PDA

View Full Version : Albany vs. RMU Game Thread

Dane96
November 4th, 2006, 01:43 PM
About 4 minutes gone by in Moon Township....Albany 16- RMU 0

Defense for Albany has been dominating (best in the league at 12.0 ppg...slightly better than RMU).

Albany scored on 3 FG's and an INT return.

Albany has quietly been getting back on track....sad that two of the three games should have been won...it is what it is.

RMU is going to be a very good team over the next two years...lots of young guys doing well!!!

Dane96
November 4th, 2006, 01:55 PM
End of 3rd, Albany 16- RMU 0. Albany gaining yards, but 3rd down conversions are weak.

RMU cant move the football...3 interceptions.

Dane96
November 4th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Albany with the fourth INT of the game. Defense is absolutely dominating.

Dane96
November 4th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Albany lays a hit on receiver...according to announcers it was clean...but it fired up both teams...lots of jawing.

Fumble by Albany....RMU recovers at the UA 49.

ONLY THE SECOND TIME ALL GAME RMU got over the 50.

Dane96
November 4th, 2006, 02:23 PM
RMU passes for a TD...first touchdown given up in three weeks by the Danes.

RMU going for two....no good.

Albany 16- RMU 6, 2:19 left.

Dane96
November 4th, 2006, 02:29 PM
1:33, RMU uses final timeout....Albany punting.

Dane96
November 4th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Albany wins...16-6...given up 6 points over the past three weeks.

Sets up a monster week for the NEC next week. Albany v. Monmouth, CCSU v. SBU. SBU wins...they win the NEC. SBC loses, the winner of Mon/Albany is the champ.

Big day at the UA campus....1pm vs. Monmouth...which is a huge rivalry without what it is at stake (best defenses over the last few years in the NEC).

At 7pm, the Defending America East Champ Danes take on Top 25, and Two Time Defending Patriot League Champs, Bucknell at the newly named (for $2.7mm) SEFCU Arena.

So far...ticket sales are at 3800 for the 4600 seat Arena. Will most likely sell-out and overflow at 5000+.

What a great day for the campus!!!

aceinthehole
November 4th, 2006, 02:46 PM
About 4 minutes gone by in Moon Township....Albany 16- RMU 0

Defense for Albany has been dominating (best in the league at 12.0 ppg...slightly better than RMU).

Albany scored on 3 FG's and an INT return.

Albany has quietly been getting back on track....sad that two of the three games should have been won...it is what it is.

RMU is going to be a very good team over the next two years...lots of young guys doing well!!!

Congrats on the win! That UA defense is sick. Not only do they shut opponents down, the score points!!! How many games has your D scored more touchdowns than your Offense?

UA is a very good team, but that offense still needs work. Good luck next week.

Dane96
November 4th, 2006, 02:48 PM
The offense....putrid this year. We have a crap load of young skill players who are being red-shirted (though we lost two...the rape incident).

The defense has outscored the offense (via touchdowns) at least twice.

Scary thing....we return all the linebackers...

rmutv
November 4th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Albany lays a hit on receiver...according to announcers it was clean...but it fired up both teams...lots of jawing.

It wasn't clean by any stretch of the imagination.

Neugebeur led with the helmet, hit with the helmet, and hit Hines in the helmet. I had our replay operator re-air the clip several times, we went through it almost frame by frame to see where he hit, and it was beyond clear to me in the booth and to anyone who saw the replay that it was helmet to helmet.

I'm going to work on getting the clip posted as soon as possible, but it probably won't be until Monday or Tuesday.

GOTOREROS
November 4th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Does each NEC team have FieldTurf? Hopefully.....for our sake....

rmutv
November 4th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Does each NEC team have FieldTurf? Hopefully.....for our sake....

No, there's all kinds of turf in the NEC. RMU has the newest turf though, but you won't be coming to Moon Township since the Colonials laid an egg today against Albany.

GOTOREROS
November 4th, 2006, 03:32 PM
No, there's all kinds of turf in the NEC. RMU has the newest turf though, but you won't be coming to Moon Township since the Colonials laid an egg today against Albany.

USD has a practice synthetic field, and grass game field. We have "SprintTurf" which is the new rubber infill surface similar to FieldTurf. Are there NEC schools with the "old" synthetic surface? I mean "AstroTurf" from the 1970's......

Dane96
November 4th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Pray you dont play UA....we have a gorgeous grass pitch (for the NY GIANTS)...but it gets frozen and muddy by Dec......hard like a rock...with no traction because of the mud.

Dane96
November 4th, 2006, 03:54 PM
It wasn't clean by any stretch of the imagination.

Neugebeur led with the helmet, hit with the helmet, and hit Hines in the helmet. I had our replay operator re-air the clip several times, we went through it almost frame by frame to see where he hit, and it was beyond clear to me in the booth and to anyone who saw the replay that it was helmet to helmet.

I'm going to work on getting the clip posted as soon as possible, but it probably won't be until Monday or Tuesday.

Yep...and I guess all the refs disagreed!

rmutv
November 4th, 2006, 04:11 PM
The refs missed quite a bit today. RMU got away with some pass interference downfield and jumped on offense twice late in the game but didn't get called. Albany was caught with a blatant hold by our replays that wasn't called.

The refs were far from accurate today. Neither the refs nor the hit matter in the game though, because Albany destroyed RMU, but still.

BobbyMo
November 4th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Yep...and I guess all the refs disagreed!

The hit was helmet to helmet, but i do not think he was trying to hurt Mario. The problem i had was after he hit him was an Albany player standing over Mario while he laid motionless. It was taunting, how it was not called i have no clue.

It was a shame because Albany was a class act other than that. Just a fiesty game with the usual trash talking. But that was totally uncalled for. I think that is the main reason that RMU players started getting so upset.

Congrats to Albany though on the win. They will need to get their O going to beat Monmouth however.

I do not think either team had total yards over 100.

Dane96
November 4th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Exactly BobbyMo. RMUTV...you need to learn the rules. Spearing or helmet to helment, has to be an intentional leading of the helmet. The play, according to the ref explanation, had Neugs leading with his helment (as many do) but Mario dropping his head. Your "cry" on Don Hansen is unwarranted...especially when you proclaim not to even know the rule.

I agree BobbyMo, the player standing over Mario should have been penalized...Ford doesnt stand for that ****...and I bet you someone will pay the price in practice.

Albany 97 yards...RMU 91....pathetic by both.

Tod
November 4th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Good win for Albany! Congrats! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BobbyMo
November 4th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Dane,
Andre Coleman (SP?) #58 is a hell of a DE. It seemed as though he was untouched on half the plays. Do you know if he has had any interest from any pro leagues? Or did he just have a monster game against us?

rmutv
November 4th, 2006, 04:37 PM
That's my point, Dane. Neugeubeur led with the helmet. It's obvious on the replay.

Look, I'll stay quiet from here on out until I can post the evidence, ok? I don't want to this to sound like I'm just whining.

I'm confident that when you see what I saw, you'll agree.

rmutv
November 4th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Dane,
Andre Coleman (SP?) #58 is a hell of a DE. It seemed as though he was untouched on half the plays. Do you know if he has had any interest from any pro leagues? Or did he just have a monster game against us?

Yeah, if you could add more perspective on Coleman, Dane, that'd be awesome.

He tossed Joe Setticase around like a ragdoll.

Word in the press box was that the Falcons and Jets had scouts in attendance for Coleman. I'm sure Dane could add a lot more to how much interest there is in what appears to be an absolute stud of a defensive lineman.

BobbyMo
November 4th, 2006, 04:46 PM
That's my point, Dane. Neugeubeur led with the helmet. It's obvious on the replay.

Look, I'll stay quiet from here on out until I can post the evidence, ok? I don't want to this to sound like I'm just whining.

I'm confident that when you see what I saw, you'll agree.

TV,
I havent seen any replays, but it was helmet to helmet for sure. I just am not sure he intended to do it. Maybe he did, and I look forward to the to see the replay.

As far as the refs go, i thought they were awful. Though i think they were awful for both sides. The worst crew by far all year.

As you said in an eariler post, it did really matter though, RMU can't win when they turn the ball over as much as they did. As you know, it has cost us a couple of games already.

Hopefully they can do better with the turnovers next week and more importantly next year.

On a different note even if Albany beats Monmouth, and Stony Brook wins, Stony Brook goes to the GIC correct?

BobbyMo
November 4th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Yeah, if you could add more perspective on Coleman, Dane, that'd be awesome.

He tossed Joe Setticase around like a ragdoll.

Word in the press box was that the Falcons and Jets had scouts in attendance for Coleman. I'm sure Dane could add a lot more to how much interest there is in what appears to be an absolute stud of a defensive lineman.

TV,
I know there was a Falcons scout there.:nod: Did not know who he was their for though.:confused:

After seeing him though, I kind of thought that maybe the reason.

Dane96
November 4th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Ok...wow...lots of info.

First, RMUTV. Again, you can lead with your head as long as you are not going helmet to helmet, e.g. "Put your hat into his numbers."

The ruling on the field was Mario dropped his head...and Neug's hit was incidental...as in he didnt intend to spear or go helmet to helmet. Whether they were right or wrong...I dont know.

What I do know...Neugs is not a dirty player (and I am sure we have some players who would otherwise).

COLEMAN: The kid is a monster. 13 NFL scouts were watching him a few weeks back. He has size 6'4, 290, speed, and strength for a prototypical NFL DE. Word is...he will get drafted....if not, FA contract guaranteed. He is the real deal.

The scouts are also looking at two other UA players, including Rasheed Barksdale. AT 6'2, 210 lbs, the kid is a monster at CB. He is lightening fast and unreal on special teams.

What is really intriguing: HE HASNT PLAYED IN FOUR YEARS. He was a stud on our baseball team (may get drafted) and finally (w/o his dad knowing...finding out the day he made the team) came out for football this year. He was so good...he won the starting job and shocked Ford, who planned to utilize him a few series a game.

The word is, he is a solid prospect....at least practice squad/NFL EUROPE type.

Jacob Hobbs, our 6'4 325 manchild, is the third player. The Giants, supposedly, like the kid. With all big men at the I-AA level (especailly ours) footwork tends to be the issue. Let's see.....

rmutv
November 4th, 2006, 05:02 PM
TV,
I havent seen any replays, but it was helmet to helmet for sure. I just am not sure he intended to do it. Maybe he did, and I look forward to the to see the replay.

As far as the refs go, i thought they were awful. Though i think they were awful for both sides. The worst crew by far all year.

As you said in an eariler post, it did really matter though, RMU can't win when they turn the ball over as much as they did. As you know, it has cost us a couple of games already.

Hopefully they can do better with the turnovers next week and more importantly next year.

On a different note even if Albany beats Monmouth, and Stony Brook wins, Stony Brook goes to the GIC correct?

In reverse order... :rotateh:
-Stony Brook wins, they go to the Classic because of head-to-head over Monmouth and Albany.
-RMU should beat Sacred Heart next week, even with a few mistakes. The Pioneers are in a down period football wise.
-I think Walton needs to seriously look at his OLINE and QB situations for next year. That and filling in with the departure of three seniors along the D-LINE will be the biggest issues for RMU next year.
-The running joke in the pressbox was that Vance, the referee today, was speaking slow enough so that Walton and Ford would both be retired by the end of the game so they'd stop barking at him! :eek:

-One last thing about the hit...I am by no means saying that Neugebeur went out to actually intentionally hurt Mario Hines. I'm saying that his technique in making the tackle was poor in leading with his helmet and that players should be reprimanded for those situations.

rmutv
November 4th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Regarding Barksdale...he looked intriguing, that's for sure. Unfortunately, he was the one taunting after the big hit, so my impression of him was tainted a bit from that play.

As I think back though, he basically blanketed one side of the field all day long. Granted, Cwalinski couldn't hit the broadside of a barn today, but I think some of that was Barksdale's doing.

Albany's got a tough, grinding team that just out-manned and out-muscled a pretty good RMU squad. Hats off to the Danes...now beat Monmouth!

Dane96
November 4th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Sad to hear it was Barksdale...but he is a pretty humble (and smart kid). No excuses...emotion cant be allowed to take over. It was a tough, tough game.

Barksdale shut down every side of the field he has played this year. Our loss to Cornell...lots of passes to his side. He was out, along with our other CB, Chrobak, with a severly sprained (high) ankle. That loss....really hurt us.

BobbyMo
November 4th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Dane,
Thanks for the info, i am with TV on Barksdale. Good player, but I am the kind of person who cant stand that kind of behavior. It is pretty special though that he hadnt played before.

As you mentioned, Ford will probably have a "talk" with him. He seemed like a very classy head coach. I think most of the NEC head men are, with one glarring exception (i guess you guys know who i mean).

I think without a doubt, Albany was the largest (in size of the players) that RMU has played all year. But oddly enough, i think Rowan (DIII) may have been the hardest hitting. (what is your take on that TV?)

rmutv
November 4th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Rowan was tough, and they got some good shots off, but I think Albany was more of an overall challenge in terms of RMU players walking away with bumps and bruises.

Rowan got to Cwalinski quite a bit too, but after the fourth sack by the Danes, Erik was barely moving and taking forever to get up. Even big Vince Magnone was shaken up after a crunching hit by two linebackers.

Two or three players always around the ball, constant pileups...Albany definitely has the edge over Rowan.

Dane96
November 4th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Scary thing...we return 7 starters next year...and have some highly touted R-Fr. Our backups who will replace the four starters...all have seen time.

Clearly, Coleman will be the toughest to replace.

alumNEC
November 5th, 2006, 12:12 AM
I got back not too long ago from my road-trip to RMU... I finally talked myself into making the long trip... But it was absolutely worth it... My kind of game (defensive battle)... RMU played very well on defense, but the UA defense was incredible... Exciting to watch... Both offenses were aweful, however at least part of the blame could be put on the defenses they played... NEC is having a great year and I am very happy it is coming down to the final week to see who will get their rings!!! As for the hit, sooooo many players on defense lead with their helmet, and only once or twice a game is it even really noticed... I hate to see one or two questionably calls or plays be brought up in such a great game... Both RMU and Albany made vicious hits blind-siding receivers in today's game... In both cases the defensive player did almost the same exact thing, however for albany's tackle the RMU receiver turned his head into the tackle... It is definitely a sad thing that it occurred but it was certainly not on perpose... With the game speed nowadays it would be impossible to judge where a player's head would be... And the celebrating was not over the player laughing or anything of that sort, it was high-fives for a good pop as you will see in any game you watch... all albany fans and players clapped and cheered after the receiver walked away from the hit... I stuck around for the hand-shakes after the game and the teams acted very classy and showed the respect to eachother that was apparent for most of the game... And I even watched the player from RMU that was hurt on the play walk through the line getting pats and smiles from the Albany players... The "jawing" during the game was less than most games I have been to and it did not seem to be vulgar or offensive just the normal pump-up talk... That one play should not be what is taken out of this game, it was a great defensive battle and a helluva game to watch... Very happy I made the trip I cannot wait for next week's action... Now I just have to choose whether to go see CCSU Vs Stony Brook or Albany Vs Monmouth... Any suggestions?

alumNEC
November 5th, 2006, 12:14 AM
Sorry about the poor grammar and spelling... not too sober and its pretty late

alumNEC
November 5th, 2006, 12:35 AM
One more thing, I looked at the NEC website and it says that RMU had -51 rushing yards... Is this stat correct?

Dane96
November 5th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Stat is correct...and go to the Albany-Mon game. Huge rivalry...and punishing defenses!!!

alumNEC
November 5th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Wow, that run defense for the danes looked impressive at RMU but I had no idea the colonials had -51 yards... I was leaning toward the Monmouth-Albany game anyway, but you may have pushed me to commit by reminding me of the likliness of a brutal defensive battle...

UAalum72
November 5th, 2006, 09:07 AM
One more thing, I looked at the NEC website and it says that RMU had -51 rushing yards... Is this stat correct?
Under college stats rules -66 from the 10 sacks counts against the rushing total.

BobbyMo
November 5th, 2006, 09:53 AM
I got back not too long ago from my road-trip to RMU... I finally talked myself into making the long trip... But it was absolutely worth it... My kind of game (defensive battle)... RMU played very well on defense, but the UA defense was incredible... Exciting to watch... Both offenses were aweful, however at least part of the blame could be put on the defenses they played... NEC is having a great year and I am very happy it is coming down to the final week to see who will get their rings!!! As for the hit, sooooo many players on defense lead with their helmet, and only once or twice a game is it even really noticed... I hate to see one or two questionably calls or plays be brought up in such a great game... Both RMU and Albany made vicious hits blind-siding receivers in today's game... In both cases the defensive player did almost the same exact thing, however for albany's tackle the RMU receiver turned his head into the tackle... It is definitely a sad thing that it occurred but it was certainly not on perpose... With the game speed nowadays it would be impossible to judge where a player's head would be... And the celebrating was not over the player laughing or anything of that sort, it was high-fives for a good pop as you will see in any game you watch... all albany fans and players clapped and cheered after the receiver walked away from the hit... I stuck around for the hand-shakes after the game and the teams acted very classy and showed the respect to eachother that was apparent for most of the game... And I even watched the player from RMU that was hurt on the play walk through the line getting pats and smiles from the Albany players... The "jawing" during the game was less than most games I have been to and it did not seem to be vulgar or offensive just the normal pump-up talk... That one play should not be what is taken out of this game, it was a great defensive battle and a helluva game to watch... Very happy I made the trip I cannot wait for next week's action... Now I just have to choose whether to go see CCSU Vs Stony Brook or Albany Vs Monmouth... Any suggestions?

I think that the one player was certainly taunting. That is why Mike Rogers got a penalty for RMU after the play. He did not appreciate it and pushed the Albany player who i thought, and apparently Mike thought was taunting Mario.

Glad you made the trip. I hope to make it to the GIC if SD does not make the playoffs. I would love to see their team.

alumNEC
November 5th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Taunting is wrong either way... no matter in which way it was done... But like I said one play, dirty or not, should not be the talk of the game... Both RMU and Albany had some great hits with celebrating afterward, it did not seem that anybody including the refs thought it was all that bad... and it was a very exciting defensive battle, so lets not talk about blown calls or "dirty" play because being there no player/coach/fan truly thought much of it 5 minutes after it occurred

Dane96
November 5th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Wow, that run defense for the danes looked impressive at RMU but I had no idea the colonials had -51 yards... I was leaning toward the Monmouth-Albany game anyway, but you may have pushed me to commit by reminding me of the likliness of a brutal defensive battle...

I will be there!!!

And if you make the trip...call up soon and grab a ticket for AMerica East Defending Champ Albany vs. Top 25 and Two Time Defending Champ Bucknell...7pm tip off...opening game.

3000 tickets, plus 750 student seats are gone already. About 1000 seats left....for what will most likely be a sellout...or near it.