PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Autobid Race, 2 weeks left!

LeopardFan04
November 4th, 2006, 03:18 PM
PL Games are done for this week, so I'll put this up early...

Current Standings:

Lehigh..............4-0, 5-4.....................vs. Fordham, @ Lafayette
Holy Cross.........4-1, 7-3.....................@ Colgate, Idle
Lafayette..........3-1, 4-5.....................vs. Georgetown, vs. Lehigh
Colgate.............2-2, 3-6.....................vs. Holy Cross, @ Bucknell

Lehigh still has the inside track, but Holy Cross is right behind. Holy Cross needs help though, because Lehigh holds the tiebreaker. Lafayette still needs to win out and hope for a Colgate victory over HC next week. There is still the possibility that Colgate has a shot, but that will require lots of results in their favor, and a 3 way tie...that's when things get weird...xidiotx

Still a strong possibility LU/HC/LC could finish tied at 5-1...:rotateh:

Bucknell, Fordham, and Georgetown are eliminated...

ngineer
November 4th, 2006, 04:05 PM

Current Standings:

Lehigh still has the inside track, but Holy Cross is right behind. Holy Cross needs help though, because Lehigh holds the tiebreaker. Lafayette still needs to win out and hope for a Colgate victory over HC next week. There is still the possibility that Colgate has a shot, but that will require lots of results in their favor, and a 3 way tie...that's when things get weird...xidiotx

That scenario is obviously based on HC winning next week at Colgate and Lafayette winning out. Then the infamous tie breaker goes down to the remaining AD's voting...I hope it doesn't come down to that. Regardless of decision, bad tastes will be left in various mouths..The 142nd appears to be another barn burner...

LeopardFan04
November 4th, 2006, 04:13 PM
That scenario is obviously based on HC winning next week at Colgate and Lafayette winning out. Then the infamous tie breaker goes down to the remaining AD's voting...I hope it doesn't come down to that. Regardless of decision, bad tastes will be left in various mouths..The 142nd appears to be another barn burner...

Yup, you are correct on all accounts...hopefully Colgate will win next week...and that'll leave 142 as the sole decider of the playoffs (assuming LC/LU take care of business...)

cosmo here
November 4th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Yup, you are correct on all accounts...hopefully Colgate will win next week...and that'll leave 142 as the sole decider of the playoffs (assuming LC/LU take care of business...)

xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

Hope you have your tickets !!! :nod:

ngineer
November 4th, 2006, 09:28 PM
My tickets arrived last week. This will be my 36th Game...Since 1970 have missed only 1976, but even then attended the closed circuit gathering in Michigan.:cool:

Tod
November 4th, 2006, 10:50 PM

Current Standings:

Correct me if I'm wrong, LF04, but practically everybody has been saying that the PL is a one bid league, and it seems to me that if HC beats Colgate, but doesn't win the league, then the PL could have two teams in the playoffs, as an 8-3 HC, with a respectable OOC schedule, could easily get in.

cosmo here
November 4th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, LF04, but practically everybody has been saying that the PL is a one bid league, and it seems to me that if HC beats Colgate, but doesn't win the league, then the PL could have two teams in the playoffs, as an 8-3 HC, with a respectable OOC schedule, could easily get in.

non-league wins are Marist (27-0), Brown (35-30) and at Dartmouth (24-21 OT), not necessarily world-beaters

non-league losses are Northeastern (24-14) and at Harvard (31-14)

so they pretty much beat who they should have and lost who they should have . . and if I'm not mistaken, they wouldn't have a win over a team with a winning record for the season since all of the PL teams they beat would be under .500 for the year.

LeopardFan04
November 4th, 2006, 11:36 PM

It's a possibility...but I don't think it'll happen, I think there will be teams also with 8-3 records that will have better resumes...

Lehigh Football Nation
November 4th, 2006, 11:52 PM
I think an 8-3 Holy Cross team gets more of a chance than you might think, especially with this weekend's losses.

* Towson and UNH losing this weekend. The A-10 is at worst a 1 at-large bid, best a 2 at-large bid league.

* Southern Illinois and Western Kentucky losing this weekend. The Gateway is at worst a 1 at-large bid, best a 2 at-large bid league too.

* Cal Poly lost. If they lose to North Dakota State, they're out.

If the A-10 only gets 1 at-large bid especially, Monmouth and Holy Cross could very very easily be 15 and 16. :twocents:

umassfan
November 5th, 2006, 12:01 AM
I think an 8-3 Holy Cross team gets more of a chance than you might think, especially with this weekend's losses.

* Towson and UNH losing this weekend. The A-10 is at worst a 1 at-large bid, best a 2 at-large bid league.

* Southern Illinois and Western Kentucky losing this weekend. The Gateway is at worst a 1 at-large bid, best a 2 at-large bid league too.

If the A-10 only gets 1 at-large bid especially, Monmouth and Holy Cross could very very easily be 15 and 16. :twocents:
Ill take Lehigh or Holy Cross in Amherst for week 1. Holy Cross would be a good way to kick off our series that we start with them next season.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 5th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Lehigh needs to be more effective at putting 7 up when they get in the red zone. They settle too often for FG's which is keeping their opponents in the game i.e today and against Princeton in the loss. Lehigh-Lafayette is gonna be a war.

LeopardFan04
November 5th, 2006, 12:06 AM

Good points, I hadn't considered the Towson and UNH losses. Amazing to think that the A-10 could wind up with only 2 teams in, when there was legitimate talk of 4 not too long ago...perhaps things are falling into place...

GGASU
November 5th, 2006, 12:07 AM
Wow..... This non-scholly conference may have two team playing for a bid at 5-5 and 6-4. And people are bitching about San Diego at 11-0....LOL
I don't think anyone in the Patriot league would be within 10 points of SD this year, and they are wanting another bid......xlolx xlolx xidiotx

cosmo here
November 5th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Wow..... This non-scholly conference may have two team playing for a bid at 5-5 and 6-4. And people are bitching about San Diego at 11-0....LOL
I don't think anyone in the Patriot league would be within 10 points of SD this year, and they are wanting another bid......xlolx xlolx xidiotx

which is funny, because you were within seven points of us at halftime in the first round of the playoffs last year xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 5th, 2006, 12:17 AM

We may get it. And I think 8-3 Holy Cross is more deserving than 10-0 USD.

LeopardFan04
November 5th, 2006, 12:19 AM
We may get it. And I think 8-3 Holy Cross is more deserving than 10-0 USD.

Very true...An 8-3 Holy Cross and a 7-4 Lehigh with the auto (I shudder at the thought) would represent the league well...

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 5th, 2006, 12:20 AM
which is funny, because you were within seven points of us at halftime in the first round of the playoffs last year xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

Exactly...the Patriot League has proved enough to warrant an auto-bid. Unfortunately whoever the PL rep is will most likely be sent to Umass or JMU and get the crapped kicked out of them. HOWEVER, i feel confident that Lehigh would have a fair chance against say UT-Martin, Furman, or the Southland Champ. JMU, Umass, App State and Montana will all wipe the floor with their first round opponents. Lehigh has played good teams, Princeton 7-1, Harvard 7-1, Yale 7-1 and even 'Nova might rebound to 6-5 in the A-10 after todays win over Richmond. Lafayette has also played the good Ivy's, and they are good.

Tod
November 5th, 2006, 12:21 AM

I'm the one that brought it up, and it's a compelling argument, as respondents have proven.

Tod
November 5th, 2006, 12:25 AM

This is a part of the reasoning that I should have included. There has been talk for the last week or even two about a team from a weaker conference or a 7-4 team (or even multiple 7-4 teams) getting in.

There are a lot of good teams around the .500 area that are out of the playoff picture, but knocking out playoff teams. Not to mention potential playoff teams knocking each other out, and teams knocking themselves out with multiple I-A losses.

An 8-3 Holy Cross team has a damn good chance of getting in, even if they're not the League champion.

:twocents:

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 5th, 2006, 12:28 AM
This is a part of the reasoning that I should have included. There has been talk for the last week or even two about a team from a weaker conference or a 7-4 team (or even multiple 7-4 teams) getting in.

There are a lot of good teams around the .500 area that are out of the playoff picture, but knocking out playoff teams. Not to mention potential playoff teams knocking each other out, and teams knocking themselves out with multiple I-A losses.

An 8-3 Holy Cross team has a damn good chance of getting in, even if they're not the League champion.

:twocents:

The thing that might really hurt HC is they don't play the last weekend to make a final impression should losses to some of the contenders in the GWFC or the A-10 falter. There's going to be a lot of scratchen' and clawin' the final weekend.

GGASU
November 5th, 2006, 12:28 AM

I know, I was at the game.

The only game SD lost last year was to Princeton on the road by 3. You guys also lost to Princeton, but played them not 3000 miles away, but at home. It looks like SD may have been as good or better than Layfayette was last year.

This year they would just plain embarrass you.

cosmo here
November 5th, 2006, 12:31 AM

The only game SD lost last year was to Princeton on the road by 3. You guys also lost to Princeton, but played them not 3000 miles away, but at home. It looks like SD may have been as good or better than Layfayette was last year.

until San Diego plays a full schedule of Lafayette's, Lehigh's, Yale's and Princeton's, you can't tell how good they are . . the same way you can't say how competitive Lafayette would be in the SoCon until they play a schedule of teams at that level.

and this isn't a San Diego thread, there are plenty of those. it's a Patriot League thread.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 5th, 2006, 12:32 AM

How do you know that? A lot of the Ivy-PL games are like conference games, they play eachother every year. USD is obviously a pretty good football game by beating Yale the way did but that's all they got. Good teams get smacked in the head by other good teams from time to time but there's more than 1 game in a season for level things out. USD needs to do it week in and week out. I would put money on it USD would have atleast 3 losses playing Lehigh's schedule, with Lehigh included. They wouldn't escape Villanova, Harvard, Yale, and Princeton unscathed.

Tod
November 5th, 2006, 12:36 AM
The thing that might really hurt HC is they don't play the last weekend to make a final impression should losses to some of the contenders in the GWFC or the A-10 falter. There's going to be a lot of scratchen' and clawin' the final weekend.

Cal Poly is the only contender in the GWFC, and they could potentially be knocked out by NDSU next Saturday.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 5th, 2006, 12:37 AM
Cal Poly is the only contender in the GWFC, and they could potentially be knocked out by NDSU next Saturday.

I was using GWFC for Gateway football conference.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 5th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Where are the HC posters? They were here for last weekends Lehigh-HC game but have vanished since. There is still good reason to be talken football in Worcester in November, it's not hoops season yet.