PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Pick 'em - Week 3

Pages : [1] 2

DFW HOYA
September 6th, 2014, 10:10 PM
One of the more difficult weekends of recent PL football is over and done. On to week three:

Central Connecticut (1-0) at Holy Cross (1-1)
Rhode Island (0-1) at Fordham (1-1)
Lehigh (0-1) at New Hampshire (0-1)
Robert Morris (0-2) at Lafayette (0-1)
Georgetown (0-2) at Marist (0-2)
Colgate (0-1) at Delaware (1-1)

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 6th, 2014, 10:14 PM
First thought, maybe Colgate can save face for the PL. The Raiders and Mountain Hawks are the only teams that can really "help" the league next week imo. Everyone else will likely be favored except Georgetown. The Hoyas might even have a shot...

Pard4Life
September 6th, 2014, 11:31 PM
One of the more difficult weekends of recent PL football is over and done. On to week three:

Colgate (0-1) at Delaware (0-1 pending Sunday's game with Del State)

You mean someone has to win the Lafayette and Georgetown games?

Pard4Life
September 6th, 2014, 11:33 PM
PL power rankings:

1) Fordham
2) Lehigh
3) Colgate
4) Bucknell
5) Holy Cross
6) Lafayette
7) Georgetown

Pard4Life
September 6th, 2014, 11:34 PM
So, who wants to pay $450 on stub hub to see that crap on November 22? And crap does not solely mean Lehigh for a change.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 6th, 2014, 11:39 PM
I look at the Colgate-Delaware game in the same light as Lehigh-JMU. I think Colgate has a very legitimate shot to win IF they can do the little things. Their QB MUST play better though. Overall, their game against Ball State was about as respectable as one could have hoped for.

Robert Morris is battled tested (EKU/ North Dakota) so Lafayette won't present anything the Colonials haven't seen imo....

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 6th, 2014, 11:48 PM
PL power rankings:

1) Fordham
2) Lehigh
3) Colgate
4) Bucknell
5) Holy Cross
6) Lafayette
7) Georgetown

I'd go based on snap judgements...

1. Bucknell - by default and the fact I felt they were a 7/8 win because of their schedule
2. Lehigh - some good, some bad. A competitive game against UNH wouldn't be the worst thing...
3. Lafayette -Did not look good on offense. BUT, they played a Top 25 (imo) team on the road and had their chances to win despite a lot of ugliness...
4. Fordham - 50-6 is terrible, they are a battered bunch....
5. Colgate - Good showing against Ball State. Beat Delaware!!
6. Holy Cross - Meh, through two games they look like a typical HC team. They need to beat CCSU. The barometer comes in two weeks against Harvard. Pujals continues to play well....
7. Georgetown - their best shot at a win comes next week....

Sader87
September 6th, 2014, 11:53 PM
PL power rankings:

1) Fordham
2) Lehigh
3) Colgate
4) Bucknell
5) Holy Cross
6) Lafayette
7) Georgetown

Again #2-6 is a crap-shoot, even after 2 weeks.....I'd go:

1. Fordham
2. Lafayette
3. Lehigh
4. Holy Cross
5. Bucknell
6. Colgate
7. GTown

I could just as easily rank them:

1. Fordham
2t Lafayette
2t Lehigh
2t Holy Cross
2t Bucknell
2t Colgate
7. Georgetown

Sader87
September 7th, 2014, 12:02 AM
I'd go based on snap judgements...

1. Bucknell - by default and the fact I felt they were a 7/8 win because of their schedule
2. Lehigh - some good, some bad. A competitive game against UNH wouldn't be the worst thing...
3. Lafayette -Did not look good on offense. BUT, they played a Top 25 (imo) team on the road and had their chances to win despite a lot of ugliness...
4. Fordham - 50-6 is terrible, they are a battered bunch....
5. Colgate - Good showing against Ball State. Beat Delaware!!
6. Holy Cross - Meh, through two games they look like a typical HC team. They need to beat CCSU. The barometer comes in two weeks against Harvard. Pujals continues to play well....
7. Georgetown - their best shot at a win comes next week....

These are probably the worst rankings in the history of PL rankings.....

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 7th, 2014, 12:04 AM
These are probably the worst rankings in the history of PL rankings.....

I beg to differ....10-1 on my PL picks so far this season...damn you Lafayette!!

Sader87
September 7th, 2014, 12:07 AM
11-0 bitch....check CROSSPORTS.....just bustin' but there's NO WAY Fordham is the 4th best team in the PL......who knows? The league is very jumbled in the middle....

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 7th, 2014, 12:11 AM
11-0 bitch....check CROSSPORTS.....just bustin' but there's NO WAY Fordham is the 4th best team in the PL......who knows? The league is very jumbled in the middle....

If Nebrich is not healthy, if their OL is a mess and the defense is not improved they may very well end up "struggling" relative to expectations. The Rams schedule is no joke, @ Lehigh, @ Bucknell, @ HC and @ Army to finish out the year.

Either way, 50-6 is truly horrific. You can't ignore a loss like that...

Their game against URI could be interesting. The Blue Rams faced one of the best QB's in country, Rakeem Cato, today. Marshall in general has awesome skill guys and a better defense than Fordham. URI won't be in awe of anything Fordham presents...

Sader87
September 7th, 2014, 12:16 AM
Fordham really isn't that good....they really weren't last year either....a nice, solid offense with no defense but they are the best team on paper in the PL this year.

bonarae
September 7th, 2014, 02:03 AM
Central Connecticut (1-1) at Holy Cross (1-1) - tough game to call.
Rhode Island (0-2) at Fordham (1-1)
Colgate (0-1) at Delaware (0-1 pending Sunday's game with Del State)

Gangtackle11
September 7th, 2014, 04:49 AM
Colgate (0-1) at Delaware (0-1)

carney2
September 7th, 2014, 09:36 AM
Central Connecticut at Holy Cross - That CCSU win over Towson is intriguing, but I still think the 'saders prevail.

Rhode Island at Fordham - So now we know that the Rams are not anywhere close to a prime time team. They're still the best in the Patriot League however - and a lot better than these pretender Rams.

Lehigh at New Hampshire - Looking for synonyms for rout.

Robert Morris at Lafayette - Two bad teams. Just thinking that the Pards are bad at a higher level - and have some hope of coming around.

Georgetown at Marist - The Hoyas' last best hope for a win. Would feel guilty not picking them at least once this year. Actually, given this week's crappy schedule, this may be one of the more competitive games.

Colgate at Delaware - Still searching for my thesaurus. Let's see...rout...begins with r...ah, there it is - beating debacle, drubbing, embarrassment. We're getting closer.

RichH2
September 7th, 2014, 10:09 AM
Shambles.
Fordham battered.Nebrich ???
Gate. needs a QB
Pards need an OL,WRs
LU. needs a D
Cross. avg all around, meh team
BU, solid all around,cupcake sched,if QB is real
GU. needs everything
Expect someone will put together a run but not a banner year so far for PL.
I'll wait for injury info before picking.

carney2
September 7th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Shambles.
Fordham battered.Nebrich ??? Should be more than Nebrich. What about that other transfer QB? What about all those preseason All-Americans? Rams season officially over.

Gate. needs a QB Need a lot more than a QB. Biddle left the cupboard bare.

Pards need an OL,WRs WR help may be sitting on the bench. OL seems to be an unending unsolvable problem as it enters year 5.

LU. needs a D Saw the game. Need more than a D.

Cross. avg all around, meh team Pretty much nails it.

BU, solid all around,cupcake sched,if QB is real They're nothing until they play someone.

GU. needs everything

Expect someone will put together a run but not a banner year so far for PL.
I'll wait for injury info before picking.

What a system. Need a "longer" message to get it to post. Post, dammit!

RichH2
September 7th, 2014, 11:30 AM
:) Yeah,forgot we need a FG kicker also.

Franks Tanks
September 7th, 2014, 11:34 AM
Again #2-6 is a crap-shoot, even after 2 weeks.....I'd go:

1. Fordham
2. Lafayette
3. Lehigh
4. Holy Cross
5. Bucknell
6. Colgate
7. GTown

I could just as easily rank them:

1. Fordham
2t Lafayette
2t Lehigh
2t Holy Cross
2t Bucknell
2t Colgate
7. Georgetown

I guess an optimist could say that Lafayette played about as poorly as possible on offense, and was -3 in the turnover battle, and still had a chance to beat a solid team on the road. We however have our top two RB's banged up and need to fix so much on offense. Fordham goes with Neibrich. Their back up is decent, but they are a very different team without their stud QB (as we all are). I am warming up to Colgate quite a bit. They look like a typical tough Colgate club with a bit more creativity on offense and less conservative overall without Biddle at the helm.

Sader87
September 7th, 2014, 11:52 AM
Not to toot our own horn, but I will of course. HC after all the sturm and drang of the first two weeks is looking halfway decent. Could easily be 2-0 (just as easily 0-2 I know) but played Albany well there and beat a Morgan St team yesterday that is better than people realize imo.

The defense looks much improved overall....not great mind you, but much improved. Offense is a little dinged up at RB, but the O-Line looks bettah too. The receiver corps looks to be promising as well.

Again, not proclaiming league superiority in any way but I think HC can be in the mix this year.

PAllen
September 7th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Central Connecticut (1-0) at Holy Cross (1-1) - Did Holy Cross have that bad of a hangover or are they just not that good? I'm going with not that good.
Rhode Island (0-1) at Fordham (1-1) If the Rams can't win this, god help us. The ones from the Bronx that is.
Lehigh (0-1) at New Hampshire (0-1) Based on what I saw of UNH against Toledo, and what I saw of LU against JMU, New Hampshire is going to light us up. We'll score, but I expect UNH to double us up with an over/under of around 100.
Robert Morris (0-2) at Lafayette (0-1) LC better win this. A lot of the shine of 150 is coming off.
Georgetown (0-2) at Marist (0-2) Well, ehh... next.
Colgate (0-1) at Delaware (0-1 pending Sunday's game with Del State) I'd love for Colgate to pull this off, but I just don't see it. The league is definitely still down this year.

Sader87
September 7th, 2014, 01:55 PM
" Did Holy Cross have that bad of a hangover or are they just not that good? I'm going with not that good."

Laugh if you must but Morgan St is not that bad a squad.....very good running attack....nearly won at Eastern Michigan and could have won yesterday. They'll do well in the MEAC.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 7th, 2014, 02:19 PM
3-2 last week. Reed's struggles really surprised me, and I don't feel bad about "missing" HC vs. Morgan State because that could have gone either way.

Fordham's evisceration needs to make everyone pause.

bison137
September 7th, 2014, 02:25 PM
" Did Holy Cross have that bad of a hangover or are they just not that good? I'm going with not that good."

Laugh if you must but Morgan St is not that bad a squad.....very good running attack....nearly won at Eastern Michigan and could have won yesterday. They'll do well in the MEAC.

But Eastern Michigan is a really bad team. Not sure how much a close loss to EMU is worth.

jayhawkdaddy
September 7th, 2014, 04:02 PM
Holy Cross (1-1)
Fordham (1-1)
New Hampshire (0-1)
Lafayette (0-1)
Georgetown (0-2)
Delaware (0-1 pending Sunday's game with Del State)

Bogus Megapardus
September 7th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Without committing just yet to my picks, I'm concerned about the condition of RBs Scheuerman and Mayfield for Lafayette. Not possible to make a prediction for Pards without knowing. Marist played Sacred Heart tougher than did the Pards; Georgetown enjoys little prospect in this one. UNH will thoroughly rise n' spin the Soiled Skivvies, from what I saw of those Unwashed Underpants vs. James Madison. Cross might not have enough vs. a CConn squad that's looking solid. Fordham had better win or else the whole PL sux worse than everyone sez. I'll give Colgate the chance for the upset, though.

citdog
September 7th, 2014, 04:18 PM
Fordham had better win or else the whole PL sux worse than everyone sez.

I think it sucks a lot worse.

Bogus Megapardus
September 7th, 2014, 04:22 PM

Of course you do.

We'll take a look at the PL vs. SoCon record at the end of the season. Or even now . . . xnodx

Sader87
September 7th, 2014, 05:35 PM
Is it just me or does it seem that when either or both of the L's are not strong, in their fans opinion, the PL is terrible that year? xnodx

The league is not terribly strong this year but it really nevah has been (top to bottom anyway). The league is getting stronger with scholarships. There will be a lot of growing pains but it's headed in the right direction.

Fordham walked into a "perfect storm" yesterday.....Villanova looks very good this year, outplayed and basically blew the game at Syracuse last week and the Cats were looking to exact some revenge from last year's game in the Bronx. Nebrich may not be at 100% either. They'll probably be just fine this season.

