Hampton at #4 JMU
McNeese State at Youngstown State

Lehigh at #3 UMass
Montana State at Tennessee Martin

San Diego at #2 Montana
New Hampshire at Illinois State

bodoyle
November 5th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Why would furman get a better seed then us when we beat them?

They're 11th and we're 17th and the gap will be closer then that come this time tomorrow.

rokamortis
November 5th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Why would furman get a better seed then us when we beat them?

They're 11th and we're 17th and the gap will be closer then that come this time tomorrow.

Bob - the committee doesn't seed all 16 teams. Only the top 4 get seeds with the other 4 hosts being the highest bidders. Then they try to make regional matchups as best they can , but doesn't always happen. Also, teams from the same conference can't play eachother in the first round.

yosefcity
November 5th, 2006, 03:00 PM
bodoyle- Its not seeding. Its the best regional matchup past the top 4 seeds.

FanOfAllThatIsJMU
November 5th, 2006, 03:05 PM
also, if JMU and UMASS both win out, UMASS would get the auto due to tiebreakers. however, if you think UMASS will lose one of their games, i'm with you there:nod: ;)

Torero Tradition
November 5th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Atlarge-
A-10: JMU, New Hampshire
Big South: Coastal Carolina
Big Sky- Montana State
Gateway: Illinois St, Youngstown State
Pioneer- San Diego
SoCon: Furman

Seeding

1. Appalachian State
2. Montana
3. UMass
4. JMU

San Diego at #2 Montana

I've been saying San Diego at #2 Montana for a long time and have been getting railed.... nice for someone else to say it :nod:

birdsflyhigh
November 5th, 2006, 04:10 PM
If either a 10-0 San Diego team or a 7-4 Montana St. team would get in over an 8-3 SIU team (that was Gateway co-champ), then I'd ask what planet the playoff selection crew is from. :confused:

yosefcity
November 5th, 2006, 04:22 PM
SIU will lose to northern iowa

birdsflyhigh
November 5th, 2006, 04:41 PM
SIU is in MUST WIN mode and last week they gave YSU a real stiff test at the Ice Palace. Now the Salukis come home with a chance to still be GFC co-champ, and you think the Panthers are going to beat them??? Not going to happen. SIU beats UNI and SSU to go 8-3 (5-2 Gateway).

Even if UNI were to lose to SIU, they could STILL be GFC co-champs by winning their last game against IL St. That would put UNI at 7-4 (5-2 Gateway), and the Panthers would get the GFC auto by virtue of their wins over YSU and IL St.

FlyYtown
November 5th, 2006, 04:51 PM
SIU is in MUST WIN mode and last week they gave YSU a real stiff test at the Ice Palace. Now the Salukis come home with a chance to still be GFC co-champ, and you think the Panthers are going to beat them??? Not going to happen. SIU beats UNI and SSU to go 8-3 (5-2 Gateway).

Even if UNI were to lose to SIU, they could STILL be GFC co-champs by winning their last game against IL St. That would put UNI at 7-4 (5-2 Gateway), and the Panthers would get the GFC auto by virtue of their wins over YSU and IL St.

My friend.... Wait a second here.
Southern Illinois has THREE Gateway losses:
Illinois State
Western Kentucky
Youngstown State
It's impossible for them to win the Gateway. I am predicting them to win their final 2; so they will make the playoffs.

Secondly..... The only way UNI gets it with 7-4 record is if YSU Loses next week... Thats the ONLY WAY.

If YSU wins next week and UNI loses, Youngstown State will win the Gateway and get the Auto-Bid; with Illinois State being the co-champs.....

GO GUINS!!
Predictions:
YSU 9-2 [5-1] Co-Champs: Auto-Bid #4 SEED
ILSU 9-2 [5-1] Co-Champs: First Round Home Playoff Game
SIU 8-3 [3-3] First Round AWAY Playoff Game

shakdaddy3
November 5th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Illinois State
Western Kentucky
Youngstown State
It's impossible for them to win the Gateway. I am predicting them to win their final 2; so they will make the playoffs.

Secondly..... The only way UNI gets it with 7-4 record is if YSU Loses next week... Thats the ONLY WAY.

If YSU wins next week and UNI loses, Youngstown State will win the Gateway and get the Auto-Bid; with Illinois State being the co-champs.....

GO GUINS!!
darn it Fly, got to it b4 me!!!

AZGrizFan
November 5th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Autos
A10 - UMass
Big Sky - Montana
Gateway - UNI
MEAC - Hampton
OVC - Tenn-Martin
Patriot - Lehigh
SoCon - App State
SLC - McNeese

Atlarge-
Big Sky- Montana State
Pioneer- San Diego

Seeding

1. Appalachian State
2. Montana
3. UMass
4. JMU

Coastal Carolina at #1 App State
Furman at UNI

Hampton at #4 JMU

Lehigh at #3 UMass

San Diego at #2 Montana

If Montana gets your autobid, that would imply they've beaten the Bobcats (natch), which would imply there's not a snowball's chance in hell MSU gets an at-large....@ 7-4.

