18. Bethune-Cookman Wildcats 1-0 1109 22
19. Furman Paladins 1-0 1004 21
20. Montana State Bobcats 0-1 965 18
21. William & Mary Tribe 0-1 945 19
22. Towson Tigers 0-1 829 13
23. Youngstown State Penguins 0-1 540 24
24. Maine Black Bears 1-0 469 25
25. Northern Arizona Lumberjacks 0-1 352 23

Others receiving votes: Southern Illinois 323, South Carolina State 176, Liberty 141, Central Arkansas 126, Central Connecticut State 107, Wofford 94, Princeton 64, Samford 62, Cal Poly 54, Delaware 44, Harvard 42, James Madison 37, Southern Utah 37, Charleston Southern 23, Gardner-Webb 19, Missouri State 15, Alcorn State 13, Sacred Heart 12, North Carolina A&T 12, Stephen F. Austin 11, Southern 10, Alabama State 9, Illinois State 9, Eastern Kentucky 8, Lehigh 7, Southeast Missouri State 7,Western Illinois 6, Duquesne 3, Bryant 2, Norfolk State 2, San Diego 1, Sacramento State 1, Indiana State 1, Murray State 1.

stevdock
September 1st, 2014, 12:24 PM
Coaches poll is so messed up, especially when you look at the bottom of the receiving votes. Nothing against Indiana State, because I know they put together a nice game against Indiana. But are they a top 25 team?? I'm sure you could ask the same question for a lot of those teams down there.

Houndawg
September 1st, 2014, 12:37 PM
SIU and EIU will be switching places next week.

BisonTru
September 1st, 2014, 12:41 PM
IMO

Too high - Montana, Eastern Illinois, Towson, Montana State

Too low - Villanova, Northerrn Iowa, Richmond, Southern Illinois

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammersmith
September 1st, 2014, 12:44 PM
Coaches poll is so messed up, especially when you look at the bottom of the receiving votes. Nothing against Indiana State, because I know they put together a nice game against Indiana. But are they a top 25 team?? I'm sure you could ask the same question for a lot of those teams down there.
This is the media poll, not the coaches poll.

Drblankstare
September 1st, 2014, 02:33 PM
UNI at 8 is just silly to me. Top 5

NoDak 4 Ever
September 1st, 2014, 02:36 PM
Too low:

North Dakota State.

just sayin.....

Pard4Life
September 1st, 2014, 03:14 PM
Lehigh... too high.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2014, 03:17 PM
Lehigh... too high.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1011439/lehigh_1.jpg

NoDak 4 Ever
September 1st, 2014, 03:18 PM
I just realized that SEMO got some votes, I get to see them this weekend! So exciting seeing a ranked (in some peoples eyes) team!

underdawg
September 1st, 2014, 05:15 PM
SIU checks in at #25 in Coaches FCS Poll--that makes five MVFC teams in that top 25.

TheRevSFA
September 1st, 2014, 05:32 PM
I guess SFA got votes for beating the spread? I mean no INTs against K State isn't a bad start

Red & Black
September 1st, 2014, 05:58 PM
IMO

Agreed, except for Montana State. I think they're right about where they should be.

skinny_uncle
September 1st, 2014, 08:12 PM
SIU checks in at #25 in Coaches FCS Poll--that makes five MVFC teams in that top 25.

You would love http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cf2014&sub=11605. 5 Valley Teams in his top 10.

underdawg
September 1st, 2014, 08:18 PM
You would love http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cf2014&sub=11605. 5 Valley Teams in his top 10.

Thanks skinny--but I think we found out last year that those computer ratings plus a quarter will buy us a cup of coffee---not a play-off bid.

Lehigh'98
September 1st, 2014, 08:20 PM
Lehigh... too high.

Seek professional help.

skinny_uncle
September 1st, 2014, 08:23 PM
Seek professional help.
Probably good advice for LeHigh fans.

Lehigh'98
September 1st, 2014, 08:53 PM
Probably good advice for LeHigh fans.

It's fantastic advice for us as most of us are ridiculouslehigh on our teams chances. even more so for certain Leopard fans who get upset anytime a positive word is uttered about us.

Great W for SIU last week btw. Was it against the blind sisters of faith academy?

