PDA

View Full Version : The Real gridIron Classic will be played in albany this weekend!

MR79
November 5th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Monmouth and Albany. The two best midmajor defensive teams in the country and after Saturdays domination I will give UA the edge. Unfortunatly unless CCSU does their job you won't be able to see one these two savage defenses shut down USD. They will light up Stony Brook.

The Monmouth Albany final may be a 3-0 victory.

CMON CCSU GET IT DONE!!!!!!!!!!

Torero Tradition
November 5th, 2006, 03:52 PM
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=81605

The Real GridIron Classic will be on Dec. 2nd. That should be a good game this weekend featuring defense, but it will be missing the Divisions #1 offense. :)

alumNEC
November 5th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Yes we all know SD's offense does a tremendous job at some of the nation's top pop warner defenses... sorry I just couldn't resist

Torero Tradition
November 5th, 2006, 04:29 PM
You know Yale is a top 25 team right... we play our PFL teams that are on the schedule...

alumNEC
November 5th, 2006, 04:32 PM
In all seriousness though this Gridiron Classic (the actual one) would certainly be a better game if USD played MU or UA... Nothing against StonyBrook they played their conference schedule near perfectly, but MU and UA and to be honest maybe even RMU are better teams at least to this guy who has seen each team play this year... I know for a fact that USD would not to be able to post as much on UA if UA played defense like they did this week and like they have most of the season... I think USD has had a fantastic year but if they face MU or UA's defense it will not be an offensive bregade like they are used to.... C'mon CCSU, not that I reallywant StonyBrook to lose, I just want the NEC to have a better chance in the Gridiron Classic

alumNEC
November 5th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Is Yale the best team USD has played? yes..... Is Yale's defense comparable to Albany's defense? no my friend.... USD's win Vs yale was a great win nonetheless :hurray: , not being sarcastic, but the toreros have not faced a defense that of UA... take a look at the rankings of Yale Vs Albany defense-wise:

Pass Defense Rank
Yale 99
Albany 12

Rush Defense Rank
Yale 59
Albany 4

Total Defense Rank
Yale 81
Albany 3

Scoring Defense Rank
Yale 35
Albany 5

Now Yale has a great team, and nothing taken away from USD's win, but Albany's defense especially at this point in the season may be USD's downfall... At least we can all hope :smiley_wi

DetroitFlyer
November 6th, 2006, 07:32 AM
I was a bit worried about Drake's ability to defeat the NEC champ, but I'm feeling better today as Drake's QB finally seems to be getting into the game! I predict a close game, with Scotty P rushing for over 100 yards, Drake's QB completing a few key passes, and Drake's defense shutting down the NEC Champion. A great year for the PFL with two teams in the post season!!

danefan
November 6th, 2006, 08:03 AM
I was a bit worried about Drake's ability to defeat the NEC champ, but I'm feeling better today as Drake's QB finally seems to be getting into the game! I predict a close game, with Scotty P rushing for over 100 yards, Drake's QB completing a few key passes, and Drake's defense shutting down the NEC Champion. A great year for the PFL with two teams in the post season!!

A bit presumptious no?
Why have you assumed that USD is in? I haven't seen anything more than a few posters here telling us they are in. Last time I checked no one on this board gets a vote do they?

DetroitFlyer
November 6th, 2006, 08:20 AM
I believe that USD is going to the playoffs. I do not "know" that they are going to the playoffs.... If USD does not receive a bid, I would anticipate a lopsided victory for the PFL in the Gridiron Classic, unless USD suffers some key injuries. The NEC just does not seem to have any explosive offensive teams. USD is a scoring machine and their defense is solid. Granted, the last couple of weeks may have shown some kinks in the armor on defense, but overall they are an amazing team for a non-scholarship squad, and a I-AA playoff caliber team, ( in my opinion ), as well. I am traveling to USD to try and root my Flyers onto a very unlikely victory. As with every week on AGS, I'm guessing that Dayton will be everyone's favorite team, right behind whoever Yale plays.... Frankly, I also think if Monmouth wins out, they should receive serious consideration as well.

Ruler 79
November 6th, 2006, 08:31 AM
If Drake is chosen to go to the GIC they will get their asses kicked by either UA or Monmouth. Stony Brook they have a chance.

GOTOREROS
November 6th, 2006, 08:38 AM
What is this Gridiron Classic you guys are talking about? :D

Seriously, while I want to make the playoffs, I will be happy as heck to have USD play the NEC Champ. My biggest concern would be weather and the field. To be honest I don't see anyone in the NEC stopping USD on offense, but if it is a muddy playing surface then that could slow USD down.

Who knows, it will be a great game and probably a toss-up in the end. Can't wait to see what happens in the next few weeks!

BobbyMo
November 6th, 2006, 08:44 AM
As an RMU fan first, NEC fan second I really hope that Monmouth or Albany get to play in the GIC. Not meaning to be dissrecptful to anyone, but I think both teams are better than Stony Brook (although the head to head tells a different story).

Out of the 2, I think Monmouth is the better all around team and would like to see what they can do against Drake or SD. Although i think Albanys D would fair well against either PL team, I am not so sure their O would be able to do much.

I wish i could see the Monmouth UA game but cannot, so good luck to both teams and lets go CCSU :)

MU Alum
November 6th, 2006, 09:04 AM
I really believe MU deserves more playoff consideration than San Diego. There defense is dominant and they can run and pass well on offense, and MU has the best "mid major" qb. (Including the ridiculously overhyped Johnson.) If San Diego plays MU in the Gridiron Classic, I think MU wins and shuts down San Diego. MU has a history this year of shutting down top I-AA players. Look at the Colgate QB (Who is probably as good as Johnson, he just plays better competition every week in the Patriot League) and Colgates RB who was on the Payton watch list before MU shut him down. Then there is Justice Hairston, who was shut down by MU, or even Morgan States qb who was a pretty good athlete and has played against other MEAC and A-10 talent all year.