FlyYtown
November 5th, 2006, 04:54 PM
darn it Fly, got to it b4 me!!!
I am not going to allow mis-info to be posted on here anymore.. It's very evident: UNI has the toughest tough ahead in the GFC, one loss they are going to be done.

birdsflyhigh
November 5th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Good catch Flytown, SIU would be 8-3 (4-3 Gateway). I AM going to predict a WKU win over YSU come Saturday. That would further muddle things.

Daved
November 5th, 2006, 04:56 PM
If either a 10-0 San Diego team or a 7-4 Montana St. team would get in over an 8-3 SIU team (that was Gateway co-champ), then I'd ask what planet the playoff selection crew is from. :confused:
I'm not sure they even know what planet they are from but nothing they do will surprise me.

FlyYtown
November 5th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Good catch Flytown, SIU would be 8-3 (4-3 Gateway). I AM going to predict a WKU win over YSU come Saturday. That would further muddle things.

And you have every right to predict that. I was considering predicting WKU with a win too; but they are going to be coming in after a LOSS; and the YSU team I saw in that 2nd half yesterday was reminiscent of the Tressel days... and we all know how good those teams were...

MASON FOR PAYTON!

Go Apps
November 5th, 2006, 06:56 PM
#1 ASU host Coastal

UT Martin host Furman

#4 JMU host Hampton

S. Ill host Towson

#2 Montana host Ill St

Cal Poly host McNeese St

#3 Mass host Lehigh

Young St. host N. Hamp

patssle
November 5th, 2006, 07:14 PM
couldn't predict the SLC pre-season...sure as heck can't predict it now

Keeper
November 5th, 2006, 07:27 PM
I predict that followers of at least 4 schools will be very upset
their team wasn't selected for the playoffs. I certainly don't
envy the task of the selection committee. The final qualifiers
will need very good resumes. I can't envision any team with
4 losses into the tournament.

grayghost06
November 5th, 2006, 07:54 PM
#1 ASU host Coastal

UT Martin host Furman

#4 JMU host Hampton

S. Ill host Towson

#2 Montana host Ill St

Cal Poly host McNeese St

#3 Mass host Lehigh

Young St. host N. Hamp...not to nit pick too much cause I love the discussion, but no way that both of these happen: JMU getting a seed and Towson making the playoffs. JMU wins out and gets a seed, but in order to win out, they have to beat Towson. That would give Towson 4 losses, which I believe would eliminate them from the playoffs....Good discussion though as it really starting to get exciting as the season ends.

CopperCat
November 5th, 2006, 08:11 PM
There are still games to be played out that nobody really knows what is going to happen (UM-MSU is a prime example). Lets give it another week or two, and then we can REALLY know what the playoff field is going to look like.

FTG!!!! (and the Toreros)

Peems
November 5th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Autos
A10 - UMass
Big Sky - Montana
Gateway - UNI
MEAC - Hampton
OVC - Tenn-Martin
Patriot - Lehigh
SoCon - App State
SLC - McNeese

Atlarge-
Big Sky- Montana State
Pioneer- San Diego

Seeding

1. Appalachian State
2. Montana
3. UMass
4. JMU

Coastal Carolina at #1 App State
Furman at UNI

Hampton at #4 JMU

Lehigh at #3 UMass

San Diego at #2 Montana

the only way the bobcats get in is if they beat us on november 18th. i think portland state, even though they lost to the bobcats, have a better chance at getting an at large birth. look at who they have lost to: Griz #2, MSU # 19(currently) , and Cal and Oregon two teams in the top twenty five. but to echo what everyone else has said it will be a tough decision.

shakdaddy3
November 5th, 2006, 08:39 PM
#1 ASU host Coastal

UT Martin host Furman

#4 JMU host Hampton

S. Ill host Towson

#2 Montana host Ill St

Cal Poly host McNeese St

#3 Mass host Lehigh

Young St. host N. Hamp
please explain SIU getting a home game over ILSU? for SIU to make the playoffs, they must beat UNI and SUU.. that would get them to 8-3 which would be the same record ILSU has if ILSU loses to UNI (or INSU, but that just won't happen)... so, they give a home game to a team the ILSU beat and has the same record as? furthermore, ILSU has had a higher attendance average which would help to get a home bid because of the $$$ issue...

Chi Panther
November 5th, 2006, 08:49 PM
You have to put up the money to host a playoff game....

But I would tend to agree....that the Birds would most likely host over the dogz....assuming the Birds cough up the dough.....

Chi Panther
November 5th, 2006, 08:51 PM
#1 ASU host Coastal

UT Martin host Furman

#4 JMU host Hampton

S. Ill host Towson

#2 Montana host Ill St

Cal Poly host McNeese St

#3 Mass host Lehigh

Young St. host N. Hamp

If this happened....which it won't......The GFC winner in round one would be SIU.......:eek:

Chucktown
November 5th, 2006, 09:04 PM
EIU still has chance at OVC bid, but should be a serious at large contender at 8-4 with 8 IAA wins,
losses to 2 1A's, and Illinois State and Tenn-Martin

Chi Panther
November 5th, 2006, 09:09 PM
EIU still has chance at OVC bid, but should be a serious at large contender at 8-4 with 8 IAA wins,
losses to 2 1A's, and Illinois State and Tenn-Martin

Thats the danger of playing 2 I-As.....you got to beat one......

