PDA

View Full Version : How bout them Bucs?

CSUBUCDAD
November 4th, 2006, 03:39 PM
28-14 CSU over Garner Webb. 3 2nd half interception help seal the deal for the Bucs. CSU went to the half with a 14-0 lead and never looked back. I will let the Garner Webb folks talk about just how good the Bucs really are. Great win for the program. 9-0 for the year and 14 straight wins.

GGASU
November 4th, 2006, 03:46 PM
28-14 CSU over Garner Webb. 3 2nd half interception help seal the deal for the Bucs. CSU went to the half with a 14-0 lead and never looked back. I will let the Garner Webb folks talk about just how good the Bucs really are. Great win for the program. 9-0 for the year and 14 straight wins.

Congrats on the win. I would love to see CSU go undefeated in the regular season this year.

windwalker
November 4th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Good win for the Bucs...

congrats.

windwalker
November 4th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Congrats on the win. I would love to see CSU go undefeated in the regular season this year.

Boo Hiss!!!! all but the last game!!! LOL

rokamortis
November 4th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Congrats on the win.

MarkCCU
November 4th, 2006, 04:01 PM
congrats on the win. i was listening to it on the radio. Dad, weren't they 7-7 going into the half?

bodoyle
November 4th, 2006, 04:02 PM

Get your facts straight it was 14-14 at the half.

and it's Gardner.

CSU BUCS
November 4th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Defense played great, only aloud G-Webb to put together one scoring drive, other TD came off of a muffed punt return. We controlled the game. That huge mistake along with Nick Ellis missing two field goals made the game a lot closer than it should have been.

New milestones for CSU:

9 wins in a season

14 wins in a row

Undefeated Season at home

Collin Drafts surpassed 9,000 career passing yards today.

I’ll post more details about the game latter.

BigApp
November 4th, 2006, 04:12 PM
I will let the Garner Webb folks talk about just how good the Bucs really are..

Yes. Let's let 'em tell us. Since they've played App too.

IaaScribe
November 4th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Good win for the Bucs. It was 14-all at halftime.

Sly Fox
November 4th, 2006, 04:28 PM
The Bucs earned quite a bit of respect today. Now comes the task of winning a tough league game on the road next Saturday. We'll be ready.

CSUBUCDAD
November 4th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Yep, my bust. 14-14 at the half.

SuperJon
November 4th, 2006, 05:06 PM
I was pulling for G-Dub but I said while we were tailgating after our game that I'd man-up and say I was wrong. You guys surprised me. I figured CSU would lose today. LU has to D-up big time next week to have a chance.

CSU BUCS
November 4th, 2006, 06:53 PM
CSU Records Solid Victory On Senior Day Beating Gardner-Webb 28-14

By CSU Sports Information
Senior quarterback Collin Drafts
Senior quarterback Collin Drafts

CHARLESTON, S.C. – Quarterback Collin Drafts set three Big South Conference records, and the CSU defense got three interceptions to hold Gardner-Webb scoreless in the second half of a 28-14 Senior Day victory Saturday afternoon at Buccaneer Field.

Drafts amassed 452 yards of total offense, setting a new Big South mark, while his 406 passing yards was second in the League, only to his own 429 yards in 2004 against Allen. Drafts remains the only quarterback in Big South history to throw for more than 400 yards in a game, having done so twice, and is the only quarterback to top 9,000 yards for a career, passing that mark in the first quarter. He would end the day 31-41 with four touchdowns and no interceptions. Of his record-setting 31 completions, 11 went to Maurice Price who earned 99 yards and one touchdown. Senior Bryant Burch had three catches for 123 yards and two touchdowns, including an 81-yard touchdown in the second quarter. Burch’s other touchdown came in the fourth quarter as he caught a ball on the 10-yardline, made the defender miss, and carried it in the rest of the way, for the 28-yard touchdown that would be the final one of the game.

Facing an offense that averages 31 points a game and 386.5 yards a game, the Buccaneer defense shut them down in the second half, led by Jada Ross’s 12 tackles. The Buccaneers recorded seven tackles-for-loss, including two sacks for a combined 11 yards. They also intercepted three passes, bringing their season mark to 16, tying the school record for a season, set in 2002.

On a special teams unit that has been nearly flawless all season, CSU miscues had a major impact on the game with two first half errors leading to both Gardner-Webb scores. Having forced a GWU fourth down and 11 after Phil Jordan and Josh Mitchell batted down consecutive passes by Campell, the Buccaneers looked to get the ball back. The Michael Hanna punt fell short, though, hitting CSU cover man Drew Rucks in the leg, making it a live ball. Andre Manning recovered the ball on the CSU 24 yard line, keeping the GWU drive alive, leading to the Bulldogs first score, tying the game 7-7 with 6:47 to go in the first quarter.

Charleston Southern would strike back as Drafts hooked up with former track star Bryant Burch, who outran the GWU defense down the sideline, going 81 yards to put CSU back up 14-7.

The special teams blunders struck again with 7:15 remaining in the half as a pass from Hart Pearson to Josh Warrior was complete for 34 yards on a fake punt, but was called back for an illegal man downfield, forcing CSU to punt and give the ball back to the Bulldogs. Gardner-Webb would use the momentum to use six plays, going 54-yards to even the score at 14-14 going into the halftime break.

The first drive of the second quarter would be a good one by CSU as they used exactly five minutes off the clock to go 80 yards. The drive featured a 20-yard pass to Ryan Ard and was capped off by a 27-yard touchdown pass to Price.

The CSU defense would help propel the Buccaneers to the victory as they shut out Gardner-Webb in the second half, picking off three Campbell passes in the fourth quarter. Josh Warrior got the first pick off a deflection by Jonna Lee, setting up a 51-yard drive to put CSU up 28-14. Jon Carmon got the other two interceptions, including one on CSU’s own four-yardline with under two minutes to go that sealed the game for The Buccaneers.

Box Score

http://csusports.athleticsite.com/stats/fb06/csugwu.HTM

The Gadfly
November 4th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Yeah yeah, good game xcoffeex . Hope your crystal slipper (new found defense) won't get lost in 2 weeks.

TexasTerror
November 4th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Still going to be tough for Chuck South to get into the playoffs...

They do have a better argument than USD...

CSU BUCS
November 4th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Yeah yeah, good game xcoffeex . Hope your crystal slipper (new found defense) won't get lost in 2 weeks.

Defense has palyed well all season.
But it's not just Defense playing well. "Drafts amassed 452 yards of total offense, setting a new Big South mark, while his 406 passing yards was second in the League, only to his own 429 yards in 2004............"

CSU BUCS
November 5th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Drafts fares well in home farewellCharleston Southern star throws for 406 yards, lifts Bucs to 9-0CSU 28, Gardner-Webb 14

By David Shelton
Special to The Post and Courier

Charleston Southern senior quarterback Collin Drafts saved one of his best games for his last at CSU Stadium.

Drafts passed for 406 yards and four touchdowns in leading the Buccaneers to a 28-14 victory over Gardner-Webb in CSU's final home game of the season.

The Bucs, 9-0 overall and 2-0 in the Big South Conference, play at Liberty next week before wrapping up their regular season at Coastal Carolina on Nov. 18.

Drafts topped the 9,000-yard mark for his career and came up just shy of the Big South single-game record of 419 passing yards. He finished with 452 total yards Saturday, a Big South record, and completed 31 of 41 passes, another conference record.

"I could not have picked a better way to finish out my home career," said Drafts. "I felt really at ease today. Some of the coaches mentioned to me during the week that I had not seemed like myself in some games and just told me to refocus everything on these last three games. Everything was like in slow motion all day. My receivers made some great catches. There is no better group in the country in my opinion."

Junior receiver Maurice Price, who leads Division I-AA in receptions per game, finished the day with 11 receptions for 99 yards and a touchdown. Senior Bryant Burch caught three passes for 123 yards and two touchdowns while sophomore Markus Murry caught five passes for 85 yards and a score.

"Collin's performance has to be one of the best I've ever seen as a coach," said CSU head coach Jay Mills. "He played extremely well, under control, and never tried to force anything. He's been a great player for us since he arrived and it was really nice to see him play so well in his last home game.

"This group of seniors is special. They came here and went through 1-11 and stuck with it. These 14 guys that suited up today are the foundation of our program and I can't ever express how grateful we are to them for what they have contributed to our program and to our University."

Charleston Southern finished the game with 513 total yards while holding an explosive Gardner-Webb offense to 312 yards. CSU's defense intercepted three passes, two by cornerback Jon Carmon. Gardner-Webb was only 3 of 10 in third-down conversions and managed only 30 yards rushing.

"I thought our defense played outstanding all day long," said Mills. "We really only allowed one drive all day up until the last drive of the game. Our defensive coaches did an outstanding job of preparing our players and the players went out and executed."

With the score tied at 14-14 at the half, Charleston Southern put together an 80-yard drive on its first possession of the third quarter. Drafts capped the drive with a 27-yard scoring toss to Price for a 21-14 lead with 10 minutes left in the quarter.

Neither team scored again until the 11:24 mark of the fourth when the Buccaneers capped a 51-yard drive with a 28-yard touchdown pass from Drafts to Burch on a fourth-and-one play.

CSU's defense then ended Gardner-Webb's next three drives with interceptions to seal the victory.

"We made some mistakes today but overall it was a very complete performance and one that our football team should be very proud of," said Mills.

"Gardner-Webb's two losses coming in were to two teams that are ranked in the top 15 nationally in I-AA. This was a huge win for us. It keeps our goals alive and now we have a chance to finish what we started on the road. We've had some important victories here but this ranks right up there as one of the biggest."

Charleston Southern wasted little time taking control early in the game, scoring on their first possession of the game as Drafts hit Murry with a 17-yard pass with 9:24 remaining for a 7-0 lead.

Gardner-Webb took advantage of a Buccaneers special team mistake, recovering a punt that hit the leg of a Buccaneer blocker at the CSU 24. Five plays later, David Montgomery scored on a 5-yard run to tie the game with 6:47 left in the first.

CSU went to the big play to take the lead when Drafts found Burch wide open for an 81-yard touchdown with 11:56 left in the second quarter. The Bulldogs, however, responded with 3:59 left with Devin Campbell hitting Austin Gaines on a 27-yard touchdown pass to tie the game at 14-14. Campbell finished with 282 yards passing, completing 21-of-41 passes.

CSUBUCDAD
November 5th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Gonna be interesting in two weeks to see how Thigpen responds to getting his head taken off the by Ross the first time he takes off on a run.

CSU BUCS
November 5th, 2006, 07:21 AM
If Drafts plays like he did this week the next two weeks we won’t lose. Of course LU and Coastal’s defense will have something to say about that.
I watched the most amazing performance by a QB I have ever seen in my life yesterday.

chantman
November 5th, 2006, 08:34 AM
If Drafts plays like he did this week the next two weeks we won’t lose. Of course LU and Coastal’s defense will have something to say about that.
I watched the most amazing performance by a QB I have ever seen in my life yesterday.

How old are you, 10?

CoastalFan2005
November 5th, 2006, 09:08 AM
If Drafts plays like he did this week the next two weeks we won’t lose.

You're forgetting that you have to come to Conway this year. Tough place to get a win, considering only one team has won here since the start of the 2004 season. :twocents:

Good win against G-Dubb, but next week, I don't mind saying that I'm rooting for LU.

Coastal89
November 5th, 2006, 09:14 AM
I predict a repeat of their last visit to Conway. :nod: :nod:

CCU97
November 5th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Gonna be interesting in two weeks to see how Thigpen responds to getting his head taken off the by Ross the first time he takes off on a run.

Thigpen has played against much better players than Ross and played very well I might add. Ross is a good player for CSU....but not even close to being able to take Tyler's head off....Ray Lewis he is not....

CSU BUCS
November 5th, 2006, 10:02 AM
I’m 11 and if a QB is allowed to play like that……. man. I however did say the next two Defenses will have something to say about that. I’m worried about Liberty this week, we get past that one then I’ll think about Coastal.

I hear a warm front is moving in this week and Saturdays forecast in Lynchburg is for temps close to 70 degrees, that’s good news for the Bucs, the biggest advantage Liberty could have is if it is cold for the game.

CSU BUCS
November 5th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Ross is a good player for CSU....but not even close to being able to take Tyler's head off....Ray Lewis he is not....

But ……………….he’s little Hercules!
“Hercules, Hercules, Hercules…………..”

CSUBUCDAD
November 6th, 2006, 07:05 AM
Thigpen has played against much better players than Ross and played very well I might add. Ross is a good player for CSU....but not even close to being able to take Tyler's head off....Ray Lewis he is not....
Ross is, pound for pound, the hardest hitting LB I have ever seen. His solo tackles aren't just solo tackles, they are "decleaters". Best part is, he comes back next year.

rokamortis
November 6th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Ross is, pound for pound, the hardest hitting LB I have ever seen.

Given your schedule, that is easy to believe. When you start playing a more difficult schedule you'll start to see better players.

gobucknell06
November 6th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Charleston Southern...wow. I didn't think they'd still be in the hunt, but they're doing it so far. If they beat Coastal, it would be the most amazing thing I've seen on the ticker in a while.

I love I-aa football! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

adrianb
November 6th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Drafts had a great game. What impressed the most was his toughness, he got hit pretty hard a few times during the game, but it did not seem to rattle him at all. He knows how to buy time and handles pressure well, he maybe a little too patient at times. I was also impressed how well the Bucs execute play action passes. It is not an easy offense to defend. It forces the db's to be really disciplined.

It's hard to say how good this team is. The next to road games will basically define CSU's season.

Dabnus Brickey
November 6th, 2006, 09:06 AM
If you guys really want to stick it to us, you should lose. We're hoping you're undefeated when you come to Conway.

justsaying
November 6th, 2006, 09:20 AM
I was at the game. Drafts is the MVP of their offense, CSU O line was not that empressive, causing draft to get put on the ground alot. Draft created big plays and thats what produced the win. Turnovers and big plays hurt gardner webb.

I give all the praise to CSU for the win, but I still do not think the better team won. I feel that Liberty and Coastal can get wins. But that is just my opinion.

CSU BUCS
November 6th, 2006, 09:54 AM
I was at the game. Drafts is the MVP of their offense, CSU O line was not that empressive, causing draft to get put on the ground alot. Draft created big plays and thats what produced the win. Turnovers and big plays hurt gardner webb.

I give all the praise to CSU for the win, but I still do not think the better team won. I feel that Liberty and Coastal can get wins. But that is just my opinion.

You’re right on about the O-line, they’re all freshman and sophomores. I would love to see Drafts behind a veteran line.

The better team won, I hate when people make excuses like that. GW only put one true scoring drive during the game. The other TD game off of a huge CSU mistake, but mistakes is part of the game. The team with the less mistakes wins.

GW only had 30 yards on the ground. CSU had 513 yards total O while GW had 312, CSU pretty much dominated the game with so many missed opportunities for scoring, two missed Field Goals for 6 points. But in the end their mistakes outweighed ours.

GW might have been able to play better if they hadn’t tried to start a fight during pre-game. I saw a total lack of class and respect there.

Dabnus Brickey
November 6th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Why didn't they try to start a fight? CSU must have shown them their schedule.

CSU BUCS
November 6th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Why didn't they try to start a fight? CSU must have shown them their schedule.

In the end they was on our schedule and we won, enough said.

MarkCCU
November 6th, 2006, 10:32 AM
I'll be rooting for Liberty to beat y'all(sorry, even though my tax dollars go to CSU and every other school in SC i gotta root against y'all) but the game of the SEASON, as well know, is at 1:30 November 18. Lets recap:

Coastal has defeated CSU 2 out of 3 games

Only 1 team has won at Brooks Stadium since 2004

Coastal/Charleston are creating a better rilvary with each game they play. At first I didn't think this would be a good one but after last season, jeesh.

CSU, are undefeated, but have had a pretty lax schedule. They've won thier games but won the some games(xcept GW) when it came down to the wire

Coastal, yes we lost to Elon, but we beat Wofford and Furman, two top tier programs

CSU defeated Citadel, but then again y'all defeated them when y'all sucked so...

The Bucs are going to travel up the coast and try to pillage Brooks Stadium but our Fighting Chickens will overcome your advance and put an end to your Perfect Season

Let me say again, I love this rivalry. Especially after last season, my lord, the alert is on and the Chants will draw first blood.

CSU BUCS
November 6th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Who knows? In 20 years this may be the top rivalry in the state.

Who was the last team to defeat Coastal at home?

MarkCCU
November 6th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Elon..i know i know

CSU BUCS
November 6th, 2006, 11:10 AM
CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Charleston Southern quarterback Collin Drafts and Buccaneer defensive back Jon Carmon have been named the Big South football Choice Hotels Offensive Player of the Week and New Balance Defensive Player of the Week, respectively, for games played during Week 10 (Nov. 4) of the 2006 season, it was announced today by the Conference office. In addition, Coastal Carolina kicker Josh Hoke was selected as Special Teams Player of the Week, while Liberty defensive back Tim Torrence garnered Freshman of the Week honors.