Tell me one legitamate defense San Diego has seen this year. MU has scheduled up and won, and now go to Albany who is 8-3 with wins over Delaware and Lehigh this year, with a legitamate Defense. If they can win that game then they deserve the playoff consideration over San Diego in my opinion. And from what I heard MU who was up 54-20 over St. Francis TOOK A KNEE ON THE 1 YD LINE with 35 Seconds left in the game instead of scoring a meaningless TD in San Diego fashion.

GOTOREROS
November 6th, 2006, 09:12 AM
I really believe MU deserves more playoff consideration than San Diego. There defense is dominant and they can run and pass well on offense, and MU has the best "mid major" qb. (Including the ridiculously overhyped Johnson.) If San Diego plays MU in the Gridiron Classic, I think MU wins and shuts down San Diego. MU has a history this year of shutting down top I-AA players. Look at the Colgate QB (Who is probably as good as Johnson, he just plays better competition every week in the Patriot League) and Colgates RB who was on the Payton watch list before MU shut him down. Then there is Justice Hairston, who was shut down by MU, or even Morgan States qb who was a pretty good athlete and has played against other MEAC and A-10 talent all year.

Tell me one legitamate defense San Diego has seen this year. MU has scheduled up and won, and now go to Albany who is 8-3 with wins over Delaware and Lehigh this year, with a legitamate Defense. If they can win that game then they deserve the playoff consideration over San Diego in my opinion. And from what I heard MU who was up 54-20 over St. Francis TOOK A KNEE ON THE 1 YD LINE with 35 Seconds left in the game instead of scoring a meaningless TD in San Diego fashion.

It would be fun to have USD play Monmouth, I would like you see how overhyped we are......:nod:

JMG1MON
November 6th, 2006, 09:19 AM
And from what I heard MU who was up 54-20 over St. Francis TOOK A KNEE ON THE 1 YD LINE with 35 Seconds left in the game instead of scoring a meaningless TD in San Diego fashion.

That isn't because they didn't try to get a cheap td. Lutz broke a 60+ yd run with about 30 secs left, getting tackled at the 2 and MU ran to the line to try and get one last td for lutz at home (senior rb). According to the MU radio guys, St. Francis called timeout and MU went to victory formation.

Dane96
November 6th, 2006, 09:23 AM

Watching Monmouth twice this season (third time this saturday) your QB couldnt sniff Johnson's jock. To compare the two is ridiculous.

BeauFoster
November 6th, 2006, 09:34 AM
You know Yale is a top 25 team right... we play our PFL teams that are on the schedule...

Check this out, Yale is not ranked in any of these top 25s

http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=80343

Torero Tradition
November 6th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Check this out, Yale is not ranked in any of these top 25s

http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=80343

Check out the GPI

BeauFoster
November 6th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Check out the GPI

Keep grasping for straws.

MU Alum
November 6th, 2006, 10:08 AM
It would be fun to have USD play Monmouth, I would like you see how overhyped we are......:nod:

Thats exactly what I'm sayin my man.

& albany guy, wait till Saturday.

Dane96
November 6th, 2006, 10:34 AM
I dont have to wait until saturday to see, in person, the GLARING differences between the two quarterbacks. Johnson...is light years ahead of your QB.

Ruler 79
November 6th, 2006, 11:04 AM
I agree, Boland is good no doubt, but he is not nearly the qb that SDU's kid is. The SDU could be playing 1A somewhere. I know Boland was at Rutgers when they sucked. This SDU kid probably gets drafted.

As for Sat, Boland will be dumped on his ass. Maybe not 10 times but a bunch. You better double future NFL player Andre Coleman. Your running game will get stuffed and your reciever Miguel will be the difference maker for you if you guys do win. If we can beat Delaware I think we can hang with Monmouth.

PS

RMU's D in our coaching staffs opinion might be the best one they will have faced this year.

MU Alum
November 6th, 2006, 11:22 AM
[QUOTE=Ruler 79]I agree, Boland is good no doubt, but he is not nearly the qb that SDU's kid is. The SDU could be playing 1A somewhere. I know Boland was at Rutgers when they sucked. This SDU kid probably gets drafted.

As for Sat, Boland will be dumped on his ass. Maybe not 10 times but a bunch. You better double future NFL player Andre Coleman. Your running game will get stuffed and your reciever Miguel will be the difference maker for you if you guys do win. If we can beat Delaware I think we can hang with Monmouth.
QUOTE]

You Albany guys have been saying the same thing for the last 3 years.

Honestly, it will be a great physical game like it always is. I believe MU comes out on top again in a close game. Albany is just too one dimensional on Offense. These are two very good teams. IF we can beat Fordham, then we can hang with Albany.

DetroitFlyer
November 6th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Is that the same RMU that gave up a 14-0 lead at halftime to lose to the last place team in the PFL, Dayton, 21-14?

Pard4Life
November 6th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Oh wow! I did not know they moved the date of the Gridiron Classic... cool...

If San Diego does not make the playoffs (and they won't :rotateh: ), I can't wait to see them play at Monmouth (here's hoping!)... the Hawks play 45 minutes away from me on the Parkway! It'd be a nice way to end the year...

...and yeah I don't expect my Pards to be playing that weekend... even if we play November 25.

Dane96
November 6th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Is that the same RMU that gave up a 14-0 lead at halftime to lose to the last place team in the PFL, Dayton, 21-14?

You mean RMU, in one of the first games of the year featuring more than 70% freshman starters?

Right.

GOTOREROS
November 6th, 2006, 12:48 PM
You mean RMU, in one of the first games of the year featuring more than 70% freshman starters?

Right.

Somehow Dayton figured out how to win......and they haven't much since....:nod:

Dane96
November 6th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Yeah...thanks captain obvious. Again, as everyone who watches RMU and the NEC regularly has stated, this team is a very very good team with no QB, who started mostly true freshman...playing their first collegiate games. The defense is fantastic.

This team...is not the same one from early in the season (and I am not always fond of RMU...but these kids grew up quick).

Johnny5
November 6th, 2006, 01:27 PM

and yale got to the top just like y'all did, by playing jake teams

DetroitFlyer
November 6th, 2006, 01:30 PM
11/4/06: Dayton 51 Valparaiso 7.

We have done something right for the first time in weeks! Many here are hoping that the momentum from the Valpo game carries over to the USD game....

rmutv
November 6th, 2006, 02:15 PM
I love how fans always use one game as the definition of a team. Depending on who you talk to, Robert Morris is defined by their game against Dayton...or their game against Duquesne, or, in a more favorable light, their games against CCSU and Wagner. For San Diego, it's all about Yale...

It's about the season as a whole, people. It's even more astounding how stubborn fans can be regarding the analysis of their team. Dane96 capped RMU to a tee, and he hates RMU. Well, at least, he and I don't always get along! xlolx

I think the PFL'ers are a bit too cocky about the Classic. I think Stony Brook is the only team still in the race for the NEC that can get blown out. If it is Albany or Monmouth, then I think the PFL is in for a bit of a surprise at how hard it is going to be to move the ball against two of the better defenses in I-AA football.

Robert Morris and Albany have the #2 and #3 total defenses in all of I-AA. San Diego #8 and Monmouth #14. Stony Brook #58. San Diego has the #1 scoring defense in front of #5 Albany, #6 Monmouth, #11 RMU, and #71 Stony Brook.

The NEC teams have been playing tougher competition and have posted similar numbers to the much heralded Toreros. I think San Diego will be in for quite a surprise when they make their way over to the East Coast.

alumNEC
November 6th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Amen to that, RMUTV... USD, barring a playoff bid, will stroll down to the east coast thinking they are god's gift to earth... Hopefully they will be playing albany or monmouth (like i previously stated on defenses alone i would want albany) and they will see what it is like to play against a real defense... and feel what it is like to get knocked around in the freezing cold (does not feel too good torero fans)

rmutv
November 6th, 2006, 02:38 PM
If Albany plays San Diego, Coleman is going to have a field day chasing after Johnson.

I hope your QB can move, Torero fans, because Andre Coleman is ready for the NFL right now. It didn't matter who was trying to block him...at one point he lifted up RT Joe Setticase with one arm and flung him aside on his way to pressuring RMU's QB Erik Cwalinski.

alumNEC
November 6th, 2006, 02:42 PM
and Coleman is not the only threat on defensive... arguably he may not even be the best d-linemen (according to some)... they rotate 7 guys on the d-line and all the guys can play very well... Not to mention their great linebackers (ie colin disch, one of the best LBs for the past 3 years) and their corners (ie rashad barksdale another pro-caliber athlete)... this defense made me just sit there and smile, you do not see such a great team of defenders very often... i am very proud of the entire NEC this year

Ruler 79
November 6th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Monmouth fans (or just MU Alum) get a grip. Just for the record Monmouth was 0-5( and I am betting you were on the losing end of a game or two) before their current winning streak. Now it sits at 5-3. So If we can beat Fordham 41-0 with a lesser team I am sure we will hang with an overated Monmouth team who also lost to that powerhouse Stony Brook along with UA.

GOTOREROS
November 6th, 2006, 03:04 PM
If Albany plays San Diego, Coleman is going to have a field day chasing after Johnson.

I hope your QB can move, Torero fans, because Andre Coleman is ready for the NFL right now. It didn't matter who was trying to block him...at one point he lifted up RT Joe Setticase with one arm and flung him aside on his way to pressuring RMU's QB Erik Cwalinski.

Go to the San Diego Union-Tribune website and you can see footage of Josh Johnson including his 50 yard TD run against Yale where he broke 6 tackles.....I think he can run just fine. The scary part is that he is a better passer than runner...

SD Union-Tribune link: http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/usd/20061103-9999-lz1s3playmake.html

Scroll down about half way and you will see "video" on the right side...the entire Johnson run vs. Yale is about half-way through the video montage.

alumNEC
November 6th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Yayyyyyy! again bringing up Yale...... USD's win against yale was great yes, and nobody is saying yale sucks or usd sucks.... we just say that yales defense has nothing on albany's defense.... or monmouth or rmu for that matter

GOTOREROS
November 6th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Yayyyyyy! again bringing up Yale...... USD's win against yale was great yes, and nobody is saying yale sucks or usd sucks.... we just say that yales defense has nothing on albany's defense.... or monmouth or rmu for that matter

What is it about people not read posts? "rmutv" asked if Josh Johnson could run? I said yes, here is the footage which happens to be against Yale. Ask a question and get an answer - if you don't like the answer don't ask the question. :nonono2:

What is so hard to understand about that?

I made no mention of Yale other than simply who the run was against. If you want to see an athelte then watch the footage. If you want to live in a cave and ignore the fact Johsnon is a stud go for it.

If you doubt my word on Josh Johnson ask Ralph.......you might not like his answer.

rmutv
November 6th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Thanks for providing evidence, GOTOREROS. Impressive run, though Michael Vick he is not.

I will say simply this: Albany and Monmouth are two very impressive defensive teams that have held up against some solid competition. San Diego has yet to have been CONSISTENTLY tested. It will be a close, hard-fought game, and I think San Diego might be a little over-confident and pre-occupied coming into it.

JMG1MON
November 6th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Monmouth fans (or just MU Alum) get a grip. Just for the record Monmouth was 0-5( and I am betting you were on the losing end of a game or two) before their current winning streak. Now it sits at 5-3. So If we can beat Fordham 41-0 with a lesser team I am sure we will hang with an overated Monmouth team who also lost to that powerhouse Stony Brook along with UA.

So, you beat Fordham 41-0 with a lesser team and then lose to them with a greater team???? :confused:

BTW, I think this game is going to be a real close defensive battle. If someone scores 20, that team will win (unless there are defensive scores).

GOTOREROS
November 6th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Thanks for providing evidence, GOTOREROS. Impressive run, though Michael Vick he is not.

I will say simply this: Albany and Monmouth are two very impressive defensive teams that have held up against some solid competition. San Diego has yet to have been CONSISTENTLY tested. It will be a close, hard-fought game, and I think San Diego might be a little over-confident and pre-occupied coming into it.

Thanks. Johnson is not Michael Vick, but he is an AMAZING athlete. The run vs. Yale is one of the best runs I have seen by a QB in a long time. It is one single play, but one that will stick in your mind every time you see him with the ball.....

I am not saying Johnson is going to run and pass either on Albany or Monmouth, but he will give them fits...

alumNEC
November 6th, 2006, 03:57 PM
I apologize GOTOREROS, I did not realize rmutv asked if johnson could run...oh wait, he didnt... u should read the posts big guy, he said "i hope ur qb can run" in regards to the albany defense chasing him down... sorry if i dont put words in peoples mouths like SOME sdu fans seem to love to do on SOME posts... SOME usd posters get at people like they are stupid and act very tough behind a little screen name... SOME usd fans are very good on this site and do not harp on anyone, and this is not directed at those

rmutv
November 6th, 2006, 04:13 PM
alumNEC, I don't need you to interpret my posts for me. It was an open-ended statement allowing for evidence to be put up saying that Johnson can run and evade the rush well.

GOTOREROS read it well and backed up his beliefs.

alumNEC
November 6th, 2006, 04:51 PM
I read your statement as is, sir, i did not realize it was up for interpretation... All I said was you never asked any questions, as he threw in my face defensively... That is all, nothing more nothing less

Whats a Torero
November 6th, 2006, 05:01 PM
I read your statement as is, sir, i did not realize it was up for interpretation... All I said was you never asked any questions, as he threw in my face defensively... That is all, nothing more nothing less
I just read each of the messages and didnt see where GOTOREROS was anywhere close to being defensive. He did respond to the "Yale Game" reference you gave him.

Guess maybe some folks are right when they say that Toreros really dont know "defense". :)

alumNEC
November 6th, 2006, 05:40 PM
What is it about people not read posts? "rmutv" asked if Josh Johnson could run? I said yes, here is the footage which happens to be against Yale. Ask a question and get an answer - if you don't like the answer don't ask the question. :nonono2:
What is so hard to understand about that?

I made no mention of Yale other than simply who the run was against. If you want to see an athelte then watch the footage. If you want to live in a cave and ignore the fact Johsnon is a stud go for it.

If you doubt my word on Josh Johnson ask Ralph.......you might not like his answer.

The bold is what I responded to... All I said was that there was no question asked, I did not realize he interpreted rmutv's post as asking a question... my bad, i apologize if i offended anybody... and as for my yale comment, half the posters on this site are sick of hearing USD using yale as their only ammunition for being a powerhouse, not just me... Like I said I did not mean to offend anybody, even my comments on yale were meant to be in fun... When he accused me of not reading the posts i responded a little aggressively, I apologize, too much football talk making me too macho i guess

alumNEC
November 6th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Also I would like to note that I agree Johnson is a great player, and I enjoyed the footage... my comment was just an off-hand comment only about the "question asked"... thats all... had nothing to do with the actual footage... I hope USD does not make the playoffs (no offense to toreros) only because i cant wait to see them in person and since traveling to cali is not an option at this point them coming up north is my chance... I cant wiat to see a battle, that is of course if they are playing albany or monmouth, if they end up playing stonybrook i may not even make the trip (once again not meant to be offensive to SB fans)

Guard Dawg
November 6th, 2006, 05:46 PM
I too am sick of hearing about a non-scholarship team dominate the top team in the IVY league. If Yale would have won, we wouldn't be hearing all this USD playoff talk. Dang it Yale

Whats a Torero
November 6th, 2006, 05:55 PM
The bold is what I responded to... All I said was that there was no question asked, I did not realize he interpreted rmutv's post as asking a question... my bad, i apologize if i offended anybody... and as for my yale comment, half the posters on this site are sick of hearing USD using yale as their only ammunition for being a powerhouse, not just me... Like I said I did not mean to offend anybody, even my comments on yale were meant to be in fun... When he accused me of not reading the posts i responded a little aggressively, I apologize, too much football talk making me too macho i guess

I could not agree more that the Yale game has been overused in the discussions about justifying USD's ranking and legitimizing a berth in the playoffs. I am surprised by the ranking, but wont look a gift horse in the mouth.

MU Alum
November 6th, 2006, 06:00 PM

I was just stating that we have won the last 3, so relax guy. Also the joke I was making was about Fordham this year, you said "if we can beat delaware, then we can hang with MU". I said If MU can beat Fordham, then we can beat Albany; partly as a joke, since u lost to Fordam 1 week after we smoked em.

How is MU overrated? We are 9-1 with 9 division I wins and not even ranked? This will be a good game, both teams are quality, I just like MU.

GOTOREROS
November 6th, 2006, 06:24 PM
alumNEC, I don't need you to interpret my posts for me. It was an open-ended statement allowing for evidence to be put up saying that Johnson can run and evade the rush well.

GOTOREROS read it well and backed up his beliefs.

Thanks rmutv. While there wasn't a question mark in your sentence I took it to be you thought Johnson would be running around quite a bit, and I felt the video footage was a good response to your query about hoping he could run when pressured. That's the reason why I put up the link with video becuase if left my opinion out of the mix and allowed you to see for yourself and make a decision. I love that 50 yard run he made earlier this year....did you know that he when he was a SR QB at Oakland Tech, the RB was Marshawn Lynch who is now at CAL and an outside Heisman candidate? Johnson has been around elite atheltes for a long time but he weighed something like 150 lbs as a senior and go not looks from big programs. He grew about 2 inches and added about 30 pounds his freshman year at USD.

Again, Johnson isn't going to throw for 385 yards and rush for 85 vs. an NEC team. But I think he can do well and give fits where opportunity allows. I have looked at some rosters in the NEC and there are some big dudes on those teams. To be honest, I really think the weather could the deciding factor in the GIC. It's not an excuse because a good team has to be able to play anywhere, but we don't play in bad weather hardly at all. And I'm not sure how we might respond - if we played in cold weather more often I might think it wouldn't be a big deal but I am assuming 12/2 will be the coldest game USD has ever played in. Like I said it's not an excuse it just doesn't help us. Today it was 84 degrees in San Diego, our kids really have no clue what "cold" really is.....