Dallas Demon
November 5th, 2006, 09:32 PM
couldn't predict the SLC pre-season...sure as heck can't predict it now

Boy, you're right about that.

Northwestern St. still has a chance for the autobid IF we win out AND Sam Houston loses one or more, particularly the Bearkats game against Texas St. Remaining games are against McNeese, @SFA.

McNeese gets the autobid IF they win out OR they win one of their two, Northwestern loses one of their two, Sam Houston loses one of their two, and Nicholls loses one of their two. McNeese controls their own destiny - they win out, they're in. Remaining games are @NWST, Nicholls.

Sam Houston gets the autobid IF they win out AND McNeese loses at least one. Remaining games are @SELA, Texas St.

Nicholls gets the autobid IF they win out and McNeese loses both remaining games, Sam Houston loses both remaining games, and Northwestern loses at least one of their two remaining games. Remaining games are SFA, @McNeese.

There may be a couple of other less likely scenarios where tiebreakers coming into the picture depending on who (if multiple teams) ties for the conference championship.xcoffeex

fuEMO
November 5th, 2006, 10:12 PM
I would love to see a UT Martin Furman match up. That would make some sense SoCon/Big South and a SoCon/OVC matchups but I don't see UT Martin outbidding Furman, for one thing they only have a seating capacity of 8000. Stranger things have happened like sending the Paladins on the road to Nova in 02.

PaladinFan
November 5th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Thats the danger of playing 2 I-As.....you got to beat one......

Unless you are 2005 App. State and get blown out by 2 Div. 1-A's, lose to Furman, and still get the #2 seed with three losses. xidiotx

umassfan
November 5th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Illinois State
Western Kentucky
Youngstown State

GO GUINS!!
Predictions:
YSU 9-2 [5-1] Co-Champs: Auto-Bid #4 SEED
ILSU 9-2 [5-1] Co-Champs: First Round Home Playoff Game
SIU 8-3 [3-3] First Round AWAY Playoff Game
How many times am I going to tell you that if App St, Montana, UMass and JMU win out that YSU will not get a seed.

Appstate29
November 5th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Unless you are 2005 App. State and get blown out by 2 Div. 1-A's, lose to Furman, and still get the #2 seed with three losses. xidiotx

I'd take a 24-0 loss at the #5 or 6 team in the I-A nation any day of the week. Turned out they were pretty right at the seedings too.

GrizFanIRAQ
November 6th, 2006, 12:24 AM
I've been saying San Diego at #2 Montana for a long time and have been getting railed.... nice for someone else to say it :nod:

If it does happen, November is cold VERY cold in WA-GRIZ Stadium....be ready to get railed one more time!!!!

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 6th, 2006, 12:28 AM
If it does happen, November is cold VERY cold in WA-GRIZ Stadium....be ready to get railed one more time!!!!

I'd like to see the players try to adjust to that weather and crowd.

GOTOREROS
November 6th, 2006, 12:31 AM
I'd like to see the players try to adjust to that weather and crowd.

I'm not even sure we have winter parkas! xlolx

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 6th, 2006, 12:34 AM
I love my friends from beach area when they try to come up into the mountains with me... I always get a good laugh at the comments they make about the cold, the terrain, the animals!

PIRATETIZED1
November 6th, 2006, 01:12 AM
What I fiind interesting almost every season is the Big Sky Conference situation. Namely, Montana & Montana State.

Am I correct in thinking that both are definitely in the playoffs if the Montana wins this coming week & loses to MSU on the 18th? If so, who then gets the #2 seed?

PIRATETIZED :cool:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
HAMPTON UNIVERSITY - “…Of Service To God and Our Nation…”

MEAC Football Champions 1997, 1998, 2001, 2004, 2005, Might As Well Add 2006!

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 6th, 2006, 01:23 AM
What I fiind interesting almost every season is the Big Sky Conference situation. Namely, Montana & Montana State.

Am I correct in thinking that both are definitely in the playoffs if the Montana wins this coming week & loses to MSU on the 18th? If so, who then gets the #2 seed?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

In theory, UMass and JMU would move up... but would Montana drop out of the top four or not?

Mr. C
November 6th, 2006, 01:43 AM
Considering that Appalachian State won the national championship, I guess the committee did a pretty good job by seeding the Mountaineers to make it to Chattanooga. When you lose your conference title to another team, you are not going to be seeded ahead of that team. It would have been interesting to see if Furman could have played LSU almost dead even for three quarters last season. If you had any clue, you would not be calling the ASU-LSU game a blowout.The Tiger fans sure weren't calling it a blow out.

Mr. C
November 6th, 2006, 01:46 AM
I would love to see a UT Martin Furman match up. That would make some sense SoCon/Big South and a SoCon/OVC matchups but I don't see UT Martin outbidding Furman, for one thing they only have a seating capacity of 8000. Stranger things have happened like sending the Paladins on the road to Nova in 02.
Little chance of Martin getting a home game and it would be more likely for the Skyhawks to be on the road to one of the Gateway Conference schools than traveling to Furman. The main reason that Furman was on the road to Villanova in 2002 was that the committee wanted to avoid giving the SoCon three home games.

November 6th, 2006, 02:58 AM
Little chance of Martin getting a home game and it would be more likely for the Skyhawks to be on the road to one of the Gateway Conference schools...uh, the GFC v. OVC challenge has not been favorable for the OVC teams... sorta like the MEAC teams being sent to the SOCON... right?

