20 SOUTH DAKOTA STATE 5-3

th0m
October 29th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Woohoo, still #1 :D

October 29th, 2006, 03:01 PM
wacky

blur2005
October 29th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Some of it is sensible but there is no way JMU should be in front of App State, considering the game earlier this year. Also, Western Kentucy?? Top 25? Yes. Number 8? No.

Phrebert
October 29th, 2006, 04:01 PM
1 JAMES MADISON 7-1
2 APPALACHIAN STATE 8-1
3 MASSACHUSETTS 7-1
4 MONTANA 7-1
5 NORTH DAKOTA STATE 7-1
6 CAL POLY 6-2

:confused: :confused: xidiotx :bang: :mad:
What planet is he from

Tod
October 29th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Montana State is 6-3, not 6-2.

October 29th, 2006, 04:35 PM
1 JAMES MADISON 7-1
2 APPALACHIAN STATE 8-1
3 MASSACHUSETTS 7-1
4 MONTANA 7-1
5 NORTH DAKOTA STATE 7-1
6 CAL POLY 6-2

:confused: :confused: xidiotx :bang: :mad:
What planet is he froma little different shuffle and that part looks fine for now :twocents:

JMUfan2008
October 29th, 2006, 05:05 PM
take out our first 2 games (a close one to a great D-II and a loss to App St), now would we be higher? Is that what's holding us back? I'm just wondering what everyone's polls are based on? Past performance or how good you think the team is? Just for those that don't know, JMU is honestly twice as good now compared to at the start of the year.

mcveyrl
October 29th, 2006, 05:21 PM
take out our first 2 games (a close one to a great D-II and a loss to App St), now would we be higher? Is that what's holding us back? I'm just wondering what everyone's polls are based on? Past performance or how good you think the team is? Just for those that don't know, JMU is honestly twice as good now compared to at the start of the year.

I agree that JMU's a lot better, but until ASU loses, they definitely deserve to be ranked above us.

Tod
October 29th, 2006, 06:35 PM

Montana State and SDSU are in the same boat. Worse, in fact.

October 29th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Montana State and SDSU are in the same boat. Worse, in fact.Montana State and SDSU are not in the same boat... but they could tip it over.

kirkblitz
October 29th, 2006, 06:57 PM
come on csu get to number 1

Tod
October 29th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Montana State and SDSU are not in the same boat... but they could tip it over.

JMUfan2008 said: "take out our first 2 games (a close one to a great D-II and a loss to App St...)

I meant doing badly in the first part of the season and recovering. I say worse because MSU and SDSU both did much worse than JMU in the early part, and may not be able to recover from it. Of course, SDSU isn't playoff eligible anyway, so it's a moot point for them, other than pride and a possible conference title.

KiddBrewer
October 29th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Just for those that don't know, JMU is honestly twice as good now compared to at the start of the year.

True, but if you really want to look at it like that, a lot of people would say that Appalachian is probably is too, right now....and since you dont want to look at prior performance, which all polls consider pretty heavily, then Appalachian still might be the best team in the country after Saturday, regardless of all the games before Furman.

Mountaineer#96
October 29th, 2006, 10:38 PM
is this for real, what year is this from????

mcveyrl
October 30th, 2006, 08:02 AM
is this for real, what year is this from????

it, suprisingly, is from this year. hansen's insane. his polls never make sense to me.

however, his site does say that he is a small college football expert. so, i'm not gonna argue with genius...:D :D :D

PurpleandGold
October 30th, 2006, 08:13 AM
JMU is a much better team now than in the first two games so we do deserve a high ranking, but App State is very good and since you have to decide between them, the head to head seems like a very logical way. They should be above us, but switch those two and I like the rest of the top 5. Everybody wants to put UMass above us because they played a I-A, but they just eeked out a 7-0 victory against a team we put away 52-14, granted we caught Northeastern in the middle of a horrible five week road trip. As for Montana, true, they don't have a I-AA loss, but their only quality wins so far are SDSU and PSU, so I can see us higher than them, but it's kind of a toss up.

