PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 9-29

JALMOND
October 1st, 2014, 10:24 PM
One week of conference play down, many weeks still to play, and still a lot left to decide. But after the first week we did get some clarity in an otherwise murky race, that is top to bottom may be closer than we thought, especially with the results of EWU/UCD and UND/MSU. Here are this week's Big Sky power rankings (last week in parenthesis). Once again all are my opinion only and all open for discussion. Sorry it's so late. Have at it.

1. Eastern Washington (1)---The Eagles toyed with UC-Davis for the first half before erupting in the second half. Conference play had a tendency to do that, but if they keep it up, the race may not be as one-sided as we thought. They get Idaho State at home this weekend.

2. Montana State (2)---The Bobcats got the win last week at home against North Dakota but it was never a comfortable lead. Still a win is a win and they get to move on. This weekend they head out on the road to Sacramento State.

3. Montana (3)---The Grizzlies did the opposite of what the other leaders did. They jumped out early on Northern Colorado then kept them at bay the rest of the game. This week finds them on the road themselves at North Dakota.

4. Northern Arizona (5)---The Lumberjacks welcomed Cal Poly to their cozy den last week and dispatched the Mustangs back home with a loss. The South Dakota loss becoming a distant memory, this week they head out to Northern Colorado.

5. Southern Utah (6)---In the fight for a first win, the Thunderbirds got by Weber State and obtained their first win. They are hoping they can build on the momentum this weekend as they hit the road, playing at Cal Poly.

6. Cal Poly (7)---The Mustangs hung around last weekend at Northern Arizona but could not get the win at the end of the game. They return home this weekend and play Southern Utah in what should be a tough test.

7. Idaho State (11)---In what was a mild shocker, the Bengals routed Sacramento State in the conference opener for both teams last weekend. Are they truly for real this year? We will find out this weekend as they head to Eastern Washington.

8. Sacramento State (4)---The Hornets were hoping for a great season this year, but they could not get anything going at Idaho State last weekend, heading home with a tough loss. Things don't get easier this weekend as they play Montana State.

9. UC-Davis (9)---The Aggies threw a scare last weekend at home against Eastern Washington, only to see the real Eagles wake up in the second half. Hoping to play a complete game, they hit the road to play Portland State this weekend.

10. Weber State (8)---The Wildcats stayed within shouting distance last weekend at Southern Utah but what is becoming the norm for this year, they still emerged with the loss. They get this weekend off to recover and refocus.

11. North Dakota (10)---The No-Names headed out to Montana State last week and, while they got a loss, they did not cower against the mighty Bobcats. Good practice for this weekend as they stay at home, but Montana is coming in.

12. Portland State (12)---Unlike all the other conference members, the Vikings did not start their season last week, opting instead to staying at home and getting ready for this weekend's home contest against UC-Davis.

13. Northern Colorado (13)---The Bears were game, but the actual game at Montana was pretty much decided by the end of the first quarter. They get to return and regroup this weekend as they play Northern Arizona at home.

RECAP: 1-3 together, 4-13 together.

tomq04
October 1st, 2014, 10:37 PM
1-3 could easily lose this season, but I suspect it will come down to ewu winning conference and The Brawl will decide if montana state gets to share the crown.

robsnotes4u
October 1st, 2014, 10:54 PM
1-3 could easily lose this season, but I suspect it will come down to ewu winning conference and The Brawl will decide if montana state gets to share the crown.

Right and the other issue is NAU doesn't play either Montana teams. The question is with the BSC being very weak when you look at the OOC record this year will they take 4 teams from the BSC?

1. EWU 0 losses
2. MSU 0 losses
3. NAU 1 loss
4. UM 2 losses

tomq04
October 2nd, 2014, 10:42 AM
All I know is that EWU has the most favorable schedule of the past 3 years...which is makes up for last years brutal one! NAU being able to skip both Montana schools seems...like an oversight.

GetEmGriz
October 2nd, 2014, 10:56 AM
All I know is I absolutely hate this conference having 13 teams and every team doesn't play each other... xsmhx the round-robin system we had only a few years a go was great, leaving no doubt who was the best in the Big Sky.

veinup
October 2nd, 2014, 11:40 AM
All I know is I absolutely hate this conference having 13 teams and every team doesn't play each other... xsmhx the round-robin system we had only a few years a go was great, leaving no doubt who was the best in the Big Sky.

totally agree, the current situation stinks.