Keeper
November 6th, 2006, 03:14 AM
I can't recall........
who was the last OVC team to win a playoff game?
Jacksonville State?

And how long since one of the top 4 seeds to open
wasn't from one of the 5 power leagues?
(Those are/were Gateway, A10, Sky, SoCon, SLC)

thirdgendin
November 6th, 2006, 05:07 AM
UT Martin host Furman

I would say there is almost no chance of a team averaging 3,687 fans per game will host a team averaging over 12,000 per game.

gobucknell06
November 6th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Furman and Cal Poly need to get wins this week. It's going to be exciting!

nmatsen
November 6th, 2006, 08:18 AM
I am not going to allow mis-info to be posted on here anymore.. It's very evident: UNI has the toughest tough ahead in the GFC, one loss they are going to be done.

If WKU beats YSU next week and we lose to SIU (which will not happen) we are still the only team that holds their own destiny. If that happend we could still beat ISU at the dome on the 18th and get the auto bid as the standings would read.

UNI 5-2
YSU 5-2
WKU 5-2
ILSU 5-2

UNI would be 3-0 against those teams allowing us the auto-bid. Do we have the toughest road? Yes. With SIU out of the Gateway title race we WILL beat the flying saluki dogs that eat children and then we are at home against ILSU. Then some might say we have the best road. Especially after WKU takes down YSU next week.

LUHawker
November 6th, 2006, 08:33 AM
I can't recall........
who was the last OVC team to win a playoff game?
Jacksonville State?

And how long since one of the top 4 seeds to open
wasn't from one of the 5 power leagues?
(Those are/were Gateway, A10, Sky, SoCon, SLC)

Colgate was seeded in 2003 (Patriot League)

OL FU
November 6th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Colgate was seeded in 2003 (Patriot League)

and Hampton was seeded last year

Khan4Cats
November 6th, 2006, 10:11 AM
How many times am I going to tell you that if App St, Montana, UMass and JMU win out that YSU will not get a seed.

I disagree. If YSU wins this week and finishes 9-2, I think they get the seed, and two guaranteed money games for the NCAA. Not that it is right based on records, but I just see the committee as being political and won't seed two teams from the A-10 (not there is a rule against it) plus YSU will put 18-20K in the stands for their home games.

umassfan
November 6th, 2006, 10:19 AM
I disagree. If YSU wins this week and finishes 9-2, I think they get the seed, and two guaranteed money games for the NCAA. Not that it is right based on records, but I just see the committee as being political and won't seed two teams from the A-10 (not there is a rule against it) plus YSU will put 18-20K in the stands for their home games.
Attendace means nothing for seeds. People keep bringing up attendance but that is not even looked at. I dont know why everyone has a false impression. If two teams finish undefeated in A10 play, something that was last done in 93, then both would get seeds.

ysubigred
November 6th, 2006, 10:36 AM

The way the Guins are playing at home I would rather see them on the road xidiotx Not to mention I would have a 1000 mile round trip to Y-town :hurray:

nmatsen
November 6th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Attendace means nothing for seeds. People keep bringing up attendance but that is not even looked at. I dont know why everyone has a false impression. If two teams finish undefeated in A10 play, something that was last done in 93, then both would get seeds.

Funny, why does Montana get a seed every year, even at 8-3? I am sure it has nothing to do with them having 23,000 people at every game does it?

JMU_Fan_2007
November 6th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Even if attendence does have a pull, there's nothing to say YSU had the upper hand on JMU. YSU's average attendence is 16,472, JMU's is 15,133. Granted, JMU has a smaller stadium, but JMU has averaged 108% capacity for the year. YSU has only averaged 80%. There's no reason to think JMU wouldn't have 18,000 people at a playoff game. App St can hit 135% Capacity, no reason JMU can't!

BillLuc1982
November 6th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Funny, why does Montana get a seed every year, even at 8-3? I am sure it has nothing to do with them having 23,000 people at every game does it?

Autobid

rcny46
November 6th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Furman and Cal Poly need to get wins this week. It's going to be exciting!

UNH needs to win at URI as well,or it's over for them.

nmatsen
November 6th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Autobid

That has nothing to do with it, in 03' Montana was 8-3 at home in the first round and Montana State won the auto-bid and recieved a reward of a trip to the UNI-Dome!

CrunchGriz
November 6th, 2006, 01:34 PM
That has nothing to do with it, in 03' Montana was 8-3 at home in the first round and Montana State won the auto-bid and recieved a reward of a trip to the UNI-Dome!

Montana lost to MSU that year and MSU got the autobid, but UM had a better overall record and ranking--hence, the home game while MSU traveled.

If Montana is close to the top ten at regular season's end, you're right, they will get a first-round home game over a slightly higher rated team that has clearly poorer attendance. As you're aware, it's not a true seeding system for home games after the top four seeds. Just the way the finances are now (or the NCAA deems them to be) in I-AA.

Solution: Support your team better. I don't like the system either, but I'm never gonna apologize for the Griz having great fan support.

Chi Panther
November 6th, 2006, 01:42 PM
I think MSU was 7-4 that year.....so UNI was rewarded playing the team with the worst record in the field......

