PDA

View Full Version : I-AA Champion in a Bowl?

AppStWill
November 2nd, 2006, 03:17 PM
I'm fairly new to this forum, so I'm not sure if the topic has ever been discussed or not, but I think it would be interesting to see the champion of I-AA get an automatic bid in a bowl (doesn't matter which one). There are plenty of 6 win I-A teams now that get into bowls undeservedly. Let's see how our champion does vs. one of the "big boys".:nod:

BillLuc1982
November 2nd, 2006, 03:20 PM
I would love to see how tough I-AA teams are!

cosmo here
November 2nd, 2006, 03:21 PM
I don't know about any legislation prohibiting it, but in most cases that would be a team's 16th game of the season - 17th if they were in a 12-game regular season. That's just nuts.

UMass922
November 2nd, 2006, 03:34 PM
I don't know about any legislation prohibiting it, but in most cases that would be a team's 16th game of the season - 17th if they were in a 12-game regular season. That's just nuts.

Agreed--too many games. Plus, I think sending the I-AA champion to a bowl would somewhat diminish the I-AA championship game. A true national championship game should be the last game of the season. Making the I-AA championship basically a "play-in" for a bowl game would seriously dilute it of its significance, IMHO--and would be paying way too much deference to I-A.

LeopardFan04
November 2nd, 2006, 03:36 PM
Agreed--too many games. Plus, I think sending the I-AA champion to a bowl would somewhat diminish the I-AA championship game. A true national championship game should be the last game of the season. Making the I-AA championship basically a "play-in" for a bowl game would seriously dilute it of its significance, IMHO--and would be paying way too much deference to I-A.

I agree...I don't think there's much to gain in this case...if the I-AA champ wins it'll just be a win over a mediocre I-A(which is great, but not earthshaking), and a loss just hurts the view of I-AA held by I-AA fans...

Seven Would Be Nice
November 2nd, 2006, 03:46 PM
Thats why 1-a and 1-aa teams play each other every year. To see how they match up.. and of course easier wins and $$ is involved.

Once the 1-aa NC is found out, they shouldn't see how they match up against some mid-level 1-a team. they should just keep it at the fact that they won a div-1 NC and that be the end of it.

AppStWill
November 2nd, 2006, 03:47 PM
All valid points....:thumbsup:

bison95
November 2nd, 2006, 04:00 PM
Why would the players care? They are NC's. That is like constolation games, they just turn into exhibitions!

GAD
November 2nd, 2006, 04:48 PM
The I-AA national champ has proven itself, if anything give the championship gave in Chatty more of a bowl like atmosphere.