PDA

View Full Version : Chuck South or San Diego - Last Playoff Spot?

TexasTerror
November 4th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Who would you take in the playoffs at this point? I think you have to go with Chuck South based on SOS, especially if they can win their last two games. Coastal Carolina is going to be a big test for Chuck South and those two may be playing for a playoff berth on the line.

SAN DIEGO
Fri, Sep 1 Azusa Pacific W 27-0
Sat, Sep 9 Dixie State W 41-7
Sat, Sep 16 at Yale W 43-17
Sat, Sep 30 at Davidson W 50-21
Sat, Oct 7 Butler W 56-3
Sat, Oct 14 Valparaiso W 68-7
Sat, Oct 21 at Drake W 37-0
Sat, Oct 28 Morehead State W 44-21
Sat, Nov 4 at Jacksonville W 38-21

Remaining games: vs Dayton and possibly @ UC-Davis

CHUCK SOUTH
Sat, Sep 2 at Presbyterian W 21-13
Sat, Sep 9 at Citadel W 38-35
Sat, Sep 16 Wingate W 20-17
Sat, Sep 30 North Greenville W 20-10
Sat, Oct 7 at Savannah State W 38-13
Sat, Oct 14 Edward Waters W 47-0
Sat, Oct 21 Virginia Military W 27-22
Sat, Oct 28 Georgetown W 24-10

Remaining games: @ Liberty, @ Coastal Carolina

ISUMatt
November 4th, 2006, 07:25 PM
NEITHER

ISUMatt
November 4th, 2006, 07:26 PM
a 7-4 A-10 or GFC team deserves it over these 2

IaaScribe
November 4th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Chuck South would deserve it over San Diego in a heartbeat. I agree with NEITHER though as the choice.

Maverick
November 4th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Neither SOS is worthy of at-large selection. In this case better really means less awful.

November 4th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Geez, there's two games left before talking about last playoff spots. Neither of those teams nor their conferences have ever had a playoff spot.

blackfordpu
November 4th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Chuck South because of their remaining games. If both teams win out they will deserve it more.

Still have to agree with neither though.

ISUMatt
November 4th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Dont worry, USD will have 1,000 when their fans hit thgis poll

TexasTerror
November 4th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Geez, there's two games left before talking about last playoff spots. Neither of those teams nor their conferences have ever had a playoff spot.

We got our first AQ in...

I guess we can wait til the end of this week's games to really be talking about playoffs, but we have more teams that can't qualify by getting the seven wins...

Lots of reason to talk playoffs! Isn't that what's so great about the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision? :read:

November 4th, 2006, 07:32 PM
why ask about those teams then as the last spot... there are a bunch of teams alive still? Those are the two darkest horses.

November 4th, 2006, 07:33 PM
most likely have some fluke finishes

ravens
November 4th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Who would you take in the playoffs at this point? I think you have to go with Chuck South based on SOS, especially if they can win their last two games. Coastal Carolina is going to be a big test for Chuck South and those two may be playing for a playoff berth on the line.

I wouldn't put the Liberty game in the W column yet either.
Could possibly lose both games.

TexasTerror
November 4th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Ralph, this is all thinking out the future if these were the last two teams to choose from...

I wouldn't put the Liberty game in the W column yet either.
Could possibly lose both games.

And any loss would eliminate Chuck South...

walliver
November 4th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Neither team "anted up" by scheduling a playoff-calibre slate. Neither team scheduled for play-offs, but both want to jump in now that they are winning games. Gardner Webb went 10-1 in 2002 with a stronger schedule than either of these teams and stayed home and nobody worried about them being left out. I would pick a second MEAC team (SC State) before USD or CSU.

GOTOREROS
November 4th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Neither team "anted up" by scheduling a playoff-calibre slate. Neither team scheduled for play-offs, but both want to jump in now that they are winning games. Gardner Webb went 10-1 in 2002 with a stronger schedule than either of these teams and stayed home and nobody worried about them being left out. I would pick a second MEAC team (SC State) before USD or CSU.

What was Gardner-Webb ranked in 2002? Just curious - perhaps there is so much San Diego talk because they are ranked - especailly due to the GPI ranking. Just a thought, maybe G-W was #10 in the GPI as well...

ravens
November 4th, 2006, 08:22 PM
why ask about those teams then as the last spot... there are a bunch of teams alive still? Those are the two darkest horses.
But doesn't USD Month on AGS make the horse a little lighter?:smiley_wi

November 4th, 2006, 08:32 PM
there is a good reason why the four loss barrier was dropped last year... not saying, just saying.

crunifan
November 4th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Well, if one is to get it, I would rather it be Charleston Southern. They would have at least beaten Coastal Carolina, better than any win San Diego would have.

igo4uni
November 4th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Neither.

blackfordpu
November 4th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Well, if one is to get it, I would rather it be Charleston Southern. They would have at least beaten Coastal Carolina, better than any win San Diego would have.

UC Davis would be a nice win for San Diego.

rokamortis
November 4th, 2006, 08:44 PM
UC Davis would be a nice win for San Diego.

But right now they can't play Davis and be in the playoffs - conflicting dates.

blackfordpu
November 4th, 2006, 08:48 PM
But right now they can't play Davis and be in the playoffs - conflicting dates.

Ahhhhh :rotateh:

Black and Gold Express
November 4th, 2006, 08:58 PM
I'll say CSU, I would like a cupcake for our first round opponent, and no doubt they'd be sent to Boone if they got in. xlolx

CoastalFan2005
November 4th, 2006, 10:22 PM
I voted neither, but if Coastal couldn't get into the playoffs in 2004 at 10-1 blowing out everyone we faced, CSU certainly doesn't deserve to get into the playoffs at 11-0 playing a cupcake schedule and not handily defeating the teams they should defeat. :twocents:

Guard Dawg
November 4th, 2006, 10:33 PM
non scholly teams don't belong

LeopardFan04
November 5th, 2006, 12:17 AM
I chose neither...but if I had to pick I'd take Char. Southern...they're best win (would be Coastal) is better than SD's (Yale, I'm assuming the UC Davis game won't happen or will happen after the selections...), and top to bottom I'd give their schedule a slight edge...

AZGrizFan
November 5th, 2006, 12:51 AM

SAN DIEGO
Fri, Sep 1 Azusa Pacific W 27-0
Sat, Sep 9 Dixie State W 41-7
Sat, Sep 16 at Yale W 43-17
Sat, Sep 30 at Davidson W 50-21
Sat, Oct 7 Butler W 56-3
Sat, Oct 14 Valparaiso W 68-7
Sat, Oct 21 at Drake W 37-0
Sat, Oct 28 Morehead State W 44-21
Sat, Nov 4 at Jacksonville W 38-21

Remaining games: vs Dayton and possibly @ UC-Davis

CHUCK SOUTH
Sat, Sep 2 at Presbyterian W 21-13
Sat, Sep 9 at Citadel W 38-35
Sat, Sep 16 Wingate W 20-17
Sat, Sep 30 North Greenville W 20-10
Sat, Oct 7 at Savannah State W 38-13
Sat, Oct 14 Edward Waters W 47-0
Sat, Oct 21 Virginia Military W 27-22
Sat, Oct 28 Georgetown W 24-10

Jesus.

Note to self:

NEVER AGAIN WILL I BITCH ABOUT HAMPTON'S STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE.

WinthropEagleFan
November 5th, 2006, 08:33 AM
I voted neither, but if Coastal couldn't get into the playoffs in 2004 at 10-1 blowing out everyone we faced, CSU certainly doesn't deserve to get into the playoffs at 11-0 playing a cupcake schedule and not handily defeating the teams they should defeat. :twocents:

Knowing I'm going to get the "you can't talk, your school doesn't even have football" rant going against me, the big difference between this year's CSU squad and the 10-1 Coastal team is that Coastal lost to Newberry that year. Yes, CSU had some close calls against some of their non-D1 opponents, but they didn't lose to any of them. Of course CSU still has to get to 11-0 and I think even then, they need alot of things to go their way to get into the playoffs, but I think they'd have a better case than the '04 Coastal team.

NC Aggie
November 6th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Jesus.

Note to self:

NEVER AGAIN WILL I BITCH ABOUT HAMPTON'S STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE.
If we are just talking schedules, CC's is much stronger (if you can call it that)

Azuza Pacific is NAIA
Dixie State is a former Jr. College in "Big Love" country

I think USD is hoping for a playoff bid as an excuse not to play Davis.

GOTOREROS
November 6th, 2006, 12:11 PM
If we are just talking schedules, CC's is much stronger (if you can call it that)

Azuza Pacific is NAIA
Dixie State is a former Jr. College in "Big Love" country

I think USD is hoping for a playoff bid as an excuse not to play Davis.

If we don't get a playoff bid then we are playing UC Davis on 11/25. If we get a playoff bid then the committee does think we are a good team. Not sure what point you are trying to make? If we are good enough to mkae the playoffs, I'm not sure how you can argue we are afraid to play Davis. If we got in we would probably face the Griz in Montana. No offense but that's a tougher game than Davis....:twocents:

HensRock
November 6th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Who would you take in the playoffs at this point?

Therein lies the key for me. At this point neither one deserves to go. If they both end up undefeated, I would say CSU would have the advantage over USD.

Ol Blue
November 6th, 2006, 12:23 PM

There is a certain amount of time that is needed for a conference to gain the respect of the committees, and of course the teams scheduling to play them. One of the problems with the Big South is that although they play each other you can't neccessarily force anyone else to play you. As more teams are added to the conference then the scheduling will become more soild for all the teams involved, even though, granted, CSU could have done a better job of scheduling more I-AA teams.

If Gardner-Webb went 10-1 in 2002 and was overlooked and CCU went 10-1 and was overlooked then at some point, when this conference has hung around on the radar screens long enough, a 10-1 team from the Big South will make it in.

As far as how a team from the West Coast or Ivy league compares to another team from another conference that hardly ever plays them.....it's all speculation anyway....reputation of the conference gained through a rare matchup has a lot to do with it.....speculation at it's best.

Eventually a team from a more competitive Big South will make it in just by knocking on the door long enough. I would think it would behoove all the teams from the Big South to support their champion to make it to the playoffs.

WMTribe90
November 6th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Neither, assuming there are other 7-4 teams available. For example an 7-4 UNH or 7-4 MSU would both be more deserving than either SD or CSU. If the comittee had to choose between the two then I would say SD.

MarkCCU
November 6th, 2006, 12:31 PM
niether

rokamortis
November 6th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Eventually a team from a more competitive Big South will make it in just by knocking on the door long enough. I would think it would behoove all the teams from the Big South to support their champion to make it to the playoffs.

I support all of the Big South schools - but with 4 sub-DI games CSU hasn't earned the right to go to the playoffs as an at-large team. If/when we get an autobid it will be a moot point and CSU can schedule all of the DII and NAIA schools they wish as long as they win the conference.

Dabnus Brickey
November 6th, 2006, 12:41 PM
As long as we can get it, I could care less. But if I had to choose, it would be San Diego. I think they have cool uniforms and its San Diego month!!!

BigApp
November 6th, 2006, 12:51 PM
What was Gardner-Webb ranked in 2002? Just curious - perhaps there is so much San Diego talk because they are ranked - especailly due to the GPI ranking. Just a thought, maybe G-W was #10 in the GPI as well...

They finished the regular season ranked 10th in the Dwiggins poll...exactly where DWI has you right now. 19th in USA Today/ESPN and 18th in CSN. Very similar ratings to you right now.

redbirdtim
November 6th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Have a play-in game for the last spot on Nov. 24th and winner gets the #1 seed the next day :p

DinoDex200
November 6th, 2006, 01:04 PM
I said "neither". I think CSU is arrving too late to the party, and USD basically plays half I-AA games, half D3 games...they would get waxed by even a semi-competitive team.

I thik the A-10 has a better shot of getting 5 teams in before either of these guys make it. :)