PDA

View Full Version : JMU-Delaware Game Thread

blur2005
November 4th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Apparently no one has started one. Perhaps because it's being televised.

Anyway, JMU leads 14-7 at the end of the first quarter.

SunCoastBlueHen
November 4th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Our defense stinks! The JMU punter might as well get changed and enjoy the game from the stands with his parents. He won't see the field tonight.

ChickenMan
November 4th, 2006, 06:04 PM
this is the worst defense in modern UD history... a total embarrasment

mainejeff
November 4th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Where's this game being televised?

ChickenMan
November 4th, 2006, 06:07 PM
CN8

mainejeff
November 4th, 2006, 06:07 PM
What the heck is CN8? Do I get that on DirecTV?

ChickenMan
November 4th, 2006, 06:13 PM
live video feed

http://cn8.tv/channel/article.asp?lArticleID=4664&lChannelID=604&subhead=cn8live

ChickenMan
November 4th, 2006, 06:17 PM
I've finally seen a coach who whines more than KC... Mickey Matthews... xlolx

blur2005
November 4th, 2006, 06:21 PM
I've finally seen a coach who whines more than KC... Mickey Matthews... xlolx
Hate on Mickey all you want...we'll take a W.:)

blur2005
November 4th, 2006, 06:23 PM
HAHA, Holloman goes untouched for a 80 yard TD run.

JMU 21-7 lead with 2:52 left in the first half.

Sam Adams
November 4th, 2006, 06:23 PM
80 yd run from scrimmage untouched for the TD. Wow UD sucks.:eek:

SunCoastBlueHen
November 4th, 2006, 06:25 PM
HAHA, Holloman goes untouched for a 80 yard TD run.

JMU 21-7 lead with 2:52 left in the first half.

Geeze, did you see the size of that hole?! I might not of scored on that one, but I would have gone for at least 50...

Sam Adams
November 4th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Crap kick by JMU. UD at the 35.

blur2005
November 4th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Sorry, we apparently missed the extra point after Holloman's TD, so it's actually 20-7 at the half.

Sam Adams
November 4th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Right. Flacco is gonna have to go off in order to keep this thing close. Otherwise its just another sad L for UD.

SunCoastBlueHen
November 4th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Right. Flacco is gonna have to go off in order to keep this thing close. Otherwise its just another sad L for UD.

We are simply not a good team this year, but I'm not sure why you take such pleasure in that. :rolleyes:

SirApp
November 4th, 2006, 06:41 PM
I'm lovin' this thing on Herschel Walker :nod:

YoUDeeMan
November 4th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Villanova 28 Richmond 0. 3rd quarter just beginning.

Sam Adams
November 4th, 2006, 06:44 PM
We are simply not a good team this year, but I'm not sure why you take such pleasure in that. :rolleyes:

I take no pleasure in it. I'm rooting for UD. But its pretty obvious that unless Flacco goes for 400 & 4 TDs that its unlikely that UD can hang here because KC hasn't bothered to prepare this team defensively all year long including today.

Sam Adams
November 4th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Looks like the spiders have spit the bit.

YoUDeeMan
November 4th, 2006, 06:47 PM

Ignore him. He's just waiting for his team to implode. UMass almost did against UNH. Lost TOP by 10 minutes, got out gained 441-294, but won the game.

UD is bad this year, but will be back. Not to worry. And, like clockwork, UMass will do it's thing and bow out ungracefully. It is just a matter of time, and Sammy knows it.

Tick...tick...tick...tick...

YoUDeeMan
November 4th, 2006, 06:50 PM
With Richmond currently losing big, UNH on the edge of four loses, and Towson losing, the A-10 might only get 2 teams in the playoffs.

We eat our own.

Sam Adams
November 4th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Typical silly stuff from UD fans. Some of you guys don't seem to have an ounce of class and talk about thin skins ! :eek:

I'm just watching this game looking for UD to start hitting and spark an upset. No need to start attacking other teams guys. Just win this frikking game.

umassfan
November 4th, 2006, 06:55 PM
I guess UD left their D at home again this week. Man this is painful to watch. Why cant we play UD this year.

Sam Adams
November 4th, 2006, 06:55 PM
TD Madison on the bomb first play from scrimmage in the 2d half. As I predicted, Matthews is looking to run this thing up !! Katie bar the door !!! 27 - 7 Dukes.

mainejeff
November 4th, 2006, 06:56 PM
With Richmond currently losing big, UNH on the edge of four loses, and Towson losing, the A-10 might only get 2 teams in the playoffs.

We eat our own.

And Maine standing at 5-1 in the A-10.

blur2005
November 4th, 2006, 06:56 PM
70-yard TD by D.D. Boxley from Rascati

XP is good

27-7 with 14:26 to go in the 3rd

Sam Adams
November 4th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Maine or UNH, JMU & UMass still look to be in good shape.

umassfan
November 4th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Maine, JMU & UMass still look to be in good shape.
Prob tho... Maine will be knocked out next week.

Sam Adams
November 4th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Prob tho... Maine will be knocked out next week.

Do you really think that if they lose to #1 UMass it would knock them out?

blur2005
November 4th, 2006, 07:07 PM
They'd have four losses.

umassfan
November 4th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Seems they would have 4 losses... Yes.

Sam Adams
November 4th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Yeah but they beat Shaw :smiley_wi

blur2005
November 4th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Delaware kicked a field goal then tried to surprise JMU with an onside kick, which failed.

Sam Adams
November 4th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Can't blame KC for trying, he knows that Matthews is going for the blowout.

umassfan
November 4th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Man I could score on that defense. Could it be any worse.

blur2005
November 4th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Rascati hooks up with L.C. Baker on a 14 yard playaction pass for a TD.

XP is good.

34-10 JMU leads with 4:08 remaining in the 3rd quarter.

Sam Adams
November 4th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Can't blame KC for trying, he knows that Matthews is going for the blowout.

xlolx

that didn't take long... 34-10

Absolutley No D being played here by UD.

November 4th, 2006, 07:21 PM
reminder... watch here:
http://www.cn8.tv/shared/video/cn8winmedia.asx

YoUDeeMan
November 4th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Update: Ricmond coming back. Vill 28, Rich 21. A few minutes into 4th.

Sam Adams
November 4th, 2006, 07:23 PM
UD needs a score here to keep this thing manageable. C'mon Hens stick it in the end zone !!

November 4th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Jordan having another huge game for JMU

November 4th, 2006, 07:48 PM
UD scores, Flacco short run
JMU 37
UD 17
8:44 4Q

Sam Adams
November 4th, 2006, 07:50 PM
C'mon UD lets get this thing going !!!

blur2005
November 4th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Screw this, what is JMU doing? Put this game away, like really away.

blur2005
November 4th, 2006, 07:58 PM
There we go, Arthur Moats, fumble return for a TD.

XP is good

44-17 with 4:43 remaining.

Sam Adams
November 4th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Ask & ye shall receive....Fumbleiayah .... 44-17

RadMann
November 4th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Jeez, Sam Adams rooting for UD... That has to be bad luck....

mainejeff
November 4th, 2006, 08:05 PM
App State, UMass, and JMU........head and shoulders above the rest :nod:

Sam Adams
November 4th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Some of my best friends are UD fans. I was mainly just rooting for a good game. Am very impressed with JMU however.

Sam Adams
November 4th, 2006, 08:08 PM
TD Hens !!!

umassfan
November 4th, 2006, 08:14 PM
I was bout to lose some respect for JMU there because they werent taking a knee. Bout fricken time.

blur2005
November 4th, 2006, 08:14 PM
The final is 44-24. Pretty dominating performance by JMU.

umassfan
November 4th, 2006, 08:21 PM
The final is 44-24. Pretty dominating performance by JMU.
JMU does look impressive. As stated I hope they put JMU on the other half of the bracket so it can be an all A10 final.

YoUDeeMan
November 4th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Some of my best friends are UD fans. I was mainly just rooting for a good game. Am very impressed with JMU however.

You have friends? xlolx xlolx

Hey, Good game JMU. I hope both you and UMass represent the A-10 well. Hopefully, as someone else said, you'll end up in opposite brackets and meet in the championship!

umassfan
November 4th, 2006, 08:22 PM
You have friends? xlolx xlolx

Hey, Good game JMU. I hope both you and UMass represent the A-10 well. Hopefully, as someone else said, you'll end up in opposite brackets and meet in the championship!
Chuck i guess i had the quicker mouseclick lol

YoUDeeMan
November 4th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Chuck i guess i had the quicker mouseclick lol

I took time to go back to find Sammy's post.

Can't dislike him that much...love the beer! :nod:

blur2005
November 4th, 2006, 08:45 PM
JMU does look impressive. As stated I hope they put JMU on the other half of the bracket so it can be an all A10 final.
There we go - we can determine the Atlantic 10 championship and the National championship in the same game. :D :D

SirApp
November 4th, 2006, 08:48 PM
yea, JMU looked scary good today....the Jordan kid is a beast.

Sam Adams
November 4th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Congrats JMU !!! You guys look like a very good football team - a NC contender for sure. Obviously UD is in a down year, but I'm sure they'll pull things together.

BlueHen86
November 4th, 2006, 09:45 PM
I only saw the first half, but JMU looked dominant. Delaware was lucky to get their first TD, they fumbled but the refs missed it.
This is perhaps the worst defense I've ever seen for the Hens, JMU moved the ball at will.

BillLuc1982
November 4th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Well-played game by JMU's PLAYERS. Kicking was JMU's only problem. There were a few bad calls such as kicking the field goal when you only have 2 yards to go versus UD's defense and then going for it on 4th and 4 when up by a lot. Also, the coach should have taken Rascati out earlier to prevent him from being injured and to give the backup some experience. I was very impressed by Rascati's athleticism and decision-making. I know he will be playing on Sunday next year.

I'd like to thank Doug and Christine for selling me a ticket. They were fun to watch the game with.

Also, a hats off to DELAWARE'S FANS. Your fans are loyal win or lose. Also, before the game, I noticed how cordial a lot of you were. I am definitely looking forward to seeing at least one (hopefully both) of your last home games. Delaware seems like a pleasant environment. I talked to one fan before the game and he knew about Youngstown State! The Delaware fans seemed more cordial than MOST JMU fans. None of the JMU fans (even the cadets) knew where the CAA Zone tent was. I could not find it, and nobody offered me any food. I am looking forward to tailgating in Delaware, though. I'd really like to see a lot of you fans.

Good luck to both teams the rest of the year!

BDKJMU
November 5th, 2006, 03:14 AM
Game wasn't even as close as the score. 4th and goal from the 2 yard line, and against UD's defense. Probably about 80% chance its a TD, but Mickey goes for the FG? JMU's kicker Rabil on the previous extra point I heard (2nd hand info) had set the JMU record for consecutive PATs at 76. So a 19 yard field from the right hash in the cold, while a little more difficult than a 20 yard PAT from the center hash, is probably 90% chance he makes it. The field goal look like a close to sure thing. As luck would have it, Rabil slams it into the crossbar. but going for the TD was a no brainer. That call probably cost JMU a TD. Then with the missed PAT and taking a knee at the 1 yard line at the end of the game, UD is lucky JMU didn't put up 59 instead of 44. 542 yds total offense for JMU.

On the other side of the ball JMU held UD to 177 yards through the 1st 3 quarters. UD gets 134 in garbage time in the 4th for 311 total, including 2 TDs in the last 8+ min, the 1st one JMU had about half their 2nd team d in vs Delaware's starters, the last one JMU had all their defensive starters out. Thats now 8 garbage time TDs JMU's defense has given up in the 4th quarter after being ahead from 21-52 points in the 4th quarter.

http://www.jmusports.com/Team/Stats/2/delaware.htm

Delaware Ghostrider II
November 5th, 2006, 07:49 AM
KC has quite an off season ahead of him...we must not have gotten many I-A transfers this year...lmao.....This is undoubtably one of the worst D's in UD history! I am appalled! This is just plain rediculous! However my hat is off to Holloman...nice game man....does anyone know did Keeler where his sunglasses tonight? Must not have......more like blinders tonight....he couldn't stop JMU for nothing! UD's defense is uglier than a mud fence! I am just so ticked right now. I listened to game on 94.7FM and this morning I am still steaming. Though I told everyone that I work with that we were gonna have our butts handed to us on a purple and gold platter...so it wasnt unexpected.... but DAMN gains of 50/80 yds on the ground!!!! Where's Shawn Johnson and "Pop" Adams when ya need em???:bang:

Delaware Ghostrider II
November 5th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Hey BDKJMU...NEWS FLASH: YOU WON...quit your whining....it was more of JMU showing thier class as a school! IT's called sportsmanship....ya know when your up by 2-3 TDs subbing in your second team D's and stuff like that...happens all across the country. When they give up "GARBAGE" yds and TDs then lose...then complain!!!!! Let's see it happens in High school....it happens in the pros...and guess what nimrod...it happens in college....!!!!!!!!!! :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :twocents:

My last thought is...you never played ball did ya??? Kinda like the analysts on ESPN/FOX and so on...never played an organized sport but seems to have all the answers on what the teams are doing wrong!!!!!

ChickenMan
November 5th, 2006, 08:24 AM
JMU looks like a team that can go a long way in the playoffs... while Delaware looks like a team with mediocre DII talent on defense. That lack of ability on defense is really shocking and it won't be corrected anytime soon. I've been watching UD football a long tome and this is by FAR the least talented group of defenders that I have ever seen in a UD uniform. KC has complained of injuries and inexperience and while those are factors... they don't nearly explain the total dearth of talent that he has assembled on the defensive side of the ball.

I'm not bashing the players... I'm sure that they are doing their best... all the blame goes to KC and his staff... recruiting and coaching are totally responsible for the current disastrous situation at UD.

Good luck to both JMU and UMass in the playoffs... you are what UD used to be.

Delaware Ghostrider II
November 5th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Like I said too...our D SUCKS!!!! JMU played a very good game....same for me...Good Luck JMU and UMASS bring back that Championship to the A-10 where it belongs!!!!

th0m
November 5th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Like I said too...our D SUCKS!!!! JMU played a very good game....same for me...Good Luck JMU and UMASS bring back that Championship to the A-10 where it belongs!!!!

Will do!

Just finished watching the game on tape as I couldn't see it live. Entertaining game! (at least, for JMU fans)

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 5th, 2006, 01:27 PM
TD Madison on the bomb first play from scrimmage in the 2d half. As I predicted, Matthews is looking to run this thing up !!

Sam... a wide open reciever down field on a playaction pass is not looking to run up the score...
Especially when its just hte beginning of the second half.

Sam Adams
November 5th, 2006, 01:31 PM
JMU: I happen to appreciate the way Matthews calls games. This is D1 football nothing wrong with Matthews' aggressive offensive philosophy. No need to get your panties in a bunch :rolleyes:

mcveyrl
November 5th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Sam... a wide open reciever down field on a playaction pass is not looking to run up the score...

Actually, I said at half time that we needed to put the thing away on our first drive. Mickey just decided he didn't want a drive...

BDKJMU
November 5th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Hey BDKJMU...NEWS FLASH: YOU WON...quit your whining....it was more of JMU showing thier class as a school! IT's called sportsmanship....ya know when your up by 2-3 TDs subbing in your second team D's and stuff like that...happens all across the country. When they give up "GARBAGE" yds and TDs then lose...then complain!!!!! Let's see it happens in High school....it happens in the pros...and guess what nimrod...it happens in college....!!!!!!!!!! :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :twocents:

My last thought is...you never played ball did ya??? Kinda like the analysts on ESPN/FOX and so on...never played an organized sport but seems to have all the answers on what the teams are doing wrong!!!!!

Hey numbnuts, I wasn't whining. Just stating the facts as I saw them. I've never seen JMU give up anywhere close to as much garbage time TDs. Combination of alot of factors- a number of blowout games, if its the starters maybe they're not playing as hard/letting up a little, if its the coaches it maybe because they're putting them in prevent type defense, if its the backups it may be because of a big talent drop off- a lot of time its our backups and the other teams still have their starters in. Whatever it is- it makes JMU's defense look less dominat on paper. I DON'T want JMU to run up the score. Better to win a closer game with class. But I don't like prevent defenses, and when JMU has their backups in in the middle/late 4th in a blowout, IMHO so should the other team. In the end, all of this doesn't matter- only the W (with class).

You're the one who comes across as all pissed off- you admitted as much in the prior post. So why don't you get your panties out of a wad and take a deep breath. BTW, I did play numerous organized sports. As far as football- 1 yr junior high, 4 yrs HS varsity, 2 yrs college.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 5th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Why is there so much talk about JMU running up the score...it was a 20 point win.......could have been MUCH WORSE.

grayghost06
November 5th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Unless you're up two touchdowns MORE than the spread...you are not, I repeat NOT running up the score by scoring again. :)

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 5th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Thank god Landers didn't make it into the endzone on that 45 yard rush at the end of the game or things really would have been out of control!:smiley_wi

Dukie95
November 5th, 2006, 09:58 PM
I don't see why fans from UMass have any right to claim JMU runs the score. UMass has a larger average margin of victory than JMU, including two 41 point victories.

:confused:

Maroon&White
November 5th, 2006, 10:09 PM
UD is bad this year, but will be back. Not to worry. And, like clockwork, UMass will do it's thing and bow out ungracefully. It is just a matter of time, and Sammy knows it.

After all this same talk about UMass, I just have to ask...

What the hell is everybody talking about? Where did this sudden belief that UMass always chokes come from??

BillLuc1982
November 5th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Why is there so much talk about JMU running up the score...it was a 20 point win.......could have been MUCH WORSE.

From my observations, Matthews was certainly NOT running up the score. Scoring a defensive touchdown when you're up by 20 is not running up the score. Let's say JMU were up by 40. What do you expect a defender who makes a big play in the 4th quarter to do? Kneel as soon as he recovers a fumble or intercepts a pass? Uh, no! He's taking it to the house!

Actually, Matthews was a little too conservative. With Delaware's defense, Matthews should have gone for it on 4th and 2 from the 2 when up 14-7. And it isn't hindsight. Before he brought in the field goal unit, I was chanting "GO GO GO". Also, if Matthews wanted to run up the score, he would have gone for two to make up for the missed extra point. However, he elected to kick each extra point.

Actually if you take away the bad ref calls and the FG attempt on 4th and 2, JMU would have a score in the 50's.

Maroon&White
November 5th, 2006, 10:18 PM
I don't see why fans from UMass have any right to claim JMU runs the score. UMass has a larger average margin of victory than JMU, including two 41 point victories.

:confused:

:nonono2:

A larger margin of victory? By what, a FG? - really running up the score in comparison to JMU. I'm not saying either team does, and personally don't care if either do. Having watched Brown coach live for almost every game in 3yrs, I can say he definitely does not go for running up the score. I haven't seen enough of Matthews/JMU on a regular basis to say for certain, but like I said before, I don't care if they do.

Maroon&White
November 5th, 2006, 10:22 PM
What do you expect a defender who makes a big play in the 4th quarter to do? Kneel as soon as he recovers a fumble or intercepts a pass? Uh, no! He's taking it to the house!

Ihedigbo for UMass did just that last week vs. NU, he went to the ground after his INT. He had a pretty open path to the endzone on the NU sideline, but decided to go down ;)

mcveyrl
November 5th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Ihedigbo for UMass did just that last week vs. NU, he went to the ground after his INT. He had a pretty open path to the endzone on the NU sideline, but decided to go down ;)

Wasn't that a 7-0 game in a monsoon? Defenders are taught to go down in cases like that. No point in risking a fumble. With a two score lead, it's every man for himself when the defense gets a chance to score!

Maroon&White
November 6th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Wasn't that a 7-0 game in a monsoon? Defenders are taught to go down in cases like that. No point in risking a fumble. With a two score lead, it's every man for himself when the defense gets a chance to score!

Come on, don't try to defend a JMU player taking it in or Ihedigbo taking a knee. Some players just play differently. Chances of fumbling the ball were just as high in both situations. JMU player decided he wanted a TD, Ihedigbo decided he wanted to go down.

The fact that it was a 7-0, IMO, would be more reason to try for the TD. Didn't matter anyways, it was the end of the game.

th0m
November 6th, 2006, 05:08 AM
From my observations, Matthews was certainly NOT running up the score. Scoring a defensive touchdown when you're up by 20 is not running up the score. Let's say JMU were up by 40. What do you expect a defender who makes a big play in the 4th quarter to do? Kneel as soon as he recovers a fumble or intercepts a pass? Uh, no! He's taking it to the house!

Actually, Matthews was a little too conservative. With Delaware's defense, Matthews should have gone for it on 4th and 2 from the 2 when up 14-7. And it isn't hindsight. Before he brought in the field goal unit, I was chanting "GO GO GO". Also, if Matthews wanted to run up the score, he would have gone for two to make up for the missed extra point. However, he elected to kick each extra point.

Actually if you take away the bad ref calls and the FG attempt on 4th and 2, JMU would have a score in the 50's.

Thank you for your, what we can probably ALL agree on, objective perspective.

Sam Adams
November 6th, 2006, 07:03 AM
Matthews always tries to score as many points as possible. Not sure why you Dukes are all defensive about that. If he could have laid another 14 pts on UD before garbage time he would have done so. Nice of the Dukes to take a knee on the two as time ran out however.

Good for Mickey ! The guy is trying to score as much and as often as possible. And what guy isn't ??? :D

mcveyrl
November 6th, 2006, 07:36 AM
Come on, don't try to defend a JMU player taking it in or Ihedigbo taking a knee. Some players just play differently. Chances of fumbling the ball were just as high in both situations. JMU player decided he wanted a TD, Ihedigbo decided he wanted to go down.

The fact that it was a 7-0, IMO, would be more reason to try for the TD. Didn't matter anyways, it was the end of the game.

Do you have any football sense?? Of course there was just as likely a chance to fumble. The point is that the UMass fumble would've been more detrimental only up 7-0 (what if he fumbles and N'eastrn runs it back for six?). In tight games at the end, players are trained to stay down on a fumble or knock down the interception (or fall right after you pick it). With a two score lead, all bets are off and the defense should try to get the touchdown they might never get to score again.

Maroon&White
November 6th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Do you have any football sense?? Of course there was just as likely a chance to fumble. The point is that the UMass fumble would've been more detrimental only up 7-0 (what if he fumbles and N'eastrn runs it back for six?). In tight games at the end, players are trained to stay down on a fumble or knock down the interception (or fall right after you pick it). With a two score lead, all bets are off and the defense should try to get the touchdown they might never get to score again.

You are just showing more that Mickey runs up scores. In close game like the UMass/NU one, Mickey would say don't score. In a blowout, Mickey would say score. All belts aren't off in a blowout, just some players don't have much respect for other teams and will try to score.

mcveyrl
November 6th, 2006, 08:12 AM
You are just showing more that Mickey runs up scores. In close game like the UMass/NU one, Mickey would say don't score. In a blowout, Mickey would say score. All belts aren't off in a blowout, just some players don't have much respect for other teams and will try to score.

No, in a close game you protect the ball, which I'm sure is what the UMass player was doing. Otherwise, you gotta let the defender try to score a touchdown.

If Mickey wanted to run up the score we could've punched it in from the 1 at the end of the game.

Maroon&White
November 6th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Otherwise, you gotta let the defender try to score a touchdown.

No you don't xlolx xlolx

HensRock
November 6th, 2006, 08:36 AM
I've never seen JMU give up anywhere close to as much garbage time TDs. Combination of alot of factors- a number of blowout games, if its the starters maybe they're not playing as hard/letting up a little, if its the coaches it maybe because they're putting them in prevent type defense, if its the backups it may be because of a big talent drop off- a lot of time its our backups and the other teams still have their starters in. Whatever it is- it makes JMU's defense look less dominat on paper.

You would look a lot less like a homer if perhaps in your litany of reasons for UD scoring in "garbage time", you just might think to acknowledge the other team's offense as having something to do with that. Look, everyone here agrees that UD defense is poor, but their offense is actually pretty good. It's what kept them in and actually won them a few games this season.

BTW, I do not think Mickey was running up the score. Our D is just that bad.

mcveyrl
November 6th, 2006, 09:34 AM
You would look a lot less like a homer if perhaps in your litany of reasons for UD scoring in "garbage time", you just might think to acknowledge the other team's offense as having something to do with that. Look, everyone here agrees that UD defense is poor, but their offense is actually pretty good. It's what kept them in and actually won them a few games this season.

I agree. We kept a lot of our starters in the game, but played a more relaxed defense. UD still had to make the plays (Aaron Love had a couple of AMAZING catches in the 4th Quarter, you could see his character).

BDKJMU
November 6th, 2006, 10:12 AM

BTW, I do not think Mickey was running up the score. Our D is just that bad.

If it was just the UD game then I'd agree with you. But in all 5 of JMU's lopsided wins its been 2 TDs, 2 TDs, 2 TD's, 1 TD, and 1 TD given up in the mid to late 4th. The 1st one given up to UD (8+ min) JMU had at least 5 backups in- entire D line and at least 1 linebacker. No problem there. But with the one with about 2 min left, that was UD's starting offense (Flacco to Patrick). I'd already left the stadium by that point, but if JMU had all their backups in as I suspect they did, then so should have UD. IMHO, when a team is WAY ahead in the 4th mid-late and puts in their backups, so should the other team.

bandl
November 6th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Look, everyone here agrees that UD defense is poor, but their offense is actually pretty good. It's what kept them in and actually won them a few games this season.

Delaware
NET YARDS RUSHING........20
Rushing Attempts............26
Average Per Rush............0.8
Yards Gained Rushing.......58
Yards Lost Rushing..........38

DB_Atlantic10
November 6th, 2006, 10:41 AM
If it was just the UD game then I'd agree with you. But in all 5 of JMU's lopsided wins its been 2 TDs, 2 TDs, 2 TD's, 1 TD, and 1 TD given up in the mid to late 4th. The 1st one given up to UD (8+ min) JMU had at least 5 backups in- entire D line and at least 1 linebacker. No problem there. But with the one with about 2 min left, that was UD's starting offense (Flacco to Patrick). I'd already left the stadium by that point, but if JMU had all their backups in as I suspect they did, then so should have UD. IMHO, when a team is WAY ahead in the 4th mid-late and puts in their backups, so should the other team.

Maybe in HS ball....both teams putting in their backups LOL..... This is a competitive sport and teams play to the end regardless...having the score advantage gives teams a chance to work their depth charts, which is that teams call. People lose their jobs in this sport...and if you are wiling to put your 2nd guys, then so be it.....but teams will always try to score to at least close the gap for a closer game on paper.

YoUDeeMan
November 6th, 2006, 12:46 PM
IMHO, when a team is WAY ahead in the 4th mid-late and puts in their backups, so should the other team.

Good game JMU. You weren't running up the score.

As far as playing back up late in the game, UD is playing for next year. Flacco and Co. need more reps. This is a young team on both sides of the ball. With all of their injuries (not an excuse for the loss), UD is already playing many of their back ups (seriously). There is not much left in the tank.

In blowouts, good teams that are winning bring in their back ups. Some people think it is because they do not want run up the score. But in reality, most coaches want their younger players to get more game time so that they can develop depth and gain experience for next year. That is how good teams stay good.

As I've said in several threads, represent the A-10 well in the playoffs!

Delaware Ghostrider II
November 6th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Let me get this striaght ...if I can....:confused: :eyebrow: Ok one team is up by 2-3 scores and they sub in thier 2nd teams....so in turn the team that is tryin everything in thier power to somehoe form a comeback and win, should sub in thier 2nd team too?? I just don't see it......ooh and BDK...you wanna post how long you played football....ok here we go....4th-6th grade Pop warner....7-8 Middle school Ball 9-10 JR Varsity (high school) 11-12 Varsity (high school) fall of 93 - fall of 97 college ball (not junior) oh and graduated with a Bachelors of science in Criminal Justice...lol....any who.....I still congratulate you guys on a good game....Holloman was a beast 50/80 yd rund for TDs SWEEEEET! And now I call a truce if you will..... :deadhorse: :bow: :bow:

mcveyrl
November 6th, 2006, 03:32 PM
yes, this thread had a nice run. let's put her to bed.

th0m
November 6th, 2006, 04:25 PM
I agree. Let's focus on next week's game and revive this thread next year....

BDKJMU
November 6th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Let me get this striaght ...if I can....:confused: :eyebrow: Ok one team is up by 2-3 scores and they sub in thier 2nd teams....so in turn the team that is tryin everything in thier power to somehoe form a comeback and win, should sub in thier 2nd team too?? I just don't see it......ooh and BDK...you wanna post how long you played football....ok here we go....4th-6th grade Pop warner....7-8 Middle school Ball 9-10 JR Varsity (high school) 11-12 Varsity (high school) fall of 93 - fall of 97 college ball (not junior) oh and graduated with a Bachelors of science in Criminal Justice...lol....any who.....I still congratulate you guys on a good game....Holloman was a beast 50/80 yd rund for TDs SWEEEEET! And now I call a truce if you will..... :deadhorse: :bow: :bow:

Hey, it was 4 tds (37-10) when JMU started subbing in backups on defense with 11 min left or so left. Smart- the game was over as far as who was going to win (UD's O is good, but not THAT good), backups were fresh, why risk injury to starters with 2 more games and playoffs? But Cluck U explained why Flacco & Co were still in the game with a couple min left scoring that last TD on JMUs back ups after the game was long since over was to get reps for those guys. Since the season as far as the playoffs for UD is over, its worth the slight risk of injury in exchange for more reps. Sounds reasonable since Flacco & I guess a majority of your O starters are coming back next yr. Not like you got to break in a new QB for next yr. I'm sure alot (but a minority) of JMU fans would like to see the defensive score/stats look better for that game & other games for the season where JMU has given up alot of late scores, but not that big a deal. :cool: