PDA

View Full Version : Furman add Virginia Tech in 2008

FU97
June 23rd, 2005, 11:34 AM
Furman Football Adds Virginia Tech To 2008 Schedule
Paladins To Face Hokies For First Time Since 1947

June 23, 2005

GREENVILLE, S.C. -- Furman director of athletics Gary Clark announced today that the school has added Virginia Tech to its 2008 football schedule.

Furman will play Virginia Tech on Sept. 6, 2008, in Blacksburg in the first meeting between the two schools in football since a 20-6 Hokies win in Blacksburg in 1947. Virginia Tech owns a 4-0 series lead against the Paladins.

"We're pleased to add an opponent of the caliber of Virginia Tech to our future schedule," said Clark in making the announcement on Thursday. "It has been our longstanding desire to schedule a I-A opponent every season."

The addition of Virginia Tech to Furman's 2008 gridiron slate comes on the heels of last week's announcement that Furman would play a home-and-home series with Delaware beginning on Sept. 20, 2008, in Greenville and on Sept. 19, 2009, in Newark.

The Paladins also recently reached an agreement to play Colgate in Hamilton, N.Y., on Sept. 13, 2008, before entertaining the Raiders in Greenville on Sept. 11, 2010.

Current OOC schedule for 2008 has VT, Clemson, Delaware, and Colgate. I would guess they are looking at moving the Clemson game. If not, that's one tough OOC scheule.

OL FU
June 23rd, 2005, 11:39 AM
I know we supposedly had a real good 2005 recruiting class, but two games on the same day may be a lot to ask.

And I hope we move Clemson out of 2008, I think two I-A's is a little much especially with Gate away and the Hens, anywhere (nod to all you Hen Fans).

Glad it is only 2005.

FU97
June 23rd, 2005, 11:43 AM
I know we supposedly had a real good 2005 recruiting class, but two games on the same day may be a lot to ask.

And I hope we move Clemson out of 2008, I think two I-A's is a little much especially with Gate away and the Hens, anywhere (nod to all you Hen Fans).

Glad it is only 2005.

I looked back and the Delaware game is actually on Sept 20. I updated the article accordingly.

GannonFan
June 23rd, 2005, 12:56 PM
On the bright side for Furman, 2008 is a 12 game year because of the calendar and with the playoff considerations being now 7 wins rather than more than 3 losses, this isn't so bad for Furman. They could keep both Clemson and VaTech on the schedule (odds are two losses but two separate paydays so somebody will be happy), split with UD and Colgate (hey, could always sweep or be swept so assume a split) and still go 9-3 or 8-4 and still make the playoffs. Heck, at 7-5 they could be considered as well, but that's a long shot.

youwouldno
June 23rd, 2005, 01:38 PM
I don't understand the 12-game thing. I thought I-AA was sticking to 11??

Cocky
June 23rd, 2005, 01:49 PM
Furman's AD is raising the bar on scheduling. He has done a great job of getting teams at the top of other playoff conferences. I hope we see the trend continue to other campuses.

GannonFan
June 23rd, 2005, 02:06 PM
I don't understand the 12-game thing. I thought I-AA was sticking to 11??

It was my understanding that IAA will continue to follow the policy that's been in place, namely that is most years you play 11 games. But in years where Labor Day falls earlier and you have an extra week between Labor Day and the end of the year, you are allowed to, if you choose, play 12 games. That's different than the IA model where you will be allowed to play 12 every year. 2003 was an example of the last year when you were allowed to play 12 and many IAA teams did just that.

youwouldno
June 23rd, 2005, 02:18 PM
Ah. Well still I imagine the Clemson game will be moved, too many away games if nothing else (but obviously that would also be a ridiculous schedule).

Even so, Furman is putting together some very nice OOC schedules, both with good I-AA and I-A teams. Also getting it done pretty early in the game it seems.

OL FU
June 23rd, 2005, 02:52 PM
Furman's AD is raising the bar on scheduling. He has done a great job of getting teams at the top of other playoff conferences. I hope we see the trend continue to other campuses.

Any idea who called who on the JSU/FU game? I assumed it was JSU that placed the call. I have always thought it is a good strategy to go after ASAP a team that beat you the year before.

FU97
June 23rd, 2005, 02:58 PM
Any idea who called who on the JSU/FU game? I assumed it was JSU that placed the call. I have always thought it is a good strategy to go after ASAP a team that beat you the year before.

Quite possibly could have been discussed at the actual game itself. Relatively close schools that both made the playoffs. With Furman seeming to like the Birmingham market (first Samford, now JSU) for recruiting, the JSU series seems to be a natural progression for Furman. We've got some great talent from the Birmingham market the last 2-3 years.

Cocky
June 23rd, 2005, 03:27 PM

I was told it was in the works before the game. It's a pretty good match-up and the trip isn''t too bad. I came up to the playoff game and it took less than 4 hours. I hope Furman has a good crowd (Thursday will hurt) and maybe we will play a little better. Should be fun to see where we stand in the national arena. We can't use traveling as an excuse, either.

OL FU
June 23rd, 2005, 03:38 PM
I was told it was in the works before the game. It's a pretty good match-up and the trip isn''t too bad. I came up to the playoff game and it took less than 4 hours. I hope Furman has a good crowd (Thursday will hurt) and maybe we will play a little better. Should be fun to see where we stand in the national arena. We can't use traveling as an excuse, either.

FU Typcially brings a good crowd especially considering the size school it is, but you are correct. Thursday will diminish that greatly and even more so if it is on TV.

BusinessEagle
June 23rd, 2005, 04:03 PM
Would Furman like to trade AD's with Georgia Southern for awhile?

;)

catamount man
June 23rd, 2005, 07:02 PM
Good job Paladins. Represent the SoCon well! GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

FU97
June 24th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Would Furman like to trade AD's with Georgia Southern for awhile?

;)

No.