Red & Black
September 1st, 2014, 09:02 PM

E. Illinois at 2, SDSU at 3...what am I missing here...

Skyhawk71
September 1st, 2014, 09:03 PM
SEMO with 7 for whipping MOBAP & Murray 1 for beating Union College- both will not finish above 6th in the OVC- but live the dream

skinny_uncle
September 1st, 2014, 09:03 PM
It's fantastic advice for us as most of us are ridiculouslehigh on our teams chances. even more so for certain Leopard fans who get upset anytime a positive word is uttered about us.

Great W for SIU last week btw. Was it against the blind sisters of faith academy?
They weren't available. Took what we could get (cheap).

clenz
September 1st, 2014, 11:01 PM

Yeah...what are you missing?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

MTfan4life
September 2nd, 2014, 03:29 AM
IMO

Agree on all of those!! Montana is way too high. They keep ascending, and I don't understand why. Last season MT was ranked 8th in the final poll (which was a little high), moved up to 5th in the preseason even though the line and defense was decimated by graduation, and now up to 4th after losing, albeit close, to lower tier FBS Wyoming. I feel like if we lose to Central Washington, we might have a shot at a top 2 pick! ;)

mainejeff
September 2nd, 2014, 06:31 AM
Central Connecticut should be in the poll and ahead of Towson. Delaware getting 44 votes is laughable.

REALBird
September 2nd, 2014, 10:05 AM
Not sure what the Coaches were smoking, but that Poll is all over the place. I'm hoping time will permit me to analyze as the season goes on, but just looking at TSN Poll, seeing some things that I can already question.
#1-#3 No complaints

#6 UNH loses by 34 to Toledo, drops two spots.
#9 Jacksonville St. loses to Michigan St. by 38 yet drops 3 spots.

I'm willing to bet even money that Michigan State at the end of the year has a much better squad than Toldeo, and that the quality of Jacksonville St.'s loss albeit by 30+ points is still to a much better team. Maybe a little UNH bias on behalf of the pollsters.

#12 SDSU loses by 20 and drops two spots, and that two spot drop is consistent amongst all of the FCS schools who lost to a FBS school by at least 20 points (See #20 Montana St, #21 William & Mary, #25 Northern Arizona) who all dropped two spots after their loss.

BUT.......Eastern Illinois must have a few dirty pics of some of the pollsters as they lost by 22 to Minnesota, yet their position remained unchanged. Hmmmmmmmm.......

The Pollsters apparently like close loses to FCS schools, with close meaning by less than 15 points as (#4 Montana (-5), #9 UNI (-8), #10 Villanova (-1), #13 Chattanooga (-4), & #22 Youngstown (-11) all lost on the road at FBS schools and STILL moved up at least one spot in the Polls.

Bethune-Cookman was the biggest winner jumping up 4 spots for beating FCS Florida International, and Towson.....wow...one loss drops you 9 spots.

I can live with all of the above, but would love to know the logic behind EIU not falling two spots, why Jacksonville State fell 3 spots after losing to last years Big Ten and Rose Bowl champion, yet darling UNH only dropped two spots for losing to an inferior Toledo squad.

clenz
September 2nd, 2014, 10:23 AM
Replying to remember to reply to that post later

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Houndawg
September 2nd, 2014, 11:27 AM
Not sure what the Coaches were smoking, but that Poll is all over the place. I'm hoping time will permit me to analyze as the season goes on, but just looking at TSN Poll, seeing some things that I can already question.
#1-#3 No complaints

I'm willing to bet even money that Michigan State at the end of the year has a much better squad than Toldeo, and that the quality of Jacksonville St.'s loss albeit by 30+ points is still to a much better team. Maybe a little UNH bias on behalf of the pollsters.

#12 SDSU loses by 20 and drops two spots, and that two spot drop is consistent amongst all of the FCS schools who lost to a FBS school by at least 20 points (See #20 Montana St, #21 William & Mary, #25 Northern Arizona) who all dropped two spots after their loss.

BUT.......Eastern Illinois must have a few dirty pics of some of the pollsters as they lost by 22 to Minnesota, yet their position remained unchanged. Hmmmmmmmm.......

The Pollsters apparently like close loses to FCS schools, with close meaning by less than 15 points as (#4 Montana (-5), #9 UNI (-8), #10 Villanova (-1), #13 Chattanooga (-4), & #22 Youngstown (-11) all lost on the road at FBS schools and STILL moved up at least one spot in the Polls.

Bethune-Cookman was the biggest winner jumping up 4 spots for beating FCS Florida International, and Towson.....wow...one loss drops you 9 spots.

