PDA

View Full Version : Citadel Bulldogs line was "going for knees" against No. 1 Florida State...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 7th, 2014, 11:43 PM
Mr. Hill obviously did not take common sense 101....

"I played in the game last night and also contributed to the injury list and that was just the mindset going into the game," Hill wrote in his post. "Me and my offensive line brothers preached to each other all week that we would be going for knees from the first play to the last play with the A-backs included.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11484395/victor-hill-says-citadel-bulldogs-were-going-florida-state-seminoles-knees

Go...gate
September 8th, 2014, 12:29 AM
I saw that as well. Army, Navy and Air Force have also been accused of it. The kid did apologize and he has apparently been disciplined as well.

citdog
September 8th, 2014, 12:53 AM
It's called a cut block and it's as old as the game of football. Cadets were called for ZERO penalties in the game against the seminoles. Everything they did was well within the rules.

superman7515
September 8th, 2014, 06:41 AM
There is a difference between a cut block and going for the knees and anyone who has played knows that. It's obvious that the players from Citadel didn't belong on the field with the Real World's Champions and that's why this cheapshot artist will be getting suspended per Mike Houston. Perhaps he can use that time off to reflect on the opportunity he missed to bask in the glow of radiance from Seminole Nation and remember that as a southern gentlemen he should genuflect to his betters next time.

Cleets
September 8th, 2014, 09:37 AM
Citadel Offensive lineman Victor Hill and his coach have apologized after Hill posted an online comment saying the Bulldogs line was "going for knees" against No. 1 Florida State (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/teams/page/FSU/florida-state-seminoles)in the Seminoles' 37-12 victory (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/gametracker/recap/NCAAF_20140906_CIT@FSU) Saturday.In the comments section of a Charleston Post and Courier story on Jimbo Fisher's postgame remarks (http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20140907/PC20/140909523/1032/florida-state-coach-jimbo-fisher-not-pleased-with-citadels-cut-blocks) on the Bulldogs' triple-option cut blocking, Hill wrote (using his Facebook account) that "I played in the game last night and also contributed to the injury list and that was just the mindset going into the game.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24700954/citadel-guard-bulldog-ol-was-going-for-knees-vs-florida-st

Bisonator
September 8th, 2014, 09:46 AM
That's not good. If the coaches knew about this and encouraged it heads should roll. There is no place in the game for intent to injure. Cut blocks are part of the game but to target the knees with intent to injure is not.

FormerPokeCenter
September 8th, 2014, 09:48 AM
You're not gonna get to a guy's knees on triple option blocking unless he stands straight up...Anybody got any film to post on this?

IBleedYellow
September 8th, 2014, 10:11 AM
The coach already has addressed this.

citdog
September 8th, 2014, 10:14 AM
You're not gonna get to a guy's knees on triple option blocking unless he stands straight up...Anybody got any film to post on this?

ZERO penalties called against The Citadel in the entire football game. Everything they did was within the rules.

AmsterBison
September 8th, 2014, 10:18 AM

Not sure I agree. Cut blocking was a huge part of blocking the triple-option when NDSU ran it. With the option, you seem to get a lot of 6-2 offensive lineman who block really, really low.

Also, I think it was Coastal Carolina (edit: Nope, think it was Furman) last year... on several pass plays, they had linemen taking a quick step back and then diving right at the knees. That I didn't understand... for one thing, it didn't work at all.

woffordgrad94
September 8th, 2014, 10:23 AM
ZERO penalties called against The Citadel in the entire football game. Everything they did was within the rules.

This. I'm not a Fan of The Citadel by any means, but if the refs found nothing wrong with how they were playing and blocking and tackling, then there must not have been a lot of real issues worth addressing. Case closed to me.

FormerPokeCenter
September 8th, 2014, 10:25 AM
Effective triple option blocking generally involves smaller, quicker offensive linemen, who are forward heavy, with most of their weight on their hands taking an over and up step to cut off the defender....the blocker keeps a flat back and tries to get on the defender's thigh or his hip. Unless the defender stands straight up, the blocker's not going to get to his knees...

