PDA

View Full Version : Question about bowl games for FCS schools

ktuck911
October 3rd, 2014, 03:03 PM
was that ever considered? IMO, it should be. There are teams at this level of football that are exciting enough to keep playing past the season's end... I know $$$ is not as big at the FCS level but wouldn't it be cool to have bowl games set up with teams going at it on neutral sites that may not be playoff eligible but deserving... Just a thought...

BisonFan02
October 3rd, 2014, 03:41 PM
Playoffs.......FCS teams worthy of those "bowls" are still playing football through new years.

superman7515
October 3rd, 2014, 03:51 PM
was that ever considered? IMO, it should be. There are teams at this level of football that are exciting enough to keep playing past the season's end... I know $$$ is not as big at the FCS level but wouldn't it be cool to have bowl games set up with teams going at it on neutral sites that may not be playoff eligible but deserving... Just a thought...

http://www.prestoimages.com/store/rd1141/1141_pd1443212_1.jpg

Bisonoline
October 3rd, 2014, 03:57 PM

Bowl games are about$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Deserving teams dont mean squat. Fan bases who travel well do.

Hammerhead
October 3rd, 2014, 03:59 PM
Many schools lose money on bowl games since they can't sell the tickets they are forced to buy. That would be an even bigger problem for nearly every FCS school.

Bisonoline
October 3rd, 2014, 04:05 PM
Many schools lose money on bowl games since they can't sell the tickets they are forced to buy. That would be an even bigger problem for nearly every FCS school.

Most of the bowl games the ticket requirement is now negotiated. Then if they still cant sell all of there tickets the conference ends up eating the loss. Remember that all of the bowl money goes in to a combined pool and then split up by the conference.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 3rd, 2014, 04:07 PM
I care a lot about FCS but can guarantee that any FCS Bowl games would no draw my interest after the regular season.

If you ain't in the playoffs I can't say I'd give a rat's ass about watching it.

Bisonoline
October 3rd, 2014, 04:13 PM
I care a lot about FCS but can guarantee that any FCS Bowl games would no draw my interest after the regular season.

If you ain't in the playoffs I can't say I'd give a rat's ass about watching it.

Yeah Im a playoff guy. The game actually means something. Win and you keep playing.
The way the current bowl system is its nothing more than getting a participation ribbon. Hell you may as well play T-ball.

DFW HOYA
October 3rd, 2014, 05:16 PM

So if Montana was invited to play in the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl against Iowa State, you'd pass?

superman7515
October 3rd, 2014, 05:18 PM
So if Montana was invited to play in the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl against Iowa State, you'd pass?

Would free wings be provided?

BisonFan02
October 3rd, 2014, 05:25 PM

No cops?

Grizalltheway
October 3rd, 2014, 05:32 PM

By someone other than BWW? Maybe.

JayJ79
October 3rd, 2014, 05:50 PM

I highly doubt Iowa State will be bowl eligible

ursus arctos horribilis
October 3rd, 2014, 05:57 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't make that trip probably because there are playoffs that we missed and I would know we are as ****ty as IA State at that point.

Plus, there are playoffs on so that was my main point. When you have a slate of games that mean everything and put up games that mean nothing against them...even if my team were in it I'd have not much in the way of excitement.

I'd watch it on TV and hope we won but would have very little passion about it.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 3rd, 2014, 06:01 PM
On top of that BWW is a bunch of cheating assholes anyway. No way you could get a fair game out of anything they have something to do with.

"Oh we need an overtime, let's trip the kicker with a sprinkler or something!"

Screw them. I think the DOJ should be investigating those bastards. That's not even close to as criminal as the price they ask for some ****ty chicken wings.

skinny_uncle
October 3rd, 2014, 07:39 PM
We won the 1947 Corn Bowl. I guess that wasn't the question.

taper
October 3rd, 2014, 07:50 PM

Is this a choice between the FCS playoffs and a lower tier FBS bowl? Playoffs all the way. Your location says you're in Dallas, been to the championship the last 4 years?

superman7515
October 3rd, 2014, 08:14 PM
By someone other than BWW? Maybe.

There are 19x more chickens than people in Delaware; I don't care who makes it, we'll eat it.

Tealblood
October 3rd, 2014, 08:46 PM
You have to remember a bunch of schools will voluntarily eat those tickets- throw a couple hundred grand away just so the team can have those extra 3 weeks of practice

I have heard many a coach talk about how those weeks are invaluable going into next season

CHIP72
October 3rd, 2014, 09:47 PM

No offense, but Division I-AA bowl games, especially at neutral sites, is a stupid idea. With real playoffs that include all the conference champions and all the teams that have legitimate chance of winning the national title, you don't need bowl games.

Division I-A needs to become more like Division I-AA (and Division II, Division III, and NAIA), not the other way around.

Red & Black
October 3rd, 2014, 10:59 PM

No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phxskibum
October 3rd, 2014, 11:16 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news .....but

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24614650/the-buffalo-wild-wings-bowl-is-now-the-cactus-bowl

Bisonoline
October 3rd, 2014, 11:17 PM

How are you deserving if you cant even make the playoffs? xnonono2x

ZableNoise
October 3rd, 2014, 11:43 PM
William & Mary forewent the playoffs in 1988 and 1992 in order to play in the Epson Ivy Bowl in Japan.

Pant8her
October 4th, 2014, 11:24 AM
According to some and I just checked Wikipedia (for what it is worth) the following are considered bowls:
Eight second round winners will advance to the regional championships (commonly referred to as )
1. East Region: Boardwalk Bowl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boardwalk_Bowl)
2. Midwest Region: Pecan Bowl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pecan_Bowl)
3. Mideast Region: Tangerine Bowl
4. West Region: Camellia Bowl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camellia_Bowl)
With the winners of the regional championships advancing to the national semifinals.
The National Semifinal winners with play in the FCS Championship Bowl in January

So there you have it there are five legitimate bowls for FCS and any two teams worthy enough can play in two bowls in one season, so $*&@ on that BCS/FBS!

superman7515
October 4th, 2014, 01:32 PM
According to some and I just checked Wikipedia (for what it is worth) the following are considered bowls:
Eight second round winners will advance to the regional championships (commonly referred to as )
With the winners of the regional championships advancing to the national semifinals.
The National Semifinal winners with play in the FCS Championship Bowl in January

So there you have it there are five legitimate bowls for FCS and any two teams worthy enough can play in two bowls in one season, so $*&@ on that BCS/FBS!

Absolutely correct, bowl games are a part of the FCS playoffs, just as they are becoming in the FBS. The huge difference is the neutral site aspect.

crossfire07
October 4th, 2014, 09:08 PM
Fortunately some FCS schools have been to bowl games in the past when they actually meant something. There were no 6-6 teams playing either.

Bisonoline
October 4th, 2014, 09:23 PM

Those were the names back when you had the Big schools and Small schools or the University and the College division.
In the last 4 years we have been in the playoffs I have seen NO and heard NO mention of these names. Why they arent referenced as such is strange?

JayJ79
October 4th, 2014, 09:42 PM
How are you deserving if you cant even make the playoffs? xnonono2x

according to the FBS, all a team has to do to be "deserving" is to win 6 D-I games.
I suppose you could take the 6 (D-I) win teams that are left out of the playoffs and give them bowl bids.
Though I highly doubt you'd find anyone to sponsor such games.

Bisonoline
October 4th, 2014, 10:59 PM
according to the FBS, all a team has to do to be "deserving" is to win 6 D-I games.
I suppose you could take the 6 (D-I) win teams that are left out of the playoffs and give them bowl bids.
Though I highly doubt you'd find anyone to sponsor such games.

That would be the FBS as you mentioned. FCS is treated differently.