PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Sensation: Toreros Top Team in Town

Torero Tradition
October 31st, 2006, 09:42 PM
Top College Football Team in Town... University of San Diego Toreros

As a team the Toreros rank in the Top-10 in 17 different I-AA statistics, including 8 areas where they are either #1 or #2.
USD ranks
1st in total offense (500.13 yards per game);
1st in scoring offense (45.75 ppg);
1st in 3rd down efficiency (65.4%);
1st in scoring defense (9.5 ppg);
1st in turnovers lost (6);
1st in punt return yardage defense (0 yards);
2nd in passing efficiency (177.53 rating);
2nd in pass efficiency defense (87.50 rating);
3rd in passing offense (292.6 ypg);
4th in kickoff returns (26.27 yards per return);
4th in tackles for loss allowed (3.63);
4th in total defense (229.0 ypg);
4th in rushing defense (89.8 ypg);
4th in turnover margin (+1.13);
6th in passes had intercepted (3);
9th in rushing offense (216.25 ypg);
and 9th in fumbles lost (3).

RANKINGS
10th in the SARAGIN FOR I-AA
13th in the DON HANSEN POLL
15th in the CSN POLL
16th in the SPORTS NETWORK
19th in the AGS POLL

G.P.I
10th

Gridiron Power Index (GPI) through 10/29/06, The Gridiron Power Index (GPI), the index ranking for I-AA and top indicator of at-large playoff selection has San Diego Toreros in the Tenth Spot this week. The GPI Indicates they will be in the playoff field. The Great West Football Conference remains the top ranked conference. I-AA's largest league, the Atlantic 10 Conference has six teams in the top 25; The Gateway Football Conference placed five teams; the Great West Football Conference placed four teams; the Big Sky Conference and the Ivy League placed three each; the Southern Conference placed two teams; the Pioneer Football League and the Ohio Valley Conference placed one each.

For the 5th straight week the San Diego Torero football team appears in The Sports Network 2006 I-AA Top 25 Poll, this week moving up four spots to a program-best No. 16. Winners of 16 straight, and 24 of their last 25 games, the 8-0 Toreros also rank No. 15 in this week's College Sporting News (CSN) Coaches Poll (up 6 spots), and No. No. 13 in Don Hansen's Football Weekly Gazette Top-40 Poll. USD is 95th in this week's Sagarin Power Ratings for all I-A and I-AA programs, including 10th for I-AA programs.

For the 10th time this season and 16th poll in a row overall, the Toreros claim the No. 1 spot in the Sports Network I-AA Mid-Major Top 10. The Toreros picked up all 25 first-place votes and 250 total points to stay at No. 1 in the I-AA Mid-Major poll after their 44-21 home win over Morehead State. USD (5-0 PFL; 8-0) will put its No. 1 ranking and 16-game winning streak on the line this Saturday when they travel to Jacksonville (4-1 PFL; 4-4) in a 12:30 p.m. (ET) kickoff at D.B. Milne Field. A win Saturday would match USD's best start ever with 9 straight wins - the current program record was set back in 1981 (USD finished 9-1 after a season-ending loss at Saint Mary's College). USD's 16-game winning streak is only matched by Ohio State among all I-A and I-AA programs, and its 18-game home winning streak is second only to Appalachian State (W23) among I-AA programs.

:eek: Looks like playoff material to me :nod:

Guard Dawg
October 31st, 2006, 10:05 PM
Those stats are impressive...
San Diego is the top Offense in I-AA Nation...

nah, they don't belong in the playoffs

boonedocks
October 31st, 2006, 10:09 PM
Those stats are impressive...
[

You would be right if they played, say an A-10 or Gateway schedule. I would say there are plenty of teams that can rack up those numbers with your schedule. :twocents:

Mountaineer
October 31st, 2006, 10:09 PM
All of that against top-notch opponents!

http://img414.imageshack.us/img414/6054/footballpichd2.gif

Really impressive!

boonedocks
October 31st, 2006, 10:12 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

McNeese75
October 31st, 2006, 10:15 PM
WTF :confused:

When are the Mods going to start deleting these threads or moving them to a seperate forum so all the self-servings USD fans can just knock themself out and quit spamming the rest of the site :nonono2:

Torero Tradition
October 31st, 2006, 10:17 PM
You would be right if they played, say an A-10 or Gateway schedule. I would say there are plenty of teams that can rack up those numbers with your schedule. :twocents:

You should watch the game film from USD @ Yale...

GOTOREROS
October 31st, 2006, 10:17 PM

When are the Mods going to start deleting these threads or moving them to a seperate forum so all the self-servings USD fans can just knock themself out and quit spamming the rest of the site :nonono2:

Maybe you should accept the fact USD is #10 in the GPI.....:rolleyes:

GOTOREROS

boonedocks
October 31st, 2006, 10:21 PM

GOTOREROS

So what?:bang: :bang: ASU is #2 in the GPI and there aren't a fraction of the number of new threads about them

cosmo here
October 31st, 2006, 10:24 PM
You should watch the game film from USD @ Yale...

A 3-5 Lafayette team put up 34 points against Yale while turning the ball over four times.

and by the way, the GPI is only an indicator, it certainly doesn't select the teams. as noted by several others, ratings struggle to slot teams who are unbeaten against inferior competition until said team suffers its first loss. it doesn't look like USD will lose until maybe Nov. 25, so we don't know how the GPI will treat them until then:twocents:

GOTOREROS
October 31st, 2006, 10:24 PM
So what?:bang: :bang: ASU is #2 in the GPI and there aren't a fraction of the number of new threads about them

Well perhaps it is because this is unprecedented......you know like when something that has never happened before suddenly happens. Ever watch the news, and the coverage of something that catches people's interest.

San Diego is a huge news story right now and IF they continue to win it will only become a larger story. If you are sick of the USD talk now, what are you going to do when "San Diego" month comes knocking here on AGS?

GOTOREROS

Torero Tradition
October 31st, 2006, 10:25 PM
Maybe because you are a lock for the playoffs and don't have to worry about discussing controversial topics. Better to talk about them now as opposed to later. You would think from people on this board if San Diego was #2 in the GPI there would still be no shot for them to be in the playoffs.

boonedocks
October 31st, 2006, 10:28 PM
Ok fine, so go post in the other 15 threads on the first page instead of starting new ones. Or start a team-specific message board so you guys can tell each other how good you are, without taking over AGS

Guard Dawg
October 31st, 2006, 10:30 PM
no way San Diego makes the playoffs... Old Guard and East Coast bias won't let it happen!

cosmo here
October 31st, 2006, 10:35 PM
UMass non-league schedule:

Colgate - defending PL champ
Navy - I-A
Stony Brook

A-10 schedule includes three teams that have been ranked:

at Towson - W 35-0
at New Hampshire - Saturday
vs. Maine - next Saturday

USD's schedule includes one team that is receiving votes, and UC Davis which has been ranked but won't play USD until the weekend of the playoffs

McNeese75
October 31st, 2006, 10:37 PM

GOTOREROS

:nono: Sorry, I don't accept ***** regarding USD. The BS posting on this board is only building contempt for your team by a few posters. I actually hope you do make the playoffs and get to play a real team. It's going to be ugly (and you know it)

Poly Pigskin
October 31st, 2006, 10:42 PM
I know you guys have already challenged SDSU, but if you're truly the "top team in town," does that mean you're going to beat the Chargers too? You have the best team in I-AA from what you guys keep telling me, so I'm sure you can take them! 10th in GPI?!?! STOP THE PRESSES!!!

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

GOTOREROS
October 31st, 2006, 10:43 PM
:nono: Sorry, I don't accept ***** regarding USD. The BS posting on this board is only building contempt for your team by a few posters. I actually hope you do make the playoffs and get to play a real team. It's going to be ugly (and you know it)

ANY GIVEN SATURDAY right? Who knows....enjoy "San Diego" month when it arrives!

GOTOREROS

Torero Tradition
October 31st, 2006, 10:45 PM
ANY GIVEN SATURDAY right? Who knows....enjoy "San Diego" month when it arrives!

GOTOREROS

No one is claiming San Diego is the best team in I-AA... and certainly they are the best college team in San Diego... no one is comparing them to an NFL team, especially the chargers. However, they have a former NFLer as a head coach ;)

What's amusing is why people are so anti-San Diego in the playoffs... does that mess up your perfect little I-AA world? How can you just glaringly dismiss polls, computers, stats and how other teams are selected and then not apply the same to San Diego.

boonedocks
October 31st, 2006, 10:47 PM
No one is claiming San Diego is the best team in I-AA... and certainly they are the best college team in San Diego... no one is comparing them to an NFL team, especially the chargers. However, they have a former NFLer as a head coach ;)

What's amusing is why people are so anti-San Diego in the playoffs... does that mess up your perfect little I-AA world? How can you just glaringly dismiss polls, computers, stats and how other teams are selected and then not apply the same to San Diego.

Because you play a cream puff schedule. It's the same reason you've gotten in the other 100 threads.

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

JMU_MRD'03-'07
October 31st, 2006, 10:47 PM
If they were to give SD a playoff bid right now would that mean less annoying threads to search through??