The comments about forcing the defenders to use their hands was spot on...facing a triple option team, the defender has to stay low, keep his pads square to the LOS and use his hands to keep the blockers away from his hips....

Today's read options involve a much, much different technique than the triple option does. That blocking technique hasn't changed at all since Dinosaurs like me roamed the earth...

superman7515
September 8th, 2014, 10:25 AM
As I said in the original thread...
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?159492-Citadel-OL-trying-to-hurt-FSU-players

"There is a difference between a cut block and going for the knees and anyone who has played knows that. It's obvious that the players from Citadel didn't belong on the field with the Real World's Champions and that's why this cheapshot artist will be getting suspended per Mike Houston. Perhaps he can use that time off to reflect on the opportunity he missed to bask in the glow of radiance from Seminole Nation and remember that as a southern gentlemen he should genuflect to his betters next time."

BisonBacker
September 8th, 2014, 10:26 AM
Either way this last comment in the article doesn't bode well for the dogs

The bottom line is that whatever the intent of Hill's comments, when they go looking for a team to fill out their schedules, FBS coaches and athletic directors are going to hear Hill's lack of remorse over the Seminoles' "injury list" and see Goldman in his reported postgame walking boot long before they listen to either Hill's or Houston's attempts to repair the damage -- meaning the Citadel could have a much, much tougher job finding a lucrative paycheck game like Saturday's for the forseeable future.

woffordgrad94
September 8th, 2014, 10:29 AM
As I said in the original thread...
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?159492-Citadel-OL-trying-to-hurt-FSU-players

"There is a difference between a cut block and going for the knees and anyone who has played knows that. It's obvious that the players from Citadel didn't belong on the field with the Real World's Champions and that's why this cheapshot artist will be getting suspended per Mike Houston. Perhaps he can use that time off to reflect on the opportunity he missed to bask in the glow of radiance from Seminole Nation and remember that as a southern gentlemen he should genuflect to his betters next time."

This kind of arrogance is exactly why people hate FSU. The Criminoles will get no sympathy from many people, including me. F 'em. I still think FSU is mad that The Citadel kept the game closer than they expected and it wasn't 70-0. If you look at the score, The Citadel proved they did belong on the field with FSU. And I doubt FSU repeats.

citdog
September 8th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Either way this last comment in the article doesn't bode well for the dogs

We are scheduled out for the FBS games for about a decade.

superman7515
September 8th, 2014, 10:41 AM
The Criminoles will get no sympathy from many people, including me.

You don't need sympathy when you have victory.

I still think FSU is mad that The Citadel kept the game closer than they expected and it wasn't 70-0. If you look at the score, The Citadel proved they did belong on the field with FSU.

Not at all, just working a few kinks out before we face the real teams. Certainly no one from FSU is mad about the score, if anything, clearly this Citadel player is angry or he wouldn't have felt the need to spout off and claim that his attempts at intentionally injuring other players was some sort of moral victory for his school.[/QUOTE]

And I doubt FSU repeats.

True, it is difficult to repeat. For example, Wofford has never won one, so that makes it pretty hard to try for a repeat performance. But ya never know, that's why they play the games. xlolx

citdog
September 8th, 2014, 10:44 AM
You don't need sympathy when you have victory.

Not at all, just working a few kinks out before we face the real teams. Certainly no one from FSU is mad about the score, if anything, clearly this Citadel player is angry or he wouldn't have felt the need to spout off and claim that his attempts at intentionally injuring other players was some sort of moral victory for his school.

True, it is difficult to repeat. For example, Wofford has never won one, so that makes it pretty hard to try for a repeat performance. But ya never know, that's why they play the games. xlolx[/QUOTE]

Supey FSU is no PITT that's for sure.......

superman7515
September 8th, 2014, 10:47 AM
Supey FSU is no PITT that's for sure.......

True story. At least The Citadel scored, haha. The Blue Hens looked more like a Mountaire slaughterhouse than a colonial fighting bird.

woffordgrad94
September 8th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Delaware vs. FSU. Who do you root for, Superman?

superman7515
September 8th, 2014, 11:00 AM
FSU. I've been very open with the fact I didn't play for, attend, con-ed, etc either Delaware D1 institution, I just root for them (and all Delaware teams in general) because I'm from Delaware.

woffordgrad94
September 8th, 2014, 11:08 AM
FSU. I've been very open with the fact I didn't play for, attend, con-ed, etc either Delaware D1 institution, I just root for them (and all Delaware teams in general) because I'm from Delaware.
Okay. Your situation is different than mine then. Once I got that full Wofford scholarship, I felt like I had an obligation to forsake all other college programs and root only for the Terriers since they were so kind as to let me go there for free. I rooted for Clemson before that. I celebrated at nine years old as Clemson won a NC in 1981, only to find that it was tainted because Danny Ford and the program cheated to get it. One great thing about Wofford is that they never cheat. The Terriers may never win a NC but at least they run a 100% Undisputedly clean program in every sport...and being honest is better to me than winning dirty titles.

ElCid
September 8th, 2014, 11:25 AM
I think the young man's comments were poorly chosen. I really don't think he was out to injure, but just make sure they occupied the heads of FSU. He may have taken shameful credit after the fact since FSU had injuries, but I have little sympathy for FSU. If it is legal deal with it. If it shouldn't be, change the rules. I don't think the comments made by the FSU players or coach were motivated by the outcome, but certainly, I have seen some posts by some rabid FSU fans were obviously mad they at they did not run up the score. This is an easy outlet for them and the young man played to their designs perfectly.

FormerPokeCenter
September 8th, 2014, 11:55 AM
Sheeee-it, as my old line coach used to say: "If yew don't want knee injuries when yore playin ah triple option team, it's simple. Yew need to learn how to stay low and play technique..."

citdog
September 8th, 2014, 11:57 AM
Posting on social media cost Cadet Hill two games. Sexual Assault and theft of crab legs gets you NOTHING at free seafood university.

PAllen
September 8th, 2014, 12:07 PM
Posting on social media cost Cadet Hill two games. Sexual Assault and theft of crab legs gets you NOTHING at free seafood university.

This. The Cadet was stupid for posting such a thing, but give me a break, it's Florida State. Boo Freakin' Hoo.

Apphole
September 8th, 2014, 01:27 PM
They're no fElon, but that's dirty. I hope the whole ACC black lists citadel.

citdog
September 8th, 2014, 01:39 PM
They're no fElon, but that's dirty. I hope the whole ACC black lists citadel.

Full of piss and moonshine after finally finding a team app could beat I see. At least we hung with FSU and didn't get embarrassed like y'all did in week one.

FormerPokeCenter
September 8th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Cit, you need to stop disrespecting the vaunted Campbell Camels, damnit! They gave Georgia State all they could handle a while back...

It should be interesting to see how the mighty have fallen...er....how App State now matches up with their new, logical, in conference peer and rival.

Saint3333
September 8th, 2014, 01:53 PM
Good luck scheduling in the future Citadel.

The blocks are within the rules, but perhaps the rules need to be adjusted. Rules evolve over time, and this may be just the catalyst to do so.

citdog
September 8th, 2014, 01:55 PM

The blocks are within the rules, but perhaps the rules need to be adjusted. Rules evolve over time, and this may be just the catalyst to do so.

TOUCHDOWN THE CITADEL!

CHIP72
September 8th, 2014, 02:15 PM
Citadel Offensive lineman Victor Hill and his coach have apologized after Hill posted an online comment saying the Bulldogs line was "going for knees" against No. 1 Florida State (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/teams/page/FSU/florida-state-seminoles)in the Seminoles' 37-12 victory (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/gametracker/recap/NCAAF_20140906_CIT@FSU) Saturday.In the comments section of a Charleston Post and Courier story on Jimbo Fisher's postgame remarks (http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20140907/PC20/140909523/1032/florida-state-coach-jimbo-fisher-not-pleased-with-citadels-cut-blocks) on the Bulldogs' triple-option cut blocking, Hill wrote (using his Facebook account) that "I played in the game last night and also contributed to the injury list and that was just the mindset going into the game.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24700954/citadel-guard-bulldog-ol-was-going-for-knees-vs-florida-st

I guess that's what happens when you can't whip their fannies. ;)

CID1990
September 8th, 2014, 02:16 PM
the one significant leg injury to a DL that I saw was not the result of a cut block. They replayed it a couple times.

The entire game is on film from start to finish in great detail. If there was dirty play we'll see it ad nauseum on ESPN.

CID1990
September 8th, 2014, 02:17 PM

How'd yall do against Michigan?

Apphole
September 8th, 2014, 02:18 PM
Full of piss and moonshine after finally finding a team app could beat I see. At least we hung with FSU and didn't get embarrassed like y'all did in week one.

Why change the subject? We were talking about a butt-hurt JV player who was ordered to injure his opponent.

That stinks worse than Citdog's knob after a night with the new cadets.

SCPALADIN
September 8th, 2014, 02:19 PM
Okay. Your situation is different than mine then. Once I got that full Wofford scholarship, I felt like I had an obligation to forsake all other college programs and root only for the Terriers since they were so kind as to let me go there for free. I rooted for Clempson before that. I celebrated at nine years old as Clemson won a NC in 1981, only to find that it was tainted because Danny Ford and the program cheated to get it. One great thing about Wofford is that they never cheat. The Terriers may never win a NC but at least they run a 100% Undisputedly clean program in every sport...and being honest is better to me than winning dirty titles.

Fixed it for you xsalutex

citdog
September 8th, 2014, 02:32 PM
Why change the subject? We were talking about a butt-hurt JV player who was ordered to injure his opponent.

Projecting a bit there apphole?

- - - Updated - - -

Projecting a bit there apphole? If you want to come out of the closet just go ahead and do so.

Saint3333
September 8th, 2014, 02:41 PM

About like I expected, got down early, couldn't contain their 6'5"WR/TE and lots of missed assignments by our young secondary in rush defense. We did learn that we have some good young talent, started 8 newcomers or redshirt freshman and got to see a solid backup QB that could start down the line as soon as this year.

We did get paid double for our efforts though so that's a positive.

It really is great seeing the talent we're able to bring in the last couple of classes, I hope you get a chance to watch them grow, should be a pretty good team a year or two from now.

CID1990
September 8th, 2014, 02:45 PM

I thought you guys were FBS now. Still hanging around the 9th graders trying to be cool because you still dont quite fit in with the varsity, eh?

And yeah- Houston totally ordered kids to try to hurt people. You're an idiot troll.

citdog
September 8th, 2014, 02:48 PM
About like I expected, got down early, couldn't contain their 6'5"WR/TE and lots of missed assignments by our young secondary in rush defense. We did learn that we have some good young talent, started 8 newcomers or redshirt freshman and got to see a solid backup QB that could start down the line as soon as this year.

We did get paid double for our efforts though so that's a positive.

It really is great seeing the talent we're able to bring in the last couple of classes, I hope you get a chance to watch them grow, should be a pretty good team a year or two from now.

http://usbacklash.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Iraqi-Defense-Minister.jpg

FormerPokeCenter
September 8th, 2014, 02:50 PM
So that's where Jay Carney ended up....

ElCid
September 8th, 2014, 04:03 PM

Even more funny is how did Michigan do against Notre Dame? App lost to some serious losers.

Cleets
September 8th, 2014, 04:06 PM
I thought you guys were FBS now. Still hanging around the 9th graders trying to be cool because you still dont quite fit in with the varsity, eh?

This actually made me laugh ^ hard
Classic CID1990 humor

bison137
September 8th, 2014, 04:19 PM
This. I'm not a Fan of The Citadel by any means, but if the refs found nothing wrong with how they were playing and blocking and tackling, then there must not have been a lot of real issues worth addressing. Case closed to me.

Citadel's coach disagrees about there being no issues worth addressing: ""In no way does one person's words reflect the philosophy and mindset of our program, players and coaches," Houston's statement read in part. "I am very disappointed in Victor Hill's choice of words which do not convey the way I feel the game of football should be played or coached. I have addressed the matter with Victor and he will be disciplined accordingly."

FSU had three DL injured in the first half. Following the game, Hill said: ""I played in the game last night and also contributed to the injury list and that was just the mindset going into the game. Me and my offensive line brothers preached to each other all week that we would be going for knees from the first play to the last play with the A-backs included. We saw it as if they won't respect us for blocking them then we'll make them respect us for cutting them!"

BEAR
September 8th, 2014, 04:22 PM
Why does it remind me of this:xlolx

[just before Johnny fights Daniel in the tournament]
Kreese (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0184392/): Sweep the leg.
[Johnny stares at him in shock]
Kreese (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0184392/): Do you have a problem with that?
Johnny Lawrence (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0951420/): No, Sensei.
Kreese (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0184392/): No mercy.

CID1990
September 8th, 2014, 05:04 PM
Citadel's coach disagrees about there being no issues worth addressing: ""In no way does one person's words reflect the philosophy and mindset of our program, players and coaches," Houston's statement read in part. "I am very disappointed in Victor Hill's choice of words which do not convey the way I feel the game of football should be played or coached. I have addressed the matter with Victor and he will be disciplined accordingly."

FSU had three DL injured in the first half. Following the game, Hill said: ""I played in the game last night and also contributed to the injury list and that was just the mindset going into the game. Me and my offensive line brothers preached to each other all week that we would be going for knees from the first play to the last play with the A-backs included. We saw it as if they won't respect us for blocking them then we'll make them respect us for cutting them!"

He's right. That crap is for FBS. We're supposed to be better than that, and it needs to be hammered home- especially to Hill.

walliver
September 8th, 2014, 09:45 PM
He is apparently suspended indefinitely.

Sometimes young people and social media don't go together well. He likely was upset by the game, but bragging about participating in injuring other players is not acceptable at any level, except WWE.

If he was serious with his comments, he probably should give up football, or transfer to FSU.

CID1990
September 8th, 2014, 09:56 PM
Tim Brando on his show said that it was legal, the kid apologized, and then told a FSU caller (they are doing a lot of whining) that if he's that sensitive to some teenager's tweet that he shouldn't be calling adult radio shows. That about sums it up, I think.

Let's not forget that ALL of this started with the FSU coach and others whining about our blocking schemes. Sounds like they were making excuses for how our piddly little offense produced against them. I hope they drop in the standings because of their performance.

Whatever coach Houston decides to give Hill will be appropriate.

woffordgrad94
September 9th, 2014, 12:07 AM
Okay. I understand now that a kid actually posted online that he tried to hurt players. What an idiot! I can be pretty emotionally at times, but I would never be that dumb! He deserves his suspension.

citdog
September 9th, 2014, 12:15 AM
Okay. I understand now that a kid actually posted online that he tried to hurt players. What an idiot! I can be pretty emotionally at times, but I would never be that dumb! He deserves his suspension.

Take one of these and stuff it up your shawn graves

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/ProductImageCompressAll300/A0TR_1_20130603144208705.jpg

Go...gate
September 9th, 2014, 12:50 AM

That is the problem. Hell, you want your kids to play their backsides off, but, as Lombardi used to say, "fairly, cleanly, within the rules". Hill earned his discipline. Only a two-game suspension?

tjamz
September 9th, 2014, 12:59 AM

Not a ton called against the Saints during bounty-gate either if I recall correctly.

citdog
September 9th, 2014, 01:02 AM
Only a two-game suspension?

You don't think that's enough for a stupid social media post? FSU players commit sexual assault and steal seafood and they not only get ZERO punishment they get awarded the heisman trophy.

citdog
September 9th, 2014, 01:35 AM
Not a ton called against the Saints during bounty-gate either if I recall correctly.

ZERO is way less than "not a ton"

tjamz
September 9th, 2014, 02:19 AM
So if it were 11 games into the season and there were minimal penalties called (some happen unintentionally or out of character so you can't count them) or at least the normal rate but there was a higher rate of injury and he made this statement with regard to the whole season would it still be ok? I'm not justifying anything fsu has/hasn't done.

citdog
September 9th, 2014, 02:32 AM
So if it were 11 games into the season and there were minimal penalties called (some happen unintentionally or out of character so you can't count them) or at least the normal rate but there was a higher rate of injury and he made this statement with regard to the whole season would it still be ok? I'm not justifying anything fsu has/hasn't done.

