PDA

View Full Version : Massey Composite Ratings (ALL Polls combined into rating)

underdawg
September 9th, 2014, 06:36 AM
http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm

jmrepak
September 9th, 2014, 08:23 AM
Not bad....My favorite part though....

Conference Ranking
1. Missouri Valley
2. Colonial
3. OH Valley
4. Big Sky
5. Big South xnodx xthumbsupx xnodx xthumbsupx xnodx xthumbsupx xnodx xthumbsupx Thanks VMI...
6. Southern

birdsflyhigh
September 9th, 2014, 08:50 AM
Massey's ratings, which is an average of 22-23 ratings systems, helps get rid of much of the bias of just looking at one individual poll. The thing is it's only 2 weeks into the season, but after a couple more weeks then most of the non-con season will be over and looking at the Massey should give us a very good gauge on the strength of the various FCS conferences.

What is pretty crazy right now though is when you look toward the bottom of the Massey page and you see the numerical ratings of the conferences. There is a HUGE gulf (about 20 points) between the No. 1 rated MVFC and the second rated conference and those below that. Once again, give this a couple more weeks to shake out then Massey should be a great source to see where the FCS landscape stands.

After the first couple of weeks I'm loving the ISU Redbirds in at #17 with #15 EIU coming to ISU's Hancock this weekend for Family day (which is a sellout). Should be a heck of a game. Think once EIU starts going against OVC teams that they'll right the ship and be a player in that conference.

knucklehead
September 9th, 2014, 10:25 AM

Conference Ranking
1. Missouri Valley
2. Colonial
3. OH Valley
4. Big Sky
5. Big South xnodx xthumbsupx xnodx xthumbsupx xnodx xthumbsupx xnodx xthumbsupx Thanks VMI...
6. Southern

I'm with ya on that. Now, anyone want Presby?
And I like LU on this ranking.

Anovafan
September 9th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Thanks for posting.

That #32 ranking for CSL (whatever it is) can't be right for Nova with Fordham at #13 and Towson at #12 and San Diego at #8????

BEAR
September 9th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Geez these new SLC teams and Nicholls are dragging the conference waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down...

The Cats
September 9th, 2014, 05:49 PM

Conference Ranking
1. Missouri Valley
2. Colonial
3. OH Valley
4. Big Sky
6. Southern

I put a little more credibility at this point in the season in Sagarin - (but it's too early in the year for valid rankings from either)

Current Sagarin Rankings

20 - OHIO VALLEY - (AA)= 54.71
21 - COLONIAL - (AA)= 54.35
22 - BIG SKY - (AA)= 53.59
23 - SOUTHERN - (AA)= 51.55 (with VMI)
24 - BIG SOUTH - (AA)= 48.74
25 - SOUTHLAND - (AA)= 48.04
26 - IVY LEAGUE - (AA)= 47.95

without ASU, GSU, & Elon, and with VMI ......now, you can do your dance again.....

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/2014/conference/

jmrepak
September 9th, 2014, 11:32 PM
I put a little more credibility at this point in the season in Sagarin - (but it's too early in the year for valid rankings from either)

Current Sagarin Rankings

20 - OHIO VALLEY - (AA)= 54.71
21 - COLONIAL - (AA)= 54.35
22 - BIG SKY - (AA)= 53.59
23 - SOUTHERN - (AA)= 51.55 (with VMI)
24 - BIG SOUTH - (AA)= 48.74
25 - SOUTHLAND - (AA)= 48.04
26 - IVY LEAGUE - (AA)= 47.95

without ASU, GSU, & Elon, and with VMI ......now, you can do your dance again.....

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/2014/conference/
Whatever helps you sleep at night but Sagarin includes all D1 and Massey has a narrowed window to FCS which is more relevant here, in my opinion.

rokamortis
September 10th, 2014, 04:03 AM

Remember, this is specifically about the Massey Composite - he takes a look at 22 different data sources (polls like AGS, Coaches, Sports Network and computer rankings like Massey and Sagarin) and compiles them into a master ranking. It helps to reduce any bias in any one source.

jmrepak
September 10th, 2014, 08:06 AM
Remember, this is specifically about the Massey Composite - he takes a look at 22 different data sources (polls like AGS, Coaches, Sports Network and computer rankings like Massey and Sagarin) and compiles them into a master ranking. It helps to reduce any bias in any one source.^^^THIS^^^

OL FU
September 10th, 2014, 08:27 AM
Whatever helps you sleep at night but .

Remy Martin, usually.

OL FU
September 10th, 2014, 08:34 AM
My problem with Sagarin this time of year is that way to much is based on strength of schedule. Play a bunch of BCS teams and you get rated higher.

The Cats
September 10th, 2014, 09:21 AM
Remember, this is specifically about the Massey Composite - he takes a look at 22 different data sources (polls like AGS, Coaches, Sports Network and computer rankings like Massey and Sagarin) and compiles them into a master ranking. It helps to reduce any bias in any one source.

Whatever helps you sleep at night but ....... yada, yada, yada, yada

UNH72Plus
September 10th, 2014, 09:22 AM
I think Massey does a decent job in rating the teams (UNH is currently ranked #12, which is probably about where they should be), but there are certainly some oddball systems thrown in. Something called the LAZ Index ranks UNH #60 in the FCS and in the total ranking they are behind 21 D2 teams, 1 D3 team, and 2 NAIA teams. In the same system, Georgia is #1 and Florida State is #22!

skinny_uncle
September 10th, 2014, 08:07 PM
I think Massey had a good idea with the composite ranking, but I agree that some of those polls he uses are way off base. Hopefully, those don't skew the final result much.

Wallace
September 11th, 2014, 01:29 AM
computer rankings take at least 4-5 games before being relevant