Finally, I wish the PFL was doing what the NEC has done with scholarships. I am so envious of you guys because you are getting so much better and will be knocking on the playoff door very soon as a conference. So, this is one PFL fan that does respect your teams and conference and takes NOTHING for granted should we face one of those teams. It will be a dogfight and take everything we have to go back east and bring home a win...

Dane96
November 6th, 2006, 06:35 PM
So, you beat Fordham 41-0 with a lesser team and then lose to them with a greater team???? :confused:

BTW, I think this game is going to be a real close defensive battle. If someone scores 20, that team will win (unless there are defensive scores).

This game has 13-7 written all over it. I am just giddy to see this one in person. This one wont be for fans of offense...or for those who dont like smashmouth ball.

Dane96
November 6th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Thanks rmutv. While there wasn't a question mark in your sentence I took it to be you thought Johnson would be running around quite a bit, and I felt the video footage was a good response to your query about hoping he could run when pressured. That's the reason why I put up the link with video becuase if left my opinion out of the mix and allowed you to see for yourself and make a decision. I love that 50 yard run he made earlier this year....did you know that he when he was a SR QB at Oakland Tech, the RB was Marshawn Lynch who is now at CAL and an outside Heisman candidate? Johnson has been around elite atheltes for a long time but he weighed something like 150 lbs as a senior and go not looks from big programs. He grew about 2 inches and added about 30 pounds his freshman year at USD.

Again, Johnson isn't going to throw for 385 yards and rush for 85 vs. an NEC team. But I think he can do well and give fits where opportunity allows. I have looked at some rosters in the NEC and there are some big dudes on those teams. To be honest, I really think the weather could the deciding factor in the GIC. It's not an excuse because a good team has to be able to play anywhere, but we don't play in bad weather hardly at all. And I'm not sure how we might respond - if we played in cold weather more often I might think it wouldn't be a big deal but I am assuming 12/2 will be the coldest game USD has ever played in. Like I said it's not an excuse it just doesn't help us. Today it was 84 degrees in San Diego, our kids really have no clue what "cold" really is.....

Finally, I wish the PFL was doing what the NEC has done with scholarships. I am so envious of you guys because you are getting so much better and will be knocking on the playoff door very soon as a conference. So, this is one PFL fan that does respect your teams and conference and takes NOTHING for granted should we face one of those teams. It will be a dogfight and take everything we have to go back east and bring home a win...

No disrespect to the PFL...but USD shouldnt even want want the NEC is doing. You guys should go straight to the Great West. Dayton, for that matter...also shouldnt be in the PFL. They have PLENTY...YES PLENTY of resources to go I-AA scholarship.

alumNEC
November 6th, 2006, 07:13 PM
what the NEC is doing by having limited scholarships is the second step (first step was scheduling top opponents) towards bettering their chances on becoming one of the iaa regulars (meaning a consistent to 30 or so team)... How Albany, Monmouth, Robert Morris, and San Diego has done with little to no scholarships is beyond comprehension... It is an impossibility to become on of the iaa regulars by having limited or no scholarships, a team may have a few good seasons, but without full scholarships the NEC/PFL cannot expect to compete for playoffs year in and year out... I hope the NEC continues to take steps in that direction and I have a strong feeling the PFL will almost certainly make the same steps... Only time will tell, hell maybe USD/US/MU will struggle next year, but with steps in the right direction it is only a matter of time before they all become regulars

BobbyMo
November 6th, 2006, 07:34 PM
what the NEC is doing by having limited scholarships is the second step (first step was scheduling top opponents) towards bettering their chances on becoming one of the iaa regulars (meaning a consistent to 30 or so team)... How Albany, Monmouth, Robert Morris, and San Diego has done with little to no scholarships is beyond comprehension... It is an impossibility to become on of the iaa regulars by having limited or no scholarships, a team may have a few good seasons, but without full scholarships the NEC/PFL cannot expect to compete for playoffs year in and year out... I hope the NEC continues to take steps in that direction and I have a strong feeling the PFL will almost certainly make the same steps... Only time will tell, hell maybe USD/US/MU will struggle next year, but with steps in the right direction it is only a matter of time before they all become regulars

You make a very good point Alum. I dont know if this should be another topic or not, but what do you think will happen with the NEC?

I think (hope i am wrong) that the may become a victim of their own success. I am not sure schools like RMU, Monmouth, St. Francis, Sacred Heart, Wagner basically all the private schools will be able to keep ramping up the schollys. Monmouth perhaps, i do not know much about their athletic depmartment. I can see CCSU, UAlbany moving on.

What are your guys thoughts on this?

Dane96
November 6th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Exactly. I know Albany plans at being at 30 rides over 50kids in the next year and a half. I know they are already making a push at 45 scholarships in the league.

JMG1MON
November 6th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Exactly. I know Albany plans at being at 30 rides over 50kids in the next year and a half. I know they are already making a push at 45 scholarships in the league.

I think MU would be interested, but we have bigger problems right now than a 45 scholarship football team. BTW, MU plans on giving 8-10 scholarships again next season, however they don't plan on spreading it out like they did last season. They are actually going to give out full rides next season (my guess is somewhere around 8 to about 15-18 players got money in this past recruiting class).

JMG1MON
November 6th, 2006, 10:25 PM
This game has 13-7 written all over it. I am just giddy to see this one in person. This one wont be for fans of offense...or for those who dont like smashmouth ball.

I'm not usually a fan of smashmouth fooball, but I totally agree with you. I too am looking forward to it. I am making the trek up, but for me, its only about a 2 hour drive up the thruway, as I live in northern New Jersey. I also have a question for you. If you come in off of the Washington Ave. entrance to campus, can you park in the lot next to the RACC? or should you park in one of the lower lots and walk up to the field?? By lower lots, I mean the ones that are on your left heading up towards the football stadium and the RACC.

rmutv
November 6th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Regarding RMU's future with scholarships...the school is constantly expanding, including a new medical school that will be up in 2008 and will be only the 2nd in all of Western Pennsylvania, a huge boost.