BucBisonAtLarge
September 7th, 2014, 05:40 PM
Holy Cross
Fordham
UNH
Lafayette
Georgetown
Colgate

RichH2
September 7th, 2014, 05:43 PM
Partly true 87 but not this time around. Just look at the results from this week. Preseason top dog destroyed is the headline not Cross edges Morgan. Last years champ embarrasses themselves. LU blows a win. BU beats up on a cupcake and GU gets creamed by a PFL team. Best that can be said for last week is Gate had a bye.:)

Lehigh'98
September 7th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Looks like we will be a 1 bid league this year. Not much we can do about that unless Lehigh beats UNH, that would give them an outside shot at 9-2 to get an at large.

Go...gate
September 7th, 2014, 07:18 PM

BTW, citdog, nice effort by The Citadel against the consensus FBS #1. You guys hung in there. Bodes well for the rest of the schedule.

ngineer
September 7th, 2014, 07:48 PM
Throw a blanket over the PL.

I'll take the 'saders based on home field. You may be right about Morgan State, but I can't help thinking "Morgan State".

Rams will win this one, 'ours'. If FU doesn't come out firing in this game, then there's trouble in Gotham.

Surprised at the problems LC had on offense. RMU bit them last year. Can't imagine Frank will let them get bit, again. Pussies lick Morris the Cat.

Picking Hoyas because I would love to see them win this one. They are underdogs, but I think this is winnable for them, for after that....

'gate win at NewArk 'hinges' on a near perfect game. Don't see it, but should be competitive. Hens by a TD.

Lehigh should put up some numbers, but UNH will be thinking payback from last year. I don't like "respectable losses", but objectively, one cannot pick LU without some turnovers and some lucky bounces. Wildcats, 38-28.

Pard4Life
September 7th, 2014, 08:15 PM
You guys are being way too nice about Lafayette.

WE.

SUCK!

Pard4Life
September 7th, 2014, 08:18 PM

Looks like me and you are tied for first! Holy Cross broke me last year.

Pard4Life
September 7th, 2014, 08:22 PM
Is it just me or does it seem that when either or both of the L's are not strong, in their fans opinion, the PL is terrible that year? xnodx

The league is not terribly strong this year but it really nevah has been (top to bottom anyway). The league is getting stronger with scholarships. There will be a lot of growing pains but it's headed in the right direction.

Fordham walked into a "perfect storm" yesterday.....Villanova looks very good this year, outplayed and basically blew the game at Syracuse last week and the Cats were looking to exact some revenge from last year's game in the Bronx. Nebrich may not be at 100% either. They'll probably be just fine this season.

The two Ls? You mean the one L! Nobody recognizes Lafayette outside the PL. You are referring to the LFN thesis... when Lehigh is not a strong team, the PL perception and strength is weak. He argued this in a blog two years ago.

If it makes you feel better, the best years of the PL were 2003 and 2009.

Bogus Megapardus
September 7th, 2014, 08:37 PM
Looks like we will be a 1 bid league this year.

If the Powers That Be had their way we'd share a bid with Ivy - like we used to do in field hockey before we got good.

DFW HOYA
September 7th, 2014, 08:40 PM
You are referring to the LFN thesis... when Lehigh is not a strong team, the PL perception and strength is weak. He argued this in a blog two years ago.

These are largely media perceptions, but the fans pick up on this. If the PL final was Georgetown and Bucknell, regardless of talent, there would be those who would say the PL was horrible.

We as fans "expect" certain teams to be at the top of the standings. It's Michigan and Ohio State, not Indiana and Iowa. Alabama and Auburn, not Ole Miss and Mississippi State. USC, not Wazzu. For the PL, it's Lehigh. The thinking in some PL quarters is that Fordham is not a long term threat (assuming Morehead is recruited away) and once the dust settles, all the top talent will return to the Lehigh Valley.

The only two PL programs that have the potential for a significant recruiting pull outside the footprint are Holy Cross and Georgetown. With scholarships, Holy Cross could be where Villanova is in terms of recruiting. Why it hasn't done so is likely a reflection on the staff. And if Georgetown had 60 scholarships with a national name, it would stomp on a lot of PL teams, but the PL leadership is content to see a sleeping program in Washington lie because in Center Valley, it's still all about the local teams.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 7th, 2014, 09:52 PM
The "LFN thesis" is that I'm a blogger who writes about Lehigh, so logically that is my center focus. I write about other PL schools, but I'm not "PLFN" I'm "LFN".

As for the strength of the PL, Fordham didn't lose to Villanova in a close game, they were completely and utterly thrashed in a noncompetitive game from about the second quarter onward. The Rams were being whispered as possibly being a team heading to Frisco, but were completely exposed on Saturday afternoon. More than anything that needs to be Exhibit A in the case for the "strength" of the PL this season - not two losses for the "L"s.

I could have swallowed a close loss, or even a double-digit loss late, maybe. But in the preseason Fordham was shopped as the class of the PL, unanimous selection for the league title, whispers of a long playoff run. They have to earn something back after this weekend's egg.

Doc QB
September 7th, 2014, 09:53 PM

CCSU...dont believe in Saders
URI...gotta hunch there's trouble at FU
Delaware...they dont lose to PL
UNH...too talented, anger lingers over LU 2013
Marist...because its Gtown
Rob Morris...because its LC, and looked bad on tv

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 7th, 2014, 09:55 PM
Doc, and 0'fer is not out of the realm of possibility. These could be two brutal weeks in a row...bring on the Ivies!!

Lehigh Football Nation
September 7th, 2014, 09:56 PM
These are largely media perceptions, but the fans pick up on this. If the PL final was Georgetown and Bucknell, regardless of talent, there would be those who would say the PL was horrible.

We as fans "expect" certain teams to be at the top of the standings. It's Michigan and Ohio State, not Indiana and Iowa. Alabama and Auburn, not Ole Miss and Mississippi State. USC, not Wazzu. For the PL, it's Lehigh. The thinking in some PL quarters is that Fordham is not a long term threat (assuming Morehead is recruited away) and once the dust settles, all the top talent will return to the Lehigh Valley.

The only two PL programs that have the potential for a significant recruiting pull outside the footprint are Holy Cross and Georgetown. With scholarships, Holy Cross could be where Villanova is in terms of recruiting. Why it hasn't done so is likely a reflection on the staff. And if Georgetown had 60 scholarships with a national name, it would stomp on a lot of PL teams, but the PL leadership is content to see a sleeping program in Washington lie because in Center Valley, it's still all about the local teams.

This would be true if it were the PL pulling all the strings for what the athletic departments are doing, but that's not the case. Nothing would probably make the PL leadership happier than Georgetown or (even better) Holy Cross stepping up and becoming a regional, then a national, power with student-athletes representative of the high-academic schools they represent. Their lack of PL titles haven't come from the halls of Center Valley but the halls of buildings in DC and Worcester respectively.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 7th, 2014, 10:03 PM
This would be true if it were the PL pulling all the strings for what the athletic departments are doing, but that's not the case. Nothing would probably make the PL leadership happier than Georgetown or (even better) Holy Cross stepping up and becoming a regional, then a national, power with student-athletes representative of the high-academic schools they represent. Their lack of PL titles haven't come from the halls of Center Valley but the halls of buildings in DC and Worcester respectively.

Well said. I don't believe HC was fully onboard with the idea of scholarships. There seems to be a lukewarm commitment to athletics in Worcester. Holy Cross's recent President Cup finishes reflect that, 7/12, 6/8, 8/8, 8/8, 7/8, 6/8, 8/8, 8/8, 8/8. That's a poorly performing athletic department any way you slice it....

Georgetown's problems are completely internal. It has nothing to do with the league and to blame the league is simply foolish....

Doc QB
September 7th, 2014, 10:08 PM
They have to earn something back after this weekend's egg.

We in the PL all have to earn something each week. The same way some PL fans look down on the NEC (and we probably should not) is really how SoCon, MVFC, and yes, the CAA seriously look down on us, and probably more so at that. We'll have CAA and NEC hopefully sprinkled on our schedule for years to come (especially if IVY does ditch us, and beating them generally does not impress the above conferences). So if we really want toot our horn, we need to beat them. A beatdown in Philly and failure to finish in Bethlehem doesnt earn the respect, so I agree in an expanded way with LFN.

DFW HOYA
September 7th, 2014, 10:16 PM
This would be true if it were the PL pulling all the strings for what the athletic departments are doing, but that's not the case. Nothing would probably make the PL leadership happier than Georgetown or (even better) Holy Cross stepping up and becoming a regional, then a national, power with student-athletes representative of the high-academic schools they represent.

Except that conferences intrinsically root for its conference leaders to rise to the top. For all of Virginia Tech's success in football, they were always outliers in the Big East. Had Syracuse been the national power instead, a different story.

No one in the PL office is rooting against HC or Georgetown, but Lehigh still drives the bus as far as league publicity goes.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 7th, 2014, 10:24 PM
Except that conferences intrinsically root for its conference leaders to rise to the top. For all of Virginia Tech's success in football, they were always outliers in the Big East. Had Syracuse been the national power instead, a different story.

No one in the PL office is rooting against HC or Georgetown, but Lehigh still drives the bus as far as league publicity goes.

Leagues market their best teams. They also, usually, do a good job marketing "good stories" too. Temple was really the one team that drove the bus in the A10 for hoops. Still, the league, and as a result the country, also got behind St. Joe's, URI, GWU etc. when it made sense to do so. Likewise, the PL did a great promoting Bucknell hoops after they beat Kansas in 2005.

I know the 'Pard fans don't want to hear it but Lehigh has been the most successful team in the league during the playoff era and it's not really close. 3 undefeated regular seasons, 6 10+ win seasons, average 8 wins a year etc. Colgate has had good teams and had a tremendous run in 2003. But, they've also stumbled badly against good teams far too often.

The league put out several nice pieces promoting Fordham and Nebrich this offseason....

2ram
September 7th, 2014, 10:27 PM
The "LFN thesis" is that I'm a blogger who writes about Lehigh, so logically that is my center focus. I write about other PL schools, but I'm not "PLFN" I'm "LFN".

As for the strength of the PL, Fordham didn't lose to Villanova in a close game, they were completely and utterly thrashed in a noncompetitive game from about the second quarter onward. The Rams were being whispered as possibly being a team heading to Frisco, but were completely exposed on Saturday afternoon. More than anything that needs to be Exhibit A in the case for the "strength" of the PL this season - not two losses for the "L"s.

I could have swallowed a close loss, or even a double-digit loss late, maybe. But in the preseason Fordham was shopped as the class of the PL, unanimous selection for the league title, whispers of a long playoff run. They have to earn something back after this weekend's egg.

+1. it was brutal. not sure what happened, but that wasn't the team from last year.

RichH2
September 7th, 2014, 10:28 PM

Lehigh has been very successful in the PL. So you;re just now getting the memo. Not a deep darkconspiracy just success. Just as Cross and Gate did when they were successful. Last year and going into this seemed that Fordham would be top dog for forseeable future. Oops, Rams got schooled badly. Now all of us as docpointed out have to stand up and succeed for PL to succeed not just LU.
Nodirespect DFW,I really do see the angst for Hoya fans but must we debate it every week.

Sader87
September 7th, 2014, 10:30 PM
Jesus.....step off the ledge L's.....and I thought I was the biggest PL basher around.

It's Year 2 (for most) of this bold, new experiment (for some) in scholarship football.

HC is getting bettah....I can see it in the Frosh and Sophs.....we've scheduled BC, UConn and Syracuse......take a deep breath, things are getting bettah for PL football.

Bill
September 7th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Well, had a tough 3-3 go at it last week...dropped to 7-4 overall.

Central Connecticut (1-0) at Holy Cross (1-1) - Sticking with the Crusaders at home, 23-20.
Rhode Island (0-1) at Fordham (1-1) - Too much respect for Fordham? No, Fordham, 28-14.
Lehigh (0-1) at New Hampshire (0-1) - Best shot at beating the CAA was last week. Can we start a new thread that lasts 11 months? UNH, 42-24.
Robert Morris (0-2) at Lafayette (0-1) - Lafayette, please? Lafayette, 2-0.
Georgetown (0-2) at Marist (0-2) - Let's go Hoyas! G-Town, 13-10.
Colgate (0-1) at Delaware (1-1) - Wasn't KC the coach last time these teams played? Hens, 32-12.

Lehigh'98
September 7th, 2014, 10:52 PM
How did Georgetown go from 8-3 in 2011 to being underdogs to bottom of the barrel Pioneer teams??? I knew they have issues, but it got real bad real quick.

Bill
September 7th, 2014, 10:55 PM
No disrespect to G-Town intended...but the more appropriate question may be "How did Georgetown ever go 8-3 in 2011"...

Pard4Life
September 7th, 2014, 10:59 PM
No disrespect to G-Town intended...but the more appropriate question may be "How did Georgetown ever go 8-3 in 2011"...

The PL was weak and it was a down year for the league... ...

