PDA

View Full Version : Citadel Uniforms Approved By NCAA

DFW HOYA
August 21st, 2014, 06:31 AM
http://www.postandcourier.com/storyimage/CP/20140820/PC20/140829964/AR/0/AR-140829964.jpg&maxw=800&q=90

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20140820/PC20/140829964

Laker
August 21st, 2014, 07:03 AM
I didn't know that South Florida had tried to put "The Team" on the back but it wasn't allowed.

"By interpretation, only military service academies may substitute words such as Honor, Integrity, etc., for the player's name on the back of the jersey ... civilian institutions may not substitute other words for the player's name."

clenz
August 21st, 2014, 07:14 AM
McNeese puts McNeese on the back...

Is that okay since it's the school name?

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

Milktruck74
August 21st, 2014, 08:37 AM
What about "He Hate Me"?

NoDakBizon
August 21st, 2014, 08:46 AM
http://www.postandcourier.com/storyimage/CP/20140820/PC20/140829964/AR/0/AR-140829964.jpg&maxw=800&q=90

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20140820/PC20/140829964

Looks like someone sat in a lil "duty".

NoDak 4 Ever
August 21st, 2014, 08:49 AM
What was that thing NIU did for their bowl game a couple years ago? The one they got creamed in.

PAllen
August 21st, 2014, 08:50 AM
Works for me. Do the players get to pick which one is one their back? I could see a lot of honor, a little duty, and no respect. ;)

MplsBison
August 21st, 2014, 10:40 AM
How is Citadel allowed to do this but South Florida is not allowed to have "The Team" on the back?

clenz
August 21st, 2014, 10:45 AM
How is Citadel allowed to do this but South Florida is not allowed to have "The Team" on the back?
From post number 2 IN THIS THREAD

AND THE FREAKING LINK

In the NCAA rulebook, Rule 1-4-5 says that other than the player's number, the jersey may contain only the player's name, school name, NCAA logo, sleeve stripes, the American and/or state flag and a logo for the school, conference, mascot, postseason game, memorial or the military.
The rule also states: "By interpretation, only military service academies may substitute words such as Honor, Integrity, etc., for the player's name on the back of the jersey ... civilian institutions may not substitute other words for the player's name."

Turns out The Citadel is a military institution...

CrazyCat
August 21st, 2014, 10:52 AM
Is this for the whole season or just one game ?

MplsBison
August 21st, 2014, 10:58 AM
From post number 2 IN THIS THREAD

AND THE FREAKING LINK

Turns out The Citadel is a military institution...

That's a load. The Citadel is a private college.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 21st, 2014, 11:00 AM
Rule 1-4-5 says that other than the player's number, the jersey may contain only the player's name, school name, NCAA logo, sleeve stripes, the American and/or state flag and a logo for the school, conference, mascot, postseason game, memorial or the military.
The rule also states: "By interpretation, only military service academies may substitute words such as Honor, Integrity, etc., for the player's name on the back of the jersey ... civilian institutions may not substitute other words for the player's name."

Hence why McNeese was, and is, still in the clear.

TheRevSFA
August 21st, 2014, 11:08 AM

You're incorrect. The Citadel is a public college and it's one of the six senior military colleges in the USA.

Laker
August 21st, 2014, 11:08 AM
Is this for the whole season or just one game ?

From the article:

"The Citadel plans to wear the navy blue jerseys "once or twice" this season, coach Mike Houston said."

TheRevSFA
August 21st, 2014, 11:09 AM
In the event you are wondering, the six Senior Miliary Colleges are

University of North Georgia
The Citadel
Norwich University
VMI
Virginia Tech
Texas A&M

clenz
August 21st, 2014, 11:16 AM
Also since we know mpls will try again to say it's a private institution

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/the-citadel-3423

The Citadel is a public institution that was founded in 1842. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 2,629, its setting is urban, and the campus size is 300 acres. It utilizes a semester-based academic calendar. The Citadel's ranking in the 2014 edition of Best Colleges is Regional Universities (South), 4. Its in-state tuition and fees are $12,237 (2013-14); out-of-state tuition and fees are $31,038 (2013-14).
The Citadel, also known as The Military College of South Carolina,

General Information

School type
public, coed college

Year founded

Religious affiliation
N/A

Academic calendar
semester

Setting
city

2012 Endowment
$200,495,082

kdinva
August 21st, 2014, 11:17 AM
In the event you are wondering, the six Senior Military Colleges are

The Citadel
Norwich University
VMI
Virginia Tech
Texas A&M

right on the button!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senior_Military_College

clenz
August 21st, 2014, 11:19 AM
Hell, the schools official name is (taken straight from the school's website)

THE CITADEL - THE MILITARY COLLEGE OF SOUTH CAROLINA

Sandlapper Spike
August 21st, 2014, 11:53 AM

The Citadel
Norwich University
VMI
Virginia Tech
Texas A&M

This is correct. Incidentally, the only private school on this list is Norwich.

PaladinNation
August 21st, 2014, 12:19 PM
From the article:

"The Citadel plans to wear the navy blue jerseys "once or twice" this season, coach Mike Houston said."

puke… I bet we'll see them on Nov. 8th!

MplsBison
August 21st, 2014, 12:47 PM
Hell, the schools official name is (taken straight from the school's website)

THE CITADEL - THE MILITARY COLLEGE OF SOUTH CAROLINA

The University of Pennsylvania must be the state flagship public university of PA.

xrolleyesx

clenz
August 21st, 2014, 12:49 PM
The University of Pennsylvania must be the state flagship public university of PA.

xrolleyesx
Um...da fuq?

That is The Citadel's official name, per their website.

MplsBison
August 21st, 2014, 12:53 PM

The Citadel
Norwich University
VMI
Virginia Tech
Texas A&M

None of which are "Military Service Academies".

What a joke.

citdog
August 21st, 2014, 12:54 PM
None of which are "Military Service Academies".

What a joke.

None of them claim to be FEDERAL service academies.

MplsBison
August 21st, 2014, 12:56 PM
Um...da fuq?

That is The Citadel's official name, per their website.

I disproved your assertion that having "of [State Name]" in the school's official title means that it's a public school.

You were wrong. I corrected you. Glad you're up to speed now.

MplsBison
August 21st, 2014, 12:58 PM
None of them claim to be FEDERAL service academies.

Hence why none of them should be treated under the NCAA rule exemption that is granted only for "Military Service Academies".

Basically, someone at the NCAA screwed it up. The Citadel should not have been allowed to use those uniforms.

citdog
August 21st, 2014, 01:02 PM
Hence why none of them should be treated under the NCAA rule exemption that is granted only for "Military Service Academies".

Basically, someone at the NCAA screwed it up. The Citadel should not have been allowed to use those uniforms.

When you commission more Officers every year than anyone other than hudson high, canoe u, and the colorado school of golf instruction the rules apply.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 21st, 2014, 01:02 PM
I disproved your assertion that having "of [State Name]" in the school's official title means that it's a public school.

You were wrong. I corrected you. Glad you're up to speed now.
You're wrong and were kicked aside. Start accepting it instead of trying to be a dickhead. Keep it up and I see a lot of server timeouts etc. in your future.

MplsBison
August 21st, 2014, 01:06 PM
When you commission more Officers every year than anyone other than hudson high, canoe u, and the colorado school of golf instruction the rules apply.

No they don't. Specifically they don't.

Glad that you're training officers. Good for you. The U of Minn and NDSU have had ROTC programs for many, many years. Yet you don't see them trying to obtain special designations that are meaningless.

MplsBison
August 21st, 2014, 01:07 PM
You're wrong and were kicked aside. Start accepting it instead of trying to be a dickhead. Keep it up and I see a lot of server timeouts etc. in your future.

