PDA

View Full Version : Yale adds Army to future schedule

bulldog10jw
June 22nd, 2005, 10:50 PM
http://yalebulldogs.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/062105aaa.html

ARMY RETURNS TO YALE FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
Cadets-Bulldogs Ink Two Games For Now

June 21, 2005

They first met 112 years ago and more than half of the 45 contests pitted two squads looking to establish national prominence. Yale Athletics Director Tom Beckett announced today that the historic football rivalry between Yale and Army will be renewed with a pair of games at West Point's Michie Stadium.

The Bulldogs will travel to Army on Oct. 2, 2010, and Sept. 29, 2012. It is possible that the Cadets will come to the renovated Yale Bowl at some point after.

TxState_GO_CATS!
June 22nd, 2005, 10:58 PM

June 21, 2005

They first met 112 years ago and more than half of the 45 contests pitted two squads looking to establish national prominence. Yale Athletics Director Tom Beckett announced today that the historic football rivalry between Yale and Army will be renewed with a pair of games at West Point's Michie Stadium.

The Bulldogs will travel to Army on Oct. 2, 2010, and Sept. 29, 2012. It is possible that the Cadets will come to the renovated Yale Bowl at some point after.

wow, that is awesome. as a college football history junkie (although i have no official affiliation with either institution), this is exciting! i may have to make the trip to the games. ;) Hope Yale pulls it out for Div. I-AA.

bulldog10jw
June 22nd, 2005, 11:12 PM
wow, that is awesome. as a college football history junkie (although i have no official affiliation with either institution), this is exciting! i may have to make the trip to the games. ;) Hope Yale pulls it out for Div. I-AA.

There is no better setting in all of college football than Michie Stadium on the Hudson. Unfortunately, these games are a little to early in the season for the fall foliage, but it's still an awsome experience.

Husky Alum
June 22nd, 2005, 11:13 PM
Should Army return the trip to the Bowl, the Husky Alum family will be there with bells on. I'm a third generation former usher at the Yale Bowl, and my dad and grandfather told me the stories of the great Yale teams and how they played teams like Army in the glory days of Yale football.

I'm all for it.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 23rd, 2005, 12:56 AM

June 21, 2005

OK, do wins against Yale count against the bowl total?

TexasTerror
June 23rd, 2005, 05:52 AM
OK, do wins against Yale count against the bowl total?

It's a win as a win as a win, that goes towards the total needed for bowl games. Remember the new provision?

Hansel
June 23rd, 2005, 07:27 AM
I beleive the new provision includes a min scholarship provision

Fordham
June 23rd, 2005, 08:10 AM
... and in perhaps bigger news ...

Yale to have home and home with Fordham, et. al. (http://www.nhregister.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=14734404&BRD=1281&PAG=461&dept_id=7592&rfi=6)

Yale has home-and-home non-conference series set with Patriot League foes Fordham, Lafayette, Lehigh and Holy Cross and a three-game series with Georgetown (two at Yale Bowl) over the next five years.

Husky Alum
June 23rd, 2005, 08:57 AM
Anyone think that Yale and UConn would ever play again? The tide has changed since I was growing up and UConn was more or less cannon fodder for Yale.

I remember as a kid that the attendance would be announced at the Bowl at about 50,000 and there would be no one in the stadium, but the parking lots would be packed.

All of the UConn faithful would be drinking in the parking lot (Yale required anyone parking to have a ticket for each person in the car).

Marcus Garvey
June 23rd, 2005, 09:48 AM
I suspect the Yale-Army games in '10 to be ugly blowouts. Army ought to be moving forward. If Paul Johnson can win at Navy, the West Point brass knows they can too. Yale, on the other hand, has been stuck in "neutral" for the last 15 years. Mediocre more often than not. Unless Army stays down, and Yale gets competitive with Harvard and Penn, these games will not be pretty.

Engineer91
June 23rd, 2005, 10:42 AM
Marcus,

You staying out of the heat and the fires?

Marcus Garvey
June 23rd, 2005, 03:29 PM
Marcus,

You staying out of the heat and the fires?

Heat I cannot avoid. I have to venture outside sometime. It's 83 degrees at 5AM for crying out loud! Sucks to run in, but beats 103 at 5PM! I'm nowhere near any of the fires though.

DFW HOYA
June 23rd, 2005, 08:39 PM
When I wake up at 6:00 am and it's less than 80, it'll be OK. More than 80 means three digits by the end of the day.

I can't complain, though--I once traveled to Tucson in August, where the low was 89 and the high was 117. (Our clients worked in the metal fabrication business, and Tucson's a tough place to work on sheet metal in August.)

ngineer
June 23rd, 2005, 09:00 PM
I'm disappointed--been holding out hope that Lehigh would be scheduling the Black Knights soon. What a great road trip. It's been 10 years since we've played 'em. :(

Marcus Garvey
June 23rd, 2005, 10:35 PM
When I wake up at 6:00 am and it's less than 80, it'll be OK. More than 80 means three digits by the end of the day.

I'll keep my summers over yours! ;)

I did come close to taking a job in Plano however. That was about 4 years ago though.