September 27th, 2014, 04:10 PM
Deserves its own thread

BucBisonAtLarge
September 27th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Nice win, Eli- worthy of all the scheduling 'difficulties'

Go Green
September 27th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Congrats to Yale!

Hope Dartmouth can make the Ivy just as proud in a few hours!!

Bogus Megapardus
September 27th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Boola! Very well done and well deserved.

Sader87
September 27th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Great win....congrats!!! 1st Ivy win ovah an FBS team since? Penn ovah Navy in '86?

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 27th, 2014, 04:19 PM
As an Army fan, I always said that the game should never have been scheduled. What a joke.

Gater
September 27th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Boola boola, boola boola
Boola boola, boola boola
When we rough house poor old hahvahd (Army!)
They will holler, "Boola boo"
Oh Yale, Eli Yale! Oh Yale, Eli Yale!
Oh Yale, Eli Yale! Oh Yale, Eli Yale!

centennial
September 27th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Good win..

bulldog10jw
September 27th, 2014, 04:26 PM
As an Army fan, I always said that the game should never have been scheduled. What a joke.

too bad

HailSzczur
September 27th, 2014, 04:28 PM
Well done Yale!

HailSzczur
September 27th, 2014, 04:30 PM
Just got a great segment during halftime of the FSU/NCST game. Looked like a fun one

Go Green
September 27th, 2014, 04:33 PM
1st Ivy win ovah an FBS team since? Penn ovah Navy in '86?

I believe that's correct, with the caveat that Cornell beat Buffalo in 1998 when Buffalo had previously announced its intention to play at the 1-A level in 1999.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 27th, 2014, 04:35 PM
too bad

Yes it is. A FBS team should never play at a FCS school, regardless of historical anniversary or not. Our AD would rather join the Ivy League than invest in FBS football.

aceinthehole
September 27th, 2014, 04:37 PM
Very befitting outcome in a game celebrating a 100-year old Connecticut landmark!

Congrats to all the Yale fans.

bulldog10jw
September 27th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Very befitting outcome in a game celebrating a 100-year old Connecticut landmark!

Congrats to all the Yale fans.

Thanks, Ace

bonarae
September 27th, 2014, 04:43 PM
Great win for the Ivies. Let's just hope there'll be more FBS games in the near future.

aceinthehole
September 27th, 2014, 04:49 PM
Great win for the Ivies. Let's just hope there'll be more FBS games in the near future.

Unlikely. The NCAA denied "bowl counter" waivers for 2 proposed Yale-Army games at West Point. The only reason the NCAA granted the waiver for the game in New Haven was likely because it was a 100-year anniversary.

I wouldn't expect the Ivy League to get any more games vs. FBS teams without getting to "bowl counter" status.

Bogus Megapardus
September 27th, 2014, 04:53 PM
The only reason the NCAA granted the waiver for the game in New Haven likely was because it was a 100-year anniversary.

That was my understanding. But could this afternoon's result change the NCAA's view in the future?

bulldog10jw
September 27th, 2014, 05:22 PM
http://images.scribblelive.com/2014/9/27/30e42604-6d29-4d63-ad8c-b5d2dbf763af_500.jpg

bulldog10jw
September 27th, 2014, 05:34 PM
http://www.yalebulldogs.com/sports/m-footbl/2014-15/photos/0017/index

some nice pics. Beautiful day, wish I had been there

Ivytalk
September 27th, 2014, 05:51 PM
Nice win, bulldog. Attendance?

bulldog10jw
September 27th, 2014, 05:52 PM
Nice win, bulldog. Attendance?

Ivytalk
September 27th, 2014, 05:55 PM

Nice!

bulldog10jw
September 27th, 2014, 05:58 PM
Nice!

Luckily, it was a beautiful day. I'm sure that helped a lot.

Twentysix
September 27th, 2014, 06:23 PM
Way to go Yale!

Go Green
September 27th, 2014, 06:46 PM

Certainly a good number.

But I think people were hoping for 40k.

bulldog10jw
September 27th, 2014, 06:52 PM
But I think people were hoping for 40k.

40k was unrealistic, in my opinion. I said earlier I thought 25k would be a good crowd. 34k is very, very, good.

Fox 94
September 27th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Unfortunately This game succinctly says Army does not belong in FBS.

I should know since my school's presence in FCS is Attacked on a daily basis.

IBleedYellow
September 27th, 2014, 08:18 PM
Welcome back to the FCS Jeff Monken.

DFW HOYA
September 27th, 2014, 08:24 PM

Of course they belong, but they are a little too small and a little too slow to keep up with teams, much like Georgetown.

Lehigh'98
September 27th, 2014, 08:35 PM
Nicely done Yale. Did Army come away with their Oline in tact?

superman7515
September 27th, 2014, 09:22 PM

They belong as long as they don't get access to the playoffs. xlolx

Pard4Life
September 27th, 2014, 10:45 PM
Great win! Congrats to Yale on a stirring anniversary win. Too bad this does not help your playoff at-large stature lol...

I actually think Fordham has a shot against Army now... and heck Lafayette in a few years. Oh wait never mind, we are 1-19 vs Army.

Pard4Life
September 27th, 2014, 10:48 PM
Yes it is. A FBS team should never play at a FCS school, regardless of historical anniversary or not. Our AD would rather join the Ivy League than invest in FBS football.

What a sour puss! Great venue, great purpose... if Army is losing to FCS teams regardless of where they play, then Army needs to take a hard look at their program. They lost to their last FCS opponent... Stony Brook... at West Point. Fordham is next...

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 27th, 2014, 11:40 PM
What a sour puss! Great venue, great purpose... if Army is losing to FCS teams regardless of where they play, then Army needs to take a hard look at their program. They lost to their last FCS opponent... Stony Brook... at West Point. Fordham is next...

When you say Lafayette to an American the first thing that comes to mind is the name of a French general, not a no-name football team in Easton.

You are right in that matter. The Yale Bowl is a great venue. Army would never travel to your stadium. The Yale Bowl has legitimate history for our squad.

Right now, we are losing to some FCS teams and Army fans are calling for an administration that actually gives a darn about football. We stunk in the 1930's and recovered in the 1940's. Our games will always be on CBS or CBS Sports Network, I have never seen a Lafayette game on TV.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 27th, 2014, 11:42 PM

I guess that means Arkansas and Mississippi State should have been dropped from the SEC for losing to FCS schools.

What has Marist achieved in college football?

Sader87
September 28th, 2014, 12:50 AM
Lighten up St Francis......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OnpkDWbeJs

bulldog10jw
September 28th, 2014, 02:29 AM
http://www.tout.com/embed/touts/ue3ob1?

Pards Rule
September 28th, 2014, 08:21 AM
When you say Lafayette to an American the first thing that comes to mind is the name of a French general, not a no-name football team in Easton.

You are right in that matter. The Yale Bowl is a great venue. Army would never travel to your stadium. The Yale Bowl has legitimate history for our squad.

Right now, we are losing to some FCS teams and Army fans are calling for an administration that actually gives a darn about football. We stunk in the 1930's and recovered in the 1940's. Our games will always be on CBS or CBS Sports Network, I have never seen a Lafayette game on TV.

I believe Friday night's game covered by CBS Sports Network. Long time DC for the Leopards, John Loose, was hired by Army in off season as Linebackers Coach BTW...

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 28th, 2014, 01:11 PM
I believe Friday night's game covered by CBS Sports Network. Long time DC for the Leopards, John Loose, was hired by Army in off season as Linebackers Coach BTW...

Friday night is for amateurs, unless the game is on ESPN.

Obviously, that was a mistake by us. Our linebackers were gashed by the Bulldogs. Some LB coach.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.tout.com/embed/touts/ue3ob1?

Very nice chip. Thanks for sharing.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 28th, 2014, 01:13 PM
Someone starts the fire, I bring gasoline, no water.

I am certainly not St. Francis of Assisi.

OL FU
September 28th, 2014, 01:59 PM
Someone starts the fire, I bring gasoline, no water.

I am certainly not St. Francis of Assisi.

Monken Sucksxrolleyesx

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 28th, 2014, 03:05 PM
Monken Sucksxrolleyesx

As of right now, I am not impressed. Even our previous coach (who shall remain nameless) would have beaten Yale.

Pard4Life
September 28th, 2014, 03:28 PM

xrolleyesx We are not talking about Lafayette; we are talking about Army. As for a name, Army has not done anything in football since 1996, and anything of major significance that only very old alumni can remember. If not for Army's name, tradition, mission etc., their football program would be cast into irrelevancy like the rest of the Patriot League.

However, I agree that Army should be playing top tier football, but their administration has to find a way. Army will not be on Alabama's level, but something akin to Duke or BYU would be a good goal.

And PS Lafayette has had several games on CBS Sports Network... and all our games have been broadcast on the East Coast (if you have RCN) for the past 12 years.

Pard4Life
September 28th, 2014, 03:30 PM
What has Marist achieved in college football?

They gave us Bill O'Brien!

Oh wait... that's an achievement? xsmhx

32counter
September 28th, 2014, 08:27 PM
Great win.Terrific day in New Haven with 35,000 in attendance.Army Cadets marching into the Bowl was quite a site along with pregame parachutists and helicopter flyovers.Yale students out in force.Both schools marching bands provided pregame and halftime energy.Ping pong football.1200 yds offense.Yale seemed to outsize the Black Knights down the stretch.Yale RB Varga likely to play on Sundays.Memorable game at venue centennial celebration.

Pard4Life
September 28th, 2014, 08:37 PM
Right on Varga. I DVR'd the game (and watched it instead of the NFL Eagles game... go FCS!) and it seems clear to me that Varga should be up there on the Peyton Watch List.

I also put Yale in my AGS Top 25 at 24. If anyone has any doubts, remember, Yale won on the road at Poly last year.

Go Green
September 28th, 2014, 09:15 PM
I also put Yale in my AGS Top 25 at 24. If anyone has any doubts, remember, Yale won on the road at Poly last year.

And if anyone has any doubts, remember, Holy Cross beat Army in the season opener in 2002.

And ended up going 4-8.

:)

Pard4Life
September 28th, 2014, 09:39 PM
And if anyone has any doubts, remember, Holy Cross beat Army in the season opener in 2002.

And ended up going 4-8.

x-nay on the 2002-nay

ngineer
September 28th, 2014, 10:39 PM
http://images.scribblelive.com/2014/9/27/30e42604-6d29-4d63-ad8c-b5d2dbf763af_500.jpg

Old scoreboard really got a workout the past two weeks. 92 points this week and 97 week before with Lehigh. Sounds like your TB did another great job. That guy is a load.

ngineer
September 28th, 2014, 10:42 PM
Right on Varga. I DVR'd the game (and watched it instead of the NFL Eagles game... go FCS!) and it seems clear to me that Varga should be up there on the Peyton Watch List.

Saw Varga in person two weeks ago and fully agree he deserves 'watching'. A real load at 235 but also quick.

Go...gate
September 28th, 2014, 10:48 PM

And ended up going 4-8.

Surprised that there seems to be some denigration or minimizing of the Yale victory.

IMO, beating Army is far more significant than beating any PFL, Ivy, PL or NEC club. Yale stepped up against a major national program (though down at the heels) and posted a victory.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 28th, 2014, 11:37 PM
Surprised that there seems to be some denigration or minimizing of the Yale victory.

IMO, beating Army is far more significant than beating any PFL, Ivy, PL or NEC club. Yale stepped up against a major national program (though down at the heels) and posted a victory.

I agree with this. Even if I think beating a NEC club is a fine victory. :)

It is too bad that none of our teams (Army included) aren't national powers anymore. Yale-Army would have been 8 PM at ABC back in the early 1900's. (Barring the invention of the TV of course.)

Colgate won a NC in 1932. I support that even if TipTop25 doesn't.

Go...gate
September 29th, 2014, 12:49 AM
KnightoftheRedFlash, I suppose I'm showing my age, but I remember Army having some awfully good teams over the years. I still don't get what happened after 1996. That was a hell of a ballclub and I am perplexed that it seemed that the West Point leadership failed to support the program after that. Showing Bob Sutton the door and bringing in that pair of idiots from Illinois State in the late 1990's certainly did not help things.

I still think Army will get it back together. They need another Tom Cahill, Jim Young or Sutton - somebody who "gets it" with those youngsters. I hope Monken is the man.

Go Green
September 29th, 2014, 09:24 AM

We may have different definitions of "significant." While I agree that Army is tougher than the PFL, I think Fordham is tougher than Army. If you disagree, fine.

I've been saying for a long time to anyone who will listen that good Ivy teams should do just fine against the bottom FBS teams. A nothing special Harvard team took Army to the brink in 1991 (lost 21-20). While it's a great OOC win for the Ivy and probably got a lot of press attention, it would be foolhardy to worship Yale's feet. Yale will still have to fight hard to get into the upper division of the Ivy this year.

If they go undefeated, then I'll eat crow.

bulldog10jw
September 29th, 2014, 10:12 AM
. Yale will still have to fight hard to get into the upper division of the Ivy this year.

As will Dartmouth.

But, if they go undefeated I will.........oh, never mind. :D

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 29th, 2014, 02:05 PM
KnightoftheRedFlash, I suppose I'm showing my age, but I remember Army having some awfully good teams over the years. I still don't get what happened after 1996. That was a hell of a ballclub and I am perplexed that it seemed that the West Point leadership failed to support the program after that. Showing Bob Sutton the door and bringing in that pair of idiots from Illinois State in the late 1990's certainly did not help things.

I still think Army will get it back together. They need another Tom Cahill, Jim Young or Sutton - somebody who "gets it" with those youngsters. I hope Monken is the man.

I am college-aged so I don't remember that glory year. We do need that special coach and an administration dedicated to football.

- - - Updated - - -

We may have different definitions of "significant." While I agree that Army is tougher than the PFL, I think Fordham is tougher than Army. If you disagree, fine.

I've been saying for a long time to anyone who will listen that good Ivy teams should do just fine against the bottom FBS teams. A nothing special Harvard team took Army to the brink in 1991 (lost 21-20). While it's a great OOC win for the Ivy and probably got a lot of press attention, it would be foolhardy to worship Yale's feet. Yale will still have to fight hard to get into the upper division of the Ivy this year.

If they go undefeated, then I'll eat crow.

Fordham, as of right now, is definitely better than Army.

crusader11
September 29th, 2014, 02:10 PM

Oh well.

One of my fondest college football memories was when Holy Cross went to West Point in 2002 and beat Army.

Sader87
September 29th, 2014, 02:16 PM
I am college-aged so I don't remember that glory year. We do need that special coach and an administration dedicated to football.

- - - Updated - - -

Fordham, as of right now, is definitely better than Army.

We'll find out in a couple months....

I agree that there is a propaganda push here that Army must be horrendous if, heaven forfend, Yale could beat them. Army is not good but they aren't completely inept this year. They handled Buffalo pretty easily and coulda, woulda, shoulda won at Wake.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 29th, 2014, 03:00 PM
We'll find out in a couple months....

I agree that there is a propaganda push here that Army must be horrendous if, heaven forfend, Yale could beat them. Army is not good but they aren't completely inept this year. They handled Buffalo pretty easily and coulda, woulda, shoulda won at Wake.

I agree. We were one stand away from beating Wake. Now Wake isn't any great shakes (RHYME) but we certainly should have beaten them and Yale. But we didn't and no one should discredit Yale's win. They took advantage of our weaknesses and exploits us. That is a mark of a good, if not great, team.

32counter
September 29th, 2014, 07:39 PM
Army's lines are not big.They are undersized.Yale's OLine pushed them around.Army's running attack of a veer/option kept them in the game with some long TD run breakaways coupled with Yale's extremely young defense.20-25 top FCS teams could handle Army easily.Fordham is better than Yale but all the New Haven stars were properly aligned for the Boola boola.Rams may not have the same luck at Michie later this year.Yale having Varga didn't hurt either just as Maysonnet speed and size helped Stony Brook run over the Cadets at West Point 2 years ago.

bulldog10jw
September 30th, 2014, 04:09 PM
Some really nice pictures here

https://storify.com/scottgriffin/college-football-sept-27

Ivytalk
September 30th, 2014, 06:38 PM
Some really nice pictures here

https://storify.com/scottgriffin/college-football-sept-27

As you know, bulldog, a Yalie always manages to work his educational pedigree into the first 5 minutes of any conversation. So what are the Yale sports boards saying now? Are they talking Ivy title?

bulldog10jw
September 30th, 2014, 07:16 PM
As you know, bulldog, a Yalie always manages to work his educational pedigree into the first 5 minutes of any conversation. So what are the Yale sports boards saying now? Are they talking Ivy title?

Surprisingly, no. It has been pointed out that Lehigh and Army have combined for a record of 1-7 and Yale could have just as easily lost both games.

That, and the fact that the defense has been porous, to say the least, is keeping everyone pretty level headed.......if that is possible for a Yalie. :D

32counter
October 1st, 2014, 12:40 PM
Highlights of Yale-Army game.

http://www.ivyleaguedigitalnetwork.com/yale/video/yale-game-highlights

caribbeanhen
October 1st, 2014, 08:19 PM
Yale!