I was wrong. Yes I admit, I was wrong about The Citadel being a public school.

But I was correct that it is not a "Military Service Academy" (per the wording of the NCAA rule) and I was correct that just because a school's official title includes "of [State Name]" does not mean it's a public school.

I rest my case.

Glad Citadel fans will enjoy the uniforms.

citdog
August 21st, 2014, 01:12 PM
No they don't. Specifically they don't.

Glad that you're training officers. Good for you. The U of Minn and NDSU have had ROTC programs for many, many years. Yet you don't see them trying to obtain special designations that are meaningless.

The folks who MADE the rules say they do. I'll accept their decision. If they said we couldn't we wouldn't. It's not like we of South Carolina have a long history of being rebellious or anything.

Cocky
August 21st, 2014, 01:18 PM
We may put Donate, Money and Contribute on the back of our jerseys.

kdinva
August 21st, 2014, 01:24 PM
The U of Minn and NDSU have had ROTC programs for many, many years. Yet you don't see them trying to obtain special designations that are meaningless.

The "List of Six" institutions' Cadet Corps were set up to produce "citizen soldiers", as a rule of thumb. Hence, that declaration.....

OL FU
August 21st, 2014, 01:26 PM
The "List of Six" institutions' Cadet Corps were set up to produce "citizen soldiers", as a rule of thumb. Hence, that declaration.....

I thought the Citadel was set up to fight "damn Yankees";)

NoDak 4 Ever
August 21st, 2014, 01:27 PM
We may put Donate, Money and Contribute on the back of our jerseys.

Why not? Seems like lots of different institutions put things on the back of their jerseys.

I like having nothing.

TheRevSFA
August 21st, 2014, 01:35 PM
The rules of Senior Military Colleges

Baccalaureate degrees must be granted.
All physically fit male students must take courses in military training. Exceptions to this requirement include foreign nationals, prior-service personnel, and students specifically excused by a professor of military science.
Outside ROTC, the school must establish a corps of cadets in which all students wear military uniforms. The corps of cadets involves a military environment in which the students live constantly, not just during the school day, and in which the students are subject to military discipline.
The SMC must have as an objective the development of character through military training and the regulation of cadet conduct according to principles of military discipline (a cadet code of conduct).
The SMC must maintain military standards similar to those of the federal service academies (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/wiki/United_States_Service_academies).

That is why they are different from colleges who have ROTC and are similar to Federal Service Academies and fall under the exempt list.

I know that's a lot for you to take in, so let me sum it up for you in two words "You're Wrong"

citdog
August 21st, 2014, 01:44 PM
I thought the Citadel was set up to fight "damn Yankees";)

By 1842 it was obvious to a great many people that a collision with the general government was coming.

OL FU
August 21st, 2014, 02:01 PM
By 1842 it was obvious to a great many people that a collision with the general government was coming.

South Carolinians give a lot of thought to major decisions and then all of a sudden it's yee haw and we lose our minds:)

DFW HOYA
August 21st, 2014, 02:17 PM

The senior military colleges in the US:

Division I:
The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina
Texas A&M University
Virginia Military Institute
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

Division II:
North Georgia College & State University

Division III:
Norwich University

Go Green
August 21st, 2014, 03:13 PM

Can the Ivy get in on some of that? We produce more commanders-in-chiefs than anyone.

:)

jimbo65
August 21st, 2014, 03:34 PM
how about West Pt, Annapolis, Air Force & Cost Guard Academt (III)

TheRevSFA
August 21st, 2014, 04:36 PM
how about West Pt, Annapolis, Air Force & Cost Guard Academt (III)

Those are federal service academies not senior military colleges

citdog
August 21st, 2014, 05:13 PM
how about West Pt, Annapolis, Air Force

hudson high, canoe u, and the colorado school of golf instruction

I had already mentioned them by their proper names.