I can live with all of the above, but would love to know the logic behind EIU not falling two spots, why Jacksonville State fell 3 spots after losing to last years Big Ten and Rose Bowl champion, yet darling UNH only dropped two spots for losing to an inferior Toledo squad.

They'll be exposed this week...xthumbsupx

clenz
September 2nd, 2014, 11:49 AM
#1-#3 No complaints

I can't speak for anyone else, but this is my rational for what I did with each team that you mentioned

#9 Jacksonville St. loses to Michigan St. by 38 yet drops 3 spots.I had New Hampshire 5 preseason and 10 this past week. The reason I dropped them is that second half was real bad for UNH. I don't know if Toledo's talent took over, UNH has a real lack of depth, lack of conditioning, etc... I think they are matched up with the FCS better but I saw better things from other teams.

Jacksonville State I had 12 preseason and 19 after this past week. I am not buying into the JSU hype as much as everyone else. MSU is a great team but JSU didn't even look remotely competitive at any point in the game in any position.

I dropped UNH 5 and JSU 7. Both go blown out...one showed flashes of not being completely over-hyped.

SDSU was my #9 preseason and I actually moved them to #8 this week but are on the edge of a free fall. I moved them up because they showed me enough, other than that horrendous first 8 minutes of the game, that they are a serious threat right now. Having said that, the loss of Sumner for at least 6 weeks will keep them from going too much higher in my poll, without really showing something.

Montana State I had 19 preseason and in the consideration pile this week. Arkansas State isn't great and MSU has to show me that they are able to still be good without Denarius at QB. Last season when they lost him they looked bad. I worry that the same will happen this year. They are teetering on a ledge of top 25, just outside, and falling off completely for me.

NAU I didn't rank preseason, but had them at the very bottom of my consideration list, and they fell off that list this week. Much like Denarius at Montana State they need to show me that Baumen wasn't their entire offense. They'll probably bounce around the 22-34 range for me for quite a while.

If you've read this board at all you know I don't trust OVC teams, especially EIU this season. I had them 22 preseason and 22 this week. Part of that is the 19-27 range is all really close. The reason I kept them there is they did to Minnesota about what I expected, and I'm pretty clear on how I treat FBS games..it's been posted multiple times if you want to look for it. Their offense still looks to be above average. Their defense not so much. Yes, I know all their points came late in the 4th quarter but it's not like Minnesota really dominated that game at all. I don't know if that says more about EIU or the Goofers. EIU outgained Minnesota. What worries me is EIU's defensive, and special teams, numbers look bad. Trust me when I say 1 slip from EIU and they are gone. If they lose to SIU by more than 10-13 points they are out of my poll, depending what else goes on obviously. If they keep it respectable/win then I will reevaluate them.

The Pollsters apparently like close loses to FCS schools, with close meaning by less than 15 points as (#4 Montana (-5), #9 UNI (-8), #10 Villanova (-1), #13 Chattanooga (-4), & #22 Youngstown (-11) all lost on the road at FBS schools and STILL moved up at least one spot in the Polls.I moved Montana down 3 from 6 to 9, and they could have fallen further but I don't trust teams behind them. The thing is, I don't rank record. I rank teams/performance.

I kept UNI where I had them. They had the most impressive showing I believe.

Nova went from 8 to 6. They were third most impressive showing for me. I really like what I saw from them. I think their play calling is questionable though.

Chatty I moved from 16 to 13. Part of this was I wasn't impressed with people I had just a head or behind them. I don't know if I trust Chatty to stay top 13, but right now I feel that they should be there.

Youngstown State was a big mover for me. They went from near bottom of consideration to 20..probably a 10-12 spot jump. Illinois isn't great, but YSU showed me a lot more than I expected and more than anyone else in that area. I'm hated by YSU fans because I don't ever trust them. They are there but quite precariously right now.

B-C I moved from 25-21. I don't trust them. FIU isn't good. FBS scalp is great, didn't show me a ton.

Towson is NAU/MSU with me. I dropped them from 17 to barley considered. I think without West they are in for a rude awakening.

URMite
September 2nd, 2014, 11:50 AM

You are missing the weight given to last season's performance. That explains Towson at 12, and Richmond at 26. I don't believe Towson would be at 12 solely based on this season's performance.