Pard4Life
September 7th, 2014, 11:04 PM
Jesus.....step off the ledge L's.....and I thought I was the biggest PL basher around.

It's Year 2 (for most) of this bold, new experiment (for some) in scholarship football.

HC is getting bettah....I can see it in the Frosh and Sophs.....we've scheduled BC, UConn and Syracuse......take a deep breath, things are getting bettah for PL football.

I'm scared of what HC can be... very similar to Fordham. National reach. Religious mission. Good school. Name brand.

Lafayette really is the only school that nobody knows exists. Colgate maybe, but they have the whole toothpaste thing going for them.

It won't be 1987 all over again, but HC will put some good teams on the field. Maybe even this year.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 7th, 2014, 11:23 PM

They did it by beating Lafayette, Fordham and a whole lot of other PL teams. Had they won at Murray Goodman, they would have been playoff-bound that season.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 7th, 2014, 11:27 PM
The league put out several nice pieces promoting Fordham and Nebrich this offseason....

I want to emphasize this because it is true. Fordham got a lot of love, justifiably so, from the PL, Campus Insiders, and the rest of the league. As a matter of fact they have also been getting some good press in the NY papers as well.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 7th, 2014, 11:37 PM
I want to emphasize this because it is true. Fordham got a lot of love, justifiably so, from the PL, Campus Insiders, and the rest of the league. As a matter of fact they have also been getting some good press in the NY papers as well.

You have to earn it...

Lehigh got A LOT of publicity during their run from 1998-2001. Ron Jean made Sports Illustraded, there was a lengthy article in the Philly Inquirer about the teams success on and off the field. There was also a USA Today article iirc.....

http://www.si.com/vault/1999/10/25/268572/standing-tall-lehighs-55quot-ronald-jean-beat-daunting-odds-to-become-a-top-rusher
(http://www.si.com/vault/1999/10/25/268572/standing-tall-lehighs-55quot-ronald-jean-beat-daunting-odds-to-become-a-top-rusher)
Likewise, Holy Cross was making national waves in the 1980's, and deservedly so....

Sader87
September 8th, 2014, 12:07 AM
The scholarship world will be different......I'm not saying HC will dominate again but they will be bettah suited to putting a bettah product on the field.

Of all the PL schools football-wise, the non-schollie aspect of the PL hit HC the most/hardest. HC was a leading proponent for going non-schollie and forming the PL, but it really set back HC football for a couple decades. Lehigh and Colgate (after stumbling early in the PL-era) basically took HC's place as the standard-bearer for PL football from the early 90s to the mid 00s.

It will be interesting going forward....I think just about every PL school has the opportunity to be solid/good in a scholarship-era PL.

Go...gate
September 8th, 2014, 12:33 AM
I believe the PL has done a good job of promoting all of its programs. And I don't think HC and GU are the only so-called "national" schools or programs. All the core schools in the conference increasingly attract great students (and student-athletes) from around the country and world. Colgate has certainly made an intensive effort in that regard.

Go...gate
September 8th, 2014, 12:34 AM
You have to earn it...

Lehigh got A LOT of publicity during their run from 1998-2001. Ron Jean made Sports Illustraded, there was a lengthy article in the Philly Inquirer about the teams success on and off the field. There was also a USA Today article iirc.....

http://www.si.com/vault/1999/10/25/268572/standing-tall-lehighs-55quot-ronald-jean-beat-daunting-odds-to-become-a-top-rusher
(http://www.si.com/vault/1999/10/25/268572/standing-tall-lehighs-55quot-ronald-jean-beat-daunting-odds-to-become-a-top-rusher)
Likewise, Holy Cross was making national waves in the 1980's, and deservedly so....

And Colgate's championship run in 2003 put the league in a very positive light.

Go...gate
September 8th, 2014, 12:35 AM

I agree. We have come a long way from the nadir of the conference in the early 1990's.

danefan
September 8th, 2014, 06:44 AM
Central Ct is 1-1.......

sorry but but we doubled our wins from last year so I have to point it our everywhere possible. xthumbsupx

I think Holy Cross is better than CCSU. Pujals should be able to pick them apart.

PAllen
September 8th, 2014, 08:42 AM
Why should the PL tout the Hoyas at this point? GU is an associate member that came in with promises of facility and spending upgrades. They haven't lived up to their promises, and more often than not, been atrocious on the field. You're welcome to stay in the house as long as you like, but if you want to come to the work Christmas Party, you have to at least shave and put a shirt on first.

Skyhawk71
September 8th, 2014, 08:53 AM
Central Connecticut @ Holy Cross
Rhode Island @ Fordham
Lehigh @ New Hampshire
Robert Morris @ Lafayette
Georgetown @ Marist
Colgate @ Delaware

carney2
September 8th, 2014, 09:10 AM
Lots of love of late for CCSU over the Cross and RMU over Lafayette. There should not, in my opinion, be much doubt in either case that the Patriot League team is superior. I am predicting that both PL teams will win, and at least one could be a rout.

carney2
September 8th, 2014, 09:25 AM
PL leadership is content to see a sleeping program in Washington lie

Year after year we have this "discussion." DFW insists that the Patriot League should be doing something to help/repair/lift (always unclear) Georgetown football. I've never understood his argument. I'm assuming that it revolves around the AI, but I guess it could have something to do with scholarships. The argument that the Patriot League is somehow culpable in Georgetown football mediocrity is beyond ridiculous. The Hoyas have decided that the other six are going in a direction they choose not to go. To somehow blame that other six for your shortcomings is baffling, to say the least.

DFW argued for years that the Patriot League needed some sort of a TV package that includes all teams. Now he has it. The fact that there is no addition without subtraction has not been mentioned by Mr. Hoya. At Lafayette, for instance, every game, home and away, was televised - and it has been a good job by long-time, knowledgeable crews. The only exceptions were that Georgetown FiOS fiasco and North Dakota State where it was deemed too costly to transport and set up. This year we get only 7 games, with the CBS contract excluding anyone else with a camera from the site. This should suit DFW because his argument always seems to be

"Georgetown will not play by your rules, so we demand that you downgrade to our miserable level of incompetence. It's the only fair way."

Lehigh Football Nation
September 8th, 2014, 09:30 AM
Somewhat ironically, Georgetown is the only PL school that doesn't participate fully with Campus Insiders because it is an institutional decision.

Sader87
September 8th, 2014, 09:44 AM
When are GTown's and FU's associate membership up for renewal? Are they the same year?

I'm just curious on what GTown's overall thinking may be.....i.e. "We'll ride this out and when our membership comes up for renewal...we'll quietly leave."

carney2
September 8th, 2014, 09:59 AM
When are GTown's and FU's associate membership up for renewal? Are they the same year?

I'm just curious on what GTown's overall thinking may be.....i.e. "We'll ride this out and when are membership comes up for renewal...we'll quietly leave."

This year, for the first time ever, DFW has hinted that the end may be in sight for Georgetown. I don't know if he has insider information, but this is a decided change of message for our Hoya friend.

Fordham is a different animal. Despite what happened Saturday at Villanova, their football program would probably be welcome in a sometimes crumbling, and always unsteady, CAA. The alumni would, however, be in revolt if any attempts were made to move their perpetually bottom feeding basketball program from the A-10 where they are hopelessly over matched.

RichH2
September 8th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Must we keep rehashing Hoya paradox every week. Until GU decides to do somthing there is absolutely nothing more to say that has not been said before.

DFW HOYA
September 8th, 2014, 10:17 AM
This year, for the first time ever, DFW has hinted that the end may be in sight for Georgetown. I don't know if he has insider information, but this is a decided change of message for our Hoya friend..

That's news to me. In fact, I've tried to steer clear of extended discussion about the renewal.

And for what it's worth, the Dayton broadcast mentioned that the Flyers will return its game with GU in 2020 because that was the first date available.

PAllen
September 8th, 2014, 10:25 AM
That's news to me. In fact, I've tried to steer clear of extended discussion about the renewal.

And for what it's worth, the Dayton broadcast mentioned that the Flyers will return its game with GU in 2020 because that was the first date available.

Sounds like GU will be around for a while then. I can see the Hoyas playing up 4-5 Ivy opponents every year in the not so distant future, which should suit them just fine.

Sader87
September 8th, 2014, 10:26 AM
I know it's been re-hashed but when exactly is GTown up for renewal? After this year? Next year? 3 years from now? I think I've seen them on some future schedules of PL schools in 2017 or so.

Believe me, I'm not forcing them out the door by any means. Hope they stay in the league for football but their uncertainty (if such uncertainty exists) affects everyone else moving forward in terms of future scheduling, league expansion etc.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 8th, 2014, 10:27 AM
1. Georgetown isn't going to drop football. They are still dedicated to the cause as far as I can see.

2. PL will not evict Georgetown football, and in fact have them to thank for still having an autobid to the FCS playoffs.

3. Fans and maybe even the PL membership will exert gentle pressure on Georgetown athletics to do things to modestly improve athletics, which will be summarily ignored by the admin. In the Hoyas' defense, they have a lot of other stuff on their plate (per DFW). That is the complete extent of the "pressure" exerted on the Hoyas.

4. The Hoyas could still evolve into a decent FCS-level program, and could also have some runs at the title and the FCS playoffs with only modest investments in the program.

5. Full engagement with Campus Insiders would really, really help and, to my knowledge, would cost them nothing.

Bill
September 8th, 2014, 10:54 AM
5. Full engagement with Campus Insiders would really, really help and, to my knowledge, would cost them nothing.

Perhaps DFW could help shed some light here...but doesn't Georgetown (through the hoops program) use a competitor of IMG? I think Campus Insiders is an IMG vehicle...

RichH2
September 8th, 2014, 11:39 AM
A break from Hoya shiva
Massey and Bassetts
HC -CCSU. 31-27
Marist-GU. 23-17
UNH-LU. 38-23
FU-URI. 35-20
UD-Gate. 37-23
LC-RMU. 26-17

80-90%
FU. 42-21
70-80%
LC. 31.5-17.5
60-70%
Marist 24.5-17.5
LU. 38.5-35
50-60%
UF. 24.5-24.5
HC. 24.5-24.5

PAllen
September 8th, 2014, 11:50 AM
A break from Hoya shiva
Massey and Bassetts

UNH-LU. 38-23

Can I take the over? If UNH doesn't put up 50, I'll be surprised.

RichH2
September 8th, 2014, 12:33 PM
My guess over has to be 75+

ColgateTD
September 8th, 2014, 02:58 PM
I thought Carney was in charge of this thread. What's up?

The Cross - Puhols will hit the home run late in this one
Fordham - Would not like to be on the practice field in the Bronx this week. At least some Rams will win.
UNH - Just don't see the Engineers getting up for this one; payback for the Wildcats
Lafayette - I know - it seems silly picking the Pards, but gotta go with the home team here
G'town - Like other posters, this may be my last chance to favor the Hoyas
Colgate - upset special; it's retribution time for the Red Raiders....28-24.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 8th, 2014, 03:02 PM
UNH - Just don't see the Engineers getting up for this one

Oh, I don't see that scenario happening.

PAllen
September 8th, 2014, 03:32 PM
Oh, I don't see that scenario happening.

I honestly don't think it matters how much we "get up" for UNH. Toledo's D was just barely fast enough to stop UNH. We're not that fast. I see UNH scoring at will, and while I think LU can put up some points, I just don't see us keeping UNH below 7-8 scores. I hope that I'm wrong.

Bill
September 8th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Colgate - upset special; it's retribution time for the Red Raiders....28-24.

As much as I'd love the see this happen, I have to say "Nuts"xrotatehx

HoyaMetanoia
September 8th, 2014, 09:46 PM
1. Georgetown isn't going to drop football. They are still dedicated to the cause as far as I can see.

4. The Hoyas could still evolve into a decent FCS-level program, and could also have some runs at the title and the FCS playoffs with only modest investments in the program.

I wouldn't be so sure about #1.

And part of the reason is because of #4, which I do not believe to be true. The investments would be more than modest, when you consider what we're already spending, what we spend on other sports, and what return we would get for an increase in funding that would further that disparity that's already hard to justify.

Georgetown, in my mind, really has two options (and I'm sorry for you all that this is debated every week, as it is getting old to me and I'm a Georgetown fan):
1) Play an independent schedule with as many Ivies as we can schedule and then whatever PL teams will be willing to play us as a non-conference game. We will never make the financial commitment to be competitive in a scholly-filled PL, so it's useless to stay in it and play games against Bucknell when we might be able to replace that game with an Ivy that would draw more interest and satisfy the Georgetown administration's goal of using football as a means to continue to be peers with schools like the Ivies.
2) Drop the sport all together. The program will be totally irrelevant if we end up 0-6 in the PL for multiple consecutive seasons getting our doors blown off by fully funded teams, or if we end up playing schools like Dayton, Robert Morris, Marist and Monmouth every week. At that point, the Administration will have a hard time justifying the costs when the sport has become a mockery instead of a means of competing with our academic peers.