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
:nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2:
:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

boonedocks
October 31st, 2006, 10:49 PM
If so, I'm all for it. Just go ahead and buy the team tickets to Missoula. That would be fine with me. :) :D

cosmo here
October 31st, 2006, 10:49 PM

so Cal Poly, a consensus top 10 team the last couple years, goes to San Diego State and uses a late field goal to beat them. and you think you're certainly the best college team in San Diego? come on.

MiamiTorero
October 31st, 2006, 10:51 PM
ITS ABOUT THE T!!! THATS ALL WE CARE ABOUT!!! GIVE US UR RESPECT OR NOT WE'RE GOIN TO SHOW HOW USD IS A WAY BETTER TEAM THAN U ALL RESPECT!!!

cosmo here
October 31st, 2006, 10:52 PM
ITS ABOUT THE T!!! THATS ALL WE CARE ABOUT!!! GIVE US UR RESPECT OR NOT WE'RE GOIN TO SHOW HOW USD IS A WAY BETTER TEAM THAN U ALL RESPECT!!!

say that again in English . . ? :confused:

Torero Tradition
October 31st, 2006, 10:53 PM

GOTOREROS

I don't think people can accept the fact USD actually has a good team.
Regardless of what the polls say, stats, schedule.... they have a
GOOD TEAM

cosmo here
October 31st, 2006, 10:54 PM
I don't think people can accept the fact USD actually has a good team.
Regardless of what the polls say, stats, schedule.... they have a
GOOD TEAM

Yeah, you have a "Good Team". just not a "Playoff Team". there's no shame in that . . play a tougher schedule the next couple years and earn your spot.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
October 31st, 2006, 10:55 PM
I don't disagree... I'm just very tired of hearing the relentless banter that you somehow feel will make everyone agree with you and somehow make your team better... Just stop with the talk and keep playing the games... One thread a week for USD is enough!!!! :mad:

boonedocks
October 31st, 2006, 10:57 PM
Exactly, if there weren't 100 threads a day you would get more respect each week.

GOTOREROS
October 31st, 2006, 10:59 PM
Exactly, if there weren't 100 threads a day you would get more respect each week.

Well, you can't blame us for every thread. I would love for someone with a lot of free time to actually see who started each USD thread...

GOTOREROS

Polywog
October 31st, 2006, 11:00 PM
And if I played QB in my nephew's Pop Warner league, I'd look pretty good too.

SirApp
October 31st, 2006, 11:00 PM
I kinda think USD might get into the playoffs this year, with their schedule I don't know if they should, but I just have a gut feeling that they will

Torero Tradition
October 31st, 2006, 11:02 PM
SirApp... careful, don't be caught showing love for the Torero :)

GOTOREROS
And if I played QB in my nephew's Pop Warner league, I'd look pretty good too.

What's your 40 time? :D We're always looking for talent!

GOTOREROS

JMU_MRD'03-'07
Well, you can't blame us for every thread. I would love for someone with a lot of free time to actually see who started each USD thread...

GOTOREROS

Don't add to more than one thread though... how does every other school represented on AGS seemingly not have more than 2 or 3 threads of importance at one time... because people continue posting on an existing one, take the dang hint y'all!! :splat:

boonedocks
October 31st, 2006, 11:03 PM
Yep, hard to know what the committe will decide. I do feel that there are more deserving teams. But, since they are out of the davis game if invited does make it interesting. It'll be fun to wait, watch and find out. Still wish there weren't 100 threads.

Death Dealer
October 31st, 2006, 11:04 PM
what are you going to do when "San Diego" month comes knocking here on AGS?

GOTOREROS

GOTOREROS
October 31st, 2006, 11:04 PM
Are there really 100 threads? Or is it hyperbole?

GOTOREROS

cosmo here
October 31st, 2006, 11:05 PM
What's your 40 time? :D We're always looking for talent!

GOTOREROS

so I've made what I think are four pretty insightful, reasoned posts, and you decide to reply to this :confused:

GOTOREROS
October 31st, 2006, 11:06 PM

Death-

It was nice knowing you. Class act to boot - sorry you have to leave us....:D

GOTOREROS
"Welcome to San Diego Month!!!!!" November 2006

boonedocks
October 31st, 2006, 11:06 PM
i dont' know the exact number, 100 from me is hyperbole. There are still way too many. 1 maybe 2 are plenty

GOTOREROS
October 31st, 2006, 11:11 PM
so I've made what I think are four pretty insightful, reasoned posts, and you decide to reply to this :confused:

What should I respond to? Should I argue with you about who the best team in SD is? Should I argue with you about our schedule? I have heard everything thrown at USD just like you have heard everything thrown back from USD fans.....I responded to a joke someone posted that I found funny. Sorry you have lost your sense of humor.

At this point neither side is going to convince the other about what will happen regarding the committee selection - we have three weeks to enjoy SAN DIEGO month.....:D What will be, is what will be....

If you feel strongly about one of your posts please repost and I will repsond.

GOTOREROS

SirApp
October 31st, 2006, 11:12 PM

GOTOREROS

Terrific Toreros on Torrid Playoff Chase: Torero Tradition

San Diego Sensation: Toreros Top Team in Town: Torero Tradition

San Diego IS a playoff team: AndyK2005

Folks in San Diego are talking playoffs!: DetroitFlyer

Is University of San Diego for real?: Salty Dog

Let's Discuss San Diego II - not smack or bravado: ralph

Where did these San Diego fans come from?: CatfishCCU

San Diego Breaking Rules?: rmutv

San Diego-The Real Question: Tealblood

Argument for USD if they go undefeated: gobucknell06

Update on USD Threads.: PantherRob82

In Defense of Harbaugh: Torero Fan

San Diego wins Homecoming... sets record: Torero Tradition

Gridiron Classic, mistake? San Diego could make playoffs... : Torero Tradition

Numbers Game, San Diego Toreros: Torero Tradition

U of San Diego Haters...: MiamiTorero

University of San Diego- IMHO: SDFan

ANOTHER USD THREAD... Talk the talk...: MiamiTorero

Damn, can't believe I just did that....although I really did need a break from studying:p

SirApp
October 31st, 2006, 11:13 PM
SirApp... careful, don't be caught showing love for the Torero :)

can't help but show a little love for USD, was one of my top choices in schools before I moved to North Carolina...

GOTOREROS
October 31st, 2006, 11:14 PM
Terrific Toreros on Torrid Playoff Chase: Torero Tradition

San Diego Sensation: Toreros Top Team in Town: Torero Tradition

San Diego IS a playoff team: AndyK2005

Folks in San Diego are talking playoffs!: DetroitFlyer

Is University of San Diego for real?: Salty Dog

Let's Discuss San Diego II - not smack or bravado: ralph

Where did these San Diego fans come from?: CatfishCCU

San Diego Breaking Rules?: rmutv

San Diego-The Real Question: Tealblood

Argument for USD if they go undefeated: gobucknell06

Update on USD Threads.: PantherRob82

In Defense of Harbaugh: Torero Fan

San Diego wins Homecoming... sets record: Torero Tradition

Gridiron Classic, mistake? San Diego could make playoffs... : Torero Tradition

Numbers Game, San Diego Toreros: Torero Tradition

U of San Diego Haters...: MiamiTorero

University of San Diego- IMHO: SDFan

ANOTHER USD THREAD... Talk the talk...: MiamiTorero

Damn, can't believe I just did that....although I really did need a break from studying:p

LOL! Thanks for the breakdown - looks like half are actual USD fans....damn you other 9 people!!!!!!!!! xlolx xlolx

GOTOREROS

SirApp
October 31st, 2006, 11:17 PM
LOL! Thanks for the breakdown - looks like half are actual USD fans....damn you other 9 people!!!!!!!!! xlolx xlolx

GOTOREROS

no prob, was kinda interested to know myself...only took about 5 mins

cosmo here
October 31st, 2006, 11:20 PM
What should I respond to? Should I argue with you about who the best team in SD is? Should I argue with you about our schedule? I have heard everything thrown at USD just like you have heard everything thrown back from USD fans.....I responded to a joke someone poseted that I found funny. Sorry you have lost your sense of humor.

At this point neither side is going to convince the other about what will happen regarding the committee selection - we have three weeks to enjoy SAN DIEGO month.....:D What will be, is what will be....

If you feel strongly about one of your posts please repost and I will repsond.

GOTOREROS

You seem to think that nobody takes you seriously, but when somebody responds with a reasoned answer, you choose not to address it. I know it's tough juggling the seven threads that are currently on the front page though, so I apologize. I don't want to put this all on you, but there are plenty of USD posters who always back each other up.

So . . when "TT" said "watch the game film from USD @ Yale" and I posted that an average Lafayette team scored 34 on Yale while turning the ball over four times, nobody responded.

When I posted UMass schedule in response to a post by "Guard Dawg" that was subsequently deleted for its stupidity, nobody responded.

When "TT" said USD is "certainly the best college team in San Diego" and I pointed out that they clearly are not, nobody responded.

and when "TT" said "I don't think people can accept the fact USD actually has a good team", I pointed out that they do have a good team, just not a playoff team and should schedule tougher the next couple years, nobody responded.

So this isn't a GOTOREROS problem, but it is a USD problem. If you're admitting that you can't reply to anything and everything was well reasoned, then I take it as a compliment. But unfortunately the discourse always favors the unreasoned, and that's very disappointing.

RobsPics
October 31st, 2006, 11:21 PM
I enjoy seeing teams improve and develop their program like USD. These threads don't bother me because I like reading about successful teams.

Too many people with PhD's in here..Playa Hatin' Degrees!

GOTOREROS
October 31st, 2006, 11:33 PM
I put responses in BOLD in your quotes...

You seem to think that nobody takes you seriously, but when somebody responds with a reasoned answer, you choose not to address it. I know it's tough juggling the seven threads that are currently on the front page though, so I apologize. I don't want to put this all on you, but there are plenty of USD posters who always back each other up.

So . . when "TT" said "watch the game film from USD @ Yale" and I posted that an average Lafayette team scored 34 on Yale while turning the ball over four times, nobody responded.

So what? The fact is they only scored 34....turning the ball over means they didn't get the job done. Does that answer your question? Maybe Lafayette needs better coaching on how to hang on to the ball...and that is why Lafayette may not get into the playoffs...who knows?

When I posted UMass schedule in response to a post by "Guard Dawg" that was subsequently deleted for its stupidity, nobody responded.

I have no idea what this means - can you expound?

When "TT" said USD is "certainly the best college team in San Diego" and I pointed out that they clearly are not, nobody responded.

That is your opinion, we can argue it till we are both blue in the face. What would you like to hear? Since USD and SDSU don't play each other anything can be argued. There is poll in the SD Union-Tribune (http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/usd/index.html) where USD got over 50% of the vote on who would win. I guess more people in San Diego disagree with you...scroll down on the link to see the voting results

and when "TT" said "I don't think people can accept the fact USD actually has a good team", I pointed out that they do have a good team, just not a playoff team and should schedule tougher the next couple years, nobody responded.

Are you on the committee? If not, how do you know other than having an opinion? Again, we can argue all night...

So this isn't a GOTOREROS problem, but it is a USD problem. If you're admitting that you can't reply to anything and everything was well reasoned, then I take it as a compliment. But unfortunately the discourse always favors the unreasoned, and that's very disappointing.

Well, perhaps some here think you don't have great points or evidence to say USD isn't as good as the polls, and media are saying they are. Evidently, lots of people think USD is really good, and is a playoff contender....

GOTOREROS
October 31st, 2006, 11:35 PM
I enjoy seeing teams improve and develop their program like USD. These threads don't bother me because I like reading about successful teams.

Too many people with PhD's in here..Playa Hatin' Degrees!

Agreed. People are getting so worked up.......in life people will always disagree on many things, that is what an "opinion" is called....

AggiePride
October 31st, 2006, 11:38 PM
Your schedule is just down right pathetic. Seriously.

FargoBison
October 31st, 2006, 11:39 PM
How is USD 10th? I have USD ranked #1 in my mid-major poll, well if I voted in a mid-major poll that is where they would be. In the real I-AA poll I vote in every week they are undefined due to a lack of SOS. Is there anyone else out there that doesn't have USD ranked or has everyone given in to their great record and stats against a bunch of underfunded teams and a completely unproven Yale team?

cosmo here
October 31st, 2006, 11:45 PM
I'll reply as best I can, since it's impossible to quote what you wrote.

A. I'm not "wowed" that San Diego put up 41 on Yale, when I watched Lafayette put up 34 on Yale despite turning the ball over four times. Given that Yale is by far the best team you would have played by the time the playoff field is set, I don't see that as hard and fast evidence that San Diego is a playoff team.

B. "Guard Dawg" said something to the affect that "if everybody's complaining that USD has a weak schedule, why are those same people saying UMass deserves a seed with its weak schedule" . . perhaps realizing the error of his ways, he edited his post before I could quote it. but essentially UMass will have played three top 25 teams, a PL contender in Holy Cross and I-A Navy, while San Diego's toughest opponent, Yale, is only receiving votes.

C. if you think that USD is clearly better than San Diego State, then you're saying that you can go head up with Cal Poly, a consensus top 10 team the last couple years, just as they did with the Aztecs.

D. I don't think anybody's saying San Diego doesn't have a good team . . obviously they're good, they haven't lost yet . . but it doesn't mean they're a great team, given the quality of the opposition. History has shown, ad nauseum, that unless you play a playoff-caliber schedule, you're not a playoff-caliber team. that's simple. drop your persecution complex, play your games this year, play better games next year, and then see what damage you can do in the playoffs if you've earned a spot.

GOTOREROS
October 31st, 2006, 11:46 PM
How is USD 10th? I have USD ranked #1 in my mid-major poll, well if I voted in a mid-major poll that is where they would be. In the real I-AA poll I vote in every week they are undefined due to a lack of SOS. Is there anyone else out there that doesn't have USD ranked or has everyone given in to their great record and stats against a bunch of underfunded teams and a completely unproven Yale team?

Are you kidding? You think a "fan poll" is something the committee is going to use to make such a decision? They will use MANY components, and the AGS is a small slice of what they might look at. Why don't we have the fans vote on college basketball rankings while we are at it.....that makes good sense.

USD is ranked #15 in the coaches poll - clearly they think USD is a very good team. But again what do the coaches know that you guys don't??? :rolleyes:

cosmo here
October 31st, 2006, 11:50 PM
USD is ranked #15 in the coaches poll - clearly they think USD is a very good team. But again what do the coaches know that you guys don't??? :rolleyes:

the only coaches that have seen San Diego play are the ones that have looked at them on tape, either prepping for USD or an opponent of theirs, and maybe four or five of those coaches have votes (out of the 30 or so that vote every week). so they really don't know much more than we do.

AggiePride
October 31st, 2006, 11:54 PM
Are you kidding? You think a "fan poll" is something the committee is going to use to make such a decision? They will use MANY components, and the AGS is a small slice of what they might look at. Why don't we have the fans vote on college basketball rankings while we are at it.....that makes good sense.

If you're comfortable with the precedent it would end up setting, then most fans will never support you. Especially fans that have schools that work hard to set tough schedules just to make the playoffs.

In the end it never has had anything to do with the potential talent USD has, and certain polls that may reflect that (and I am not overlooking USD come Nov. 25th in any way). It is the fact that a USD selection would defy all the major slection criteria that has come before it.

SirApp
October 31st, 2006, 11:57 PM

Rank....Team............Conf..W/L...Total.....ARC..LAZ..ABC..SAG..SEL..MAT...MAS.. .DWI..KEE..CSN..AGS..SNW
10........San Diego....PFL....8-0....13.67....73....16....23....10....6.....3..... ..8......10.......76.....15.....19.....16

Basically because 5/11 of the computer/human polls have them in the top 10 and 9/11 have them in the top 20..

GOTOREROS
October 31st, 2006, 11:59 PM
I'll reply as best I can, since it's impossible to quote what you wrote.

A. I'm not "wowed" that San Diego put up 41 on Yale, when I watched Lafayette put up 34 on Yale despite turning the ball over four times. Given that Yale is by far the best team you would have played by the time the playoff field is set, I don't see that as hard and fast evidence that San Diego is a playoff team.

B. "Guard Dawg" said something to the affect that "if everybody's complaining that USD has a weak schedule, why are those same people saying UMass deserves a seed with its weak schedule" . . perhaps realizing the error of his ways, he edited his post before I could quote it. but essentially UMass will have played three top 25 teams, a PL contender in Holy Cross and I-A Navy, while San Diego's toughest opponent, Yale, is only receiving votes.

C. if you think that USD is clearly better than San Diego State, then you're saying that you can go head up with Cal Poly, a consensus top 10 team the last couple years, just as they did with the Aztecs.

D. I don't think anybody's saying San Diego doesn't have a good team . . obviously they're good, they haven't lost yet . . but it doesn't mean they're a great team, given the quality of the opposition. History has shown, ad nauseum, that unless you play a playoff-caliber schedule, you're not a playoff-caliber team. that's simple. drop your persecution complex, play your games this year, play better games next year, and then see what damage you can do in the playoffs if you've earned a spot.

A. USD scored 43 points not 41. And you are using conjecture about what could have been the final Lafayette score. We can only talk about what actually happened - USD 43 YALE 13. I could easily say that the sun was in USD's eyes for a certain part of the game and that is why we only scored 43...see how your logic works?

B. If GaurdDawg edited his post maybe it was becuase as you said it was a weak argument. I can't comment on something that doesn't exist....

C. What has been said is that some believe USD to be the best team in San Diego. That was the comment - you are taking it into a different context to say it means USD beats Poly. That's not what was said - you are changing the context to fit your view. Again, please view the SD Union-Tribune poll where the question is who would win a game between USD and SDSU....many, many people in San Diego feel USD is better than SDSU - USD got over 50% of the votes. Since we don't play them it is pure conjecture and neither side has evidence to prove it one way or the other...who knows? Don't fall into the thinking that because "Team A" beat "Team B" that "Team C" can beat Team A who.....that is false logic. If you used that thinking then there is a really bad team that can beat Northwestern due to its loss to UNH....

D. San Diego has a really good team.......history may point to USD not getting a bid. That is fine, no problem with that. But at some point history is made to be broken and perhaps USD is that team to shatter the glass cieling.

GOTOREROS
November 1st, 2006, 12:01 AM
If you're comfortable with the precedent it would end up setting, then most fans will never support you. Especially fans that have schools that work hard to set tough schedules just to make the playoffs, even fans who have had their school in the same exact position relative to their division (i.e. Davis).

In the end it has never had to do with the potential talent USD has, and certain polls that may reflect that (and I am not overlooking come Nov. 25th). It is the fact that a USD selection would defy all the major criteria that has come before it.

Well let's leave it up to the committe to decide - since its their domain right? I am OK with whatever the committee decides, I may not like it but that is the way it is. If I feel so strongly about it and can live with whatever decsion is made, why can't others. It really is that simple...

GOTOREROS
November 1st, 2006, 12:04 AM
the only coaches that have seen San Diego play are the ones that have looked at them on tape, either prepping for USD or an opponent of theirs, and maybe four or five of those coaches have votes (out of the 30 or so that vote every week). so they really don't know much more than we do.

So with that logic, we shouldn't use the AGS poll and you shouldn't have a vote. If you haven't seen the team don't vote - how many teams have you seen personally? And I am talking full tapes etc...see my point? Let's make a concrete criteria for voting such as having to see the team in person not just on tape etc.

How many times have you seen USD? If you haven't seen a full game how can you say we aren't worthy?

FargoBison
November 1st, 2006, 12:04 AM

I'll take the AGS poll over any I-AA poll since it's been the most accruate over the last few years. You can say what you want about fans voting but they for the most part know their stuff and vote without bias.

cosmo here
November 1st, 2006, 12:06 AM
C. What has been said is that some believe USD to be the best team in San Diego. That was the comment - you are taking it into a different context to say it means USD beats Poly. That's not what was said - you are changing the context to fit your view. Again, please view the SD Union-Tribune poll where the question is who would win a game between USD and SDSU....many, many people in San Diego feel USD is better than SDSU - USD got over 50% of the votes. Since we don't play them it is pure conjecture and neither side has evidence to prove it one way or the other...who knows? Don't fall into the thinking that because "Team A" beat "Team B" that "Team C" can beat Team A who.....that is false logic. If you used that thinking then there is a really bad team that can beat Northwestern due to its loss to UNH....

I apologize for shortchanging USD two points vs. Yale. I truly hope the sun wasn't in anybody's eyes. Yes, our coaches have worked on ball security, and we didn't fumble against Colgate last week. Thank you for your concern . .

for somebody who just a couple minutes ago completely dismissed a "fan poll" (presumably AGS) that plays as much a part in the GPI as The Sports Network and particularly Coaches Poll that you trumpet . . you're sure putting a lot of faith in an unscientific sampling of San Diego Union-Tribune readers/website viewers who think that USD can beat SDSU.

and it seems that you're using the same "A beats B beats C" logic with the San Diego-Yale-Lafayette/Lehigh results, which is pretty much the only argument that USD has to get into the playoffs, as I'm using with SDSU-Cal Poly-San Diego . . except SDSU is I-A and Cal Poly is a top 10 I-AA team that has won playoff games.

FargoBison
November 1st, 2006, 12:07 AM
So with that logic, we shouldn't use the AGS poll and you shouldn't have a vote. If you haven't seen the team don't vote - how many teams have you seen personally? And I am talking full tapes etc...see my point? Let's make a concrete criteria for voting such as having to see the team in person not just on tape etc.

How many times have you seen USD? If you haven't seen a full game how can you say we aren't worthy?

A little thing called SOS usually helps in ranking teams, actually playing a top 25 team every now and then wouldn make it possible to judge whether USD is for real or not.

cosmo here
November 1st, 2006, 12:10 AM

listen, I didn't say if you haven't seen a team, you don't know anything about them. but if you're going to say "USD is No. 15 in the coaches poll, so what do they know that we don't" . . while dismissing the AGS poll. . then take the coaches poll for what it is . . a group of people who don't know much more about the entire subclassification than the AGS voters do. hell, SIDs vote for most of them anyways . . what coach is going to take an hour out of his Sunday to go through scores?

AggiePride
November 1st, 2006, 12:11 AM
Well let's leave it up to the committe to decide - since its their domain right? I am OK with whatever the committee decides, I may not like it but that is the way it is. If I feel so strongly about it and can live with whatever decsion is made, why can't others. It really is that simple...

For the reason I stated in the post you just quoted. It's right there. Stated once again, oh lets say, for the 100th time by an AGS poster.

Stang Fever
November 1st, 2006, 12:11 AM
I get so tired of this. USD crap, cause thats all it really is. THey just might be a good team. but when you keep blowing out everyone you play who has a combined record far less then 500. then that just says that either you are out of this world or the teams you are playing just simply SUCK. I am going to go with b. the teams you play SUCK

cosmo here
November 1st, 2006, 12:16 AM
I get so tired of this. USD crap, cause thats all it really is. THey just might be a good team. but when you keep blowing out everyone you play who has a combined record far less then 500. then that just says that either you are out of this world or the teams you are playing just simply SUCK. I am going to go with b. the teams you play SUCK

I am so out of here. You'd have to be crazy to hang around this place.

GOTOREROS
November 1st, 2006, 12:20 AM
I apologize for shortchanging USD two points vs. Yale. I truly hope the sun wasn't in anybody's eyes. Yes, our coaches have worked on ball security, and we didn't fumble against Colgate last week. Thank you for your concern . .

for somebody who just a couple minutes ago completely dismissed a "fan poll" (presumably AGS) that plays as much a part in the GPI and The Sports Network and particularly Coaches Poll that you trumpet . . you're sure putting a lot of faith in an unscientific sampling of San Diego Union-Tribune readers/website viewers who think that USD can beat SDSU.

and it seems that you're using the same "A beats B beats C" logic with the San Diego-Yale-Lafayette/Lehigh results, which is pretty much the only argument that USD has to get into the playoffs, as I'm using with SDSU-Cal Poly-San Diego . . except SDSU is I-A and Cal Poly is a top 10 I-AA team that has won playoff games.

Well, I figure we should get the score right if we are going to talk about the game. In fact I got the score wrong as it was USD 43 YALE 17. You brought up the 4 TO's not me, what do you want me to say about your 4 TO's? And I would never use the "sun in my eyes" as an excuse which is what you are saying is the reason you only scored 34 points is turnovers. There is no evidence to suggest you would have scored more points with less turnovers, it's only your opinion. Why not give credit to Yale for creating the turnovers.

You are talking about an opinion being concrete I am not. I offered an opinion to you and never argued that it was concrete. You and others are arguing that YOUR opinion is concrete.

Did you miss where I said that since we don't play SDSU we will never know who is the better team? "Any Given Saturday" right, or is that lip service around here?

I don't presume to be an expert on I-AA football and leave it in the committe's hands. Most if not all of you are in the same boat - you have opinions but nothing more than that. There is nothing wrong with your opinions, but don't act as though you all know so much and are the end all be all for who gets in and who doesn't.

I have no idea if USD will get a bid, I have no idea if USD could beat a scholarship team. If you want to get into a silly argument where there is no answer until the game occurs then fine....but I'm not wasting my time. If you have an issue with what another person said that is cool, but don't put other people's words in my mouth...

I have lots of respect for Poly, great campus, great community and what will be a great stadium when done.....just my opinion...

RobsPics
November 1st, 2006, 12:25 AM
I suggest a PSU v USD matchup next season!

GOTOREROS
November 1st, 2006, 12:25 AM
listen, I didn't say if you haven't seen a team, you don't know anything about them. but if you're going to say "USD is No. 15 in the coaches poll, so what do they know that we don't" . . while dismissing the AGS poll. . then take the coaches poll for what it is . . a group of people who don't know much more about the entire subclassification than the AGS voters do. hell, SIDs vote for most of them anyways . . what coach is going to take an hour out of his Sunday to go through scores?

My point is that one poll is not definitive, so to expect YOUR poll to be the same as others is a fallacy. That is my point.....:rolleyes:

I am trying to get you to think globally as far as the polls go - just because yours doesn't line up with the majority doesn't mean it is wrong or right, simply that it is different. Why is that so hard to understand? I am not saying you are wrong only saying don't expect everyone to agree with YOU...and that there might be a differing OPINION from others. I could use the GPI instead of the coaches poll if that makes you feel better since it is a combination of a bunch of polls.....and USD is #10 in that poll. Take it for whatever you like.....

cosmo here
November 1st, 2006, 12:35 AM
My point is that one poll is not definitive, so to expect YOUR poll to be the same as others is a fallacy. That is my point.....:rolleyes:

I am trying to get you to think globally as far as the polls go - just because yours doesn't line up with the majority doesn't mean it is wrong or right, simply that it is different. Why is that so hard to understand? I am not saying you are wrong only saying don't expect everyone to agree with YOU...and that there might be a differing OPINION from others. I could use the GPI instead of the coaches poll if that makes you feel better since it is a combination of a bunch of polls.....and USD is #10 in that poll. Take it for whatever you like.....

Here's what you said before . . it sure as hell seems like you're saying you place a lot more faith in the coaches poll since they "know football" . . although very few if any coaches actually fill out their ballots themselves. that, in essence, makes the coaches poll a "fan poll" for SIDs . . who have the same knowledge base as the voters on AGS.

thanks for trying to get me to "think globally". I don't place faith in any one poll more than the others . . the coaches (SIDs), The Sports Network (SIDs/media) or AGS (fans) . . and I think I've been pretty consistent throughout.