Catbooster
October 2nd, 2014, 12:39 PM
Right and the other issue is NAU doesn't play either Montana teams. The question is with the BSC being very weak when you look at the OOC record this year will they take 4 teams from the BSC?

1. EWU 0 losses
2. MSU 0 losses
3. NAU 1 loss
4. UM 2 losses

If it ends up like that, which is a big if at this point in the season, it is probably the best chance the Big Sky would have at getting 4 teams in. I think UM, based on history, has a better chance of making the playoffs with 2 conference losses than anyone else. It helps that they are currently ranked high and their only losses in this scenario are against teams that would be highly ranked.

Red & Black
October 2nd, 2014, 01:16 PM

I agree. 13 is an odd number...and 14 would be even stranger without Divisions and the ability to play a conference for a conference championship. We were able to run the table last season, but I wonder if we might run into some scenarios where more than one team goes 8-0 in conference. You could win every conference game on your schedule and still have to share a title...kinda weird.

Red & Black
October 2nd, 2014, 01:17 PM
If it ends up like that, which is a big if at this point in the season, it is probably the best chance the Big Sky would have at getting 4 teams in. I think UM, based on history, has a better chance of making the playoffs with 2 conference losses than anyone else. It helps that they are currently ranked high and their only losses in this scenario are against teams that would be highly ranked.

We'd get in as an at-large with 2 conference losses and a 9-3 record.

GetEmGriz
October 2nd, 2014, 02:20 PM

Same for UM. With only 2 conference losses and 8-4, no way a school like UM doesn't get in. In that scenario, UM would not get a seed and most likely would be playing the first-weekend play-in game.

robsnotes4u
October 2nd, 2014, 02:39 PM
Same for UM. With only 2 conference losses and 8-4, no way a school like UM doesn't get in. In that scenario, UM would not get a seed and most likely would be playing the first-weekend play-in game.

I would agree. It should never be based on reputation but it is. That is not why I think they would get in. They would have a strong SOS if their 3 FCS losses were EWU, MSU, and NDSU, and played them tight.

It does suck that a team does not play all three of the top teams (at least at this time) and have a chance at a title. Funny thing is we talk about these scenarios, and they never seem to happen like we think they do. Someone gets upset, or more key injuries happen. Look at UNI last year, two big injuries in the NDSU game, and the season falls apart.

Red & Black
October 2nd, 2014, 03:23 PM

Maybe. Slightly different scenario, though. 9-3 with 2 conference losses still gives us 8 DI wins. Montana at 8-4 would only have 7 DI wins. Not saying that'd keep UM out, but 2 conference losses for each puts the teams in different situations. Losing 2 non-conference games doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room for UM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GetEmGriz
October 2nd, 2014, 03:31 PM
Maybe. Slightly different scenario, though. 9-3 with 2 conference losses still gives us 8 DI wins. Montana at 8-4 would only have 7 DI wins. Not saying that'd keep UM out, but 2 conference losses for each puts the teams in different situations. Losing 2 non-conference games doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room for UM.

Very true. Just out of curiosity, who do you see the Eags possibly losing to on the remaining schedule that could potentially put EWU at 9-3 heading into the playoffs?

robsnotes4u
October 2nd, 2014, 03:37 PM
Very true. Just out of curiosity, who do you see the Eags possibly losing to on the remaining schedule that could potentially put EWU at 9-3 heading into the playoffs?

Kind of a different feeling this year by some fans. Less chess pumping. Interesting.

Great question, by the way

Red & Black
October 2nd, 2014, 03:40 PM

@NAU and UM are the two games with the biggest potential for a L, IMO.

dbackjon
October 2nd, 2014, 04:54 PM
All I know is that EWU has the most favorable schedule of the past 3 years...which is makes up for last years brutal one! NAU being able to skip both Montana schools seems...like an oversight.

Yup - the Montana schools got lucky :)

robsnotes4u
October 2nd, 2014, 05:04 PM
Yup - the Montana schools got lucky :)
Could very well be

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but not their own facts

Catbooster
October 2nd, 2014, 05:49 PM
I agree. I just wasn't thinking about you guys having two losses.

Rjones61
October 3rd, 2014, 12:03 AM

I'm seeing UM as the most likely loss. It's a very interesting match up. It's as if all of our most dominant players face each other (Henderson and Jones vs Wadood and McDonald, EWU O-line vs Griz D-Line, Forte vs Speedy linebackers, etc.), while our least dominant players each other (EWU D-line vs Griz O-line). Weird match up which will have a lot of surprises.

JALMOND
October 3rd, 2014, 12:58 AM

Their last game at Portland State won't be easy. Viks played them tough in Cheney last year.

dudeitsaid
October 3rd, 2014, 01:26 AM
Their last game at Portland State won't be easy. Viks played them tough in Cheney last year.

Agree. I never used to consider this a rivalry, but it seems more and more the teams do, and the game has a life of it's own. Whether or not PSU has a strong season won't matter, they will be a tough out at home for the Eagles.

And I am still a little pissed that the Vikings ruined EWU's chances of making it back to the playoffs in 2011. There are some things you just don't get over!:D

MTfan4life
October 3rd, 2014, 01:30 AM

1. EWU 0 losses
2. MSU 0 losses
3. NAU 1 loss
4. UM 2 losses

I'd be surprised if NAU gets through their schedule with just 1 win. Yes, it's a terrible schedule, much like Cal Poly's the first year the conference expanded, but I would be surprised if they didn't have at least one letdown game. Although, I thought they'd get rolled by Poly, so I've been surprised before.

My other comment is that I don't think they look at conference OOC. Each team is its own individual in the committee's eyes. If they looked at things like conference strength, how does the MEAC get multiple teams and how did the OVC before last season get multiple teams? (the conference was strong last season, not really before) People get so obsessed in looking at conference strength, but it just doesn't seem to be something they look at. While impossible, if one conference had nine 9-3 teams, the committee would put them all in. There's no conference number to follow aside from all of them getting at least one. That's just the way I've observed it all. For example, if the Valley ends up with 5 teams and 7-5 and the MEAC has SCSU, BCU, and NCAT all at 10-2. I personally think there would be a lot of pants heading for the laundry room. Conference statistics don't seem to matter when it comes to the committee because they seem to love putting in teams who have as minimal losses as possible. (With the exception of Lehigh, but who cares about them? ;) )

ming01
October 3rd, 2014, 02:12 AM
1. EWU
2. Montana
3. MSU
4. NAU
5. Cal Poly
6. Idaho State
7. SUU
8. Sacramento State
9. UND
10. Weber State
11. UC-Davis
12. UNC
13. Portland State

#TheWord

Your 4th best team lost to one of the MVFCs worst. #Whoops #BigFluffy

robsnotes4u
October 3rd, 2014, 06:57 AM
I'd be surprised if NAU gets through their schedule with just 1 win. Yes, it's a terrible schedule, much like Cal Poly's the first year the conference expanded, but I would be surprised if they didn't have at least one letdown game. Although, I thought they'd get rolled by Poly, so I've been surprised before.

My other comment is that I don't think they look at conference OOC. Each team is its own individual in the committee's eyes. If they looked at things like conference strength, how does the MEAC get multiple teams and how did the OVC before last season get multiple teams? (the conference was strong last season, not really before) People get so obsessed in looking at conference strength, but it just doesn't seem to be something they look at. While impossible, if one conference had nine 9-3 teams, the committee would put them all in. There's no conference number to follow aside from all of them getting at least one. That's just the way I've observed it all. For example, if the Valley ends up with 5 teams and 7-5 and the MEAC has SCSU, BCU, and NCAT all at 10-2. I personally think there would be a lot of pants heading for the laundry room. Conference statistics don't seem to matter when it comes to the committee because they seem to love putting in teams who have as minimal losses as possible. (With the exception of Lehigh, but who cares about them? ;) )
You are correct in past years, and moving forward, after introducing it last year, you will find the selection committee embracing SRS as a major tool in their process.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but not their own facts

Red & Black
October 3rd, 2014, 07:41 PM
1. EWU
2. Montana
3. MSU
4. NAU
5. Cal Poly
6. Idaho State
7. SUU
8. Sacramento State
9. UND
10. Weber State
11. UC-Davis
12. UNC
13. Portland State

#TheWord

Your 4th best team lost to one of the MVFCs worst. #Whoops #BigFluffy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmwqnqL3Hbg

Red & Black
October 3rd, 2014, 07:43 PM

Basically every year. Never seems to matter what the records are in that one.