Bill
September 8th, 2014, 10:23 PM
Hoya - I forgot - How many equivalencies do you currently have?

BucBisonAtLarge
September 8th, 2014, 11:15 PM

+1 (however unlikely I find this concurrence)

Gee, guys... let's recap. Fordham got spanked-- ugly, but that has happened before. Lehigh ended upon the low end of a see-saw with decent team from the CAA. Lafayette played the consensus pre-season NEC favorite tough on the road. Oh, and Georgetown lost. If these are some tea leaves to read, they look an awful lot like tea leaves we have seen before.

It was not the kind of week (or two) the Big Ten has had--- really.

Go...gate
September 9th, 2014, 01:00 AM
Holy Cross 25, Central Connecticut 21

Fordham 27, Rhode Island 17

Lehigh 33, New Hampshire 28

Lafayette 16, Robert Morris 14

Georgetown 19, Marist 7

Colgate 31, Delaware 30

citdog
September 9th, 2014, 01:15 AM

Georgetown 19, Marist 7

Colgate 31, Delaware 30

http://3guys1movie.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/up-in-smoke-1.jpg

PAllen
September 9th, 2014, 08:12 AM

Georgetown 19, Marist 7

Colgate 31, Delaware 30

Bold sir, very bold.

Gater
September 9th, 2014, 10:19 AM
I agree with Go...gate. Feeling Patriotleagueotic today.

jimbo65
September 9th, 2014, 11:36 AM
Holy Cross
Fordham
UNH
LaFayette
Gtown
Delaware

bison137
September 9th, 2014, 01:20 PM
Holy Cross
Fordham
New Hampshire
Lafayette
Marist
Delaware

Go...gate
September 9th, 2014, 03:38 PM
http://3guys1movie.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/up-in-smoke-1.jpg

Ahh, the sweet smell of success....

Go...gate
September 9th, 2014, 03:40 PM
OK, Patriot League. Let's show 'em. xcoachx

van
September 9th, 2014, 04:38 PM
9-2 so far this year, looking to go perfect this week

Central Connecticut (1-0) at Holy Cross (1-1), CCSU has some experienced skill guys and win over Towson is big

Rhode Island (0-1) at Fordham (1-1), Bronx rams win at home

Lehigh (0-1) at New Hampshire (0-1), afraid it will be a long ride home for my guys, UNH can score on anybody and our D still a ?

Robert Morris (0-2) at Lafayette (0-1), Bobby Mo just not much of a threat

Georgetown (0-2) at Marist (0-2), Hoyas may surprise someone this year, but until they do I am picking against them

Colgate (0-1) at Delaware (1-1), the Tub is a tough place to win and Gate off their feed a little this year

Sader87
September 9th, 2014, 04:47 PM
People are free to pick whom they want of course....just not getting the Blue Devil love here. Holy Cross won 52-21 in New Britain last year and played U-Albany much tougher than CCSU did this year. We shall see.

RichH2
September 9th, 2014, 05:43 PM
Warily this week.
Cross over CCSU Purples need this game.
Rams over Rams PL squad big rebound.
UNH over LU lots of pts,not much D on either team
Pards over RMU s/b a rout but LC. has to find O parts
UD over Gate neither that solid yet but UD home

Bogus Megapardus
September 9th, 2014, 05:54 PM
Week 3 Sportsbook:

Fordham (-17) vs. Rhode Island

Holy Cross (-7) vs. Central Connecticut

New Hampshire (-17) vs. Lehigh

Delaware (-10) vs. Colgate

Lafayette (-10) vs. Robert Morris

Marist (-5) vs. Georgetown

Lehigh Football Nation
September 9th, 2014, 06:52 PM
Week 3 Sportsbook:

Fordham (-17) vs. Rhode Island

New Hampshire (-17) vs. Lehigh

Delaware (-10) vs. Colgate

With the possible exception of Fordham, I love getting the points in every single one of these games.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2014, 07:16 PM
With the possible exception of Fordham, I love getting the points in every single one of these games.

I'm thinking the Lehigh-UNH game will be in the 41-28, 44-35 range. But, one late TD and the 17 gets covered....

Bogus Megapardus
September 9th, 2014, 11:02 PM

I think Lehigh covers +17 in a loss and Fordham will win but not cover -17. Pards either will cover -10 large or will go down in flaming defeat - depends on the running game and who's available. I just can't call it right now. I had doubts earlier but I'm now going with the experts on Holy Cross. I think the Crusaders will cover -7; they might not win outright but I hope they do. Colgate ought to cover +10 but they won't win. Georgetown won't win and they'll likely not cover +5 the way things are going.

RichH2
September 9th, 2014, 11:04 PM
After looking at Pards injury list,I may have to rethink that pick.

Bogus Megapardus
September 9th, 2014, 11:09 PM
After looking at Pards injury list, I may have to rethink that pick.

Pard injuries are meaningful and that makes picking against Lafayette this week at -10 a pretty decent wager. Depends on who steps up at RB. I think this continues for the next two weeks for Lafayette but I wouldn't necessarily tempt the line against them from mid-season and beyond.

Bill
September 9th, 2014, 11:16 PM
I Colgate ought to cover +10 but they won't win.

I just don't have a good feeling about that one. We all know what happened the last time those teams met :)

Bogus Megapardus
September 9th, 2014, 11:22 PM
I just don't have a good feeling about that one. We all know what happened the last time those teams met :)

True that. Eons ago, however.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2014, 11:25 PM

Colgate played a reasonably competitive game against Ball State. The 'Gate QB struggled and, in general, their offense didn't look good but it was against a respectable FBS opponent. The Raiders did however, show a much improved defense. If they bring a similar type defensive performance to the Tub I think they have a legitimate shot. Delaware is very average.....

Bogus Megapardus
September 9th, 2014, 11:32 PM
Colgate played a reasonably competitive game against Ball State. The 'Gate QB struggled and, in general, their offense didn't look good but it was against a respectable FBS opponent. The Raiders did however, show a much improved defense. If they bring a similar type defensive performance to the Tub I think they have a legitimate shot. Delaware is very average.....

I agree with Owl. I think Colgate will have the standout performance this week. Just a hunch. Holy Cross as well, but a big Cross win would not be a shocker by any means.

Go...gate
September 10th, 2014, 01:29 AM

Another time and place.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 10th, 2014, 09:10 AM
Has Delaware done anything to make people assume that they are going to thrash Colgate? Not saying I think Colgate will definitely win, but the Hens don't exactly look like a championship team this early.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 10th, 2014, 09:13 AM
I think the Crusaders will cover -7; they might not win outright but I hope they do.

Both their games went down to the wire, one going their way, the other not. Have a hunch that all their games might go that way.

Pard4Life
September 10th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Why is everyone jumping on the Holy Cross bandwagon? They sputtered and flamed out in a game they dominated offensively, and also won a close game against a pedestrian MEAC team.

Meanwhile, CCSU beat a Top 25 team (sure, perhaps top25 in name only)...

This game will be close, 50-50, with a narrow margin of victory. HC will not romp.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 10th, 2014, 09:47 AM
Why is everyone jumping on the Holy Cross bandwagon? They sputtered and flamed out in a game they dominated offensively, and also won a close game against a pedestrian MEAC team.

This game will be close, 50-50, with a narrow margin of victory. HC will not romp.

On the last play of the game they won, it's worth mentioning.

carney2
September 10th, 2014, 10:59 AM
After looking at Pards injury list,I may have to rethink that pick.

Not trying to sound overconfident or cocky. How could I? We have The Frankosaurus who could lose to anyone, anytime - and frequently does. In fact, we lost to Bobby Mo two years ago when the talent differential was light years in the Leopards' favor. Two weeks ago, however, this looked like a glorified scrimmage. Now, it might just be an audition for a lot of pine riders.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 10th, 2014, 11:41 AM
My question about the Lafayette/RMU game isn't at all about Lafayette but about North Dakota. RMU damn near beat the Fightin' Nothings out there.

If the Frankasaurus comes out to play we could see a 10-3 or 10-6 game, with Lafayette on the bad end.

Pard4Life
September 10th, 2014, 11:55 AM
My question about the Lafayette/RMU game isn't at all about Lafayette but about North Dakota. RMU damn near beat the Fightin' Nothings out there.

If the Frankasaurus comes out to play we could see a 10-3 or 10-6 game, with Lafayette on the bad end.

Not likely. RMU will not be as capable a defense as SHU. Reed will be able to pass more effectively. Whether there will be WRs able to run a route is another.

Fordham
September 10th, 2014, 12:22 PM

I'm on their bandwagon. I like the rebound last week from what could have been a unrecoverable ending at Albany. I think they win this week. Maybe not handily but also not in a nailbiter.

Sader87
September 10th, 2014, 12:58 PM
It's a hard sell to get anyone on the HC bandwagon given what's transpired ovah the last 2+ seasons.....completely understand.

A few quick things: the scholarship classes at HC look to be very good and have contributed a lot on both sides of the ball in the first two games (unfortunately one key one is out Guild RB). HC pretty much-handled CCSU last year down there. Our O-Line looks bettah this season than last. Lastly, I think many here are both ovah-rating Towson and under-rating Morgan St.

crusader11
September 10th, 2014, 03:19 PM
A few quick things: the scholarship classes at HC look to be very good and have contributed a lot on both sides of the ball in the first two games (unfortunately one key one is out Guild RB). HC pretty much-handled CCSU last year down there. Our O-Line looks bettah this season than last. Lastly, I think many here are both ovah-rating Towson and under-rating Morgan St.

Don't you mean, "undah-rating"???

Southsider
September 10th, 2014, 03:35 PM
Meanwhile, many are predicting a UNH rout over LU. Look, the Cats certainly should win this game, and likely will. But LU did put up 28 on JMU, and had a chance for the "W". I think they can stay within 14. Given the new coaches, and new faces, I'd condider that a good day.:)

bison137
September 10th, 2014, 03:50 PM
the scholarship classes at HC look to be very good

How are you judging this at this point?

Sader87
September 10th, 2014, 04:28 PM
How are you judging this at this point?

"Good" in the sense that they are stepping right in and contributing heavily on both offense: Pujals QB Soph, Guild RB Sop, Walker RB Frosh, Wieczorek WR, 2 soph O-Line starters...defense: Ford FS Soph, Muhammad CB Frosh both start....others Young Soph and McBeath Frosh play a lot at LB.

They have all shown they can compete very well at the FCS-level so far in many instances.

bison137
September 10th, 2014, 04:39 PM
"Good" in the sense that they are stepping right in and contributing heavily on both offense: Pujals QB Soph, Guild RB Sop, Walker RB Frosh, Wieczorek WR, 2 soph O-Line starters...defense: Ford FS Soph, Muhammad CB Frosh both start....others Young Soph and McBeath Frosh play a lot at LB.

They have all shown they can compete very well at the FCS-level so far in many instances.

If that's the standard, then I'd rate Bucknell's classes a couple notches higher than very good. However I'm taking more of a wait-and-see approach.

Sader87
September 10th, 2014, 04:45 PM
If that's the standard, then I'd rate Bucknell's classes a couple notches higher than very good. However I'm taking more of a wait-and-see approach.

Of course you would.....xcoffeex

Bogus Megapardus
September 10th, 2014, 04:53 PM

So, when's that Bucknell - Holy Cross game? xrolleyesx

Bogus Megapardus
September 10th, 2014, 05:23 PM
Updated Week 3 Sportsbook

Line changes since Tuesday evening are in bold:

Fordham (-18) vs. Rhode Island (up from -17)

New Hampshire (-17½) vs. Lehigh (up from -17)

Delaware (-11) vs. Colgate (up from -10)

PAllen
September 10th, 2014, 05:29 PM
Updated Week 3 Sportsbook

Line changes since Tuesday evening are in bold:

Fordham (-18) vs. Rhode Island (up from -17)

New Hampshire (-17½) vs. Lehigh (up from -17)

Delaware (-11) vs. Colgate (up from -10)

FU, HC, UD, and LC as such large favorites surprises me. Oh well, I guess it's a good thing I don't gamble.

carney2
September 10th, 2014, 07:37 PM

Gut feel is that North Dakota vs. Bobby Mo should have been an even match - and the score seems to bear that out. The Fightin' Sue went 3-8 last year and absolutely had their doors blown off by the big kids on their schedule - teams like Montana, Montana State and Eastern Washington. They seem to be in way over their heads in the Big Sky. As far as football goes, they play a good game of ice hockey.

carney2
September 10th, 2014, 07:48 PM
What's that you say, sparks flyin' between Patriot League rivals. Let me guess. Too easy - Lafayette and Lehigh. No?!! Then Colgate just has to be involved with...well, either of the Ls. No again? Can't be Fordham. They don't seem to pay much attention to their League opponents. I give up. Who?