Sader87
August 21st, 2014, 06:00 PM
To belabor the point, how does it (military training) work at Va Tech? Is there a part of the school that is military and another civilian? I've had a few former students go there and I know they aren't in a military program or subsequent military career.

Bill
August 21st, 2014, 07:33 PM
Can the Ivy get in on some of that? We produce more commanders-in-chiefs than anyone.

:)
Green - yes, I believe you guys are first by a mile...I think Harvard alone beats out any conference...but I think #2 is the NESCAC, believe it or not...and then the CAA. William & Mary has 3 or 4, if you count George Washington....

Go Green
August 21st, 2014, 08:44 PM
Green - yes, I believe you guys are first by a mile...I think Harvard alone beats out any conference...but I think #2 is the NESCAC, believe it or not...and then the CAA. William & Mary has 3 or 4, if you count George Washington....

I looked it up, and it looks like you are right.

I was surprised that West Point only had two (Ike and Grant). We've had several generals as presidents, but it seems that most got their undergraduate degrees elsewhere.

MplsBison
August 21st, 2014, 09:41 PM

Baccalaureate degrees must be granted.
All physically fit male students must take courses in military training. Exceptions to this requirement include foreign nationals, prior-service personnel, and students specifically excused by a professor of military science.
Outside ROTC, the school must establish a corps of cadets in which all students wear military uniforms. The corps of cadets involves a military environment in which the students live constantly, not just during the school day, and in which the students are subject to military discipline.
The SMC must have as an objective the development of character through military training and the regulation of cadet conduct according to principles of military discipline (a cadet code of conduct).
The SMC must maintain military standards similar to those of the federal service academies (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/wiki/United_States_Service_academies).

That is why they are different from colleges who have ROTC and are similar to Federal Service Academies and fall under the exempt list.

I know that's a lot for you to take in, so let me sum it up for you in two words "You're Wrong"

Just a second there professor.

You're telling me that every "physically fit male" enrolled at Texas A&M and Virginia Tech has taken courses in military training or has visited a professor of military science to obtain his excuse letter?

I don't think so.

Citadel and VMI, yes I believe that every male in school goes through the fancy ROTC program. But TAMU and VT, no. They must maintain some kind of separate enrollment in order to meet the requirements you list.

MplsBison
August 21st, 2014, 09:42 PM
To belabor the point, how does it (military training) work at Va Tech? Is there a part of the school that is military and another civilian? I've had a few former students go there and I know they aren't in a military program or subsequent military career.

There's no way every male student at TA&M and VT have to take military training courses or be excused by a professor of military science.

They must maintain separate enrollments to conform to the requirements.

Bill
August 21st, 2014, 10:41 PM
There's no way every male student at TA&M and VT have to take military training courses or be excused by a professor of military science.

They must maintain separate enrollments to conform to the requirements.

Mpls - I think you have it about correct - see http://corps.tamu.edu/admissions/

It looks like 1) you have to be accepted to A&M, and then 2) be accepted in the corps

This is way beyond my area of expertise, though. I always wondered what the connection was whenever I watched an A&M home game...

citdog
August 21st, 2014, 10:57 PM
THE Citadel and VMI, yes I believe that every male in school goes through the fancy ROTC program.

Fancy ROTC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMidadrRcpg

Go...gate
August 21st, 2014, 11:32 PM
When you commission more Officers every year than anyone other than Hudson High, Canoe U, and the Colorado School of Golf Instruction, the rules apply.

I love those names! Tell it like it is, Citdog!

Go...gate
August 21st, 2014, 11:38 PM
I just learned a lot about Senior Military Colleges that I never knew before!

Many thanks to all.

rokamortis
August 22nd, 2014, 06:21 AM
Don't forget that the Citadel has civilian options too. Like evening undergraduate programs and graduate school. http://www.citadel.edu/root/eveningundergraduatestudies and http://q1.citadel.edu/root/graduatecollege

TheRevSFA
August 22nd, 2014, 08:07 AM
Mpls - I think you have it about correct - see http://corps.tamu.edu/admissions/

It looks like 1) you have to be accepted to A&M, and then 2) be accepted in the corps

This is way beyond my area of expertise, though. I always wondered what the connection was whenever I watched an A&M home game...