A 20 year old kid made a stupid post on the internet. I'm older than him and I do this several times daily. He apologized and is suspended. What do you want The Citadel to do? Shoot him?

tjamz
September 9th, 2014, 02:48 AM
No, he got exactly what he should have. I'm not asking for any more than that. If there were more involved than just him they should all be suspended. If it came from a coach that coach should be fired.

citdog
September 9th, 2014, 03:00 AM
No, he got exactly what he should have. I'm not asking for any more than that. If there were more involved than just him they should all be suspended. If it came from a coach that coach should be fired.

With no evidence that he did anything but play a great and penalty free football game and then post something stupid on the interwebs after it was over. If we are suspending players for stupid things they post on the internet there are going to be quite a few missing ballgames this season.... I support Coach Houston and whatever he decides. We hired him to make decisions and he has made one.

superman7515
September 9th, 2014, 04:47 AM
If we are suspending players for stupid things they post on the internet there are going to be quite a few missing ballgames this season....

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvz1e2qu3U1qc63km.jpg

PAllen
September 9th, 2014, 08:17 AM
A 20 year old kid made a stupid post on the internet. I'm older than him and I do this several times daily....

Yes, yes you do, and we love you for it. :D

PAllen
September 9th, 2014, 08:19 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvz1e2qu3U1qc63km.jpg

Yeah, be careful what you retweet. Oh well, years ago, and we would have lost anyway, so onward to salvaging this season.

344Johnson
September 9th, 2014, 08:53 AM

To me rate of injury doesn't matter.... Was his play within the rules of the game? If so... No problem. He'll learn from his suspension what to say.

I'd be lying if I said I never lost my temper and tried to hurt someone if I felt like they were being disrespectful (I'm looking at you Minot.... Don't leave your starters in late during a blowout!)

Ohhh and Florida State blows. I'm looking forward to when the Irish rumble with them in a month or two.

CID1990
September 9th, 2014, 08:58 AM
Again,

The entire game is on film with multiple angles.

If he had been trying to hurt somebody it would already be burning up YouTube. He said something stupid and he's going to pay for it because that's how we do things in FCS (usually). FSU fans can continue to whine but there are no sympathy points with Sagarin.

Smitty
September 9th, 2014, 09:03 AM

Aren't you still technically JV yourself? Being in the little 5 after all...

tjamz
September 9th, 2014, 09:06 AM
To me rate of injury doesn't matter.... Was his play within the rules of the game? If so... No problem. He'll learn from his suspension what to say.

I'd be lying if I said I never lost my temper and tried to hurt someone if I felt like they were being disrespectful (I'm looking at you Minot.... Don't leave your starters in late during a blowout!)

Ohhh and Florida State blows. I'm looking forward to when the Irish rumble with them in a month or two.

In high school we sent a dozen dead black roses to Cavalier before we played that season with a card reading "rest in piece". We were essentially told if any injuries happened that appeared to be deliberate the ndhsaa would make us forfeit the win.

walliver
September 9th, 2014, 09:29 AM
What a lot of these kids don't realize, is that when posting on the 'net, your message goes out to a lot more than your target audience. He was trying to act tough for his friends back home, and never realized that he would end up speaking for his program in the press.

Interestingly, video reviews have shown that not a single of the three injuries was related to a cut block.
source: http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20140908/PC20/140909449/1032/citadel-lineman-suspended-indefinitely-for-comments-after-fsu-game

CID1990
September 9th, 2014, 10:22 AM
What a lot of these kids don't realize, is that when posting on the 'net, your message goes out to a lot more than your target audience. He was trying to act tough for his friends back home, and never realized that he would end up speaking for his program in the press.

Interestingly, video reviews have shown that not a single of the three injuries was related to a cut block.
source: http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20140908/PC20/140909449/1032/citadel-lineman-suspended-indefinitely-for-comments-after-fsu-game

Exactly. I knew that the minute this thing came out that they would be going over that video with a fine toothed comb and that they would find nothing. Hill was being a dumb kid making the comments but there is no evidence to show that the players were trying to hurt people. They played within the rules, they exposed FSU weaknesses, and now the FSU coach and faithful are whining about it. All that said, we'd be *****ting too if it had been a FSU player making the comment about us. The irritaing thing to me in this is all the ignorance and manufactured outrage, which is pretty much par for the course in EVERYTHING these days.

PAllen
September 9th, 2014, 10:52 AM
The irritaing thing to me in this is all the ignorance and manufactured outrage, which is pretty much par for the course in EVERYTHING these days.

Where's the good Reverend Sharpton when you need him? :D

FormerPokeCenter
September 9th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Is there any video of the game available online??

ElCid
September 9th, 2014, 11:11 AM

I don't know if there is but for those who have Sports South, it comes on at 1130PM on Wednesday again.

bdog
September 9th, 2014, 12:02 PM
I don't know if there is but for those who have Sports South, it comes on at 1130PM on Wednesday again.

ESPN 3

Go...gate
September 9th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Yes, yes you do, and we love you for it. :D

+1

Sandlapper Spike
September 9th, 2014, 05:56 PM

You can watch "cut ups" via this YouTube clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMTTX9VV05A

CID1990
September 9th, 2014, 07:12 PM
You can watch "cut ups" via this YouTube clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMTTX9VV05A

No pun intended

FormerPokeCenter
September 9th, 2014, 07:22 PM
I didn't watch the whole thing, but I saw enough to confirm that the Citadel only did what EVERY other triple option team does....they try to get to the defender's hip....

That's good clean football....I only saw one block that even looked remotely close to being down around the knees....and it was a check block to the backside....

If the defenders stay low and play technique, nobody gets hurt.......

eaglewraith
September 9th, 2014, 07:41 PM
Effective triple option blocking generally involves smaller, quicker offensive linemen, who are forward heavy, with most of their weight on their hands taking an over and up step to cut off the defender....the blocker keeps a flat back and tries to get on the defender's thigh or his hip. Unless the defender stands straight up, the blocker's not going to get to his knees...

The comments about forcing the defenders to use their hands was spot on...facing a triple option team, the defender has to stay low, keep his pads square to the LOS and use his hands to keep the blockers away from his hips....

Today's read options involve a much, much different technique than the triple option does. That blocking technique hasn't changed at all since Dinosaurs like me roamed the earth...

Holy **** you're the only one I've seen that understands what a cut block truly is.

If that kid thought he should be diving at knees, then he's ****ing terrible at playing OL and Citadel is better off with him on the bench.

Watching Georgia Tech a lot, they think that cut blocking is flopping on the ground in front of a defender and expecting them to fall over. Diving for the knees would be an improvement in their case.

CID1990
September 9th, 2014, 07:45 PM
Apparently the FSU coach thinks they should only play teams that stand up straight and try to block their gazillion pound 7 foot DLs

walliver
September 9th, 2014, 08:41 PM
If three of their DL's got hurt, it is the fault of their coaches and trainers.

I have seen many Wofford games against Citadel and GSU, and extra ambulances are NOT required. The triple option is not the dangerous knee-killing offense people make it out to be.

Last year, Samford lost two DL's on the same play against us, but both were injured in a pile, not by cut blocks.

superman7515
September 9th, 2014, 08:42 PM
They played within the rules, they exposed FSU weaknesses, and now the FSU coach and faithful are whining about it.

Coach Fisher defended The Citadel, so I'm not sure what whining you're suggesting he did.

Fisher did not insinuate any foul play on the Bulldogs' part after Saturday's win, but he did say he plans to avoid scheduling future games against teams that rely on cut blocking."Nothing illegal about it, but that's just football," Fisher said Saturday. "I'd rather play more conventional teams just because the chance of the injuries that occur."
Fisher maintained that stance Tuesday after having watched film and heard Hill's comments.
"That's how that offense blocks. We cut people, too. That offense cuts," he said. "I don't think they were deliberately trying to do stuff. There are always questionable blocks when you play a team like that. A lot of our guys who got injured, people fell into them. They weren't all cut blocks, things like that. There were a couple that were questionable, but that's always in every game. I don't think they're coached that way and I don't think their players are that way. I don't buy all that.
"I've talked to their coach, and we had a great conversation. They don't teach that, and I don't think that's indicative of them. They have a great program and things happen and kids do things. If you hold a whole program hostage to what one young man says all the time, then it's like if you have 10 brothers and sisters and one guy's a knucklehead, he does something or says something, your whole family is tainted. That's not how they're coached."

CID1990
September 9th, 2014, 10:47 PM
Coach Fisher defended The Citadel, so I'm not sure what whining you're suggesting he did.

He was quoted as saying that he would like to play more "conventional" teams, which was the article in the P&C that Hill originally responded to.

To his credit he did come out in the subsequent article today and give it the "no big deal" treatment. But he's still saying they won't schedule teams that rely on cut blocking..... which is interesting considering that FSU plays in the only major FBS conference that features a team that does just that.

Claiming that you want to avoid scheduling teams that don't play in a way that makes it easier for you to beat them is whining.

penguinpower
September 10th, 2014, 06:42 AM
The reason I hate the triple option, veer, whatever you want to call it is because of this blocking scheme. You cannot ask a player not to hit the knees in a cut block it is just going to happen. Intent to injure is much different.

citdog
September 12th, 2014, 09:06 PM
Who was playing dirty again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89kcz2j7V50&feature=youtu.be

Crab Legs Winston punching a The Citadel Bulldog for no reason. Our Cadet tweeted something and is suspended indefinitely. Winston DID something and as usual will suffer no consequences.

superman7515
September 12th, 2014, 10:45 PM
He patted him on the helmet and said "Good play fine sir, way to put forth a maximum effort, your parents should be proud." All despite the fact it was clearly a late hit with helmet-to-helmet contact on a defenseless quarterback. How anyone could take something negative away from that towards Jaboo is beyond me.

IBleedYellow
September 12th, 2014, 11:36 PM

Watch GameDay tomorrow.

superman7515
September 13th, 2014, 12:09 AM

Watch GameDay tomorrow.

BAHAHAAHAHA!

http://i.imgur.com/lPBJXJl.png

FormerPokeCenter
September 13th, 2014, 12:10 AM

Watch GameDay tomorrow.

Oh, that's fantastic!

ElCid
September 13th, 2014, 08:27 AM

Watch GameDay tomorrow.

I think I just saw it. Very funny.xlolx

kdinva
September 13th, 2014, 08:28 AM
Who was playing dirty again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89kcz2j7V50&feature=youtu.be

Crab Legs Winston punching a The Citadel Bulldog for no reason. Our Cadet tweeted something and is suspended indefinitely. Winston DID something and as usual will suffer no consequences.

There will be consequences...........Publix will give the under-nourished Winston a $300 gift card.....

FormerPokeCenter
September 13th, 2014, 08:43 AM
I can see a sign that looks similar on the left , in front of a three-peat sign....

Bogus Megapardus
September 13th, 2014, 09:01 AM
If he had been trying to hurt somebody it would already be burning up YouTube.

No, he already said he was trying to hurt someone, as was the entire Citadel line. A video would show only that Citadel had nothing even close to the wherewithal it would have needed to succeed in doing so.

FormerPokeCenter
September 13th, 2014, 09:26 AM
The video shows the Citadel guys firing off with flat backs....I only see one block that was low, and it was a backside check block, and not a traditional option block...

NoDak 4 Ever
September 13th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Didn't get enough airtime but there was a "CITADEL CUT BLOCKED MY OTHER SIGN" sign on GameDay today.

IBleedYellow
September 13th, 2014, 05:49 PM
It was mine, on the left side right by the Bisonville Zach Vraa Fan club

CID1990
September 13th, 2014, 06:52 PM
No, he already said he was trying to hurt someone, as was the entire Citadel line. A video would show only that Citadel had nothing even close to the wherewithal it would have needed to succeed in doing so.

Which means he was running his mouth

Regardless of what the haters have to say

Non issue