Drafts, a senior from Beaufort, S.C., amassed a Big South single-game record 452 total yards in leading Charleston Southern to a 28-14 win over Gardner-Webb. He was 31-of-41 passing (75.6 percent) for 409 yards with four touchdowns and zero interceptions, and set a League record for completions in a game and posted the second-highest yardage total. Drafts also rushed 19 times for a team-high 46 yards in leading the Bucs to their first-ever 2-0 start in Big South play, and surpassed 9,000 career passing yards in the win.

Carmon, a junior from Charlotte, N.C., recorded four tackles and two critical interceptions in Charleston Southern’s win over Gardner-Webb. Carmon ended a Gardner-Webb drive at 9:33 in the fourth quarter with an interception at the CSU 18-yard line, stopping a drive that started after the Buccaneers took a 28-14 lead. With under two minutes to play and with Gardner-Webb in the midst of a 12-play, 73-yard drive in just a 1:45 span, Carmon jumped a Devin Campbell pass and picked it off at the CSU 4-yard line, ending the threat and preserving the victory for the Bucs. It was his first career two-interception game.

Hoke, a senior from Statesville, N.C., tallied 12 points kicking in Coastal’s 66-6 win over Savannah State. He was 9-9 on PAT kicking, tying the Big South single-game record for PATs made, attempted and percentage (100.0). It was his second 10-point game of the season and ninth of his career. Hoke also became the first kicker in Big South history to make nine PATs in a game twice in his career.

Torrence, a freshman from Miramar, Fla., helped the LU defense post its Big South-record third shutout of the year with the Flames’ 21-0 blanking of Western Carolina with four tackles, one TFL and one pass break-up. He recorded his second-highest tackle total of the season, and for the third time this year, he finished a game with three solo stops. Torrence also recorded the first tackle for loss in his collegiate career (one yard) and added his third pass break-up of the campaign, which forced Western Carolina to punt.

Dabnus Brickey
November 6th, 2006, 11:31 AM
You guys haven't seen anything like Jerome Simpson.

CSU BUCS
November 6th, 2006, 11:34 AM
I saw him last year.

and this is when you say yea yea yea that was last year.

CSUBUCDAD
November 6th, 2006, 11:36 AM
I'll be rooting for Liberty to beat y'all(sorry, even though my tax dollars go to CSU .

CSU is a private university Catfish. Not one dime of your tax dollars go to pay their bills.

CSU BUCS
November 6th, 2006, 11:46 AM
CSU is a private university Catfish. Not one dime of your tax dollars go to pay their bills.

Not entirely, Every resident of South Carolina who attends a private school in SC receives a SC tuition grant. So CSU does receive state money. I’m sure there are others as well.

justsaying
November 6th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Start a fight???

you call the whole CSU football team walking thru GWU running backs pregame drills and talking trash while GWU rest of the team was in the locker room starting a fight on GWU'S end. I can make all the excusses I want about the game, but you know your team was in the wrong on that issue..

justsaying
November 6th, 2006, 11:58 AM
[QUOTE=CSU BUCSGW might have been able to play better if they hadn’t tried to start a fight during pre-game. I saw a total lack of class and respect there.[/QUOTE]
Start a fight???

you call the whole CSU football team walking thru GWU running backs pregame drills and talking trash while GWU rest of the team was in the locker room starting a fight on GWU'S end. I can make all the excusses I want about the game, but you know your team was in the wrong on that issue.. That was a lack of class on CSU end!!!!!

Dabnus Brickey
November 6th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Start a fight???

you call the whole CSU football team walking thru GWU running backs pregame drills and talking trash while GWU rest of the team was in the locker room starting a fight on GWU'S end. I can make all the excusses I want about the game, but you know your team was in the wrong on that issue.. That was a lack of class on CSU end!!!!!
Ooooooooo:nono:

CSU BUCS
November 6th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Our team went to the corner of the end zone to line up and run down the sideline like they do for every game without incident, Exception was this time about one dozen G-webb players met them their and started jaw jacking. That's ok though CSU kept their poise and prevented an incident from occurring then proceeded to go out and let their playing do the talking on the field while leaving with a win.

That's all I have to say about it.

BigApp
November 6th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Who knows? In 20 years this may be the top rivalry in the state.

The folks in Columbia and Clemson might disagree with you.

Ol Blue
November 6th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Start a fight???

If they were wrong their coach will take care of it....he is pretty sharp on the personal conduct end....puts Xian conduct pretty high on the list of expectations (right below winning, btw.:smiley_wi )

Its probably a good idea to keep teams seperated on the field....couldn't be that GWU team members were in a "inconvenient" spot, would it?

Dabnus Brickey
November 6th, 2006, 12:40 PM
The folks in Columbia and Clemson might disagree with you.
Good call, App

MarkCCU
November 6th, 2006, 12:43 PM

Actually, my tax as in sales tax does when i purchase items there as well as the students there with State grants and scholarships. And i've given money to them before when one of my best friends ran track for them. It was a fundraiser :D

Dabnus Brickey
November 6th, 2006, 12:45 PM
I paid them money for the horses**t of a game in Charleston last year.

MarkCCU
November 6th, 2006, 12:47 PM

Are you forgetting that it was Jerome Simpson that cost us the game last year. Jerome is exceptionally better than last year and i'm sure he's looking to redeem himself.

MarkCCU
November 6th, 2006, 12:48 PM
[quote=CSU BUCS]Who knows? In 20 years this may be the top rivalry in the state.

quote]

I don't think so...

justsaying
November 6th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Its probably a good idea to keep teams seperated on the field....couldn't be that GWU team members were in a "inconvenient" spot, would it?

We all have seen how bad the facilities at CSU are. The home and visiting lockeroom are side by side in one building, At halftime the two teams were basically walking side by side to the stadium where there is only one entrance for both teams which is at the endzone. so either way one teams has to pass another to get to the other side of the field for pregame.

CSU BUCS
November 6th, 2006, 12:54 PM
[quote=CSU BUCS]Who knows? In 20 years this may be the top rivalry in the state.

quote]

I don't think so...

One can Dream? ha:nod:

Ol Blue
November 6th, 2006, 01:21 PM
We all have seen how bad the facilities at CSU are. The home and visiting lockeroom are side by side in one building, At halftime the two teams were basically walking side by side to the stadium where there is only one entrance for both teams which is at the endzone. so either way one teams has to pass another to get to the other side of the field for pregame.

Hopefully we'll have a new fieldhouse soon.

CSU BUCS
November 6th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Dr. Hunter, Hank Small and the rest of the high-ups are making a huge commitment to football, it just takes time. Like the old saying, “Rome wasn’t built over night”

drjman
November 6th, 2006, 02:18 PM
With a smaller alum base and less overall interest in a football program, it's been a long time coming for football here. Plus it is fairly expensive to attend and I would guess it is a number of years before alumni are able to give back a substantial amount of money.

There is some state money, but the overwhelming bulk of the money for things like the football program comes from fund-raising, donations, and "money games"--which is why CSU is looking to get a major I-A game in the near future. I hear we're close if we haven't already got it.

I understand Coastal had been earmarking money for the football program for quite a long time. I'm sure someone will flame, I mean correct me if I'm wrong. Didn't Hooters contribute some money (serious question)?

drjman
November 6th, 2006, 02:19 PM

How about the "Ol Blue" Fieldhouse? Hint Hint.

Ol Blue
November 6th, 2006, 02:32 PM
:twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents:

About all I can afford. Tuition gets the rest of it.xlolx

MarkCCU
November 6th, 2006, 02:40 PM
With a smaller alum base and less overall interest in a football program, it's been a long time coming for football here. Plus it is fairly expensive to attend and I would guess it is a number of years before alumni are able to give back a substantial amount of money.

There is some state money, but the overwhelming bulk of the money for things like the football program comes from fund-raising, donations, and "money games"--which is why CSU is looking to get a major I-A game in the near future. I hear we're close if we haven't already got it.

I understand Coastal had been earmarking money for the football program for quite a long time. I'm sure someone will flame, I mean correct me if I'm wrong. Didn't Hooters contribute some money (serious question)?

The largest contributer to our stadium was from Bob Brooks(RIP) the genius behind Hooters and Naturally Fresh

rokamortis
November 6th, 2006, 02:42 PM

I don't know the specifics of how Coastal funded football, but I know it was in the works for a while. Bob Brooks, former chairman of Hooters, did make a sizable contribution to help build the stadium.

CSU BUCS
November 6th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Come on Ol Blue, cut a check. :hurray:
I love the institution and everything it stands for and plan on giving back to it as soon as I financially can. That may be a while though. There must be someone who feels the same as I who has money. All we need is one big donor.

I’m starting a personal campaign of my own to try and raise money. I’m sure there’s people who aren’t directly related to CSU who would like to help a Christian institution succeed.

drjman
November 6th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Floyd Whitfield of West Ashley is responsible for the Press Box and and Stadium complex. He is one such individual you describe--a very gracious and generous man.

CSU BUCS
November 6th, 2006, 04:11 PM
The home side isn't bad at all, it's actually kindof nice. A field house would do so many great things for the place. And if we could clean up the away side some, maybe something like Coastal or PC has for away stands. It doesn't have to be much. Also get rid of that old ten building that track uses, that thing just look bad sitting there.

I think there's a lot we could do to make the place more ascetically appealing without having to spend a lot of money. The ugly ten building is a prime example.

CCU97
November 6th, 2006, 07:05 PM
So you have a building named ten near the stadium? I thought they all had actual names? As for Brooks...he was the founder of Hooters but where he made his money was by actually coming up with the idea for individual creamer packs. It took many more people than Mr. Brooks although his was the largest donation. CSU would need many many donors to send money in order to improve the stadium that they currently play. Best recommendation would be to start over and build one that isn't like a HS stadium. It has served the purpose that your school needed but if you start having a winning tradition you will pack the stands and I am not sure you could keep that up in its current shape.

WinthropEagleFan
November 6th, 2006, 08:17 PM

Jerome Simpson is very good, and he makes alot of highlight reel type catches (at least from what I've seen on TV), but CSU has a heck of a receiver in Maurice Price. Not quite as flashy as Simpson, but he always seems to find a way to get open and he catches everything that is around him.

CSU BUCS
November 6th, 2006, 08:22 PM
I believe Price hold most Big South receiving records as a Jr.

Here’s his stats
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2006&org=48&player=1

drjman
November 7th, 2006, 07:17 AM
The scoreboard took priority over the fieldhouse, I think--but next up is the fieldhouse and facility.

The stadium has not yet been at capacity except maybe the Coastal game last year. As soon as people are SRO, filling the visitor's stands, ringing the fence, etc. I think the stadium will be due for an upgrade.

Agreed on that shed. It messes up my pictures. The other thing that bugs the crap out of me is the yellow Ryder equipment van always parked between the fieldhouse and stadium. I can't get a decent shot of the cheerleaders (looking into the sun on one side, Ryder van in bg on the other).

Price is the real deal. The kid can catch. Taking nothing away from Simpson, of course, but it's obvious to me that Price is thoroughbred. There's a HS kid here at Summerville named AJ Green who is like these guys, catches everything in his parameter then runs roughshod over defenses like they were swiss cheese. Comitted to Georgia as a sophomore I think, this year.

drjman
November 7th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Here's Price catching the game-winner against Liberty last year--he trapped it on the shoulder pad and helmet of the defender then hauled it in. Pretty much the same play in OT vs. Citadel. OOPs. Maybe I shouldn't give others a chance to scout it!

<<Annoying Ryder van in background right corner which I could photoshop out, but it's too aggravating to deal with>>

http://homepage.mac.com/drjman/.Pictures/FUCITADEL/_MG_4272.jpg

CSU BUCS
November 7th, 2006, 07:32 AM
How hard would it be to get that tin shed moved and get a policy for them to park the Ryder truck on the other side of the gym?

Good shot.
Are you going to Liberty this week?

CSU BUCS
November 7th, 2006, 07:36 AM
[QUOTE=drjman]
The stadium has not yet been at capacity except maybe the Coastal game last year. As soon as people are SRO, filling the visitor's stands, ringing the fence, etc. I think the stadium will be due for an upgrade.

/QUOTE]
I’m kind of a believer of “IF you Build it they will come”
Lights we need lights. That would really help attendance.

drjman
November 7th, 2006, 07:52 AM
We need lights but I think the single biggest thing that will attract fans is winning and more winning.

Course if we moved the shed, we might not have anything we could take anyone behind --- (i.e. for a whuppin'). Ok bad joke.

The problem with Saturdays and Sat. Nights is competing activities--like Clemson, Carolina, and oh yeah the Redneck Fair. The weather is so nice all the time, people just choose to do different stuff.

I'm going to ask Coach Small about moving that shed and van--and I wonder if they could take down the netting for the ???track something or other. It also junks up the background of my picture.

Left side of picture....more prominent in others.

http://homepage.mac.com/drjman/.Pictures/FUCITADEL/IMG_1042.jpg

drjman
November 7th, 2006, 07:53 AM
I like that shot cause it's Coach Kelly leading the post-game prayer. Sometimes I think he's about to pop a gasket. He gets really intense.

BTW can't make it all the way to L'burg this weekend. But I'm getting my ducks in a row for the Coastal game. Looking forward to shooting under the lights.

gobucs
November 7th, 2006, 07:56 AM
I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure that Penske is a major sponser of the Bucs. For example, I think that is who they use to get all of their equipment to away games. Pretty sure Penske does this at no charge. I think that having the truck parked there is one of their forms of advertisement as a trade-off. So everyone sees it when they walk into the stadium....Furman does the same thing, or at least they used to. Regardless, it comes back to some people are willing to contribute and some are willing to talk about it. If Penske is doing this, we probably need to get off their backs and instead start renting trucks from them as a thank you for helping the bucs try to have a big time D-IAA program. Before Penske, I'm pretty sure that each player carried his own equipment on the bus. Go Bucs

CSU BUCS
November 7th, 2006, 07:57 AM
I just think we could get more community support if we played some games at night. We are in a huge market and people are always looking for something to do at night.

The 100 degrease 1:30 kickoffs in September are tough.

It’s hot in those stands man.

The net looks ghetto too. Hopefully small will do something about it.
Little things like that can add up to make a big difference.

CSU BUCS
November 7th, 2006, 07:59 AM
I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure that Penske is a major sponser of the Bucs. For example, I think that is who they use to get all of their equipment to away games. Pretty sure Penske does this at no charge. I think that having the truck parked there is one of their forms of advertisement as a trade-off. So everyone sees it when they walk into the stadium....Furman does the same thing, or at least they used to. Regardless, it comes back to some people are willing to contribute and some are willing to talk about it. If Penske is doing this, we probably need to get off their backs and instead start renting trucks from them as a thank you for helping the bucs try to have a big time D-IAA program. Before Penske, I'm pretty sure that each player carried his own equipment on the bus. Go Bucs

I believe it’s the visiting teams truck that’s always out there. We have no need for a truck for home games.

CSU BUCS
November 7th, 2006, 08:00 AM
BTW, welcome to the board gobucs.

rokamortis
November 7th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Looking forward to shooting under the lights.

Did the game time change? It is listed at 1:30 pm.

drjman
November 7th, 2006, 08:40 AM
I just assumed the game was at night. Guess not. Not sure why I thought that?

I'll rent exclusively from whomever supports the Bucs. It's just not aesthetically pleasing to my artistic side--small though it may be.

Maybe they could donate a truck, and paint it like Furman's Death Dealer-mobile they used to have? Then it could be part of the spectacle.

chantman
November 7th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Good luck at Liberty. Many of us are looking forward to a 10-0, Top 20 team coming to Conway.

drjman
November 7th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I doubt we'll make it to #20.

Honestly, if CSU has any hope of playoffs -- who wouldn't-- we need Coastal to smatter GW AND for a bunch of upsets ahead of you in the polls.

Then we MIGHT get ourselves into the discussion IF we can somehow manage to beat you.

That's a lot of ifs, ands, and maybes before we can even get consideration. Still it is a measure of success that CSU's made the top 25 for the first time ever.

Yes, it's the weakest of schedules, but it's probably similar to our sked two years ago when we went 1-11, and last year for that matter where we went 7-4. OK Ok, no NAIA in there, but we lost some games we probably should have won back then, and last year we won one we maybe should've lost.

This year, we've eeked out a couple and won the ones we should have, barely or not. It will be a good chance to see how this team stacks up against Coastal. Of course, I hope we win, but a lot of question marks will be answered (i.e. is this squad for real?). I want to see how well CSU can measure up to what has clearly become the premier program in the conference.

drjman
November 7th, 2006, 12:16 PM
sorry I meant three years ago, we were 1-11 and actually we had JMU and Univ. of South Florida on the schedule then--the only win was WV State-- I think a DII opponent, but we had 5 DIIs if I counted correctly.

drjman
November 7th, 2006, 04:48 PM
FYI just posted a couple game shots on the "Post your 11/4 shots..." thread.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16138&page=3

Sly Fox
November 7th, 2006, 05:28 PM
I love your work, drjman. Are you making the roadie up to Lynchburg?

drjman
November 7th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Thanks!

Sorry I can't make it to L'burg--a little too far. As I recall, it's a nice setting and a pretty big stadium? Last time I was there, Sam Rutigliano was coaching. I actually met Dr. Falwell in the Press box and he was very gracious, introduced me to everyone around.

It was probably around 1994 or so?

Nice looking kids there.