The Corps is what allows A&M to be a SMC.

Mpls won't understand it, but that's okay. Not everyone is intelligent.

Sandlapper Spike
August 22nd, 2014, 11:34 AM

Well, I'm going to disagree with you on The Citadel not being allowed to wear those uniforms.

You could argue that the NCAA "screwed it up", but that has little to do with deciding The Citadel fell within the interpretation of the rule. The interpretation itself lacked clarification. Let's see what it actually says (the interpretation, that is):

By interpretation, only military service academies may substitute words such as Honor, Integrity, etc. for the player’s name on the back of the jersey. This interpretation applies only to the military service academies; civilian institutions may not substitute other words for the player’s name.

You could argue that The Citadel isn't a "military service academy". I might be inclined to agree with you, though that term itself is a bit nebulous (the correct usage should have been "federal service academy").

However, the last part of the interpretation makes it difficult to not allow The Citadel to wear those jerseys, because it is by nobody's definition a "civilian institution". For that reason, and the relative cloudiness of the "military service academy" phrase, The Citadel can (and should) fall under the interpretation's exemption.

Incidentally, the chairman of the rules committee who issued the interpretation? Troy Calhoun, head coach of the Air Force Academy...

Tealblood
August 22nd, 2014, 11:52 AM
Sublime and Tolerate didnt make the cut

Lehigh Football Nation
August 22nd, 2014, 11:59 AM
It's not officially a thread until the PL is involved, so I'll make it official. When James Madison Porter was trying to found his private college in Easton, PA, he made a special trip to Norwich to see how they were organized. He came back from NH with a lot of ideas that were incorporated into Lafayette.

Odd to think Lafayette may have been a "Military Service Academy" for PA in a different reality, but it could have been the case.

MplsBison
August 22nd, 2014, 12:47 PM
The Corps is what allows A&M to be a SMC.

Mpls won't understand it, but that's okay. Not everyone is intelligent.

And here we have it: Texas A&M and Virginia Tech's designation as a SMC is a farce.

Doesn't matter if only 3% of your male student body participates in a rule that supposedly calls for every physically fit male to take required military training.

Guess what? 3% of the males at the U of MN are in ROTC too. They have had an ROTC program for many, many years. Yet they don't feel the need to obtain some phony title.

OK, I'm done posting about the subject. Carry on.

MplsBison
August 22nd, 2014, 12:52 PM
Well, I'm going to disagree with you on The Citadel not being allowed to wear those uniforms.

You could argue that the NCAA "screwed it up", but that has little to do with deciding The Citadel fell within the interpretation of the rule. The interpretation itself lacked clarification. Let's see what it actually says (the interpretation, that is):

You could argue that The Citadel isn't a "military service academy". I might be inclined to agree with you, though that term itself is a bit nebulous (the correct usage should have been "federal service academy").

However, the last part of the interpretation makes it difficult to not allow The Citadel to wear those jerseys, because it is by nobody's definition a "civilian institution". For that reason, and the relative cloudiness of the "military service academy" phrase, The Citadel can (and should) fall under the interpretation's exemption.

Incidentally, the chairman of the rules committee who issued the interpretation? Troy Calhoun, head coach of the Air Force Academy...

In my book, the word academy "sinks your ship", so to speak. There are only five academies, and The Citadel is not one of them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_service_academies (also note in the link that it uses "military academy")

It's quite obvious that the rule was intended only for true academies, not colleges with fancy ROTC programs. I mean no disrespect to The Citadel or the fine people who are enrolled there, of course.

Technically, I would have to agree that you are correct. There's enough wiggle room for someone to squeeze it through. And no one was going to argue with it. Except for me.

citdog
August 22nd, 2014, 12:57 PM
In my book, the word academy "sinks your ship", so to speak. There are only five academies, and The Citadel is not one of them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_service_academies (also note in the link that it uses "military academy")

It's quite obvious that the rule was intended only for true academies, not colleges with fancy ROTC programs. I mean no disrespect to The Citadel or the fine people who are enrolled there, of course.

Technically, I would have to agree that you are correct. There's enough wiggle room for someone to squeeze it through. And no one was going to argue with it. Except for me.

mpls about 3 minutes in the 4th Class System in that 'fancy rotc' would be quite useful to you. I'd be happy to oblige you.

MplsBison
August 22nd, 2014, 01:11 PM
mpls about 3 minutes in the 4th Class System in that 'fancy rotc' would be quite useful to you. I'd be happy to oblige you.

I've seen the men at work in the ROTC building at the U of MN. I never claimed it was easy.

It's far beyond my physical abilities. No thank you!

BluBengal07
August 22nd, 2014, 01:35 PM
great add Citadel. as mention before, when i scanned some comments, can the players choose which word they want or is it given/earned? will each player have a different word?

citdog
August 22nd, 2014, 01:36 PM
I've seen the men at work in the ROTC building at the U of MN. I never claimed it was easy.

It's far beyond my physical abilities. No thank you!

they have no system. I'd enjoy making you rack your beedy little chin in.

PAllen
August 22nd, 2014, 02:24 PM
Cit, stupid question (that I'm too lazy to look up the answer to), do the graduates of the Citadel Corps get commissions in the regular service (like the academies) or the reserves (like the vast majority of ROTC)? Just curious.

citdog
August 22nd, 2014, 02:31 PM
Cit, stupid question (that I'm too lazy to look up the answer to), do the graduates of the Citadel Corps get commissions in the regular service (like the academies) or the reserves (like the vast majority of ROTC)? Just curious.

One can get a Regular Army, Reserve, or National Guard commission from VMI and El Cid.

Sandlapper Spike
August 22nd, 2014, 03:17 PM
"Fancy ROTC"? Uh, not exactly...

August 22nd, 2014, 04:09 PM
Norwich University is located in Northfield, Vermont

MplsBison
August 22nd, 2014, 05:11 PM
they have no system. I'd enjoy making you rack your beedy little chin in.

I'll take the guys at the U of MN ROTC over your's at the The Citadel.

Your designation won't amount to much when you lose in competition.

MplsBison
August 22nd, 2014, 05:14 PM
One can get a Regular Army, Reserve, or National Guard commission from VMI and El Cid.

So if a guy is rejected for entrance to West Point, then accepted at The Citadel and graduates, you're saying he can start out at the exact same position within the Army officer organization as a graduate of West Point?

- - - Updated - - -

"Fancy ROTC"? Uh, not exactly...

No? Elaborate.

SCPALADIN
August 22nd, 2014, 06:22 PM
OK, I'm done posting about the subject. Carry on.

REALLY?

PAllen
August 22nd, 2014, 06:37 PM

Bear with me, I'm trying to learn something in between mpls' ranting.

At the academies, every one gets a regular commission. As I recall, only the top 10% of ROTC get the option of a regular commission, the rest get reserve commissions. OCS graduates all get reserve commissions. How does it work at the Citadel (and VMI for that matter)? Do graduates get to choose branch of service and type of commission?

CID1990
August 22nd, 2014, 07:21 PM

Wrong again.

Sader87
August 22nd, 2014, 07:35 PM

At the academies, every one gets a regular commission. As I recall, only the top 10% of ROTC get the option of a regular commission, the rest get reserve commissions. OCS graduates all get reserve commissions. How does it work at the Citadel (and VMI for that matter)? Do graduates get to choose branch of service and type of commission?

I always thought ROTC grads "owed" years in the service. Isn't that the deal? I know Navy ROTC guys at HC have to spend 5 or so years in the Navy.

Millwoch
August 23rd, 2014, 08:27 AM

All citadel cadets choose an ROTC branch and take ROTC each semester there. Some have ROTC schollys and those guys/gals do owe time for scholly. Over our history the number of cadets taking commissions has gone up and down with the demands of the military branches. For instance during WWII AND VIETNAM wars 90-100% were commissioned. I personally graduated in mid 90s, during the Clinton military downsize. Only around 20% were commissioned. This % went back up again in 2001 and is currently heading back down.

As as far as rank goes it is my understanding the federal academies commissions of same year outrank citadel commissions by one day. And citadel commission outranks the civilian ROTC program by 1 day. At least that's how the army does it. So they fall somewhere in middle. Federal academies always get preference, and it's my opinion they should. Those guys know they are serving and will owe a particular time back.

Ask the Princeton band if you guys want to challenge the corps of cadets. Other than VMI cheerleaders, we hold our own. LOL

MplsBison
August 24th, 2014, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the info Millwoch.

So to belabor the point, The Citadel sounds to me to be nothing more than a public school with a long history of having a fancy ROTC program.

Unquestionably, they produce some very fine military men who go on to have fantastic careers in the military. But that's no different than the U of MN ROTC program, for example. Just that Citadel produces more of them and more often.

But they're back on the other side of the hard line in the sand between college ROTC programs and the federal (military) service academies, where 100% of willing graduates obtain officer track careers in the military.

None of this is meant as an insult towards the school, the program or any of the alumni or enrolled men. But to hear alumni posters talk about The Citadel, you'd think it were on equal (or better) footing with the service academies and that's just simply not the fact.

kdinva
August 24th, 2014, 09:53 AM
But to hear alumni posters talk about The Citadel, you'd think it were on equal (or better) footing with the service academies and that's just simply not the fact.

The five Federal academies (including the USCGA and USMMA) produce "professional" soldiers. The mission of VMI and The Citadel is to produce "citizen" soldiers.

VMI is part of the "Society of the Cincinnati"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_of_the_Cincinnati

The Society is named after Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnatus), who left his farm to accept a term as Roman Consul (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Consul) and served as Magister Populi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Dictator) (with temporary powers similar to that of a modern-era dictator). He assumed lawful dictatorial control of Rome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Republic) to meet a war emergency. When the battle was won, he returned power to the Senate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Senate) and went back to plowing his fields. The Society's motto reflects that ethic of selfless service: Omnia reliquit servare rempublicam ("He relinquished everything to save the Republic")

Every May, one graduating Cadet receives the "Cincinatti Medal"; and they do the same in Charleston.

Society of the Cincinnati Medal
In 1913 the Society of the Cincinnati in the State of Virginia established a fund to provide annually a medal to be awarded by the faculty to the member of the graduating class most distinguished by efficiency of services and excellence of character throughout his/her cadetship.

MplsBison
August 24th, 2014, 06:05 PM
The five Federal academies (including the USCGA and USMMA) produce "professional" soldiers. The mission of VMI and The Citadel is to produce "citizen" soldiers.

VMI is part of the "Society of the Cincinnati"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_of_the_Cincinnati

Every May, one graduating Cadet receives the "Cincinatti Medal"; and they do the same in Charleston.

Excellent info. Thank you for sharing that.

It's clear to me about the separate purposes of VMI/Citadel vs. the Academies.

Go Green
August 29th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Anyone who cares, Vanderbilt is in hot water with the SEC over this issue.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/sec-releases-statement-that-says-vanderbilt-uniforms-were-not-legal-175404310.html

ccd494
August 29th, 2014, 02:52 PM
Anyone who cares, Vanderbilt is in hot water with the SEC over this issue.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/sec-releases-statement-that-says-vanderbilt-uniforms-were-not-legal-175404310.html

The SEC just needed something to say other than "37-7 to Temple? Really?"

Red & Black
August 29th, 2014, 03:07 PM

This is woefully incorrect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk