PDA

View Full Version : A-10 Teams playoff chances

bainsey
November 4th, 2006, 11:37 PM
We usually live by the rule that three losses keeps you in I-AA playoff contention, but four losses keeps you out. That being said, here's who's left in the race with two games remaining:

Highly likely: JMU (8-1) and UMass (8-1).
Still in the hunt: Maine (6-3) and UNH (6-3). Will have to be one or the other in the post-season, as these two teams square off in Orono in the season finale.
Doubtful: Towson (6-3). A tough final two games for the Tigers, and if Maine finishes 8-3, the Bears would get the head-to-head nod over the Tigers.
Out: Richmond. The three-game Spider skid makes four losses.

The "meaningful games" that remain, Nov. 11:

*Maine at UMass. THIS is the big one. (Already got my tickets, too.) A Maine win keeps playoff hopes alive -- for both teams -- while a UMass win eliminates the Black Bears and clinches the northern division for the Minutemen.
*UNH at URI. Rhody is riding high after two straight wins, and the once-dominant Wildcats find themselves on the bubble.
*JMU at Villanova. Villanova has also found their confidence with two straight wins. The Dukes better not look past this VU team.
*Towson at Richmond. Towson still has some post-season incentive. That might be enough to tip the scales for the Tigers.

It looks like we have some climacy, folks.

umassfan
November 4th, 2006, 11:41 PM
The A10 might be down to 2 playoff teams when its all said and done. This will open up 1 or 2 spots for less talented teams. I expect UMass to take care of Maine this weekend.

Dukie95
November 4th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Yeah, so we went from discussing the possibility of 5 to now having only 2.

Not looking good for Maine and Towson, who still have UMass and JMU, respectively.

redbirdtim
November 4th, 2006, 11:50 PM
If a team gets into the playoffs, I don't normaly call them "less talented". My thoughts are the Gateway and A-10 will get 5-6 spots combined.

Tod
November 5th, 2006, 12:01 AM
The A10 might be down to 2 playoff teams when its all said and done. This will open up 1 or 2 spots for less talented teams. I expect UMass to take care of Maine this weekend.

Less talented? Got a big A-10 head there, or what?

umassfan
November 5th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Less talented? Got a big A-10 head there, or what?
Im talking about teams like San Deigo or Holy Cross who wouldnt be making it if it werent for the A10 knocking themselfs off.

Tod
November 5th, 2006, 12:07 AM
Im talking about teams like San Deigo or Holy Cross who wouldnt be making it if it werent for the A10 knocking themselfs off.

I know. Just my opinion, but there's something about presentation. Rather than "less talented" you could say that the A-10 teams will not qualify. Just my :twocents:

Plus, you have to admit it's opinion and hasn't been proven on the field. If UNH loses again, who's to say that Hampton wouldn't beat them anyway?

It's all on the field, and the rules are specific and understood.

:) :)

AZGrizFan
November 5th, 2006, 01:51 AM

Unfortunately that same argument holds true for the BSC. We could 2 teams with only 2 conference losses and UM sweeping the division, and STILL only get one team into the playoffs. I'd have a real hard time accepting 4-5 teams from the A-10, but only one from the BSC.

dbackjon
November 5th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Unfortunately that same argument holds true for the BSC. We could 2 teams with only 2 conference losses and UM sweeping the division, and STILL only get one team into the playoffs. I'd have a real hard time accepting 4-5 teams from the A-10, but only one from the BSC.

Especially when the 3rd/4th place team have TWO I-A losses, and the 2/3 teams have beaten I-A teams.

ccd494
November 5th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Especially when the 3rd/4th place team have TWO I-A losses, and the 2/3 teams have beaten I-A teams.

UNH and Richmond have I-A wins also.

Unfortunately, until we get teams playing solely I-AA schedules, we'll have this doubt at the end of every year. Football is the only sport where games against non-division opponents play such a large percent of the schedule. And, in my opinion, it should be outlawed. There are enough I-AAs out there for everyone to play a solely in classification schedule.

blukeys
November 5th, 2006, 08:30 PM

There is no way the 3rd place team in the Big Sky is equivalent to the 3rd place team in the A-10. I have tons of respect for Montana but the Non Montana seeds in the playoffs have done nothing. (Yes I am not impressed with anyone beating SIU)

No one is currently talking about 5 A-10 teams but 3 to 4 is reasonable in the current scenario. Only 2 A-10 teams leaves out UNH and Richmond. These are teams that beat I-A teams in the ACC and Big Ten.

BillLuc1982
November 5th, 2006, 08:38 PM
There is no way the 3rd place team in the Big Sky is equivalent to the 3rd place team in the A-10. I have tons of respect for Montana but the Non Montana seeds in the playoffs have done nothing. (Yes I am not impressed with anyone beating SIU)

No one is currently talking about 5 A-10 teams but 3 to 4 is reasonable in the current scenario. Only 2 A-10 teams leaves out UNH and Richmond. These are teams that beat I-A teams in the ACC and Big Ten.

I'd love to see the non-Montana BSC teams play in the Gateway or A 10. Heck even the SoCon!

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 5th, 2006, 08:58 PM
I'll go ahead and put my foot in my mouth from earlier when I said there would be 4 teams from the A10... Looks like the problem of playing in IMHO the toughest conference out there has gotten to Richmond, and might have gotten to Towson, UNH, and Maine (pending the remaining games).
I'm hoping to see at least three teams make it, but that would be difficult.
Right now the best thing to wish for is that UMass and JMU are placed in different halves of the bracket so they don't have to play eachother unless its a championship game (which would be hellaciously exciting for A10 fans!)