There are discussions in the works for other forms of expansion as well. So, if anything, RMU will continue to fork out more money for the major sports, as well as things like hockey, which continues to grow here at RMU.

Dane96
November 6th, 2006, 10:53 PM
I think MU would be interested, but we have bigger problems right now than a 45 scholarship football team. BTW, MU plans on giving 8-10 scholarships again next season, however they don't plan on spreading it out like they did last season. They are actually going to give out full rides next season (my guess is somewhere around 8 to about 15-18 players got money in this past recruiting class).

About what we are doing. We did 8-10 rides over 22 kids. I think we are giving 10 fulls next year (well...soon)...and then another 10 over 15 or so kids the following year.

Dane96
November 6th, 2006, 10:58 PM
I'm not usually a fan of smashmouth fooball, but I totally agree with you. I too am looking forward to it. I am making the trek up, but for me, its only about a 2 hour drive up the thruway, as I live in northern New Jersey. I also have a question for you. If you come in off of the Washington Ave. entrance to campus, can you park in the lot next to the RACC? or should you park in one of the lower lots and walk up to the field?? By lower lots, I mean the ones that are on your left heading up towards the football stadium and the RACC.

I know it is a long day...and if I had a ticket I would invite you (I had to buy two extras), but consider staying for the 7pm game of Albany-Bucknell (BUCKNELL IS REAL GOOD!!!). Should be unreal and the game is a near sellout (3750 presold + the students)...about 1200 seats left.

As for your question...there are two entrances: Western and Washington Ave. Western Ave is closest to the stadium. When you come in off the thruway...you most likely will come in via the Washington Ave Entrance. I believe the parking situation is going to be strange because of hoops...so I am not sure you will be able to park in the RACC. The Dutch quad lots (those right before the tennis courts and off to the side of the RACC/STADIUM AREA) is probably your best bet.

Dane96
November 6th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Regarding RMU's future with scholarships...the school is constantly expanding, including a new medical school that will be up in 2008 and will be only the 2nd in all of Western Pennsylvania, a huge boost.

There are discussions in the works for other forms of expansion as well. So, if anything, RMU will continue to fork out more money for the major sports, as well as things like hockey, which continues to grow here at RMU.

I wouldnt be to sure about that. RMU was not for the scholarships in the first place...opting, like you said, to dump money into hockey and lacrosse. I know they are not for expanding the scholarships right now. This...is a problem for schools like Albany and CCSU.

rmutv
November 6th, 2006, 11:51 PM
You are correct, but only partially, and that's because of changing sentiments. When this whole scholarship stuff started, the RMU board of trustees was against it because it obviously costs more money. However, they were swayed by three elements:

-Walton convinced them he could get better football players with scholarships, fully evidenced by some of the freshies he pulled away from some D-1 schools that weren't offering as much cash, especially the Florida kids.
-B-Ball coaches Mark Schmidt and Sal Buscaglia did the same, and the trust in those two coaches paid off with fantastic recruiting this year.

And the big one...local advertisers, interested in supporting the local university, told the big cheeses that they wanted better teams with better competition before they threw their full weight behind games or events. The board asked what it would take to get better competition, with more high profile events, and were told better players would be the key.

How to get those players? Scholarships.

Ding. Chicken's done. Now with the intrigue and hype surrounding the Colonials basketball teams, the intrigue - including a January 2007 date with Notre Dame at Mellon Arena - around the hockey program, and the improving schedule for football (VMI and Morehead State next year), the board is infected with giddyness over the prospect of more sports revenue. So they are more willing to spit out more money...

At least, as of now. That could always change. After all, this is a board of trustees that we're talking about.

Dane96
November 7th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Well, that would be great if true, but as of this month...RMU has said no to a feeler on moving to 45 scholarships. UA and CCSU need this decision in the next year...not two years.

UAalum72
November 7th, 2006, 08:10 AM
If the proposal for a minimum number of scholarships for an auto-bid passes, do you think they'd go straight from 30 to 50?

Dane96
November 7th, 2006, 08:22 AM
No...because only three teams could afford it (CCSU...Albany...and a very reluctant Monmouth).

danefan
November 7th, 2006, 08:23 AM
If the proposal for a minimum number of scholarships for an auto-bid passes, do you think they'd go straight from 30 to 50?

I think the proposal goes from 45 to 50, but I still don't think it passes. Its the lower end of the NEC that will block it.

Dane96
November 7th, 2006, 09:07 AM
And why the Danes and Blue Devils will most likely go Indy in two years.

danefan
November 7th, 2006, 09:12 AM

Or maybe the America East.

I'm ducking for cover on that statement. No new America East football threads please!

aceinthehole
November 7th, 2006, 09:25 AM
You are correct, but only partially, and that's because of changing sentiments. When this whole scholarship stuff started, the RMU board of trustees was against it because it obviously costs more money. However, they were swayed by three elements:

-Walton convinced them he could get better football players with scholarships, fully evidenced by some of the freshies he pulled away from some D-1 schools that weren't offering as much cash, especially the Florida kids.
-B-Ball coaches Mark Schmidt and Sal Buscaglia did the same, and the trust in those two coaches paid off with fantastic recruiting this year.

And the big one...local advertisers, interested in supporting the local university, told the big cheeses that they wanted better teams with better competition before they threw their full weight behind games or events. The board asked what it would take to get better competition, with more high profile events, and were told better players would be the key.

How to get those players? Scholarships.

Ding. Chicken's done. Now with the intrigue and hype surrounding the Colonials basketball teams, the intrigue - including a January 2007 date with Notre Dame at Mellon Arena - around the hockey program, and the improving schedule for football (VMI and Morehead State next year), the board is infected with giddyness over the prospect of more sports revenue. So they are more willing to spit out more money...

At least, as of now. That could always change. After all, this is a board of trustees that we're talking about.

