Western Carolina @ USF
Gardner-Webb @ Furman
Samford @ TCU

OL FU
August 25th, 2014, 09:21 AM
Reinhardt College @ Mercer
Chattanooga @ Central Michigan

Wofford @ Georgia Tech
Costal Carolina @ The Citadel (Hope I'm Wrong)
VMI @ Bucknell (Hope I'm Wrong)
Western Carolina @ USF
Gardner-Webb @ Furman
Samford @ TCU

RabidRabbit
August 25th, 2014, 09:24 AM
Thursday, August 28

Chattanooga @ Central Michigan - OK, Mocs, If you're championship quality, here's a FBS scalp that you NEED. Get it!

Saturday, August 30

Wofford @ Georgia Tech
Costal Carolina @ The Citadel
VMI @ Bucknell
Western Carolina @ USF
Gardner-Webb @ Furman
Samford @ TCU - Potential FBS upset?

Smitty
August 25th, 2014, 09:35 AM
Thursday, August 28

Saturday, August 30

Wofford @ Georgia Tech
VMI @ Bucknell
Western Carolina @ USF (as much as I wish)
Gardner-Webb @ Furman
Samford @ TCU

PaladinFan
August 25th, 2014, 09:39 AM

Wofford @ Georgia Tech
VMI @ Bucknell
Western Carolina @ USF
Gardner-Webb @ Furman
Samford @ TCU

kdinva
August 25th, 2014, 09:59 AM
Thursday, August 28

Saturday, August 30
Wofford @ Georgia Tech
VMI @ Bucknell
Western Carolina @ USF
Gardner-Webb @ Furman
Samford @ TCU

SU DOG
August 25th, 2014, 11:28 AM
Mercer - Going away
Central Michigan - UTC may be a little overrated, not trying to start an argument, just a gut feeling. Good luck though - would be a nice SoCon win.

Georgia Tech
The Citadel - Most underrated SoCon team. Upset time.
VMI - Heart, not head pick. Keydets need this one badly.
USF - But SoCon teams will not be pushing Cats around like in the past.
Furman - Not as close as most think. Big South can't repeat fluke year.
TCU - Bulldogs have good defense, but so many playmakers gone on offense. The "O" will need time to gel. Turnovers could make it ugly.

citdog
August 25th, 2014, 11:55 AM
Mercer
central michigan
Georgia Tech
Cadets
Keydets
USF
vermin
Texas Christian

Sandlapper Spike
August 25th, 2014, 12:34 PM
I predict that there will be no tie games this week.

Reign of Terrier
August 25th, 2014, 01:54 PM

Wofford @ Georgia Tech
Coastal Carolina @ The Citadel
VMI @ Bucknell
Western Carolina @ USF
Gardner-Webb @ Furman
Samford @ TCU

longtimemocfan
August 25th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Mercer - Going away
Central Michigan - UTC may be a little overrated, not trying to start an argument, just a gut feeling. Good luck though - would be a nice SoCon win.

Georgia Tech
TCU - Bulldogs have good defense, but so many playmakers gone on offense. The "O" will need time to gel. Turnovers could make it ugly.

xnonox Could be overrated. I can tell that's your opinion. Just based on returning players and how last season played out I would have picked Furman ahead of us. I think we have a lot of unknowns to figure out. Overall we'll be faster and more athletic, but the vacant shoes to fill are by young unproven players. May not know a whole lot until the 3rd game or so. Most of a teams adjustments are made in the first few games of the season.

longtimemocfan
August 25th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Mercer
Chattanooga (Homer pick)

Georgia Tech
Coastal
VMI
USF
Furman
TCU

Skyhawk71
August 25th, 2014, 08:33 PM

Wofford @ Georgia Tech
VMI @ Bucknell
Western Carolina @ USF
Gardner-Webb @ Furman
Samford @ TCU

Teal2018
August 25th, 2014, 11:05 PM
Mercer
Central Michigan
Georgia Tech
Coastal Carolina
Bucknell
USF
Furman
TCU

bonarae
August 25th, 2014, 11:28 PM
Thursday, August 28

Saturday, August 30

Wofford @ Georgia Tech
VMI @ Bucknell
Western Carolina @ USF
Gardner-Webb @ Furman
Samford @ TCU

PaladinFan
August 26th, 2014, 07:09 AM
xnonox Could be overrated. I can tell that's your opinion. Just based on returning players and how last season played out I would have picked Furman ahead of us. I think we have a lot of unknowns to figure out. Overall we'll be faster and more athletic, but the vacant shoes to fill are by young unproven players. May not know a whole lot until the 3rd game or so. Most of a teams adjustments are made in the first few games of the season.

UTC beat Furman last season. I give the nod to the Mocs.

Granted, I'm interested to know how that game would have played out had Reese Hannon played.

Milktruck74
August 26th, 2014, 07:12 AM
2-6 Tough week for the conference.... Mercer and the Furry Men pull off the W. The Mocs hold strong leading late into the 3rd quarter, but the depth of 85 takes a toll and produces a sloppy 4th quarter score pulls the Chippies ahead....as much as it pains me, Chippies by 3.

PaladinFan
August 26th, 2014, 07:19 AM
Mercer - Going away

Georgia Tech

Probably hard to call the GWU a "statement game" in Week 1, but the Running Bulldogs were a thorn in the SoCon's side last year and a quality opponent with a veteran roster.

It is too much to say Furman is out for revenge. I think last year the team was still trying to figure things out, had key guys missing time, and looked awful in Boiling Springs. I have often said that Furman will truly be "back" when they go out and hammer a team like GWU at home. Still, in this game, a 1 point win would be a great result.

walliver
August 26th, 2014, 08:47 AM
Other than a few picks for The Citadel over CCU, there appears to be a great deal of unanimity among this weeks selections.
I posted my selection on the Power Poll thread, and won't re-post them here, by a basically followed the general consensus.

MarkCCU
August 27th, 2014, 10:37 AM

Wofford @ Georgia Tech
Costal Carolina @ The Citadel (Hope I'm Wrong)
VMI @ Bucknell (Hope I'm Wrong)
Western Carolina @ USF
Gardner-Webb @ Furman
Samford @ TCU

The only reason you hope you're wrong is because you know you guys will lose to Coastal Carolina but beat El Cid.

OL FU
August 27th, 2014, 12:14 PM
The only reason you hope you're wrong is because you know you guys will lose to Coastal Carolina but beat El Cid.

It would be difficult to predict Furman over CCU at this point, but know I don't know it:)

MarkCCU
August 27th, 2014, 12:15 PM
It would be difficult to predict Furman over CCU at this point, but know I don't know it:)

There's a saying on college football, " any given Saturday." You may not have heard of it. It's not a common saying.

blackbeard
August 27th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Mercer
Central Michigan
Georgia Tech
Costal Carolina
Bucknell
USF
Furman
TCU

Lehigh'98
August 27th, 2014, 01:13 PM
Reinhardt College 21 @ Mercer 42
Chattanooga 38 @ Central Michigan 34

Wofford 13 @ Georgia Tech 44
Costal Carolina 37 @ The Citadel 21
VMI 10 @ Bucknell 27
Western Carolina 13 @ USF 41
Gardner-Webb 34 @ Furman 28
Samford 13 @ TCU 56

PaladinFan
August 27th, 2014, 01:45 PM
Reinhardt College 21 @ Mercer 42
Chattanooga 38 @ Central Michigan 34

Wofford 13 @ Georgia Tech 44
Costal Carolina 37 @ The Citadel 21
VMI 10 @ Bucknell 27
Western Carolina 13 @ USF 41
Gardner-Webb 34 @ Furman 28
Samford 13 @ TCU 56

Interested to know why you think Gardner Webb will put up 34 on Furman at Paladin Stadium. That's only four points less than Furman surrendered to NDSU in the Fargo Dome.

I expect this will be a low scoring game, not a high scoring game. Two ground and pound teams with tough defenses. If Furman scores 28, I don't think they will lose.

citdog
August 27th, 2014, 01:49 PM
Interested to know why you think Gardner Webb will put up 34 on Furman at Paladin Stadium. That's only four points less than Furman surrendered to NDSU in the Fargo Dome.

I expect this will be a low scoring game, not a high scoring game. Two ground and pound teams with tough defenses. If Furman scores 28, I don't think they will lose.

If vermin has returned to prominence, like a good many of their people seem to think, the paladins should handle gardner webb at home. If they don't..........

jmrepak
August 27th, 2014, 02:09 PM
Mercer - Going away

Wow, a fluke for the Big South yet SoCon wanted VMI... Whatever you say buddy. I see you're really drinking the kool aid with your ElCid pick. We shall see on Saturday.

I've picked Furman to pull this game out on my weekly pick 'em because they're the home team, but I honestly think GWU can make a game of it. They surprised quite a few people last year with their defense, and I agree with you that it will be a low scoring game and 28 should be enough for a purple win.

PaladinFan
August 27th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Wow, a fluke for the Big South yet SoCon wanted VMI... Whatever you say buddy. I see you're really drinking the kool aid with your ElCid pick. We shall see on Saturday.

I've picked Furman to pull this game out on my weekly pick 'em because they're the home team, but I honestly think GWU can make a game of it. They surprised quite a few people last year with their defense, and I agree with you that it will be a low scoring game and 28 should be enough for a purple win.

I expect a hard fought game. After last year's game I thought the 2013 season was going to be a laugher for Furman. Looking back, though, you realize that it took four quarters and a come from behind effort for GWU to beat Furman.

GWU is a tough opponent, and I'm not expecting a cake walk. I do think the Running Bulldogs are going to see a much different Furman team than they saw last year. There's film on the new coaching staff, the game is in Greenville, and Reese Hannon is actually going to play.

PaladinFan
August 27th, 2014, 02:55 PM
If vermin has returned to prominence, like a good many of their people seem to think, the paladins should handle gardner webb at home. If they don't..........

I noted this last year, but my barometer for Furman's return is when they start winning these OOC games convincingly. Furman used to whip teams like GWU. Let's see if they start doing so again.

CitadelGrad
August 27th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Well it is that time of year.

Thursday, August 28

Saturday, August 30

Wofford @ Georgia Tech
VMI @ Bucknell
Western Carolina @ USF
Gardner-Webb @ Furman
Samford @ TCU

The only game that's up for debate is CCU @ The Citadel.

Lehigh'98
August 27th, 2014, 03:31 PM

Just a hunch Furman doesn't show up week 1. I think they will have a very good season and make the playoffs, but potentially could be overlooking GW. Don't worry, my predictions are usually garbage anyway. I do have an avi bet with Citdog on the CCU game. I'm a little more confident in that pick.

PaladinNation
August 27th, 2014, 03:50 PM
Just a hunch Furman doesn't show up week 1. I think they will have a very good season and make the playoffs, but potentially could be overlooking GW. Don't worry, my predictions are usually garbage anyway. I do have an avi bet with Citdog on the CCU game. I'm a little more confident in that pick.

Furman as of late has been a bit slow out of the gate. Add to that Furman has played the last two seasons opening on the road at CCU and GWU. Fowler is a man of details and doing the small things well. His coaching asset IMO over Lamb is his level-headedness and that also becomes the teams DNA. FU will come out and play with purpose and passion.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 27th, 2014, 04:17 PM
Furman just needs to keep Hannon healthy and they will do fine. If he goes down, it's trouble.

I think they beat Gardner-Webb. It could just be an illusion but Furman seemed to get better as the year drug on last year.

MarkCCU
August 27th, 2014, 05:03 PM
Why the love for The Citadel? I'm a fan, have been since the early 90s, but they are so un predictable. Id be cautious to say they are underrated. I wouldn't discount them but, ever have they been in the last several years? Where'd they finish in the conference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reign of Terrier
August 27th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Citadel is always a wild card. I think their game with coastal will prove to be interesting though I can't say if they'll win or not as I don't know enough about either team.

with that said, the general sentiment is that the Citadel will improve upon their inconsistency under a new coach, especially one that ran the wing t with great success

PaladinFan
August 27th, 2014, 08:54 PM
Furman just needs to keep Hannon healthy and they will do fine. If he goes down, it's trouble.

I think they beat Gardner-Webb. It could just be an illusion but Furman seemed to get better as the year drug on last year.

The backup is not a bad player. Furman's problem is they had the backup's backup's backup starting meaningful games.

Point is well taken, though. Hannon is a good quarterback.

It is hard to tell if Furman got better in the second half. They finally got healthy about mid-season and went on a tear. I also think Fowler realized that nobody really had an answer for Andrej Suttles, who went berserk in the second half of the year despite not even starting the first few weeks of the season.

PaladinFan
August 27th, 2014, 08:56 PM

I don't see it. GWU embarrassed Furman last season. Furman was basically in elimination mode most of the season. I think they understand how important it is to come out of the gate strong this year.

I'm not saying GWU won't beat Furman. They absolutely could. I just don't see them scoring 34 points. Furman's defense is pretty stingy.

FUBeAR
August 27th, 2014, 09:22 PM
Citadel is always a wild card. I think their game with coastal will prove to be interesting though I can't say if they'll win or not as I don't know enough about either team.

with that said, the general sentiment is that the Citadel will improve upon their inconsistency under a new coach, especially one that ran the wing t with great success

ElCid may be LIGHTS OUT this year...but I did attend/observe their Spring Game. Their #1's D Front 7 was very impressive and Jeter was absolutely un-blockable all day long. On the other hand, the only thing I saw consistent about their offense was that they consistently put the ball on the ground and they consistently had 2 men in motion (which the refs just stopped calling). Also, their WR's, while impressive physical specimens, did not seem to have the passion for blocking that one would expect from a team that has been and still is deploying a run-oriented offense. All of that said, new coaching staff, new system, etc. - they could have that whirring like a well-oiled machine by now - and I suspect Coach Houston will find WR's that want to block if he has to dress Spike the Mascot out to do it - I'm just saying what I saw in the Spring Game. Also, I don't know how inconsistent they may have been in the past, so what I saw on O, as ugly as it was (at the time), could have been, as you stated, an improvement over past years. I will be interested to observe their progress on O this season from what I saw that day.

citdog
August 27th, 2014, 09:35 PM
ElCid may be LIGHTS OUT this year...but I did attend/observe their Spring Game. Their #1's D Front 7 was very impressive and Jeter was absolutely un-blockable all day long. On the other hand, the only thing I saw consistent about their offense was that they consistently put the ball on the ground and they consistently had 2 men in motion (which the refs just stopped calling). Also, their WR's, while impressive physical specimens, did not seem to have the passion for blocking that one would expect from a team that has been and still is deploying a run-oriented offense. All of that said, new coaching staff, new system, etc. - they could have that whirring like a well-oiled machine by now - and I suspect Coach Houston will find WR's that want to block if he has to dress Spike the Mascot out to do it - I'm just saying what I saw in the Spring Game. Also, I don't know how inconsistent they may have been in the past, so what I saw on O, as ugly as it was (at the time), could have been, as you stated, an improvement over past years. I will be interested to observe their progress on O this season from what I saw that day.

We'll be lucky to even take the field without fumbling and tripping over our own feet. I assume the Roper Hospital Ambulance will be waiting at the end of the block C of Knobs to carry off the casualties.

Reign of Terrier
August 27th, 2014, 09:38 PM
I went to middle school with Jeter. Good guy.

OL FU
August 28th, 2014, 05:11 AM
Furman as of late has been a bit slow out of the gate. Add to that Furman has played the last two seasons opening on the road at CCU and GWU. Fowler is a man of details and doing the small things well. His coaching asset IMO over Lamb is his level-headedness and that also becomes the teams DNA. FU will come out and play with purpose and passion.

I agree about our start. After last year's opening season disaster (not just GWU but the first half of the season) and the strong second half finish, it would be very disappointing if Furman doesn't show up week1. I don't expect that to happen.

ElCid
August 28th, 2014, 05:44 PM
Reinhardt College @ Mercer--I think Mercer will try to make a statement, as much as they can against RC
Chattanooga @ Central Michigan--Mocs will make a very close game of it.
Wofford @ Georgia Tech--Blowout
Coastal Carolina @ The Citadel--I have high hopes but I think CC will come out scoring fast...plus lots of changes for the Dogs
VMI @ Bucknell--close, but VMI has a long way to go
Western Carolina @ USF-blowout
Gardner-Webb @ Furman--Furman wins an opener against the BS, holy purple puke!
Samford @ TCU--blowout

I think the FBS as a whole, will not get caught like the first couple weeks last year. I hope I am wrong, but I think they will be ready to handle any FCS giant killers.

Reign of Terrier
August 28th, 2014, 07:11 PM
Mercer down 14-10.

I honestly don't feel threatened by them at this point

Apphole
August 28th, 2014, 07:25 PM
UTC up 10-0 on Central Mich (FBS)

Some guy behind the counter at Subway is FREAKING OUT right now.

walliver
August 29th, 2014, 07:35 AM
So far, the week has gone as expected.
Chatty gave mighty Central Michigan a good game but choked.
Mercer managed to pull out a slim victory over a second year start-up NAIA program. I really expected a better showing. VMI may actually get a conference win this year.

PaladinFan
August 29th, 2014, 08:07 AM
So far, the week has gone as expected.
Chatty gave mighty Central Michigan a good game but choked.
Mercer managed to pull out a slim victory over a second year start-up NAIA program. I really expected a better showing. VMI may actually get a conference win this year.

I think most Mercer fans expected a more comfortable victory. Still, lot of improvements are made between week 1 and week 2.

They may have to go back to the drawing board on defense.

OL FU
August 29th, 2014, 08:31 AM
I think most Mercer fans expected a more comfortable victory. Still, lot of improvements are made between week 1 and week 2.

They may have to go back to the drawing board on defense.

With all the talk about Lamb in other threads, defense was never his strong point. Not sure about it coordinators.

PaladinFan
August 29th, 2014, 08:58 AM
With all the talk about Lamb in other threads, defense was never his strong point. Not sure about it coordinators.

No, he inherited elite defenses from Bobby Johnson (and Bruce Fowler). After that group, you could count the really good defensive players on one hand.

Not only the players, but the technique. Furman's tackling in 2008-2009 was awful.

OL FU
August 29th, 2014, 09:34 AM
No, he inherited elite defenses from Bobby Johnson (and Bruce Fowler). After that group, you could count the really good defensive players on one hand.

Not only the players, but the technique. Furman's tackling in 2008-2009 was awful.

I don't understand if you are agreeing or disagreeing. But if you are disagreeing, you should l look at opponents point totals starting in 2005(Which was a great year where we simply outscored most people)

PaladinFan
August 29th, 2014, 09:44 AM
I don't understand if you are agreeing or disagreeing. But if you are disagreeing, you should l look at opponents point totals starting in 2005(Which was a great year where we simply outscored most people)

Oh, no, I am agreeing with you. Our 2003 defense was perhaps Furman's best. Our teams started to get progressively worse on defense as they years progressed. Then Lamb went to a 4-2-5 and things really went off the rails.

Granted, I also don't think Furman is playing in a league with App State at their peak and good Georgia Southern teams. Those teams could put up 40 points before you could turn around.

chattownmocs
August 29th, 2014, 09:56 AM
Chattanooga's question mark in the back 7 has been answered. The question of whether Mercer can be competitive this year have been answered as well.

citdog
August 29th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Chattanooga's question mark in the back 7 has been answered. The question of whether Mercer can be competitive this year have been answered as well.

Your questions are answered alright. Need an extra guy to give the others the Heimlich.

OL FU
August 29th, 2014, 01:06 PM
Oh, no, I am agreeing with you. Our 2003 defense was perhaps Furman's best. Our teams started to get progressively worse on defense as they years progressed. Then Lamb went to a 4-2-5 and things really went off the rails.

Granted, I also don't think Furman is playing in a league with App State at their peak and good Georgia Southern teams. Those teams could put up 40 points before you could turn around.

Thanks for the clarification. Just got confused with the way the sentence started. First, I like Bobby Lamb. He will always be MR Furman for me. But with all the justifiable discussions of his offenses at Furman, they were usually good enough to win most games. But defense just fell way short.

PaladinFan
August 29th, 2014, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the clarification. Just got confused with the way the sentence started. First, I like Bobby Lamb. He will always be MR Furman for me. But with all the justifiable discussions of his offenses at Furman, they were usually good enough to win most games. But defense just fell way short.

Except in 2003. :) That offense couldn't score on the Shady Acres Nursing Home football team, but the defense only surrendered 13 points per game.

6-5 season and the defense gave up less than two touchdowns a contest. That offense was some sorta bad.

OL FU
August 29th, 2014, 01:53 PM
Except in 2003. :) That offense couldn't score on the Shady Acres Nursing Home football team, but the defense only surrendered 13 points per game.

6-5 season and the defense gave up less than two touchdowns a contest. That offense was some sorta bad.

Yeah no doubt. Why 2004 pleases me and ticks me off so much. We had both.

AshevilleApp2
August 31st, 2014, 05:17 AM
I know there are no such things as moral victories. But congratulations to Western on playing USF so tough.

PaladinFan
August 31st, 2014, 07:11 AM
Furman's Reese Hannon broke his ankle. Done for the year.

No one said it would be easy.

catamount man
August 31st, 2014, 08:59 AM
I know there are no such things as moral victories. But congratulations to Western on playing USF so tough. The CATS can hang with AAC teams. Last night's 5 point loss and 2005's 7-3 loss to Cincinnati. Maybe we should apply for AAC membership. LOL! It was a good showing but, alas, USF's true freshman RB was just too much. The pass happy CATS threw it around the field about as much as they did under Bob Waters back in the day. Troy Mitchell torched USF for 374 yards passing, completing 46 of 66 attempts. CATS have two Division II teams up next and should be 2-1 when they go to Paladin Stadium September 27. GO CATS!

- - - Updated - - -

That stinks for that kid and for Furman. Good luck except 9/27. GO CATS!

AshevilleApp2
August 31st, 2014, 09:25 AM

Hate to hear it. I hope the backup is enough.

The Cats
August 31st, 2014, 09:31 AM
We'll be lucky to even take the field without fumbling and tripping over our own feet. I assume the Roper Hospital Ambulance will be waiting at the end of the block C of Knobs to carry off the casualties.

WOW - You nailed that one. xthumbsupx

Did you also buy a lottery ticket? xnodx

citdog
August 31st, 2014, 01:57 PM
WOW - You nailed that one. xthumbsupx

Did you also buy a lottery ticket? xnodx

Didn't y'all LOSE too? We lost to a better team than you did. Still 1 DI win in how many years????

catamount man
August 31st, 2014, 02:00 PM
Didn't y'all LOSE too? We lost to a better team than you did. Still 1 DI win in how many years????

Coastal is not better than South Florida but keep telling yourself that. Try not to give up 100 to the Seminoles. LOL!

citdog
August 31st, 2014, 02:01 PM
Coastal is not better than South Florida but keep telling yourself that. Try not to give up 100 to the Seminoles. LOL!

Actually they are. About 14 pts better.

catamount man
August 31st, 2014, 02:03 PM
Actually they are. About 14 pts better. You lie so much I don't even think you know what is real and what isn't anymore. Sad.

OL FU
August 31st, 2014, 02:08 PM
Ah hell you have to give the dog credit. After all, according to him, El Cid was going to stomp the teal out of the chickens.:)

The Cats
August 31st, 2014, 03:32 PM
A very good Week 1 Wrap-up by the blog - SoCon Recruiting

http://soconrecruiting.com/2014-week1-wrapup/ …

catamount man
August 31st, 2014, 08:19 PM
That's a good write up. THE CATS need to maul both Brevard and Catawba these next 2 weeks. WCU-Furman may just be one for the ages if all goes well. Some of the best games in the series have occurred at Paladin Stadium. 1983 playoff win for Western, 1984 and 1986 regular season games were both barn burners that WCU won and of course the last time the CATS won in Greenville, 1994, was a good showing as well. Stoked for this weekend. GO CATS!

OL FU
September 2nd, 2014, 06:04 AM
That's a good write up. THE CATS need to maul both Brevard and Catawba these next 2 weeks. WCU-Furman may just be one for the ages if all goes well. Some of the best games in the series have occurred at Paladin Stadium. 1983 playoff win for Western, 1984 and 1986 regular season games were both barn burners that WCU won and of course the last time the CATS won in Greenville, 1994, was a good showing as well. Stoked for this weekend. GO CATS!

You bastards tore our goal post downxrolleyesx