (right & wrong) as they perceive them. In this case the ref got it wrong.
***** happens. Thankfully that bad call didn't change the outcome of the game.

What replay did you get to see? Nothing on midco showed anything that would be conclusive.

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 7th, 2014, 12:08 AM
He didnt see anything on TV it was inconclusive at best, you had to be there and I think the refs got it right it was a miss.