Good news from RMU!

I know the school is growing. I get mailings for their graduate programs down here in DC. The hockey and Lax programs have potential because so few schools play these sports. The talent pool is also smaller, but its a good gamble for them. Smart move - IMO.

Walton is a great coach, Western PA has the talent, and I think an NEC model with 45 to 50 schollys is a good idea. If not, CCSU, UA and Monmouth are certainly looking for alternative playoff opportunities. I think the great season the Colonials are having should help too. They can see that with some $$$ and hard work anything is possible. You alos have a young but loyal group of former football players, not to mention an NFL player.

Good luck!

BobbyMo
November 7th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Good news from RMU!

I know the school is growing. I get mailings for their graduate programs down here in DC. The hockey and Lax programs have potential because so few schools play these sports. The talent pool is also smaller, but its a good gamble for them. Smart move - IMO.

Walton is a great coach, Western PA has the talent, and I think an NEC model with 45 to 50 schollys is a good idea. If not, CCSU, UA and Monmouth are certainly looking for alternative playoff opportunities. I think the great season the Colonials are having should help too. They can see that with some $$$ and hard work anything is possible. You alos have a young but loyal group of former football players, not to mention an NFL player.

Good luck!

I am glad to hear that. I think if the NEC would go to 45-50 some of the schools might be able to stay. But i think the St. Francis's and Sacred Heart's would not. And although TV thinks that RMU could move to that I am not sure. It would be nice if RMU could get more on campus students. I guess that is what the new dorms are for, but in the NEC program it said that there were only about 1000 on campus students. Seemed low to me, but that is what it said.

As far as adding schools, I had heard California PA was thinking of moving up (dont know if that is substantiated or not) but if the NEC ramps up schollys maybe they would be a good fit.

Anyone else have any ideas of which schools would want to move to the NEC (MAAC schools?), maybe dayton. I would love to see dayton join up, but i am not sure that the traveling would not preclude them. Any of you guys that travel to RMU know that we are about the longest trip for everyone -st franics.

Dane96
November 7th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Exactly ACE. I was shocked to hear RMU was against the scholly addition. If RMU would jump to the other side, you would have UA, CCSU, Monmouth, and RMU all on the scholarship wagon. Wagner can afford it if it wants to. I wouldnt be too shocked to see an offer to Marist and the Dukes to **** or get off the football pot (the MAAC...is done). With the likelihood that the PL will go scholarship in the near future, both those schools would have to consider an upgrade so they can "make their resume" stronger for PL consideration.

BobbyMo
November 7th, 2006, 09:41 AM
the board is infected with giddyness over the prospect of more sports revenue. So they are more willing to spit out more money...

TV,
While i agree with in regards to the B-ball and hockey teams, and I do not with the football team now as it stands.

The football team now is profit driven, it is break even driven. Not sure if they manage to do that. One big factor in keeping it break even is a numbers game. If RMU gives out 15-20 schollys about of a 100 players, then roughly 80 players are not "going to school for free" So of that 80, probably 80% get some type of aid. But not the full amount, so a lot of the money the football team generates is tution and room and board money from its players.

Unless they want to schedule a IA payday oppenent like the B-ball team does, i do not think dumping money into the football team is going to help with the financial situation of the athletics department.

It could help as far as brand rec, but I am not sure if the IAA football playoffs would create as much buzz as a cinderella story NCAA B-ball team.

BobbyMo
November 7th, 2006, 09:43 AM

that is what i am worried about :bawling:

It would be a damn shame to have those two schools leave the NEC. I hope that "threat" of them leaving will turn the other schools around and ramp up. It could be like it is now, some schools are using more than the others, and still be ok in my mind.

if CCSU, Albany had the max
RMU, Monmouth, Wagner had 30-35
St. Francis, Sac Heart 20-25

I think that would be ok.

aceinthehole
November 7th, 2006, 09:59 AM
that is what i am worried about :bawling:

It would be a damn shame to have those to schools leave the NEC. I hope that "threat" of them leaving will turn the other schools around and ramp up. It could be like it is now, some schools are using more than the others, and still be ok in my mind.

if CCSU, Albany had the max
RMU, Monmouth, Wagner had 30-35
St. Francis, Sac Heart 20-25

I think that would be ok.

I'd be OK with that if the NEC got an AQ, but let's face it then UA and CCSU would be favorites to win year in and out. All teams should TRY to get to an equal basis, but if SFPA is willing to let UA go to 50+ schollys, then maybe the Danes stay for a while.

But since UA is a football only member, its clear where there interests are. They want to have ACCESS to the playoffs - if its in the NEC they are probably OK - but if not they WILL look to other options (Indy or AE football).

CCSU and Monmouth have basketball in the NEC and are 2 of the better teams. If this AE football begins to take form watch out becasue CCSU and MU will be on the radar becasue of the good hoops teams. If CCSU and MU left for AE football its almost certain they would go as all sports members to the AE. Then it more likely thet the MAAC and NEC football teams would merge to play under the NEC banner with limited (20-30) schollys.

Dane96
November 7th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Unfortunately, it would not be ok, however you bring up two intertwined points.

First, a CS team cannot play a I-A unless they give out the full boat of rides (or is it 56.7) due to I-A BCS rules.

So, the NEC as a league would have to significantly ramp up in order for Bobby Mo to get a payday. As we full well know...the NEC is not going the full boat.

Second, your proposal of scholarship distribution would not work if the Proposal of 1.25mm in aid or 50 rides is passed. CCSU, Albany, RMU, Monmouth, and two others would have to be at that level. THis...will not happen.

If it did, however, I think you would see Albany and CCSU stay...maybe even have SBU come back.

Unfortunately, if the rule is passed and the auto-bid is essentially a done case based on the new minimums, UA would most certainly have to leave.

We are in the process of going forward with our stadium (the 12-18 month study/fundraising is nearing its end) and they hope to break ground next spring (Spring '08, competition ready Fall '09).

No way we are building a 10,000-15,000 seat expandable stadium for non-playoff football.

