PDA

View Full Version : Somebody at the New Yorker really hates Columbia

Go Green
September 30th, 2014, 11:42 AM
So this week's New Yorker magazine does a story on the NFL's recent image problems with crime. Ok, fine.

But guess whose uniforms they elected to use for the cover artwork?

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/09/29

What did Columbia ever do to the New Yorker to warrant this?

xconfusedx

Ivytalk
September 30th, 2014, 12:58 PM
Looks like the back of a cab through a rain-spattered window to me, GG.

But in answer to your question: Columbia plays criminally bad football! QED.xrotatehx

penguinpower
September 30th, 2014, 01:01 PM
The liberal arts major probably received a rejection letter because he was too stupid to get in and now he is avenging his rejection?

DFW HOYA
September 30th, 2014, 01:07 PM
The average New Yorker reader wouldn't associate that with Columbia. And that's not Baker Field in the background.

carney2
September 30th, 2014, 01:26 PM
Even Columbia hates Columbia football, so what's the problem?

melloware13
September 30th, 2014, 01:40 PM
The average New Yorker reader wouldn't associate that with Columbia. And that's not Baker Field in the background.

Maybe Michigan scheduled them to try to get a win, but the Ann Arbor cops had to arrest any Columbia player who scored.

citdog
September 30th, 2014, 02:00 PM
I KNOW they hate The Citadel. The color is similar.......

superman7515
September 30th, 2014, 02:19 PM
Detroit Lions helmet from the front?

Lehigh Football Nation
September 30th, 2014, 02:28 PM
So all football players are criminals?

Go Green
September 30th, 2014, 02:40 PM

Looks like light blue and white, rather than light blue and silver to me.

It's either Columbia, UNC, or Citadel.

Bogus Megapardus
September 30th, 2014, 02:59 PM

The Detroit Lions originally patterned their uniforms after Columbia (and they took Columbia's name as well). Anyone surprised that The New Yorker didn't use Fordham or Wagner on the cover? Are the expecting less blow-back from the Powder Blue?

NB: I am a "Columbia Dad" and even my student-daughter has no interest in Columbia football.

Pard4Life
September 30th, 2014, 03:18 PM
The Detroit Lions originally patterned their uniforms after Columbia (and they took Columbia's name as well). Anyone surprised that The New Yorker didn't use Fordham or Wagner on the cover? Are the expecting less blow-back from the Powder Blue?

NB: I am a "Columbia Dad" and even my student-daughter has no interest in Columbia football.

Bogie, check your Lafayette sports forum PMs.

Bogus Megapardus
September 30th, 2014, 03:23 PM

http://i61.tinypic.com/s44dxi.jpg

The illustrator is Barry Blitt, a long time staple of The New Yorker. Blitt attended The Ontario College of Art and Design which, alas, does not have a football team. Since he's a canuck, I think a hockey concept would have been more appropriate, now that I look at it. All hockey players are known criminals, aren't they?

The image will make a handy avatar for future reference, though . . . .

Pard4Life
September 30th, 2014, 03:27 PM
There was a NY Times feature on the cover artist and the covers yesterday. I really doubt Columbia football was on his mind, or that he is even aware of it.

Franks Tanks
September 30th, 2014, 03:30 PM
Does anyone at The New Yorker know that Wagner exists? More importantly would they admit to it if they did? Also they would never use the likeness of a school made up of Irish-Catholic heathens. The mythical Sarah Lawrence College football team would be appropiate.

Ivytalk
September 30th, 2014, 04:00 PM
May be coincidental, but Corey Ford -- the early 20th-century humorist who came up with the name "Eustace Tilley" for The New Yorker's top-hatted mascot, was a Columbia grad!

Go Green
September 30th, 2014, 04:09 PM

⠀The illustrator is Bill Blitt, a long time staple of The New Yorker. Blitt attended The Ontario College of Art and Design which, alas, does not have a football team. Since he's a canuck, I think a hockey concept would have been more appropriate, now that I look at it. All hockey players are known criminals, aren't they?

Maybe he had this in mind:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/columbia-university-football-player-arrested-harassing-fellow-student-haranguing-racial-slurs-article-1.1339125

Bogus Megapardus
September 30th, 2014, 04:11 PM
Bogie, check your Lafayette sports forum PMs.

Thanks, P4L.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 30th, 2014, 04:13 PM
It is all because that one alum blew the Knute Rockne signing.

caribbeanhen
September 30th, 2014, 04:21 PM
where dreams become reality19756

Bogus Megapardus
September 30th, 2014, 04:41 PM
where dreams become reality19756

As as Columbia football apologist, I maintain that there's no better venue anywhere above 181st Street and south of the Spuyten Duyvil to see an FCS football game.

http://i62.tinypic.com/11akfh5.jpg

Lehigh Football Nation
September 30th, 2014, 04:51 PM
There's even free beer there.

bulldog10jw
September 30th, 2014, 05:01 PM
As as Columbia football apologist, I maintain that there's no better venue anywhere above 181st Street and south of the Spuyten Duyvil to see an FCS football game.

I miss old Baker Field with the rotted out bleachers and roped off areas where no one could sit.

I once saw a kid running up the steps break though one of those planks, and this was in one of the supposedly good sections, up to his knee.

You just don't see that kind of entertainment at a Columbia game any more.

Pard4Life
September 30th, 2014, 05:04 PM
I wonder what that real-estate is worth... I bet the school knows, and is salivating...

Bogus Megapardus
September 30th, 2014, 05:06 PM
You just don't see that kind of entertainment at a Columbia game any more.

So true. But with proper attention to the athletic budget, and selection of just the right kind of coaching, it could make a return.

ElCid
September 30th, 2014, 05:07 PM
As some have already stated, who would know that it is Columbia anyway. In any event, I am not sure that many who work at the New Yorker even know that football is still played, and they hope they just got it close. And it is the New Yorker, does anyone that matters even read it? And even if it some mistake it for Columbia, remember the old adage, all publicity is good publicity. Especially in today's society, since most of our ADD citizens will not remember if it was positive or negative by tomorrow morning.

bulldog10jw
September 30th, 2014, 05:22 PM
So true. But with proper attention to the athletic budget, and selection of just the right kind of coaching, it could make a return.

I think everyone who is a fan of Ivy League football would love to see Columbia become competitive. I just don't know if it is possible unless they become like Penn and admit football players who couldn't spell cat if you spotted them the c and the a.

Bogus Megapardus
September 30th, 2014, 05:24 PM
The artist's own reflection on his cover art:

I grew up drawing a lot of hockey pictures—football, not so much. The only thing I knew about the Canadian Football League was that, of its nine teams, two were called either the Roughriders or the Rough Riders. My current awareness of the N.F.L. has little to do with the actual games being played on the field, alas.

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/cover-story-barry-blitts-illegal-procedure

Bogus Megapardus
September 30th, 2014, 05:37 PM
I think everyone who is a fan of Ivy League football would love to see Columbia become competitive. I just don't know if it is possible unless they become like Penn and admit football players who couldn't spell cat if you spotted them the c and the a.

Since my previous post was meant to convey the converse (i.e., seeking a return of pure situation comedy to Baker), it's clear either that I'm out of practice or that my tongue-cheek implantation value lacked sufficient depth. You see, the pronoun "it" in my sentence is supposed to refer to to . . . . oh, never mind. xrolleyesx

heath
September 30th, 2014, 05:48 PM
Well,since the cops are chasing a white player,its got to be Columbia or the artist caved to media PC. Do not think a black player being chased by a white cop would have made the cover at New Yorker, but much more realistic. Columbia has a nice stadium,give free beer,although it's Bud Lite, .......wait that's it, the artist was a Stella fan.xdrunkyx

bulldog10jw
September 30th, 2014, 05:51 PM
Since my previous post was meant to convey the converse (i.e., seeking a return of pure situation comedy to Baker), it's clear either that I'm out of practice or that my tongue-cheek implantation value lacked sufficient depth. You see, the pronoun "it" in my sentence is supposed to refer to to . . . . oh, never mind. xrolleyesx

xoopsx

NOW, I get it. It went right over my head. I guess I shouldn't have made that Penn comment. :D

Ivytalk
September 30th, 2014, 06:35 PM
xoopsx

NOW, I get it. It went right over my head. I guess I shouldn't have made that Penn comment. :D

Of course you should have! Those coal miners can't spell cat, but they can pronounce "anthracite."

caribbeanhen
September 30th, 2014, 06:49 PM

thank you for rotating that pic.... I was in NYC this summer, visited the Cloisters (most culture I've ever experienced) after we left I knew that Columbia played at the very north end of Manhatten so I "got lost" and accidently navigated my way up there, always wanted to see the Big Blue C on the Rocks.....wife was asking what the heck are we doing here???. I would post that blue C pic as well, but I'm in it and look a bit gorged

Bogus Megapardus
September 30th, 2014, 07:01 PM
NOW, I get it. It went right over my head. I guess I shouldn't have made that Penn comment.

I recall the glory days of old, when I could craft deliberately ambiguous object modifiers with a certain competence.

Bogus Megapardus
September 30th, 2014, 07:14 PM
thank you for rotating that pic.... I was in NYC this summer, visited the Cloisters (most culture I've ever experienced) after we left I knew that Columbia played at the very north end of Manhatten so I "got lost" and accidently navigated my way up there, always wanted to see the Big Blue C on the Rocks.....wife was asking what the heck are we doing here???. I would post that blue C pic as well, but I'm in it and look a bit gorged

Thanx . . . I like to think I rotate with the best of them. xrotatehx

It's great that you got to see the Baker complex. Given its location, it really is quite a nice set of facilities. The view from the home stands (especially near the top) is unlike any I've ever seen.

http://i57.tinypic.com/ojebnr.jpg

Bogus Megapardus
September 30th, 2014, 07:53 PM
They can pronounce "anthracite."

I doubt it; that would violate current political correctness norms. These days, they're all "bi-tuminous." :p

CHIP72
September 30th, 2014, 08:26 PM
The New Yorker hates that the Houston Oilers no longer exist.

Pard4Life
September 30th, 2014, 08:56 PM

You are being too generous towards the Penn players... being able to finish the alphabet would be a major accomplishment.

Pard4Life
September 30th, 2014, 09:03 PM
That can't be Columbia because the artist has fans in the stands... not even at road venues.

The cover would be more suited towards Lafayette, given how our team is filled with nefarious rule breakers. Having empty red solo cups in your dorm room and not saying hello to a professor are such infractions that are imperiling the image of football on campus nationwide. I'm glad we have such stringent guidelines.

Bogus Megapardus
September 30th, 2014, 09:03 PM
Today's edition of The Columbia Spectator includes a 3,506-character piece entitled, "Professors Discuss Studying Sex and Gender Differences at Barnard Panel." It includes no discussion of the bellwether controversy that is the subject of this AGS thread, however.

http://columbiaspectator.com/

We'll keep careful watch for input by the editors of The Columbia Spectator - and AGS readers will be the first to know.

Bogus Megapardus
September 30th, 2014, 09:05 PM
You are being too generous towards the Penn players... being able to finish the alphabet would be a major accomplishment.

Are they allowed to sing it to the "Alphabet Song?" Often that helps.

EDIT: It's best to figment a visual of this . . . in the huddle, if need be. After the plays are called in. By letter designation.

Ivytalk
October 1st, 2014, 09:53 AM
Today's edition of The Columbia Spectator includes a 3,506-character piece entitled, "Professors Discuss Studying Sex and Gender Differences at Barnard Panel." It includes no discussion of the bellwether controversy that is the subject of this AGS thread, however.

http://columbiaspectator.com/

We'll keep careful watch for input by the editors of The Columbia Spectator - and AGS readers will be the first to know.

Yes, there are differences in sex and gender. Especially at Barnyard (sic). We can all agree with that.