Pard4Life
October 30th, 2006, 09:04 AM
http://www.donhansen.com/polls/ncaa1-aa.php

OCT. 29, 2006

NCAA I-AA Top 40

1 JAMES MADISON 7-1
2 APPALACHIAN STATE 8-1
3 MASSACHUSETTS 7-1
4 MONTANA 7-1
5 NORTH DAKOTA STATE 7-1
6 CAL POLY 6-2
7 YOUNGSTOWN STATE 7-2
8 WESTERN KENTUCKY 5-3
9 TENNESSEE-MARTIN 7-1
10 ILLINOIS STATE 6-2
11 SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 6-2
12 MONTANA STATE 6-2
13 SAN DIEGO 8-0
14 NORTHERN IOWA 5-3
15 FURMAN 6-3
16 HAMPTON 8-1
17 COASTAL CAROLINA 6-2
18 CHARLESTON SOUTH. 8-0
19 MAINE 5-3
20 SOUTH DAKOTA STATE 5-3

That is 'le terrible'

RabidRabbit
October 30th, 2006, 09:28 AM

This is the tough issue. SDSU stunk up the division to start the season, but at this time, on a 5 game winning streak vs all top 25 the week we played them, them resilent rabbits are a top 20 if not 15 team. But it took 2.5 weeks to figure it out. :read:

blukeys
October 30th, 2006, 10:07 AM
it, suprisingly, is from this year. hansen's insane. his polls never make sense to me.

however, his site does say that he is a small college football expert. so, i'm not gonna argue with genius...:D :D :D

As I stated in a prior post, Hansen does a top 40 ranking of I-AA, D-2, D-3and NAIA. I give him credit for this effort to promote all of these divisions. (He also does a Mid-Major Poll)

IMHO he probably is less knowledgeable about I-AA then many on this board. I think his effort to cover all divisions but I-A is part of the reason he sometimes appears to be out to lunch on I-AA. Hansen is from the Mid West and appears to be more familiar with teams from the Mid-West and I am sure actually gets to see some of their games.

While his "poll" generates plenty of buzz it is not included in the GPI and to my knowledge has little impact beyond his website and this board.

The only real poll worth talking about is the AGS poll which is the best in the land. :hurray: :hurray: . Anyone here can qualify for next year if they are not voting.

From personal experience I can tell you it is more difficult to vote a top 25 then it appears. I try to watch or listen to 3 or more games every weekend so I can get a sense of the team.(The schools podcasting their games are a big help) I read all the threads that have regular game updates (very helpful).

It is a lot of work but there are benefits. I now get questions from all my friends about I-AA as if I'm in every teams' post game meetings.

The Big Question this weekend: What happened to Furman?????????:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have forwarded my recommendations to Bobby Lamb.

Bobcat in NC
October 30th, 2006, 10:31 AM
If memory serves, Montana State was in the mid-30s last week. A dominating (cough!) 6-point win over a 2-6 Weber State team moves the Bobcats up 20+ slots in his rankings? Wow. However, it was nice of Mr. Hansen to wipe the Chadron State (or was it Eastern Washington?) loss off of the Cats record and make us 6-2.

AZGrizFan
October 30th, 2006, 10:49 AM
JMU is a much better team now than in the first two games so we do deserve a high ranking, but App State is very good and since you have to decide between them, the head to head seems like a very logical way. They should be above us, but switch those two and I like the rest of the top 5. Everybody wants to put UMass above us because they played a I-A, but they just eeked out a 7-0 victory against a team we put away 52-14, granted we caught Northeastern in the middle of a horrible five week road trip. As for Montana, true, they don't have a I-AA loss, but their only quality wins so far are SDSU and PSU, so I can see us higher than them, but it's kind of a toss up.

That's funny. What quality wins does JMU have? VMI? Bloomsburg? Rhode Island? I'll give you New Hampshire, but after that, their victories come against opponents with a combined record of 14-27. Of those, only one opponent has even above a .500 record (Richmond at 5-3), and Richmond's only claim to fame is that they beat the vaunted Duke team. Other than that, Richmond has lost to every decent team they've played.

Millwoch
October 30th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Good news is you will have a true number one in several weeks. Just win the tourney.

PurpleandGold
October 30th, 2006, 01:42 PM
That's funny. What quality wins does JMU have? VMI? Bloomsburg? Rhode Island? I'll give you New Hampshire, but after that, their victories come against opponents with a combined record of 14-27. Of those, only one opponent has even above a .500 record (Richmond at 5-3), and Richmond's only claim to fame is that they beat the vaunted Duke team. Other than that, Richmond has lost to every decent team they've played.

let's not forget Northeastern...W-L record isn't everything, the Huskies are a top 25 GPI team. and I'm not saying the Dukes should outrank the Griz, just that it's not a foregone conclusion that it should be the other way around.