PDA

View Full Version : WKU vs UNI - Playoff hopes on the line

galojay
October 31st, 2006, 11:41 AM
Big game in the Dome this Saturday. Two 5-3 teams from a tough Gateway Conference with their backs against the wall. Both hoping for a win and to live another week with playoff hopes.

What's everyone thinking? The Dome is not an easy place, but the Toppers have handled it in the past. If I recall, Toppers have not lost in the Dome since joining the Gateway.

nmatsen
October 31st, 2006, 11:57 AM
WKU has had good success in the dome, this is true. Its kind of funny that in this series since WKU came to the gateway that the visiting team has had the upper hand. UNI is 0-2 in the dome and WKU is 1-2 at home. I would be very worried about this game had we not lost to WIU last weekend. I know this team will react stronly to the loss they suffered last weekend. UNI plays best when there backs are against the wall.

ysubigred
October 31st, 2006, 12:03 PM
WKU has had good success in the dome, this is true. Its kind of funny that in this series since WKU came to the gateway that the visiting team has had the upper hand. UNI is 0-2 in the dome and WKU is 1-2 at home. I would be very worried about this game had we not lost to WIU last weekend. I know this team will react stronly to the loss they suffered last weekend. UNI plays best when there backs are against the wall.

Move the game to a neutral site (Youngstown) UNI would win for sure :bang: :bow:

I wish both teams could lose :confused: That would really help my Guins :D

birdsflyhigh
October 31st, 2006, 12:05 PM
Is that right? The Tops have NOT lost in the UNI-Dome since joining the Gateway? That's amazing!!

WKU has gotten off the mat and proved they are a team that can contend for a playoff spot. Like a couple of other Gateway teams, UNI got a wake up call (theirs courtesy of the Leathernecks). Think the Panthers will be ready to bounce back this week and take this game. It should be a real battle, but UNI defends at home.....breaking the Hilltoppers streak of dome wins.

Even if WKU loses this one, if they win the remaining 2 games on their sched (YSU and Austin Peay both at home), they finish at 7-4 and would have to still be a contender for a playoff spot as a bubble team.

UNI, with a roadtrip to Carbondale looming next week, NEEDS to win over the Tops to keep advancing their playoff chances. Life in the Gateway...WOW!!!!! :eek:

galojay
October 31st, 2006, 12:17 PM
Even if WKU loses this one, if they win the remaining 2 games on their sched (YSU and Austin Peay both at home), they finish at 7-4 and would have to still be a contender for a playoff spot as a bubble team.

Nope, disagree. 4 losses and the Toppers done. With the I-A vote Thursday and the likely result that it will be approved, I don't see the selection committee giving WKU any favors.

Killtoppers90
October 31st, 2006, 12:22 PM
I am hoping the trend of the road team winning continues, but I know it will be a slim chance to escape the Dome victorious! :D

shakdaddy3
October 31st, 2006, 12:38 PM
i'm not gonna lie, if you would have told me that this game would make or break the playoffs for WKU and UNI a couple weeks ago i would have laughed for 2 reasons... 1) i thought WKU's playoff hopes were dead after losing to us b/c i didn't think they would do well against some of the other top teams in the conference. 2) in no way, shape, or form did i think that UNI would lose to WIU nor did I think they would have 3 losses at this point... on top of that, i didn't think their 2 of their 3 losses would have been to North Dakota and WIU... i thought, at most, they would have 2 losses [iowa state and YSU]... underachieving thus far for UNI, but there is still life... IMO, WKU is overachieving right now compared to how they underachieved at the beggining of the season... that's just my opinion...

i'm gonna say WKU wins this one and Flyytown gets to rip on cap'n for a year while cap'n continues to make rediculous comments while his team is home for the playoffs :)

BillLuc1982
October 31st, 2006, 02:25 PM
Go WKU! I hope they wins so if the Penguins go 9-2, they win the Gateway without having to worry about head-to-head with Northern Iowa.

Killtoppers90
October 31st, 2006, 02:32 PM
Go WKU! I hope they wins so if the Penguins go 9-2, they win the Gateway without having to worry about head-to-head with Northern Iowa.
You are assuming that you will beat us there Bill!

BillLuc1982
October 31st, 2006, 02:36 PM
You are assuming that you will beat us there Bill!

We better not take you lightly. Knowing Coach Heacock, we won't. Every game is a playoff game. We just better not play like we did against Northern Iowa. Penn State was the only team that beat us. Against UNI, we beat ourselves!

nmatsen
October 31st, 2006, 02:41 PM
Oh really? I seem to remember marching the first three drives we had down the field with relative ease, that is of course because you were messing up. That had nothing to do with us doing something right.

BillLuc1982
October 31st, 2006, 02:47 PM
Oh really? I seem to remember marching the first three drives we had down the field with relative ease, that is of course because you were messing up. That had nothing to do with us doing something right.

But we have no excuse to turn the ball over like that! You would struggle against East Junior High turning the ball over like that! We would have lost to WIU playing like that.

FlyYtown
October 31st, 2006, 03:05 PM
My prediction:
WKU: 24
UNI: 21

The kicker which lost it for them vs. ILSU wins it for them late in the 4th quarter. The season will end for UNI and for the next 9 months we will have to hear how their 4 losses were by a combined 19 points......

And the other thing: that Dome magic is no more... You guys will have won just 2 or 3 games at the dome this year!

LOL I'm just trying to have some fun while I can; I will likely have to eat my words on here...

nmatsen
October 31st, 2006, 03:09 PM
I remember hearing that Dome magic is no more thing before YSU came to the dome last year, what happend there?

FlyYtown
October 31st, 2006, 03:15 PM
I remember hearing that Dome magic is no more thing before YSU came to the dome last year, what happend there?

Hey all I know is you guys must WIN 3 out of 3 vs. 3 of the top 4 in the Gateway for any shot at the playoffs.

Wanna talk dome magic, talk to me when you can actually win in there again this year!!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

wkukid
October 31st, 2006, 03:28 PM
Too bad Northern Iowa is so far away from Bowling Green, I'd love to go. How many people does the dome seat? I have to take WKU here but it's going to be tough.

WKU by 3

FlyYtown
October 31st, 2006, 03:32 PM
Too bad Northern Iowa is so far away from Bowling Green, I'd love to go. How many people does the dome seat? I have to take WKU here but it's going to be tough.

WKU by 3

I think it holds near 16,000; but their attendance is around 10-11K per game..

igo4uni
October 31st, 2006, 03:35 PM
How many people does the dome seat?

Chi Panther
October 31st, 2006, 04:31 PM

igo4uni
October 31st, 2006, 04:35 PM

Ooops...........forgot about those additional 24 seats.:cool: :cool:

PantherRob82
October 31st, 2006, 06:23 PM
Hey all I know is you guys must WIN 3 out of 3 vs. 3 of the top 4 in the Gateway for any shot at the playoffs.

Wanna talk dome magic, talk to me when you can actually win in there again this year!!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

While we're at it, let's talk about last years playoffs. I guarantee you won't see that much whining from us. :rotateh:

Toppermaniac
October 31st, 2006, 10:09 PM

So do we.

igo4uni
October 31st, 2006, 10:17 PM
[/B]

So do we.

I guess that's why we play the game.

nmatsen
November 1st, 2006, 07:17 AM
This is so much more enjoyable than the last month on AGS, we started the Gateway season with MSU and INSU and their fan bases on here are basically non-existent. We then had to deal with out of their mind, un-realistic, 2 touchdown victory predicting YSU fans then back to a non-existent fan base in WIU. Finally, we have come to an oppenent that is realistic, existent, not arrogant, respectful and kind of fun to have message board talk with. Isn't it great? Fly, you should take notes! The best part about it is that the next two weeks (besides when I post my annual "what is a saluki post") will be the same way.

PantherRob82
November 1st, 2006, 06:33 PM
The best part about it is that the next two weeks (besides when I post my annual "what is a saluki post") will be the same way.

As long as you post "the story" with it. :D

FlyYtown
November 1st, 2006, 07:41 PM
Hey I've cleaned up my act.. period.... Don't need to comment anymore on that.....

My daily rant is with UMASS fans about pretty much who is better and who the better back is; and conference.

C-mon UNI fans; you gotta back me up there!!!:D :D :D :D :D

go mason
go guins
go gateway!

Chi Panther
November 2nd, 2006, 11:48 PM
I don't know if I'm nervous for this game or just in a state of shock:confused: ......I guess maybe both.......:bang:

AZGrizFan
November 3rd, 2006, 12:14 AM
My money is on the Dr. Jekyl UNI team showing up and staying in the playoff race for at least another week. Good riddance WKU....have fun as a doormat in the Sun Belt. :p :p :p ;)

TopsInDaVille
November 3rd, 2006, 12:36 AM
I don't think anyone but Indiana State would enter the Sun Belt as a doormat right now. Give us two years, and we'll be middle of the pack right off the bat.

Some of you people need to get over your I-AA complex. I love I-AA football, but how can you bemoan anyone who decides to make the jump?

th0m
November 3rd, 2006, 05:18 AM
Gateway games are hard to crack, but I'll take WKU with the win.

BillLuc1982
November 3rd, 2006, 06:56 AM
I think UNI controls the tempo in the dome tomorrow.

BisBison
November 3rd, 2006, 07:34 AM
I hope you panthers give the WKU boys a going away present. Kick their butts a little, so they remember where they came from.:nod: :nod:

Killtoppers90
November 3rd, 2006, 08:25 AM
I hope you panthers give the WKU boys a going away present. Kick their butts a little, so they remember where they came from.:nod: :nod:
Hey Bull (or bison or whatever you are) who the freak thinks WE DON'T know where we came from?

nmatsen
November 3rd, 2006, 08:58 AM
Thats the way to set your goals high "in two years we will be right in the middle of the pack" Really, is that where you want to be? In the middle of the pack in the worst football conference in all of I-A football? Set the sights a little higher. You could win that conference NEXT YEAR WKU!!!!

TopsInDaVille
November 3rd, 2006, 11:30 AM
The two years is in reference to the transition period. We'll be able to compete right off the bat when we're full-fledged I-A in 2009. (Hopefully we can knock off one or two I-A schools in 07 and 08 to generate a little buzz, but I'm not going to count on it.)

I'm not going to say we could win that conference next year. We have to get our talent level and our scholarships up. Luckily, we have some very talented freshmen on this team and a talented QB transfer from Notre Dame who should soothe the transition. My dream is for us to play in the New Orleans Bowl in 2010. (I know that will generate some laughs, but I'll take that trip over Chattanooga every day of the year and twice on Sunday. No offense, Mocs!)

Tod
November 3rd, 2006, 01:09 PM
I don't think anyone but Indiana State would enter the Sun Belt as a doormat right now. Give us two years, and we'll be middle of the pack right off the bat.

Some of you people need to get over your I-AA complex. I love I-AA football, but how can you bemoan anyone who decides to make the jump?

Hate to do this, but..."give us two years" and "right off the bat"?

Good luck.

Toppermaniac
November 3rd, 2006, 10:33 PM
Hate to do this, but..."give us two years" and "right off the bat"?

Good luck.

He's referring to the two year transition period. We can't compete for the conference title until the transition period has expired.