PDA

View Full Version : jmu & playoffs

kobe
November 5th, 2006, 11:54 AM
with all of this playoff and seeding talk, is james madison capable of recieving one of the top 4 seeds? insight anyone?

JMU Duke Dog
November 5th, 2006, 12:04 PM
If JMU beats Villanova and Towson, then the Dukes definitely deserve to be seeded. :nod:

Sam Adams
November 5th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Right now, I don't see why JMU should not be considered as a strong candidate for a seed. Still some football left to play however.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 5th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Obviously it's going to come down to YSU, JMU, Umass, Montana and App if all 5 take care of business. If i was to guess who would be left out SOS, $$ etc i would say Umass unfairly.

kobe
November 5th, 2006, 12:19 PM
why would ysu get a seed over jmu and vice versa?

umassfan
November 5th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Obviously it's going to come down to YSU, JMU, Umass, Montana and App if all 5 take care of business. If i was to guess who would be left out SOS, $$ etc i would say Umass unfairly.
If UMass wins out they will win the A10 AQ. That alone will get them a seed. YSU has more losses and might not even win their conference. Also $$ has nothing to do with seeds. Just look at Colgate a few years ago.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 5th, 2006, 01:19 PM
why would ysu get a seed over jmu and vice versa?

Not anymore, unless some major upsets happen!

Sam Adams
November 5th, 2006, 01:26 PM

Doubtful since UMass would be the A10 Champion and since UMass AD John McCutcheon is on the selection committee. You'd probably see Appy, UMass, Montana and YSU or JMU.

ChickenMan
November 5th, 2006, 01:58 PM
No brainer to me... if both win out...UMass should get a seed over JMU... JMU has a I-AA loss (ASU) while UMass would be unbeaten vs I-AA and have only the one point loss to 'Bowl' bound I-A Navy.

mcveyrl
November 5th, 2006, 02:34 PM
No brainer to me... if both win out...UMass should get a seed over JMU... JMU has a I-AA loss (ASU) while UMass would be unbeaten vs I-AA and have only the one point loss to 'Bowl' bound I-A Navy.

I agree. Although if both win out they should both get a seed, IMO. May not happen, but, as many have said, it doesn't matter, b/c the playoffs will sort it all out!!

th0m
November 5th, 2006, 02:49 PM
All this seed no seed thing is getting rather old rather quickly. Let's just win out, all we can do at this point. And assume our AD will never schedule a DII again. (we don't have one next year!)

JMUSaxMRD
November 5th, 2006, 03:43 PM
I see JMU winning out, although anything can happen. It doesn't matter that much if we get a seed or not. It'd be nice for a Thanksgiving home game (Especially for the Marching Royal Dukes (band)) and for attendence, however I don't think it really matters if we get a seed or not as long as the band travels to away games. Granted we want a seed, but we can still easily have a chance at getting to Chattanooga without one.

BDKJMU
November 5th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Lets look at JMU & UMass's OOC schedule:

Weakest OOC opponent:
JMU pounded 1-8 VMI 45-7 and UMAss pounded 5-5 Stony Brook 48-7. VMI plays in the weak Big South, and Stony Brook in the weak partial schlorship NEC, so slight advantage UMass.

Middle OOC opponent:
JMU beat 8-1 Div II powerhouse Bloomsburg 14-3, ranked for for at least the last several weeks 6th in Div II (the teams in front of them keep winning). Bloomsburg's only loss was to JMU. UMass beat Colgate 28-7.
Beating Bloomsburg by 11 is equal IMHO to beating Colgate by 21. Colgate is from a weak non schlorship IAA conference, is 3-6, and no doubt in mind mind Bloomsburg would beat them. A prime example of why on the surface, "this team beat a IAA, and this team beat a DII doesn't mean Jack Diddly squat". So even here.

Best OOC opponent:
JMU lost to #1 ASU 21-10. JMU True that ASU was up 21-3 at the half, and much of JMU's yards and their TD came in the 4th in garbage time when the game was basically over. Through the 1st 3 quarters the yardage totals were pretty even. The biggest difference was 2 costly JMU turnovers, one at their own 38 that led to an ASU TD. UMAss I heard outplayed Navy in a 21-20 loss. Navy by virtue of a weak schedule has a pretty good record and will be going to one of the toilet bowls. But does anyone doubt that ASU would/could beat Navy? A prime example of why on the surface, "this team lost to a IA, and this team lost to a IAA doesn't mean Jack Diddly squat. You have to look beyond the IA,IAA,DII designations and look at the record/strength of the teams. A IAA beats a Sun Belt team, that is no better than beating another schlorship IAA with an equivalent record. Another example of this would be if Richmond was still in the playoff race. They beat Duke 13-0, but Duke SUCKS SO BAD as a IA (0-9 likely to finish 0-12) than beating them UR shouldn't be given any more credit than beating a decent .500 schlorship IAA, because if Duke was in the A-10 or the Gateway they probably would finish at best .500. Judging JMU's and UMass OOC schedules, only because UMass outplayed Navy would I give them a slight edge here.