SHUAlumni55
September 2nd, 2014, 12:04 PM
No respect in the polls for the NEC. I just don't get it! You cant look at the past 2 years of OOC games and not make a case for top NEC teams to be ranked in the top 25 annually!!!!

citdog
September 2nd, 2014, 12:06 PM
No respect in the polls for the NEC. I just don't get it! You cant look at the past 2 years of OOC games and not make a case for top NEC teams to be ranked in the top 25 annually!!!!

Yes you can. That conference is only beginning to show signs of being halfway decent.

SHUAlumni55
September 2nd, 2014, 12:55 PM
Yes you can. That conference is only beginning to show signs of being halfway decent.

Please make your case against Duquesne, Bryant, SHU and Cent. Connecticut OOCs games this week... When CCSU beats the number 7 team in the rankings and only moves into the "others receiving votes" category there is clear bias in the polls.

last year:
SHU won the conference last year and played 4 tough quarters of football @ Fordham but 4 turnovers were the difference. Almost the whole team returns this year and they start the season in the only "Others receiving votes". Then in week 2 they manhandle Marist last years PFL co-champions. What more do you pollsters want then what the NEC is doing?

clenz
September 2nd, 2014, 01:01 PM
Please make your case against Duquesne, Bryant, SHU and Cent. Connecticut OOCs games this week... When CCSU beats the number 7 team in the rankings and only moves into the "others receiving votes" category there is clear bias in the polls.

last year:
SHU won the conference last year and played 4 tough quarters of football @ Fordham but 4 turnovers were the difference. Almost the whole team returns this year and they start the season in the only "Others receiving votes". Then in week 2 they manhandle Marist last years PFL co-champions. What more do you pollsters want then what the NEC is doing?
Start winning games on a consistent basis...not once in a while against teams that a bunch of idiots overrated based on last season (Towson).

citdog
September 2nd, 2014, 01:02 PM

last year:

What the NEC is doing is IMPROVING. Let us see if they can keep it up. Quite frankly you really have nowhere to go but up. The NEC isn't the MVFC, CAA, Big Sky, or the SoCon.

clenz
September 2nd, 2014, 01:09 PM
What the NEC is doing is IMPROVING. Let us see if they can keep it up. Quite frankly you really have nowhere to go but up. The NEC isn't the MVFC, CAA, Big Sky, or the SoCon.
They finally got a win worth bragging about.

When/if those start to happen regularly then we can have a legitimate discussion on NEC teams being screwed...until then? No

REALBird
September 2nd, 2014, 01:11 PM
Clenz,

I appreciate the response and your explanation of how you ranked the teams. I can live with those explanations. One more question. Sam Houston State loses by 3 TD's at THEN #1 Eastern Washington, and then comes back and rebounds with a W over a lesser opponent. I would have figured they would have dropped a slot or two as well based on not being in the ballpark with EWU. Instead seems the pollsters totally dismissed a drubbing by EWU, but give credit to SHSU for a cakewalk against Alabama State? Once again, appreciate the feedback. This is not a criticism of you per se, just looking at how I viewed some inconsistencies in how TSN ranked the teams this week.

The game seemed a lot closer than it was, until EWU tacked on a couple of 4Q TD's, but a loss is a loss. They should have at least dropped a spot or two IMHO.

clenz
September 2nd, 2014, 01:13 PM
Clenz,

I appreciate the response and your explanation of how you ranked the teams. I can live with those explanations. One more question. Sam Houston State loses by 3 TD's at THEN #1 Eastern Washington, and then comes back and rebounds with a W over a lesser opponent. I would have figured they would have dropped a slot or two as well based on not being in the ballpark with EWU. Instead seems the pollsters totally dismissed a drubbing by EWU, but give credit to SHSU for a cakewalk against Alabama State? Once again, appreciate the feedback. This is not a criticism of you per se, just looking at how I viewed some inconsistencies in how TSN ranked the teams this week.

The game seemed a lot closer than it was, until EWU tacked on a couple of 4Q TD's, but a loss is a loss. They should have at least dropped a spot or two IMHO.
That game WAS a lot closer than that final score.

I didn't knock SHSU for that, I actually moved them up (21 preseason and 14 this week) because they showed me a TON in that loss...more than some teams showed in their wins.