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 6th, 2006, 01:44 PM
My scenario as of 11/6/06:

Top Half:
#1 ASU vs. Coastal Carolina
ISU vs. McNeese St.

Furman vs. TN-Martin
#4 JMU vs. Hampton

Bottom Half:
#3 UMass vs. Lehigh
YSU vs. UNH

Cal Poly vs. UNI (Not sure which would be the home team)
#2 Montana vs. (SURPRISE PICK) Eastern Illinois

Ok, I'm ready for the beat down now.

I think it's tricky to pick who goes West. Many more teams in the East, that's always the hard part.

B&G
November 6th, 2006, 02:01 PM
I think Delaware St will win the MEAC.

MarkCCU
November 6th, 2006, 02:07 PM
I would love for Coastal to return to AppState, that'd be a heck of a game

BDKJMU
November 6th, 2006, 02:09 PM
If two teams finish undefeated in A10 play, something that was last done in 93, then both would get seeds.

UNH was the last team to go 8-0 in the A-10 in 94', not 93'

henfan
November 6th, 2006, 02:12 PM
I think Delaware St will win the MEAC.

You think FAMU is going to upset Hampton this Saturday? That's what it would take for DSU to get the MEAC auto-bid, along with the Hornets winning their last two games (vs. Howard & Norfolk St.)

ysubigred
November 6th, 2006, 03:21 PM

BINGO!!

Home team = $$ + Attendance to make it look good on TV :twocents:

Seeds for the playoffs :confused: :confused: :confused: the last few years :mad:

B&G
November 6th, 2006, 03:34 PM
You think FAMU is going to upset Hampton this Saturday? That's what it would take for DSU to get the MEAC auto-bid, along with the Hornets winning their last two games (vs. Howard & Norfolk St.)

I know it is a longshot but I haven't been impressed with Hampton since the SCSU loss. They followed that by having a tough time w/ Winston and there for a little bit I thought they lost to Bethune because ESPN had the scores backward on Thursday night during the WV/Lou game. Although perhaps with the championship on the line they might actually come to play versus FAMU.

Saluki_man
November 6th, 2006, 06:22 PM
If WKU beats YSU next week and we lose to SIU (which will not happen) we are still the only team that holds their own destiny. If that happend we could still beat ISU at the dome on the 18th and get the auto bid as the standings would read.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. The first rule in Gateway football, never garantee a road win against a top tier opponent.

PIRATETIZED1
November 8th, 2006, 04:53 AM
Posted by B&G
Quote:
Originally Posted by henfan

I know it is a longshot but I haven't been impressed with Hampton since the SCSU loss. They followed that by having a tough time w/ Winston and there for a little bit I thought they lost to Bethune because ESPN had the scores backward on Thursday night during the WV/Lou game. Although perhaps with the championship on the line they might actually come to play versus FAMU.

As a "Fanatical" 'Ole PIRATE, I was not impressed with HU's performance either. But if it was not clear to me then (about the SCSU & WSSU games), it became clear when I watched HU win vs. B-CC...the difference was "Zo"! Coleman was the difference (rushing for 180 yds & 2 TD's) in the B-CC (a team that beat SCSU 45-21) GAME!! Coleman was too hurt to play vs. SCSU (1 CARRY FOR 2 YDS, then sidelined for rest of game)& WSSU (did not suit up). Currently he's still only 60 - 70%. But best believe, he'll be SUITED UP & ready to go vs. FAMU.

Based on those facts, now what say you?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

bandl
November 8th, 2006, 07:43 AM
BINGO!!

Home team = $$ + Attendance to make it look good on TV :twocents:

Uh....remember watching the home games at UNH last year???

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 8th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Uh....remember watching the home games at UNH last year???

Yup yup... and also remember not seeing any home games in '04 :bang:

bandl
November 8th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Yup yup... and also remember not seeing any home games in '04 :bang:

That's been discussed before...the committee doesn't want to give any conference more than 2 home games. We had 4 teams in the playoffs that year, JMU was on the short end of that discussion. But it all worked out. ;)

nmatsen
November 8th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Don't count your chickens before they hatch. The first rule in Gateway football, never garantee a road win against a top tier opponent.

YSU 5-1
ISU 4-1
UNI 4-1
WKU 4-2
SIU 3-3
WIU 2-4
INSU 1-5
MSU 0-6

Did you mean top tier of the lower half of the division Saluki_Man? That is the only top tier I see you guys in at 3-3:smiley_wi

shakdaddy3
November 8th, 2006, 08:44 AM
YSU 5-1
ISU 4-1
UNI 4-1
WKU 4-2
SIU 3-3
WIU 2-4
INSU 1-5
MSU 0-6

Did you mean top tier of the lower half of the division Saluki_Man? That is the only top tier I see you guys in at 3-3:smiley_wi
interesting thing is is that you guys have the same record... congrats

nmatsen
November 8th, 2006, 09:16 AM
interesting thing is is that you guys have the same record... congrats

4-1 = 3-3? I think not

4-1 > 3-3

So the overall record is the same, yeah I get your point but I think that Saluki_Man was referencing that SIU was a top tier Gateway team (which in my honest opinion yes I believe that SIU is a top tier Gateway team).