So I would give UMass a slight OOC edge. I didn't try to analyze their A-10 schedules due to the topsy turvey A-10, esp with the upsets this weekend. *IF their A10 schedules are considered roughly equal and if UMass and JMU win their last 2, UMass should get the autobid and definitely IMHO the #2 seed over Montana, but JMU should definitely get the 4th seed.

As far as if Youngstown and JMU win out YSU getting the seed, no way should that happen.

OOC best opponent:
YSU played Penn State, a middle of the pack Big 10 team ((6-4, (4-3)), and got their as* kicked 37-3. That shouldn't be looked upon as any better than JMU losing to ASU by 11. So even here

Other 2:
YSU beat a 6-3 DivII Slippery Rock by 30. They're not as good as Bloomsburg (different divison of same conference, not playing each other this yr), so not any better than JMU beating Bloomsburg by 11. So even here

Beating a 4-5 UC Davis team by 14 is definitely better than our blowout 45-7 win over 1-8 VMI. Advantage YSU.

So give YSU the OOC nod. If Gateway and A-10 are roughly considered equal, YSU has an 8 point conference loss to 6-3 UNI, and JMU is undefeated in the conference. That is enough to overcome YSUs slight OOC edge.

If any of the current top 4 lose in the next 2 weeks, if YSU beats WKU, they should definitley be the 4th seed.

BTW, YSU got screwed last year after going 8-3 and getting left out of the playoffs, with a 8-3 Patriot team Lafayette I believe it was getting an at large with as I recall only 1 win over a schlorship team, playoff UR. But just because YSU got screwed last year doesn't mean they should get a seed over JMU as a makeup.

BDKJMU
November 5th, 2006, 05:13 PM
All this seed no seed thing is getting rather old rather quickly. Let's just win out, all we can do at this point. And assume our AD will never schedule a DII again. (we don't have one next year!)

As per my previous post, there is nothing wrong with scheduling a powerhouse DII such as Bloomsburg, who again, would beat most non schlorship IAAs, and alot of schlorship IAAs. They're alot better than VMI. Where we get hurt is in scheduling a weak DII, such as Lock Haven, as we had played them 4-5 times in the past, and they've always sucked.

Same as scheduling a powerhouse IAA OOC like ASU. Thats no different than scheduling a mid to bottom of the pack IA.

Saint3333
November 5th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Montana and UMass's resumes are pretty even. Montana gets the #2 seed if they win out due to one number.

They average 23K+ in attendance.

blukeys
November 5th, 2006, 07:57 PM
The NCAA Committee will not seed both Umass and JMU in the top 4 regardless of their resumes. Only one A-10 team will get a top 4 seed and that will be the team that wins the AQ. The other team will likely get a first round home game. I am not an expert on A-10 AQ tie breakers but both of these teams could finish undefeated in the A-10.

You have to win 4 games beginning Thanksgiving weekend wherever you play.

Saint3333
November 5th, 2006, 07:59 PM
If YSU loses in the next two weeks and JMU and UMass win out, the A-10 will have 2 seeded teams.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 5th, 2006, 09:05 PM
So I take it that with 2 losses (including a conference loss to UNI), YSU gets a seed over a 10-1 JMU??? xidiotx Sounds like some BCS BS to me.

I know, I know. Bigger stadium = $$$ and hopefully our admin is really working on that. Also, geography plays a role, right? If I-AA and the NCAA really wants to show they support the truest playoff format then JMU should get a seed with 9 Div I wins and YSU with 8 (Both played a Div 2 school).

And what about when Furman and GSU both got seeds? Geography should not be a deciding seeding factor.

I really hope they don't let a team that goes undefeated in their conference, arguably the toughest conference in I-AA, and only has a loss to the best team in the nation to go into the playoffs without a seed.

We have averaged over capacity of our stadium for the year. And I really believe that should they both win out, JMU and UMass both deserve seeds.

After what the committee did to us in 2004 sending us on the road throughout the playoffs, 10-1 JMU more than deserves a seed. Having said this, we still must win out on the road, and YSU still has a tough WKU team to face.

BDKJMU
November 5th, 2006, 09:06 PM
The NCAA Committee will not seed both Umass and JMU in the top 4 regardless of their resumes. Only one A-10 team will get a top 4 seed and that will be the team that wins the AQ. The other team will likely get a first round home game. I am not an expert on A-10 AQ tie breakers but both of these teams could finish undefeated in the A-10.

Disagree- the selection committee has already set a precedence once or twice by seeding 2 SO Con teams. Not unless there's a new rule/bylaw that it can no longer be done.

Longhorn
November 5th, 2006, 11:21 PM

Sour grapes? :eyebrow: JMU wins out and ends the season at #4 in the polls (no upsets above them MT. ST. over MT or Maine over Umass) JMU gets seeded 4th.

erb4321
November 5th, 2006, 11:24 PM
If JMU continues to play the way they are, it would be possible that even if UMASS gets the auto-bid, JMU will be seeded higher. Agreed? As a member of the band, I'd really like as many home playoff games as possible, so the entire band will be there. I'm trying my hardest to talk everyone into going with a volunteer pep band if they send one away, though :-).

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 5th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Can I get an amen for brothers Longhorn JMU2K and BDK?

blur2005
November 5th, 2006, 11:31 PM
If UMass and JMU both win out, they will both get seeds. There's really no question in my mind about it.

AndrewFU21
November 5th, 2006, 11:34 PM
If the top four win out, it will probably be:

1. ASU
2. Montana
3. UMass
4. JMU

I could see them switching up 2 and 3, but no way will YSU jump ahead of the one-loss teams.

Longhorn
November 5th, 2006, 11:36 PM
If JMU continues to play the way they are, it would be possible that even if UMASS gets the auto-bid, JMU will be seeded higher. Agreed? As a member of the band, I'd really like as many home playoff games as possible, so the entire band will be there. I'm trying my hardest to talk everyone into going with a volunteer pep band if they send one away, though :-).

If Umass and JMU win out, UMass recieves the autobid and the higher seed...there'll be no question about that. An upset of UMass by Maine is the only way JMU jumps over Umass.

Perhaps one of the UMass fans can give us an update on the condition of their field...last year when the two teams played it was a mess. If JMU and UMass meet at some point in the playoffs hopefully it'll be in Nooga, :smiley_wi , but if we play before then odds are JMU will be traveling to UMass, and I'd sure hope the gameday and field conditions would be better than last year.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 5th, 2006, 11:44 PM
!Threadjack warning!

All this discussion has me questioning, who do i root for this weekend?

WKU? Nahhh... Too fun to watch them lose as they move on to "greener" pastures xidiotx in the SunBelt (OK, they're in the Sunbelt everywhere else, but STILL...)

YSU? Nahhh... let's put a lid on this seeding debate right now. Besides, it's more fun to watch what's left of the Gateway battle it out for something meaningful the last week of the season.

Coin flip... heads, WKU - tails, YSU

And the winner is
TAILS!!!!! (Damn!) :smiley_wi

umassfan
November 5th, 2006, 11:45 PM
If Umass and JMU win out, UMass recieves the autobid and the higher seed...there'll be no question about that. An upset of UMass by Maine is the only way JMU jumps over Umass.

Perhaps one of the UMass fans can give us an update on the condition of their field...last year when the two teams played it was a mess. If JMU and UMass meet at some point in the playoffs hopefully it'll be in Nooga, :smiley_wi , but if we play before then odds are JMU will be traveling to UMass, and I'd sure hope the gameday and field conditions would be better than last year.
We added field turf in the offseason

Longhorn
November 6th, 2006, 12:01 AM
We added field turf in the offseason

Great...I wasn't sure how the stuff would look or play...but ours (installed new for this season too) has been super.

PIRATETIZED1
November 6th, 2006, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by AndrewFU21
If the top four win out, it will probably be:

1. ASU
2. Montana
3. UMass
4. JMU

I could see them switching up 2 and 3, but no way will YSU jump ahead of the one-loss teams.

I tend to agree with the above!

PIRATETIZED :cool:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
HAMPTON UNIVERSITY - “…Of Service To God and Our Nation…”

MEAC Football Champions 1997, 1998, 2001, 2004, 2005, Might As Well Add 2006!

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 6th, 2006, 12:55 AM
I tend to agree with the above!

It'd be nice to get the seed and see Hampton make the trip west!!

PIRATETIZED1
November 6th, 2006, 01:19 AM
It's not that far away!!!