No way. Cross and the Buffaloes? About football? Not possible.

Bogus Megapardus
September 10th, 2014, 08:21 PM
Cross and the Buffaloes? About football? Not possible.

Stranger things have happened, carney2.

bison137
September 10th, 2014, 08:27 PM

Based on your standards, you would have to as well.

Bogus Megapardus
September 10th, 2014, 08:33 PM
Holy Cross and Bucknell going mano-a-mano on a football board. History in the making. Gotta egg them on . . .

Lehigh Football Nation
September 10th, 2014, 08:41 PM
Lafayette actually played (and beat) Bucknell before they ever beat Lehigh. True story.

Sader87
September 10th, 2014, 08:41 PM
I have no beef with Bucknell, have family and friends who are alumni from that fine institution.

If you check the thread, all I did was explain to 137 why I thought our frosh and soph classes were "good." 137 being 137 has to one-up me and say Bucknell's are bettah.

It's a ways off but the Bucknell game on November 15th at Fitton just got a little more interesting xnodx

Bogus Megapardus
September 10th, 2014, 08:52 PM
I have no beef with Bucknell, have family and friends who are alumni from that fine institution.

If you check the thread, all I did was explain to 137 why I thought our frosh and soph classes were "good." 137 being 137 has to one-up me and say Bucknell's are bettah.

It's a ways off but the Bucknell game on November 15th at Fitton just got a little more interesting xnodx

Whaddya mean you have no beef with Bucknell? It's a league opponent! Your goal is to demolish them, is it not? Leave no survivors!

Bogus Megapardus
September 10th, 2014, 08:57 PM
True story.

Pics or STFU. xsmhx

van
September 10th, 2014, 09:03 PM
Stranger things have happened, carney2.

name 3

Sader87
September 10th, 2014, 09:16 PM
There are schools in the PL with football followings beside Lafayette and Lehigh gentlemen.

Bogus Megapardus
September 10th, 2014, 09:25 PM
There are schools in the PL with football followings beside Lafayette and Lehigh gentlemen.

name 3

bison137
September 10th, 2014, 09:34 PM

Actually what I said is using your standards, Bucknell's right now would have to rank higher: more frosh/soph starters, more frosh/sophs on the depth chart, the only two soph position players who made All-PL as freshmen, a soph who is league's leading rusher, a soph QB who is looking very good, a soph who was league's offensive POW last week, a frosh DE who was ROW this week, etc.

HOWEVER I also said that I have a wait-and-see attitude and wouldn't try to judge how good any freshman or sophomore class is right now. Wait at least another year. Not sure why a wait-and-see attitude would make any game more interesting or controversial.

Pard4Life
September 10th, 2014, 09:43 PM
Lafayette actually played (and beat) Bucknell before they ever beat Lehigh. True story.

Yes. They are Lafayette's all-time win number one. They were called Lewisburg U at the time, I believe.

Bill
September 10th, 2014, 09:58 PM
Yes. They are Lafayette's all-time win number one. They were called Lewisburg U at the time, I believe.

I'll take "Obscure Patriot League Facts" for $300, please.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19655&stc=1

Pard4Life
September 10th, 2014, 10:01 PM
name 3

According to the letter of the law: Navy, Army, and Fordham when they are good.

Pard4Life
September 10th, 2014, 10:08 PM
I'll take "Obscure Patriot League Facts" for $300, please.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19655&stc=1

Ha... I actually discovered that Lehigh had an extra win in the historical record not credited to them but decided to keep my mouth shut, but then LFN found the mistake on his own a few years later (last year). You'd actually think I'd help out Lehigh?

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/EaDzkyplitE/hqdefault.jpg

Pard4Life
September 10th, 2014, 10:12 PM

Lehigh's colors are brown because they spent their first game in the mud vs. Lafayette, and felt they won a moral victory despite losing 56-0. So, they commemorated the occasion by dressing in brown. True story.

Bogus Megapardus
September 10th, 2014, 10:13 PM
Forget Colgate, Fordham, Hoyas and those bandwidth-hogging "L" schools. This thread is all about Holy Cross vs. Bucknell football. xslapfightx

Awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

Lehigh's colors are brown because they spent their first game in the mud vs. Lafayette.

They never washed up since then, I take it.

Sader87
September 10th, 2014, 10:20 PM
Schools in the PL with the best historical success/best following for football ovah the years:

1. Holy Cross
2. Colgate
3. Lehigh
4. Lafayette
5. Fordham (5 due to dropping the program from the 50s to the 90s)
6. Georgetown (see Fordham)
7..Bucknell

Bogus Megapardus
September 10th, 2014, 10:26 PM
the years

Define.

And regardless of the definition, in no way does Lehigh out-succeed Lafayette. Evaah. By any measurable statistic.

Sader87
September 10th, 2014, 10:28 PM
Define.

Modern college football...."modern" being somewhat of a misnomer, essentially from the time football was being played somewhat similarly to the way it is is now.....1930s or so to present day.

Bogus Megapardus
September 10th, 2014, 10:35 PM
Modern college football.

But the PL doesn't play modern college football. We're decidedly old school. On purpose.

Err . . . ahh . . . three national collegiate championships . . . ahh . . .

crusader11
September 10th, 2014, 10:37 PM
No way. Cross and the Buffaloes? About football? Not possible.

We suck at basketball, so it only makes sense an HC - Bucknell rivalry would spill over to football.

Sader87
September 10th, 2014, 10:41 PM
I put Lehigh ovah Lafayette in that they won a D2 NC in the 70s, have been consistently good in the 90s, 00s and 10s.

Lafayette does have the 3 National Championships but they were really in the infancy of college football.

Bogus Megapardus
We suck at basketball, so it only makes sense an HC - Bucknell rivalry would spill over to football.

I agree! Enough of this rampant, issue-deflecting hijackery! What about Bucknell vs. Holy Cross football?

crusader11
But the PL doesn't play modern college football. We're decidedly old school. On purpose.

Err . . . ahh . . . three national collegiate championships . . . ahh . . .

Bogey, you make my days at the office that much easier to get through, and for that I thank you. Seriously.

Bogus Megapardus
September 10th, 2014, 10:48 PM
First Meeting: October 31, 1925 - Holy Cross 23, Bucknell 7

First Bucknell Win: October 23, 1993 - Bucknell 33, Holy Cross 23

All-time Record: Holy Cross 20, Bucknell 10. No Ties.

Bogus Megapardus
September 10th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Bogey, you make my days at the office that much easier to get through, and for that I thank you. Seriously.

Much obliged. I have a purpose.

Sader87
September 10th, 2014, 10:53 PM
As much as Bogey (and I like Bogey too....he's one of the good ones lol) is trying to spark an HC-Bucknell football rivalry, the vast majority of alums, former playahs at HC etc would say Colgate is our main football rival in the PL.

Bogus Megapardus
September 10th, 2014, 11:09 PM
As much as Bogey (and I like Bogey too....he's one of the good ones lol) is trying to spark an HC-Bucknell football rivalry, the vast majority of alums, former playahs at HC etc would say Colgate is our main football rival in the PL.

No problem with that at all. Colgate should be the Crusaders' principal football rivalry.

But that in no ways diminishes the significance of the Holy Cross - Bucknell football games. Just think of how Holy Cross has to soothe its collective backsides every time it draws the Pards in the PL basketball tourney; you never get to face the hated Bison because we always beat the high hosanna out of you.

The annual football match squaring the Buffaloes against the Infidels ought not be treated with similar indifference.

Bogus Megapardus
September 10th, 2014, 11:40 PM
Oh, and err . . . ahh . . . Sadaah87 . . . you know I'm just busting you, right? C'mon, don't go all Georgetown on me or anything. :D

Lehigh Football Nation
September 10th, 2014, 11:54 PM
I put Lehigh ovah Lafayette in that they won a D2 NC in the 70s, have been consistently good in the 90s, 00s and 10s.

Lafayette does have the 3 National Championships but they were really in the infancy of college football.

Can I rep this post like 1000 times?

Bogus Megapardus
September 11th, 2014, 12:40 AM
Can I rep this post like 1000 times?

I think there's another board to tout your DII stuff. You might try there. I'm wondering, though, if they've ever heard of Lehigh over there . . .

Besides, how does that pertain to Bucknell vs. Holy Cross?

Go...gate
September 11th, 2014, 01:36 AM
Whaddya mean you have no beef with Bucknell? It's a league opponent! Your goal is to demolish them, is it not? Leave no survivors!

Now, now. This is the Patriot League. We defeat, we overcome, we prevail, but we never demolish. That would be unseemly.

Go...gate
September 11th, 2014, 01:39 AM

Agreed. Laughter is truly the best medicine, and Bogus Megapardus is a master at making us laugh.

Pard4Life
September 11th, 2014, 06:47 AM
Bucknell did win the Orange Bowl... Holy Cross had a season cancelled due to the flu or typhoid or something like that in the 1970s...

DFW HOYA
September 11th, 2014, 07:43 AM
Holy Cross had a season cancelled due to the flu or typhoid or something like that in the 1970s...

http://www.holycross.edu/departments/publicaffairs/hcm/fall04/features/feature1.html

DatDude
September 11th, 2014, 08:01 AM
Lehigh will give up 50
Lafayette will lose
Georgetown is Georgetown
Bucknell suprise team
Fordham will bounce back
Colgate...toss up
Holy Cross....who knows, could be 2-0 or 0-2.....Morgan State???? LOLxlolx

Bogus Megapardus
September 11th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Bucknell did win the Orange Bowl... Holy Cross had a season cancelled due to the flu or typhoid or something like that in the 1970s...

Bad batch of Holy Water is what I heard.

PAllen
September 11th, 2014, 12:24 PM
Pics or STFU. xsmhx

The camera wasn't invented yet and the etchings are taking too long. ;)

Lehigh Football Nation
September 11th, 2014, 01:02 PM
http://thumb7.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/231946/231946,1320323492,1/stock-photo-prehistoric-cave-painting-with-war-scene-88005451.jpg

Exclusive footage from Lafayette's first national championship team

Pard4Life
September 11th, 2014, 01:25 PM
Schools in the PL with the best historical success/best following for football ovah the years:

1. Holy Cross
2. Colgate
3. Lehigh
4. Lafayette
7..Bucknell

Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa wait a minute here... let's put down the Jameson and think about this...

Historical success and accolades:

1) Lafayette
2) Fordham
3) Colgate
4) Holy Cross
5) Bucknell
6) Lehigh
7) Georgetown

Pard4Life
September 11th, 2014, 01:27 PM
http://thumb7.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/231946/231946,1320323492,1/stock-photo-prehistoric-cave-painting-with-war-scene-88005451.jpg

Double check that... looks like how you make your weekly picks and forecasts. Needs more goat liver and oxen bone though.

Bogus Megapardus
September 11th, 2014, 01:35 PM

The receivers look plenty tall enough, but the inside LBs look like they probably could have used a little more bulk.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 11th, 2014, 01:49 PM
The receivers look plenty tall enough, but the inside LBs look like they probably could have used a little more bulk.

Would the Frankasaurus want to recruit those big antelopes for his "O" line? Or would he be afraid of the fire and spears?

Bogus Megapardus
September 11th, 2014, 01:51 PM
Historical success and accolades:

1) Lafayette
2) Fordham
3) Colgate
4) Holy Cross
5) Bucknell
6) Lehigh
7) Georgetown

This looks about right. If we're combining both "historical success" and "accolades," Fordham has it on the "accolades" side due to the Grantland Rice factor, balanced somewhat (but by no means entirely) by the Parke Davis and Jock Sutherland factor for the Leopards. But Lafayette wins it outright on the "success" side. Three National Championships at college football's highest level; no other PL team comes close. I might rank Bucknell over Holy Cross and/or Colgate because Bucknell shut out Miami in the 1935 Orange Bowl. Cross and Gate both have the better of the Buffaloes on the "accolades" factor due their occasional appearance on national network broadcast television in the 1960s and early 1970s.

Bogus Megapardus
September 11th, 2014, 02:00 PM
Would the Frankasaurus want to recruit those big antelopes for his "O" line? Or would he be afraid of the fire and spears?

The Frankosaurus is old-school Cretaceous to the core. Those antelopes appear docile and domesticated by comparison.

Find me a Triceratops from a top high school with an established coach, and we'll talk.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5GiwN-c_JpY/UzGOXEdwPUI/AAAAAAAAbbo/3ORC9iVvMfE/s1600/Triceratops.jpeg

Bill
September 11th, 2014, 02:27 PM
Personally, I don't think a comparison of historical success is remotely accurate or relevant. It's comparing success of schools playing over various eras of different levels of football! We each know the history, but it was only until HC's last Gordie Lockbaum era scholarships left have we been all at the same level - excluding Fordham and G-Town, who came to our PL party later.

