PDA

View Full Version : Youngstown State's Marcus Mason: Legit Shot at Payton?

FlyYtown
November 5th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Youngstown State RB Marcus Mason:
NCAA STATS (http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2006&org=817&player=23)

+#1 in I-AA in rushing: 166.2 yards per game.

+Has TWO 200+ Yard Rushing Performances.
+266 rushing vs. WIU- 3 Touchdown's.
+249 rushing vs. SIU- 2 Touchdown's.

+19 Touchdowns, 3rd in I-AA in Scoring

1496 Yards on the season.
----------------------------
Only ONE team has come close to stopping him; that was UC-Davis; when he rushed for 99 yards.

Gateway Opponents Fans here on AGS; every week I hear the same comments about how good this kid actually is; what do you all think?

Marcus Mason Highlight Reel: Prior to SIU Game
http://ysusports.com/video/mason-preview.jpg (http://ysusports.com/video/mason.wmv)

Reed Rothchild
November 5th, 2006, 11:13 AM
He is the real deal. He is more than worthy of being considered for the Payton.

GoGuins
November 5th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Cool video, where did you get it?

FlyYtown
November 5th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Cool video, where did you get it?
Found it on YSUSports.com

If I had any video knowledge, I would try to make one... But I said IF... LOL I have NONE.

goguins444
November 5th, 2006, 11:50 AM
sweet video

ISUMatt
November 5th, 2006, 11:56 AM
was supposed to go to Illinois but had trouble with the law right...is that the guy?? He more than worthy to play for Illinois, he is Payton worthy IMO!!!

Chi Panther
November 5th, 2006, 12:39 PM
What a stud!!!! I never realized he has soo many long runs......

smallcollegefbfan
November 5th, 2006, 12:55 PM
I think he has a shot to finish top 5. Santos, Ball, and Dawson seem to be media favorites but I do think that Mason deserves to be talked about with those names.

Sam Adams
November 5th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Mason, Baylark, Ball deserve to be among the top 5.

UMass922
November 5th, 2006, 01:08 PM
He's definitely Payton-worthy. As of now, he'd get my vote.

grizband
November 5th, 2006, 02:03 PM
The last game he put up would give him my vote at this point. Still a couple more games, though, and anything can still happen, but he is definately Payton worthy.

FlyYtown
November 5th, 2006, 04:58 PM
The last game he put up would give him my vote at this point. Still a couple more games, though, and anything can still happen, but he is definately Payton worthy.

Actually just one more for YSU... We go to the future I-A School in Bowling Green.. I think he can put 200 up on them; and if so; simply a WOW.

Santos and Ball have underperformed this year....

My Top 2
1-Mason
2-Baylark

Again-UNH is not playing up to par this year; and let the media love Santos and David Ball; but I see this vote going to one of these 2 guys who play on some great teams. One is an offensive machine, the other a defensive machine... Maybe a trip to the nooga???

UMass922
November 5th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Actually just one more for YSU... We go to the future I-A School in Bowling Green.. I think he can put 200 up on them; and if so; simply a WOW.

My Top 2
1-Mason
2-Baylark

Again-UNH is not playing up to par this year; and let the media love Santos and David Ball; but I see this vote going to one of these 2 guys who play on some great teams. One is an offensive machine, the other a defensive machine... Maybe a trip to the nooga???

No, Santos and Ball have been great. UNH just doesn't have a very good defense nor a very consistent running game. But Santos has been heroic even in a couple of the losses.

If I were voting for the Payton right now, I'd go:

1. Mason
2. Santos

FlyYtown
November 5th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Everyone: Check my signature I made out.... I call on all ysu fans to put this in their signature!

[I MG]http://www.eguins.frihost.net/cms/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10002/thumb_mason%7E0.jpg[/IMG][/code]
move the I and M together...

Mr. C
November 5th, 2006, 07:11 PM

My Top 2
1-Mason
2-Baylark

This post is just absolutely goofy. How has Santos in particular under-performed? He has CLEARLY been the top QB in I-AA. No one else is even close. UNH's problems have nothing to do with Santos, but everything to do with a defense that has long been suspect and a running game that has not done as well in recent weeks. Ball is the focus of attention on defense every week and still performs well. Just because he doesn't have the eye-popping number he did last year doesn't mean he is having a sub-par year. I still think Ball is the most dangerous offensive player in I-AA and I guarantee you that many coaches feel the same way.

Mason and Baylark are great players and have had great years as their teams have done well. But the Payton Award is not a TEAM award. In Mason's case, I don't even think he would be my first choice as the best running back in his league (I'd take Arkee Whitlock). As for Baylark, he is a good, solid runner, but hasn't been the game-breaking type of back that you think of when considering the Payton. And as good as Baylark and Mason are, their numbers still pale in comparison to Santos.

Just curious, have you watched any New Hampshire games this year?

Maverick
November 5th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Well actually the best QB in I-AA is Josh Johnson of San Diego. Just ask Jim Harbaugh. xlolx xlolx xlolx :smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi

Harbaugh has also told his coaching staff that all they have to do is win and they are in!!!!:nod: :nod: :nod: xlolx xlolx xlolx

So I guess you guys are just talking about the first losers.

Johnson's chance of winning the Payton award is as good as the Toreros chances of being in the playoffs this year.

PS: Another way to look at the best player is to see what his team would have been without him. In that case, Santos is hands down the best. His team has lost not because of him. But with the exception of the one "natural disaster/weather" game he has done his job.

FlyYtown
November 5th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Mason and Baylark are great players and have had great years as their teams have done well. But the Payton Award is not a TEAM award. In Mason's case, I don't even think he would be my first choice as the best running back in his league (I'd take Arkee Whitlock). As for Baylark, he is a good, solid runner, but hasn't been the game-breaking type of back that you think of when considering the Payton. And as good as Baylark and Mason are, their numbers still pale in comparison to Santos.

Just curious, have you watched any New Hampshire games this year?

Actually I have on that CN8... From what I've seen Santos was better last year.... Ball gets his 8-10 catches a game--- still he is not as explosive as the running backs in I-AA.

And btw: Arkee Whitlock and Marcus Mason went head to head yesterday:
Whitlock was great, but Mason outdid him! I still think Whitlock will be a force come the playoffs!

Whitlock: 35 carries for 218 yards.
Mason: 29 carries for 249 yards.

You still sure you will pick Whitlock over Mason????

Mr. C
November 5th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Actually I have on that CN8... From what I've seen Santos was better last year.... Ball gets his 8-10 catches a game--- still he is not as explosive as the running backs in I-AA.

Whitlock was great, but Mason outdid him! I still think Whitlock will be a force come the playoffs!

Whitlock: 218 yards against one of the best defenses in I-AA.
Mason: 249 yards against a rather suspect Southern Illinois defense (not to in any way put Mason's performance down).

You can't really say they were head-to-head unless they were running against the same defenses, in terms of saying one performance was better than the other. Whitlock is the best running back I've seen in I-AA in the past two years and consistently gets yards even when he doesn't have holes. He is also the focal point of an offense that wouldn't be very good without him. Mason, on the other hand, is one great player, surrounded by a bunch of really good offensive players. He has a better QB, one of the best FBs in I-AA leading blocking for him, a good line etc.

Talk to any football expert (coaches, scouts etc.) and they will tell you that Santos has gotten a lot better as a junior than he was as a sophomore. You can also compare his numbers. Ball has more than 50 touchdowns in his career. The ONLY running back that is close to him in that key category is Alonzo Coleman of Hampton and Coleman doesn't play the same caliber of competition week in and week out that Ball does.

Chi Panther
November 5th, 2006, 07:40 PM

Who had more TDs?????

FlyYtown
November 5th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Who had more TDs?????

In the game, Arkee had 3 to Mason's 2.
On the season:
Mason: 19 Touchdown's.
Whitlock: 14 Touchdown's.

FlyYtown
November 5th, 2006, 10:30 PM
One more reason to throw out there.

Marcus Mason is the #1 BACK IN ALL DIVISION I Football. He surpassed Garrett Wolfe of Northern Illinois- who is now at 164 yards per game!

Mason is at 166 a game.....
Take that I-A!!! Although I want YSU to get up there!!!!

redbirdtim
November 5th, 2006, 10:31 PM
After seeing both Mason and Whitlock, I'd pick Mason for the Payton. Whitlock is a great RB with a future on Sundays, but I would pick Mason for the award. He's got my vote right now.

FlyYtown
November 6th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Ya... Mason will not make it in the NFL because he is so small. I believe he is just 5 foot 9 or so... He is over 200 pounds, and the main reason he gets so many yards is because he is so tough to get down...

shakdaddy3
November 6th, 2006, 04:58 PM
why isn't luke drone on the payton list? he is the leading passed in the gateway and one of the best in the nation... even without all-everything wide receiver laurent robinson.. some1 tell me why eric sanders is on the list over drone... please

Daved
November 6th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Ya... Mason will not make it in the NFL because he is so small. I believe he is just 5 foot 9 or so... He is over 200 pounds, and the main reason he gets so many yards is because he is so tough to get down...
I don't know how big Barry Sanders or Emmitt Smith are but they never looked real big on tv ,you are probably right about him being too small but I would love for Marcus to prove us both wrong!

Daved
November 6th, 2006, 11:22 PM
I don't know how big Barry Sanders or Emmitt Smith are but they never looked real big on tv ,you are probably right about him being too small but I would love for Marcus to prove us both wrong!
Just looked it up Sanders 5ft 8ins ,Smith 5ft 9ins.

Daved
November 6th, 2006, 11:24 PM
why isn't luke drone on the payton list? he is the leading passed in the gateway and one of the best in the nation... even without all-everything wide receiver laurent robinson.. some1 tell me why eric sanders is on the list over drone... please
Because he is on the best team in !-AA---UNI!!

redbirdtim
November 7th, 2006, 02:12 AM
Don't know what you're smokin' Daved, but I don't think the best team in I-AA right now has a loss to a DII school. The best team right now is App. St.. As for Drone not being on the list, I don't think he's put up the numbers this year. Rembert is the major cog in our offense this year. Drone still has some work to do, but look for him on the list next year. He needs to not have a game like he did against YSU to be on there.

PantherRob82
November 7th, 2006, 02:18 AM
Don't know what you're smokin' Daved, but I don't think the best team in I-AA right now has a loss to a DII school.

DaveD is a YSU fan if that tells you anything. :rolleyes:

Not sure why Drone isn't on the list, but I think everyone knows why Sanders is. :cool:

GoGuins
November 7th, 2006, 07:28 AM
DaveD is a YSU fan if that tells you anything. :rolleyes:

His posts are usually meaningless, so just skip over them

shakdaddy3
November 7th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Don't know what you're smokin' Daved, but I don't think the best team in I-AA right now has a loss to a DII school. The best team right now is App. St.. As for Drone not being on the list, I don't think he's put up the numbers this year. Rembert is the major cog in our offense this year. Drone still has some work to do, but look for him on the list next year. He needs to not have a game like he did against YSU to be on there.
let's see... a comparison between Drone who is not on the last and Sanders who is on the list:

Drone is #12 nationally in passing efficiency and Sanders is #16

Drone is #12 in total passing yards in and Sanders is #41

Done has 14 TD passes with 3 INTs and Sanders has 12 TDs with 4 INTs

Drone has led his team to a better record thus far... Drone has nearly 400 more yards passing than Sanders...

I just don't think he gets the national recognition he should for being one of the top QBs in the nation as well as being arguably the top QB in the Gateway...

so, if his numbers are better, then why isn't he on the list? oh, he still gets to play Indiana State which should be nice for his stats like it was for Sanders when he played them..

ysubigred
November 7th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Whitlock: 218 yards against one of the best defenses in I-AA.
Mason: 249 yards against a rather suspect Southern Illinois defense (not to in any way put Mason's performance down).

You can't really say they were head-to-head unless they were running against the same defenses, in terms of saying one performance was better than the other. Whitlock is the best running back I've seen in I-AA in the past two years and consistently gets yards even when he doesn't have holes. He is also the focal point of an offense that wouldn't be very good without him. Mason, on the other hand, is one great player, surrounded by a bunch of really good offensive players. He has a better QB, one of the best FBs in I-AA leading blocking for him, a good line etc.

Talk to any football expert (coaches, scouts etc.) and they will tell you that Santos has gotten a lot better as a junior than he was as a sophomore. You can also compare his numbers. Ball has more than 50 touchdowns in his career. The ONLY running back that is close to him in that key category is Alonzo Coleman of Hampton and Coleman doesn't play the same caliber of competition week in and week out that Ball does.

Mr. C,

You need to check your facts. SIU is/was #1 in the GFC for run stopping. YSU is at the bottom :bang:

Thank you for the props on the YSU defense :hurray:

BillLuc1982
November 7th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Drone is on ISU, not UNI

shakdaddy3
November 7th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Drone is on ISU, not UNI
and your point is????

Appguy
November 7th, 2006, 09:14 AM
What about Kevin Richardson?

BillLuc1982
November 7th, 2006, 09:20 AM
and your point is????

Someone said he was on UNI, I should have included the other's quote

I-AA Fan
November 7th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Mason moved up to #1 in all Division-I with yesterday's stats release from the NCAA. Mason is averaging 166.22 yards per game. Mason took over the top spot with an impressive 249-yard two-touchdown performance in the No. 7-ranked Penguins' 31-24 victory over 12th-ranked Southern Illinois on Saturday.

Saturday's performance helped Mason overtake Northern Illinois' Garrett Wolfe for the Division I lead and Central Connecticut State's Justise Hairston for the Division I-AA top spot. Wolfe is averaging 164.33 yards per game while Hairston is at 163 per contest according to the NCAA numbers.

PantherRob82
November 7th, 2006, 12:01 PM

exactly :D

PantherRob82
November 7th, 2006, 12:03 PM
let's see... a comparison between Drone who is not on the last and Sanders who is on the list:

Drone is #12 nationally in passing efficiency and Sanders is #16

Drone is #12 in total passing yards in and Sanders is #41

Done has 14 TD passes with 3 INTs and Sanders has 12 TDs with 4 INTs

Drone has led his team to a better record thus far... Drone has nearly 400 more yards passing than Sanders...

I just don't think he gets the national recognition he should for being one of the top QBs in the nation as well as being arguably the top QB in the Gateway...

so, if his numbers are better, then why isn't he on the list? oh, he still gets to play Indiana State which should be nice for his stats like it was for Sanders when he played them..

Is it possible to make a case for Drone without saying Sanders shouldn't be on the list? I think Drone looks great. Haven't seen him play, but by his stats he seems like he is a great canidate. I think you just like to start pissing matches about Sanders. :cool:

shakdaddy3
November 7th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Is it possible to make a case for Drone without saying Sanders shouldn't be on the list? I think Drone looks great. Haven't seen him play, but by his stats he seems like he is a great canidate. I think you just like to start pissing matches about Sanders. :cool:
im not saying that sanders shouldn't be on the list... i was doing it more so to compare the two to state my question of why is drone not on it... sanders is a good comparison cuz he's in the conference so we have more similar opponents as opposed to comparing to santos or some1 else...

sanders belongs on the list IMO... but so does Drone

PantherRob82
November 7th, 2006, 12:10 PM
im not saying that sanders shouldn't be on the list... i was doing it more so to compare the two to state my question of why is drone not on it... sanders is a good comparison cuz he's in the conference so we have more similar opponents as opposed to comparing to santos or some1 else...

sanders belongs on the list IMO... but so does Drone

I can agree with that. :thumbsup:

PantherRob82
November 7th, 2006, 12:10 PM
and to be honest...I think Sanders has been a little down this year...he was much more accurate last year...

GoGuins
November 7th, 2006, 12:19 PM
YSU fans-what is YSU's single season rush record? I know Tamron Smith has it with Adrian Brown a close second. It's somewhere around 1650 yds which included playoff games

ysubigred
November 7th, 2006, 02:32 PM
YSU fans-what is YSU's single season rush record? I know Tamron Smith has it with Adrian Brown a close second. It's somewhere around 1650 yds which included playoff games

YSU single season record holder: Shawn Patton 1994 1626 in a 16 game NC year.

Record average per game PJ Mays 131.5

Mason so far 1496-166.2 in 9 games :hurray:

FlyYtown
November 7th, 2006, 02:32 PM

Not sure, all I do know is Tom Zetts, when he is all said and done: Will be THE TOP QB at YSU; at least throwing touchdown's! He is at 30; the record is 40 I believe set by Jeff Ryan.

GoGuins
November 7th, 2006, 03:13 PM
YSU single season record holder: Shawn Patton 1994 1626 in a 16 game NC year.

Record average per game PJ Mays 131.5

Mason so far 1496-166.2 in 9 games :hurray:

I always thought it was Smith, I forget about Patton because he only played a couple years plus he got into trouble

If YSU is lucky enough to make it to the NC, MAson may have close to 2000 yds

GoGuins
November 7th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Not sure, all I do know is Tom Zetts, when he is all said and done: Will be THE TOP QB at YSU; at least throwing touchdown's! He is at 30; the record is 40 I believe set by Jeff Ryan.

Even better than the Polish rifle Ron Jaworski?:D

ysubigred
November 7th, 2006, 05:03 PM
I always thought it was Smith, I forget about Patton because he only played a couple years plus he got into trouble

If YSU is lucky enough to make it to the NC, MAson may have close to 2000 yds

The GFC record is held by WIU's Aaron Stecker 1927 yds + or - a few. So "IF" Mason has a good game this week and a few in the playoff's he'll be the all time single season record holder in the GFC also.

I'm not going to count my Guins before they are hatched :) Must do well at WKU first.

:beerchug:

Daved
November 7th, 2006, 07:00 PM
They are always meaningless to someone that lacks intelligence-Rob caught that I was just being sarcASStic about UNI but they are indeed one of the best in !-AA.However people of your intellect are better off skipping over my posts and seeking the wisdom of someone like Crap'n Cat so please do.

FlyYtown
November 8th, 2006, 05:45 AM
Here is a FABULOUS Flash file HIGHLIGHTING Marcus Mason! (http://www.ysusports.com/football/mason/mason.swf)