USD is ranked #15 in the coaches poll - clearly they think USD is a very good team. But again what do the coaches know that you guys don't???

cosmo here
November 1st, 2006, 12:43 AM
I have no idea if USD will get a bid, I have no idea if USD could beat a scholarship team. If you want to get into a silly argument where there is no answer until the game occurs then fine....but I'm not wasting my time. If you have an issue with what another person said that is cool, but don't put other people's words in my mouth...

the bolded section is argument #1 why USD doesn't deserve a playoff bid. everybody else in the field, and the next 16 that will be left out, has proven that they're able to. USD is jumping up and down saying, we can if you give us the chance. well, you had the chance - 11 open dates to schedule games - and you didn't get it done.

GOTOREROS
November 1st, 2006, 12:45 AM
Here's what you said before . . it sure as hell seems like you're saying you place a lot more faith in the coaches poll since they "know football" . . although very few if any coaches actually fill out their ballots themselves. that, in essence, makes the coaches poll a "fan poll" for SIDs . . who have the same knowledge base as the voters on AGS.

thanks for trying to get me to "think globally". I don't place faith in any one poll more than the others . . the coaches (SIDs), The Sports Network (SIDs/media) or AGS (fans) . . and I think I've been pretty consistent throughout.

I am trying to play devil's advocate. What I posted is what someone could say to you - I am trying to get you to see that your opinion is as valid as someone else's, no better no worse. So your post about not understanding how others have USD so high can be flipped on its head - and the same could be said about why you have USD so low. Make sense now? People can easily wonder why someone wouldn't have USD as a top ten team.....that's all I am trying to get people to see. There is no cut and dry answer as much as people may want there to be one...hence the GPI....

Your opinion is fine but just because you think SoS is the end all be all does not make it so - if it was USD wouldn't be #10 in the GPI....you may be right, you may be wrong. We will find out in a few weeks.

Stang Fever
November 1st, 2006, 12:47 AM
SO USD should be in the Playoffs with the rest of the full schollie teams who beat other full schollie teams. while USD hasnt played any full schollie teams. I never even thought about that until I read a previous post

rb45070
November 1st, 2006, 12:47 AM
Just thought I would add fuel to the fire. According to the latest Saragin ratings San Diego's SOS is 226 out of 240 if I am not mistaken. Im not trying to argue wether you do or dont deserve a spot, Im just leaving a fact for others to see. For a point of reference, Appalachian is at 147 for SOS and 66th in the ratings..

95 San Diego AA = 63.64 8 0 34.03( 226)

GOTOREROS
November 1st, 2006, 12:49 AM
the bolded section is argument #1 why USD doesn't deserve a playoff bid. everybody else in the field, and the next 16 that will be left out, has proven that they're able to. USD is jumping up and down saying, we can if you give us the chance. well, you had the chance - 11 open dates to schedule games - and you didn't get it done.

Well, the bolded reason is why there are "100 threads" as someone else joked. It is pure conjecture on how USD would do against Montana or ASU or someone else. You wanted me to respond to your questions - I have given you an honest assessment, yet you refuse to allow that your opinion may or may not be correct. I have said that since USD has not faced a scholarship team yet, we do not know how this specific team would do. You can certainly pull out a million resons why USD loses, but again, the term "Any Given Saturday" applies or do you not believe in this phrase? If we simply went by historical anaylsis games would never be played and we could go off the past 10 results and save people from injuries etc. Instead we play each game because ANYTHING can happen...

cosmo here
November 1st, 2006, 12:49 AM
So your post about not understanding how others have USD so high can be flipped on its head - and the same could be said about why you have USD so low.

I didn't say that - it was FargoBison.

I have San Diego #21, I've had them #21 for the last three weeks, and I'll continue to vote them #21 until they lose. For me, that's the glass ceiling. I'll give San Diego five spots into the top 25 . . but unless you play somebody better than Yale - or play three or four teams on par with Yale - you're not a top 20 team.

November 1st, 2006, 12:51 AM
Just thought I would add fuel to the fire. According to the latest Saragin ratings San Diego's SOS is 226 out of 240 if I am not mistaken. Im not trying to argue wether you do or dont deserve a spot, Im just leaving a fact for others to see. For a point of reference, Appalachian is at 147 for SOS and 66th in the ratings..
95 San Diego AA = 63.64 8 0 34.03( 226)Yeah, Sag alone doesn't mean much... BTW, Sag also ranks USD #10 overall in I-AA.
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=81825

GOTOREROS
November 1st, 2006, 12:52 AM
SO USD should be in the Playoffs with the rest of the full schollie teams who beat other full schollie teams. while USD hasnt played any full schollie teams. I never even thought about that until I read a previous post

Well I would say the NCAA classifies USD as a I-AA team regardless of having scholarships or not. Petition the NCAA to kick USD out if you don't want the rules applied evenly when it comes to consideration....so yeah, if USD gets in it could be as you say.....

GOTOREROS
November 1st, 2006, 12:54 AM
I didn't say that - it was FargoBison.

I have San Diego #21, I've had them #21 for the last three weeks, and I'll continue to vote them #21 until they lose. For me, that's the glass ceiling. I'll give San Diego five spots into the top 25 . . but unless you play somebody better than Yale - or play three or four teams on par with Yale - you're not a top 20 team.

Well, you have me answering for other peoples posts so I figured it was fair game. Again, that's you opinon which is fine. Others including myself disagree and have them as high as #10.......and like I said the committee will decide what is to be....you may not like my answer but again, that is reality.

cosmo here
November 1st, 2006, 12:54 AM
I have said that since USD has not faced a scholarship team yet, we do not know how this specific team would do.

The first time you play a scholarship team should be Nov. 25 vs. UC Davis, not Nov. 25 vs. Montana. To take a spot from another team that has put in the work, playing a scholarship schedule, would be an injustice, just to give San Diego a chance to prove themselves. Again, you had 11 chances.

yes, any given saturday means just that . . it also means Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 . . Oct. 7, 14, 21, 28 . . and Nov. 4, 11 and 18. that's when everybody else is facing AGS week in and week out. receiving one of the eight games on Nov. 25 is a reward for that.

Stang Fever
November 1st, 2006, 12:57 AM
Well I would say the NCAA classifies USD as a I-AA team regardless of having scholarships or not. Petition the NCAA to kick USD out if you don't want the rules applied evenly when it comes to consideration....so yeah, if USD gets in it could be as you say.....

Well thats awhole other story cause for me. I dont think I-AA non schollie should even be I-AA. in my eyes they are DIII. Its like trying to get in the "Club from the Tub" (cant make the big play if you are always hurt and never playing) I did not say that they could not get in cause they are I-AA but the point I was making was that.

All the other teams who will be in the playoffs played all teams with Schollies or most games. while USD didnt play any.

cosmo here
November 1st, 2006, 12:59 AM
I'd like to thank all those people who helped me get to 500 posts. :thumbsup:

Good night everybody !! xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

GOTOREROS
November 1st, 2006, 01:04 AM
Well the NCAA says you are DI in everything with a classification for football since it is a unique sport. So there is no way USD will ever be DII, or DIII. I'm sure Gonzaga would have something to say about such a policy as would other schools in the same boat who don't even have football. I understand what you are trying to say but I could argue that a DI school must have a basketball gym that holds 5,000 or more and in such a case Mott Gym would rule you out of DI.....right? Thankfully the NCAA has flexability in how it calssifies schools...DI, DI-AA, and DI-AAA....

GOTOREROS
November 1st, 2006, 01:05 AM
I'd like to thank all those people who helped me get to 500 posts. :thumbsup:

Good night everybody !! xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

My pleasure - see you later!

November 1st, 2006, 01:37 AM
The first time you play a scholarship team...The first two USD games were against scholarship teams (albiet not D-I). Then Yale (need based aid).

ASU Kep
November 1st, 2006, 01:56 AM
I don't know if USD fans would like me or not...I say give 'em a shot...but am 200% convinced Montana will rip them a new a$$hole in the first round should they get in. xlolx

usdtoreros
November 1st, 2006, 02:01 AM
I don't know if USD fans would like me or not...I say give 'em a shot...but am 200% convinced Montana will rip them a new a$$hole in the first round should they get in. xlolx

Seems like there are two thoughts on USD:

1) Let them in and see how they do (these people are split between USD getting killed (the majority) and USD at least having a chance)
2) Don't let them in, because it will open the flood gates for future playoff selections (teams will start scheduling down just to get in)

I am sure people will keep arguing until the playoff selections come out, but there doesn't seem to be anything to convince either side to change their view.

ASU Kep
November 1st, 2006, 02:06 AM
I think USD has a halfway decent shot of making it, and you know ASU would be stoked if you guys actually did beat Montana or C-P (whoever you'd end up with, suffice to say it'd be a seed and you guys would be massive dogs).

Ivytalk
November 1st, 2006, 08:20 AM
Well perhaps it is because this is If you are sick of the USD talk now, what are you going to do when "San Diego" month comes knocking here on AGS?

If I'm not mistaken, in order to get a "month" on AGS, you have to contribute financially. I don't see any green bar below your screen name, so ante up. Send Ralph a check.:nod:

Torero Tradition
November 1st, 2006, 10:02 AM
The first time you play a scholarship team should be Nov. 25 vs. UC Davis, not Nov. 25 vs. Montana. To take a spot from another team that has put in the work, playing a scholarship schedule, would be an injustice, just to give San Diego a chance to prove themselves. Again, you had 11 chances.

yes, any given saturday means just that . . it also means Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 . . Oct. 7, 14, 21, 28 . . and Nov. 4, 11 and 18. that's when everybody else is facing AGS week in and week out. receiving one of the eight games on Nov. 25 is a reward for that.

So your saying USD doesn't put in the work? They dont practice, prepare work out day in and day out? USD plays in the PFL, they have to play the conference slate.

AggiePride
November 1st, 2006, 10:58 AM
So your saying USD doesn't put in the work? They dont practice, prepare work out day in and day out? USD plays in the PFL, they have to play the conference slate.

You know exactly what he was talking about.

Stick to your motto. Atta boy!

cosmo here
November 1st, 2006, 12:50 PM

and in the nonleague schedule, you played Azusa Pacific, Dixie State and Yale. I'll ignore UC Davis for now, since you play them after the playoffs are selected. with that league schedule, you'd have to play a minimum of three top-notch nonleague games and win all of them to even have a shot, and your AD and head coach should have known that going in. I'm assuming they're smart, reasonable men. but they scheduled Azusa Pacific, Dixie State and Yale.

so once again, put in the work (against the teams on the schedule that you can control - I thought that was just understood before, but I guess I have to be specific) against a playoff-caliber schedule, and then see where you stack up. there are 80 or 90 teams that would love to play your schedule next year if you're "gifted" into the playoffs.

Torero Tradition
November 1st, 2006, 01:44 PM
Well those 80 or 90 teams aren't in the PFL so they will not be able to play our schedule. Why does everyone like to ignore Yale and the fact they are the #1 Ivy team right now?

FargoBison
November 1st, 2006, 02:06 PM
Why does everyone like to ignore Yale and the fact they are the #1 Ivy team right now?

Because they haven't played Princeton or Harvard yet, well see how good they are after those games.

cosmo here
November 1st, 2006, 02:20 PM
Well those 80 or 90 teams aren't in the PFL so they will not be able to play our schedule. Why does everyone like to ignore Yale and the fact they are the #1 Ivy team right now?

so if the PFL schedule is that weak, why should San Diego receive credit for playing it and winning against it? and that still ignores the fact that you played Azusa Pacific, Dixie State and Yale as your nonleague games scheduled before the playoffs.

Torero Tradition
November 1st, 2006, 04:26 PM
so if the PFL schedule is that weak, why should San Diego receive credit for playing it and winning against it? and that still ignores the fact that you played Azusa Pacific, Dixie State and Yale as your nonleague games scheduled before the playoffs.

I agree that Azusa and Dixie game is a joke and does nothing for any team... but look at what USD has done with their schedule. You can't do any better with it than what they are doing. On top of that, look at all the rankings and stats for I-AA football. USD IS A LEGIT PLAYOFF TEAM, but people don't want them in soley based on their schedule. AND FOLKS, it's not like all those teams are cupcakes... YALE?!

Johnny5
November 1st, 2006, 04:42 PM
I agree that Azusa and Dixie game is a joke and does nothing for any team... but look at what USD has done with their schedule. You can't do any better with it than what they are doing. On top of that, look at all the rankings and stats for I-AA football. USD IS A LEGIT PLAYOFF TEAM, but people don't want them in soley based on their schedule. AND FOLKS, it's not like all those teams are cupcakes... YALE?!

Sure you can do better than what they are doing...YSU/ISU/NIU/Montana/App State are doing the same things with harder schedules:smiley_wi

Stang Fever
November 1st, 2006, 04:45 PM
If I see one more USD person point to Yale as the Loan victory that means anything. I am gonig to shoot myself. all the teams are cupcakes except YALE. thats it

AggiePride
November 1st, 2006, 05:07 PM
If I see one more USD person point to Yale as the Loan victory that means anything. I am gonig to shoot myself. all the teams are cupcakes except YALE. thats it

Get your gun ready.

Also, you're in for a real treat if you like a full list of every statistical ranking they have accumilated this year against local high schools. Thats my fav.

*Bang*

GOTOREROS
November 1st, 2006, 05:12 PM
Get your gun ready.

Also, you're in for a real treat if you like a full list of every statistical ranking they have accumilated this year against local high schools. Thats my fav.

*Bang*

Well, for a LONE victory it is a real nice victory....

cosmo here
November 1st, 2006, 05:15 PM

We don't know how good any team is except for looking at the schedule of who they played. You're right, San Diego can't do any better against their schedule than they're doing - but they should have scheduled better if they expected to have a playoff team. Yale's good, and they're the only win that you're able to point to. They also haven't played Harvard or Princeton yet.

as for the stats - come on. USD is putting up numbers against a schedule that the top 40-50 teams in I-AA would crush.

Maverick
November 1st, 2006, 05:26 PM
Have a hard time supporting a team whose schedule should have been sponsored by Hostess. Other than Yale, it has been the Twinkie of the week march to being undefeated. No amount of stats against this array of Little Debbie all-stars whatever the rank can be validated no matter the sheer volume of repetitive wails of how great the Toreros are and they are being shafted by a vast conspiracy.

The schedule that was set-up by your two chief Ding-Dongs (AD and Head Coach) has always been and remains your own self-constructed obstacle to the FCS Playoffs.

All of the rhetoric on this board in all of the threads has yet to eliminate that fact. That is the truth that will in the end be the reason USD will be in the Gridiron Classic for post-season competition.

Everything else is "sound and fury signifying nothing".

Torero Tradition
November 1st, 2006, 07:53 PM
If San Diego is one of the top teams, they should play in the playoffs pure and simple. Isn't that the job of the committee, get the best teams in there?

SLO_LIFE
November 1st, 2006, 07:58 PM
I, for one, will never have "sympathy respect" for a team with a weak schedule, something they alone have control over.

I look at USD's schedule, and it just screams, "We don't plan to make the 2006 playoffs!" If they were planning to make a run at the playoff field, why would they schedule any game, let alone their potential "signature" game, for the week after Selection Sunday? Certainly, a man with Coach Harbaugh's credentials would not be oblivious to this fact.

Before the season, I believe any reasonable outsider would have looked at USD's schedule and expected them to do exactly what they've done thus far, all the while knowing that there'd be no reason to mention them for the playoffs. Have USD done exactly what we expected them to do? Yes, and we salute them for that. But does that change what we've known all along? Certainly not.

With their choice of schedule, USD entered into an agreement with the rest of the I-AA world, an agreement that we shouldn't feel the least bit guilty about upholding.

SLO_LIFE
November 1st, 2006, 08:06 PM
AND FOLKS, it's not like all those teams are cupcakes... YALE?!

You refer to the Yale victory the way real playoff contenders refer to I-A wins.

Torero Tradition
November 1st, 2006, 08:06 PM
RANKINGS
15th in the CSN POLL
19th in the AGS POLL

G.P.I
10th

cosmo here
November 1st, 2006, 08:30 PM
RANKINGS
15th in the CSN POLL
19th in the AGS POLL

G.P.I
10th

You forgot #1 Mid-Major too !! :thumbsup:

cosmo here
November 1st, 2006, 08:31 PM
You refer to the Yale victory the way real playoff contenders refer to I-A wins.

solid point my man :nod:

Torero Tradition
November 1st, 2006, 08:51 PM
There are a couple solid teams in the PFL

Stang Fever
November 1st, 2006, 11:22 PM
why doesn't the Yale win convince you... it was at there place...
Simple...its the only win against someone worth a fart. You talk about Yale like they are a National Power or something. like you just took down App st., Montana, etc. Yes Yale is putting together a pretty good season. So if Yale is a 10 (out of a 1-10 scale) what the heck number would you give Azusa Pacific, Dixie St. etc I hope nothing higher then a 4. Yes You are blowing all the cup cakes out....imagine if you didnt. I would pray that you were good enough to blow these teams out. is USD good enough to beat some top teams. maybe, but your coach, your Ad had how many months to replace Azusa Pacific, Dixie St with: Sac St., Southern Utah, Weber St, Texas St, Eastern Washington, even Savannah St. (all are at the bottom of there conference) and each of these teams would more then likely be undefeated against those teams you play, except YALE

why doesn't all our rankings convince you we can play?
Another easy answer. If your best football player in high school went and played awhole season against the JV teams in there league and had out of these world numbers, does that mean he is the best player in the country. No. okay. say a Heavy Weight boxer went down and played against all the middle weights out there and knocked each and everyone of them out. does that mean he should get a title shot. NO

So putting up great numbers against unequal opponents does not mean anything to anyone. The team is good no doubt about it. *against that level of comp.
how are we ranked that high?

I would not have you ranked so high. As more teams step up you will be leaped frogged.

Don't the stats tell you anything?
Yes they do tell you a lot about a team. There is a reason why GSU quarterback never won the walter payton award. Those were all padded stats which came in all blow out games against far unequal talent. When every game you play in is a blow out it says one of two things, either the teams you play are really sorry, or you are playing teams far below your level. Which means you should either replace those teams from your schedule or be glad you are not playing better teams.

Have you even seen some of the players on the USD team or their coaching staff...

NO I have not. Have you seen UNI play, have you seen Portland St play, have you seen Southern Illionios play. I judge you by your wins on quality teams. the main point being QUALITY VICTORIES. YALE IS THE ONLY ONE.

this team is talented and well coached.

Torero Tradition
November 1st, 2006, 11:41 PM
Sounds like pent up frustration... you very well could lose a playoff spot to the Toreros... better beat montana this weekend :)

Poly Pigskin
November 2nd, 2006, 04:01 AM
Sounds like pent up frustration... you very well could lose a playoff spot to the Toreros... better beat montana this weekend :)

...Or NDSU the following week. You see, since our schedule is actually worth a damn, we can afford to lose a game every once in awhile and still get in. You lose to Jacksonville or Dayton, and you can forget about everything.

I can't believe I bother replying to these threads...it's like talking to a freaking wall. :bang:

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 10:28 AM
I agree... if San Diego loses, they are done... i'm not saying Cal Poly shouldn't get in either, but a couple loses in the final two weeks will hurt you.

cosmo here
November 2nd, 2006, 10:36 AM
I agree... if San Diego loses, they are done... i'm not saying Cal Poly shouldn't get in either, but a couple loses in the final two weeks will hurt you.

for the purpose of this conversation (at-large bid to the playoffs), San Diego's already done.

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 10:45 AM
how can they already be done... did the committee announce that? :)

cosmo here
November 2nd, 2006, 10:48 AM
how can they already be done... did the committee announce that? :)

Let me put it this way: since you're big on the "regionalization" of the playoffs (even though it has nothing to do with the teams selected, only where the selected teams are sent), if a 10-0 San Diego team with eight DI wins is selected over an 8-3 Cal Poly team with seven DI wins, the selection process is a travesty.

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 12:31 PM
why? and who knows... Cal poly may have 4 losses when all is said and done :)

Poly Pigskin
November 2nd, 2006, 01:23 PM

Because you are pointing to Yale as your only quality win. If we get to 8, then we have quality wins over Davis, San Diego State, and either Montana or NDSU. That looks like a better resume to me.

cosmo here
November 2nd, 2006, 01:44 PM

The quote button is clearly marked in the bottom right of a message you'd like to reply to. Try it sometime, it's fun !! :thumbsup:

Pard4Life
November 2nd, 2006, 01:48 PM
Let me put it this way: since you're big on the "regionalization" of the playoffs (even though it has nothing to do with the teams selected, only where the selected teams are sent), if a 10-0 San Diego team with eight DI wins is selected over an 8-3 Cal Poly team with seven DI wins, the selection process is a travesty.

Plus, wins over Butler, Valpariso, and Morehead St, teams that lose to D2 programs, hardly constitute DI wins... 7-4 CP should be invtied over 10-0 USD anyday.. if not, the committee needs their head examined...

Anyhow, I look foward to San Diego playing Monmouth 11/18... should be a good one... a good offense vs. top defense, and then UC Davis 11/25 as a nice consolation to playoff action.

Poly Pigskin
November 2nd, 2006, 01:54 PM
Plus, wins over Butler, Valpariso, and Morehead St, teams that lose to D2 programs, hardly constitute DI wins... 7-4 CP should be invtied over 10-0 USD anyday.. if not, the committee needs their head examined...

I would agree, except that we have a DII win so that would leave us at 6-4 vs DI opponents and therefore ineligible.

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 02:21 PM

Anyhow, I look foward to San Diego playing Monmouth 11/18... should be a good one... a good offense vs. top defense, and then UC Davis 11/25 as a nice consolation to playoff action.

So you are saying Monmouth has a top defense but USD has only a good offense. LOL... San Diego has the #1 ranked offense in all of I-AA football

BeauFoster
November 2nd, 2006, 02:29 PM
So you are saying Monmouth has a top defense but USD has only a good offense. LOL... San Diego has the #1 ranked offense in all of I-AA football

Stats mean nothing when you play lesser competition. I bet the Oakland Raiders could go 10-0 against the MAC and would lead the world in stats for those ten games.

BTW, this was not intended to put down the MAC in anyway by comparing them to SOS of USD. I sincerely appologize to all MAC fans by associating you with both the Raiders and USD.

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 03:46 PM
Does Lehigh deserve to be in the playoffs?

cosmo here
November 2nd, 2006, 03:48 PM
Does Lehigh deserve to be in the playoffs?

Lehigh, Lafayette, Colgate or Holy Cross all deserve to be in the playoffs if they win the Patriot League's automatic bid, which was earned a decade ago and has been maintained by consistently competitive performances - both in the playoffs and in non-league games - highlighted by Coglate's trip to the national championship game in 2003.

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 03:54 PM
This years Lehigh team lost to Yale, which USD crushed. I think this years USD team would have a legit shot at the Patriot League title if we were in that conference...

cosmo here
November 2nd, 2006, 03:57 PM
This years Lehigh team lost to Yale, which USD crushed. I think this years USD team would have a legit shot at the Patriot League title if we were in that conference...

listen man, you beat Yale once. that's a lot different than playing a full schedule of Patriot League and Ivy League teams.

and start pressing the damn quote button.

windwalker
November 2nd, 2006, 04:09 PM

Well the Mods could start a special forum like the one for the Great West Conference. Then the USD fans could bore themselves only..:smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi

Whats a Torero
November 2nd, 2006, 04:20 PM
Well the Mods could start a special forum like the one for the Great West Conference. Then the USD fans could bore themselves only..:smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi
Great...University of San Diego is the "Top Team in Town" and we only draw 2,600 fans for our last home game. Not sure what that says about San Diego as a football town. It appears half of our fans have now joined AGS.

windwalker
November 2nd, 2006, 04:27 PM
We don't know how good any team is except for looking at the schedule of who they played. You're right, San Diego can't do any better against their schedule than they're doing - but they should have scheduled better if they expected to have a playoff team. Yale's good, and they're the only win that you're able to point to. They also haven't played Harvard or Princeton yet.

as for the stats - come on. USD is putting up numbers against a schedule that the top 40-50 teams in I-AA would crush.

the highlight is the point. When they scheduled a game for the 25th.. they did not expect a playoff bid. Why should they now?????

Poly Pigskin
November 2nd, 2006, 05:34 PM

That's the best idea anyone has had yet.

No_Skill
November 2nd, 2006, 06:39 PM

Call me crazy, but I find this very entertaining. xlolx

Mountaineer#96
November 2nd, 2006, 06:58 PM
This is very entertaining..........I would love USD to get in the playoffs, then they either put up, or all these fans shut up. I think they will prolly b*tch about having to play such a high seed the first game if they get in. I know if they are in they will likely travel to Montana if everything plays out.

Question for San Diego fans........... If you had your choice, between traveling to Montana or App. State for the opening round game which one would you personally like to see happen? The streak out here will likely be intact after this weekend, so if you want a shot at the title and the streak you gotta come to Kidd Brewer baby. Ask Furman what its like out here. Strange things happen when the elevation hits:nod: :nod: .

Mountaineer#96
November 2nd, 2006, 06:59 PM
This is very entertaining..........I would love USD to get in the playoffs, then they either put up, or all these fans shut up. I think they will prolly b*tch about having to play such a high seed the first game if they get in. I know if they are in they will likely travel to Montana if everything plays out.

Question for San Diego fans........... If you had your choice, between traveling to Montana or App. State for the opening round game which one would you personally like to see happen? The streak out here will likely be intact after this weekend, so if you want a shot at the title and the streak you gotta come to Kidd Brewer baby. Ask Furman what its like out here. Strange things happen when the elevation hits:nod: :nod: .

like blowouts:bow:

Whats a Torero
November 2nd, 2006, 07:15 PM

Firstly, "all these fans" amounts to a few AGS fanatics that you can count on your hands. Keep in mind that we only had 2,600 show up for our last home game. I wish there was an apples-to-apples comparison here so I could answer your question in the context in which it was asked, but were simply not talking about a fan base that compares to the scholarship schools. That being said...I choose Montana. I'd like to experience gameday in Missoula.

No_Skill
November 2nd, 2006, 07:33 PM
I also love the alliteration.

Toreros Top Team in Town
Terrific Toreros on Torrid Playoff Chase

You can't buy this kind of entertainment. :rotateh:

I can just picture this guy thuming through his thesaurus, swiftly searching for a superlative synonym.

I wonder how long he searched for a synonym for "playoff" that started with "T". Oh wait, how about this:

Terrific Toreros on Torrid Tournament Trail.

Freaking Fantastic :bow: = me

Mountaineer#96
November 2nd, 2006, 07:38 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx thats great stuff
I also love the alliteration.

Toreros Top Team in Town
Terrific Toreros on Torrid Playoff Chase

You can't buy this kind of entertainment. :rotateh:

I can just picture this guy thuming through his thesaurus, swiftly searching for a superlative synonym.

I wonder how long he searched for a synonym for "playoff" that started with "T". Oh wait, how about this:

Terrific Toreros on Torrid Tournament Trail.

Freaking Fantastic :bow: = me

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 09:46 PM

I would like to start in Montana and work are way out East...:thumbsup:
Seriously, if had a choice, I think Montana would be the obvious location (western school) and apparently has a sweet stadium, fans and tradition.

I don't think any USD fans would complain about seed... the coaching staff fully expects to face #1 seed if they get in at all.

BigApp
November 2nd, 2006, 10:19 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Frosty The Snowbuff
November 2nd, 2006, 10:24 PM
He forgot #1 Cupcake Schedule....

But heh.....they've beaten who they've played.

It worked for Hampton last year....Why not them???

cosmo here
November 2nd, 2006, 10:25 PM
He forgot #1 Cupcake Schedule....

But heh.....they've beaten who they've played.

It worked for Hampton last year....Why not them???

Fortunately for Hampton, the MEAC has an automatic bid, so it hasn't mattered who they played as long as they won the league.

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 10:43 PM
which brings up another topic... does the MEAC deserve a playoff bid... or should the Great West Conference gobble that up?

Poly Pigskin
November 2nd, 2006, 10:52 PM
which brings up another topic... does the MEAC deserve a playoff bid... or should the Great West Conference gobble that up?

You need 6 teams for an autobid, we have 5. Buy hey, you guys are more than welcome to add a few schollies and come play with the big boys! :nod:

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 11:07 PM
Also sounds like you might be losing teams from the GWC...

LeopardFan04
November 2nd, 2006, 11:09 PM

That gets close to the team A beat team B which beat team C, so therefore, team A is better than team C...transitive property of football...it doesn't work that way...

LeopardFan04
November 2nd, 2006, 11:10 PM

I really don't think the MEAC would lose their bid...I think that if there are new conferences which qualify for autobids there may need to be playoff expansion...but that's a story for another day and another thread...

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 11:18 PM
A mass exodus of teams to I-A could impact conferences as well... but you are right, another day and another thread

Goodbye WKU
P.S. Harbaugh's dad used to coach there, won a national championship :)

cosmo here
November 2nd, 2006, 11:29 PM
A mass exodus of teams to I-A could impact conferences as well... but you are right, another day and another thread

Goodbye WKU
P.S. Harbaugh's dad used to coach there, won a national championship :)

Hey, just like his son is trying to do (by making a mockery of the system) !! xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 11:35 PM
how did his dad make a mockery of the system?

cosmo here
November 2nd, 2006, 11:40 PM
how did his dad make a mockery of the system?

f$## off, you know exactly what I was saying . . don't patronize me

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 11:43 PM
Do you think Jack has some pull with the supposed "Old Guard" ? Could older Harbaugh actaully have any extra influence swaying USD's way?

cosmo here
November 2nd, 2006, 11:47 PM
Do you think Jack has some pull with the supposed "Old Guard" ? Could older Harbaugh actaully have any extra influence swaying USD's way?

as a lifelong Michigan fan it kills me to say this, but if your head coach stopped running his mouth long enough to schedule some real nonleague games, we wouldn't be in this situation now where the biggest Yale fans outside of New Haven live in southern California. this is an end run around the system and he knows it, there's no respect for I-AA including the caliber of programs that his dad was associated with.

Torero Tradition
November 3rd, 2006, 10:12 AM
Why don't they post the regional rankings? Seems like it would be fair to every fan to see what they are thinking in terms of the playoffs...

LeopardFan04
November 3rd, 2006, 10:15 AM
Why don't they post the regional rankings? Seems like it would be fair to every fan to see what they are thinking in terms of the playoffs...

There are no regional rankings. The top 8 at large teams are taken based on the committee's decisions, not geography. After the 16 playoff teams are decided then the pairings are done in respect to geography, conference affiliations, etc.

Torero Tradition
November 3rd, 2006, 10:21 AM
wow, another uninformed I-AA fan...

Torero Tradition
November 3rd, 2006, 10:23 AM
From Mr. C, the I-AA Master...

Quote:
Originally Posted by th0m
Regional rankings?? No such thing. Where do you think this thing called East coast bias comes from? People like San Diego fans.

Yes, Virginia, there are Regional Rankings. The NCAA I-AA selection committee does conference calls every Monday after a particular point in the season to discuss playoff stuff. There is a regional chairman for the east, south, midwest and west and there are sub-committee members from each region, who advise these chairmen before they go to Indianapolis. If you check some of the archives of I-AA.org, you will find some columns dealing with the selection process. Anyway, the regional committee rank the teams in their region every week and this information is then passed along to the full selection committee during their Monday teleconferences. For example, in the south (and this is just speculative rankings, not anything from any committee member I might actually know) the four sub-committee members might have App State ranked first, followed by Coastal Carolina, Furman, Hampton, Charleston Southern, Delaware State, South Carolina State, Gardner-Webb and any other team that still has a legitimate shot at being playoff eligible. The different regions all do this and then pass that information along in the teleconferences, so that committee members have an idesa about what experts in each region think about teams. Hope this clears some things up for you.

LeopardFan04
November 3rd, 2006, 10:26 AM

I assume this is directed towards my comments above. Yes, many of us are aware of the info sent to the committee. You are insinuating, however, that I-AA has regional rankings along the same lines as D2. If you are the number 6 team in the Northeast in D2 (with the 24 team playoff field) you make the playoffs. If you are #4 in the West in I-AA there is no guarantee.

cosmo here
November 3rd, 2006, 10:28 AM

yeah, you would know :rolleyes:

since the rankings are only circulated internally by the NCAA committee members, I think a reasonably educated I-AA fan could be forgiven for not knowing that those are generated weekly. there's no excuse for your relentless and patronizing assertions that San Diego is a playoff team while overlooking their schedule, however.

BEAR
November 3rd, 2006, 10:29 AM
So UC Davis might drop USD so USD can make the playoffs?:confused:

Torero Tradition
November 3rd, 2006, 10:34 AM
I think it would be USD dropping UC Davis... either way :)

GOTOREROS
November 3rd, 2006, 10:36 AM
So UC Davis might drop USD so USD can make the playoffs?:confused:

Well, while it may not be a great move USD or most other teams do not have to play games if they wish to pull out. There may be a financial penalty in the contract for not playing a game, but the NCAA cannot "force" a team to play a game. This happens all the time but usually in the off-season allowing the other team time to find a replacement. This is the "dicey" part of the USD vs. UC Davis game - Davis would be out a game and unless re-scheduled for December would be essentially screwed.

If this does happen I cannot blame Davis fans for being pissed........

BEAR
November 3rd, 2006, 10:47 AM
USD dropping a game to make the playoffs? Forgive me for having a DII view, but doesn't that go against the very reason you play the season? I thought it was "settled on the field" and not "twisted to fit " in the coaches offices. I know nothing about USD. Maybe they have a great team. Maybe they will win the championship if they go. But maybe they shouldn't go if they don't even have the b@lls to play every game like everyone else. :nono: I thought DII was a tough place to get into the playoffs, but if a school can nonschedule a game and essentially knock another deserving team out of the playoffs at this level, then it sucks even more here..:nonono2: Prove it on the field in the "full" regular season and the playoffs will weed out the pretenders. :thumbsup:

BEAR
November 3rd, 2006, 10:49 AM
Well, while it may not be a great move USD or most other teams do not have to play games if they wish to pull out. There may be a financial penalty in the contract for not playing a game, but the NCAA cannot "force" a team to play a game. This happens all the time but usually in the off-season allowing the other team time to find a replacement. This is the "dicey" part of the USD vs. UC Davis game - Davis would be out a game and unless re-scheduled for December would be essentially screwed.

If this does happen I cannot blame Davis fans for being pissed........

Wow! You answered my question. :read: I don't understand that, but if it is allowed by the NCAA..so be it....crazy...:bang: xlolx

Torero Tradition
November 3rd, 2006, 11:56 AM
Maybe Davis was wrong for scheduling a potentially playoff eligible team so late in the season :)

usdtoreros
November 3rd, 2006, 12:11 PM
I didn't want to start a new USD thread, but here is an article on Josh Johnson in today's paper. It also has a video for those of you who have yet to see him play (not the best quality, but better than nothing). Even I think Harbaugh is going a little overboard this time with his "best quarterback in all of college football." xlolx

Josh Johnson UT Article (http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/usd/20061103-9999-lz1s3playmake.html)

Guard Dawg
November 6th, 2006, 05:05 PM
No QB should be eligible for the Payton with such a cupcake schedule

Guard Dawg
November 7th, 2006, 12:14 AM
I think it would be USD dropping UC Davis... either way :)

The only thing USD needs to drop is that Cupcake schedule

SDFan
November 7th, 2006, 02:12 AM
The only thing USD needs to drop is that Cupcake schedule

Thank you for bringing up such redundant points, which I do agree with. But don't complain that there are a lot of USD threads, the Guard Dawg resurrected them.

And don't knock Johnson untill you've seen him play. TRUST ME.

Torero Tradition
November 7th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Thank you for bringing up such redundant points, which I do agree with. But don't complain that there are a lot of USD threads, the Guard Dawg resurrected them.

And don't knock Johnson untill you've seen him play. TRUST ME.

Johnson is the real deal... but will never get a real chance to win the Payton... we would have to play in a Scholarship conference, IMHO.