Again, looking at the W/L when ranking teams is a terrible way to do things. Nothing happens in a vacuum and it isn't just ranking that team. It's how/where they fit in the puzzle. I think SHSU beats everyone I have behind them in my poll.

robsnotes4u
September 2nd, 2014, 04:31 PM
Polls remind me of the psychology study where 49 grad students were given given wine. Half given a wine with a California label, the others giving the same wine with a North Dakota label. The wine with the California label was perceived to taste better http://foodpsychology.cornell.edu/summaries/ndakota

The same thing happens in polls. Voters, give the nod to historically good teams instead of a team that is better now, whose conference or team is historically not as good. This is even bigger when the voters haven't watched any games.

FBS vs FCS
Certain conference vs Certain Conferences

Pretty tough to watch all games every week and work, the reason I don't like to do polls myself. From the games I watched, not a lot but 14 teams.

EWU vs SHSU
UND vs San Jose St
NDSU vs ISU
Montana vs Wyoming
Montana State vs Arkansas State
Villanova vs Syracuse
Abilene Christian vs Georgia State.

Two best performances by FCS schools; NDSU and Villanova. One game doesn't make a season, and I can't wait for 4 games in to see how it all starts to shape up. Wish I could have seen the Central Arkansas Texas Tech game.

BEAR
September 2nd, 2014, 04:53 PM
Polls remind me of the psychology study where 49 grad students were given given wine. Half given a wine with a California label, the others giving the same wine with a North Dakota label. The wine with the California label was perceived to taste better http://foodpsychology.cornell.edu/summaries/ndakota

The same thing happens in polls. Voters, give the nod to historically good teams instead of a team that is better now, whose conference or team is historically not as good. This is even bigger when the voters haven't watched any games.

FBS vs FCS
Certain conference vs Certain Conferences

Pretty tough to watch all games every week and work, the reason I don't like to do polls myself. From the games I watched, not a lot but 14 teams.

EWU vs SHSU
UND vs San Jose St
NDSU vs ISU
Montana vs Wyoming
Montana State vs Arkansas State
Villanova vs Syracuse
Abilene Christian vs Georgia State.

Two best performances by FCS schools; NDSU and Villanova. One game doesn't make a season, and I can't wait for 4 games in to see how it all starts to shape up. Wish I could have seen the Central Arkansas Texas Tech game.

That's a game UCA could have won. I probably counted 5 passes to wide open receivers that were overthrown by our QB..a couple in the end zone I believe were defended nicely but still catchable. I'm not sure if UCA was that good or Tech was that bad but UCA brings a TON to the table this year in a conference that has SELA, McNeese and Transfer U..Sam. That's 4 teams that will be in the top 25 or even top 15 in a few weeks! The 19 seniors plus this new coach have created a new and different environment. No longer is it just playing with talent..now it seems talent plus fire or effort come into play at twice the speed. UCA ran 94 plays against Tech.....94. Ate up the clock and played some pretty good defense just had some breakdowns as expected against an FBS team that won its bowl game last year against a pretty good team in Arizona State. Keep an eye on those bears... up next, UT Martin, Montana State and Missouri State.

robsnotes4u
September 2nd, 2014, 05:01 PM
I will definitely watch them against Montana State. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

aceinthehole
September 2nd, 2014, 08:43 PM
They finally got a win worth bragging about.

When/if those start to happen regularly then we can have a legitimate discussion on NEC teams being screwed...until then? No

I'm not going to make a big case for CCSU to be ranked this week, but SHU should have been top-25 to start the season based on last year, what they are returning. Plus they won big in week 1.

A solid win for CCSU this week, and a win by SHU should probably put both teams in the top-25 consideration.

For the record, this is Central's 2nd win vs. a ranked team. Also, let's not forget last year CCSU lost to a #19 Lehigh in OT. The point is in recent years CCSU has beaten teams from the CAA, SoCon, Patriot, Ivy, and MEAC.

citdog
September 2nd, 2014, 09:15 PM
I'm not going to make a big case for CCSU to be ranked this week, but SHU should have been top-25 to start the season based on last year, what they are returning. Plus they won big in week 1.

A solid win for CCSU this week, and a win by SHU should probably put both teams in the top-25 consideration.

For the record, this is Central's 2nd win vs. a ranked team. Also, let's not forget last year CCSU lost to a #19 Lehigh in OT. The point is in recent years CCSU has beaten teams from the CAA, SoCon, Patriot, Ivy, and MEAC.

le high was to high. Who are these nec teams going to bump? In good conferences you play a team better than your best almost every week.

Lehigh'98
September 3rd, 2014, 08:13 AM
le high was to high. Who are these nec teams going to bump? In good conferences you play a team better than your best almost every week.