The worm has turned on our campus...and if hoops keeps us in the limelight this year...expect even more changes at Albany (new baseball stadium, soccer stadium, track and field stadium, and wellness center).

BobbyMo
November 7th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Guys,
Thank you for your points. I think Albanys intentions are clear. Guess I am just grasping at straws because I do not want to see RMU left behind.

Dane96
November 7th, 2006, 10:34 AM
And neither do we.......

alumNEC
November 7th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Its very frustrating coming up with all these seemingly easy situations that the board could go with, and the final point is that $$$ talks.... They do not want to pony up the dough it seems... They fail to realize the little gold-mine Iaa football really is, with movements toward Iaa success comes much more recognition than they realize (which in turn leads to more $$$)... I love the NEC as is, without disrespect the only thing I may do is substitute maybe teams like Dayton for the St Francis's although with a conference full of good teams that will beat up on one another the records may not be stellar (although an auto-bid should be there if these situations were adopted :hurray: )... Aghhhh so frustrating! :bang:

DukesR4Real
November 7th, 2006, 11:08 AM
I think you will be surprised to see what actually happens if the NEC extends an offer to Duquesne. First of all, it is widely believed that the President and AD both wanted to see Duquesne break the all time conference win record before they left the MAAC. Now that the streak is over it seems as if there is nothing holding them back. Oh yeah except that the Athletic Department is under the impression that basketball is the primary sport on campus. I do know as an alumni that the pressure is on to upgrade the facilities and to join a new league. The Dukes would be a great fit for the NEC and everyone involved knows it and now it is just a matter of $$$$. Thanks for reading my first post of many many more to come. :hurray:

BobbyMo
November 7th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Dukes,
I would love to see it happen. Like you said, i would be suprised if they were to join. As much as do not like the dukes, they are a great program and would be a fantastic addition to NEC.

rmutv
November 7th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Well, that would be great if true, but as of this month...RMU has said no to a feeler on moving to 45 scholarships. UA and CCSU need this decision in the next year...not two years.

Well, the decision's been made by the NEC. Ron Ratner, associate commish of the NEC, said that it appears no team will go above 20 scholarships within the next two years. He cautioned that the subject will constantly be revisited, but as of now, all football members of the NEC had agreed on the 20 within two years.

Dane96
November 7th, 2006, 01:40 PM
You...are an utter fool...and honestly need to stop posting outlandish bull****.

ALBANY...is at 10 rides now and is going to be at the 30 mark by next year...with 40 players being covered.

THE MARK IS NOT 20...it is 30. FACT!

YES...I have this on good authority. And no....Ratner cannot limit an agreed upon amount by the CONFERENCE PRESIDENTS....the commish, or in this case, the ASST. COMMISH doesnt have that power.

But post away your nonsense.

JMG1MON
November 7th, 2006, 01:47 PM
I can assure you that Monmouth will have more than 20 in 2 years. I think we have 7-8 right now and I think they are going to give out between 7-10 this recruiting class as well. The following year, the same would put us around 22-25 scholarships (and as I stated earlier, they are giving full rides this upcoming class). As for the 45 or 50 rides, MU has bigger issues before they come to that. We currently have plans to the West Long Branch zoning board to build a new dorm (passed but being appealed by residents of WLB) and a new gym/basketball arena (which hasn't been approved yet because ONE asshole in the immediate vicinity is bitching about extra traffic on game nights). But I will echo Dane's sentiments about moving. Monmouth is not building a new basketball gym, that doubles the current capacity, with luxury boxes to stay in the NEC.

rmutv
November 7th, 2006, 02:06 PM
You...are an utter fool...and honestly need to stop posting outlandish bull****.

ALBANY...is at 10 rides now and is going to be at the 30 mark by next year...with 40 players being covered.

THE MARK IS NOT 20...it is 30. FACT!

YES...I have this on good authority. And no....Ratner cannot limit an agreed upon amount by the CONFERENCE PRESIDENTS....the commish, or in this case, the ASST. COMMISH doesnt have that power.

But post away your nonsense.

Dane, I'm just repeating what was said in an interview with our station. Ratner may have had the numbers wrong, may have said it wrong. Maybe you have it wrong.

I'm reporting what was said in an interview. Chill out.

QUICK EDIT: According to the Post-Gazette, it was originally capped at 30, like Dane said. There must've just been some confusion with the interview. Move along, because my point still stands that RMU is looking ahead and is looking to expand, it just might occur at a rate slower than some of the other schools would like.

Dane96
November 7th, 2006, 02:13 PM
I promise you...I dont have the numbers wrong.

monmouthhawk
November 7th, 2006, 02:13 PM
I can assure you that Monmouth will have more than 20 in 2 years. I think we have 7-8 right now and I think they are going to give out between 7-10 this recruiting class as well. The following year, the same would put us around 22-25 scholarships (and as I stated earlier, they are giving full rides this upcoming class). As for the 45 or 50 rides, MU has bigger issues before they come to that. We currently have plans to the West Long Branch zoning board to build a new dorm (passed but being appealed by residents of WLB) and a new gym/basketball arena (which hasn't been approved yet because ONE asshole in the immediate vicinity is bitching about extra traffic on game nights). But I will echo Dane's sentiments about moving. Monmouth is not building a new basketball gym, that doubles the current capacity, with luxury boxes to stay in the NEC.

I know about the one resident. He is a hole. Where do you see MU going to? New bball stadium, amazing football results in such a short time period, etc... Do you think Kessler Field will be moved off-campus?

Dane96
November 7th, 2006, 02:42 PM
I know about the one resident. He is a hole. Where do you see MU going to? New bball stadium, amazing football results in such a short time period, etc... Do you think Kessler Field will be moved off-campus?

As the newest member of a revamped America East...give it 5 years...done deal.

With UVM getting a new barn soon, all the Arenas in the AE are pretty nice (Albany has access to two, Hartfords is nice, Bing, SBU, etc.) All are over 4000 (if UNH moves to the Whit).

I suspect Monmouth and CCSU will get the call.:hurray: