PDA

View Full Version : SoCon uneven conference schedules

OrangeAndBlack
September 13th, 2014, 08:03 PM
With only 7 conference games this year, half of the league gets the advantage of playing 4 home games and 3 road games.

Is it a coincidence that arguably the best 4 (pre-season) teams got this advantage? Those 4 being Furman, Chattanooga, Samford, and Wofford.

I don't mind this at all, because next year it should be Mercer, WCU, VMI, and The Citadel getting this advantage. That is if ETSU isn't playing a SoCon schedule until 2016... that's correct, right?

Either way, what are your thoughts on the group of 4 getting the advantage this year? Was that an attempt by the conference to pump up their top teams this year? To make the top of the conference look stronger? The logic being that Mercer and company would be improved the following year and that would all balance out.

clenz
September 13th, 2014, 08:04 PM
Would you bring this up if it was the other way around?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

CID1990
September 13th, 2014, 08:14 PM
it isnt a big deal since half of those 4 wont be in the discussion in november

bdog
September 13th, 2014, 08:16 PM
You're an idiot

OrangeAndBlack
September 13th, 2014, 08:39 PM
Would you bring this up if it was the other way around?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Probably not, but it's just friendly discussion. For the record I PREFER this setup. Mercer will be better positioned to take advantage next year with 4 home and 3 road games.

You're an idiot

Huh? If it doesn't concern you that your team is at a disadvantage then I suppose you'd be OK with The Citadel playing all their conference games on the road? I'm sorry I prefer having a balanced/fair atmosphere to compete in.

I realize it is going to balance out next year, which is think is GREAT. It's perfect timing for Mercer to have an extra year to get better and be ready to benefit from it.

This was just a friendly discussion, but honestly it's sad if you don't realize that home field advantage is huge.

bdog
September 13th, 2014, 08:44 PM
grow up

chattanoogamocs
September 13th, 2014, 08:51 PM
With only 7 conference games this year, half of the league gets the advantage of playing 4 home games and 3 road games.

Is it a coincidence that arguably the best 4 (pre-season) teams got this advantage? Those 4 being Furman, Chattanooga, Samford, and Wofford.

I don't mind this at all, because next year it should be Mercer, WCU, VMI, and The Citadel getting this advantage. That is if ETSU isn't playing a SoCon schedule until 2016... that's correct, right?

Either way, what are your thoughts on the group of 4 getting the advantage this year? Was that an attempt by the conference to pump up their top teams this year? To make the top of the conference look stronger? The logic being that Mercer and company would be improved the following year and that would all balance out.

Correct. ETSU won't play a SoCon schedule until 2016. So in the 2 year cycle, everything evens out.

The SoCon office might have felt a little sorry for Chattanooga and let them have the 4th game this year (and 3 next year)...I believe they were only returning team last season that had to play GSU, ASU and Elon all on the road...add in that Georgia State also back out of their return game and Chattanooga home schedule was decimated. Even after a bunch of work to shore up the schedule, UTC only ended up with a 5 game home slate in a 12 game year (with 2 FBS teams).

I give Huesman credit though...he could have just taken a Non DI home game to get a 6th game, but he is committed to the Mocs playing all DI schedules (and that is not meant as a swipe at schools who do)

smilo
September 13th, 2014, 08:57 PM
I don't know why everyone is jumping on this guy. Seems pretty relevant, but at the end of the day, if this is just a 2 year stop gap, then I'd probably be alright with it.

chattanoogamocs
September 13th, 2014, 09:10 PM
I don't know why everyone is jumping on this guy. Seems pretty relevant, but at the end of the day, if this is just a 2 year stop gap, then I'd probably be alright with it.

It is. Once ETSU is on board in 2016, it will back to a 4 and 4.

PaladinFan
September 13th, 2014, 09:20 PM
I doubt there's any rationale behind it. Mercer avoids the two toughest road venues this season (Furman and the Citadel).

The SoCon for a long time had Furman/App/GSU playing a rotating schedule (always one at home, one on the road). I'm sure that was deliberate.

Samford last season was hosed. I forget their conference road schedule, but it was brutal. I imagine they were given an olive branch this year.

Besides, it all depends on your perspective. Furman gets four conference games at home, but has to return to the Citadel for the second straight year. I would prefer to play one fewer home game instead of going back to Charleston.

clenz
September 13th, 2014, 09:21 PM

Because it's clear it's a crying thread trying to point to "favoritism" and blah blah blah...

FUBeAR
September 13th, 2014, 09:22 PM
grow up

Don't worry about these Bellhop/BullPuppies O&B - I've been listening to their barks and sinus problems for 35 years due to my prior SoCon affiliation...while usually rubbing their noses in their own excrement and spanking them with a rolled-up P&C. Your question was/is perfectly reasonable coming from a new SoCon member. In response to your question, I have no knowledge of how the scheduling was determined but, IMHO, I doubt there was any nefarious back-room double-dealing involved...probably just coin flips or something innocent like that. The really good news for you is, all the SoCon Away trips are fun and/or beautiful cities and towns. Follow the Bears on their away games and I know you'll enjoy yourself!!

NOTE: Apologies to my AGS Mentor, CitDog, for my disparagement of his beloved ElCid in this post....because he's NEVER had an ill word to say about my Alma Mater (wait for it...)

PaladinFan
September 13th, 2014, 09:22 PM
Because it's clear it's a crying thread trying to point to "favoritism" and blah blah blah...

Mercer had 8 home games last year. They have 7 this year.

If there's one team that doesn't get to gripe about how many home games they get, it is Mercer.

BearDownMU
September 13th, 2014, 10:01 PM
Yeah. I wonder why you would try to get 8 home games in your first season in your brand new facilities that no one had touched yet. And of our away games, two were the most geographically miserable. San Diego and Marist (NY)

But either way, the guy can't just ask a question? Sheesh And it was about how the conference schedule bears out, not total games. If you could book every non conference game at home, why wouldn't you?

Thumper 76
September 13th, 2014, 10:23 PM
Try having a conference schedule where you play @ NDSU and UNI every other year.

BearDownMU
September 13th, 2014, 10:53 PM
Try having a conference schedule where you play @ NDSU and UNI every other year.

Who are they?

;)

walliver
September 13th, 2014, 10:55 PM
Wofford fans don't like the schedule. We are playing AT FU, Chatty, and WCU for the second year in a row.

Reign of Terrier
September 13th, 2014, 11:05 PM
What favoritism are we talking about here? Because Wofford plays all of our "tough" games on the road, with the exception of maybe the Citadel. Not to mention we have to go back to Western Carolina and Furman after having to play them on the road last year.

CID1990
September 13th, 2014, 11:09 PM
no non-issue ever got this kind of play before

ever

OrangeAndBlack
September 14th, 2014, 12:16 AM
I'm not crying about favoritism -- I PREFER this setup. It benefits Mercer to have the advantage in 2015. Seriously though, this scheduling imbalance has HUGE implications on who will win the conference championship.

I did learn something new, that The Citadel is apparently a very tough place to play. I hadn't heard that before.

clenz
September 14th, 2014, 12:20 AM
Who are they?

;)

Yeah.

UNI gets @ SDSU, @ SIU, and @ NDSU every other year...

You want to trade schedules, Mercer fans?

OrangeAndBlack
September 14th, 2014, 12:29 AM
Yeah.

UNI gets @ SDSU, @ SIU, and @ NDSU every other year...

You want to trade schedules, Mercer fans?

I want to play an even amount of home/road SoCon games. Not sure where those teams fit into that.

FUBeAR
September 14th, 2014, 12:50 AM
I did learn something new, that The Citadel is apparently a very tough place to play. I hadn't heard that before.

Nah - LOVED, LOVED, LOVED playing at ElCid and at VMI. Both fields (grass) were for crap in those days and ElCid's was the exact same way when I went on it after their spring game this year. May be better in-season now...dunno. But the pageantry with the bands, drums, military-ism...and the marching in of the Corps of Cadets is way cool. Don't know about now, but we used to dress in a little shack at ElCid and only about 20 of us fit in there at a time. So the rest of us were outside - right where they assembled and marched in the Cadets....woohooo - the things they said to us and their 'intimidating' chants - hilarious...So...it's all fun there....but there is the patriotism aspect too, which is inspirational and just gets you fired up for some football. Crowd gets into the game at ElCid and that's cool if you're a player cuz it ain't like that in near enuf SoCon venues (from my experience). Tough places to play are like UTC used to be (old stadium) where their WR's knew how to use the slope in the back right corner of the endzone to reach the highest point just as the ball was arriving....and their showers trickled out drop by drop with cold water only and handi-wipes for towels...that was tough! And...the Mini-dome...well, bless its heart, is the best I can say for ETSU's old venue. As I said earlier - just some great places to visit and some fun places to play - you'll enjoy every SoCon trip you take...and without looking up the historical stats, I would bet most of the time the better team wins in the SoCon; not necessarily the home team. Enjoy the amazing Game-Day experience in Macon AND enjoy the cool/fun places/venues at the Away games!!

PaladinFan
September 14th, 2014, 05:32 AM
I'm not crying about favoritism -- I PREFER this setup. It benefits Mercer to have the advantage in 2015. Seriously though, this scheduling imbalance has HUGE implications on who will win the conference championship.

All SoCon road games are tough. Every stadium has its own unique atmosphere. I am thankful every time Furman gets a road win in the SoCon no matter how good we are, or how good they are.

Look at Wofford and Furman. The two stadiums are 30 miles or so apart. Wofford has been a perennial playoff contender, but they have just two wins ever in Paladin Stadium (2003, 2007). Conference road games are rarely easy. Typically long road trips against teams very familiar with your team, coaches, and personnel.

kdinva
September 14th, 2014, 06:57 AM
I want to play an even amount of home/road SoCon games.

you/we will, beginning in 2016.

Milktruck74
September 14th, 2014, 08:05 AM
Nah - LOVED, LOVED, LOVED playing at ElCid and at VMI. Both fields (grass) were for crap in those days and ElCid's was the exact same way when I went on it after their spring game this year. May be better in-season now...dunno. But the pageantry with the bands, drums, military-ism...and the marching in of the Corps of Cadets is way cool. Don't know about now, but we used to dress in a little shack at ElCid and only about 20 of us fit in there at a time. So the rest of us were outside - right where they assembled and marched in the Cadets....woohooo - the things they said to us and their 'intimidating' chants - hilarious...So...it's all fun there....but there is the patriotism aspect too, which is inspirational and just gets you fired up for some football. Crowd gets into the game at ElCid and that's cool if you're a player cuz it ain't like that in near enuf SoCon venues (from my experience). Tough places to play are like UTC used to be (old stadium) where their WR's knew how to use the slope in the back right corner of the endzone to reach the highest point just as the ball was arriving....and their showers trickled out drop by drop with cold water only and handi-wipes for towels...that was tough! And...the Mini-dome...well, bless its heart, is the best I can say for ETSU's old venue. As I said earlier - just some great places to visit and some fun places to play - you'll enjoy every SoCon trip you take...and without looking up the historical stats, I would bet most of the time the better team wins in the SoCon; not necessarily the home team. Enjoy the amazing Game-Day experience in Macon AND enjoy the cool/fun places/venues at the Away games!!

I was sitting here remembering the exact same things....I go back to when Marshall was in the SoCon and I remember not being able to take off your helmets until you were in the locker room or safely on the field. Walking the gauntlet of dip spit, mini liquor bottles, and an occasional full drink when you are down 30 at halftime was always such fun. Good times!!!

FUBeAR
September 14th, 2014, 09:55 AM
I was sitting here remembering the exact same things....I go back to when Marshall was in the SoCon and I remember not being able to take off your helmets until you were in the locker room or safely on the field. Walking the gauntlet of dip spit, mini liquor bottles, and an occasional full drink when you are down 30 at halftime was always such fun. Good times!!!

LOL - The years before Marsha was good WERE even more fun! Just didn't mention them because they aren't in the SoCon these days. Same dignified crowd that you mentioned was there and they acted the same way, but they also were blasting The Blundering Turd's players at the same time....and, in their old stadium, they were right on top of the visiting team. We were usually UP by 30 and they were still 'killing' our players with verbal abuse - usually around some unusual physical characteristic that we also had always busted on them for...and the Marsha fans saw the watermelon head or acne or whatever...and were relentless...which was double-funny!! The field was concrete, half-covered by bad indoor/outdoor carpet and the weather was always miserable. Wish I was there right now!!!

dungeonjoe
September 14th, 2014, 12:12 PM
LOL - The years before Marsha was good WERE even more fun! Just didn't mention them because they aren't in the SoCon these days. Same dignified crowd that you mentioned was there and they acted the same way, but they also were blasting The Blundering Turd's players at the same time....and, in their old stadium, they were right on top of the visiting team. We were usually UP by 30 and they were still 'killing' our players with verbal abuse - usually around some unusual physical characteristic that we also had always busted on them for...and the Marsha fans saw the watermelon head or acne or whatever...and were relentless...which was double-funny!! The field was concrete, half-covered by bad indoor/outdoor carpet and the weather was always miserable. Wish I was there right now!!!
i have a friend who played basketball at the Citadel. As I understand it, there was chicken wire around the court/visitors bench at ETSU to protect the visiting team

AshevilleApp2
September 14th, 2014, 01:53 PM

Not many years back the Southern Conference was arguably as strong as the MVFC is now. The same could have been said about playing Furman, Wofford and The Citadel on the road every other year.

blackbeard
September 14th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Congrats SoCon, you have done well replacing your whiny App St and GA Southern fans