The NEC matches up very well against the SoCon this year.

SHUAlumni55
September 3rd, 2014, 10:39 AM
Supposedly this is why we PLAY games each year. Pollsters seem to not even consider the games that were played this year or over the past 2 seasons. We see this same stuff happen in FBS with any SEC team being automatically considered better than any team with the same record in another conference, before they ever have a chance to play each other. What is going on in FCS polls is just as prejudice only in FCS the teams never have a chance to climb into the rankings even if they do win good OOC games. The days of separate championships for I-AA and I-AA are over people, its all the same pool now and the parity is between the sub-divisions has shrunk to nearly nothing based on actual game evidence. My only goal here is to get the NEC on some pollsters's radar, its like the 5'10" kid who can dunk over anyone that never gets a chance to touch the basketball.

citdog
September 3rd, 2014, 10:41 AM
The NEC matches up very well against the SoCon this year.

You're nuts. There is not ONE team in the nec or your patsy league who would finish above Chatt, Samford, Furman, Woffy, The Citadel, or WCU. If you think so you don't know football.

citdog
September 3rd, 2014, 10:42 AM
Supposedly this is why we PLAY games each year. Pollsters seem to not even consider the games that were played this year or over the past 2 seasons. We see this same stuff happen in FBS with any SEC team being automatically considered better than any team with the same record in another conference, before they ever have a chance to play each other. What is going on in FCS polls is just as prejudice only in FCS the teams never have a chance to climb into the rankings even if they do win good OOC games. The days of separate championships for I-AA and I-AA are over people, its all the same pool now and the parity is between the sub-divisions has shrunk to nearly nothing based on actual game evidence. My only goal here is to get the NEC on some pollsters's radar, its like the 5'10" kid who can dunk over anyone that never gets a chance to touch the basketball.

One or two games don't wash away decades of irrelevance.

Lehigh'98
September 3rd, 2014, 10:51 AM
You're nuts. There is not ONE team in the nec or your patsy league who would finish above Chatt, Samford, Furman, Woffy, The Citadel, or WCU. If you think so you don't know football.

Do you enjoy nonstop trolling? Fordham is at least a td fav against all those teams.

Houndawg
September 3rd, 2014, 10:54 AM
xpopcornx

NoDak 4 Ever
September 3rd, 2014, 10:54 AM
This is where the expanded playoffs are going to skew the perception of power. Fordham draws Sacred Heart in the first round but folds like a cheap suit to Towson.

Now the OVC has playoff wins but still can't do **** against a power conference.

At the end of the day the semis were MVFC, CAA, and BSC.

citdog
September 3rd, 2014, 10:57 AM
Do you enjoy nonstop trolling? Fordham is at least a td fav against all those teams.

Again I'd like to see those games but we all know what happened to you after your game against that national powerhouse sacred heart don't we.

clenz
September 3rd, 2014, 11:30 AM
Again I'd like to see those games but we all know what happened to you after your game against that national powerhouse sacred heart don't we.
I'm with Cit completely on this.

I like what SHU has shown the last year or two, i really do.
I like what I saw from CCSU last week.

Having said that, the NEC is still a ways off of "not being biased against" or proving they "belong" in the same conversation as even the OVC or PL.

Lehigh'98
September 3rd, 2014, 11:32 AM
This is where the expanded playoffs are going to skew the perception of power. Fordham draws Sacred Heart in the first round but folds like a cheap suit to Towson.

Now the OVC has playoff wins but still can't do **** against a power conference.

At the end of the day the semis were MVFC, CAA, and BSC.

Towson and Fordham were a level above all LY. Getting beat by them means little. Doesn't make them a bad team.Fordham could've ended up in semis give a better draw. Not sure what your point is.The power conf chest beating is lame. Any given season there can be excellent teams from PL, NEC, Big South, Ivy or OVC. Other 3 less likely but could happen.

Tealblood
September 3rd, 2014, 11:33 AM
The funny part of this is that some still consider the socon a power conference

citdog
September 3rd, 2014, 11:36 AM

The funny part is that we look at the little South much in the same way as the patsy league. One or maybe two good teams and the rest is a dumpster fire.

- - - Updated - - -

Towson and Fordham were a level above all LY. Getting beat by them means little. Doesn't make them a bad team.Fordham could've ended up in semis give a better draw. Not sure what your point is.The power conf chest beating is lame. Any given season there can be excellent teams from PL, NEC, Big South, Ivy or OVC. Other 3 less likely but could happen.

So Fordham was better than NDSU in your view. Seems legit.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 3rd, 2014, 11:58 AM

Telling the truth is chest beating? Which semi team would Fordham have beaten?

clenz
September 3rd, 2014, 12:00 PM
I don't, right now.

I need to see how the conference shapes up in the next year or two.

If Furman, Chatty, and then 2 of The Citadel, Samford, and Wofford attain/maintain top 20-25 spots consistantly and the bottom has 1 really bad team and the rest being respectable then I'll leave it in the "power/upper middle" section.

Right now I'd list them as (if being looked at like recruits

5 star:
Big Sky
CAA
MVFC

4 Star:
SoCon
Southland

3 Star
Big South
OVC

2.5 Star
MEAC
PL
Ivy?

2 Star
NEC

1 Star PFL

No Star
SWAC

Lehigh'98
September 3rd, 2014, 12:07 PM
Telling the truth is chest beating? Which semi team would Fordham have beaten?

UNH or EWU would have been toss up games. Remember Lehigh beat UNH earlier in the season. Fordham could have won either of those games playing up to their potential. There kryptonite was run D. Towson had West. EWU had shaky D.

blackbeard
September 3rd, 2014, 12:27 PM
I'm with Cit completely on this.

I like what SHU has shown the last year or two, i really do.
I like what I saw from CCSU last week.

Having said that, the NEC is still a ways off of "not being biased against" or proving they "belong" in the same conversation as even the OVC or PL.

No the NEC doesn't belong in the same conversation with the OVC or SoCon. I'll disagree with you on the PL as the NEC has fared very well against it and the Ivy in recent years. But no one can deny significant improvement for the NEC over the last 3-5 years.

Last weekend 2 teams picked preseason to finish near the botton of the NEC (Bryant 5th and CCSU 6th - out of 7 teams) beat CAA teams, both on the road. Maybe Towson and Stony Brook weren't picked to win the CAA but they were both predicted to have good seasons and solid teams.

blackbeard
September 3rd, 2014, 12:34 PM
I don't, right now.

I need to see how the conference shapes up in the next year or two.

If Furman, Chatty, and then 2 of The Citadel, Samford, and Wofford attain/maintain top 20-25 spots consistantly and the bottom has 1 really bad team and the rest being respectable then I'll leave it in the "power/upper middle" section.

I really like the SoCon, have a daughter on athletic scholarship at one of their schools. But its strength is way off from a few years ago. Losing App State and GA Southern in recent years and replacing them with Mercer, VMI and next year ETSU has certainly not improved their football power ratings.

clenz
September 3rd, 2014, 01:06 PM
I really like the SoCon, have a daughter on athletic scholarship at one of their schools. But its strength is way off from a few years ago. Losing App State and GA Southern in recent years and replacing them with Mercer, VMI and next year ETSU has certainly not improved their football power ratings.
That's why I said I need a year or two to see.

If the top can stay respectable and the bottom can avoid having more than 1 just dog crap team I think they'll be okay.

The Big Sky and MVFC have that. The top 4 are real good. The bottom 1 (for the MVFC) and (for the Big Sky) are really bad. The middle 4ish are mostly repsectable sometimes.

citdog
September 3rd, 2014, 01:17 PM

The best thing that could have happened did happen. The whiny bitches are gone. Mercer will be good after Lamb gets a recruiting class and ETSU is doing it right this time by building an outdoor stadium. VMI is the only question mark of the three. Why didn't your daughter go to a yankee school where she belongs?

blackbeard
September 3rd, 2014, 02:13 PM
The best thing that could have happened did happen. The whiny bitches are gone. Mercer will be good after Lamb gets a recruiting class and ETSU is doing it right this time by building an outdoor stadium. VMI is the only question mark of the three. Why didn't your daughter go to a yankee school where she belongs?

Cause we ain't Yankees.....lot more of a Southern redneck than even yourself. She is a Southern beauty in every sense of the word who happens to be able to run like the wind. Son just went to a Yankee school. The Battle of Northern Aggression will never claim him or this good ole boy.

ngineer
September 3rd, 2014, 09:44 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1011439/lehigh_1.jpg

had to rebump this one. Great pic. Yes, Lehigh gets seven votes without even stepping on the field last week. I know it just warms the cockles of the Leotards' hearts!