Imagine if Mount Union decided to go D-1 in the Big 10 soon (OK, bear with me). If rank the historical success of them vs. the Big 10, are they #1??? Lafayette's national titles?? Bucknell in 1935?? Colgate was playing an entirely different level of football than the others for a while...but I think you all know what I mean!

Sader87
September 11th, 2014, 02:28 PM
It was a combined historical success/best following from the 1930's or so on.

My methodolgy:

1. HC: Ranked in the Top 20 in '37, '38, '42, '45 and '51. 1-AA: ranked Top 20 in '82, '83 (#3), '84, '86. '87 (#1), '89 (#4) '91 (#3) and '09

Lost in '45-'46 Orange Bowl to Miami on last play (not much has changed lol). Continuous play at the D1 level from the 1930s on.

2. Colgate The famous unbeaten, unscored upon, uninvited team. Played D1 continuously from 1930s on. Ten Top 20s 1-AA. Multiple NFL stars.

3. Lehigh: D2 championship in '77.....multiple Top 20s in 1-AA Drawback: D2 or College Division from 1948-1978

4. Lafayette Top 20 in 1940 '19 5 Top 25 1-AAs Drawback: Played D2 or College Division from'51-'78

5. FU: Could actually be #1 if they hadn't stopped playing from 1955-1989. Top 20 from '36-'41. Cotton and Sugar Bowls. "7 rocks, Lombardi...."

6. GTown: See Fordham Top 20 in 1940 #13. Orange Bowl, Sun Bowl Didn't play from '51-'93

7. Bucknell 1935 Orange Bowl. No Top 20s in either 1-A or 1-AA Played D2/College from 1949-1977.

As I stated, these rankings reflect both success from the 1930s on as well as who has drawn the biggest following among alumni, local fans,media etc due to that success. LU, LC and BU are hurt in these rankings because they played at a lower level for many decades. FU and GU are hurt because they dropped their programs for many decades. HC beats out CU due to a little bit bettah success ovah the years at the 1-A and 1-AA level and has a bigger fan-base historically.

I'm sure most won't agree here but there my rankings and I'm keeping 'em. xsmiley_wix

Pard4Life
September 11th, 2014, 02:42 PM
Fordham is the only team that comes close to Lafayette's accomplishments and national prominence. Check the College FB HOF.

Pard4Life
September 11th, 2014, 02:47 PM
Sader, you made my drink come out my nose reading this.

The 1930s? Ok that's when the poll was established, but it's an arbitrary line that you draw. That's what LFN and the Lehigh crowd do... look at the ENTIRE body of work.

Hell I think we should just draw the line at 2010. Lehigh #1!!!!

Sader87
September 11th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Sader, you made my drink come out my nose reading this.

The 1930s? Ok that's when the poll was established, but it's an arbitrary line that you draw. That's what LFN and the Lehigh crowd do... look at the ENTIRE body of work.

Even giving you the disputed 1921 and 1926 National Championships, under my system, that would, maybe, have the Leopards jumping ovah the Engineers. For too long Lafayette and Lehigh played basically in the bubble of the Lehigh Valley with very little national exposure.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 11th, 2014, 03:06 PM

+1

Bill
September 11th, 2014, 03:07 PM
I maintain my position - just look at Sader's breakdown. I'm not here to be rah-rah Lehigh - but it's impossible to compare because these schools were not all playing at the same level at the same time, nor in the "modern era" of football. If a comparison is necessary for some reason (and I'm not sure why), the arbitrary line I would use is the year HC's scholarships ran out in the early days of the PL.

Bogus Megapardus
September 11th, 2014, 03:11 PM
Imagine if Mount Union decided to go D-1 in the Big 10 soon.

They wouldn't be able to trounce poor little Marietta College at homecoming any more. Ohioans grovel for that one.

EDIT: I see that Marietta just knocked off Kenyon, however. So there might be hope. xcoffeex

Bogus Megapardus
September 11th, 2014, 03:23 PM
For too long Lafayette and Lehigh played basically in the bubble of the Lehigh Valley with very little national exposure.

Using 1930 as a cut-off is unreasonable. We'd been playing serious intercollegiate football at a national level for fifty years at that point. We could draw 20,000 at home games. We were the first school that is not a present Ivy member ever to win a national championship. Give me a week or so and I'll do a graphic of the number of mentions of Lafayette football in The New York Times sports pages, from 1880 to the present. You might be surprised.

I will say, however, that Lehigh probably belongs last on the list, below Georgetown.

Pard4Life
September 11th, 2014, 03:29 PM
Using 1930 as a cut-off is unreasonable. We'd been playing serious intercollegiate football at a national level for fifty years at that point. We could draw 20,000 at home games. Give me a week or so and I'll do a graphic of the number of mentions of Lafayette football in The New York Times sports pages, from 1880 to the present. You might be surprised.

You don't have to. In 1926, Lafayette was crowned champion of the past five seasons by the NYT. You should see the rest of their top five: Alabama, Notre Dame, Michigan, and I believe Navy. I rest my case.

Lafayette had a tremendous rivalry vs W&J and we played before 55,000 at the Polo Grounds. A neutral site! I rest my case again.

And in 1930, Lafayette again played at a neutral site to open the brand new Atlantic City Boardwalk Hall... the first indoor night game. They wanted national publicity, they called Lafayette.

Again... Sader, I feel like I'm just pouring on the points like Lafayette against Holy Cross in garbage time of the PL playoffs.

Sader87
September 11th, 2014, 03:30 PM
And I would counter that football from 1880-1920 or so, really has no bearing on the college game today or since it's been played in a fashion that we would recognize today.

I respect Lafayette's early football history but I also don't think it bears any resemblance to modern college football, particularly since post WW2.

Bogus Megapardus
September 11th, 2014, 03:34 PM
2. Colgate The famous unbeaten, unscored upon, uninvited team.

I'd forgotten about that one. They totally got Woffed. Moves them up on the "success" side (but maybe down on the "accolades" side).

Bogus Megapardus
September 11th, 2014, 03:47 PM
I also don't think it bears any resemblance to modern college football, particularly since post WW2.

You mean since the time that state institutions started pouring taxpayer money into their football programs because that's the only way they could beat Lafayette? Rutgers, Penn State and Temple are prototypical examples. I'm not prepared to allow random, government-sponsored political hackery to define what is, and what is not, "college football."

No, the evaluation period begins on November 6, 1869 and continues to the present.

Sader87
September 11th, 2014, 03:52 PM
You don't have to. In 1926, Lafayette was crowned champion of the past five seasons by the NYT. You should see the rest of their top five: Alabama, Notre Dame, Michigan, and I believe Navy. I rest my case.

Lafayette had a tremendous rivalry vs W&J and we played before 55,000 at the Polo Grounds. A neutral site! I rest my case again.

And in 1930, Lafayette again played at a neutral site to open the brand new Atlantic City Boardwalk Hall... the first indoor night game. They wanted national publicity, they called Lafayette.

Again... Sader, I feel like I'm just pouring on the points like Lafayette against Holy Cross in garbage time of the PL playoffs.

Did Nucky Thompson flip the coin at midfield???

Pard4Life
September 11th, 2014, 04:02 PM

Don't tell me! I have not gotten beyond season one!

Lehigh Football Nation
September 11th, 2014, 04:10 PM

Though when North Carolina, the "champions of the South", wanted to be challenged in 1893, they called upon Lehigh.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2014/07/1893-lehighs-powerful-team-helps.html

Bogus Megapardus
September 11th, 2014, 04:23 PM

If so, it's likely that the coin had two "heads."

Pard4Life
September 11th, 2014, 04:28 PM
Though when North Carolina, the "champions of the South", wanted to be challenged in 1893, they called upon Lehigh.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2014/07/1893-lehighs-powerful-team-helps.html

Well they obviously wanted a cupcake and not get embarrassed, or else they would have called Yale or Penn.

Bogus Megapardus
September 11th, 2014, 04:33 PM

Because Lehigh "university" could afford the trip and its "students" (including the ones who could both count and spell) had little else to do.

But things went astray the next year once "Pudge" Heffelfinger took over and couldn't get the livestock to stop mating at the scrum line. That was a fan favorite for a while, though . . . or so it is reported.

The capstone of Heffelfinger's career came in the Cornell game in 1894 and is summed up brilliantly by the brief addendum note on College Football Data Warehouse - "Lehigh forfeits by walking off the field."

Pard4Life
September 11th, 2014, 04:33 PM
And I would counter that football from 1880-1920 or so, really has no bearing on the college game today or since it's been played in a fashion that we would recognize today.

I respect Lafayette's early football history but I also don't think it bears any resemblance to modern college football, particularly since post WW2.

Ok, well then I am going to call Alabama and tell them to take down their 1927 national champions banner, because it does not count since football was 'radically' different from today.

Watch Colgate's 1932 team on YouTube... I see a guy running an ovular ball, on a grid field, running an "end-around" a line of 'defensive' players as players on his team are trying to push that 'defensive line' forward... looks like cricket, right?

Sader87
September 11th, 2014, 04:56 PM
That's what I said....1930s onward.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2014, 05:04 PM
The problem with the PL teams historically is they all had lengthy periods of terrible football.

Holy Cross - good early on and in the 1980's but the 50's, 60's, 70's, 90's were bad to really bad
Lafayette - awesome early history but only one 9+ win season since the 1930's....
Lehigh - was average to terrible for basically the first 70 of its history, BUT one of the most successful since 1970
Colgate - IMO, the most consistent program and has FBS on their side...
Georgetown - good early on and then fell off the cliff due to the administration...
Fordham - similar path as Georgetown but with a little more history...
Bucknell - a whole lot of mediocrity...

Pard4Life
September 11th, 2014, 05:07 PM

Right, because foot ball was radically different from 1932 to 1922.

Bogus Megapardus
September 11th, 2014, 05:10 PM

I'd like to try something similar . . . say, placing arbitrary temporal restrictions on the measure of Holy Cross basketball conference playoff success. The approach seems to fit well with the Crusader fan mindset and can be employed in just about any discussion or comparison.

Serve to chew that drink-stirring straw down to size, it might.

Sader87
September 11th, 2014, 05:12 PM
Holy Cross was actually mostly good to very good from 1950-1964 under HoF HC Dr Anderson's 2nd tour at HC:

1950 (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_game_by_game.php?coachid=48&year=1950)

Holy Cross (MA)

1951 (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_game_by_game.php?coachid=48&year=1951)

Holy Cross (MA)

1952 (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_game_by_game.php?coachid=48&year=1952)

Holy Cross (MA)

1953 (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_game_by_game.php?coachid=48&year=1953)

Holy Cross (MA)

1954 (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_game_by_game.php?coachid=48&year=1954)

Holy Cross (MA)

1955 (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_game_by_game.php?coachid=48&year=1955)

Holy Cross (MA)

1956 (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_game_by_game.php?coachid=48&year=1956)

Holy Cross (MA)

1957 (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_game_by_game.php?coachid=48&year=1957)

Holy Cross (MA)

1958 (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_game_by_game.php?coachid=48&year=1958)

Holy Cross (MA)

1959 (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_game_by_game.php?coachid=48&year=1959)

Holy Cross (MA)

1960 (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_game_by_game.php?coachid=48&year=1960)

Holy Cross (MA)

1961 (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_game_by_game.php?coachid=48&year=1961)

Holy Cross (MA)

1962 (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_game_by_game.php?coachid=48&year=1962)

Holy Cross (MA)

1963 (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_game_by_game.php?coachid=48&year=1963)

Holy Cross (MA)

1964 (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_game_by_game.php?coachid=48&year=1964)

Holy Cross (MA)

Most of those HC teams played a very strong schedule on a national level.

I'll give you the some of the later years of the 60s and the 70s.....though even in the 70s HC teams beat BC, Air Force and Army among others.

DFW HOYA
September 11th, 2014, 05:18 PM

1. Holy Cross
2. Colgate
3. Lehigh
4. Lafayette
7..Bucknell

In terms of winning percentage, the numbers might surprise you:

Colgate 621-488-31 (.558)
Georgetown: 498-400-32 (.553)
Holy Cross: 620-500-55 (.551)
Lehigh: 670-575-45 (.537)
Lafayette: 664-573-39 (.536)
Fordham: 469-439-45 (.516)
Bucknell: 581-565-53 (.507)

Source: CFB Data Warehouse. Apparently, the site does not count those seasons when Fordham went 23-2-1 playing its freshman team (three times), a team called the Jerome Club, or St. Agnes Lyceum, a high school in Paterson, NJ, 1893.

And yes, every school played non-collegiate teams in those days (Georgetown played the local YMCA team twice that season, along with Virginia, Navy, and Penn), but it was an eight game season. How did Fordham get 26 games in?

Bogus Megapardus
September 11th, 2014, 05:19 PM
Owl, allow me to sum up your apt conclusions so everyone here can understand them clearly -

Holy Cross:  ". . . really bad . . ."
Lafayette:  ". . . awesome . . ."
Lehigh:  ". . . average to terrible . . ."
Colgate:  ". . . consistent . . ."
Georgetown:  ". . . fell off the cliff . . ."
Fordham:  ". . . similar . . ."
Bucknell:  ". . . mediocrity . . ."

We win. xnodx

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2014, 05:21 PM
In terms of winning percentage, the numbers might surprise you:

Colgate 621-488-31 (.558)
Georgetown: 498-400-32 (.553)
Holy Cross: 620-500-55 (.551)
Lehigh: 670-575-45 (.537)
Lafayette: 664-573-39 (.536)
Fordham: 469-439-45 (.516)
Bucknell: 581-565-53 (.507)

Georgetown racked up wins in D3 and the MAAC. I honestly thought they might have the best winning percentage. Only since they joined the PL have they hit a wall...

Sader87
September 11th, 2014, 05:26 PM
Holy Cross has played the toughest schedules ovah the years, which only makes our standing in DFW's list look even bettah.

RichH2
Sitting in traffic. Amazing how a weekly pick'em.evolves or devolves into an historical battle of mine is bigger than yours. PL is really just so much fun. Thanks to all :)

Go Lehigh TU owl
Owl, allow me to sum up your apt conclusions so everyone here can understand them clearly -

Holy Cross:  ". . . really bad . . ."
Lafayette:  ". . . awesome . . ."
Lehigh:  ". . . average to terrible . . ."
Colgate:  ". . . consistent . . ."
Georgetown:  ". . . fell off the cliff . . ."
Fordham:  ". . . similar . . ."
Bucknell:  ". . . mediocrity . . ."

We win. xnodx

BUT, Lafayette is the only PL program that has a losing record against the mighty Temple Owls :D.....so that knocks them down a rung...

Bogus Megapardus
September 11th, 2014, 05:28 PM
Georgetown racked up wins in D3 and the MAAC. I honestly thought they might have the best winning percentage. Only since they joined the PL have they hit a wall...

I was going to say, DFW is leaving himself wide open on this one. The Little Sisters of the Poor might have won a close one now and again against the Blessed Mother Retirement Home, but what we're discussing here is actual football.

- - - Updated - - -

BUT, Lafayette is the only PL program that has a losing record against the mighty Temple Owls.

Yeah, but you had Bill Cosby. A ringer. So it's not fair.

Bogus Megapardus
September 11th, 2014, 05:34 PM
Holy Cross has played the toughest schedules ovah the years, which only makes our standing in DFW's list look even bettah.

Take a closer look at the schedules, including the 1950s and 1960s when Lafayette supposedly was "small college." Colgate, HC and Lafayette all played virtually the same (or equivalent) opponents year after year. Cross had Boston College, Colgate had Syracuse and Lafayette had Rutgers. Other than that there's no difference.

DFW HOYA
September 11th, 2014, 05:34 PM
Georgetown racked up wins in D3 and the MAAC.

Georgetown's record in Division III? 98-94-2.

And when it comes to consistent national attention, HC is close to the top.

Still would be, were it not for Fr. Brooks.

Sader87
September 11th, 2014, 05:38 PM
The difference being a lot of the HC skeds in the 50s and early 60s had Syracuse, Rutgers, Penn St and BC etc on the schedule during the same year.

Bogus Megapardus
September 11th, 2014, 05:41 PM
How did Fordham get 26 games in?

No one counts them. It's built in axiomatically to the series of unbiased, scientific formulae that we've established here. One would think with that Georgetown education of yours . . . sheesh. xsmhx

Sader87
September 11th, 2014, 05:47 PM
No one counts them. It's built in axiomatically to the series of unbiased, scientific formulae that we've established here. One would think with that Georgetown education of yours . . . sheesh. xsmhx

lol.....my system, my rules.....nothing's stopping you from doing your own Bogey xrotatehx

Go...gate
September 11th, 2014, 05:55 PM
This is a fascinating discussion. I would say that Lafayette, Holy Cross and Colgate have been the three strongest (or most consistent) programs over the longest period of time. And, like Bogus, I think the stsrt date is November 6, 1869. No more crap about the ovoid ball and such.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 11th, 2014, 05:56 PM
Because Lehigh "university" could afford the trip and its "students" (including the ones who could both count and spell) had little else to do.

But things went astray the next year once "Pudge" Heffelfinger took over and couldn't get the livestock to stop mating at the scrum line. That was a fan favorite for a while, though . . . or so it is reported.

The capstone of Heffelfinger's career came in the Cornell game in 1894 and is summed up brilliantly by the brief addendum note on College Football Data Warehouse - "Lehigh forfeits by walking off the field."

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Bogus Megapardus again.

DFW HOYA
September 11th, 2014, 05:59 PM
It's somewhat surprising that for a man of academic vision, John Brooks S.J. was blind to the opportunities that athletics would have provided Holy Cross.

OK, so maybe the Crusaders wouldn't be playing at 45,000 seat Hanover Insurance Stadium at Fitton Field, with a steady run of ESPN appearances and mid-tier bowl bids over the years. Maybe some of those New England kids that starred at BC or Navy or even Wake Forest might not have considered stating closer to home. Maybe three decades of home basketball games with Syracuse and Georgetown and Villanova and St. John's wouldn't have brought the story of HC to a national audience, the little college that could go toe to toe with the best of them. Maybe the Purple would have never made a run to the Final Four like Big East cellar mates PC and Seton Hall once did. Maybe not.

Instead, Fr. Brooks settled for the NESCAC approach to promoting the school: "those in the know are all that need to know". And HC athletics suffered mightily as a result.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 11th, 2014, 06:00 PM
Lehigh - was average to terrible for basically the first 70 of its history, BUT one of the most successful since 1970

Lehigh had way more success in those early years than you give credit for. There were some serious lean years but 1950 (undefeated/untied) 1957 and 1961 (Lambert Cups) and a decent number of 1800s and 1910s teams were very good and in the conversation for top team in the nation.

Lafayette had much more success in those early years, but that doesn't mean Lehigh was chopped liver.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2014, 06:45 PM
Lehigh had way more success in those early years than you give credit for. There were some serious lean years but 1950 (undefeated/untied) 1957 and 1961 (Lambert Cups) and a decent number of 1800s and 1910s teams were very good and in the conversation for top team in the nation.

Lafayette had much more success in those early years, but that doesn't mean Lehigh was chopped liver.

I agree. I was basically casting a broad net over the teams. Since the formation of 1AA/FCS no one in the league has been as consistent as Lehigh. Even their worst is better, 3-8 in 1992. Everyone else has bottomed out with fewer wins

The one thing that always gets me with Lafayette is the single 9+ win season since 1940. That came in 1981. Their ceiling has not been very high the last half century plus.....

Bogus Megapardus
September 11th, 2014, 07:03 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Bogus Megapardus again.

I appreciate it, LFN. I really do. But you and I both know that the AGS Terms of Service don't allow rep points for barbs tossed indiscriminately at Lehigh, unrelated in any way to the thread topic, when I completely make up the "facts" merely for the purposes of entertainment and amusement. Or almost completely.

The intrepid reporter that you are, you should know better. Almost as shameful as DFW . . . sheesh. xsmhx

Bogus Megapardus
September 11th, 2014, 07:06 PM
Lehigh was chopped liver.

Discuss. xcoffeex

RichH2
September 11th, 2014, 07:16 PM
22 pages and going strong,next highest pick'em is 10 pages :)

ngineer
September 11th, 2014, 07:32 PM
For some reason, Lehigh's record from the mid 1920's to the mid 1940's was downright horrid. I think we only beat Laughyette two or three times in those 20 or so years, hence the current deficit. But I am confident I will see the tide crest before my time is done!

Bogus Megapardus
September 11th, 2014, 07:37 PM
For some reason, Lehigh's record from the mid 1920's to the mid 1940's was downright horrid. I think we only beat Laughyette two or three times in those 20 or so years, hence the current deficit. But I am confident I will see the tide crest before my time is done!

ngineer, why not use the Holy Cross method. Just select an arbitrary, irrelevant slice of time in which Lehigh dominated over Lafayette (and others) and let that be the basis for your conclusions.

You could declare yourselves world champions and no one would have a basis to argue otherwise.

Pard4Life
September 11th, 2014, 08:40 PM
The difference being a lot of the HC skeds in the 50s and early 60s had Syracuse, Rutgers, Penn St and BC etc on the schedule during the same year.

Oh what coulda been. You coulda been in the ACC!

Pard4Life
September 11th, 2014, 08:41 PM
lol.....my system, my rules.....nothing's stopping you from doing your own Bogey xrotatehx

I believe it's called "Calvinball."

Pard4Life
September 11th, 2014, 09:05 PM
Oh right, need to make my picks... who is playing again?

Last week: 6-0
Season: 11-0

Holy Cross 31, CCSU 28... What's this? The indomitable Saders win close games? Fate is reversed from the 1946 Orange Bowl fluke, and HC wins on the last play of the game.

Fordham 45, URI 14... Over early and often. Practice must have been painful this week for the Rams and look to take it out on the Rams.

UNH 38, Lehigh 17... Welcome to the dungeon. Time for the big boys. Like carney says, you need to wear your sh$@! brown sweatshirt with chicken squawks on the front. It's a big game. No fairy tale this year, unless UNH goes stupid again.

Delaware 24, Colgate 20... Not sure what expect from Gate. Delaware usually humiliates Gate but me thinks Gate might not be a cream puff this year.

Lafayette 24, Robert Morris 10... We have a lot of work to do on offense. We should destroy this team, but we won't. The defense will keep us in the game and even net a score. No matter what happens, things will be disappointing for the Pards.

Marist 28, Georgetown 21... now this is a game! Pure toss up. Gtown scores the most TDs it will in all of 2014 but the last chance of victory slips away on a late Marist score.

DFW HOYA
September 11th, 2014, 09:09 PM
Gtown scores the most TDs it will in all of 2014 but the last chance of victory slips away on a late Marist score.

So, you're not planning high hopes for the scoring against Harvard, Lehigh, or Fordham?

Bogus Megapardus
September 11th, 2014, 09:23 PM
I believe it's called "Calvinball."

That is correct, P4L.

The Rules of Calvinball

Permanent Rule: You may not play Calvinball the same way twice.

Primary Rule: The following rules are subject to be changed, amended, or deleted by any player(s) involved. These rules are not required, nor necessary to play Calvinball.

1.0. The following words in these rules are mostly freely interchangeable; the Primary Rule applies at all times:

Can

May

Must

Shall

Should

Will

Would

1.1. All players must wear a Calvinball mask (See Calvinball Equipment - 2.1). No one may question the masks.

1.2. Any player may declare a new rule at any point in the game. The player may do this audibly or silently depending on what zone (Refer to Rule 1.5) the player is in.

1.3. A player may use the Calvinball (See Calvinball Equipment - 2.2) in any way the player see fits, whether it be to incur injury upon other players or to gain benefits for himself.

1.4. Any penalty legislation may be in the form of pain, embarrassment, or any degradation the ruler wishes to execute upon the other player.

1.5. The Calvinball Field (See Calvinball Equipment - 2.3) should consist of areas, or zones, which are governed by a set of rules declared by players. Zones may be appear and disappear as often and wherever the player decides. For example, a corollary zone would enable a player to make a corollary (sub-rule) to any rule already made. Or a pernicious poem place would require the intruder to do what the name implies. Or an opposite zone would enable a player to declare reverse playability on the others. (Remember, the player would declare this zone oppositely by not declaring it.)

1.6. Flags (Calvinball Equipment 2.3) shall be named by players whom shall also assign the power and rules which shall govern that flag.

1.7. Songs are an integral part of Calvinball and verses must be sung spontaneously through the game when randomly assigned events occur.

1.8. Score may be kept or disregarded. In the event that score is kept, it shall have no bearing on the game nor shall it have any logical consistency to it. (Legal scores include 'Q to 12', 'BW-109 to YU-34, and 'Nosebleed to Pelvic Fracture'.)

Calvinball Equipment:

2.1. Mask - All participants are required to wear a mask

2.2. Calvinball - A Calvinball may be a soccer ball, volleyball, or any other reasonable ball. Bowling balls are accepted.

2.3. Calvinball Field - The Calvinball Field should be any well-sized field, preferably with trees, rocks, grass, creeks, and other natural obstacles.

2.4. Miscellaneous - Other optional equipment include flags, wickets (especially of the time-fracture variety), and anything else the players wish to include.

Calvinball Miscellaneous:

3.1. Before, During or After the Game the Calvinball Song can/may/must/can't/may not/mustn't be sung:

"Other kids' games are all such a bore!
They've gotta have rules and they gotta keep score!
Calvinball is better by far!
It's never the same! It's always bizarre!
You don't need a team or a referee!
You know that it's great, 'cause it's named after me!"
(Backup-Singing "Rumma Tum Tums")

3.2. Calvinball quotes include but are not limited to:

"feel free to harmonize with Hobbes on the Rumma-tum-tums" (Calvin to Rosalyn)
"No sport is less organized then Calvinball" (Hobbes)
"Sooner or later, all our games turn into Calvinball." (Calvin)
"The score is still Q to 12!" (Calvin)

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2014, 09:31 PM
10-1 Overall,

This could be another bad week for the league....or a surprisingly good one...I really don't think Colgate or Lehigh are "outclassed"....

Holy Cross 24 CCSU 21 - I'll take the home team in what should be a close game...

Fordham 38 URI 27 - Fordham absolutely needs to win this, I'm not 100% convinced they well....

Georgetown 17 Marist 14 - Win this or go 0'fer...

Lafayette 21 Robert Morris 17 - Robert Morris is battles tested but the Leopards are simply better....right?

Delaware 30 Colgate 24 - I'd like to take the Raiders but their record against the CAA over the last decade is terrible. I'll play the odds....

UNH 45 Lehigh 34 - Lehigh will be able to score on the Wildcats but I see no way they stop Steriti and Harris....

crusader11
September 12th, 2014, 08:50 AM
8-3 on the season...

Home teams across the board:

Lehigh'98
September 12th, 2014, 09:05 AM
Miserable OOC performance so far this year from the new and improved PL: Reverse the curse or same ole'?

PL Pickem record 2014: Dismal Failure

HC 24 CCSU 27 - Wanna give benefit of doubt, but cant
URI 24 FU 51 - Fordham needs to regroup. URI is just the team to do it against
LU 28 UNH 35 - I think Bott will regroup Def and UNH wont be in the 50's like many predict, but can this group win close games as in past? havent shown so yet.

Lehigh'98
September 12th, 2014, 09:07 AM
Miserable OOC performance so far this year from the new and improved PL: Reverse the curse or same ole'?

PL Pickem record 2014: Dismal Failure

HC 24 CCSU 27 - Wanna give benefit of doubt, but cant
URI 24 FU 51 - Fordham needs to regroup. URI is just the team to do it against
LU 28 UNH 35 - I think Bott will regroup Def and UNH wont be in the 50's like many predict, but can this group win close games as in past? havent shown so yet.
Bob Mo 17 Laf 24 - Closer than it should be, hopefully they have improved since 2012 enough to beat RMU
Georgetown 28 Marist 17 - Start of a big winning streak for Gtown??
Gate 28 Del 42 - Would love to see Colgate win here, but their OOC performance not so great lately. Maybe new coach will help?

Sader87
September 12th, 2014, 11:04 AM
From CROSSPORTS:

A very ****y and smarmy 11-0 HAL9000 asked me this morning: "What are you going to bore me with this week mere mortal?" Given this week's games he spat back in a somewhat condescending fashion:

Fordham 34 URI 17 The NY Rams right the ship back in da Bronx.

UNH 38 Lehigh 20 Wildcats have had two weeks to prepare for the Engineers. Payback from last year's loss in Betlehem.

Marist 3 GTown 2 Rik Smits suits up and blocks potential game-winning FG.

Lafayette 24 RMU 16 The Pards are better than they showed last week. Get the win in Easton.

Delaware 27 Colgate 17 This one gave HAL pause for a bit. The Fighting Blue Hens don't seem to be the quality of past vintage, Colgate lost to a pretty good Ball St squad in somewhat respectable fashion. HAL went with past performance ultimately.

Holy Cross 31 CCSU 21 HAL thought this could be a Crusader blow-out but most HC games seem to go down to the wire....he split the difference.

Pard4Life
September 12th, 2014, 02:21 PM
That is correct, P4L.

The Rules of Calvinball

Permanent Rule: You may not play Calvinball the same way twice.

Primary Rule: The following rules are subject to be changed, amended, or deleted by any player(s) involved. These rules are not required, nor necessary to play Calvinball.

1.0. The following words in these rules are mostly freely interchangeable; the Primary Rule applies at all times:

Can

May

Must

Shall

Should

Will

Would

1.1. All players must wear a Calvinball mask (See Calvinball Equipment - 2.1). No one may question the masks.

1.2. Any player may declare a new rule at any point in the game. The player may do this audibly or silently depending on what zone (Refer to Rule 1.5) the player is in.

1.3. A player may use the Calvinball (See Calvinball Equipment - 2.2) in any way the player see fits, whether it be to incur injury upon other players or to gain benefits for himself.

1.4. Any penalty legislation may be in the form of pain, embarrassment, or any degradation the ruler wishes to execute upon the other player.

1.5. The Calvinball Field (See Calvinball Equipment - 2.3) should consist of areas, or zones, which are governed by a set of rules declared by players. Zones may be appear and disappear as often and wherever the player decides. For example, a corollary zone would enable a player to make a corollary (sub-rule) to any rule already made. Or a pernicious poem place would require the intruder to do what the name implies. Or an opposite zone would enable a player to declare reverse playability on the others. (Remember, the player would declare this zone oppositely by not declaring it.)

1.6. Flags (Calvinball Equipment 2.3) shall be named by players whom shall also assign the power and rules which shall govern that flag.

1.7. Songs are an integral part of Calvinball and verses must be sung spontaneously through the game when randomly assigned events occur.

1.8. Score may be kept or disregarded. In the event that score is kept, it shall have no bearing on the game nor shall it have any logical consistency to it. (Legal scores include 'Q to 12', 'BW-109 to YU-34, and 'Nosebleed to Pelvic Fracture'.)

Calvinball Equipment:

2.1. Mask - All participants are required to wear a mask

2.2. Calvinball - A Calvinball may be a soccer ball, volleyball, or any other reasonable ball. Bowling balls are accepted.

2.3. Calvinball Field - The Calvinball Field should be any well-sized field, preferably with trees, rocks, grass, creeks, and other natural obstacles.

2.4. Miscellaneous - Other optional equipment include flags, wickets (especially of the time-fracture variety), and anything else the players wish to include.

Calvinball Miscellaneous:

3.1. Before, During or After the Game the Calvinball Song can/may/must/can't/may not/mustn't be sung:

"Other kids' games are all such a bore!
They've gotta have rules and they gotta keep score!
Calvinball is better by far!
It's never the same! It's always bizarre!
You don't need a team or a referee!
You know that it's great, 'cause it's named after me!"
(Backup-Singing "Rumma Tum Tums")

3.2. Calvinball quotes include but are not limited to:

"feel free to harmonize with Hobbes on the Rumma-tum-tums" (Calvin to Rosalyn)
"No sport is less organized then Calvinball" (Hobbes)
"Sooner or later, all our games turn into Calvinball." (Calvin)
"The score is still Q to 12!" (Calvin)

Very nice! I'd rep you, but I've reached my limit.

Leopard Loyalist
September 12th, 2014, 03:25 PM
I too am going with the home teams this week:

TheValleyRaider
September 12th, 2014, 10:59 PM
What a week. I'm gone for a while, come back to see Bucknell fans arguing about football, Holy Cross fans defending the Patriot League, Colgate once again given the League's banner (after a loss, no less), and the rules of Calvinball. Rumma-tum-tum, indeed.

5-1 last week, 8-3 overall. Keeping it short and sweet on a Friday night

Central Connecticut State at Holy Cross Holy Cross Crusaders like to live dangerously, pull it out in home sweet Fitton

Rhode Island at Fordham Fordham Rams bounce back at home in my favorite rivalry between teams whose only real connection is their shared nickname

Lehigh at New Hampshire New Hampshire A tough loss at home isn't a bad showing, but UNH sure looks better than JMU

Robert Morris at Lafayette Lafayette Colonials look dangerous, I'll skew to League pride and the home team

Georgetown at Marist Georgetown I know the Hoyas aren't in great shape, but this really is their big opportunity for a W

Colgate at Delaware Colgate Because I can. I regret nothing. And because 2003 was a long time ago. Also, everyone else is picking us to keep it close, which feels weird for some reason.

LUHawker
September 13th, 2014, 07:34 AM
Lehigh at New Hampshire New Hampshire A tough loss at home isn't a bad showing, but UNH sure looks better than JMU

New Hampshire has played exactly 1 game this year and got throttled in a game most were expecting to be much closer. So why does everyone keep stating that UNH rooks much better than JMU?

Lehigh in a thriller.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 13th, 2014, 08:39 AM
New Hampshire has played exactly 1 game this year and got throttled in a game most were expecting to be much closer. So why does everyone keep stating that UNH rooks much better than JMU?

Lehigh in a thriller.

Toledo has not looked good since the UNH game. Today will be interesting...

RichH2
September 13th, 2014, 08:49 AM
Toledo has not looked good since the UNH game. Today will be interesting...
Caveat. Toledo looked quite good in the 2nd half,made a game of it.

Pard4Life
September 13th, 2014, 09:14 AM

Lehigh in a thriller.

Is your last name Simspon?

Because you sure sound like a Homer!

Lehigh Football Nation
September 13th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Here are my picks this week.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2014/09/lehighunh-broadcaststream-info-and-week.html

4-2 last week, 9-3 overall. Overconfidence in Lafayette my main weakness last week. Lost HC, but picked a close game last week.

Bogus Megapardus
September 13th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Gotta get these in under the wire here . . .

UNH over the Brown Town Frown Nouns, 38-20, because they tried to start a thread to compete with "Lafayette at New Hampshire."

Holy Cross over CConn, 28-17, because I only now found out that college football didn't begin until 1930. Who knew?

Sheep over Rams, 27-14, because Fordham girls like it on top.

Gate falls to Les Poules Bleues, 21-20, because those Backwoods Hamiltonians got a municipal citation last night for brushing in the Delaware.

The Marquis surrenders to Robert Morris, 28-26, because, hey . . . no Tailback, no Frankosaurus, no can win.

The Marist Brothers repress The Little Sisters of the Poor, 27-20, because it would be blasphemous to allow the Hoyas a win over their most-played Division I rival. As highly-touted as this game has been this week, I cannot support the all-out effort by legions of Georgetown fans to detract attention from the ONLY Rivalry Game that matters this year.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 13th, 2014, 12:01 PM
First set of games about to kick off!!

Bogus Megapardus
September 13th, 2014, 12:09 PM
1:00 PM Games

URI at Fordham:

http://www.campusinsiders.com/network/patriot_league/live/football-rhode-island-at-fordham--1

CConn at Holy Cross:

http://www.campusinsiders.com/network/patriot_league/live/football-central-connecticut-at-holy-cross

NOTE: Remember to adjust your Flash settings to allow the stream player to store 100 MB of cache information on your computer. Many people had a problem with this last weekend. If you've installed a Flash update in the interim the settings might have defaulted (like it did for me) so check it again.

See this post from last week for instructions:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?158853-Patriot-League-Pick-em-Week-2&p=2138490&viewfull=1#post2138490

Also if you use a script blocker (such as "NoScript") and/or a Flash blocker (such as "FlashStopper") make certain that you disable them for the Campus Insiders and the Livestream sites.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 13th, 2014, 12:12 PM
CCSU was going to go for a 4th and 1 at the HC 17 but moved early. Ended up missing a 40 yard FG....

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 13th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Fordham has two turnovers in the first 6 minutes against URI...

Bogus Megapardus
September 13th, 2014, 12:27 PM
Gotta love the quality of these high-definition PLN streams, but the Holy Cross camera guy needs to use a steadier hand!

Bogus Megapardus
September 13th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Viewing tip -

You can watch both the Holy Cross game and the Fordham game at the same time, each in its own discrete window. To do this successfully, install the current version of the Maxthon Browser (http://www.maxthon.com/). Using the Maxthon Browser, open the two games on Campus Insiders in separate tabs. Hover your cursor over the player window for the first game and you'll see a little box that opens up with a "Pop-up" option. Click on it and the game will open up on your desktop in its own discrete window. Do the same thing for the other game.

You can then minimize (but do not actually close) the main Maxthon browser and you'll have two discrete, size-adjustable windows on an otherwise-blank desktop. How you deal with the two conflicting audio steams is your business! xrolleyesx

DFW HOYA
September 13th, 2014, 12:50 PM
Gotta love the quality of these high-definition PLN streams, but the Holy Cross camera guy needs to use a steadier hand!

Bob Fouracre sounds like he's calling the game from inside a drum. The Fordham PBP is much clearer.

Bogus Megapardus
September 13th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Georgetown fans, don't think we don't all love ya. Come game time, try this:

http://wiz1.net/channel47

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 13th, 2014, 02:06 PM
Holy Cross is struggling on offense. They still need more weapons....