PDA

View Full Version : NDSU and SDSU to stay in Great West?

Shockerman
November 2nd, 2006, 04:13 PM
I was over on Bisonville poking around and their was some discussion about the Great West perhaps getting a waiver and getting an autobid in 2009. If that happened with the addition of USD and UND would SU's be willing to stay in the Great West? The reason I ask is that with all the talk of Wichita State starting up football again, the addition of the 4 Dakota Schools would certainly put a damper on the Shox to the Gateway.

th0m
November 2nd, 2006, 04:16 PM
Welll, now that WKU is leaving, that kind of opens things up in the Gateway.

BearsCountry
November 2nd, 2006, 04:31 PM
I was over on Bisonville poking around and their was some discussion about the Great West perhaps getting a waiver and getting an autobid in 2009. If that happened with the addition of USD and UND would SU's be willing to stay in the Great West? The reason I ask is that with all the talk of Wichita State starting up football again, the addition of the 4 Dakota Schools would certainly put a damper on the Shox to the Gateway.

Only NDSU and SDSU would be added to the Gateway, not UND or USD.

89rabbit
November 2nd, 2006, 04:37 PM
Unless the Mid-Con (who admins the Great West) forced Western Ill. over to the GWFC and with the additions of UND and USD formed a Mid-Con football conference, which I don't see happening, my bet is SDSU and NDSU go to the Gateway. :twocents:

FargoBison
November 2nd, 2006, 04:39 PM
Lets just ignore the message board talk, here is the latest news about NDSU/SDSU to the Gateway from a sports anchor in Fargo......

By the way, the vibe I'm hearing from some pretty well connected people is that the Gateway thing is very likely. I'd be surprised if it doesn't happen, and probably talks are already being had within the league, despite Patty V's timeframe of January for discussion, February for vote.
http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/?blog=4246

IMO the Great West's future is just too questionable so NDSU and SDSU will have no choice but to go to the Gateway where their football programs will have the best long term home.

AggiePride
November 2nd, 2006, 04:43 PM
Lets just ignore the message board talk, here is the latest news about NDSU/SDSU to the Gateway from a sport anchor in Fargo......

http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/?blog=4246

IMO the Great West's future is just too questionable so NDSU and SDSU will have no choice but to go to the Gateway where their football programs will have the best long term home.

Hmm, is it the chicken or the egg that came first?

89rabbit
November 2nd, 2006, 04:48 PM
AggiePride,

UC-Davis building a new 30,000 seat stadium is one of the reasons that the GWFC doesn't feel secure. We hear that in the Dakotas and think . . . "how long are they going to be I-AA and in the GWFC?". :eyebrow:

BisonBacker
November 2nd, 2006, 04:59 PM
Not Long

NoCoDanny
November 2nd, 2006, 05:05 PM
NDSU and SDSU move to the Gateway and ND and SD take their place in the GWFC, problem solved.

AggiePride
November 2nd, 2006, 05:12 PM
AggiePride,

UC-Davis building a new 30,000 seat stadium is one of the reasons that the GWFC doesn't feel secure. We hear that in the Dakotas and think . . . "how long are they going to be I-AA and in the GWFC?". :eyebrow:

There are many reasons that we are not going I-A. Even knowledgable Davis fans seem to be misguided.

Just a myth that any CA fan would love to believe, considering I-A is all CA seems to understand. Don't buy into that myth.

We almost dropped football not long ago, and it has only been going (as well as the stadium) do to students continuing to vote in favor of raising tuition to fund it. THat is the origin of the "Aggie Pack"

We will not even be up to full I-AA schollies until 2010, I think. And even then 7 will be "grant and aid". Isn't NDSU already fully ramped up? Is SDSU? THat should tell you about how fast our program is moving.

Our stadium is 10,000-15,000. And has been promised and in the works for 30 years, it is not a product of the move to I-AA. I was promised one "in the near future" in 1996 as were legions of Aggies before me. Yes it can be built out to 30,000, but that is only a large I-AA stadium IMO. Though this stadium is nice and was worth the wait.

I think we shall return to Independant life unless the GWFC has some tricks up their sleeves. Though, I am sure the regulars will still be on our schedule.

Considering we racked up 13,500 miles this year, we can handle it, I guess...

CopperCat
November 2nd, 2006, 05:14 PM
Doug Fullerton, idiot commissioner of the Big Sky, had a chance to annex these two very solid programs, and didn't do it because of "geographical isolation," with a few other reasons that were really weakxidiotx . Quite honestly, if you follow that logic, Northern Arizona and Sac State should NEVER have been added to the conference because of "geographical isolation." And now instead of adding two solid all-around athletic programs, we get Northern Colorado (no offense to anyone), who hasn't won a single conference game this year, and whose basketball teams did about as good last season. Doug Fullerton, you are a MORON!!!!!

NDSU and SDSU, I wish you both the best wherever you end up.

NoCoDanny
November 2nd, 2006, 05:15 PM
The presidents vote on membership, it is not Fullerton's decision.

AmsterBison
November 2nd, 2006, 05:25 PM

Yep, it's not Fullerton's fault. Moreover, I'm sure every school who voted against the SU's had good reasons (travel and lack of opportunities for DI-A games).

Shockerman
November 2nd, 2006, 05:37 PM
Only NDSU and SDSU would be added to the Gateway, not UND or USD.

Not so fast, I picked this little tidbit up on Bisonville...

Here's a quote from the article in the forum.....

It appears the Gateway is not considering any other schools besides NDSU and SDSU, although Hartzell mentioned the University of North Dakota and the University of South Dakota when asked about expansion.

“That set of four would be attractive,” he said. “But we don’t have to expand, either.”

Here is the link........

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/144783

Whatever happens, the four Dakota schools, SUU and Western Illinois need to stck together no matter what. If the day comes and the Gateway turns back into the Mo-Valley as has been discussed, Those six schools could form a mid-con football league with an autobid. In the same breath, I think you will see Wichita State, Mo-State, Illinois State, SIU, Creighton and Bradley always sticking together. If those four went DI in football look for Tulsa, Houston, Rice and SMU to jump on board... The only wild card in all this is NDSU. It just seems like DI might be in their future.

Even with all this speculation I just hope the Shox bring back Football soon and can get a slot in the Gateway before UND and USD move up.

89rabbit
November 2nd, 2006, 06:05 PM
From the Sioux Falls, SD Argus Leader:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061026/SPORTS0202/610260342/1002/SPORTS

Gateway takes look at SDSU
Football conference might lure Jacks from Great West

By Terry Vandrovec
[email protected]
PUBLISHED: October 26, 2006

Less than three seasons into its foray into NCAA Division I-AA and an affiliation with the Great West Football Conference, South Dakota State has caught the eye of another league.

Gateway Football Conference commissioner Patty Viverito said Wednesday night that her league has requested institutional information from SDSU and North Dakota State as it studies potential expansion in the near future. . . .

Viverito said Wednesday that she is "not optimistic" that Western Kentucky will remain in the Gateway Conference.

That would leave the league with seven teams: Illinois State, Indiana State, Missouri State, Northern Iowa, Southern Illinois, Western Illinois and Youngstown State.

The conference can and has operated at that number. But for scheduling purposes, nine teams would be "optimum," according to the commissioner. . . .

NDSU and SDSU are in the third year of a five-year transition process from Division II, which means they're not playoff eligible until 2008. Still, according to Viverito, they are the only schools the Gateway is looking at for possible expansion. . . .

The first step is for SDSU and NDSU to compile and submit a packet similar to what they sent to the Mid-Con - information pertaining to missions, academics, compliance and the football program.

Factors like geography also weigh in, but Viverito said she wouldn't see that as an impediment if the schools demonstrate a commitment consistent with the existing Gateway members.

Viverito said she hasn't received a packet from either school. Beyond that, there isn't a timeline for action, and the next Gateway presidents meeting is scheduled for June.

"But chances are we'll need to move more quickly than that," she said. "We see ourselves as having a mutual window of opportunity here." . . . (read more)

TheBisonator
November 2nd, 2006, 07:44 PM

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061026/SPORTS0202/610260342/1002/SPORTS

Gateway takes look at SDSU
Football conference might lure Jacks from Great West

By Terry Vandrovec
[email protected]
PUBLISHED: October 26, 2006

Less than three seasons into its foray into NCAA Division I-AA and an affiliation with the Great West Football Conference, South Dakota State has caught the eye of another league.

Gateway Football Conference commissioner Patty Viverito said Wednesday night that her league has requested institutional information from SDSU and North Dakota State as it studies potential expansion in the near future. . . .

Viverito said Wednesday that she is "not optimistic" that Western Kentucky will remain in the Gateway Conference.

That would leave the league with seven teams: Illinois State, Indiana State, Missouri State, Northern Iowa, Southern Illinois, Western Illinois and Youngstown State.

The conference can and has operated at that number. But for scheduling purposes, nine teams would be "optimum," according to the commissioner. . . .

NDSU and SDSU are in the third year of a five-year transition process from Division II, which means they're not playoff eligible until 2008. Still, according to Viverito, they are the only schools the Gateway is looking at for possible expansion. . . .

The first step is for SDSU and NDSU to compile and submit a packet similar to what they sent to the Mid-Con - information pertaining to missions, academics, compliance and the football program.

Factors like geography also weigh in, but Viverito said she wouldn't see that as an impediment if the schools demonstrate a commitment consistent with the existing Gateway members.

Viverito said she hasn't received a packet from either school. Beyond that, there isn't a timeline for action, and the next Gateway presidents meeting is scheduled for June.

"But chances are we'll need to move more quickly than that," she said. "We see ourselves as having a mutual window of opportunity here." . . . (read more)

The highlighted quote in that article is wrong. NDSU and SDSU are in their fourth year of a five year transition. If you interpret the transition as being a four-year one, then we're in the third year.

89rabbit
November 2nd, 2006, 08:25 PM
The highlighted quote in that article is wrong. NDSU and SDSU are in their fourth year of a five year transition. If you interpret the transition as being a four-year one, then we're in the third year.

That is what the Argus Leader gets for hiring a Fargo Forum reporter. ;) xlolx

CopperCat
November 2nd, 2006, 08:30 PM

But I guarantee you Fullerton gave them all an earful. Fullerton was on the local sportstalk show, and he was rather adamant about the two schools not being admitted to the Big Sky. It doesn't really matter who denied the whole thing. The point is that the Big Sky could have become a the premier I-AA league (or at least one of them) by adding these two schools.:bang:

JackJD
November 2nd, 2006, 09:22 PM
There are many reasons that we are not going I-A. Even knowledgable Davis fans seem to be misguided.

Just a myth that any CA fan would love to believe, considering I-A is all CA seems to understand. Don't buy into that myth.

We almost dropped football not long ago, and it has only been going (as well as the stadium) do to students continuing to vote in favor of raising tuition to fund it. THat is the origin of the "Aggie Pack"

We will not even be up to full I-AA schollies until 2010, I think. And even then 7 will be "grant and aid". Isn't NDSU already fully ramped up? Is SDSU? THat should tell you about how fast our program is moving.

Our stadium is 10,000-15,000. And has been promised and in the works for 30 years, it is not a product of the move to I-AA. I was promised one "in the near future" in 1996 as were legions of Aggies before me. Yes it can be built out to 30,000, but that is only a large I-AA stadium IMO. Though this stadium is nice and was worth the wait.

I think we shall return to Independant life unless the GWFC has some tricks up their sleeves. Though, I am sure the regulars will still be on our schedule.

Considering we racked up 13,500 miles this year, we can handle it, I guess...

I think the Gateway is going to be the home for SDSU and NDSU...but, I wish there was a way the Jackrabbits could continue to play Davis on a regular basis. I know our athletes and fans look forward to the matchups whether it's a trip to California or hosting Davis.

On the topic of Scholarships, the Bison are funded at 63 and what is a little scarey, we won't see the full impact of that for another year or two as scholarship athletes take off their redshirts etc. The Jackrabbits are to be at 63 for next season but this year I think we're at 57.

igo4uni
November 2nd, 2006, 09:29 PM
I think the Gateway is going to be the home for SDSU and NDSU

Yup!

JackJD
November 2nd, 2006, 09:33 PM
Hey, Igo4UNI, I'm so old I remember going against UNI (my sport was track) when they were in the North Central Conference in the mid-70s. It'll be great renewing that very old rivalry. UNI, SDSU and NDSU were charter members of the venerable NCC.

89rabbit
November 2nd, 2006, 10:08 PM
I think the Gateway is going to be the home for SDSU and NDSU...but, I wish there was a way the Jackrabbits could continue to play Davis on a regular basis. I know our athletes and fans look forward to the matchups whether it's a trip to California or hosting Davis.

On the topic of Scholarships, the Bison are funded at 63 and what is a little scarey, we won't see the full impact of that for another year or two as scholarship athletes take off their redshirts etc. The Jackrabbits are to be at 63 for next season but this year I think we're at 57.

We are at 54 this season will be at 63 next season.

AggiePride
November 2nd, 2006, 10:10 PM
We are at 54 this season will be at 63 next season.

Davis is at 43 I think :(

89rabbit
November 3rd, 2006, 07:16 AM

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061103/SPORTS0202/611030306/1002/SPORTS

Western Kentucky will leave Gateway
Talks with SDSU could begin at season's end

By Terry Vandrovec
[email protected]
PUBLISHED: November 3, 2006

News on Thursday that Western Kentucky will move its football program to the NCAA Division I-A level next fall and thus leave the Gateway Football Conference did little to immediately advance the possibility of South Dakota State and North Dakota State joining the I-AA league.

The yes vote by WKU's board of regents - final tally of 7-2 - was a formality. Gateway commissioner Patty Viverito said she'd long expected the Hilltoppers to jump; that was the reason her league sought institutional information from SDSU and NDSU regarding potential expansion.

"Western Kentucky gave us the heads up in August," Viverito said. "The action today is no surprise. Back when we got the news, we entered into some discussions and started conversations. The interest, I think, is mutual between those schools and the Gateway." . . . (read more)

89rabbit
November 3rd, 2006, 08:01 AM
From the St. George paper (Southern Utah):

http://www.thespectrum.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061103/SPORTS/611030327

Great West Football in for some changes
By BEAU EASTES
[email protected]

CEDAR CITY - Changes are a coming for fans of the Great West Football Conference.

As expected, Western Kentucky's board of regents approved the school's move from I-AA football to I-A on Thursday with a 7-2 vote. The decision means the Hilltoppers will leave the I-AA Gateway Football Conference for the I-A Sun Belt Conference, a league the rest of Western Kentucky's athletic programs already participate in.

Like any move in college athletics, the move has ramifications beyond just the Gateway. The loss of the Hilltoppers leaves the conference with seven members, one school more than the minimum six teams required for an automatic bid into the NCAA's I-AA football playoffs. With that in mind, Gateway officials are expected to invite Great West Football Conference members North Dakota State and South Dakota State to join the Midwest-based league. . . .

"It's not good for the (Great West)," Southern Utah athletic director Ken Beazer said last week when the possibility of losing the Dakotas was first brought up. "But the Great West has plans to move forward.

Though the Dakotas would almost certainly participate in the Great West next season, 2008 could see several new teams in what is currently the top-ranked I-AA football conference in the country.

The University of North Dakota will begin its transition from Division II to Division I/I-AA football next season and would be seen as a logical replacement for NDSU and SDSU. Additionally, on Monday the University of South Dakota received a recommendation from an intercollegiate consulting firm to make the move from Division II to I-A with a I-AA football program. Similar to when NDSU and SDSU moved classifications together, UND and USD could be seen as a package deal that would solve the Great West's membership problems, at least temporarily.

"We're at the table with some other I-AA schools," said Mid-Con commissioner Tom Douple, whose conference governs the Great West. "But it takes time to develop a viable conference." (read more)

89Hen
November 3rd, 2006, 08:05 AM
some discussion about the Great West perhaps getting a waiver and getting an autobid in 2009.
I'd have to say there's zippy chance of that. Not that they would, but in a five team confernce, a team could go 3-8 and make the playoffs. No way Jose.

Go Bison
November 3rd, 2006, 09:38 AM
NDSU wants to be in the Gateway along with SDSU. A 9 team conference would be ideal with an autobid as well. I can't wait to see some of the Gateway teams come to the Fargodome!

BisonBacker
November 3rd, 2006, 10:00 AM
Some of those Gateway fans/Teams (YSU) don't seem to be to enamored with the idea of having us in the Gateway conference. Guess they think we still travel out here by horse and buggy.

TxSt02
November 3rd, 2006, 11:06 AM
worng thread... sorry

ONCEaBISON/ALWAYSaBISON
November 3rd, 2006, 07:43 PM
From the St. George paper (Southern Utah):

["We're at the table with some other I-AA schools," said Mid-Con commissioner Tom Douple, whose conference governs the Great West. "But it takes time to develop a viable conference." (read more)

Any speculation on who these other I-AA schools may be?

I have heard UND and USD on other boards, but can't see how they can be classified as I-AA yet as UND has not even started their transition year, and USD has not made a decision yet.

Who are these other teams if not them?

Aggie71
November 3rd, 2006, 07:54 PM
I think I had this feeling the last time when my girl-friend ran off with a Poli - Sci major in '68...

Oh well, back to the airport.

not at peace,

'71

biobengal
November 3rd, 2006, 08:14 PM
Doug Fullerton, idiot commissioner of the Big Sky, had a chance to annex these two very solid programs, and didn't do it because of "geographical isolation," with a few other reasons that were really weakxidiotx . Quite honestly, if you follow that logic, Northern Arizona and Sac State should NEVER have been added to the conference because of "geographical isolation." And now instead of adding two solid all-around athletic programs, we get Northern Colorado (no offense to anyone), who hasn't won a single conference game this year, and whose basketball teams did about as good last season. Doug Fullerton, you are a MORON!!!!!

FTG, for the record, ISU's football coach was the only person in Pocatello to publicly state his opinion on whether to add the Dakota's. He indicated he was totally against it, I assume this was the position of the administration as well. Perhaps the single most important consideration for ISU was recruiting; you and I both know that ISU, MSU, and most other programs in the BSC recruit heavily in California. I think adding NDSU and SDUS may have jeopardized this connection.

Further, IMO, it's not just a geographical divide, the division is entrenched in the mind as well; the states of North Dakota and South Dakota rarely invade the conscious mind of average folks in Idaho, Arizona, California, Utah, Washington, and Oregon. You folks in the Dakotas probably feel the same way about the intermountain west.

The best solution for all parties would be: NDSU and SDSU to the Gateway and UC Davis and Cal Poly as football only members to the Big Sky.

Hammerhead
November 3rd, 2006, 09:01 PM
The Dakotas rarely invade the concious minds of folks from anywhere.:rotateh:

Further, IMO, it's not just a geographical divide, the division is entrenched in the mind as well; the states of North Dakota and South Dakota rarely invade the conscious mind of average folks in Idaho, Arizona, California, Utah, Washington, and Oregon. You folks in the Dakotas probably feel the same way about the intermountain west.