It is important to read through posts and notice little things like :smiley_wi or;) to see when maybe someone is just trying to ruffle your feathers.

Jeaso, these flying saluki dogs that eat children fans are testy:smiley_wi

See how that works?

kats89
November 8th, 2006, 09:22 AM
We just have to take care of business and let the chips fall where they may. If McNeese and SHSU both lose this weekend, things will get very confusing.:eek:

shakdaddy3
November 8th, 2006, 09:32 AM
4-1 = 3-3? I think not

4-1 > 3-3

So the overall record is the same, yeah I get your point but I think that Saluki_Man was referencing that SIU was a top tier Gateway team (which in my honest opinion yes I believe that SIU is a top tier Gateway team).

It is important to read through posts and notice little things like :smiley_wi or;) to see when maybe someone is just trying to ruffle your feathers.

See how that works?
see, i was reffering to the overall record... also, record does not indicate if a team is top tier or not... WIU COULD be considered a top tier gateway team that just couldn't pull out some clsoe victories...

so, no, i don't see how it works :smiley_wi

p.s. i'm not a flying saluki dog that eat children fan... i'm a "we don't want to get confused with the MLB team cardinals so lets be the redbirds" fan :hurray:

Saluki_man
November 9th, 2006, 09:53 PM
4-1 = 3-3? I think not

4-1 > 3-3

See how that works?

I don't eat children,, but panther meat sure does taste good:D

skinny_uncle
November 9th, 2006, 10:04 PM
The Panthers have not won in Carbondale since 1996. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
:D

McNeese75
November 9th, 2006, 11:23 PM
We just have to take care of business and let the chips fall where they may. If McNeese and SHSU both lose this weekend, things will get very confusing.:eek:

yall planning on losing? :D

crunifan
November 9th, 2006, 11:32 PM
The Panthers have not won in Carbondale since 1996. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
:D

Which is exactly why it is time to celebrate the ten year anniversary! :thumbsup:

Chucktown
November 9th, 2006, 11:40 PM
EIU at large

Torero Tradition
November 10th, 2006, 12:07 AM
San Diego at large in the West

DB_Atlantic10
November 10th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Little chance of Martin getting a home game and it would be more likely for the Skyhawks to be on the road to one of the Gateway Conference schools than traveling to Furman. The main reason that Furman was on the road to Villanova in 2002 was that the committee wanted to avoid giving the SoCon three home games. I thought it was all about the money beyond the 4 seeds.......:eyebrow:

DB_Atlantic10
November 10th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Montana lost to MSU that year and MSU got the autobid, but UM had a better overall record and ranking--hence, the home game while MSU traveled.

If Montana is close to the top ten at regular season's end, you're right, they will get a first-round home game over a slightly higher rated team that has clearly poorer attendance. As you're aware, it's not a true seeding system for home games after the top four seeds. Just the way the finances are now (or the NCAA deems them to be) in I-AA.

Solution: Support your team better. I don't like the system either, but I'm never gonna apologize for the Griz having great fan support. Amen to that.....xcoffeex

Mr. C
November 10th, 2006, 10:41 AM
I thought it was all about the money beyond the 4 seeds.......:eyebrow:
That's what they say. It isn't always what they do. A lot of people were surprised Georgia Southern didn't get a home game last year.

henfan
November 10th, 2006, 10:53 AM
That's what they say. It isn't always what they do. A lot of people were surprised Georgia Southern didn't get a home game last year.

Considering GSU's recent playoff attendance, I don't think many people were all that surprised.

FU97
November 10th, 2006, 11:39 AM
I'd take a 24-0 loss at the #5 or 6 team in the I-A nation any day of the week. Turned out they were pretty right at the seedings too.

If the semi were in Greenville, I'm not sure the outcome would have been the same.

Daved
November 11th, 2006, 10:37 PM
:DGuess they will have to wait for 2008 for another shot at it.

shakdaddy3
November 11th, 2006, 10:47 PM

UNI 5-2
YSU 5-2
WKU 5-2
ILSU 5-2

UNI would be 3-0 against those teams allowing us the auto-bid. Do we have the toughest road? Yes. With SIU out of the Gateway title race we WILL beat the flying saluki dogs that eat children and then we are at home against ILSU. Then some might say we have the best road. Especially after WKU takes down YSU next week.

prediction didn't quite hold up, huh?

good season UNI... some tough losses...

Saluki_man
November 12th, 2006, 08:49 AM

hmmm tastyxlolx

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 12th, 2006, 09:10 AM
#1 ASU host Coastal

UT Martin host Furman

#4 JMU host Hampton

S. Ill host Towson

#2 Montana host Ill St

Cal Poly host McNeese St

#3 Mass host Lehigh

Young St. host N. Hamp

If Towson is in (they have three losses so far) it means they have beaten JMU, in which case JMU won't be #4.

CCU97
November 12th, 2006, 09:11 AM
OK....so who does everyone think will be in the playoffs now? Tough weekend for a few teams.

siugrad99
November 12th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Wait a minute I thought UNI wasn't going to lose to SIU ? Oops.... Enjoy the off-season. We'll see you soon at your basketball Arena for a repeat of the football game ;)

CCU97
November 12th, 2006, 09:19 AM
For me right now it looks like

#1 UMass v

#2 App St.

#3 Montanta

#4 Youngstown St

Beyond that you have ALBs and AQs:

JMU
Ill St
Tenn-Martin
UNH
San Diego
Furman
Towson
Hampton
Coastal
McNeese St.
Wofford
Lehigh

Many of these teams could lose next week and really make this fun....

rokamortis
November 12th, 2006, 09:25 AM
For me right now it looks like
Many of these teams could lose next week and really make this fun....

Hope history doesn't repeat itself for us. We need this next game in every possible way.

CCU97
November 12th, 2006, 09:31 AM
We sure do...but it isn't a gimme so we could lose it....lets just hope we go out and play 4 quarters of ball!

siugrad99
November 12th, 2006, 09:39 AM
You must be smoking crack. SIU with 8 wins and a win over a Big Ten team gets in. The toughest conference in the country does not only get 2 bids... dream buddy dream. Leave your bias at the door next time.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 12th, 2006, 09:42 AM
My predictions after November 11 (correct me if I overlook something)

my key game predictions

Montana over Montana State
JMU over Towson
New Hampshire over Maine
UNI over Illinois State (not in the dome, Redbirds)
SDSU over NDSU (my upset pick :D , not sure if SDSU is eligible yet)

So the Autobids become

Socon: App State
A10: UMASS
Gateway: YSU
OVC: UT Martin
MEAC: Hampton
Patriot: Lehigh
Big Sky: Montana
Southland: McNeese

This makes the at large Bids

Socon: Furman
A10: New Hampshire, JMU
Gateway: UNI, SIU, Illinois State
Great West: Cal Poly, South Dakota State (not sure if they are playoff eligible yet, insert San Diego here if they are not)

Seeds:

#1 App State
#2 Montana
#3 UMASS
#4 JMU

Brackets

#1 ASU versus McNeese State
Furman versus Hampton

UNI versus New Hampshire
#4 JMU versus SIU

#2 UMASS versus Lehigh
Illinois State versus UT Martin

Northern Iowa versus South Dakota State
#3 Montana versus Cal Poly (again)

rokamortis
November 12th, 2006, 09:47 AM
pwns - SDSU isn't eligible and Cal Poly can't get to 7 DI wins.

siugrad99
November 12th, 2006, 09:55 AM
uni is done

shakdaddy3
November 12th, 2006, 09:57 AM
pwns, UNI will be 7-4 with a win over ILSU and one of those losses is to a DII team... so, they are not making the playoffs...

also, JMU just lost to villanova... do u really think they will give them a seed over a 9-2 YSU team that won the gateway? :twocents:

siugrad99
November 12th, 2006, 10:01 AM
clueless :)

shakdaddy3
November 12th, 2006, 10:03 AM
clueless :)
i know... don't you love it?

IMO, do research if you are going to make predictions.... but hey, that's just logic standing between us and some predictors here ;)

siugrad99
November 12th, 2006, 10:11 AM
100% agree

shakdaddy3
November 12th, 2006, 10:28 AM
so here's the AQs we already have in:
Appalachian St - SoCon
Youngstown St - Gateway
MASSACHUSETTS – A10
Hampton - MEAC
Patriot - Lehigh

and these are teams that are still playing for AQs:

Southland: Sam Houston State and McNeese State both are 3-1. Here's a nice little blurb about it from the conference website, "If Sam Houston State and McNeese State each win their final two games, the two will be Southland co-champions. McNeese would earn the league's NCAA I-AA playoff berth by virtue of the Cowboys' 31-18 victory over Sam Houston. If the Kats and the Cowboys each lose a game, that could set up a multi-team tie of squads with two losses. The first criteria for breaking such a tie is head-to-head competition. The second criteria is record against lower teams, going one by one down the standings. If there still is no tiebreaker, the team that has been absent the longest out of the national playoffs will earn the league's berth. Last playoff apperances for the teams in contention are Stephen F. Austin 1999, McNeese 2003, Northwestern Sate 2004, SHSU 2004, and Nicholls 2005."

Big Sky: The winner of next Saturday's Montana-Montana State game will claim the league's automatic bid to the playoffs.

OVC: this conference comes down to a coin toss for the auotbid, at least that's what i've read on AGS. So, if both UT-Martin and EIU win next week, does it come down to a coin toss? i'm not really sure and i cannot find anything at the OVC website to help me out.. so, head UT-Martin, tails EIU, i guess...

please correct me if i'm wrong

HensRock
November 12th, 2006, 10:31 AM
My best guess at this point:

Autos:
App State
Hampton
UMass
Youngstown
Montana
TN-Martin
Lehigh
Sam Houston or anyone from SLC

At-Large:
ILL State
SIU
UNH
JMU
Furman
Del State
Coastal Car.
Portland State

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 12th, 2006, 10:33 AM
I missed the JMU loss for some reason.

Also, you can get in if you are 7-4 if all of the wins are DI wins. I think you can make an argument for Portland State, UNI, and Montana State (if they lose to the Griz) at 7-4.

danefan
November 12th, 2006, 10:38 AM

Also, you can get in if you are 7-4 if all of the wins are DI wins. I think you can make an argument for Portland State, UNI, and Montana State (if they lose to the Griz) at 7-4.

I think it will be a strong case if the committee is left to decide between San Diego and Monmouth or Portland State, UNI or Montana State.
Do you think they could actually pick San Deigo or Monmouth over those three?

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 12th, 2006, 10:46 AM
I think it will be a strong case if the committee is left to decide between San Diego and Monmouth or Portland State, UNI or Montana State.
Do you think they could actually pick San Deigo or Monmouth over those three?

They shouldn't, but they might. Another thing to consider...if New Hampshire loses Saturday, that would be another possibility for a 7-4 team getting in. They should definitly get consideration as the A10 is pretty tough this year.

SO ILLmatic
November 12th, 2006, 11:08 AM
IMO the committee should consider Monmouth before they consider San Diego. Monmouth finished 10 & 1 and one loss coming in conference play (to 5-6 Stony Brook). This being done in the NEC, which has picked up some key non-conference wins this year. From top to bottom it just appears that Monmouth's schedule was more difficult than San Diego's. Which would give them more cred. with the committee.

GreenDay17
November 12th, 2006, 11:11 AM

Won't UNI only have 6 D-I wins since one of their wins was against North Dakota?

cosmo here
November 12th, 2006, 11:15 AM
so here's the AQs we already have in:

Patriot - Lehigh

please correct me if i'm wrong

If Lafayette beats Lehigh, Lafayette's in. If Lehigh wins, they're in.

cosmo here
November 12th, 2006, 11:17 AM
My predictions after November 11 (correct me if I overlook something)

my key game predictions

Patriot: Lehigh

You didn't make a prediction on Lafayette-Lehigh. If Lafayette wins, they're in. Lehigh is 5-0, Lafayette 4-1 . . a Lafayette win makes both 5-1, and Lafayette has the head-to-head. Lehigh isn't in yet.

igo4uni
November 12th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Won't UNI only have 6 D-I wins since one of their wins was against North Dakota?

Uhhhh...............North Dakota beat UNI :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

PantherRob82
November 12th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Well, we are out. Looking forward to some good playoff action from the teams who stepped up this year.

McNeeserocket
November 12th, 2006, 11:19 AM

Autos:
App State
Hampton
UMass
Youngstown
Montana
TN-Martin
Lehigh

At-Large:
ILL State
SIU
UNH
JMU
Furman
Del State
Coastal Car.
Portland State

Although Sam Houston could still win the conference by winning its final game and McNeese losing its final game, McNeese actually still holds the advantage right now.

The above is the only way Sam Houston goes to the playoffs. However if

If McNeese and Sam Houston each wins their last game, then they are co-conference champs and McNeese goes to the playoffs by winning the tie-break
If McNeese and Sam Houston each loses their last game, then they are co-conference champs and McNesse goes to the playoffs by winning the tie-break
If McNeese wins and Sam Houston loses their last games, then McNeese wins the conference out right and goes to the playoffs.

Anything could happen, but I don't think you should assume Sam Houston will win the Southland at this point.

mainejeff
November 12th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Towson and UNH are going to have a tough time getting win #8. I don't think that Towson will beat JMU. UNH should find a way to pull out the game vs. Maine. Maine could just show up and get creamed, but if the defense decides to put in the effort.....then it will be much closer......I'll say UNH 7 Maine 0.

If Towson and UNH both win, then I think that the A-10 gets 4 teams in.

McNeeserocket
November 12th, 2006, 11:23 AM

Autos:
App State
Hampton
UMass
Youngstown
Montana
TN-Martin
Lehigh

At-Large:
ILL State
SIU
UNH
JMU
Furman
Del State
Coastal Car.
Portland State

Although Sam Houston could still win the conference by winning its final game and McNeese losing its final game, McNeese actually still holds the advantage right now.

The above is the only way Sam Houston goes to the playoffs. However if

If McNeese and Sam Houston each wins their last game, then they are co-conference champs and McNeese goes to the playoffs by winning the tie-break
If McNeese and Sam Houston each loses their last game, then they are co-conference champs and McNesse goes to the playoffs by winning the tie-break
If McNeese wins and Sam Houston loses their last games, then McNeese wins the conference out right and goes to the playoffs.

Anything could happen, but I don't think you should assume Sam Houston will win the Southland at this point.

GreenDay17
November 12th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Uhhhh...............North Dakota beat UNI :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Oops. Sorry to reopen the wound.

BlueHen86
November 12th, 2006, 11:43 AM

Autos:
App State
Hampton
UMass
Youngstown
Montana
TN-Martin
Lehigh

At-Large:
ILL State
SIU
UNH
JMU
Furman
Del State
Coastal Car.
Portland State
I agree with the above.
I think Del St and Coastal get in at 9 - 2
The winner of the JMU - Towson game gets in. If JMU loses to Towson they might be in trouble with two straight loses to end the season.
If Montana St beats Montana then I think Portland St is out.
I think San Diego gets consideration, but I don't think they make it. (I changed my mind on this, their best win - Yale - doesn't look so good anymore and all the teams listed are more deserving IMO)

McNeeserocket
November 12th, 2006, 10:52 PM

Actually whether both teams lose or whether both teams win it will have the same outcome, which is McNeese goes to the playoffs.

Only a McNeese loss and a Sam Houston win will have Sam Houston going to the playoffs.